Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our two on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. If you didn't get enough of the tush push yesterday, oh we have more coming up. We're going to talk to Dean Blandino, former head of NFL Officials, get his thoughts on this rule, how dangerous is it and does he see it being outlawed this upcoming season.
Speaker 3: Eight seven seven to three.
Speaker 2: DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Bridget Jones is back. Final chapter Bridget Jones Matt about the Boy. Rene Zelwigger stars in the new original film streaming now only on Peacock. By the way, great gift for you, a lot of great gifts at Danpatrick dot com. We have headcovers for your driver and we partnered up with Dormy to bring you some of the best head covers that you'll ever own. They look gorgeous and you can get them up to sixty five percent off at Danpatrick dot Com Limited quantities all right eight seven to seven three DP show operators sitting by Tyler update the poll results from our one seaton and what's the poll question for hour two?
Speaker 4: Right now, we've got up there, how do you want calls and sports being made by people?
Speaker 3: Are all digital? Right now?
Speaker 4: Sixty seven percent of the audience have that as by people, which is interesting. Then we also put up there which cameo, would you want if you could in any Gene Hackman film? Okay, and right now so we have that as people more submitting their answers rather than a poll question. Enemy of the State is a big winner, believe it really, Yes, a lot of people saying Enemy of the Estate. Hoosiers is up there, Crimson time, unforgiven. A lot of votes were unforgiven. That was a pretty cool movie, not as many of the obvious ones you might think. Hoosiers obviously has some votes, but not as many as you might think.
Speaker 3: Hmm, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: The passing of Gene Hackman at age ninety five, and of course legendary career, one of the great actors of all time, and we of course focused on Hoosiers and we've had connections with that through some of the actors who were in the movie, but Gene Hackman playing Norman Dale, and it's about small town Indiana, and they captured it. I thought it was really really well done. I think it's the best sports movie of all time.
Speaker 3: But you had good.
Speaker 2: Storylines in there, the cinematography was spectacular. You know, you did have basketball and it felt like it was basketball in the fifties, and that they played well. And Maris Velanis, who is Jimmy Chittwood, looked like he could play high school basketball, maybe college basketball, great shooter.
Speaker 3: And I talked.
Speaker 2: To him back in twenty twenty one and we did an interview on his role as Jimmy Chitwood in Hoosiers, and I asked him about they had no acting experience, these were just high school players. And Maris was talking about when he first met Gene Hackman and they're all intimidated. You got Dennis Hopper on the set, you got Barbara Hershey who was a great actress, and you know, then Gene Hackman, and here is Maris Bulanis, who was Jimmy Chitwood, and what he told me about Gene Hackman.
Speaker 5: I had no idea that they were going to cast me as Jimmy Chitwood, and.
Speaker 2: Then you realize Gene Hackman's in this, Barbara Hershey's like, these are heavyweights in there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, So when they finally whittled it down, Gene Hackman was nice enough. About a month before shooting started, he came into town and for a solid week, every single day, for at least a couple hours a day, he actually gave us acting lessons and gave us insights on how he did certain scenes in certain movies or and it was pretty amazing. I mean, you're sitting there in a room with Gene Hackman and he's giving you acting less.
Speaker 2: And then you first made your scene. You don't have a line, but maybe even tougher, you have to make these shots while Gene Hackman is talking to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess that was my scene with Gene Hackman. With Gene Hackman, I mean, I think everybody had like a little moment with him, you know, And that was my first one.
Speaker 2: That's Marius Bolanis, who played Jimmy Chitwood, and it's my favorite scene in the movie because Gene Hackman Normandale is trying to get him to come out for the team, and Jimmy Chitwood is just rain and jumpers. He doesn't speak at all, and Gene Hackman's trying to recruit him, and he's out there and they're you know, they're on a dirt basketball court, and he just keeps probably makes seven in a row. And I just thought, like, you know, on a lot of different levels, there's Gene Hackman. I'm shooting basketball, but I have to act as I'm shooting basketball. How do you do that other than make the shot? But then you're acting like you're not interested in what Gene Hackman is saying, but in reality, you're listening to everything that he's saying. And I just love the way it shot. I mean, just how they filmed that movie beautifully, and it's my favorite. It's my favorite scene. Everybody talks about all the game winning shot, that wasn't it, It was that one, because it's just a legendary actor and a guy who's never acted before, and you're out there and they made it work. I remember talking to somebody who told me that Burt Reynolds was up for the Gene Hackman John, and then Paulie said to me, this morning, Jack Nicholson was in discussions with them to play the role of Normandale.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this article I found that has a lot of detailed Director David Ansbaugh, he was a skiing buddy of Jack Nicholson and actually taught him how to ski, brought the script to Nicholson he knew was a Laker fan and a basketball fan. Nicholson agreed to do it, like verbally agreed to do it, which got the studio much more interested in producing the movie. They were having a lot of trouble getting the movie produced. Nicholson had a bow out because of a lawsuit going on with MGM, and he had to bow out. They asked Nicholson, who would you put in it? He said, Robert Davall or Gene Hackman. Robert Duvall passed. Hackman was third. Hackman they got interested in it. He said he would do it, and the studio still said we're not sure and took another year after Hackman signed on to get the green light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see Robert Duvall, yes, in that role, but but you had to have a little bit of and I'm sure ju Ball could have done it. I mean, one of the great actors. But I think what Gene Hackman like. He there was some warmth to him in that he had to show a little bit of compassion, but you know he had baggage with his previous coaching. Stomp hit a kid, and you know then he falls in love just everything, even when he goes to get his hair cut. You know, they have the town hall where they're basically going to run him out of town. They don't like, you know, his style. And then Jimmy Chitwood comes in. Gene Hackman doesn't say a word, He just sits there and watches Jimmy Chitwood say what he said, and all of a sudden it changed everything. But it was just it was really well done. It's one of those movies. If it comes on, you watch it, no matter where it is in the movie, you'll watch it. Like it's hard to say a movie is perfect, but to me, that was a perfect movie. It captured what you thought that timeframe was and everything else that went along with it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, so I should watch Hoosiers.
Speaker 2: You whoa well, PAULI, No, you can't leave now, Polly sleep walking out?
Speaker 8: Marvin, I never seen it. Wow, It's not one like Shawshank or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It's it's the Shawshank of sports movies.
Speaker 3: I got to give you a homework assignment. I mean, this is Americana.
Speaker 8: Wait, you said it's the Shawshank. It better be as good as Shawshank.
Speaker 3: Then, ah, it is, it is, it is. It's a great movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, go around the room, Todd, Hoosiers good, great, great, Seaton, Hoosiers is.
Speaker 4: A great movie. But I don't know that Marvin will. He might not find it as great.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Paully, it's.
Speaker 7: All time great, not just sports, but all time I think this is good. I think Seaton's right. Marvin's going in with way high expectations. I think he should read up on the story of Hoosiers and Mylin the high school. Yeah, and then go see it with a little backdrop. Oh man, this because this is based on a true story.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes? Okay, yes.
Speaker 2: Because Indiana basketball didn't have like Class A, Class B, Class C or four A, five A. Every team if you made the play state tournament, it didn't matter if you had a school of one hundred and fifty or you went against you know, a school that had three thousand. You were all in the same tournament. That's why it's you know, the upset part of this that they were going against what Indianapolis Central.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like two thousand kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this mile in high school had you know, one hundred, one hundred kids.
Speaker 7: Maybe, yeah, Pull, I have an idea when Seat and the French Kid drive to Green Bay, they dropped Marvin off in Indiana for like a week and a half to start soaking in the culture of high school basketball and then watch the movie. Yeah your thoughts, that's a yes, that sounds like it is.
Speaker 2: Maybe like a three day like a three day weekend of Indiana basketball.
Speaker 7: We'll have them spend a weekend at Steve Alfred's house really soak it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can, you know, go visit Dan Dockitch. He'll tell you everything you need to know about that.
Speaker 3: Bloomington. Yeah, go to Bloomington. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Genie Achman, Normandale Hoo's Yours the best sports movie of all time?
Speaker 8: Yes, so high school basketball anywhere in the state of Indiana. Yeah, no, I'm saying, so should I go to any high school basketb.
Speaker 2: Probably So you're going to find out that they have building arenas like ten thousand. I think Steve Alford's High School seated ten thousand.
Speaker 3: And they were full.
Speaker 2: Yes, they sold out. I mean, I don't know what it's like now, but Indiana basketball. By the way, the spear campaign continues with Luka Donchetz. I was reading what was on the Athletic and it says, make no mistake, the people who witnessed Luka Doncts last days in Dallas don't paint him a flattering portrait. They call him lazy. They talk about weight issues, they talked about drinking, they talked about he was in love with the Hookah, calling him Hookah Doncic, and they were predicting his basketball demise, highlighting a health history that, as some see it, will likely lead to catastrophe in the next five years or so. Wow, Okay, through all of this, it's weird that even if he, you know, is smoking cigarettes and drinking beer, he's not really in shape, but he's still going out there and doing what he's doing, at least for the next five years. Or if you do buy into that that maybe this was going to be a disaster, a disaster waiting to happen, why don't you open this up to get a better return for him. I think that's the problem I have. If you want to get rid of him, okay, but get more than you got. Sacramento got more for Daron Fox and what was the rush open the bidding? Now, maybe you're gonna upset Luca. Well, well yeah you are, because you're going to trade him no matter what you're going to trade. Now, if I'm a GM, I'm going to say, well, why are you trading him? And then I want to know what Nico Harrison is going to say, because if he says, hey, he's got bad habits, he's lazy, he's overweight, then he smokes a lot.
Speaker 3: Would you like to have him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the guys on our staff, Yeah, yeah, but like Dylan no name, I mean no names, but that would be like Dylan with a guy who smokes and drinks and his jumper is similar to Lucas but Hukah dunch its. And it feels like the Spear campaign continues here. But I would love to know what the Lakers were told because okay, call comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Hey, Robin's it's Nico. Hey, Hey, what's up you did in Luca? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I love watching him play? No, no, you interested in trading for him. Are we talking about the same guy? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Luca. First thing I would say is, why are you making him available? He's twenty five years of age? Well do you tell him we don't want to give him a Supermax. We don't know what kind of shape he's going to be in. I don't I don't know how that exchange worked, and all of a sudden, Rob Polinka is going to go. Yeah, there's plenty of places to get him cleaned up out here. Yeah, maybe in get him to stop drinking or get in better shape, or Lebron will help him get in better shape. You know, Lebron spends a million dollars on you know, getting in shape. I'm guessing, but I would love to have a transcript or hear the audio of what that conversation was like, because if I'm Rob Polenka, I'm thinking, when you hang up the phone, do you just scream? Do you run around the office, do you go to Genie Buss or do you have to keep it quiet? I cann't say anything to anybody. I'd still love to know sort of the background gory details of this and how Nico Harrison would say that, how he would say it. That almost sounded like, Hey, I'm going to do you a favor. Here's Luca. We want Anthony Davis and some scraps in return, although Max Christie has played pretty well.
Speaker 3: But I would love to know what that sounded like. Yeah, I'm paulin.
Speaker 7: I know this is obvious, but the guy's twenty five. It's not a thirty one year old who's not going to change his ways. If Luca needs to change his ways with whatever he's doing, you know, whatever physicality and working out, but a twenty five year old, maybe he gets pissed off because of this and says, Okay, it's a wake up call and he changes things.
Speaker 3: I've shocked.
Speaker 7: Took a lot of criticisms supposedly from Kobe Bryant about conditioning, and I don't know if he ever changed his ways. But Lucas twenty five, he's entering his prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but why can't Dallas get him to get in better shait. That's a great point. I would love to know that. I mean, that's what I kept coming back to. Did go to his agents?
Speaker 2: I'm sure they did, and this was not a well kept secret. Now I didn't know about the hookah. I knew they smoked cigarettes and he drank beer. He's twenty five. But you have to convince me more to take Anthony Davis, then you do me taking Luca, Like, well, okay, who are you going to send us? I don't know a D Okay, oh oh okay, yeah, you'll take a d Yeah, okay, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 7: If I run the Mavericks, I want all my players to do what Luca's doing.
Speaker 3: I wanted to smoke drink beer.
Speaker 7: Hey, can you guys average thirty four and twelve and get us to the finals.
Speaker 3: He went to the NBA finals the year before.
Speaker 7: It was a missing games and practices, A couple of grits and a couple of beers at twenty five, and I've been a good day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I if I would have been a better player, I would have smoked cigarettes. I'd have smoked heaters when I was in college. All Right, we'll take a break. We'll talk some football here. Dean Blandino, former head of Officials, we'll join us talk about some of these possible rule changes, and of course I am contractually required to talk about the tourist push.
Speaker 1: All right, well, take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 10: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Dean Blandino, Fox Sports, NFL college football rules analyst and former NFL MVP of Officiating, joining us from the combine.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you again, Dean. What do you want to chew up? First? Whatever you got?
Speaker 11: I love that you called me the MVP of officiating. That's I love that title.
Speaker 2: I love that, and you should be you know the heck with Mike Pereira. It's you, that's right, That's right. Okay, help me understand the technology of spotting the football or first down, Like, where where are we headed?
Speaker 3: And when will we get there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So I think short term what the league is going to do, I think for the regular season in twenty twenty five is the officials will still spot the football, but instead of bringing out the chain gang, they're going to use this optic tracking and these these cameras that are positioned around around the stadium to tell you exactly where the ball is in relation to the line of game. So instead of stretching out the chains, you'll have this graphic pop up and it'll say the ball is six inches short or the ball made the line of game.
Speaker 3: I think that's the short term.
Speaker 11: Long term, I think we're going to use some of this this tracking technology where they'll eventually be able to use that tech to actually spot the football, to say here's where the ball was, when when the knee was down, or when the runners progress was stopped. I don't think we're going to be there in the next two to three years, but I think eventually we may see that at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we all love when the chain gang comes out, so I do like I love it. I think they got this reversed. They should be trying to spot the football. It is so random at times and it's unscientific. And the chain gang, these are just guys holding the chain. We want them coming out. You stretch out the chain. That's good TV, Dean.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 11: I agree with you one hundred percent in that you know the chan It's it's dramatic, right, It's that how much you watch the game and is it going to be a first down? And then we've got these guys that run out and this is their moment in the sun. I love the Chain Gang, But I don't think the technology, like I said, is there yet to spot the football. But you know, I guess we don't. You know, there's not a lot of Chain Gang enthusiasts to the league office.
Speaker 2: Also the Toush push. It feels like I'm obligated to ask you about this. From an officiating standpoint, what concerns you about this play?
Speaker 11: Well, from an officiating standpoint, it's just it's an almost impossible play to officiate as to where the ball is when in relation to the goal line, because you have all these bodies creating this mass and you're trying to figure out where the ball is. You think about the Josh Allen play in the AFC Championship game. You have two officials coming into two different spots. So I think from an officiating standpoint, it's just a difficult play to discern where the ball is. That's I don't.
Speaker 3: Think they'll change it.
Speaker 11: I think with the Eagles winning the Super Bowl, I think some clubs will say, well, it's going to feel like sour grapes if we voted, if we voted out. But a person, I don't love the play, but it is what it is at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, But take me back to two thousand and five when the NFL said it's okay to push the ball carrier.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is yeah, I you know, and I was there when that rule had been on the books forever and it was illegal to aid the runner, sist the runner, and push, and the officials just didn't call it. They just didn't. They felt it was difficult. We just didn't see flags. So they felt, okay, if we have a rule in the book that isn't being officiated, let's take it out now. It took, however, many years for this tush push to really gain traction, but it was illegal forever prior to two thousand and six, and I think it would be an easy fix. I think there's a safety.
Speaker 6: Element to it, you know.
Speaker 11: I mean, I know the league came out and said there's no there's no injury data on the play, but look at the Super Bowl. I mean, Chris Jones was was was banged up on the play. You've had several Eagles offensive linemen have said it's a it's a tough play to execute. So we'll see, we'll see how it goes. But I'm just not sure why we we we keep it in.
Speaker 2: Well, the Eagles will tell you that their linement are more susceptible to an injury than the defense is with that play.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and that's a concern.
Speaker 11: That is a real concern, And I just say it's an unfair play too when you think about think about the defense if they if they stack up the runner at the at the line of scrimmage and drive him ten yards back.
Speaker 6: The offense isn't.
Speaker 11: Going to lose those ten yards, right, You're going to get forward progress and come back to the line of scrimmage. But we allow the offense to push runners down the field and gain that advantage. So I just think it's unfair. Look, the Eagles have done a great job with it, and I wouldn't say we have to take it out just because one team is successful. But I do think there's other elements there.
Speaker 3: The kickoff. They seem to be toying with this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think there's any modifications to the kickoff rule.
Speaker 11: I do think that they'll probably move the touch back to the thirty five when you just kick it through the end zone. I do think that the two options for this year will probably move the kicker back five yards or move the touch back up five yards, and again I think they were happy with how the play went. You went from twenty two percent, which was was an all time low in terms of returns, to thirty thirty two to thirty three percent, which was better. I think they wanted to look at the injury data, and the injury data says the play wasn't more dangerous. So I think now they're going to look to increase the number of returns. So probably one of those two things, either the touch back to the thirty five or the kicker back to the thirty and we'll see where it goes from there.
Speaker 2: Dean Blandino, Fox Sports, NFL college football rules analyst and former NFL MVP of officiating.
Speaker 3: Could you see.
Speaker 2: Anything with tweaking field goals with I mean, they've gotten so, you know, proficient with this, and the NFL doesn't like predictability. It's like the extra point. That's why they moved it back because it was predictable. Do you see anything in the future where the NFL would change anything with field goals?
Speaker 3: I think there could be.
Speaker 11: I don't think it's going to happen this this offseason, but when you look at the evolution of the kickers. It's been incredible. Right now, we're eighty six percent on all field goals, setting records. For this year, we had the most field goals per game. I think it was almost three and a half field goals per game, which was the most ever. The kickers are so good and from really any distance, we're seeing sixty yarders like they were thirty yards thirty yards twenty years ago. So yeah, you know, what could you do? I mean, we experimented. I remember being at the Pro Bowl with the kickers and moving the uprights closer.
Speaker 3: You could do that.
Speaker 11: You could do some other things because these kickers, Like you said, the NFL doesn't love predictability. I think they like it when teams go for it. You want to see more touchdowns. So I think that's something in the near future we could say, because.
Speaker 2: They're all about, you know, content, like what looks great esthetically? What looks great if you had a moment where you went to the fifty yard line and the goal post all of a sudden moved in and got a little tighter. It's just like we're talking about with the chain gang. We love that. Now if you do it digitally and you give some drama to that. We love that stuff. I was talking about pylon cam five years before they even implemented it. It's like, you you have the visual aesthetics to always think about. But imagine if the goal post just went in each five yards or ten yards it went in number yes, x number of inches.
Speaker 3: In Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 11: Look, these are all like things that you think outside the box that would make it. You know, you would, you would As you got closer, it became a harder field goal. As the uprights came in. You know, you have to figure out the how to do that with the uprights and the and the goal posts and everything else. We'll we'll see, but I do think that's something the league will look at because again, these kickers are so good today and they're not going to get worse.
Speaker 3: They're only going to get better. What's the wildest rule suggestion that you ever heard?
Speaker 11: The wildest you know we've had, you know, thinking about field goals there. You know, if if the kicker can hit an upright, that's worth four points, you know, so so now you know the doink, the doink would be a good thing. You know, There's there's been quite a few of of but you have to.
Speaker 3: Make the field goal. When you doink it right, that could be it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you could you have to actually hit the upright and go in. You know, there there's variations of that that we can play with. I think the league has done a good job of not getting gimmicky, you know, with with some of the rules changes. You want to maintain that integrity and the foundation of the game.
Speaker 3: And and uh, but there have been some interesting ones over the years.
Speaker 2: Is the official Is it up to the official to tailor his shirt the way he wants to?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we we you know that happened. You know, we remember ed Hockey Lee and he was really the godfather of the medium. And uh and and so we you know, the officials get their uniforms. We we would provide them with a tailor at our officiating clinic, but then inevitably they would go to their own their own folks and and maybe you know this, leave this. You know, I've been I feel good about my off season arm workouts, and I want to I want to show it off a little bit.
Speaker 2: Have fun there in Indianapolis schmoozing, I'm guessing has that with a lot.
Speaker 11: Of schmoozing, But heading home later today, so we'll we'll head home. But it's been a good week here.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Dean. Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: That's Dean Blandino, Fox Sports, NFL college football rules analyst, former VP of Officiating. Of course I'm going to ask him about that, these guys tailoring their shirts. Is there you know, because the NFL they have the uniform people, the uniform police. I don't know if they have the the officials police out there. I don't know about that. That might be a little too tight on the arms. There a couple of phone calls in here, James in Utah, Hi James, thanks for holding.
Speaker 3: What do you have for me today?
Speaker 12: Well, just to let you know, well, I guess, first of all, first time long time six three two twenty eight. I am a professional and surveyor and maybe have a little little beat on some information on measurement, and I apologize. I can make interesting topics boring, So a boring topic I might make incredibly boring. But you do have Marvin Fritzy who get to talk a lot, so your listeners are probably used to boring when it comes to measuring. You mentioned the optics of like the tennis ball, so that's optically and Dean Blendino just mentioned it. That's really the only way to measure that football accurate lead, so GPS isn't super accurate and it would change the way of the football. Now there's some other remote sating. Maybe you could put an RF chip or Bluetooth on the football. I think that would affect the football. So then you go with some kind of optical technique, and it's just not going to work in football to spot that football because there's no possible way. I mean, you get all these angles for the rest trying to spot the football optically and then and then hand spot it out there, the same limitations apply. There's just not technology out there that can measure the end of the football when it's tough to under a running back's arms and there's you know, six seven guys in that pile. So I think that's the reason they're going to do the other one first, and they're going to work on some level of technology. I don't know what that might be, but some level of remote sensing that or bluetooth potentially my help, but I don't think that you're ever going to be able to optically measure the football out there.
Speaker 3: So they're going to have to have some.
Speaker 12: Advancements in technology to have a little bit more precision and where you measure.
Speaker 3: The end of that football. Thank you, James, thank you.
Speaker 2: I just think it's so random when they spot the football and I think we've all watched it, and you go, really, that's the spot. And I saw where Max sures he's still in the major leagues and he says, hey, I'm all for the old school. I don't want modern technology for balls and strikes. Well, of course he doesn't. You're Max Scherzer, You're a Hall of Fame pitcher. Chances are you're gonna get those calls on the corners. You're gonna get that benefit of the doubt by the umpire because you're Mac Schurezer. The new school is no, it's right there, it's right there in front of you. It's either in the strike zone or it's not. Schurzer, through his career has probably got hundreds of calls that he didn't deserve. But because he's Mac Schuzer, the umpire probably said, just like Greg Mannox or Tom Glavin, they those guys lived on the edge. They had to. They didn't have velocity. They lived on the corners. And then as a result, the umpires would go, all right, I'm gonna give that to you for whatever reason, those three hundred game winners, we're gonna help you. But Max Schurzer is like I like the old school style. I don't care if you miss a couple of them, Well you're gonna get the benefit. That computer doesn't know. The robo umpire doesn't know who you are when you're out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauling, do you think the baseball the current baseball umpires are cool with this as long as they keep their jobs.
Speaker 3: I don't think they want to be embarrassed.
Speaker 7: But if they're just imagine you're the homeplate umpire and you're just monitoring the game and adjudicating the game. But the balls and strikes are automatic, so there's nobody yelling at you anymore.
Speaker 3: There's no possibility to be you.
Speaker 2: Oh. I think that their egos they love when you're yelling at them. Yeah, they love being you know, Joe West. Joe West made a career on people yelling at him.
Speaker 7: But I wonder if maybe the new school umpire who's thirty five gol I'll sit behind home plate and monitor the game and make the calls. I'm supposed to call and let the digital do the balls and strikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just going to be a base umpire, just like somebody at first base or you know, third base, second base. It's just they're going to help you with the calls. Yes, Tom, If they.
Speaker 13: Eliminated completely the human elements of balls and strikes, what does that do to the sound.
Speaker 3: They can't.
Speaker 2: They can't eliminate You have to have somebody there at home plate, So you can't just say there's nobody behind there. There still plays at the plate, ball down the line, fair foul.
Speaker 13: No, I'm saying, if they don't have to worry about the balls and strikes element, that's one major responsibility that's now off there. Off they're list of things that they have to do or worry about.
Speaker 2: So like when you think they're gonna take a pay cut because they.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying they should, but I could understand the argument for it.
Speaker 13: If you if you have a set of responsibilities and all of a sudden, one major responsibility is now not on your head, and that's that's yeah.
Speaker 2: But all of a sudden, if that guy goes to first base the next game, then he then what he gets paid Normally.
Speaker 13: I might say you have no responsibilities, but I'm saying that's a big part of being the home plate umpires calling balls and strikes. If that's being determined, then being said in the ear of the home plate up, that's a ball called a ball, or that's then that's a maze, then almost anybody can do that part of the up.
Speaker 2: I shocked that this is the issue you have with you know, robo umps.
Speaker 3: It's a fair issue though.
Speaker 4: I mean, if if the robot's going to do it and you're just the guy relaying the message, then anybody could do that.
Speaker 2: No. No, you still have to call plays at the plate. If there's a foul tip, if somebody gets hit, no you it's you're umpiring. You're still going to have every single pitch. There's the potential for you to say something, Oh there, you might have to make a call there at first base, second base, third. You can go a couple innings and not have any thing to really do.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying they have to make a list of five things they accomplished.
Speaker 3: That as No, No, that's what are you product.
Speaker 2: Do you really think the umpires Union is going to go We're gonna let them cut our pay if you If you, then nobody wants to be at home plate.
Speaker 6: But if you're able to list five things that you accomplish, that where you keep your jump.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break. Your phone calls coming up back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Seaton update the poll results. I would be happy to do that far.
Speaker 4: All right, let's see right now we have up there, how would you want calls made in sports? My people are digital right now? People holding on to sixty seven percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: How are the people?
Speaker 2: Oh, if we have the technology, use the technology. I'm not old school with that. I do like the human element involved in it. But if we have technology to get it right, then I'm fine with that. The potential first pick in the draft, Abdul Carter, has a I guess a stress reaction in his right foot. I've not heard of that before, but it looks like he will need surgery. They will decide that soon. Mixed opinions on whether or not he needs surgery. According to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. But he could have surgery. They would have to put a screw in his right foot.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: He would be out at least eight weeks before he could start working out. Now he could bypass the surgery and he could have his pro day at Penn State and prove the teams that he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Need a procedure. This according to Adam Schefter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Albert Breer Monday Morning Quarterback was with his first hour and he said either way, he doesn't think that it affects his status as the potential number one pick.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Mel Kuiper has him as the second rated prospect in the draft, but also had him number one. Also, a friend of the show, Matt Miller, his latest rankings the number one prospect on the board. So you have the consensus is he is probably the number one pick in the draft. He was I couldn't take my eyes off him when he was healthy. I couldn't take my eyes off him. He was so quick. I'd love to know just how quick he gets off the ball, because it was it was scary, scary quick. And there's a couple of guys who are scary quick, but also you know, good size and maybe you get a guy that you plug and play for the next you know, seven eight years and play at a very high level. This is why I don't understand sometimes with teams, we need a quarterback. Okay, is there a great quarterback? No, but there's some good quarterbacks. Are there great players?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There are great players. Why not take a great player? This goes back to this will be a random pole here, but when the Portland Trailblazers, they already had Clyde Drexler, They didn't Michael Jordan. They already had somebody at that position. So they took a big man in Sam Buie. Now Sambuie injury prone, cut short his career and you know, no fault of his own. He was just kind of frail, but they took him. They needed a big man instead of taking the best player in the draft. And then you figure out something after that. They're like, no, we already have that guy. Uh, We're gonna take a big guy, are you sure. It's like Greg Odin, you gotta have a big guy. And then well, back then the NBA was about you gotta have your big man.
Speaker 3: Everybody has a big man. Nobody is.
Speaker 2: Now you're when's the last time you went somebody went into the draft. You go, you know, we gotta get a big man here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulin maybe like DeAndre Ayton a few years ago. Well, they made a big mistake with that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and they said, oh, he's a true low post player in a non low post league.
Speaker 2: But also I think because he played at Arizona and it was Phoenix who had the number one pick, and they were gonna go, We're gonna get a hometown guy. And then I think the owner at the time was a U of a grad.
Speaker 3: And you're gonna bring in DeAndre a Eighten.
Speaker 2: Instead of you had Lucas coach, right, the Sons had there his coach from Europe as when the owner gets involved, who is at Robert Sarver When the owner gets involved, like, Hey, I'm in a big foot here, But I coached I coached this guy. I've known him since he's fifteen. So we're gonna play play to the locals because everybody's gonna come out and see DeAndre a Eyton.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Point, I have sudden run by you. I want to get your opinion on this. It's a kind of a draft take. Is this the year you don't want a top five draft pick for a couple of reasons. A duel Carter might need foot surgery. That's not a great way to come in the league. That's a that's a risk, that's not a good way to Now. No, cam Ward and Shador Sanders, a lot of people said they would be in the fifteen.
Speaker 3: To twenty five range in last year's draft.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that means you're overdrafting a quarterback that's not worthy of a top five pick. Then you have Travis Hunter, as great as he is cornerbacks, cornerbacks are usually not taken in the top five, and he probably won't play both ways a ton in the NFL. I think it's gonna be scaled down dramatically. So you have four different players that have four different question marks, and maybe that's not what you need. If you're a team that needs everything.
Speaker 2: Well, I think unless you got your guy, than trade out because somebody might want that guy that you would have the opportunity to take, but maybe you don't want him. But I think there are if they say Abdul Carter is going to be healthy, that this is just sort of a blip. But I you know, I don't trust that your foot. Man, I can't go into the draft going, yeah, we got this guy. He's got to screw in his foot and don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See, but those draft.
Speaker 4: Grades that you just mentioned, those are based off of their seasons last year, right, those are Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably no for the most part.
Speaker 7: Matt Miller, the draft experts said if if Sanders and cam Ward were in last year's draft, they'd go between fifteen and thirty.
Speaker 4: If they had the seasons of this they've had this year but went in last year's draft.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yeah, yeah, I think there's a lot of risk there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would not be taking these quarterbacks if I get a quarterback that I like, if it's Jackson, you know, I like Dart I do. But do I want him in the top five, ten, fifteen, twenty. Probably not. I would hope I could get him a little later on maybe final hour on the way. We'll get some more phone calls coming up. Oh, we're gonna do dour rankings. Been a while since we've had Dowur rankings. Final Hour in this Thursday, right after this