Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: Let's you.
Speaker 3: I Am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartRadio, I Heart Media, iHeart Podcast Season one episode to Loralized, First Day Chiltern. And we have a very very special guest with us today, one of our favorites. She portrayed the incredibly sympathetic Lane Kim Keiko againa is here with us this morning. Paiko. Hello, thank you for joining us. It's always good to see you.
Speaker 2: Hello, Scott.
Speaker 1: How have you been.
Speaker 2: I've been great, busy.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to be here with you today to share this time and space together.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we're joined with one of fifth of the Intrepid crew. But man, it feels like one hundred percent. Tire Soud. There you go. How you doing, Tara, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I love this episode. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Huh wasn't this great?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was great?
Speaker 1: Isn't this great? It's like these first two episodes are just perfection. Everything about them was perfect. I mean talk about talk about setting the trend here, laying down the first two episodes and now I can see if it wasn't already clear to me, And now I can see why the fans or why people who watch this show created this really strong, viral kindind of word of mouth and you know, telling their friends, and it just spread like wildfire because it was just so darn good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does feel like all of the elements that you have throughout the entire series are all just kind of embedded by by episode two, I was.
Speaker 2: I was surprised too, just what.
Speaker 1: A what a strong first two episodes, because it's all laid out for you. We're already into the conflict, and you know, I was thinking, you know, there are four characters already established that have I mean, you're only your character is only as strong as your antagonist. Who's your antagonist? Right? What do you have to do? What's pushing against you? What's making your life difficult, and what's creating you know that that arc for you and to overcome. And it's obviously loral I with a mother, Rory with school, Laye with her mother there and laying with her friendships. And then you've got Emily against you know her her antagonist is Laurel I and it's her own daughter. So it's just so fraught with layers already. I think Luke, now that we're establishing this Luke Lorelei thing, is sort of you know, that spark is there. You can see kind of something developing now. And you know, uh, he flashes a bit of of of maybe not jealousy, but like a little bit of a little bit of insecurity that she got asked out on a date. But I think, I think, really Luke's antagonist is probably his past and himself as much as anybody.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then it you know, obviously it's going to be Taylor, but it's just so beautifully set up. All right. Let me do a quick synopsis. Loreali oversleeps on the morning of Roy's first dge children, and then she dresses as in a questionable outfit, only to find her own mother waiting in the headmaster's office. Plus we meet Rory's possible nemesis, Paris Gellar, her crew, and an additional cutie. That's what I'm just there. It is interesting. Who doesn't behave so cutely? Does he?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, how nice wordplay in that in that synopsis?
Speaker 1: Huh, I try, I try?
Speaker 2: Oh you wrote that synopsis of I.
Speaker 1: Wrote, I write everything?
Speaker 3: Oh, I apologize. I'm sure everybody else knows that, but I think that's love.
Speaker 1: I didn't write a word. I did not write a word of it. I didn't even write. Directed by Arlene Sandford, beautifully directed, Written by Amy Sherman Palladino, beautifully written. You know, let's talk about your work in this, Kiko. It's further establishing you as a main player here and teasing you and your mother's relationship and all of the tension that that's created in your life. I think, very beautifully, very sparingly, but it really right now. I want to see more of it, which is a good thing, right, that's good storytelling. I just I want to lean in and I want to know more. How did you feel on those first couple of weeks of filming?
Speaker 3: Oh, besides incredibly excited, I think I was so.
Speaker 2: Nervous.
Speaker 3: I was just a bundle of nerves back in those days. It's funny even listening to the music as I was watching the episode last night, it's this mix between it's so joyful and comforting and yet in the bottom, in the pit of my stomach, there's this like there's this like ten because.
Speaker 2: I remember, I don't know I think I.
Speaker 3: Was just a bundle of nerves back in those days that.
Speaker 1: It was one of the great opening scenes of the entire running through you running with the the Apple Venus Volume two and the I'm the man who murdered love by XTC and you run across and scream it and then Laurel I runs in. You guys start rocking out and we see what a great opening. I mean, just like, sorry, sorry, Rory, you know, deal with it, We're gonna go right.
Speaker 4: Was always a surprise to see what you were going to do in these episodes, because I feel, especially in the early seasons, it was like, what is Kim Lane hiding from missus Kim Right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, Scott, but I was.
Speaker 3: I was pretty much always surprised by uh, the scripts, delightfully.
Speaker 2: Surprised, you know, my what would unfold.
Speaker 3: I would always say that the thing about these scripts is that it would it would be the mixture of both that you would hope that you would get, is that you would be surprised, and yet some part of you would say, yep, I knew that was going to happen in that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like I love the jacket at the end when she's just like.
Speaker 3: All right, oh yeah, go casually doing her changeling change before she has to go home.
Speaker 1: Dual Lives and overall, just staggeringly great performance by Lauren Ye in these first two episodes, establishing that hey, you know, there's a new talent in town and I'm taken over. I mean, just all of the comedic skills that are brought to bear. I mean, usually somebody can do drama, or somebody can do or somebody's really strong with comedy, but rarely do you find somebody who's really strong with both and just can go back and forth and back and forth and actually no what they're doing. And it's just just a joy to watch her work. You know, all of that stuff in Headmaster Charleston, Charleston's office, and all of all of that stuff with the with his assistant before she she looks up and whoa wow, how hi? You know what I mean? All that little stuff so great to watch. So, you know, what we're dealing with here, and what the show is showing us is that, you know, maybe Lorelei is a bit irresponsible. It's like who's the parent, who's the who's the kid?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, it's like there's almost a role reversal with the you know, getting distracted by the good looking father that you know he asked her out. You know, there's some heat between them, and you know she she does a sidebar with the guy instead of getting Rory situated at her first day. Right, So, as in appropriate as that may feel, it sets up so many great jokes, you know, it just really sets up so many great situations. And uh, all right, so all these great sweeping shots of stars hollow and this is the new Warner Brothers said. The gazebo is central to that shot. So that's very very well established here. All right, let's go to Chilton. Let's talk about children, Kiko. You didn't spend did you spend any time at children?
Speaker 3: Not really?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you ever go over there and deliver something to Rory or you know, you were meeting at children or something to go somewhere else? No, it never got there.
Speaker 3: And at children, I think once you got to college there was a little bit more, but never never.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's talk about Now we meet Paris, and it's like whoa from your point of view, Keiko, in your life, did you ever experience anybody like a Paris in high school. No, never had one.
Speaker 2: That's that. I love how strong Eliza leans into that.
Speaker 3: I mean she is like a brick wall and then some you know, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of it. It makes the show so watchable. Yeah, because here you have this, not that it isn't, but now we know we're in for it. Like now things are getting serious for our dear Rory. Right this this this babe in the woods, this this lamb in the woods being led to slaughter almost at this this this private school. And I actually loved the scene where they walk in and Emily's there. Oh yeah, because what else did you expect? I mean really, what else did you expect? And it surprised me, but it was like, yeah, that makes makes perfect sense. Well of course she's going to be there, and of course she's going to be there to really dish out the humor with the Loreles Geene shorts and tied I shirt, which was hysterical.
Speaker 2: I love all the cowboy references.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty good stuff.
Speaker 4: And that's like one of the most memorable outfits to this day.
Speaker 1: Yes, it really is classic, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yes, people always dress up as Lorelei and Rory with the children outfit and then this.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like I don't even know if there is another one as iconic because it plays in the opening credits all the time, and when I think of her, I think of her running down the stairs in that particular.
Speaker 4: Outfit that's in the opening.
Speaker 3: That's right identifiable to me. It feels iconically lorele Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's all the all the Halloween cosplaying is pretty much that outfit.
Speaker 4: It's just funny that she wears it as she continues to walk around Stars Hollow. I like forgot that she didn't just go home and change. She went to Luke's and like she was still going around town.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, So we're establishing a real, real antagonism between mother and daughter, Emily trying to get deeper and deeper and deeper, get her hooks in deeper into Rory and both of them actually in her opening salvos in the battle for control of Rory and basically both their lives. So and also we meet Chad Michael Murray, We meet Tristan, Yes, we do who who you know? Do you do you feel like he was given short shift or that he always they always saw him as a character that wasn't going to be a major player, but that somebody there was going to go away eventually because he just was so antagonistic. What did you what did you think of him when you first saw him?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that the way, well, the way that it is written, and also the way that Chad played him again, I think, no no holding back, no punches. I mean, he really came with with that whole Mary thing, like it just like, oh me personally, every time he said Mary, I just like, uh.
Speaker 2: I hated it.
Speaker 3: So So I don't know, it's hard because I do know that there are sometimes when you'll introduce a character that strongly and then you know, you see that person flip to be kind of like adorable and lovely and and you can see them being being you know, they get together at some point. But I kind of loved though, how strongly Chad was introduced, in.
Speaker 4: The way that he played it.
Speaker 3: In that way, I thought he was the love and the fact that well we can do spoilers on this show, you know, yeah, yeah, I mean the fact that the fact that Paris liked him, I mean, it's just so it's so perfect you know. I mean that just gives the more that they can give that as far as obstacles between Paris and Rory, that you know that that that are going to happen, and.
Speaker 2: And the fact that the fact that Paris likes him.
Speaker 3: I just also think it's just so funny because he's such a prickly kind of difficult person and that's the person that you know that she likes.
Speaker 2: I think hilarious.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: You know, for me, what established how much fun this show is going to be, as if it wasn't fun enough, but every element was going to be fun to watch was when her file was passed out the window window to an awaiting Paris, Louise and Madeline. I knew. I knew it was an m and the way they went through that and just the sort of the interaction between those three, I really believe that they were classmates and that they they they had their their sort of structure about who is in power in that troika of people, and I just thought, man, this is fun and people are going to love this show. And I'm trying to put myself back in two thousand, the year two thousand and people watching the show and teenagers watching the show and their mom's watching. It's just oh, this is good, this is fun. You know. They're taking every moment, every opportunity to do something really interesting and fun. And I'm sure you know, Eliza Wheel must have been thrilled getting these scripts and reading this stuff and said, I get to go to work and do this stuff. And it's so it's so, you're right. You get the script and you go, God, I get to get be in this situation. Right, It's really the writing at the end of the day. It's the thing that makes you thrilled to go to work, is like, I get to do this and I get to say this, and I get to be in this situation, and the writers are really taking care of me, you know. And I think Liza probably felt that as well.
Speaker 3: And I think one thing that it just it's an obvious thing that it just dawned on me now, is that in every other high school script, if you have a lead that is kind of a brainy character, then their antagonist is going to be the cheerleader, you know.
Speaker 2: The popular pretty girl that is not so smart.
Speaker 3: And the fact that Amy made the antagonist someone that is just as smart as Rory, and that they were going to battle it out on with instead of beauty, which they're both beautiful as well, but you know, but that that was going to be the way that they would battle each other. Is how smart they were that, you know, how fun is that even when we get to the end of this episode, the fact that they.
Speaker 4: I was about to say when she like, sorry to jump ahead Scott in the episode, but when she and we were talking about when she like answers the question in class after breaking the project, and I was like, well, she doesn't want my help, I'm gonna answer her questions.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Martin Martin Luther fifteen to twenty.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's on with no hesitation, with no hesitation.
Speaker 1: It was just fantastic. She had a great line after she broke her project and it crashed to the floor and she's trying Rory's trying to help her clean it up. She goes, is that like water in the good it's so good.
Speaker 4: Also, like they would be in the same class, it would be her project. It was like, that's the right. The writing was just on the walls.
Speaker 1: It was perfect right right right.
Speaker 3: And it's also like if you think about what in other shows, it's always about there's a girl, she's kind of smart, she has glut well I'm kind of saying too much by glasses and curly hair, right, and then there's the makeover episode, and then she gets.
Speaker 2: All like quote unquote beautified.
Speaker 3: Right, And yet in this it's not that she's her makeover journey is not a physical makeover.
Speaker 2: It's that she's overwhelmed with all of this.
Speaker 3: Stuff in this new school, and her makeover is how does she get her bearings intellectually at this new school? Like that's her That's gonna be her make up quote unquote makeover journey, which I really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's she's returning to the world that Laura I was intended to occupy, you know, sixteen years prior, right, or was occupying. I mean, do we know where Laura I went to high school? I mean she didn't. She didn't go to Chilton.
Speaker 4: No, she didn't go to Chelton.
Speaker 1: That's a good piece of trivia on Earth. I wonder if it's revealed in any I don't recall it being revealed in any of the episodes. Where did Laura I go to high school? Did she go to Hartford High or something like that and when she must have gone to some private school because her parents were loaded. Christopher's parents were loaded, so they were probably in some private private school in Hartford somewhere, right, but not Chilton anyway. Yeah, so it's it's not history repeating itself, but it's a history that Emily certainly wants to try on with her. You know, she's given up on her own daughter, so now she's got a granddaughter, she's gonna she's gonna fight like hell to get her a classical education and then go onto Harvard and do whatever she wants in life. You know, write her own ticket in life. So Emily gets another bite at the apple here. So all great stuff, great scene with the Rory and and Headmaster Charleston. That listen, kid, you know, just because I play golf with your dad and my wife and Emily are good friends, doesn't mean you're getting any special treatment here, you know. And he kind of laid it out for so that's you know, that's tough stuff for a kid. I don't blame her for collapsing into her mom's arms and just give me a hug. That's a tough day, man, like am I gonna? I mean, we know intellectually academically, she's going to be able to hack it, right, I mean if she's already sort of mastering her her English class. But it's you know, the challenge is like, is this girl going to survive? This is? Is is Paris, Madeline and Louise going to to wreck it all for her? She's going to force her out? So the question is tough enough. We'll find out entertaining great stuff, all right, So we go to we go to Luke's and here comes Laurel.
Speaker 4: I right, this is another famous line that everyone says where she wants copy in IV.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the second I saw that, I'm like, oh my god, it's this episode.
Speaker 1: It's this episode. Yeah, just man, the beginnings of it. What did you guys think of this scene? It's it's it's one of my favorite Luke and Laurels scenes that I've seen, the whole thing. It's just like the beginning of it. I mean, it's like they were teasing that in the in the pilot. Now in the second episode you get a real you know, you get a bigger chunk of it, and yeah, it's like, oh okay, It's like Luke's.
Speaker 4: Always been around, but now she's like paying attention a little more in this episode.
Speaker 2: Like mmmmm, I feel like her.
Speaker 4: Well. I also thought it was interesting that in episode one Laura gets hit on by the guy in the diner, and then in this episode she gets hit on by another student's dad, but she's like coming back to Luke. So I I like the way they set it up that way.
Speaker 3: Right right, And I like, I like Scott how you played Luke and how Luke was. He was not a conventionally flirting back. You know, there was so much wall. But I mean I think that that was great because this was not gonna be something that you were gonna that was gonna this wall cannot crumble in season one's episode four, you know what I mean, like you but you want to have that that that that tension and that holding back for a long time.
Speaker 2: And I think that you see that in episode two, which is.
Speaker 4: Which is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also thought it was funny that he was like putting a screwdriver in the in the toaster. It was unplugged, no I know, but like it was just funny. I was like, why screwdriver? It was like you were so into it, like just fixing it. While you know, you weren't even I thought it was funny that you weren't even like looking at Lorelei the whole time. You were kind of distracted, but still, you know, still bantering with her.
Speaker 1: Have you have you ever? You know I played it with There was so much I was so deeply taken with her that I couldn't even look at her. You know. It was that kind of thing where it's like it's paralyzing because she's so glorious and she's so beautiful, and she's got such a an effervescent personality, and she's so smart, and she can be you know, she can also be very impatient and acerbic. You know, that's all that's intimidating for him, right for a guy like that, that's really scary, And it's like, there's but she's just obviously just this spectacular woman, strong and fierce and loving and fun everything that basically he isn't you know, somebody somebody had done gone and hurt that boy, really, you know, and you can tell. And I just always thought that, you know, this is her show, for her to shine and for her to you know, I mean, a scene with Lauren Graham is like watching the fireworks at the fourth of July. And sometimes they're super beautiful, and sometimes they're loud, and sometimes they're a little scary and sometimes but they're always colorful. And you just watch, you know, everybody's fixated, and you know, how do you how do you get next to that? How are you going to do it right? So it's it's it's quite a puzzle for Luke. And it's the only way I thought I could pull this off and make this you know tense, you know, have tension, is to just shut down when she shows up and just like struggle to have a conversation with her. And and if the intention is strong enough, if the thoughts are strong enough, then it won't come off like he's being you know, a jerk to her or whatever, that there's something more there and that look for moments to leak it out, like just little moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you look at her when she like walks away, like she's not looking at you, but he's still look up. It's those little moments.
Speaker 1: Right, because he's scared. Yeah, he's really he's scared that he won't have ever have the courage to initiate anything. He's scared and he knows it, he knows, this is the this is the kind of woman he wants to be with. There's he's never seen anything like her. And also there's like that sort of Romeo and Juliet aspect of it, Like this is a rich girl from a rich family, and I think everybody knows that. So she's different, she's better, she's she's smarter, she's you know, she's not. I don't have the the temperament, the demeanor, the education. I don't. I don't have the class she has, right, And the irony is it turns out he kind of does in a way in certain areas. But just a fascinating dynamic I thought between those two. And I just love these early scenes. God, I love these early scenes because I don't remember them, you know, and I know three years ago we saw them for the first time. I saw them for the first time. But man, I just isn't she great? Though? I mean, but the thing is is she gives you so much. She's giving you so much you don't really have to do much, you know what I mean. Can you imagine two people like that? You imagine if I was like that too, I mean, it would too like I mean, it'd probably be entertaining as hell, but it would be mayhem and like so anyway, yeah, just man, she made it easy. She just made it so easy to work, you know, And not that it's easy. You gotta you gotta hold the line there and not. What was difficult about working with her is you just wanted to bust out and laugh at times. You know, you wanted to you wanted to engage, you wanted to have that much fun on acting. But you mean, no, no, no, no, no, no no, it's not your job. Your job is to do this. Do your job. Tell the story, Tell the story, Tell the story. I don't know, Okay, I I had him. I had a moment there watching this where I'm telling you, I got a little emotional. I said, how did I end up in the show? I mean, I just felt so lucky. It's like, wow, look at this. All right? So now we go back. Oh, and plus yet I think it's the first time we see him. Is it the first time we see him in flannel? Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: When we're in flannel on the pilot?
Speaker 1: I was no, I was in a I was in a denim, denim and a backwards baseball camp and then was I in flannel the first time you see me. I remember, No I was in that. I thought I was in that denim.
Speaker 4: Right, it was denhim in that very first seeing which comes in from coffee in the pilot.
Speaker 1: Right, it's denim, isn't it. If I'm not mistaken, But I think maybe this is the Maybe I could be wrong, but maybe it's the first time we've seen it in flannel. Yes, it was denim. Okay, we have that confirmed from a well.
Speaker 3: A couple of iconic outfits then established, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, and then there the green but it was green. It was like it was yeah, we have to wait for that moment, yeah, right, when when Laurali crowns me Luke right with the blue hat. All right, So now we go now we meet uh, well, we've met her before, but now we go back to Miss Patty's impressions of Miss Patty.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love her.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: The thing about that character. She can say so much with just you know, a cigarette and one line. Right, definitely, once we get over because Sally and Mortar established this episode two right.
Speaker 4: Right right as their neighbors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miss Patty just has it in her body, like her whole history is in her body, in the way she speaks, in the way she looks at people, right, the way she dangles that cigarette. It's just she's she's fabulous, right, She's like a she's like a theater fabulous person, a dancing fabulous person. Right. And there's a bunch of little girls. Uh And it's just it's just established a stars Hollow as a very very place, in a very charming place. And she's h she's being a little nosy about uh Rory going to Chilton. Uh so we so we now we're starting to see as an audience, Oh, this place you know of ninety nine hundred people, which is a little larger than I thought it would be. That would be more like in the four thousand range, the three thousand range.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was that sign in the scenes.
Speaker 1: Right, ninety nine hundred people. I don't think we ever saw that sign again.
Speaker 4: No, because I think that shot was well, I think it was shot probably from the pilot when you guys did in Canada, right, because it wasn't It wasn't the back lot.
Speaker 1: Oh it wasn't.
Speaker 4: No, if you actually go back to it, it looks completely different.
Speaker 1: So it makes sense now.
Speaker 4: I think it was just like an establishing shot they threw into this episode.
Speaker 1: But I guess, I guess ninety nine hundred people in you know, outside of metropolitan areas like Hartford and New Haven and places like that that are far more populard, I guess ninety nine hundred. It's still considered a small town. Yeah, it is. It is. That's a small town, let's face it. But we're now we're seeing that everybody is involved in everybody's life. We established it. This is an element of small town life, and this is what we have in store for the audience, Like this character is going to get know your business. Everybody's going to know your business. And it seems like the central hub of where the gossip may take place might be Luke Steiner because what a perfect place for that to occur.
Speaker 4: Okay, So Scott, I know you know this because we've talked about it. But Keiko, there is a clown pillow that has made an appearance throughout the entire series, and as someone who's watched the show many many times, I don't pay that much attention to details, so it wasn't until this podcast that I like found out. But it's pretty like a pretty straight on shot in this scene, did you notice it or when it was happening? Did you know about a clown pillow going around on set? That's usually a Laurelize house.
Speaker 1: I did not know. And when when Lauren's in a scene, I'm pretty much just looking at her. Yeah, it's hard to look away, right, So this clown.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this clown pillow shows up in other people's houses.
Speaker 4: No, it's usually a Laurelize, but it was like place in different places. But it's been in like dozens of episodes. Like it's like it's like a thing, like people look for the clown pillow. So I don't know if, like maybe when you were filming a scene in Laurrelized house, you ever noticed a clown pillow?
Speaker 1: Were there? There are a lot of fans out there that can recite to you chapter and verse from memory, what episode, what time stamp, what scene it was when the clown pill appeared, they can say, and they can just sit there and list it all right in front of you. You know, it take some ten minutes to do it, but they do it, and it's amazing. Yeah, that's that's how dedicated these fans are. This how many times they've seen this show and this is how much they pay attention. Oh yeah, it's amazing. And there they're always asking me questions that I don't have the answers to watch the show. And they've seen these episodes, you know, literally dozens of times, if.
Speaker 2: Not more, you know, pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: It is impressive because I'm sure, I'm sure there's people that just sort of they have their favorite episodes and they watch only those episodes for a while, and then they'll sort of like try to watch the other episodes that aren't their favorite episodes. It'd be interesting to take a poll how many people just watch your favorite episodes versus people that will, you know, sort of dogmatically watch in order and that's the way they want it them. I'm kind of curious.
Speaker 4: So let us. I did see something on Instagram that listed every Fall themed Gilmore Girls episode, So because of like you know, people want to watch in the fall, you can just jump around and I'm like, I didn't realize because like there's different.
Speaker 1: Like oh I saw that too, Yeah, you like they.
Speaker 4: Have different events like in like by the Gazebo, and I'm like, oh, I guess it's just fall themed. So it's funny, all right.
Speaker 1: So we're Chilton. Paris is sitting in front of U in the front. She's answering every question correctly with a little bet of sass. I would say, self satisfied sass. Tristan walks in and uh, he makes quite an impression. He stares at Rory, ask a friend who she is, and this is the first time Is this the first time we hear Mary?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, hey, Mary.
Speaker 1: Kind of deal calls her Mary.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And Roy seems a little bit worried about the work she's given, right that this giant folder, this giant notebook filled with her class assignments, and her teacher says, well, this is just sort of the outline. You're gonna have to get the details, and you know, ask somebody to borrow their notes, and she's like, whoa, okay. And then Paris introduced herself and establishes that she is the head girl in charge of that self styled prison, I guess if you want to call it. And it doesn't seem that Rory is at all flustered right now or care about any of Paris's antics. So we meet Paris. We meet a very crucial piece of this of this of this dramedy, who will influence things greatly, and I mean, what a great arc. All right, let's go to the Independence in Ah again. We're in the kitchen, right.
Speaker 4: Scenes are so fun.
Speaker 1: The kitchen scenes. Yeah, and this is the first time we see Jackson and they're yeah. And what about all these great shots they have of rolling the peach to decide if there's too much water in it. I mean the putting the camera on the ground and rolling a peach toward it, all this great stuff. What do you guys think of this scene in meeting Jackson for the first time, what'd you think?
Speaker 4: I thought it was fun. It was like that establishing shot of the community that's at the Independence in and you know, giving I think Suki's character a little bit more, a little more room to play as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think they kind of show the three different ways people flirt, well, actually no four if you count Tristan. So it's Jackson and Suki flirting with basically arguing over produce. They have the you and Laurel I scene, which is flirting but you know its own special type. That the more obvious one where she's at Chilton, and then the Tristan terrible flirting where he just makes fun of her.
Speaker 4: But I like that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's all different, there's every.
Speaker 3: There's so many different ways that this kind of strange male female dynamic can happen. And I like, I love Suki in Jackson's way of flirting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very true, the different ways of flirting.
Speaker 1: I'm so used to them being together. I forgot that they weren't together. In that episode, they realized, well, they're not together yet. He's just like, yeah, he's sitting but he's sitting close to her, and he seems to It's like the thing is the acting so good that the vibe is there already that they kind of like each other, but they're not you know, they're not doing that yet. So that's the impression I got from their body language, which is, you know, that's you got a couple of great actress in there. They'll do that. And uh uh yes, all that foreshadowing. And and Lorelei is dressed to impress today she changed uh and uh yeah, she got hit on.
Speaker 4: She got hit on by the valet guy. And then and then the chiltern dad shows up.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's like you know, the bees are swarming, uh, you know, and and we we do get a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful line ah from Drella. Oh yeah, do I look like I have a stamp on me? It says Panasonica. She's playing all this beautiful harp and people are just surrounding her. Then she tips it ever, all right, that's lunch.
Speaker 4: That was so funny, like it's a construction job.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it was such a.
Speaker 3: Great just unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I mean, man, I wish we saw her more in that character throughout the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dear mad TV, I know, huh threw you man, you know, but I mean we did all right without her, but with her, I just think, I mean, it could have been a little funnier of a show, not that it needed to be any funnier, but man, you got Drella and the Independence in if.
Speaker 4: You had Drella with Michelle, just going back and forth through the whole series, actually of them you got.
Speaker 1: You got the you got the Suki in the kitchen with the comedy, you got the Drella, you got the Michelle, you got Laural Anson. I mean it's like, come on, you'd never want to leave the Independence in so great, so great, and then the chilt and Dad shows up and uh, you know it puts on the full court press there.
Speaker 4: That was quick. He didn't go to work, he just went He dropped off this kid and went to the Independence.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean of course. I mean you meet somebody like that and the ViBe's there, Yeah, you're gonna show up. He's like, uh huh uh yeah. And uh. I love the fact that she respected Rory's boundaries here. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Not she got swept up on it and swept up in it in the moment, which was a little you know, inappropriate, you know. But still when there's you know, this sort of mutual attraction, it's it's kind of hard to resist it, I guess for a lot of people, especially somebody looks Lorelei. But you know, she kind of made up for it and cleaned it up a little bit with like, nah, all right, yeah, you're a chilter and dad can't do it. You could tell she was tempted, but her daughter, you know, her daughter comes first and it just makes you love her even more. Right, good job, mom, way to go. But he's coming back from China and he will return.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, Now we get to the they we'll go back to Chilton and her project is wrecked. Paris's project is destroyed by Rory pulling on her locker and falling backwards after not being able to open her locker. In the whole thing, I mean, they really wreck that thing. Man, that thing just blowed it all over the ground.
Speaker 4: I felt really bad for her. I'm like, oh, I was taken. And also the fact that the teacher only gave her one day to do it. She can't redo that whole thing kind of felt I felt for Pars a little bit in that moment.
Speaker 1: A lot of glue, right, yeah, yeah, I mean she's not going to be able to rebuild it from scratch, She's got to blow it all.
Speaker 2: Also, did she just leave it on the floor for it.
Speaker 4: Like glass?
Speaker 2: Yeah, did not address it at all.
Speaker 4: Just it's so funny.
Speaker 1: That's true to character, right, I mean that's how she grew up, right. She probably never took a plate to the sink and rinsed it off. She just left it on the table with all the crumbs and all the Yeah. All right, So yeah, we have that little tet tet in the classroom, and the teacher and I odd very wisely said all right, you two need to work together, okay, since you broke it and you know you're gonna help her fix it, and they gave her a day. Uh, Paris wanted nothing to do with that. She didn't want help. She kept telling Rory to shut up and that was that. So now we just keep building on this tension between these two and it's wonderful to watch.
Speaker 4: I also like the way Alexis played just like she was just so overwhelmed. When she's like, do you go by, are you Rory or are you LAURALI, she goes call me whatever you want or like whatever she says. It was just it was just played so well. And then at the end the teachers like, by the way, we have a new student, right right, right right, Like those comedic moments in the element.
Speaker 3: It was so lovely to watch because I hadn't seen it for such a long time to see Alexis in this from the beginning, because she had that wonderful vulnerability and believability, you know. And if you think about also just Alexis as a person's she's coming into this new city, she's got this huge weight on her shoulders of being the second lead in a show crazy hours. I mean, I feel like there's probably some relatability to this episode two filming, where you're going into this new school and there's all these expectations and this, and I always thought that was such a key thing about the series, but seeing it in episode two and just watching how you're drawn into Alexis because you believe her. I think I believe her in this, and I care about I care about her journey through this maze of a yea of a school, and Alexis probably you know, in Los Angeles, the city she's not, she hasn't been in before, you know, navigating this whole world too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah. No, imagine being eighteen and thrown into something like.
Speaker 2: This, really, right, it's it.
Speaker 1: I know that she didn't expect this level of work daily. Who would, right, I mean who really somebody experienced in the business would be like overwhelmed with it, like, oh boy, you know, it's a lot, it's a lot. Their schedule was terrible, it was, it was. I mean, if you consider having like the two greatest jobs, maybe among the two greatest jobs in the history of television, now that's turning out the show as establishing itself, as you know, deeply wove it into the fa fabric of pop culture America and global society, and in the at least in the entertainment side of things. But yeah, I mean the price that those two had to pay in terms of their their personal life and free time, they had to donate all of that to the show. And yeah, I think I think half the time she wasn't acting. It was like, yeah, I am really overwhelmed with this, and yeah, I don't know if I want to do this. And you know, I'm eighteen, and man, this is not what I expected it to be. Like, you know, because you're god eighteen, Remember when you were eighteen. It's a lot, it's a lot farther away from me than it is for you two. But you know, eighteen is know, it's fraught with fraught with a strong feelings and and a lot of energy and a lot of excitement about life and you know, just beginning it. And that's the beginning of your college experience, you know, and if you go to college. And yeah, there she was an old pro Warner Brothers sixteen hours a day. So yeah, it translated, it definitely translated into the work. Ah. All right, so we go back to loops and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of loops she having.
Speaker 1: We kind of you know, look, we kind of went over this already. But a pivotal scene, I think a big scene between these two really really a pivotal scene. Now we know perhaps what the stakes are or what they potentially could be, that maybe Luke's candidate. How's this gonna go? All right? So we pretty much talked about this iconic line came out of this iconic wardrobe, iconic line. You know, these are the characters, these two characters as we remember them most fondly. Ah, all right, So then we get to the auspicious debut of one Sean guns as as Kirk, the debut of Kirk as Mick. Right, but he isn't.
Speaker 3: He's Mick Emily Why the change is so much different than Mick? But I just.
Speaker 1: This show. But here, here's the thing I love about the show is that Amy is so loyal to people that she's fond of, which was like all of us, right, that she's like, I gotta have more Sean gun So I don't care like like I'm sure Warner Brothers or you know, maybe people around and saying no, you can't do that. He's been established at Mick, but she goes, no, I want him as Kirk. This is this is how I see him now. And she's stuck to her guns and made him Kirk and does anybody care? No, It's like, yes, do it.
Speaker 4: I think there's also one more episode before he's actually established as Kirk, like he's yeah, so there was like there was like two or three where he's just a random character.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, just just beautiful. So Emily, uh, Emily's being a little uh uh. I mean, she's being very generous and she wants things to go well for Rory, but it's you know, it's really insulting to Laurel. I and it and it should be and and and she's not liking it. And it's like, hey, man, you know I did the heavy lifting here with my daughter, and I'm going to continue to do the heavy lifting because it's not heavy lifting, it's just what I do. It's how I love my daughter. And so uh Lorle I bounced Nick, see you get out of here. And and we meet we meet Babette and Maury and they provide us with the information that the DSL installers kicked a gnome in the head.
Speaker 4: And there are so many gnomes in the yard too.
Speaker 1: What a bizarre world we are in, right where you've got and and Maury says, and you know, he kicked a gnome in the head, and that's not cool. It's not cool. Nothing about it is cool.
Speaker 2: We know Maury knows what is cool and what is not cool. By the way he is dressed, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, right, you know, all black with black sunglasses and.
Speaker 3: Glasses always regardless of the weather.
Speaker 1: All right, let's bounce back to Chilton, and now we see Rory is seated next to Paris. And this is where Rory sort of draws her sword a little bit and says, look, how pointy and sharp this thing is, right, answers a couple of questions about Martin Luther, who it was and what year it was Martin Luther fifteen twenty, and then we get the dirty looks from Paris. So it's game on, man.
Speaker 4: My favorite line, which is hello Mary. It was just like the delivery. It was just perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's good, isn't he. He was eighteen at the time too. Wow, God, man, imagine being eighteen and being able to do that. Well, I'm sure you guys can I couldn't all right now. A great scene, great scene for Lauren and also firmly. But it's like at the salon, Lorel I storms in and just sort of tells off her.
Speaker 4: Mom.
Speaker 1: You know, I love I loved how she walked up to the the contraption over Emily's head and knocked on it like she was knocking on a door.
Speaker 4: That's Funny's great. That would freak me out too, though.
Speaker 1: It would be loud, right, yeah, And so now we have Laurel I establishing boundaries, re establishing boundaries just because you paid for Chiltern and I so appreciate that, and you know I will pay you back. But don't cross this line again. Mom, I'll make the decisions. We like our slow internet. We get to dance around and build an appetite and have some snacks and then we go back to work. That's how we liked it. That's how I do it with my daughter. Okay, so butt out. And it was I thought, you know, Lourla I was appropriately angry, and it's like now is the time. It's like she couldn't contain it anymore. And we see that Emily's a little embarrassed, and we are not used to seeing Emily back on her heels. Even though we've just met her, we can tell that this is not a woman who has to be defensive. Ever, She's always got it together, or she's on the attack in some way, or she's plotting. So interesting dynamic. And as we've discussed the pickup scene at She'll, where there's an iconic moment where Rory just falls into her mother's arms and and that is that is a very memorable scene, very memorable physicality between mother and daughter which just collapses into her arms. Don't let me go, Mom, I'm not done yet. I need more hugs. They both had horrible days, and this is where we get the the good lines. And once they get into the jeep about the Virgin Mary, why is he calling me Mary? Well, he's because you know, the Virgin Mary. And and but if I was what'd she say? What if you? What if I was a little more slutty and luralized this, well, that would be a Magdalen. Biblical insults, insults of biblical proportions. All right, So now we come to the iconic lane in Kim in a fox a pink fox hoodie, foxy Foxy? Was it fox or foxy? Taking a nighttime stroll with with Lorelei and Rory, all having had pizza okay.
Speaker 2: And just to eat two meals and multiple meals.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that scene. Do you remember that scene? Keiko?
Speaker 2: I do not at all.
Speaker 1: Tell us anyway make something up.
Speaker 2: Full night in Burbank to believe that I was Connecticut, Scott.
Speaker 1: It was a brisk night in Burbank. I'll never forget it. The salamanders had gone away for the day, the street corner of the streets no longer hot.
Speaker 2: The airplanes for some reason, we're not landing in Bourbon.
Speaker 3: We had the quiet that we needed for that crucial outdoor shot as we.
Speaker 2: Did our mini wunner across the street.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it was it was a really interesting camera position because you guys were in the distance. There was some you know, there was some railings or or or partitions in front of you, separating the camera and you guys, and it looked like a movie shot.
Speaker 4: There was.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of movie shots in these first two episodes. There's a lot of sort of film movie shots in these Yeah, and I enjoy them so much. And you guys will walk into frame and and uh, you know, you had your little easy friendship and breezy nice time and the three girls enjoying each other's company in pizza, and then we say you have to take off your you have to take off your hoodie, you have to take the ribbons out of your hair and transform back into Lane Kim prisoner of Missus Kim.
Speaker 3: I did sort of enjoy, well, definitely enjoyed the fact that you know, they found a way to have to have the Lane Rory relationship feel easy and just part of the fabric of life that it didn't necessarily need to be. That we went to school together, but we were still close, right, and that home life would home life being stars hollow. I guess is also includes Lane is kind of.
Speaker 2: Part of that fabric, which which I.
Speaker 3: Loved and felt it was a way to I think, keep keep that, keep that friendship and dynamic involved in the show over time as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these years later, it's amazing how deeply the lame your character and Missus Kim resonates throughout that show. It was a huge piece of that. Even though I don't know that you guys, you know, you and Emily had a ton of screen time, but but what you guys did was just so h It's so deeply embedded in me because it was just so good and it was so thank you. I mean, it said everything. It was. It was it was like, you know, this the difference between cultures, and it was the you know, pretty much the opposite of what uh Lorelei and Rory had and right, it was just so moving and so powerful the work that you two did together. And then to have a nice relaxing stroll at night eating pizza in a small town with your best friend and your and your you know, your second mom. Almost really lovely scene, really really lovely scene. All right. So Laura I says she had a Paris in high school. I mean, this is after you go back and you know you want the cross, give me the crust? Can I have your crust? I have to go to dinner now. My mom's I'm late for dinner, all right, so you you take off and uh so, Laura I tells her daughter, Listen, I had to Paris and you'll be okay, And Rory Ashore's yeah, I'll get through it. I'll figure I'll figure it out, mom. Because mom says, do you need me to talk to anybody? Hire a guy named Vinnie, what do you need? I'll do anything, And she says, I'll handle it, Mom, don't worry, I'll figure it out. And then they stop and they take a look at Luke, who's cleaning cleaning a table, and he doesn't see them, or so we think, and they sort of spy him a little bit, and and Laura I asked the question, what do you think? What do you think of? Look? What do you think?
Speaker 4: You think?
Speaker 1: He's cute? And and and Rory's like, OK no, no, mom, no we could. You can't date him. He's like, come on, we'll ever be able to eat there ever again, because because it's inevitable, it isn't gonna work out. That plays a lot of faith in our own mother's ability to have sustained relationships. But but a very nice moment at the end after they walk off and Luke walks out of the diner and just looks after them like he was aware and a little disappointed they didn't come in maybe, you know, very touching stuff. So again, episode two ends with the diner yep, just like episode one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Whatever the last and there's an un and then there's an unanswered question, why does it say William's hardware because we don't know that it's his dad's store yet, that he inherited from his father.
Speaker 1: We don't know that yet. Yeah, we see the Luke sign, and then we see another Luke sign which is a smaller one on the other window on the opposite side, right on the left side of the door, that is a white light with red letters. And I don't know that it was in this episode. I'll go back and try to find out. But but there was also a Lukes Diner coffee mug logo that became you know, the logo was on the Was it on the side of the dowa?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was treeway. It was like not in this scene. It was like I think it was one of the scenes where Laura I walked in and it was like kind of like established that that was It was like the coffee exactly what the sign looks like now, maybe just a different version of it. But yeah, it wasn't in the final scene though, when the camera zoomed out.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing that this show is so meaningful to so many people, that that Luke's Diner logo has become iconic in a way that few logos are yeah, I mean people instantly they see that Luke's diner mug with the red letters, the yellow mug with the red letters, and the feelings that that evokes in people. Isn't that amazing? Just just stunning show?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: So one tradition we're going to hang on to, I think, is how we felt about the episode. I don't I don't know if we want to rate them anymore one to ten or anything, but uh, keiko start out, what do you think of these this this second episode? You think it was?
Speaker 2: Oh, I was really I was really touched.
Speaker 3: You know, it had been it had been years since I hadn't seen it. But even in that last moment, they were just talking about about how she asks Rory right at the end of the second episode about Luke, you know, so.
Speaker 2: And and all of all of what.
Speaker 3: Happens with with Paris and just and of course the iconic uh Laura la Emily dynamic that is going to fuel the whole season for seven years. You know, it's all like I said at the top of this, as we were talking about the fact that all of it is there, you know, all of it is there in that second episode, right, just makes me love television. Not only love this show, but love television. The fact that you it really all of the elements are in there, embedded in the beginning, and if they're they're good and grounded, then we can go on a journey with these people and watch them, you know.
Speaker 2: For years, and it's a special, special thing.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm I loved it. So I don't know how you can rate love, but I love.
Speaker 1: The thing that's thrilling about for me watching these first two episodes everything you said, but that we get a glimpse inside Amy and Dan's brains and how this show, how they built the foundation for this show and this platform so all of these characters could grow and interact and thrive, and it's just it's like being on this awesome construction project that's going to sort of make the world a better place almost, you know, if you want to look at it that way, Because the show really has made the world a better place. It's really given a great deal of comfort to people. So watching these first two episodes is just I felt the same way. I felt very moved by it because I now know that this show, this little innocent show on this smaller network, has grown into something that nobody anticipated that nobody anticipated. It just sort of came out of nowhere. Just art is fascinating, isn't it just just art is unpredictable and fascinating. Yeah, anyway, I have one question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if we're going to get this chance again. So sorry, Scott, I'm jumping ahead, But Keiko, I have to ask you. Recently, with Adam Brodie's show on Netflix, everyone's been saying Lane should have been with Dave.
Speaker 5: And absolutely, and everyone's like justice for David Galski. And I know we mentioned that, you know, Lane wasn't in every scene every episode, but what does it mean to you when that character and little moments like that means so much the fans? And it keeps coming up because I feel like we've talked about that character and that relationship, and I guess two part question, what do you wish happened with that with that relationship? And too, what does it feel like to have moments of the show come back in your life?
Speaker 1: Hang on, hang on, hang I know I want to leave this on a cliffhanger. That's a great question, by the way, that's an awesome question. I've been waiting. I don't want an answer. You know why I don't want an answer. She has to come back exactly, so when we get to that fantastic day Vergalski stuff. Okay, you're coming back, Kiko, Okay, cool, yes, all right, great and then look we'll address it then, Okay, all right, because I don't want to take up. You know, this has been an hour and fifteen minutes for you, and I know you got to get you got a life there. But it always a joy to see you and such a pleasure to see you act again. And we'll see you next time, you know, and have a great one and we will see you soon. And thank you for coming on always. It's always special to see you.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye, take care, take go again. Everybody, all right, Thanks everybody, that's gonna that's gonna wrap up Season one, episode two. Thank you all for your loyalty and dedication. We love you very much and remember where you lead. We will follow hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at im all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.