Speaker 1: What causes your body to gain weight? Your body, if it could talk to you, was like you just had a lot of extra stuff you've been giving me, and I didn't know where to put it. So I started in your belly and I'm putting it there. To save your life.
Speaker 2: Women's Health Expert podcast host dotor Mindy peals what is the worst mistake someone can make while fasting that will make them gain weight doing.
Speaker 1: The same fast the same way every single day. This is the part that I want to scream from the rooftop.
Speaker 2: Weird throw to announce that we've reached three million subscribers. We're incredibly grateful for each and every one of you. If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to hit that subscribe button so you never miss out on any of our new releases. We're dedicated to bringing you the content you love. Our team carefully analyzes what resonates most with you to bring on board the best experts and storytellers to help you improve your life. Some of your favorite topics are sleep science, weight loss, physical fitness, navigating breakups, habit building, and understanding toxic relationships. Upcoming episodes include one of the biggest names in health and science. World renowned relationship therapist and your favorite manifestation expert is back to drop new findings. Hit Subscribe to not miss any of these episodes. If you think of someone who would love this episode, send it to them to make their day. The number one health and wellness podcast, Jay Sheety Jay Sheety s Hey. Everyone, Welcome back to On Purpose, the place you come to to become a happier, healthier, and more healed. Today's guest is going to help us do just that from the inside out. Dr Mindy Pels is a women's health expert, podcast host and best selling author of Fast Like a Girl, The Menopause Reset, and her new book Eat Like a Girl, with a mission to empower women by helping them understand their bodies. Doctor Pell's as become a leading voice in the fields of hormones, fasting, and healthy living. Doctor Mindy's work provides invaluable guidance for women navigating the complexities of hormones, metabolic health, and your nutrition. Please welcome to On Purpose, Doctor Mindy Peals. Lindy, It's great to see you and thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm excited. I'm super happy to be here and have this conversation with you.
Speaker 2: I just want to point out how amazing you are because you actually here on your birthday, which shows how much you value and deeply believe in the work you're doing to be spending your birthday with us, so I feel even more lucky and grateful to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm sure it's like your work, you know it is. It's just oozes out of me. So it's not like I had to sacrifice to be here on my birthday. It was more of a joy to be here. So thank you for having me on my birthday.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, let's get right into it. I wanted to start off with a big question. When we knew you were coming on the show, we asked our audience for things that they would love to learn from you, things they'd love to know about you, And one of the biggest ones that came up is what is the worst mistake someone can make while fasting that will make them gain weight?
Speaker 1: Ooh, this was the biggest question. Okay, this is really great because they're not a one sentence answer. So the biggest mistake for starters is doing the same fast the same way every single day, over and over. And over again. Wow, we were meant to vary. Men and women were meant to vary our fasts. And here's the way you look at it is that the human body will adapt to what we call a hormetic stress, a little tiny stressor that puts it into a forced adaptation. So you go without food, all of a sudden, you're like, your body's like, wait a second, no food's coming in. We're gonna need to go find that food that we stored years ago, and so it will go to the fat storage and burn that fat. If you do that same style of fasting, maybe it's one meal a day, over and over and over again, the body gets really smart and it's like, wait, no food's coming in. I only get a little bit of food every single day. I'm gonna slow my metabolism down. So the biggest mistake that people make is that they've got to vary their fast, vary the length. You don't fast every day. It's what we call feast famine cycling. And it's how the human body was designed to be.
Speaker 2: I was not expecting that answer, actually, because I feel I feel like everything wherever told is like here's the hours, here's what it is. Do it five days in a row, maybe you can take a couple of days off a week or a month or whatever it may be. How do you know, then, how to structure it to give yourself some sort of system to follow, Yes, so that you're not just I guess, completely out of sync as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So first I want to say is if it makes logical sense if you go back and you think about the hunter gatherers, like they came out of the cave, and sometimes they had a meal left over from a kill they made the night before. Sometimes they had a lot of food, and then sometimes they had no food. So our body is used to that feast famine cycling, because that's how we were primarily designed. So I want to point that out. Second thing, the way that I see this is that every day you have a fasting window and you have an eating window, and you're eating window, you get to vary, and it should vary for most people based off your lifestyle. So let's use the example of the soccer mom because that was sort of a big part of my practice. Was all these I call them the mama bears, and what we found is that they want the most important meal for them was dinner with the family, so they needed to skip breakfast and start their eating windows somewhere around twelve one o'clock so that they could finish that eating window at seven eight o'clock. So Monday through Friday they would make their eating window in the afternoon evening. But then on the weekends, like a lot of family want to have brunch on Sunday, or maybe they'll go to the farmer's market, or maybe they'll go out to breakfast on Saturday morning, so then they would move their eating window up earlier in the day. So I think you should base it off your lifestyle, and then of course base it off of women should base it off their cycle, which is what fast Like a Girl is about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm someone who loves systems and routines, so I end up eating. I'm a three meals per day kind of person. I have to eat three meals a day. My body reacts in whether it's cramps or fatigue or whatever if I don't. So if I try and miss breakfast or have a late breakfast, I'm feeling that if I'm skipping a meal in the middle of the day, I'm feeling that my body wants it. So I generally end up eating three meals a day pretty much at the same time every day. Is that bad? Am I doing that wrong?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean I always say it depends on your intention. So what's your intention for your health?
Speaker 2: My intention right now is to gain strength and muscle as I've been training and trying to enough protein. Is someone who follows a plant based on it.
Speaker 1: And then you are doing when you're working out in the morning, Yes, in the morning, yeah, So for you, because you're trying to up muscle, you're going to want to make sure that you eat before your workout, and you're going to want to make sure you eat after your.
Speaker 2: Work before yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So then what will end up having? So you go in fueled, you're breaking that muscle down while you're working out, and then you're refueling afterwards. That would be like the perfect way to stack protein. But then where does the fasting window fit in? So the fasting window would probably be more towards the end of the day. And one of the things that I just try to make this simple for everybody is the best thing you can do is always eat in the light. The minute we start eating in the dark, like at the end of the day, we've got melotonin coming into our body, and melotonin causes us to be more insulin resistant. So if you are working out at nine in the morning, i'd want you to have a meal, maybe a small little protein shake. At eight, you do your workout, then you follow it up with that time email. Yeah I would do Yeah, I would just enough to kind of fuel you. Yeah, you wouldn't need a huge amount. And then five six o'clock at night, depend on the time of year, you shut it down. And then now if you're done eating at six, you would go, you know, six to six all the way till eight. That's a fourteen hour fast every day, and that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's pretty much what I do fasting. Was I still being at like six thirty? We always have an early dinner. Yeah, but I guess yeah, that means no none of those late night snacks that if I end up being out till late if I have to, could have stopped those late nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the challenge.
Speaker 2: Eating the light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so eating the light and then what a lot of people do because of that night snacking. What a lot of people decide is you know what, I'd rather delay my breakfast so that I can eat a little bit later, because I maybe you sit down with a bowl of popcorn and watch a movie at night, and so they'll make their first meal noon. But this is the whole point of what I'm trying to teach is all of this is customizable, so you but you should customize it to your intention and your goals and your lifestyle. And if you can do it that way, it's a health habit that becomes effortless over time, as opposed to what we typically do, which is I'm going to get healthy, I'm going to get fit. I'm going to just discipline myself into this new body I want, right, and then after a while we lose the discipline and we boomerang back into our old habits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you've already given me something. I'm going to start having that bite to eat before my workouts now. I think that will make a huge difference. Yeah, for sure. No, I love that. The second thing that everyone asked about, which is the big one, which is what is the fastest, most effective way for people to lose their belly fat?
Speaker 1: Everybody was.
Speaker 2: Everyone's obsessed with.
Speaker 1: Everybody is obsessed with belly fat. Okay, I want to start with this understanding what causes your body to gain weight, And that's a better question to ask yourself than how do I get this weight off, because you need to know the mechanism. Here's what the body does is whenever there is excess excess glucose, excess hormones, excess toxins. The body is so well designed that it knows I can't put all these this excess around your heart and lungs. I probably shouldn't put this around your liver. I'm not going to go over here and put it around your spleen. I'm going to store it somewhere that will keep you alive. So it stores it first around your belly way. So this is the thing that I'm like trying to free women from. Is then you look in the mirror and you're like, wait a second, I hate that belly fat, and you shame yourself. You've guilt your way into the next diet. When your body, if it could talk to you, was like, okay, listen, you just had a lot of extra stuff you've been giving me, and I didn't know where to put it. So I started in your belly. Then I put it in your booty. Then I put it around your face, in the back of your arms, and for women sometimes it goes in the chest and I'm putting it there to save your life. So I think the first step to losing menopausal belly fat is getting in alignment with the body and great and thank the body for what it's doing because it's tried to save you. So now we have that understanding, we go, okay, well, belly in general, can we know cortisol? So we are a cortisol saturated world right now, and so we got to do something to help with cortisol. Well, there are there are things to help with cortisol other than you know, becoming a monk. There are other things you can do other than sitting somewhere and just meditating, like easy things. A stressful event hits you, the worst thing you can do is sit, get up and move. Cortisol was meant to make you move. It's that hormone that gives you up, get up and go because you're running from a tiger. So if you're sitting at your desk, boss walks in is like, hey, I need this by the end of the day, and you're like, there's no way I can get it, and you're all upset. The worst thing you can do is stay seated. Go move your body, so constantly walking will help bring that cortisol down. Getting out in nature more bringing cortisol down. Hanging out with positive people so that you're not in an environment where negative people are throwing cortisol bombs at you all day long, where you're thinking starts to become one that's intrinsic that you're starting to like think everything is a threat and you're not safe and cortisol is high. That all relates to belly fat. This is why I'm like going into the detail on this, because people want the quick fix, but I with the belly fat. The first thing I want people to ask themselves is what is the stress level of my life? And how can I bring that stress level down? And how can I start to work with cortisol Walking being the biggest one, hanging out in nature, and then getting your body in the right and vices. Then you can look at toxins. So we started this conversation before we recorded about toxicity. We live in the most toxic time in human history. Women are putting over two hundred toxic carcinogenic chemicals on their skin every single day. The brilliant body is like, I don't know what to do with all this, So I'm going to put it around your belly and your chest and again. Then we look in the mirror and we're mad at ourselves because we weren't disciplined enough. So go and look at your toxic load. What toxic chemicals are constantly coming into your body. Start looking into different detoxes because we got to bring your toxic load down.
Speaker 2: One of the most commonplaces that people are putting toxins into their body.
Speaker 1: Well, skin is a big one. Food is horrible. I put a whole thing and eat like a girl, and I was so depressed after I wrote it all about obesogens. So obesogens are chemicals that are in our food. So BPA plastics are what our food are wrapped around. That's an obesigen. Pesticides are a no obesigen. There's a long list in the book, like artificial colorings and flavorings, BHT, BHA, all of these synthetic ingredients. What they do, and this is the part that I'm want to scream from the rooftops, is what they do is they literally those chemicals go into stem cells and they reprogram those stem cells to actually make fat cells. And one of the places we're seeing this is in the UK right now because kids have low lots of stem cells and as we get older, we have less, and so what we're seeing is that the stem cells that we're supposed to make bone are now making fat and so kids are becoming their heights is smaller and shorter than ever before, and they're bigger and bigger than ever before. So these chemicals are totally crazy changing our fat distribution, and the belly fat is one of them. So what you put on your body and what you're putting in your mouth start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's so terrifying.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's terrifying because it feels like everything you turn over these days, every pack is labeled with a million different things. Yep. And if you're not conscious and aware and checking, pretty much everything you pick up is going to have one of those things in it.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, And the best thing you can do is eat food without a label, Like go to your farmer's market, get you know, healthy fruits and vegetables. If you eat meat, you know know who your butcher is, and like know where that meat came from. Make sure it wasn't packed with chemicals like I think we used to think it was like woo wu and people who ate organic or hippies, And I would say, at this particular moment in history, you should know an ingredient label. You should know those chemicals that are going into your food because they are reprogramming your body. And one of the things, they're reprogramming our stem cells to make these these you know, fat cells, and you're double downing on dieting and you're double downing on working out, and you don't even realize that it's actually this chemical load that has completely reprogrammed your body.
Speaker 2: And so they are conscious of it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh well, So the chemicals are there for two reasons in food. One is shelf life, so you know, much easier for these food companies to make sure that their food, if it sits on a shelf, is going to last a very long time. The second one is that they are hijacking your taste buds so that you're addicted to it. Let me give you an example years ago in the La Times. This was like fifteen years ago. This three spread page spread comes out in the LA Times like huge about what it was lays Speci potato chips. What they were doing, what the company was looking at was what kind of chemicals can we spray on the potato chip so that it hits all the dopamine receptor sites in the brain. But we got to keep that chip light enough that when it hits the stomach, it doesn't stem trigger a reaction in the brain to kill hunger. So it needs to be light, it has to be salty, it has to hit the have a little bit of sweetness in it so it can hit those dopamine sites, but we can't let the person fill up on it. So think about that. How many people open a bag of potato chips and eat it does just that it does that. You can't just eat one, You're like, the whole bag's gone, and then the next thing you know, you're like, I need more food. And that is what all this Western processed food is doing, is it's high jacking our taste buds. So now we don't even have control over our taste buds.
Speaker 2: It's so hard when you know that you're being manipulated and programmed, and it's been hard wired since such a young age. Ye that the habit that we have of grabbing that bag of chips or the chocolate bar or whatever else it may be. It feels like that is us, almost like, oh, but that's who I am. I just love that type of food or that's what I'm used to, and we're trying to go against this deep, long term conditioning. It feels like, yes, and so breaking that habit is a lot harder than it seems.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And again, I'm always looking at things through the slant of women's health, because what I think women do is that when they don't know this information is that they start to think they can't lose weight because there's something wrong with them. And they have no idea that the chemicals they've been eating in their diet food that was low fat and they bought because they wanted the lower sugar version act she had a chemical in it that reprograms stem cells to make fat cells and hijack their taste buds so that they're addicted to these foods over and over again. But the woman doesn't know that. She's like, oh God, I can never lose weight. It must be my fault. She goes into the doctor's office. The doctor's like, your BMI is really high, and so now all of a sudden, he's, you know, the doctor's like, you got to lose weight. She doesn't know what to do, so she's like doubling down on eating less, she's doubling down on exercise, she's doubling down on shaming herself. And she didn't realize that it was actually the food industry that changed her whole body, and she needs to unhook from that food system in order to get the results she wants.
Speaker 2: A lot of people when they're in that position was something they do is people count calories? Do they matter?
Speaker 1: So this question comes up all the time. So I'm so happy that you asked it because based off of research, yes, calories matter, but based off of human behavior, calories don't matter. So this is why in Eat Like a Girl, I have a statement that blood sugar matters, calories don't. And the reason that I say that is that every single woman I sat with in my clinic and all the feedback we're getting on our socials from women who are fasting is that they don't know how many calories they eat in a day, and they don't know how many calories is their output in a day. So nobody can actually succeed at calories in calories out. But I can take a CGM and I can put it on the back of a woman's arm, and I could say just eat, and then she can see real time what that blood sugar spikes? How many does she have? Over and over and over again, And from that visual she can start to make better choices about her health that affects her blood sugar better and so that she can start to keep her blood sugar low. I'll give you an example at a patient a couple of years ago that was plant based and not wanting to change plant based. I was in honor of her choice, but when we put a CGM on her, she had about ten spikes of these really high spikes of glucose every single day. And I asked her, I was like, how do you like, what do your moods follow these spikes? And she's like, yeah, I'm like up, I'm down, I'm hungry, and then I'm not hungry, like I feel like I'm on a roller coaster all day long. So what I did is we worked with Okay, how about if we add a little bit of fat. How about if we add a little bit of fiber. What if we take some of these things, like oat milk, and let's sort of switch oat milk, or maybe if you love your oat milk, let's make sure it's really clean oat milk. And let's add a little MCT oil in your coffee. And we started to change how a meal was put together, and she went down to about four spikes a day. She didn't and she didn't change really anything. She ate. She changed the way that she put a meal together, and then the blood sugar changed, and then her mood's changed, and then her weight changed because we because I taught her blood sugar that doesn't happen with calories.
Speaker 2: How many spikes a day is okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's an average spike amount, but let's let's say that when you get a glucose spike, the most important thing is that it comes down to its pre glucose amount, pre meal amount within ninety minutes. So textbook is two hours. But I like to say if we can do like an hour and a half where you have a blood sugar spike, and with an hour half your blood sugars right back where it was before you ate that meal, that you're pretty insulin sensitive. If it's taking more than two hours for your body to be able to integrate that glucose, now we may have a little bit metabolically resistant, insulin resistant body. So it's your recovery from the meal that matters more than anything taking Oh.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, So nineteen minutes is what we should be.
Speaker 1: That's my personal standard clinical like what most doctors will say is two hours, but I like it to be a little quicker than.
Speaker 2: That court it. So that's what we should be measuring. That's what we should be looking at.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing is one of the greatest studies done on fasting is sixteen eight and such In Panda was the leader of that in that study, and what he found is that if you ate all your food in an eight hour eating window leaving sixteen hours for rest and recovery, that you basically became metabolically immune from the harsh metabolic consequences of a processed diet. So what that meant was, I can take all the bad food, and I can put an eight hour eating window, and if I give my body sixteen hours to rest, then the metabolic system rebooted itself and was able to continue forward. Without seeing insulin go up and hemoglobin a once you go up, and inflammatory markers like CRP go up. So when I look at the spikes, I want to see the recovery of the spike, and then I want to see that part of the day you're just not eating anything that there's no spikes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Ye? That makes a lot of sense. That makes a lot of sense. I couldn't be more excited to share something truly special with all you tea lovers out there. And even if you don't love tea, if you love refreshing, rejuvenating, refueling sodas that are good for you, listen to this RADI and I poured our hearts into creating Juny Sparkling Tea with adaptogens for you because we believe in nurturing your body and with every sip you'll experience calmness of mind, a refreshing vitality, and a burst of brightness to your day. Juni is infused with adaptogens that are amazing natural substances that act like superheroes for your body to help you adapt to stress and find balance in your busy life. Our super five blend. These powerful ingredients include green tea, Ushwa, Ganda, acirola cherry and Lion's made mushroom and these may help boost your metabolism, give you a natural kick of caffeine, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants, and stimulate brain function even better. Juni has zero sugar and only five calories per can. We believe in nurturing and energizing your body while enjoying a truly delicious and refreshing drink. So visit Drinkjuni dot com today to elevate your wellness journey and use code on Purpose to receive fifteen percent off your first order. That's drink Juni dot com and make sure you use the code on Purpose. Hey everyone, it's Jay Chetty and I'm thrilled to announce my podcast tour. For the first time ever. You can see my on Purpose podcast live and in person. Join me in a city near you for meaningful, insightful conversation with surprise guests. It could be a celebrity, top wellness expert, or a CEO or business leader. We'll dive into experiences designed to inspire growth, spark learning, and build real connections. I can't wait to see you there. Tickets are on cell now head to Jayshetty dot me and get yours today. One of the things that I find fascinating that you talk about and eat like a girl, is you talk about eating for your microbes, not your taste buds. And I find this to be the constant kind of challenge that people in my life have when I'm talking about healthy eating or healthy habits. When it comes to food, we generally eat for our taste buds or eat for our emotions. Talk to me before we talk about eating for your microbes. Talk to me about how our patterns of our taste buds have changed over time, because I feel, again, we're not aware of the root of where this started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is the reason I put that as a real foundational rule is again trying to free women and help women have a better relationship with food. And there's so many women that can just find out, like, let's use carbohydrates or sugar or alcohol. They'll say, I just crave it. I can't, I can't uncrave it. I just it's like the tub of ice cream just calls me. Well, if you actually look, there can be microbes and there can be fungus that lives in your gut. That is doing the calling. So those are the ones that are sending a signal to the brain feed me. So we have trillions of bacteria in our gut and they all want to stay alive, and so they send signals to the brain and they tell the brain feed me this, don't feed me that, so that it can stay alive. And then on top of that we add this dopamine response we're getting from the chemical food. We actually not really in control of our food choices when you look through that lens. So let's go to your friends, your friends who are like, I have no will, I don't know how to get over my sugar addiction. Well, the first thing is make sure you're eating chemical free get back to nature's food, because nature didn't create food that made you addicted. So get off those processed foods. And then let's look at feeding your microbes. Let's give your microbes more food. Like what I found in my clinic is the people were eating the same foods over and over and over again, like the same twenty foods. And now when I opened it up their whole food window and said, hey, how about instead of iceberg lettuce every night, what if we try a spring mix with a little parsley and maybe some danelion green so we can support your liver. Like all of a sudden, we just opened up the foods they were eating and the microbes changed. And if you mix that with fasting. The greatest study that I love, one of the greatest that was done on fasting was the every other day diet. And what a researcher did is she took a group of people that were metaball challenged, had food addiction, and had cardiovascular challenges and said, you can eat anything you want one day, and then the next day you don't eat, and the next day eat whatever you want. Next day, don't eat. And what she found was that and then they had to do it over a course of a year. By the end of the year, everybody's metabolic markers improved, everybody lost weight, which is what she thought would happen. But what surprised her was that everybody's choice of food, what they were craving changed. So when I look at those people struggling with like I can't get over my cravings, We've got to change your microbiome and we've got to put you in some fasted states so we can have you can start to have a different experience with these cravings, and it's a combination of those things.
Speaker 2: How do we detox the bacteria that's calling out for the sugar or calling out for the fats or cobs or whatever it is. How do we how do we detox those We starve them out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you start starving them out.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that's why. I mean, I've spent a lot of time really asking myself, like, why did Fast Like a Girl connect with people? What was it that was in there? I mean we have acrossed all the audio and the ebook and the hard copy. Over eight hundred thousand versions of Fast Like a Girl was purchased, and I think, yeah, thank you. I think what happened is that people finally were able to take a break from food and they saw the result, and they started to starve out the microbes and they started to go after all these places that the body stored excess and they started to see a result. And I really believe if you want to be healthy, you don't need motivation. You need momentum. And once you have momentum, the motivation comes. So one of the things that we do, and you're looking at these microbes that are controlling your taste buds. Is let's just start tacking on some you know, fasting windows every day where you just give the microbes a break and they will start to die off. And the longer you fast, the more they die off, and your food choices will change, which is what happened in that study.
Speaker 2: I've experienced that personally. I always talk about how my wife trained me off of sugar because when I met her, I was addicted for sure. Yeah, I was that friend, Yes, And it's I can empathize with it because I know how strong it was for me, because I grew up eating four chocolate products a day, and now I'll have one dessert a week and it's taken me or like one refined sugar product a week, and then I'll only need natural sugars like fruits and things for the rest of the week. And I think it's it's been such a journey for me, But you're so right that it had to be starved, had to be substituted, and the eventually, eventually I started realizing how many other things were impacting my desire for sugar. It was a lack of workout, it was poor sleep, it was a lack of the right vitamins and supplements between. My body had low energy. So it turned to what I thought gave the energy, and so you started realizing how interconnected all those things were exactly, rather than actually being about my addiction to sugar.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Like when people are like I like, I've had so many over the years, people like I could never fast, and I'm always like, oh, actually sit with me for a hot moment, because there hasn't been a person that I haven't been able to train to fast. You just trained your body to eat, and you could look at the same thing with the food you're eating when you're like I can't I can't overcome my sugar addiction. No, you should rephrase that and you should say I've trained my body to crave sugar. I would like to train it to crave something different, and that's your What you did is you found out what we would call a multi therapeutic approach. A lot of different things came into play so that you could literally train your body to crave something different.
Speaker 2: Yes, and still doing it today. It's a practice that has to continue and last. No, for sure, there's another thing that you brought up which you talk about protein being the hero macro ingredient. Yeah, and right now I feel like protein's like the hot it's happened everywhere. It's having its moment, for sure. I wanted to ask you about you know, no one seems to be getting the amount of protein that everyone says you should be getting. So how much protein should we be getting and how do we actually get there?
Speaker 1: Well, to me, the protein is very much like when we were counting carbs or when we were counting calories, like they're fun to do in a moment, and then nobody sustains it over time. So I'm in alignment with everybody what everybody's saying, which is one gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, Like, I think that's a good measurement for you to look at. I've heard some people even say you need, you know, two grams of protein for every pound of body weight if you're trying to to grow muscle. So I think in theory that's great. And then we have things like make sure you have thirty grams of protein per meal so that you can open up amino acid receptor sites to grow muscle. I think that's all great. Now let's talk. Let's talk to the woman in the Midwest. Let's talk to the single mom in the Midwest that's working two jobs. And she's like, I'm just trying to stay afloat, and now you want me to count how many grams of protein I eat every day so that can be optimally healthy. This is why I put in there. What I want her to know is just know protein's the hero macronutrient, has amino acids in it, and amino acids are going to make you hormones and neurotransmitters. So at every single meal, I want you to look at the protein source first and how do you get as much protein in that meal? And then build the carbohydrates around it, and build the vegetables and everything around it. Don't skimp on the pro routine. Every meal has to have a protein that is a more doable like language and for a woman who is or and man who is like so busy, because again I don't know if people are successfully counting this day and in day out unless they're really making a priority.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't. My appetite wouldn't even allow me to eat that much protein. Like, I struggle with two things. One is I don't think I can eat that much protein. I've tried yep. And second of all, it's hot, heavy on my guy, it's hard on my gut. Like that much protein justt my gut com process. Yeah, So how do you over those two things?
Speaker 1: This actually came up in another interview and I and I explained that this February of this year, I decided to try the protein theory and I was working out with a trainer. I was lifting heavyweights. I'm fifty fifty five as of today. I was fifty four at the time. I'm postmenopausal, and I was like, Okay, let me experiment with this protein thing. In January, I was still with the trainer, I was still tacking on my fasting window, and I was really doing what I could talk about in the book, where I would have keto days and I would have hormone feasting days, but I wasn't as focused on protein. In January, I lost weight and I built muscle. In February, I'm same thing. I just upped my protein to one gram per pounded body weight. By the end of February, I had put on more fat than if I had been doing none of that. And I was like, this isn't working for me. This is too much protein for my body. And I went back to just protein with every meal. Mindy stopped trying to get it to a certain amount. That was my experience. Now other people will say, oh, I've built so much muscle with it. Amazing. But I talk about this in the book that we have to go back to end of one. En of one means you can hear us talk about protein and now your job is to figure out if it works for you. It works, So it was hard for you. It sounds like it was hard.
Speaker 2: It's been hard right now. I've been practicing with it for like three months maybe, yeah, experimenting.
Speaker 1: So it was hard for me, whereas other people are like, this works perfectly for me, which is great. So I just think protein with every meal. We have to prioritize protein, and then you've got to find what pattern of the amount is going to be best for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The point is to remember it's the hero ingredient that's right, and and and then build around it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And don't worry if you're not getting thirty grams. Put me a little forty grams or even depending on your body, with fifty sixty grams. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the zone diet?
Speaker 2: I do, yes, Yeah, okay, So the very.
Speaker 1: Serious this was back in when, like when I was in university, so this was back in the nineties. He was the first one to say when you put a meal together, and he used pasta as an example. He was like, the worst thing you could do is have pasta with red sauce and no protein, because that is all glucose and you'll get this incredible glucose spike. But actually, if you put a meatball in there and you drizzle some olive oil on it, now the metabolic cost to you will be much less and you will lose weight. And his whole thing was like, stay in the zone. You got to stay in the zone. So the protein conversation to me, I feel like, needs to evolve to protein at every meal, and let's make sure we're putting it there with fat and some nature some of nature's carbs and some fiber, and how you put that meal together has a bigger is going to have a bigger effect on you than just the protein amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very helpful. Yeah, that's very helpful. And I hope everyone is listening and watching kind of you know, eases up on it or finds a way that it works for you. I think that's yeah, yeah, that's the point. When does you know, I think we've been talking a lot about belly fat and fat in general. When does fat make you fat?
Speaker 1: That's a great question. Okay, So toxic fat makes you fat?
Speaker 2: What is it? Toxic?
Speaker 1: Dist so our canola oils are cotton seed, corn oils, soybean oils, partially hydrogenated oils, vegetable oils, highly processed sunflower and saft flower oils. Those are the biggies. Those are toxins. So let's go back to what is fat. Fat is a storage place for things. Your body doesn't know what to do with those oils. Your body doesn't know what to do with so it's putting it around your belly, it's putting it in fat. So stop giving it to your body, because when you give it to your body, the body's so smart. It's like, I'm just gonna go store it over here. If I come over and I do. Now, Avocado oil, olive oil. Olive oil is like the hero oil. Even some MCT oil or even some of the nut oils, like walnut oil, or seed some seed oils like sesame seed oil your body. He knows what to do with that. It knows how to integrate that. It doesn't cause cellular inflammation, and so it'll kill hunger. It's gonna help nourish your brain. It's gonna stabilize your blood sugar. It's you need these oils to make hormones, so totally different beasts. One makes you fat and the other one actually will make you healthy and can actually help you lose weight because it kills hunger.
Speaker 2: When we're also talking about a fat inta, is there a time of day that's better for us to be eating fat vests others or is it something that needs to be spread out across the day.
Speaker 1: I think of fat as like a blood sugar break. So let's use today as an example. It's like three o'clock in the afternoon, and so I had my first meal. I worked out in the morning. On an empty stomach is just where I decide to go today. I had some collagen powder in my coffee and a little bit of raw cream, and then I went out and worked out, and then I had my first meal around eleven o'clock. And one of the things that I made sure I did is get a lot of protein and a lot of fat, because I knew I wasn't gonna eat again until tonight, and I was coming here for this podcast. So I didn't want my blood sugar to spike at one or two and then show up in your chair and have brain fog and be unable to focus and my energy low. So I made sure I had extra fat on my breakfast and extra protein so that my glucose stayed very steady. So I like fat when you are not trying to get you're really trying to minimize a glucose spike. So performance is what I just explained. Or I don't want to be hungry in two more hours, I should use some fat. Or I don't want to crave that chocolate at ten o'clock at night, so I should have some more fat with my dinner. Because all of that stabilizes blood sugar, and then those cravings and those brain fog in that lack of energy doesn't show up.
Speaker 2: That's really helpful because I think again, it comes to if we have the time and energy to be that mindful with what we can plan, but especially when it comes to big events, big moments, big meetings, big high performance moments in our life. It seems like that's something good to be mindful at those times.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that's why I love olive oil. Just start drizzling it on your meal and you will be shocked at how it kills hunger, and you'll be shocked at how you're not hungry for hours afterwards, and your brain power is completely online and focused. It's the easiest thing to add.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Me and my wife were joking about how often what happens is you end up eating smaller meals, but then you end up eating junk after its yeah right, and that happens so often because we're like, oh no, I want to be mindful of my portion size or whatever it is, and then at ten pm you want to dessert. But the idea of sprinkling something simple as olive oil onto your meals, yeah, to help cub a craving night.
Speaker 1: And then you know, olive oils are high in polyphenols, and polyphenols feed the good microbes. So when you're drizzling olive oil on your meal, you're stabilizing blood sugar and you're feeding the good microbes. So those good microbes are going to keep giving you signals to crave good food, so it really is multifactorial. But let's go back, just so we don't confuse people. Let's go back to the calorieane calorie out because some people are like, wait a second, if I put too much olive oil on top of my food, that's a lot of calories. But I'm back at does the caloriane calorie out is it working for you? I'm more interested in you feeding your body through the lens of metabolic health so that your blood sugar can be stable. I'm interested in food being a performance enhancer for you. And I care a lot about your microbes because not only do they control your cravings, but they control your immune system. Your neurotransmit is like, they are the thing that is driving your health if you actually look into it. So olive oil, you drizzled it on your meal and like magic happened in your body.
Speaker 2: And eat like a girl. Your new book, you talk about how we need to eat to make hormones, especially for women, woke me through the importance of that because I don't think i'd ever heard that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this came kind of out of my frustration with women feeling like if I have low hormones, then I just need to take an exogenous form of hormone and put it into my body. And what I wanted women, I'm not saying that's wrong. I'm just wanted to say, can we have a conversation first before you start to feel like the challenge with your female body is you don't have enough hormones? Can we look at your food behaviors and ask ourselves are you getting enough nutrients in to be able to act actually make hormones. So I look at it like, if you were making bread, you have to have a certain amount of ingredients. You've got to have flour, you probably have to have yeast, you have to have some baking soda, Like there are certain ingredients that need to go into bread in order for it to rise and for it to be able to be bread. Same thing with hormones. And what I did in the book is I spent a lot of time researching, well, what are those nutrients that we need? And I came up with what I call the key twenty four. You need these twenty four nutrients every single day to be able to even make a hormone. And when you look at those twenty four ingredients, like nine of them are amino acids, which takes us back to protein, and you got proteins where you're getting amino acids from. And one of the major one is omega three fatty acids, which takes us back to olive oil. So if I'm a woman who is like, let's just talk about I'm sure this is going to come up because it keeps coming up. Let's talk about the weight loss drugs. Let's say I'm taking a shot that kills my hunger, so I'm not eating very much and I'm losing weight. But if I'm not getting food in with enough nutrients into my body, I don't have enough of these vitamins and minerals and fatty acids and amino acids to make hormones. So down the road, something's going to give from my lack of intention around a diverse meal. So that's why I put it in there, was like, can we start looking at food as hormonal medicine. Food isn't just pleasure, Food isn't just you know, energy. Food is actually feeding these hormones. But you've got to get a good variety of food in order to do that.
Speaker 2: Is there any indication to women's health at age twenty thirty, forty fifty, where different hormones and different foods are more of a priority in the different decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well in the younger years. I mean again, what we're talking about is gold and Fast Like a Girl introduced something I called the fasting cycle, which is where the front half of your cycle you're going to keep your glucose low, and then the back half of your cycle you want to bring your glucose up. So and I showed that through the lens of fasting in this book. I'm really in Eat Like a Girl. I really want women to see front half of your cycle. You're really catering to estrogen, and estrogen likes glucose to be low. So the keto diet, the low carb diets that you were on, they'll work in that front half of the cycle. Just again, keep diversifying your food choices, whereas the back half of your cycle progesterones showing up, and progesterone actually wants you to keep glucose higher. This is why every single woman craves carbohydrates or chocolate or something sugary the week before her period, because her body is so intelligent. It's like I need you to bring up glucose so I can make progesterone so that the uterine lining can shed and you can have a cycle. So for those women twenty and thirty, this is the message they need to know. Front half of the cycle, lower car, back half of the cycle, higher carb. That's as simple as I can make it. It's more detailed in the book. Now let's go into perimenopause and menopause, estrogen goes is going away, and when estrogen goes away, that woman becomes more insulin resistant. So I can't tell you how many women will tell me I haven't done anything. I'm forty three years old, I haven't done anything different, and I am gaining weight. That's because you're losing estradel and estradial kept you insulin sensitive, and so now you have to find other ways to keep yourself insulin sensitive. And fasting is one of the best ways that I know to keep yourself insulin sensitive. And then you're probably gonna need again as you move through perimenopause. You're going to need a little lower carbohydrate diet mixed with splashes of a higher carbiohydrate diet. So this is why in the book. I'm like, here's your I call it. Ketobiotic is when we want to go lower carb but keep enough fiber in there. And then hormone feasting is when we want to go higher carbs so we can cater to progesterone. It sounds confusing, no, no, not to well, yeah, but it's think of it like gas pedal break. Like, you know, there's a rhythm to a female body, so you're just going to understand the rhythm of your hormones so you can match the foods and the fast according to that.
Speaker 2: What are our greatest on misunderstandings of the female body and in what decades are we so confused about or uneducated about that you'd like to point out, Oh.
Speaker 1: Thank you for asking me. That the female body is highly comp it is highly rhythmic, so it's constantly having ups and downs to it. If you look at our hormones, there is we are meant to have moments of where we're in complete joy, and then there are moments that we're crying, and there are moments that we were rushing to the gym and we're so excited to go work out, and then there's other moments that we can't get off the couch. And that's all because you live in a female body that is driven by different hormones. So the first thing I want women to know is your hormonal system makes you highly complex, and a male's body isn't that complex. This is the way I've been saying it, And I always say, like, you know, no offense to men, but like you guys are like a ukulele and we're like a violin. Like it's just we are a very Our body is a very sophisticated instrument, and because of our sex hormones were we require more rest and recovery. We don't do as well with toxicity. When we become insulin resistant, we start to become infertile, and we start to get things like PCOS polycystic ovarian syndrome, and our menopause symptoms will be off the chart like crazy. So that doesn't happen so much to men. So we're just a more sophisticated body we're living in.
Speaker 2: What are some of the things you would encourage people to be mindful of at different stages, to spot those signs early and to respond, because it seems like we don't really talk about the difference that clearly, and we expect the same things in the same eras or decades of life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I think the thing that we have to look at is that lifestyle impacts both men and women, but for women really, we've got to dial in a lifestyle for women that like, go to lifestyle first, before you go to the anti depart before you go to the hormone replacement, before you go to the weight loss drug. Ask yourself, have I dialed in my lifestyle? And what that means is there needs to be a rhythm of where I'm maybe working out a lot, and then I'm recovering, I'm maybe going low carb, and then I'm feasting on healthy foods. So we need to have a rhythmic lifestyle. And that's like new conversation that's just coming up in the last couple of years. Whereas men don't have to worry about that as much. You guys are a lot more resilient. You have one hormone to think about, which is testosterone. Have you operate off a twenty four hour cycle. We operate off a twenty eight day cycle, So we're just a lot more complicated. But that's why lifestyle is so important for women, and this is like, this is like my rally cry, like, oh my gosh, when we look at autoimmune problems, when we look at the menopause symptoms, like please, can we have a conversation about lifestyle as being the first line of treatment for women before we start medicating the shit out of us?
Speaker 2: No? I love the rady cry, and I think it's so important. I'm so glad that you're sharing it so passionately here because I couldn't agree with you more. I've heard so many women recently, when I've been at events or listening to panels or e'veneering, so many women talk about perimenopause menopause. And what I found so fascinating when I was listening was that I was obviously I was like, okay, I knew I had no clue, but a lot of the women in the audience were like, oh my gosh, we didn't know either what we were going through. And so I think there's such a need for it because there seems to be the misinformation, or to be honest, no information that's right, and so we're just turning towards pharmaceuticals, right.
Speaker 1: So on that conversation when I first started teaching this cycling of fasting and food. On my YouTube channel, nobody talked about menopause, and then I started to getting people pouring in and asking me like, well, how do I do this for perimenopause and menopause. At that time, I was like mid forties, and so I just shared, Hey, here's what I'm doing. I actually put it in a book. It's called The Menopause Reset. I was like, here are the lifestyle changes that I've made, and they've worked really well for me during perimenopause. Okay, fast forward to today. We've gone from a cultural hush around menopause where we're like, oh, she's a little irritable, let's not like poke the bear and get her all upset because she might be menopausal, but we don't want to say that to our face, to cultural chaos where women are like, finally, like the conversation of menopause is emerging, and that part is amazing. Like there's been a lot of authors, there's been a lot of influencers, there's a lot of people that are cracking that conversation open, which is so good. But what we have turned the conversation to now is you are are suffering in the perimenopausal experience, and so you need to think about hormone replacement therapy. I'm not opposed to that, but every woman who goes on hormone replacement therapy has a different path to it. And that's because alongside hormone replacement, whether it's HRT direct or bioidenticals, needs to be a lifestyle change. And the diet you had at thirty five doesn't work for you at forty five. And the stress load you were able to do or handle a thirty five, you're gonna need some breaks and some new tools at forty five. So there's a lifestyle that I'm just still trying to bring in. Like, Hello, the answers isn't in the patch. The answer is not in the pill. Those are good support systems, but let's make lifestyle the change that happens once you go into those perimenopausal years.
Speaker 2: What would you say the top three life stars that changed everything for you or what positive for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So in the menopauseresaid, I wrote five, I started fasting. That was a big one. I started varying my foods, which is what I teach and eat like a girl. I went low carb, high carb, I started feeding my microbes, so how do I support Because the microbes break down estrogen. So I wanted to be able to increase the diversity of my microbes so they could break down estrogen. The last estrogen I was getting. I did a massive detox. I detoxed my whole house. I started detoxing myself throughout my whole forties. Detox became my obsession. And then the last one is something called the rushing woman syndrome, which was actually coined by a woman doctor Libby Weaver, who showed biologically why women that are constantly in a state of stress end up having hormonal problems. So I started saying no to more things. I'm a competitive athlete. I was a competitive tennis player in my early twenties, and I started learning how to do more yoga. I started learning how to walk more. I started getting out of that mentality of I've got to push my body, and so I just started looking at how I could recover a little bit more. And those were the five I changed. And it was like gold.
Speaker 2: It's so refreshing to hear that they're all interconnected as well, with eat like a girl and fast like a girl, and it seems that it seems that what we need to do is simple, but it's so hard. Yeah, because of our wiring, because of society's expectations, because of our maybe our own pressure on ourselves. What gave you the permission to just say, you know what, I'm I'm going to unsubscribe from all of this and I'm going to find a way. What was that for you? Because I feel people are really looking for that breakthrough and you said, it's not motivation, it's momentum. But it's almost like, how do you give that stone or that rock a push down the hill so that he gains momentum.
Speaker 1: The best door in is fasting. This is why I started with fast like a girl Like that is the quicket. If you want a totally different experience with your body, learn how to create an eating window and a fasting window. And it's interesting because my practice was built by what I call the Mama Bears. They were like these women who would bring their families to me and who would come in to learn about detox and hormones and food education and lifestyle. My clinic was built was like a lifestyle clinic, teaching people how to live a lifestyle to build health, And it was the Mama Bears that I got to experiment on, you know, I put that in like, you know, a loving way. I got to take these principles that I was studying and using on myself and try it on them. And I remember what with weight loss. One of the things that blew me away is once I started teaching women how to fast, maybe two weeks would go by and I didn't see them, and they'd walk into my clinic and it looked like a fat coat had been taken off of them in two weeks. And I was like, oh my God, Like fasting got you that in two weeks. So I think this is why I'm a I'm like the evangelist for fasting.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone who should never fast or shouldn't?
Speaker 1: Great question? I always say, if you're pregnant or nursing, it's a no, that's not your tool. So and I write about that in both books. If you have an eating disorder, you need to be working with somebody who can work alongside you, because there's little tricks that you can do to to line yourself up for that. Certain cancers don't do well with fasting, and certain cancers do incredibly well with fasting. So going to a specialist that knows that outside of that, everybody else fast can fast. The one I just want to point out, the person I didn't didn't point out who couldn't fast is the diabetic. This is the one that shocks everybody is the type one and type two diabetic when done right and done with doctor supervision, actually does really well with fast Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, that is surprising, right, You wouln't expect that. No, there's a trend right now with women eating meat bowls in order to lose weight. What's your take on that.
Speaker 1: You that all they're eating, well.
Speaker 2: At least a big, a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, I mean they're just trying to dose up protein. So what I would say is, if you're going to dose up protein, make sure it's a clean protein.
Speaker 2: So what would you define as, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like hormone free, antibiotic, not pumped with antibiotics, not pumped with hormones. Grass fed if you're going beef, and you really want grass fed because it has higher omega three, so it needs to be a clean source of protein. I'm also a real fan for women, specifically of fiber because fiber feeds those microbes that break hormones down. So if you're only going meat, you're missing out on the vegetables we need more fiber. But from a metabolic standpoint, from blood sugar standpoint, meatballs if you didn't have a lot of fillers and stuff and them could be really good. Are they losing weight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, meat bowls. Sorry not my accent, Yeah, meat balls, yeah, my meat bowls.
Speaker 1: Okay, meat bowls bowls?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like b o W sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh my god? So what what kind of meat? Is it? A rite and meat in there?
Speaker 2: I believe, So.
Speaker 1: It's basically just that, just like our ground beef, essentially good, but it's like the main thing that they're eating, like lunch. Yeah, are they eating any fiber at all? Or they're just eating that? It's like very minimal like carb. Okay, okay, this is interesting, and let's dive into the mechanics on. So protein stabilizes your blood sugar. So if I'm only eating a meat bowl all day long, then what ends up happening is I'm really not those blood sugar spikes we talked about, I'm not getting very many of them. So that's good if you don't have a lot of blood sugar spikes, You're not asking your body to make a ton of insulin. So from a metabolic standpoint, that is really fascinating. From a gut microbiome standpoint, this is really controversial and I still stay by this to this day. Is the carnivore diet. The carnivore diet kind of had its moment and then people are like, this is crazy and it went away. Well, what we saw in my community and in my clinic and in the research that I dove into, is that when all you do is eat meat, you actually can stimulate a immune cell in your gut called your te regulatory cells, and your T regulatory cells make sure that your immune system isn't too and your immune system isn't too high. So in my clinic, I would do something called carnivore fasting, which would be like a therapeutic process for a patient who had an autoimmune condition. For like two to three weeks, they would just eat meat and they would fast about seventeen hours every day and the rest of the time all they did is eat meat. And what I was trying to do is calm the immune system down and help them drop weight because their spike they weren't spiking their glucose. It worked. It absolutely worked, but especially for things like cibo small intestinal bacteria overgrowth, like it was phenomenal, and so you got the benefit of fasting and you got the benefit of meat. It's just not something you sustain. I would do it two to three weeks to balance the immune system with my autoimmune patients, and then we would go back into fiber because we need that fiber to be able to break those hormones down. So it became a therapeutic tool.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Thank you so much. Yeah. I love what you do by actually explaining what is going on behind the scenes, because to me, that's the part which a makes it click and then it's not just to hack. Yeah, it's like, oh, I actually understand how my body's working and why it's doing what it's doing. Yeah, and therefore now when I'm having that feeling or that experience with that craving, I can actually talk myself through it. That's that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so here's the this is like like another big pet peeve and rally cry for me, is that you should learn how to do health from your health professionals, whether it's your doctor, your fitness trainer, your your favorite health influencer. But if we go into this place where we're like eat this, don't eat that, but we don't know why, we're never empowered. Doctor means to teach. So, you know, a rally cried all the doctors out there, are you teaching your patients or you just prescribing your patient? To your patients, you have to teach to them how the body works and why if prescription your path, why prescriptions work, why food works it? Because now you have an empowered human and big farm is not going to like us empowered, and big food doesn't like us empowered. But that's what we should create, is empowered humans. The only way we can do that is by teaching people how their body works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for people who talking about, you know, giving making people feel empowered. For people who don't have access to expensive technology and want to know their muscle fat percentage, body fat percentage, et cetera, Like, how how do they get that information in a way that's affordable and accessible because it seems that so much of that data and that insight you need to be empowered, yeah, is expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, all the wearables are really exciting, right, Now, the cgms and all that, the continuous glue postmonitors really exciting, but they are expensive. So in the book, I put a list of symptoms you would experience if you nailed your meal, if you got your meal right, if your lifestyle was working for you. This are some of the symptoms, and I'll share with you some of them. After you eat a meal, you should be energized. You shouldn't be sleepy. If you're sleepy, we got to go back and look at the makeup of that meal. After a meal, you should have better brain clarity. You should feel uplifted. It should it should be like something that puts you into a enhanced performance state. You also, it's not normal to be hungry every two to three hours, so those things become really important. The other piece is that you should be able to control your cravings. You should be able to be like, hey, I like I'll give use me as an example. I used to have a sugar addiction too, and I had a moment where when in the height of my sugar addiction, where if I looked at a piece of sugar, I couldn't control myself. Yeah yeah, And it was like, I know, I'm not supposed to eat that, but I'm going to eat it anyways. Once I started doing fasting and eating, doing fasting and eating windows like that, craving went away. So I now have a better relationship to food. I don't feel like I'm eating food because I can't control myself. So there are symptoms we can look at, and all the biome metric wearables, they're great. But I want to help the woman in the South, you know that's working two jobs. The story I tell a lot is that during the pandemic, I had a high school principal in South Carolina reach out to me. She was watching my YouTube channel, and she said, my high school teachers are about to come back to school and they're super scared about their immune system and COVID, and so can you give us some ideas on how we can keep our immune system high. Well, I come from a family of teachers, and I was like, oh, yeah, can I give back to the teachers and teach them? This is really exciting. So I pop on this call with about one hundred teachers at this high school and I go into all you should take this supplement, and you should eat this oil, and you should do all these things. And I get to the end of the presentation it was all done on zoom, and this really brave man raises his hand and he's like, I hear what you're saying. But if I'm at the supermarket and I'm looking at nut butters, the nut butter with the right oil in it is eight dollars more than the one with the wrong oil. I don't have that eight dollars. And then another woman raised her hand and said, I'm up at four in the morning, and I drive to get my classroom set up. At five, I don't take a lunch break, and by three point thirty four, I'm driving home exhausted, and the only place I want to go is through the drive through at fast food. Okay, we will never ever get our country healthy until we help those people because they're on a limited income and they are trying to be healthy, but everything in front of them is leading them towards chronic disease. This is why PEP fasting became my tool, because everybody can afford it, and everybody, even the busiest person, can do it, and people it works for the majority of people, and then they have that momentum. So that's what you know. The fast food lady. Okay, so let's eat your fast food in a compressed eating window. The nut butter guy, it was like, okay, well maybe nut butter isn't your go to. Like, let's figure out how you can look at maybe some getting some oils from food that you're getting, upping your Omega three and other oils, like we just found lateral changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you how do you train someone to not eat for a period of time? Because I think we've talked about foster, but actually it's really hard when someone has to do it. How do you how did someone train themselves to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you start by pushing your breakfast. That's what I typically do. You can push your dinner up if you want, but most people I start with breakfast. So I tell people push your breakfast back an hour. Most people will say, well, can I have my coffee? Yes, you can have your coffee, but not your creamer. Like if you're putting like some kind of sugar creamer in there, or you're putting oat milk or almond milk in there, those tend to spike your blood sugar a little bit too high. So cow's dairy, goat's dairy. Does a little bit better. So you just make sure black have your coffee black. Push your breakfast back an hour is going to be uncomfortable. That's the first thing. It's like, this is that moment you're gonna be like, why did I listen to Jay Shetty's podcast where that crazy lady came on and told me to push my breakfast back an hour? Now, all I want to do is yell and scream because I'm angry. I'm angry. But if they say if they stay with that the next day and then the next day, by the third or fourth day, that hour is going to feel like nothing. So when it starts to get easy, now you're going to push it back another hour. So now you're two hours back, and then maybe a couple you go a couple of days with that, and then you're going to push it back another hour. And everybody that I've done with this within two weeks, they are effortlessly fasting somewhere between thirteen to fifteen hours. You're just taking all that food and you're just compressing it into an eating window, but you're gently moving your body into that place. You're not. I've had people just out of nowhere going three day water fast, but that's a lot more suffering involved.
Speaker 2: Ye, you do it? Yeah? Is there anyone who should eat as soon as they wake up?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of theories on this, Like Sachin Panda, who is the premiere, you know, researcher on circadian rhythm. He came on my podcast and he likes that you wait an hour after you wake up if you're going to try to get into the proper circadian rhythm, meaning your melotonin and your cortisolar are being secreted at the right moment, So he would prefer that you would wait an hour. Doctor Stacy Simms, who is an expert and one of the leading experts in exercise and menopause, came on my podcast and she strongly feels you need some kind of nutrients coming in the minute you wake up, the first half hour you wake up to trigger the hypothalmis to start hormonal production. When I broke that down with her, she's also plant based. When I broke that down with her, she said, I put collagen powder in my coffee every morning and a splash of vegan yeah. Vegan, yeah, So she probably uses a vegan vegan one or maybe a marine one. I didn't ask her through the vegan lens if she did if she did fish, and then she does MCT oil, and then she does a plant based cream and she puts she does like a loaded coffee, and that some mornings, that's her how she triggers this hypothalmus. So I tell you all that to say that here we have two leading experts. One says way to half hour, the other one says, you need some nutrients in very quickly. I think everybody's got to be their own end of one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely it works for you. Yeah, It's hard to know. And I think that's why so much of this is also being able to listen to our bodies and our minds, because I think so much of our food habits are driven by our minds and not our bodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We mentally crave something, emotionally crave something, Yeah, whereas when you actually listen to your body kind of like what I was saying to you earlier that when I'm listening to my body, I'm like, this amount of protein just doesn't feel right. Yeah, And if I'm trying.
Speaker 1: On that, I just want to point out because again I'm always going to be the voice of women's empowerment. What I'm discovering in women is we are massively, massively disconnected from our bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we look at Instagram, we look at magazines, and we're like, I want to look a certain way, and I will manipulate my body to look that way. We are not clued into the rhythms and cycles of our body, and often.
Speaker 2: You could end up looking that way. But because the internal setup isn't right like we often think it's also, oh, I don't have self worth or self esteem, but it's completely chemical, that's right, right, Like it's just a hormonal imbalance. It's not even it's not this mental idea that oh I don't believe in myself or I love myself. It's like, well, of course, if I've been shifting my body and die and everything to look this certain way, it could be that my hormones and nutrients and everything are so imbalanced that I can't sustain a healthy mood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Something I've deeply thought about is that when we look at the woman who's size two, or the woman who's a size for or is I zero, Like, we look at that we say, that's what I'm supposed to look like. Because the magazine's instagram, everybody says I should look like that. But actually, if you look at what estrogen and does to the female body, is it makes us it's what I call a little more padded. It gives us a little more of a cushion of fat on us, And that might be what's normal for us. We just have this skewed view based off of what we're seeing on social media that we're supposed to look that way. But if if you ever stopped for the women listening and asked yourself, is that the healthy way? I mean, one of the things that came out of Fast Like a Girl that really disturbed me and motivated me to write Eat like a Girl was how many twenty year olds and thirty year olds don't have a menstrual cycle and they don't have a menstrual cycle because they've been manipulating their diet. Their diets too low calorie, their weight is too low because they're trying to look a certain way that the culture says this is beautiful and when you're beautiful, you're worthy. But actually, is it possible that the female body is meant to have more fat on it and trying to be the skinniest version of you is actually making you sick and destroying your hormones. And I think it would be really interesting if we had better conversations around that.
Speaker 2: So what do they do in that scenario when they've ended up creating that situation with themselves.
Speaker 1: Well, the first thing is we're back at the calories. Is let's make sure you're eating enough calories. For the thyroid, you have to have twelve hundred calories a day consistently. So if you're eating nine hundred, eight hundred calories a day, you're causing thyroid challenges. And that could be a hyperactive thyroid. That could be I mean, so you could end up with a faster metabolism which would eventually lead to a hypothyroid situation. So let's get the calorie in that person who's in deprivation. That would be the one spot I would say, let's make sure we're above twelve hundred, So that would be the first thing. The second thing is I think it's really interesting, I don't even for you and men in general, is like when we eat and we're hungry, do we ask ourselves like am I hungry or am I bored? Am I hungry or am I sad am I hungry? Or do I need energy? Like make sure we're seeing that the food and the emotional response, like we're pulling those apart. So I think, I think that's a really important one, because people eat and don't eat for a lot of different reasons. And then that leads to the last thing with this person who might be a little bit thin is I think for a lot of women, it's control, Like if I can control my body a certain way, then you know my life will be in control. And as you know, controls an illusion, and maybe there's something else you can control. This is why I like the continuous glucose monitor. Control your blood sugar and then you'll that'll lead you down the path of health. Control your symptoms after you eat, control the amount of sleep you get, Like there's other things to control. But if you're trying to control your weight, you're raising cortisol and you're leading yourself into this dysfunctional relationship with your body.
Speaker 2: So well said, how do you manage fasting and working out? Like how do you fit in and when should you be fasting and working out? Do they happen at the same time or do they need to be stacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, I'm going to go back to what's your intention? Do you remember the book Body for Life?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, that book came out when I was again when I was in college, no ap, so it must have come in like the late nineties, early two thousands. And this it was a fitness trainer and he offered up a million dollars to the person who could lose the quickest weight, the most weight in the quickest period of time. And he had a whole formula, and the number one formula that he said is you never work out after you've eaten, because his whole theory was when you eat, you've brought gluecose up, and then you go to work out, the body uses that glucose, whereas if you work out when the glucose is not spiked, your body has to go find the glucose it stored years ago in fat, so it's actually going to burn fat more quickly. This was how we worked out for years. I think it's I taught people, my women and men, both in my clinic all the time this strategy. It is an incredible way to lose weight. Here's the challenge is that it can break down muscle and muscle right now is like we said, is it in vogue? It's the thing we're talking about. So when we are looking at do you fast and exercise in a fasted state, I think you have to ask yourself what your objective is. If you're trying to lose weight. Yeah, I think it's a great idea, especially on the days not you're weightlifting days, but the days you're doing cardio yeah, and yoga and yoga and we don't eat year two hours before yoga session. Those are great times to go in in a fasted state. But when you're trying to build muscle on the days your strength training, let's have a little protein before and let's have some protein afterwards. So just different days, different workouts, different things you're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Great, doctor, Mindy Pels, has been such a joy talking to you today. You've given so much valuable insight. This is one of those episodes that I feel I'm going to recommend to all my friends. Thank you. I'm going to be encouraging a lot of people to listen to it together, and I think everyone who's been listening and watching, I hope you pass it on to a friend. I hope you listen to it with a friend because I just think it's at the heart of so many of our issues today is how we eat, how we think about our bodies, how connected we are to our bodies. And I just love how structured, thoughtful, and methodical all your advice is so Thank you so much for writing this incredible book and bringing so much value to our community. We end every On Purpose episode with a final five or a fast five and no pun included, and we'd love you to answer each of these questions in one word to one sentence maximum okay, okay, so doctor MINDI peals. These are your fast five. The first question is what is the best health advice you've ever heard or received or given?
Speaker 1: Don't eat in the dark. I love that one. Only eat in the light. It balances almost every hormone.
Speaker 2: I love that second question, what is the worst health advice you've ever heard or received or given?
Speaker 1: Low fat, low calorie foods are going to help you lose weight.
Speaker 2: Wait, let's dive into that tiny bit. I think we covered it, but I just want to make sure for anyone who's choosing low fat, low calorie food thinking they're going to lose weight. What are they getting wrong?
Speaker 1: Let's use a diet drink. It has aspertain limit. Aspertain is an obesogen and it stimulates appetite. So you're you chose the low sugar, you know, I don't want to use brand names, but the diet soda. You chose that thinking it's going to save help you lose weight. But actually what it did is it's an obesogen that is making you gain weight and spiking your appetite.
Speaker 2: Got its crazy crazy, It's absolutely crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like like, this is why, like conversations like this ney to be had because there's people out there thinking they're doing it all.
Speaker 2: Wrong, totally totally, and you're doing all of that and you're going why and you're looking in the mirror and you're so mad at yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, then you turn on yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile big food is doing it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why are we not being projected? Like why is it? Why are we allowed to put obesigens into our body? And yeah, why are we allowed to put all these toxins plastics into our body?
Speaker 1: I think it's a really good question, and it starts with the FDA, the Food and Drug Administrative administration. And I have some quotes in there in the like a girl that are really and for starters, why do we have food and drugs in the same administration. We should have a food administration and we should have a drug And then within the FDA, there's a category of food called gross generally recognized as safe. And what that means is that if they're going to put a new food product, a synthetic food product, into the food system, they're going to assume it's innocent until proven guilty. It takes a lot of money to prove that these ingredients are harmful and carcinogenic. One of the ones that I loved to point out is partially hydrogenated oils. About twenty years ago, they identified that partially hydrogenated oils fell into this gross category, that it was generally recognized it's safe, but they hadn't really seen research telling them it wasn't safe. And then the research showed up and the research said that these partially hydrogenated oils were actually contributed, you know, a major contributor to heart disease and should be taken out of our food system. So what the FDA did is they say, okay, food industry or food companies. You have twenty years. It was like twenty to twenty five years to get this carcinogenic heart challenged food out of our food system. And it was by twenty twenty five, which is next year that will be out of our system. But why did they give them twenty years? How many people died in those twenty years that when they've discovered that this food was causing cardiovascular problems. That kind of bullshit goes on in the FDA all the time. They care about profits, they do not care about our health.
Speaker 2: End a story so worrying and so sad, and that's why we have to do it from the bottom up.
Speaker 1: That's why you have to be you know, responsible, I always say, and I really want people to take this to their heart where you sit with your health. If it's not what you like today and you're hearing this podcast and you're like, WHOA nobody told me all this? Yes, your poor health, your trouble losing weight, is not your fault. But now that you've heard this, it is your responsibility. Your health is your responsibility. And in this day and age, if you're doing nothing, you're not reading ingredient labels you're not waking up to conversations like this. You are choosing chronic disease. I promise you you are. The statistics are showing that if you're just eating with a blind eye, you are choosing chronic disease because the FDA cares more about making profits than your well being.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing this. Yeah. Question number three, how would you define your current purpose?
Speaker 1: It's been the purpose I've had for a while, and it's to reconnect women to their bodies and fall in love with their bodies again. I'll share a story on that one. I was running around my neighborhood a few years ago and this little old lady, like seventy year old lady with this cute little hat and a little and she was walking her dog and she had a cane. I kept running past her, and on the third time I ran past her, she waved me down and she said to me, I bet, it's amazing to live in your body. And it was like to have a seventy year old woman reflect that back to me made me realize that there's only one goal with a health specifically for both men and women, but especially for women. Is I want women to love living in their bodies. I want women to have a really positive relationship with food. I want women to feel empowered when they go into their doctor's office so that they're not gas lit and told that they know their BMI is so high they better go get on some low calorie foods. Like I want women to understand what the begift they're living in and love it. That's my purpose.
Speaker 2: I love that question before you say in the book, when women heal, the world heals.
Speaker 1: Why thank you for putting that out. We are the nurturers, We're the community builders. We are the leaders of our family and their health. I mean, it's very even though we have a lot of men staying at home now, women in general are the ones that make the health decisions. And we are also the overgivers. When you take amazing care of us, we can turn around and take amazing care of you. So when women heal, then all of a sudden, the family heals. And when the family heals, now the community heals. And when the community heals, then the state heals. And it just keeps going out. But if that woman is sick, now it's a house of cards. And actually, Mary Anne Williamson's a dear friend of mine and she sent me a message and with that quote, and she said, this is what you're doing. And I was so grateful for that, and that's why I put it in the book. It's like, we need to heal women. Now. We're half of the planet and we are sick, and we are struggling, and we are reaching out and we need to heal women so that we can turn around and heal everyone else.
Speaker 2: Absolutely couldn't agree more. Fifth and final question. If you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be.
Speaker 1: Oh, eat real food. We eat real food, nature's food, food without chemicals. That would solve everything, without packaging, without packaging. If everybody was forced to eat a potato versus a potato chip, things like that would be so much better. But eat real food. End the story.
Speaker 2: I love it. The book is called Eat Like a Girl by Dr Mindi Peals. If you don't follow Doctor Mindy already, please subscribe to our podcast, follow her across social media, and of course, grab a copy of Eat Like a Girl. I could not commend this book more, I promise you. There are so many great insights, tactics, tips inside of the book. And I really really hope that you take charge and accountability of your own health after listening to this. Please send this episode to a friend. I know there's someone in your life who benefit massively from listening to Dr Mindi Pels's advice and Dr Mindy thank you again, honestly for coming on the show. I hope you'll become a friend of the show and come back soon. I would love you because I just feel there's so much value that you're giving to the world, and I'm grateful to have you be a part of our platform. So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and thank you. I mean I should have probably started off and tell you like I listened to your podcast for years, and I love the way you show up and the guests you bring and the authentic voice you give us all an opportunity to live in that authenticity and it's just really enjoyable.
Speaker 2: So thank you, thank you, thank you so much. If this year you're trying to live longer, live happier, live healthier, go and check out my comment with the world's biggest longevity doctor, Peter Attia on how to slow down aging and why your emotional health is directly impacting your physical health.
Speaker 1: Acknowledge that there is surprisingly little known about the relationship between nutrition and health, and people are going to be shocked to hear that, because I think most people think the exact opposite.