Speaker 1: The volume football seasons. Here only one place I go for tickets, and it's game Time. You know that. Game Time has a new feature called game Time Picks makes getting tickets for your favorite live events even easier. Game Time Picks filters out the fluff to show you only incredible deals on great seats, so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets. Just click on the event you want to attend, and game Time shows you the super deal and I get the best bang for my buck. Easy take the guest work out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app very quick ninety seconds, Create an account and use the code colin for twenty bucks off your first purchase. Terms apply again, create the account. The redeem code is cli n for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today. What time is it? Game Time in Atlanta? Twenty two to one. So in the offseason I picked Atlanta to win their division. I thought they could went eleven twelve games. I think they're a really good football team. I think in Week one Atlanta was at a coaching disadvantage because Arthur Smith, their former coach, was now a Steelers offensive coordinator. That's a huge advantage. I mean, that's a really weak one advantage that you're just not going to get some insight on personnel. And Pittsburgh's got a very very good defense, and they gave kirk Cousins a lot of trouble. I thought he had a little more spring in his step now. In Week one against Pittsburgh, he was static. He just stayed in the pocket. But I thought tonight he moved a little better. He told Troy Aikman, he's one hundred percent in the pocket. He's not one hundred percent yet. But I think two things are very clear about these two teams. Those were two good offensive lines and two good run games. And Jalen Hurts obviously part of Philadelphia's run game. But Kirk Cousins fifteen to twenty, three hundred and seventy yards, a touchdown, no picks, and a great final drive, just pick pick picked, nice passes. And by the way, when they paid for Kirk Cousins and they drafted Michael Pennix, I said, you're telling me that's a mistake. Look at all the rookie quarterbacks right now. They're brutal. You know who isn't Michael Pennix sitting behind like Mahomes who sat behind Alex Smith. Michael Pennix is sitting behind Kirk Cousins and learning the game of football, just like a Tom Brady did with the Drew Bledsoe. He's just sitting on the sidelines and watching. That's what Mahomes did, you know, It's what Carson Palmer, I believe, did this idea. Lamar Jackson sat for like ten games behind Joe Flacco. So this idea that bringing in Kirk Cousins to mentor and I said, I think they can win the division. I love their personnel at Their offensive line's great. They have multiple running backs. John Robinson was under used last year. He's fantastic, but you just and the Eagles have a good defensive front. They pushed him back. Both those offensive lions had their way tonight. So I think Atlanta's a real team. I Philadelphia, you know, I know they feel terrible about this loss, but Philadelphia lost. I mean, what are upsets? San Francisco just got housed by the Vikings. I mean Baltimore's oh and two. The Rams season looks like it's over. You know, New England beat Cincinnati. Cincinnati should have beaten Kansas City, So I think you looked at two teams that will probably or at least could. The Saints look pretty good, could win their division. So you know my take on Philadelphia, and sometimes you just lose games. And I mean, hell Atlanta with that Drake London, you know, taunting penalty late. Thank God they have one of the best kickers in the league, or they could have missed that extra point. So you know it's it's I don't I don't think Philadelphia is a bad football team. I think I think Atlanta and Philadelphia could win their divisions. And I think what this proves though, at least early as you're watching all these young quarterbacks, they're completely over their skis bailing water and Michael is just sitting back learning how to play football. You're not winning that game with Michael Pennox tonight. You're just not. And I thought Cousins, who by the way, is four and one in his last five Monday Night football games, Big stage, Kirk Cousins, after he started terribly, you know, there used to be these discussions. He didn't like playing like off schedule games. He had a very rigid schedule. He preferred the one o'clocks, especially at home. I thought he looked really good tonight. And again he's not moving much. But Aaron Rodgers doesn't move anymore. Jared GoF doesn't move around much. You can win a lot of football games that way, especially with that old line and that run game. Falcons have three running backs. I like two, I really like. You know, I thought Jalen Hurts buy and large played pretty well. I mean, he had that last pick because he had pressure in his face. But you know, Philadelphia, you know these offenses. I got this text tonight. I want to read you this. So there's a lot of discussion about why are the offense is so bad? Okay, why are the offenses so bad? So Fewest points through two weeks since twenty seventeen, averaging forty two points a game combined, fewest touchdown passes through two weeks since two thousand and six, eighteen years. And I think a lot of this is the reluctance to play any starters. Now that you've watched Bonex and Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels, couldn't you argue they should have played virtually every snap of the preseason, every snap, you know, I mean, Atlanta played Michael Pennox I think one preseason game and said we're done now. He didn't have to start. But nobody's playing starters, and you've gone from four preseason to three preseason games. You're going to go down to two once they had an eighteenth game. And so I think you just have to look at weeks one and two is there's a lot of experimenting going on. There's some bad offensive play, and the hardest unit of any football team to build cohesion is arguably the most important unit of any ball team, the offensive line. So like, I think the Jets' offensive line's done fine so far, but if there's any growth for the Jets that their defense falls apart. Is you know, these older offensive linemen will play together and their online hasn't been atrocious, but it will certainly get better over time. So I think it's kind of explainable starters aren't playing snaps on linemen aren't playing snaps, especially if they're long in the tooth, and the quarterbacks are paying the price they're on their back. They're getting hammered. Also, I think because the owners are richer than ever, they're willing to fire coaches after one year. Coordinators move off quarterbacks early. I also think part of the offensive struggle is it's hard to keep cohesion in your coaching staff. Owners now will just it's a rounding air to write a fifty million dollar check and fire coordinators and coaches and staff. They don't care anymore. Used to be owners, mate, you know their net worth with six hundred million dollars. Yeah, you know, you don't want to write a sixty million dollar check. But when you're net worth is you know, nine billion dollars, you'll write that check. The win games because now teams, you know, they're all getting three and four one hundred and fifty million dollar checks annually from the TV deal from the NFL, especially since gambling was legalized in the gambling dollars, So these owners that were getting massive checks, they're less patient. It puts pressure top down in the organizations. You're moving through coordinators, quarterbacks and coaches. You're playing quarterbacks earlier. So I think there's a lot of things that explain it. But another one is nobody's playing starters in the preseason in the first two weeks. You can tell good for at Lanta tonight, I took notes the entire game on this and then it came down to the final two drives. Pretty boring first quarter, but after that, I thought Jalen Hurts really got hot in the second half. I thought he looked good. And you know, it just goes to show sometimes that these moves there's repercussions. Obviously for some of these personnel moves. You know, the Giants move off Saquon Barkley, So Saquon's obviously, you know, is in not get for Philadelphia. Now, he dropped that ball at the end of the game that would have been a touchdown out in the flat. That was a pretty good pass and he dropped it. That wasn't one of his shining moments, but he's obviously been a huge addition for Philadelphia. He's gonna win them some football games. Simultaneously, the Giants are now zering too, and there's talk about Brian Dable getting fired, who I think would get a job, you know, within the year. But you know, you start you start looking around when you give up a player like Saquon Barkley to a division rival. If he'd caught that ball tonight in a touchdown, I mean, if you're a if you're a Giant Staffer, New York Giant Stafford. Thank god Saquon Barkley dropped that tonight. He would have had the game winning touchdown, so he had he had. It's clearly a dimension to Philadelphia. So I thought it was a good a good football game. Two good offensive lines, a lot of good running backs are real resurgent and running backs over the weekends. JK. Dobbins, Alvin Kamara. I mean there's, you know, everything cyclical in sports and in the NFL. I mean six months ago, nine months ago, we were talking about running backs don't get paid. Eventually, with all these young quarterbacks playing right, you probably going forward are going to need a stronger run game. I mean, obviously, you know with JK. Dobbins and hardbass style, he's going to run him extensively. But Atlanta looks like a team with Kirk Cousins limitations run team. I think the Lions are not running it enough with Montgomery and Gibbs. I mean, there are some teams in this league that I think are going to run over fifty percent of the time, or at least should, and Atlanta's one of them. So nice win for the Falcons. How about that division? The NFC South, Atlanta's a real team, Saints look like a completely different franchise, Baker and Tampa Bay Carolina is trash, but the NFC South, I don't know, looks pretty good. And everybody's beating Carolina twice. So those are two w's right there. Speaking of the NFC, the last four undefeated teams in the NFC, the Vikings, the Seahawks, the Bucks, and the Saints. Just like everybody predicted that this league is so great by the way, Saints veteran quarterback, Bucks veteran quarterback, Seahawks veteran quarterback, Vikings veteran quarterback. That goes back to what we talked about the preseason. These teams in the NFC that are starting strong, we don't know how they'll finish. There may be ceilings for Sam Darnold and Derek Carr and Baker Mayfield and Gino Smith, but it is an advantage having you know, one thousand reps in this league. In the first two to three weeks of the NFL season, that's very clear that a lot of these veteran guys who have bounced around the league are off to really nice starts. They feel like they, you know, they might not be masters of the position, but they're miles ahead of these rookie quarterbacks and younger quarterbacks that just don't have the time in the league. All Right, a couple of college football games, I like Tennessee minus seven to win and cover at number fifteen Oklahoma. Tennessee might be the best college football team in the country. I'm counting Georgia, Texas. Josh Haipel returned to Oklahoma. He led Oklahoma to their last national championship twenty four years ago. He's spent eleven years at Oklahoma as an assistant coach. It's the SEC opener for both teams. Tennessee first in the nation in points. It's their defense, though. Tennessee's defense has gone four straight games without allowing a touchdown, and I don't think Oklahoma's offense has the fire power even at home to put up drive after drive because Tennessee's going to score. The Sooners under Brett Venables are one and two against top fifteen teams. Now they're living. They're feasting on takeaways. They're tied for the most in the country. Oklahoma is with ten unless they get turnal against the pretty slick Tennessee offense. I don't think they can keep up Sooners quarterback Jackson Arnold has not been impressive against Houston or Tulane. I think Tennessee is probably the most underrated team in the country. I think Oklahoma's fine, They're gonna find out they can't move the football against this Tennessee defense. You can if you're an elite at quarterback. Oklahoma is not. I think Tennessee wins by two touchdowns. I like USC to beat Michigan. The spreads five and a half. I think USC wins by about six to seven. First Big Ten game of the season for both Now, Michigan has struggled. When they played a really good team, they got rolled. They have a new quarterback, Alex Orgy. What do we know? Not much, but they're not running the football. They lost so many playmakers and offensive line studs from a year ago. The only way they can win is low scoring. And USC has a top twenty five rush defense. But what's really really good about USC right now that surprised people. Miller Moss is significantly more accurate and efficient than Kayleb Williams, top ten quarterback according to PFF, seventy three percent completion percentage. USC is stacked at wide receiver, four different sophomores that contribute. I think USC and this will be a low scoring football game. I think you have two of the top ten defenses in the country. Michigan at home can only win a low scoring game, and they know it. The Wolverines do have maybe the two best defensive linemen in college football. So USC is going to struggle to run and you're asking Miller Moss, a first year starter on the road, to go to the air against a pretty good pass rush by the Wolverines. So if USC, because I don't think they'll run the ball much, can protect Miller Moss, USC is going to win this game. I just don't Deanton Lynn has done a great job as the new defensive coordinator for the Trojans. They are tackling at a high level, their alignment is great. You get no freebies against USC's defense. LSU didn't and Utah State couldn't score. And I just don't think the Wolverines have the offensive firepower to light up any good defense. I don't know. If USC's defense is great, it's good, it's very good. I think USC wins a low scoring game. You know, twenty four to seventeen, twenty seven, twenty. This feels like an established coach, a highly efficient quarterback, and a much improved defense beat a Michigan team in transition from Jim Harbaugh and those thirteen drafted NFL Wolverines TD Tuddy taking it to the house in for six whatever you call it, touchdown, One thing's for sure. Tds matter more at DraftKings sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NFL. On the ground, in the air, special teams or defense. They don't care how you score them. They want to bet on touchdowns. You want to bet on t touchdowns. Draft Kings Sportsbook Number one place to bet on TVs. Ready to place your first NFL bet bet and something simple like a player scoring a touchdown? Go to DraftKings Sportsbook app. Make your bet today, Ready to do a touchdown? Dance your own New DraftKings customers bet five bucks and get two hundred and fifty in bonus bets instantly and one month of NFL Plus Premium. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. The Coach colin again. New customers bet five bucks and get two fifty in bonus bets and one month of NFL Plus premium only on draft kings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill, casino and resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in New Hampshire, Oregon. In Ontario, bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNNG dot co slash ft ball. NFL Plus premium offer available only to new and former NFL Plus subscribers. Additional NFL Plus premium terms at NFL dot com slash terms.
Speaker 1: John Middelkoff Our Week two reaction, Let's start Kansas City, Cincinnati. You know it's funny. I've argued this forever that Bill Parcells used to ride Phil Simms, Phil throw it down the field. Okay, I'm not interested in you know one interception. No picks. You know today Mahomes has two ugly picks, almost had three, Burrow has none, and Kansas City wins. And by the way, in this opener against Baltimore was one of the ugliest picks not named will Levis Mahomes against Baltimore. And it's funny about Kansas City is that, you know, we we think of Kansas City as so efficient, but they make a lot of mistakes. John, they are vulnerable. They give you opportunities, but they're always usually good starting a game and finishing in the middle of it. It can get but once again late like against Baltimore, they finished Cincinnati off. I felt terrible for Cincinnati in a way because at one point in this game, they put up a graphic that the last six matchup between these two teams Bengals Chiefs, they'd each scored one hundred and fifty points. Like great is so even? But I guess my takeaway is Cincinnati can go toe to toe with Kansas City forever. But Kansas City has this ability to start and end quickly. And they're a flawed team right like they're they're I mean, when I watch them, I think God, they give you opportunities, don't they.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, big picture, I don't know how Kansas City, after winning back to back Super Bowls can take these type games week in and week out without eventually run out of juice. I mean that felt like a playoff game, didn't it. The intensity, the physicality that that was I had because the Arizona LA game ended so fast. I mean I think it was over five minutes into the game. The Steelers versus the Broncos on one TV and the Chiefs, it was like two different sports in those two games. I do think for whatever reason, that graphic kind of illustrated it. Cincinnati plays this team better than anyone. I mean, they've beat him in the playoffs. They went toe to toe with him a couple of years ago. Easily could have beat him again in the playoffs. Probably, you know they're gonna be kicking themselves. Should have won this game. I hate to see the game decided on a late penalty, but it is what it is. I just think at the end of the day, the Chiefs culture completely flipped when they traded Tyreek Hill, and they have this physical kind of I mean they're a defensive team. I mean, Spactola is just brilliant. They are going through some growing pains starting a rookie left tackle. I mean, because so many teams now you just watch around the NFL. Even the bad teams have pass rushers and they move him around. They're gonna put him over that kid every single week. And Mahomes, luckily, he's a great scrambler. You know, Kelsey looks his age, he's no longer and he's kind of saving himself for the end of the season. And they did that again last year. But god, he's he's no longer. I would say the week in, week out dominant player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I wrote down four plays three plays in this game because I started. Really it was a close game, so I'm like, I'm gonna write down the big plays. In the fourth quarter. Mahomes de Kelsey, huge gainer, third and six, trailing twenty five, twenty three, Kansas City gets that spags blitz sack, late flag on Cincinnati. The three big plays to me, all went in Kansas City's favor. They remind me a little bit like an old KG boxer, like Sugar Ray Leonard out of his prime. They win the end of the round like you get shots at him. You may knock them down. It's not always aesthetically pleasing, but they kind of figure out how to manipulate the judges, manipulate the game. You see this in the NBA with old teams that they just have a way of figuring out how to play the game late. There there's an art to football at the end of a game and using your timeouts and field position that the Chiefs do not give you a ten on out of ten ten performance. Boy, but in the big moments, John, that's where Kelsey's last year in the playoffs, he was huge in the red zone, huge on third or fourth down. And I think that's what they are. They they they as they go through growing pains, they're still the great closing team in this sport. Let's talk Niners. You know him well. My favorite bet of the week was Minnesota at home getting points. I think Kevin O'Connell is I said this last week. He's Kevin Stefanski. Before everybody realized how good Stefanski was dealing with all that Cleveland nonsense, and he just continues to put out good game plans. Again, they didn't ask a ton of Darnold seventeen to twenty six two hundred and seventy yards. He had five rushes. You know, Fred Warner made a great play because he's Fred Warner on an interception like that's not a great interception, but again it Fred, You know, that wouldn't have been picked off by ninety five percent of the linebackers in the league. Might be the only guy, but yeah, I mean it was a great play. But what I looked at was the time of possession thirty five minutes to twenty five. Minnesota controlled the football. I mean it could have been now if you take away the fumble by Minnesota and the great Fred Warner picked John, this could have been a blowout. It could have been a blood bath Nighters.
Speaker 3: He got worked, they got killed. K that was and he has one or two of these a year. I mean, it was a bad rough day for Kyle special teams. They had a punt block Yep Flores was taking him to the woodshed, getting free guys all over Purty Perty had a bad pick, could have probably thrown another one. Defensively, they had some heirors. But the story of the game and one of the stories of the early year, sam Donold, I mean that throw he made the touchdown, Oh Jesus to Justin Jefferson. I mean, is seventy yards in the air. I mean you see the arm strength, but the accuracy, and you think back to the Fred Warner play. I think those are the plays early on in his career where he just kind of melts yes. And to me, whatever happened last year with Kyle and they talked about it with Purdy, the maturation of just learning how to study. He just kind of feels like a different guy. And I think we have an example with Baker Mayfield. Some people mature at slower rates, whether it be football wise or personally and physically. His talent obviously, the touchdown to Jefferson is going to be all over social media. He made some other throws on third down that were just like, I mean, he was slicing to that he was the better quarterback on the field today. He was awesome. And then there was another play is his second touchdown while it was wide open. Those are plays maybe early in his career, maybe he airmails, maybe he freaks out, like he just feels very very under control. And I didn't think the Vikings were going to be very good, even though I thought it would probably go pretty well for him. You start two to zero, all of a sudden, there's a path for you to get to nine to ten wins. I mean, this is and that home field advantage, right, you'd have to say that Minnesota has one of the better ones in the league. And that's like you said, that wasn't just a win. You're playing the Niners, who's coming off a short week. That wasn't ass kicking.
Speaker 1: Ass kicking. I want to talk about Chargers Panthers. First of all, Bryce Young has an offensive coach and better weapons. He may not be able to play one for twelve on third down sixty nine passing yards. He moves well, he doesn't throw well. But here's what was a big moment in this game. So the Chargers were favored by about six. They blew him out. So once again, it is exactly what we expected. Justin Herbert goes fourteen to twenty, has about a half dozen rushes, so you know they get Joe Alt now they have the elite tackle play, elite edge rusher play, and we worried about they don't have a number one. Well, Quinton Johnson today had five catches and two touchdowns. So Quentin's the guy they got out of TCU. Brandon Staley didn't know how to develop him. He was a disaster last year. I'm not sure if.
Speaker 3: He lost his confidence. They had thrown him to the side.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was just I didn't even target him last year. He made any heck of a catch day for a touchdown if he hits. So now you got the slot kit out of Georgia. JK. Dobbins is like a You see that flip into the end zone like he's a different.
Speaker 3: It looks like a top five or six running back in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So now I've got a top ten quarterback. I've got a top five coach, JK. Dobbin I have a run game, elite tackles, elite edge rushers. If Quinton Johnson along with their slot guy out of Georgia, okay, now you do have a weapon because he was a big kid. But he reminded me last year a little bit of Stephen Hill the bus for the Jets years ago. The wide receiver, the guy that just could run fast, look great in the hotel lobby. But you're like, what is it not today? I thought it's amazing john Their time of possession advantage was thirty six to twenty three. It's so hardball, it's so Michigan. But I thought to myself, you know what, I'm looking around at these teams. This team could be a twelve win team. John elite tackles, elite quarterback, elite coach, elite edge rushers now a star back, time of possession dominance. Now we know the Raiders are better than we thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was kicking myself because that game was over fast that I get Jim Harbaugh against this panther situation and didn't bet the mortgage, Like what was I doing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: You know Jim, and we've been talking about this. I was in the car this week when he when he came on with you. His personality is dramatically different than the guy I remember when I was around in San Francisco who had this huge chip on his shoulder and was tight. It felt like the way the last couple of years in Michigan, proving like, hey guys, I'm one of the best in the business. I don't know if it's been the weight's been lifted off his shoulders, but I know this, and I think Jim might have said this to you or I heard him say this somewhere, is that his dad was at a training camp practice and looked at him and said, I think JK looks like the guy a couple of years ago before he got injured. If you give Jim Harbaugh a top end running back, because we know he's always gonna have a good offensive lines, why he you know, everyone thought he was nuts, like he's gonna take a wide receiver, Like, no, guys, he's gonna take a offensive lineman. And then he calls them skill positions. Their defense is always going to be solid. Why one, he's just an elite hier like he hires well so like and John does too. They hire good defensive coaches, so their defense is gonna be well coached, even if they're gonna be better personnel wise in a couple of years. But like what he does translates, he controls the line of scrimmage on offense, which even if you have a way better offense than him, he keeps you off the field, and that wasn't the case today. But he can just run it down your throat. So if he can run it down your throat, Jim Harbaugh is a lock to win double digit games in college or the Pros, and clearly the Broncos are not going to be very good. I still think the raid one advantage the Raiders had. The Ravens offensive line is not good and the Raiders do have a good defensive line. They were down ten in the fourth quarter and came storm but it was an impressive win on the road.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: But to me, the Ravens I got I got red flagged. I mean, they got some weird stuff going on. But I think Jim Harbaugh can finish second in this division with ten or eleven wins and be in the playoffs. No, I don't think he can beat the Chiefs. Their team is not good enough maybe in an individual game.
Speaker 1: Like but they are built to beat Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Well, they're built to plan an ugly you know, twenty three twenty game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Their time of possessions so far this season are really impressive. And it's just it's it's it's funny because just think about this. Six months ago, before the national before the college football playoffs, seventy percent of fans and media were still doubting Jim Harball. He was getting crushed. He couldn't coach. In the Penn State game, he's overrated, and now you look at him and you're like like, stop, stop, media, stop. This guy is absolutely phenomenal. This team almost reminds me.
Speaker 3: Well, he's not very but he's not even hateable anymore. The way he carries himself, the way he interacts. He's actually much more lovable now because he used to have like this aggressive he was tough on the press, definitely publicly. He could befriend him off, this version of Jim Harbaugh, and I didn't fall him this closely like in Michigan part of it. He was suspended a couple times last year just in terms of his daily press conferences. He's a new man. I mean he's I bet the Spanishes are like God, this is incredible, the way he interacts, how happy he is, I mean, he's just he feels like a different person, maybe sixty now. Life's good. I don't know southern California. He feels completely different, yeah, than the guy at Stanford at the forty nine ers. And I would say early on at Michigan, just his mannerisms, his communication, just his just everyday demeanor.
Speaker 1: I want to talk Rams Arizona. Listen to Rams. Don't know any players I mean, they're just they're just Cooper Cup was limped to day, Pooka is already out. Tyler Higgsby's out. Let's talk Marvin Harrison and Kyler So, Marvin Harrison, the best college receiver I ever saw was Randy Moss. The second was Calvin Johnson. I think Marvin reminds me a little of Calvin Johnson. Size, length, hatching, radius, hands. He didn't run like Moss, either did Calvin, but you're not going to catch him from behind. But now you know, the first week Steve Kim told me he watched the film on the tape and he said Marvin was nervous. He was playing slow. He's not really a burner. But in a league you saw it today with the Rams, in a league that has a lack of corners, and you know, with Kyler's ability to run, you have to have a spy. He's going to get some one on one man and they run the football well. So it's like you start looking at Arizona and you're like, you know, we watched Buffalo handle Miami. Buffalo is probably pretty good team. They took a big lead on them. Harrison is I mean, all of a sudden, they have two backs. Kyler had his best game maybe as a pro. Marvin Harrison and I will argue this. I think their coach is good on his side of the ball. I think they play their ass off defensively. What do you make of Arizona and Tyler.
Speaker 3: I don't know where Kyler ranks, you know, one through twelve or whatever. He's probably closer ten through twelve than he is three or four. But when he's on, there can't there's a short list of players that you would rather watch. Wow, he is as entertaining as they get. Like what Deshaun Watson had has become like no one wants to watch him. Kyler's the opposite. It was like, this is awesome. He's always gonna have some limitations in the pocket just because of height, but just a pure talent. You know, you've been watching sports longer than me. He has to be one of the great true blue chip just talents in the history of sports. To have that much capability to do the things he can do at five foot nine. I mean his speed, his arm, strength, his accuracy on the move. Obviously, Harrison's a really good player. One thing I heard in the offseason when he got drafted is the one transition part for Marvin Harrison was gonna be the overwhelming majority of players he saw in college these last couple of years were guys not NFL corners for a lot of guys in the Big Ten. And he came to the NFL and he's immediately facing the first week the Bills. Rasuell Douglas. This guy's making ten million dollars a year, probably has a couple kids at home, drives a range row that lives in a mansion, and he's trying to take your lunch. Yeh, Marvin, it was gonna be a wake up moment. And today they don't exactly have Jalen Ramsey out there anymore, so you get a confidence he gets an early catch. I loved from a gambling perspective, betting on Marvin Harrison whatever his props were, because last week it was so like it was such a big story. You knew they were going to try to feed him the ball right to get his confidence moving. They have a lot of talent, Like if Kyler's just he doesn't need to play like today, but if he's playing well, Trey McBride, if you just did a draft from scratch, with GMS would be a top five touch tight end. YEP, James Connor is a running back no one talks about whenever I watched it. Even last year, I got this guy could play on my team, and he did yes, and like you said, my buddies with Philly, I know the way it ended right. Defensively, he got a lot of shit. Gannon. They love the guy and they and I remember hearing like he might be a better head coach than he was a pure schematics guy, because how good he is with players, how good of a leader he is, right the way he carries himself. He's a really smart guy. I don't know if they're a playoff team. The one thing with Kyler is he can be a very up and down. He's like a streaky get banged up exactly like he could score thirty in the next game he scores five points but liked. But when he's healthy, he is a He's He's on a top five list of guys that would keep defensive coordinators up throughout the week because he can do stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And like Minnesota, we may not love their overall roster, but you look at Minnesota's offensive pieces and they don't even have Jordan Addison yet It's like Minnesota's got left tackle, back, tight end, two receivers, quarterback, coach, like they got dogs. I mean Arizona McBride, the two backs, Marvin Harrison, they had another kid make a nice catch in the back of the end zones like Kyler. I. I just watched them today and I'm like, I mean the two teams in the league that I've watched and I've went Wow, Saints and even though they're one and one, Arizona that first half against Buffalo, Buffalo was on the ropes all right. Time for Sharper Square, my buddy Chad Millman, CEO Action Network. All of our odds provided by DraftKings. So I'm going to start with one of my strongest plays. There's a difference between struggling but competent and struggling the Bears plus one and a half at the Colts. I had a general manager this week in the league told me he looked at Anthony Richardson's film and said, Colin is as bad as anything I've ever seen from a starting quarterback. Greg Cosell told Ross Tucker on his podcast, his quot and he's not prone to hyperbolic statements. He's missing high school throws badly. The Bears have been close. The Bears have had moments. The Bears have a quarterback who is a franchise quarterback. We don't know yet with Anthony Richardson. If you're struggling with Shane Steichen to the point, can't hit stuff in the flat, you know, once Keenan Allen comes back, I think the Bears will be much better. Anyway. I think Bears plus one and a half is the play here against a wobbly Colts offense.
Speaker 4: Sharper square, so it is the sharp side. The line has moved in that direction right. It was started at two, it's now down to one and a half. So the wise guys have been coming in on the Bears. For me, personally, it's not going to be a spot. Everyone I've talked to clear division on this, not because of the Bears and not because of Anthony Richardson, but because of the spot for the Bears and the spot for the Colts. Anthony Richardson at home has been better than Anthony Richardson on the road. True, the Colts got smacked by the Packers and their run game. Everybody knew that's what they were going to do, and everybody knows that's what the Colts cannot stop. The Bears don't have a run game at all. And the Bears defense, meanwhile, they are great in pass coverage, they are great rush in the past or top five in both according to Pro Football Focus, they are terrible against the run, and that is what the Colts will need to do in order to win this game. And by the way, they are desperate for a win right now. I do think that Shane Steichen is a better coach than Mattybrifus. I do think that what he can draw up for Anthony Richardson is better than what the Bears can draw up for Caleb Williams right now. So it's a very tricky game. The wise guys took the two. It's down to one and a half. You're sharp, but it's not like there's a boatload of confidence on this sharp play.
Speaker 1: We talk about regression of the mean. I love Sam Darnold, but I do not believe he's an MVP of this league. The Texans only have to give up two. They are two to zero and haven't played particularly well. They're a young team. Young teams tend to get better. I'm gonna take Texans minus two. The Vikings slow down a little at some point. No Jordan Addison, TJ. Hawkins and banged up. They'll pay a price for that.
Speaker 4: Sharper square Yeah, and this one you're totally square. Like the Wise guys have been all over the Vikings in this game. It's moved off of a key number. I think they've been really impressed with what Brian Flores has done Defensively. CJ. Stroud has not been as good on the road as he has been at home. We even saw it in some of the struggles that he had in Week one with against the Colts where they needed some help covering that game. So I think the challenge here is people are trying to figure out is Sam Darnold for real? And I have been saying this for about a year. I don't think Kevin O'Connell is getting enough credit as a being a really good coach. You know, we go back two years three years when he and Dayball were both rookie head coaches. Day Ball gets all the credit for being a great coach. He wins Coach of the Year. He goes on the road to Minnesota they beat Kirk Cousins in the playoffs at Minnesota. Kevin O'Connell sort of has looked at as well, why didn't he be Brian Dabill. Brian dabel might be better. And then last year Kevin O'Connell has these quarterbacks that he is rotating in and out after Kirk Cousins gets hurt and keeps this team in contention for the playoffs. Now, all of a sudden, he's got Sam Darnold, and this guy has looked all world the first two games. You got to give a lot of credit to Kevin O'Connell here, which is another reason why the wise guys are backing the Vikings.
Speaker 1: I had a rant today, if you look, we always think quarterbacks are the most valuable people in the league, and they are. After that, I always thought Christian McCaffrey and TJ. Watt felt like they really helped their teams win numbers. However, this morning presented to me about AJ Brown are stark. Jalen Hurts wins at a Mahomes level with him, on Mahomes level twenty eight to eight. Without him, he's a slightly better version than justin fields. AJ Brown is out the Saints are for real. It's a coordinator story. Philadelphia is on a short week. I do not trust the back end of that defense in a close game. I just don't. I think Kirk Cousins. I mean, it was honestly looked. It looked so easy and remedial for Atlanta. I would swallow the two and a half and take the Saint sharper.
Speaker 4: Square well, not a two and a half. It's not very sharp at all. And we've talked about this. There's an old axiom embedding you gotta get the best of the number. You are not getting even close to the best of the number right now. In fact, you're getting the absolute worst of the number. You could have had the Saints at plus two and a half plus three on Sunday night. There's basically been a six point swing in this game. So there's a couple factors here. Number one, you're going to get the Saints who are way way overhyped. So much inflation on the Saints right now. But you're also getting a team when the numbers flip, when a team goes from an underdog to a favorite, historically, the new underdog is going to cover about a fifty five to fifty six clip, so that the percentages are better betting the Eagles right now, despite what you're seeing on the field.
Speaker 1: So the Broncos have had a tough open on the road for a rookie against Mike McDonald's defense and maybe the loudest stadium in the league. And then they face the Steelers, maybe the best defense in the league Tampa. Now they're getting six and a half. Tampa's beat up via VIA's out six and a half. I mean, for you know, Sean wants to win these games. These are the richest owners in the league. It'd be great to get a year to go three and fourteen, but he needs some ws. This number just seems off to me. I'm going to take the Broncos plus six and a half against the Buck Sharper square.
Speaker 4: Naw, you're walking into it's a field of knives. It's so sharp. Colin, you better watch yourself, because, yeah, the Broncos are the side here. And we have this thing called the luck Rankings. I've talked about it on the show before. It basically gives you indicators of if all things were being equal and you took out sort of turnovers, fourth down conversions, lack of ability in the red zone. The Bucks are the luckiest team in the NFL. The Broncos are one of the least lucky teams in the NFL, and the Broncos have also faced some pretty good defenses up to this point. A lot of people are going to look bad against the Steelers defense, right the Bucks. You look at that Lions game. Sure, they beat the Lions at home. The Lions were one for seven with touchdowns in the red zone. They aggressively outgained the Bucks in yardage yards per play. Jared Goff had a terrible game, but he was still moving the ball up and down the field. He just couldn't get it in the end zone. So you combine the challenges that the Bucks have defensively with their injuries, with some of the factors that have inflated this line. Because the Bucks have looked good while also looking a little bit lucky, and that's why you get a wise guy play on the Broncos.
Speaker 1: I like the Ravens against the Cowboys. You could say, well, Dallas was humiliated losing to the Raiders at home. Baltimore was humiliated. There are a lot of similarities with Dak and Lamar. They both have Super Bowl winning coaches, highly compensated, high profile, they win their division multiple times. The difference is Lamar is really good against good teams in the AFC against playoff teams in his career, He's nineteen and fourteen DAK and his career against the weaker conference against playoff teams is well below fifty percent. In fact, forty percent of Dak's wins in his career this is remarkable, are against the Giants in Washington, He's twenty three and four. In these big games, it's gonna come down to two component coaches. Both throsters have holes. I like Lamar in spots like this, not Dak and Mike McCarthy Sharper square.
Speaker 4: This is a tough one. Like this line has been bouncing around telling you that there's money come in on the Ravens and then there's money come in on the Cowboys. I can't give you a consensus. There is no consensus. If I looked at Action Network right now and we have the split of number of tickets, like the amount of bets on a game and the amount of money on a game, you would see fifty to fifty to fifty to fifty. Like it is completely down the middle, and that's why that's why the game is lined at Ravens minus one. Everything you said about Lamar is true.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 4: I think against the na he is something like twenty one something like that, Like he's he's great in this spot. There's no doubt about it. I think you got two teams that are suffering from massive identity crises right now. Defensively, the Ravens kind of don't know who they are, you know, without Mike McDaniels, without I mean Mike McDonald without Patrick Queen. Their secondary isn't as good as it was last year. They're struggling with their offensive line. Their run game, even with Derrick Henry is ish. The Cowboys backfield offensive backfield might be one of the worst in the league. Ceedee Lamb banged up, has a bad ankle. What are the options if you don't have Ceedee Lamb? Their defense is has no depth. Micah Parsons is talking about he felt like he was in a maze against the Saints, like, like it's a fun game to watch. Why do you have to have an opinion on it? You know what I mean? It's just hard one to It's a really hard one to handicap.
Speaker 1: All right, give me one more.
Speaker 4: All right. So we talked about Minnesota, we talked about the Jacks, we talked about Atlanta. We mentioned the Titans and the Broncos. There's two games. They're so gross, Colin like I hesitate to do it. The wise guys love the Panthers. This, Oh god, I know nobody wants to talk about it. This is the corner TV game. I'm not even gonna go into why. I'm just telling you they have been betting on the Panthers. Like the line moved from seven to five and a half as soon as Andy Dalton was announced as the starter. It has now moved down to five. There's a lot of reasons to like Andy Dalton as the starter over Bryce Young, and there's a lot of reasons to now want to play the Panthers. Their offensive line has been playing great. The challenge for them has been Bryce Young is just so inaccurate. So can you get better offensive production of Andy Dalton? Yes? Are you going against a team that actually isn't playing as well as the scores would indicate. Yes. Will the defense for the Panthers potentially improve if the field position is better because they're getting better opportunities to move the ball down the field. They are at least close to their own fifties, so they can punt it, you know, and get it further into the opponent's end of the field, because I think the opponent's starting field position for the Panthers has been at there at the thirty nine yard line. Just hard to win games. It's hard to defend when that's the case. So they're on the Panthers. I won't I won't try to convince you. They're also on the Giants, and I guess that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, Daniel Jones was actually pretty solid.
Speaker 4: They like the Giants. They're just not sold on to Sean Watson at all, and the Browns still have some injury questions on the offensive line. The Giant strength is the interior of their defensive line, best interior defensive lineman in the NFL. So there is some sentiment that the Giants are the right side. And you know, I feel bad, I'm just giving you gross, disgusting things to think about, but we're getting to that point of this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no way I can. I'm just staying away from the Packers. I stayed away during the Colts game. I'm staying away during the Will Levis, who is in the bad Judgment Hall of Fame. I'm just I'm not touched in the Packers until everybody is healthy, but sharper square all odds provided by DraftKings. Good stuff, my friend.
Speaker 4: How great was that Brian Callahan video of him just losing it and then actually just owning it well the next day in the press ConfL okay.
Speaker 1: So that's my theory is that if you look at coaches with young quarterbacks, even when they're awful, they're almost apologetic and defend their young quarterbacks. Why is Callahan shredded him twice publicly? He doesn't like him, He's trying to humble him. And this is my knock. I've told the story. I called an NFL coach who I have a relationship with, and he asked me about all the quarterbacks and I said, Will Levis the gun show. I said, that's just bad judgment. And I said he showed bad judgment in college. He makes really bad throws. I said, he's got a little hitch in his swing. He will not manage Will's about Will. He will not manage a game. He plays hero ball. And I said Brady managed. Mahomes manages about eighty percent of this game is we've got a lead, get out of here. Let's get on the plane and get back home. Bryant Callahan is trying to humble Will Levis, and you do that when your quarterback isn't humble. Because most of these pro athletes that I've dealt with, these young quarterbacks strong dads, coached hard. They've been in a very disciplined quarterback lifestyle since they were nine years old. Most of these kids come in hum as hell. Even the talented ones. You know, their dad was often like a pro athlete. They know the game. When they come into the NFL, you're gonna get coached hard. You got to practice hard, you gotta work hard. And so I think most coaches feel kind of lucky when they get these young quarterbacks. I mean, cee J. Stroud had a success, Lamar Jackson had success. Lamar is an incredibly humble guy. Herbert's incredibly humble. For as big a story as Mahomes is, for a coach to rip somebody publicly, he doesn't like him, it's personal to me. That feels very personal.
Speaker 4: That's the most obvious thing ever, that he doesn't like him. Here's what's challenging. If you want to be an NFL coach, there's only so many jobs. You can always ask yourself, why does Dave Canalis take the Panther's job. You don't have to be an NFL coach and study every second of the all twenty two of every play that Bryce Young played to know that he wasn't going to be the guy. Kudos to him for dumping them and benching him and deciding, okay, we got to chance. I like what I'm seeing. That's what that says. By the way, I'm not flipping to canals, but there's a connection here. When he benches Bryce Young two games ind of the season, what he's seeing on film is the offensive line is playing great. Receivers are getting open when they're not so discouraged they don't run their roots. We've got a chance to be a better team if we get this guy out and give everybody else a little bit more confidence. But between him and Calaham, you're stuck because you have to take an NFL job if you want to be a head coach, and you know, if you're getting that job, you probably have a crappy quarterback and there's nothing you can do about it. So like you're in like the weirdest rock in a hard place because you're getting your dream job and you don't even know if you can succeed because the guy who is quarterback in the team just can't get it done. You're not getting that job unless there's a quarterback. Well, you can't get it done.
Speaker 1: And Canalis was a hot coach was Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson said, no, I'm not going to take it. And Detroit has looked like a little off center. So the old saying strike when the iron hot, Strike when the iron's hot. Ben Johnson was hot. He doesn't take a job. You come back this year and are like Jared Goff doesn't look as good. So I mean this seat, it's all situational and seasonal these yeah, I mean even defenses. Great defenses disappear the next year because defensive players get hurt more often, and so you can have a great defense. The Jets had a great defense last year. You look at this year or like they don't tackle well, they're bad in space like Saula's defense, and now they're injury riddle. CJ. Mosley, the guy who's calling plays so it's like when you're an assistant like Canalis, you say, why would you take that job? Because if Baker Mayfield had a crappy year this year, then you're not doing a prospect.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 4: It's so difficult. We're going to hand you the best job in the world, but by the way, you're also going to have to manage the worst quarterback in the enif with.
Speaker 1: The most impulsive owner. Oh my god, I'm not so sure he didn't make the call on Brychheng. To be honest with you.
Speaker 4: It would It would be true to form right. Everything we've heard is that Bryce Young was not the guy they wanted to draft, but the owner made them draft him. He has not been a guy who has had a great reputation amongst fans and people in the media so far during his reign. If it's funny you mentioned that, because when I heard that he was being benched, I thought that is a ballsy move from a brand new coach with an owner who was known to have strong opinions and medal. It didn't even occur to me that he would have pulled the trigger on that.
Speaker 1: It feels too strong, impulsive and decisive for a young coach known as a quarterback whisper to bail and go to an old past his prime, Andy Dalton, It doesn't feel like the movie you'd make. You'd make that in week six or seven, maybe near the trade deadline. Dangle Bryce Young is a trade piece. Week two. You lost to the Chargers. They look excellent. You lost to Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 4: It's okay, See Colin, this is why you are a savvy inside media player. You think the next level. I'm just a guy sitting in my office in West Hartford trying to figure it all out, and I just thought, good for day Canalis. Good did he decide to bench this guy?
Speaker 1: I like his courage hard. It's easy to have courage when the owner says bench that guy exactly.
Speaker 4: All right, my man, all right, brother, I'll see you later.
Speaker 3: The volume.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review