Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody, It's the j n V. Charlamagne, the gud We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building from Queens Steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith. Ladies and gentlemen, Let's go. How you feeling.
Speaker 3: I'm good man, how y'all doing Man's Black and Holly favorite the Cowboys and three and one Man you know.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it, purchases tickets say that's the only thing, you know. I got love for Charlamagne, But my god, I mean, I just I don't understand it. Man, Dallas Cowboys like a virus. Man. I mean, you just can't get rid of him. I mean, everywhere you go you see Dallas Cowboys fence. I do not understand it. But you know they got a damn good team this year for their defense as elite their office. But it's still gonna come down to deck. You know.
Speaker 3: You know that, right, you know that. I mean, it's gonna be that moment. And I just want to get because I want to look out for you, because y'all important, you know what I'm saying, And I don't want you to just get into a state of depression. You know, your yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, your enthusiasm just elevates, and then that moment arrives and Dak's gotta come through and it ain't.
Speaker 4: I agree with everything you say about Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: I think your assessment at Dak Prescott on first take is absolutely spot.
Speaker 1: I've never said he's a scrub. I never said he can't play. What I said is that it's about moments, and every time there's a big moment, he has not shown up. It's just that simple, and so he's got to do it. You know, think about this, man, I mean, you got a cat like Brock Purty, mister irrelevant, last pick in the draft, and all this other stuff. He's considered a better quarterback than Dak Prescott and Jalen Hurts he was just in the Super Bowl. He's considered a better quarterback than Dak Prescott. Jared Golf, he's been bawling for the Detroit Lions. He's considered a better quarterback than Dak Prescott. And so when you I was at the Aero Spence Terrence Crawford fight, you know, by the way, an annihilation. I did not expect I picked Crawford to win that fight, but I ain't know it was gonna be like that, but I gotta tell you, I'm at the fight and a whole bunch of Dallas cowboy fans. I'm sorry to Dallas Cowboys. They're there and supremely confident in their defense. And then when you asked him about the quarterback and we believe in him, Steve, y'all know the difference. Y'all know the difference.
Speaker 3: You know, you know you know that that let that little extra hesitation to stutter in there like.
Speaker 1: Damn Yeah, They're like, we know what we gonna do. We hope he's gonna do it well.
Speaker 3: I hope the defense in the running game can over compensate for the flaws that that has.
Speaker 1: Well. Listen, zekiell Leeller is not there anymore. Tony Polla's that dude. He can ball, But can he be that bell cow that can carry the ball as much as they like him too, I don't know that to be the case. Ceedee, Lampkin ball brand, the Cooks can ball. We got that gallop and ball. Dalton Schultzer's gone now as your tight end. That was his security blanket. You don't have that now. And so what they're trying to do. And this is where the setup comes. This is where I'm gonna help you out here. See what happens is is that they in the past was just trying to put up points, averaging more than twenty five game twenty nine game, rather killing more than office coordinated at the time. He's now the Chargers. Okay, we're gonna put up points. What they decided to do now is run the ball, take the ball out of his hands, be a bit more conservative, you know, spell for the defense, et cetera, et cetera. Against the better teams, it's gonna still come down to him. And now he'll be throwing the ball less. So as a result, it's gonna be a bit foreign into him because the defense is gonna put you in a position where you got a comfortable lead most times, and you ain't under that pressure. And then when the pressure mounts, what you're gonna do.
Speaker 4: I can't wait till we beat the forty nine of this weekend.
Speaker 3: So that's not gonna happen. That's not gonna happen. I predicted you're gonna lose. I'm predicting that's gonna throw two interceptions. Dang, I gotta bet with Shannon, and you're gonna throw two interceptions, damn.
Speaker 4: So who's your Super Bowl picking? While you're at the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys, I think, well, first, ain't gonna be. Ain't gonna get the Cowboys. Ain't gonna be.
Speaker 1: He keep trying, he keep trying. I had the Eagles at the beginning of the season. I still believe in them, but I just think that San Francisco. The more I look at San Francisco, Remember it was in the NFC Championship game. They didn't have a quarterback. It's never happened in NFL his if all four quarterbacks got hurt, and so because they didn't have a quarterback, they literally got to a point after brock Perty went down in the back and went down, Christian McCaffrey had to line up behind center. They didn't have a quarterback. So it was a four gone conclusion that the Eagles gonna win that game. They were going to the super Bowl once that happened. Well, this year they motivated, and you got a yuk and you got de Bow, and you got Kittles, and this boy, Christian McCaffrey could be the league MVP. Right now. The brother is bawling and party is leading everybody in QBR and the defense is top three. And so when you look at it right now, I would have to say, in all honesty, San Francisco is the favorite. And then when you look at the AFC, it's up for grabs. Two weeks ago, I was like, yo, man, I ain't seeing an offense like this in Miami since the days of Dan Dan Fouts. With Charlie joining Kellen Winslow Senior, Chuck Munsey and these brothers, I'm like, this is something special. And then they go to Buffalo and get bum rushed, beat the hell down, and I'm like, well, damn, there goes dadd And then you got Kansas City. Patrick Mahone is still that dude. Kelsey is still that dude. But their receivers can't get open. But they got Taylor Swift. Now I know that that helps. That helps, that damn sure helps, but not on the football field's popularity. But now in the football now is that affecting the game now? Because you know, we watched the game this past weekend and it must have shown Tailor Swift nineteen times. I know, but but listen, listen, it's it's overkilled. There's no doubt you even hear Kelsey speaking out against it.
Speaker 3: But let's be real about first of all, his fault. We didn't know his interest in Kelsey and tell the Swift until he told us.
Speaker 1: Well nobody mind. You know we we thought he was with the extra cry out like we didn't know. Okay, but Taylor Swift, I mean, that's six billion dollars in the latest concert, you know, concert tour. Damn it. I went to the concert you went to Tailor sw con Man. My daughter's made me take him.
Speaker 4: Man, you know what I'm saying, The greatest show you saw on your life. Now.
Speaker 1: I said it was a great show I had ever been to. Now, I'm a Beyonce fan all day, every day. I don't think any of them compare the Heart, but I've never been to her concert. I went to Taylor Swift concert, yo, Man, at sofar Stay in La. She brought the house down, and I mean, these little girls I've never seen. I haven't seen anything like this since Michael Jackson. I mean there was a in between songs. What I mean by that is in between songs. They gave her a nine minute standing ovation non stop. They was screaming. They wouldn't let us sing the next song. These little teenage girls, and I mean every one of them knew every line of every song. They were singing it with her. They were crying and screaming. I saw people in the audience fainting. I saw mamas and poppers.
Speaker 3: Like jamming and the kids are like, this is embarrassing that you are enjoying this morning me.
Speaker 1: I mean I saw it all. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. I was like, and I'm not into her music or anything like that, but she put on a hell of a show. Bro three and a half hours, no intermission. Wow, three and a half hours, no intermission, two thousand dollars a pop. And it was worth it, really and it was worth it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to talk to know Steven Nate Smith, I no damn tailor that.
Speaker 2: I'm just I gotta ask about Damian lilland what was your thought with him going to the box?
Speaker 1: I love it. That's my brother. Got a lot of love for him. He's a superstar in this league. I think if it were not for Steph Curry, we'd be talking about him as the best in the game at that position. Having said all of that, I think that it act. It elevated Milwaukee, no doubt about it, because Joannis ain't had no weapon like that. I think what you gotta look at what Damian Lillard is him being on that squad. Jannis was their option. You gave the ball up to Janni's. He's the Greek freak. He coming at you, pushing you downhill. How you gonna stop this locomotive? Well, how you stopped the come playoff time? As you suffocate the pink, you dare him to shoot a perimeter shot. If he gets to the hole, he gonna get his thirty You know that he's gonna get his thirteen rebounds. But when it really really counts, is he gonna make those rethrows? You don't know that. So it's limitations and you got confidence. Now you've done brought in a closer. You've done brought in a brother that has sent people home and waved goodbye to them while doing it. The Paul Georgie's, the James Hardens, the Dwight Howard's, the Russell Westbrooks of the world. Ask them Damien Littler had sent them home and waved goodbye to them while doing it. This is what he does and so it's elite. But what I said to everybody at the time is let's not rule out Boston. And this was before they got Jollity. I said, Yo, that's a big ure. I don't like the fact that they lost Marcus Smart. I really don't. I mean, that brother something special, and I think you're gonna help Memphis immensely. But make no mistake, you get a seven foot three dude and Chris STAPs forward zingers who can block shots, who can hit the three, who just finished averaging twenty three twenty four game. He ain't no number one option. He's not the ideal second option. But in Boston, well that's Taston Tatum and Jalen Brown and so you talking about a third option there. And so that made them formidable to begin with. But then when you turn around and you take that piece, and then you add Drew Holliday to that, I don't like the fact that they lost Malcolm Brock. Then I don't like the fact that Marcus Martin's going. But if you got Drew Holliday and Derek White as your back court, and you have Brown and Tatum and Arford as your front court, and on top of it, or all porzingis okay, and you got Derek White coming off the bench because you got Jalen at the two, and you're gonna use Jason Tatum at the three. I'm looking at them and I'm saying, it's Sam crue Fellers that took Milwaukee a couple of years ago when they were down three two, when Jason Tatum rolled up then there for a game six and dropped forty six. You understand, this is just as Jason Tatum were talking about here. This is Jalen Brown. We told you he had a bad game seven last year once Tatum got hurt the first offensive play and he was supposed to be able to carry the team. He couldn't do it. But this is the same Jalen Brown that outplayed Jason Tatum in the NBA Finals lost to Golden State. Brother been averaging. You average twenty six a game last year, You average twenty four to twenty three and twenty six over the last three years. Brother can ball, And so I'm looking at it from that perspective, and I'm looking at the size that they have at every position, even though they don't have a seven foot of like Greek and Brook Lopez. You can't use Brook Lopez but so much against them because he got to come out to the perimeter and got some of these brothers, because how Horford can shoot, and now Porzinkis can shoot, and Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown can shoot as well, and Drew Holliday is one of the best catching three shooters in the game. So you look at it from that perspective and the fact that they can play defense on an elite level. I can't sit up there and say Milwaukee got them. So that's I think for me, it is Boston. It's Boston ahead of Milwaukee. I kind of hope I'm wrong, not because I have any desire to go to Milwaukee, but it's because I'm rooting for Damian Lillard Warriors. Hurt Well. Listen, I told Chris Paul and them, I wasn't happy about it. I wasn't excited about it because I'm like, unless you're telling me that Klay Thompson is going to, you know, be morek from Mork and Mindy back in the day. He gonna get younger as he gets older, you know, like, can he go at the three for you? Because to me, when I think about Steph Curry and Klay Thompson. That's the backcourt with a CP three fit into that. I looked at him as a reserve coming off the bench, being that point guard that's gonna run the show with Kaminga and Moody and that second unit and upgrading them. All Right, it's CP three gonna accept that? Is he gonna embrace that because listen, Graymond didn't like them, but now they're trying to work things out because their teammates and all of that other stuff. And that's cool. But they undersized and they got a system and they're customer. Play it that way. Chris Paul slows the pace down, control space. That's fine, that's not how they roll. And so if you're gonna do that, how effective is that gonna work out for you? I believe in Steph Curry, the greatest shoot of God ever created. I believe in that Splash Brothers is that backcourt. I believe in their pedigree, they experience, their championships, pedigree and stuff like that. So they'll be in the mix. But I can't give them the edge over the Lakers who took them out in the postseason. I can't give them the Lake the edge over to the reigning defended champion Denver Nuggets. I can't give them the edge over Phoenix with KD, Devin Booker, who's now gonna be at your point, and Bradley Beal all right, and that's the three of them. What about Memphis? Remember Memphis last year it wasn't just John Moran in his troubles, it was also Steven Adams and Brandon Clark that were hurt. Well they back, Well, what you're gonna do with that? I mean, you can't ignore Memphis, and you can't ignore the Clippers because if Kawhi London and Paul Georgia healthy, one could easily argue they could have won the championship three years ago when Phoenix was in the finals against Milwaukee. Because if Kawhi is healthy and Paul George is healthy, I don't know if Phoenix beats the Clippers. And so you got to look at all of those teams before you make that kind of decision. And that's where I'm at with it.
Speaker 3: I got one more question about sports than I want to talk strictly about even a Since you brought up the Clippers, who do you think will play more games next year?
Speaker 4: Ben Simmons or Kawhi Leonnon Kawhilennon.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've lost complete faith in Ben Simmons.
Speaker 2: Dam.
Speaker 1: The only thing I'm mad about is I didn't get a chance to tell him to his face. And the reason why is that we were at the spot last year, man, and you know, you know I got a lot of I got. I had a lot of respect for him. You know, I'm not going to disrespect him as a man or human being. But it's like, my god, bro, I get the I get the mental aspects obviously. You know you and I have talked about that a lot of times, with all the great work you've done in that regard, But you take the money, you know what I'm saying. Somehow, in some way, no matter what troubles you're going through, the check is in the account and you cashing it. Somehow you're on the bench looking like a male model, you know what I'm saying, while the rest of your team out there playing it. You know, you're just looking at it, and it's like, yo, bro, your boys need you. You understand that if you and Philly and you balling with embiid the way Tyrese Maxie is elevated. You realize what y'all could have been, right. You understand that if you're in Brooklyn and with Katie and Kyrie at the time and you could ball, you understand what what what you could have accomplished. Right, I'm looking at scenarios over the last two years is where he could have helped two teams to a championship. Because that's how legit Ben Simmons is. And I know that he's had the injuries. I'm not trying to question that, but the point is other people are gonna question it because you couldn't bring yourself to play basketball. It literally was tantamount to you like standing on the front lines in Ukraine against Russia. It don't make no damn sense to me. And so I look at it from that perspective. And then now you talk about you ready, you ready, you ready.
Speaker 3: And he's one of those guys that I would tell you this, his talent is big time. If I could get away with it as a team, I wouldn't give him a damn done until he plays. You got to show up to work man, and to me, he hasn't done that, and that's my disappointment with him.
Speaker 1: I got sports questions.
Speaker 2: What was your thoughts on Colin Kaepernick writing the Jets and saying that he wanted to be work on the practice team to get the squad.
Speaker 4: Where they needed to be.
Speaker 1: We always butted heads on this, y'all. It it meant nothing to me. I knew it was gonna be much ado about nothing in twenty nineteen, and I remember when you came up first taking me, talked about it later. You know, listen, Colin Kaepernick's team, I'm gonna say it again, reached out. They wanted help. They wanted a try out with one team. I had sources inside the league office and connected to the league office from the outside, Rock Nation and those boys. Yo, they gonna give him a workout. At least twenty four teams gonna show up. It ended up being twenty six the quote I received, and I said it on the head at the time. This brother would have to throw it into the stands to not have a job in two weeks. All he got to do is show up. So I'm looking at a team of people that came to me along with others, asking for assistance to get him a tryout. The league didn't want to give. The league had to give him to try it. I'm sorry, because individual teams didn't want to, y'all because they were fearful that if they gave him a tryout and he didn't work out, he would be ready to sue them because he had already sued. The league reached the settlement, et cetera, et cetera, and all the whole you know, the racial strife that existed and he had articulated and highlighted wasn't just about police battalion and all that stuff. He was also talking about the NFL to some degree. The teams were scared. So the NFL stepped in and they said, for the first time in history, were gonna conduct this workout. Then it was an issue with the wavering. The waiver was different than what other teams had to I call a league officer called general Console. They was like, this, you damn right, is different. We never conducted a workout as league. We don't do individual workouts. That's a team's job.
Speaker 3: Since this is the first time we've ever done it, and we just reached the settlement with the guy for millions of dollars, we of course are gonna do a.
Speaker 1: Different kind of waiver. Okay. Having said all of that. Here's what I said publicly on the first take, and go back and look at the tapes. I said, the world is watching. You want to play Baul, You show up to the workout, because now we know where it's gonna be. We know when it's gonna be. We gonna get the tape, we gonna see what happened, and we know what. Sorry, as quarterbacks exist in the NFL, and they're gonna be off for you if you go out there and do it. Go out there and do it and trust the rest of us. You had the breakfast club, you had first take, you had get up, you had everybody everywhere Black America was like, Yo, you're gonna treat this brother right, show up and work. If he show up, show give him a fair shot. And in my eyes, he didn't trust us enough to look out to see I'm talking about the tsunami of folks that talk sports and beyond. You didn't trust us to use your greatness as an athlete and say we see what you got up in there and bring the tsunami down upon the NFL and make sure now that you gave him this tryout, that ultimately you give him a job you passed, You did some work out of the high school football field an hour and twenty minutes away, giving them two hours notice. Nah nah, I said it. From that day, I said it's over. They just found the perfect excuse. They ain't never gonna look at him again. Just this past year, you know, fourteen quarter black quarterbacks started in the NFL opening week, and seven of the top eleven paid players in the NFL at the quarterback position are black. I only bring up that numbers because that's what the owner's gonna say. They're gonna be like, look, man, we good, we got were getting our money. We got black folks in here excelling and getting paid. He had an opportunity to do that. He passed, And it's that simple. I said it that day. It's over. I ain't been wrong yet.
Speaker 3: You know, people don't often look at what we do in the terms of athletes what I do. So when I say, when I see you get a player of Shannon Sharp's caliber, yes on your team, how do you adjust your game?
Speaker 1: Well, Listen, first of all, it's about respect and humility. And here's what I mean by that. I ain't no three times super Bowl champion, ain't no future. I ain't no Hall of Famer, not the greatest tight end in NFL history. I want to arguably the greatest tight end of history. He had those credentials coming to the table, and so for me, I don't got nothing to do with this, though I understand that. But he has done a good job, and he has been in the business for years, and so looking at the job that he did, knowing the roster of cats that I had, Marcus Spears, Ryan Clark and all these other folks, I certainly wasn't interested in getting rid of them. But I knew that he was a talent that would add He would be an additive to me. He wouldn't be a liability. But more importantly than that, man, I was where he was two thousand and nine. We talked about this when it was me my book or various other interviews, both for y'all have done with me. Man, I know what it's like to be out in that streets and be unemployed and for them to be writing your epitaph and all of that other stuff. And I was like, there wasn't somebody, There wasn't a brother in Stephen Ay's position to help me. But I'm in that position, and so I called them up and I said, Yo, what you want to do And he's like, Yo, man, you know if you know, if you have me, I said, he said, I said, yeah, I want you Hell yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: He's working in a non compete, he said, what I thought he was gonna be in a non competer?
Speaker 1: Well, well, listen, when they let you go, they let you go. I mean like, if you leave, that's when a non compete kicks in.
Speaker 3: But when they let you go, and that's why I was like, I'm sitting there when people arguing they talk about listen, I'm not trying to tell their business that's their shop.
Speaker 1: I got my shop. But at the end of the day, it's like, yo, y'all, he's here. What the hell do you think happened? You know what I'm saying? Because if he left of his own volition, he would not have been able to be at the competition. So it's just just just pay attention to the logic of it all. He was available because they let him go, and so they let him go to him. To me, that was their loss is my gain, and I'm gonna always gods know what my approach is. I know what I'm talking about as a reporter and pundit that covered the sport. I didn't do what you do, so yeah, look at me. Is described as walking into the locker room telling you what I saw, what I think I saw, nudging you, even antagonizing you from tom to time, trying to make sure you understand.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get to the bottom of the situation. Just like when y'all interview folks, y'all do the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's your job as that expert to say, nah, it ain't what happened. Here's what happened, right, And I know at that moment in terms of doing television, when it's time to debate and when it's time to step the hell back in mere forth. And that's what all of them. Ryan Clark is sensational, knows his football, Shannon Shannon's sharp, knows his damn football. Y'all. I'm just telling you right now, Dan Olowski, all of these cats know it. I'm arguing with mad Dog Russo that's different. We're both describes, we're both pundits. We've been doing that for our careers. But when you are sitting across from players, you got to have that respect where they know that you know who they are compared to you in terms of their athletic knowledge about what's actually happened on that field or core to play in the locker room. When you see me butting heads with an athlete, it's because I'm saying, you ain't giving it to me. There's more than this. Tell me what it is. You see what I'm saying, because you know.
Speaker 3: And so when you're trying to give an answer, and not only that, I'm going to your contemporaries. So if you play for the Knicks, and you play for the Knicks and somebody else plays for the Knicks, if I'm debating you, it's not because I think I know something you don't. It's because somebody else told me who knows what you know? And I happen to believe you holding out on me because I've heard otherwise.
Speaker 1: And that's where you go at it. But what you don't do is talk to them like you know what they don't as players, No, you don't.
Speaker 3: But they got to be able to communicate that that's right. He can't do it, that's right, Ryan can do it.
Speaker 1: That's correct, that's correct.
Speaker 4: Everybody can't get on that. Mic I whant to communicate.
Speaker 1: That's correct you, but you have to be compassionate enough to know the difference. Like some cats, they just don't have the ability to articulate. And so when you know that, it's like how cruel you're gonna be. It's like I'm talking to somebody and every other word out of your mouth that you know what I'm saying, Well, no, I don't know you because you ain't say shit, so I don't know what you're saying. But my point is you got to have some level of compassion where you know, all right, I can peel this out of them, but this person don't have that ability to articulate it. I'm not gonna sit up there and just bring it down on them asking how much flag did you did you get?
Speaker 2: Because you know, when you're arguing or going back and forth with the player, a football player, I'm sure they're thinking you never played the sport.
Speaker 1: Nah, you didn't, You didn't have to get in Denver, we're not as well, you don't. But they don't do that anymore. And that's where my reputation has helped me immensely, because anybody that walked through the doors and you tell me this is what you want to do. All you got to do is ask for my help, and I'm gonna give it to you. You know what I'm saying. I mean, you want to do this, here's how you do it. And I'll tell them that and a lot of times I'll let them know. Listen, I'm gonna come at you. We're not orchestrating anything. I'm not letting you know what all my opinions are. But from a generic perspective, I'm letting you know if I see something, I'm gonna attack you. I'm gonna get right at you because but the reason I'm doing it is for you to pull out your level of expertise. So if you watch Kad's debating with me, all of a sudden, they'll up the ante as a segment progresses because I zero in on them and they get up because they know he's coming for me now, because that's my way of saying to them, you're holding out. You ain't give me what you got, and I'm gonna get this now, either that.
Speaker 3: Or I'm right. Which one you willing to admit? Stephen, there you right? Or Stephen there you wrong?
Speaker 1: And if you say, Stephen a I'm wrong you got to tell me why. And so when you have to tell me why, that's what makes it debate. Holl gotcha, And that's what it's about. Now.
Speaker 3: Some weeks ago something you said what you said several times, you wrote about it in your book. You talked about, you know, your experience with Max Kelluman working on the show. And I saw a reaction from Marcella's wife and he said, you got rid of Max Kellerman because Max wasn't dumb and white.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let me say this. I'm not talking about I'm going to address that last part. The first part. I'm not addressing it anymore. And here's the reason why some people want to do anything for clicks. Y'all don't have to do that. I don't have to do that established, but others have to do that. And so when you see this, the tsunami of comments and all of this other stuff. Even my boss has called me. It was like, yo, man, it's in your book. Enough's enough, And I'm like, they're right. I had nothing to say about it anymore. The ratings speak for itself, The decisions that were made speak for itself. It is what it is. Business is business, period. In terms of what Marcellus Wiley said now that I will direct I will address directly, and I only have one thing to say. He and I work together. Got a lot of respect for him, I know the man he was talking about as his best friend. I get all of that, no problem. Here's my only issue. For a black man to sit up there and say another black man it's scared of somebody's intellect. Come on, bro, that's just the line you crossing. And I have nothing more to say other than that that's sad that he would go that route. I guess that he's gonna get attention because obviously everybody who watches the Breakfast Club every chance we get it, he don't see talk about it. I'm certainly not gonna argue with him. I've always had a lot of respect for him. Me and Marcella's while they have never had one issue. And I don't care what support he has for his boy or anybody else. I get that. I support my boys too, but I would never in a million years say that one black man is scared of the intellect of a white man. I would never ever ever do that. And for him to do something like that, that's on him. Y'all. Have known me for years. The business has known me for years. I've been on national television with the number one debate show on television for the last twelve straight years in County. I've been winning. But more importantly, I've been in a bubble in a public eye on national television every day. We've had disagreements, you know, saying the whole bit. Y'all have never questioned my intelligence. No, And so for me it's like, you know, I get it, I understand it. There's a lot of brilliant brothers out there. Max is one of them. Genius, absolutely true, and a good brother, too good, due rather and I get that. But to me, forget all that, I wish him nothing but the best. I ain't rooting against anybody for I'm even rooting for mysellers. I don't want him to fail. But if I ever sam again one on one, it would be like a black man going in a public platform and saying another black man is scared another white guys. No. No, get not as smart because most people are not as smart as some other people, I guess, but that don't mean we're devoid of how intellect and intelligence. But to say that, I fear the intelligence of any man, any man. I've debated doctor Michael Erick Dice. I've debated Cornell West. Yes, I'm saying, I've been on the phone with President Obama. I've debated political pundance. And I'm not even a political officionado. We're talking sports, y'all. This This ain't science class. This ain't you know this? This, I mean, this ain't geometry or trigonometry or something. This ain't you know we We ain't in law school trying to pass the ball. This is sports. Scared of the intelligence, the intellect and intelligence of a white man. Okay, we'll piss you off more.
Speaker 3: Marcella's comments or Torella Owen's comments when he was on first day back in the day Max was black than you.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but that that that was just ignorant. You know, Like listen, you and I have talked about that. We all have talked about it. Black folks, our community. You know, there ain't nothing in this world that I love more than black people. Ain't nothing I'd rather be other than black. But that don't mean that we don't have our issues as a community. And a lot of times when you see when you think differently, when you think independently. Our own gets at you because they want us. You know, one minute, we want to be independent in a Maverick style. In another minute we want to walk around and like we're supposed to be one monolithic group, all aligned in terms of our thinking. I don't subscribe to that. Nobody thinks for me. I think for me, and I make my own decisions. But when Marcella said what he said, it was a disappointm you know, because you hurting us when you say that, not me, You hurting us because dare I say, I think I've accomplished enough where you know, my level of intelligence is respected, So what about those that may not have accomplished what I've had, or haven't had an opportunity to really really expose the level of intellect they possess. Well, what are you gonna say about them? Not him specifically, but a country that's looking at a black man saying that about another black man. So that's fine, But the t O thing was just that was what pissed me off because the lawyers, his lawyers contacted ESPN to sue me. Now he wants to say that wasn't you know, that wasn't him, That was his lawyers. I'm like, they worked for you for what That's what he said, because he tried to say I said something off the record that I didn't say, So I don't you know, but I've never I've never listened doing what I do. I would never violate the trust because you don't have any credibility. You do that. You know, one of the things you have to do is know how to keep secrets. You can't open your mouth publicly when you gave your word that you know, something's told to you in confidence.
Speaker 3: So when you threatened to expose something about him when you retweeted him, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: No what I was saying, and no, that wasn't what it was. What I was What I was trying to say to him is that I wasn't even trying to threaten to expose anything. I'm trying to say, we all know all the troubles you've been through. We can talk about it, but you know that's neither here nor there. But that's all I was saying. And then when he when he he, you know, he called me and talk about I didn't tweet. I retweeted, Well, that's tweeting. I mean, you know, I don't. I don't know what to say, you know so, But I was only pissed off about that, and you know, but that's over and done. What we spoke on it. We had our words and that's that, and you know, we move on. But that pissed me off more. The Marcello's thing to answer your question made me sad. Steve got to go. I got one last question, man. This is as a father. Yeah, Charlemagne has four kids. I have six. I have two, you have two? Yeah? Where do you find a time? Right?
Speaker 2: Because I think I work a lot, right, I'm traveling everywhere, but I'm like, sports never ends, right, and you're always doing sports. When do you find time for your family.
Speaker 1: And your kids? Well, first of all, it's never enough time. My daughters would be the first to tell you that they are not happy with me sometimes because even when I'm with them a bit distracted because there's some sports event going on and there's something percolating or whatever. I treat them like the queens that they are. I do the best that I can. But the one thing I am unapologetic about, for better or worse, is that I grew up poor. I grew up starving and I watched my mother's slave as I stayed in in my book, because you know, my father didn't handle his business. And that's why the title of my book, straight Shooter, is dedicated to my mother, because my mother was always a straight shooter, and I was always of the mindset provide and protect. Do everything that you can to elevate the quality of life of your children. Make sure they know what you're doing. And why so my daughters know when I'm on television, they know where I'm on television from I called. You know, I'm with them every day. I call them several times a day. They know what I'm doing, where I'm doing it from, they know where to find me, et cetera. Because I read with children especially, it's important that they know. They may not like it, but when they able to turn on the TV or click on the radio and they hear you or they see you, daddy's working, Daddy's working. And so when that's the case, and then they reap the benefits of your labor. They may not like it sometimes, but they also know that everything they have is because of you, and so that goes a long way.
Speaker 3: And then outside of that, you find the time and it ain't about finding, It's about making it.
Speaker 1: You know. The bottom line is I don't have time because I am busy. I make time. I mean, I could be having to work. I get off at twelve noon and I might have to work at three. Well, I'll go see them in Hill too, and then I leave and I come back, and then I get off at seven. I go see him at eight, And I mean, I've I've flown. I've had to take a flight from LA to Dallas, and I flew on the Red Eye of New York just to take them to school, and it flew right out to Dallas. Something like that. It's little stuff like that that's big things to them when it really really counts, because they know that you're sacrificing for them, and when they know that they appreciated it. More importantly, it's something that they'll hold others accountable to down the line. They'll be like this, how my dad treated me? How you gonna treat me? Ladies and gentlemen. That Stephen A.
Speaker 3: Smith and s Grat Shooter has been recently reprinted with a new afterward.
Speaker 4: Any other changes to the combrats on New York Times.
Speaker 1: Bestsellers Man, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Man. Oh, and they told me to tell you Erica Ford has the best pitch.
Speaker 4: Now in Queens because.
Speaker 1: That's a choke job. Bro, We're not gonna listen.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: Embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I was embarrassing, and that's shame. It's a shame. It was shame. Shame. In New York, I was in front of the Yankee dugout and sixty feet six inches, I'm throwing strikes, throwing strike, about thirty pictures throwing strikes. And then he says, time to go to the mound. And I walked up there and the mounds ten inches off and I turned around and I saw a home player. I said, oh, what have I done? What have I done? Right? And then my dumb ass I had on Christian Louverton sneakers like the red bottom. So I stepped. You try to be fly, Try to be fly.
Speaker 3: So I stepped on the dirt and instantly I'm slipping. But this before the pitch, I'm slipping. So now I got to make a business decision. I'm about to bust my ass on national TELEVI I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I said. The priority is to stay upright, no matter what I said. I work on the picture later. The priority is to stay upright. I should have wore cleats and I was wearing the Geda jersey. Gedda caught me afterward. It was embarrassing. He said, look man, here's our excuse. You were playing crickets. And he said, you know you got to come back out there next year and make up for it. I said, I will, okay. Well, Steven and gentlemen, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club