Speaker 1: You're listening to part Time Genius, the production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. Hey there, Joe, Hello Mango. So I know that you like canoli's. You've been making them for all the people who come to your book launch parties at various bookstores across the country for your wonderful book, The Sicilian Inheritance, which is honestly the greatest thing ever. I mean, coming to hear an author talk while they make canoli's for you is pretty great. But then I saw this fact this week about Canoli's and I had to tell you about it. So did you know that a canole has actually gone into space?
Speaker 2: I did not know that, but I'm also not surprised. I mean, I can only can really do anything. It's an intensely versatile dessert. But how did it get there? Did NASA take it there?
Speaker 1: So the story is a little more low than that. Apparently, these three young scientists decide that they wanted to do something joyful for Sicily, so they started what they called the Sicilian Space Program.
Speaker 3: Wow, do they have T shirts? Because I want one?
Speaker 1: I know I want a tea shirt too. But these three scientists, with no real money, decided to send a canoli into space, and because a real canoli would actually disintegrate, they fabricated this delicious looking canoli or canolo because I guess one canoli is called canolo, yes, And they made it out of lightweight polymers, and then they modeled a path and attached it to a little helium balloon craft which they called the Canolo Transporter, and along with it they sent a thermometer, a parachute, a GPS device, and a camera, which is so great because the shots of space from this like Canol helium spacecraft looking down on Earth are absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: Wait, no, no, sorry, Okay, So I am imagining it with a face to be honest, because I so when I sign the Sicilian Inheritance. And I'm now coming up on my one hundredth event for this book in three months, because I've been doing bookstores and I zoom into book clubs for it for a while. I've been trying to draw canoli in the books, but they never look like canoli. They look like something else.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not going to say what they look like.
Speaker 2: And then I draw a little happy face on them, which makes it even worse. So I'm picturing I'm picturing this space cannoli with a little happy face smiling down on the Earth, which is a really wonderful thing.
Speaker 4: But did they actually get it to space. They did get it to space, no smiley face. They got it to thirty thousand meters into the air, so into the stratosphere, and I guess the thermometer recorded a temperature of negative fifty degrees celsius before it started crashing to Earth, so that's pretty amazing. And then the scientists chase it down through this field of sheep to find their space canolo. But what's really sweet about the whole thing is that they just want to change the perception of Sicily a little, from this land of mafioso and economic struggles to something really delightful. And according to one of the scientists, this is what he said, our Sicilian space program was a gift meant for all Sicilians and a way to make them smile. For us, this great little gesture is a gift to the Cosmos, a technological right, and even just a simple gesture to lift up Sicily in our own way, which I just think is really sweet.
Speaker 1: I love you. That's the first of a whole bunch of facts we have about Sicily today, So why don't we dive in.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Welcome to part time genius. I'm youngish articular. My good pal Will Pearson is off on a business trip this week. But that's great because I pulled in author, journalist, podcaster and one of the most remarkable people I know, Joe Piazza, to sit in his chair. Joe, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks for having me. I'll fill in for Will anytime.
Speaker 1: And of course leaning back in the studio, feet on his desk, cracking open Sicilian pistaches and just tossing them on the floor without a care.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, of course that is our wonderful Dylan Fagan, just scarfing away on pistachios back there, but just just snack and just snack. And you know I should have made you guys, can only you know?
Speaker 1: Joe? I always tell people I don't know anyone who's as insanely productive as your. You've got three kids, a wonderful marriage, You're always writing at least two books at any one time, and you also seem to prioritize reading and sleep, and you travel. So I am curious, how do you get it all done.
Speaker 2: I don't actually I don't actually know how I do it. I have to say. I think it's I just don't f around anymore, like I'm insanely efficient, Like I don't have I don't actually scroll Instagram even though I report on Instagram. And yeah, I'm an efficient Virgo.
Speaker 3: I grew up.
Speaker 2: You'll appreciate this as a person who loves astrology as much as I do. I grew up rejecting like all of the traits of a Virgo, like super organized, super efficient, love security, much in the way that I grew up reading The Babysitters Club and thinking I was a Stacy because she was cool and from New York City, and you know, as I'm an adult, I'm like, oh, yeah, I'm a freaking Virgo.
Speaker 3: And I'm not Stacey. I'm totally Christy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I asked Ruby what they thought they were in terms of the Babysitters Club, because of course, you know, obsessed with it. And Ruby's like, well, I'm organized like a Christie, but I like to hide candy all over my room like like a Claudia. Like a Claudia.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 1: So I've got your best seller right here. The Sicilian inheritance. Can you tell me a little bit about how you came up with the story of this book.
Speaker 2: Oh, I sure can, Yeah, I mean it started out I wanted to write a delicious adventure to Sicily, and I loosely based it on the murder of my own great great grandmother, Lorenza Marsala. My family's been passing on this story as like a piece of family lore for as long as I can remember, but they don't know many details. In fact, most of them don't know any details. A lot of them didn't even know what her name was. It was just, oh, our family matriarch was murdered in Sicily. The men thought she was murdered by the mafia because they all think they're Tony Soprano.
Speaker 3: And the women.
Speaker 2: Thought that she was murdered because she was a Sicilian witch or a healer, because they all believe they're Sicilian witches, and frankly, they probably are. And I took that little nugget and I just went with it. I tried to imagine what it would be like to be a woman in Sicily one hundred years ago, when your husband leaves for twelve years at a time and you're left alone. The women in these Sicilian villages, they took the men's jobs. They started lending money and buying land, and they had autonomy and agency for the first time in a really cool way. And then I had a modern day woman in the book go back to Sicily and try to claim her family inheritance and solve this murder. So it's just it's a delicious adventure and romp through Sicily with the right amount of taking down the patriarchy.
Speaker 1: So obviously you mentioned this. The story is based on this real story in your family of your great great grandmother Lorenzo, getting murdered, and your dad was obsessed with this and spending all this extra time trying to solve the story. But to tell me a little bit about you know, the podcast and how that came together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad spent so much time and so much money actually before before he passed away, trying to figure this mystery out. And you know, now it's been seven years. And when I started writing the book, like I said, I wanted it to be fiction, straight up fiction. But then and once I finished the book, because I'm an intensely productive content creator, I decided, oh, now I have to solve this mystery in real life, and I started making a podcast about it, a true crime podcast also called The Sicilian Inheritance to make things very Easy, where where I go back to Sicily on a mixture of fact finding mission and family summer vacation to solve the actual mystery, digging through archives, digging through court records, interviewing people in the town where Lorenzo Marsala is from. And it's become this wonderful podcast. When I describe it to people on tour, sometimes I call it white Lotus meets only murders in the building because it is me, in many ways, bumbling my way through Sicily trying to solve this murder. But from the very start last summer when we were there, we did discover some really crazy bombshells that come.
Speaker 3: Out in episode two.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean, people are binging this podcast like crazy. So many people are telling me that Sicilian Inheritance is their new favorite true crime podcast, and it's been.
Speaker 3: It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a really sweet tone, and it's you know, I got to work on it a little bit, but to me, it just feels like this lovely driving to the Beach Summer podcast that you know is delightful and not gory, but still a true crime. You know, there's something really wonderful about the tone totally. But you know, I was looking into this and one of the things that's amazing to me is that, like how many Italian Americans are Sicilian, you know, Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Alicia Keys, Ariana Grande, Joe DiMaggio, Frank Sinatra, Steve Shechemi. I mean, the list just goes on and on, and I had no idea that, like Sicily was that big a part of the US. But then you talk a little bit about the immigration experience in the podcast. Can you talk a little bit about what it meant to go to Ellis Island to do research? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean there are so many Italian Americans who are Sicilian, because you know, Sicily was very impoverished one hundred and fifty one hundred years ago, and so it was mainly Southern Italians and Sicilians who were immigrating to the US to make a better life for themselves and for their family. And one of my first stops for research was to work with Ellis Island and their researchers and historians are incredible. They don't just pullship manifests for you. They help you research all different kinds of government records. But what they were able to find for me is the immigration documents for all of Lorenza's children and her husband who came to the United States, which listed just so much personal information and also information about Lorenzo because they had to write about who they left behind. And some of these children that immigrated were kids, they were teenagers, they were, you know, thirteen, fourteen years old, and they wrote on their document, I left my mom behind, and that just got under my skin. And that one child, that one son, he was almost sent back because they were worried that he wouldn't have enough support here in America without his without his mother here, even though you know, other family members were here at the time. The government was very very nervous about having anyone here that they would have to take care of, and so he nearly got sent back, and he did and he made it to Scratton with his other brothers. But yeah, I mean, it's a really intense emotional journey to hear these stories and learn more about the people who came before you. And the kinds of things that they went through and what they achieved, and you know, it just it puts so much in perspective today that we can do hard things, we can do difficult things, and that we have this actually in our blood and in our DNA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that really is remarkable and obviously so meaningful for your family to discover all this stuff through you. But I think what I love so much about the podcast is, you know, I have no envy for all the struggles with bureaucracy and the digging through records in Italy and all that, but you know, like those bits about you traveling around Sicily and Calta Balota and these like fields of lemon trees and olive trees and old world towns and gorgeous beaches and you do that beautiful, beautiful food scene there. It all just makes me want to go to Sicily so badly. Yeah, And that's why I thought it'd be really fun to do at nine Things episode with you to learn a little bit more about like the surprising things people don't know about Sicily. So why don't we get to some facts.
Speaker 3: Let's do some facts. I love a fact, you know that.
Speaker 1: So actually, if you don't mind. One of the things that really stunned me about the podcast was like some of Greece's influence on Sicily, and you talk about it in terms of the Virgin Mary kind of being bigger than Jesus and Sicily. Would you do that as your first fact on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, absolutely absolutely, And you know it makes sense, like Sicily was indeed part of ancient Greece, part of that ancient world. And one of the things I discovered is that Sicilian women have just carried on so many traditions of different goddesses from Greek mythology, from Roman mythology, from Northern African mythology, and you know, put a lot of those attributes onto Mary. You know, Mary is a real presence in Sicily. She's she's not a meek woman at all. She's not just the mother of the Savior. In Sicily. The statues of her present like a powerful goddess. I mean, they just radiate strength. They're big, she's big, she takes up space, and they treat her kind of like a Greek superhero. She's often in a massive white and gold cape that flares out around her body like a mountain. She doesn't have a tiny halo. Instead, she's wearing something that feels and looks a lot more like a craft. I mean, almost like the moon, because it resembles the goddess Diana, the moon goddess, and it is because, like I said, Mary is just a bit of a collection of different goddesses. The Sicilians took all of these old Greek myths and the myths from the Carthaginians, like Diana and Aphrodite, and they combined all of those into the Virgin Mary. It made it a lot easier to accept Christianity, and like they're fine, They're fine with Jesus, Okay, But Sicily is a place where magic definitely still exists, and so you can believe in the Virgin Mary but also in the Evil Eye. And Mary can be a mashup of all of these strong, capable women. She's a little bit Greek myth, she's a little bit of Christian belief, and in Sicily she's a healer and a mother, but also kind of this wonderful, witchy goddess.
Speaker 1: I really love that so much. But I also love that you talk about her kind of like a witch, Like could you talk about like Sicilian culture and witches and strength as.
Speaker 2: Straight I guess, yeah, I mean, as there was this idea that Lorenzo Marsala, my great great grandmother, was possibly a witch and a healer, and it's one of the things that we're trying to prove in the Sicilian Inheritance podcast. But of course, you know, there's no legal you know, tax documents to be like, oh yeah, I'm just writing off my expenses from being a peasant witch, sadly, sadly. But there's ways, there's other ways that we try to go about it. And you know, the idea of the witch and the healer, it just has such deep roots in Sicily for so long, and in fact, the straga the witches were often known as the dona ayetane the women who help, because they did help. They took on all the attributes of doctors, healers, also social connectors in a way, you know, they did a lot of the matchmaking. Yes, they had the evil eye, but the evil eye was to you know, not to vex your neighbor necessarily, but to keep away dark forces from other towns, I mean, from other islands. Things like that. They were really they were the protectors and caregivers of Sicilian society for a long time. And I do believe that that that is part of what Lorenza did. And you know, we have we have a very big witchy thread in the Sicilian Inheritance novel as well.
Speaker 1: And there were midwives and ob GYNs too, kind of.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yes, there are midwives obgyns. They deliver babies, they help women prevent pregnancy, you know, which was was a was a very big deal. I mean, so many of these women were constantly pregnant or constantly breastfeeding, and it's an exhausting life and so these were these were the women that really kind of held the fabric of society together by by caring for everyone.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I love that bit. There's there's like so much of this that like I either kind of knew little bit about or like had no idea about. And I think just learning about the land and the feeling of really how transportive. I know I used that word before, but like how transport of the podcast is like can't be underscored. But one of the things I wanted to do was talk about like a few things that people might not know about from Sicily. And I'm guessing you know all about Sicilian ice creams.
Speaker 2: Right, I know a lot. I know a lot about Sicilian ice cream. So I took the kids there and you will hear them on the podcast, and they're little. I took three children under the age of six to solve a Sicilian murder mystery, which is what they get to talk about in therapy in about twenty years and so we had Sicilian ice cream about twice a day.
Speaker 1: One of the things I really love is that Sicily apparently is the first place where brain freeze is documented.
Speaker 3: Freeze shut your mouth. I didn't know that. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: It's from this book called Frostbite, How ref Changed Our Food, our Planet, and Ourselves by Nicola Twilly, and it has all these great documented examples, because eating something that cold was unusual in the eighteen hundred and seventeen hundreds. But she talks about this description of brain freeze from the seventeen seventies, and it's an account of a British naval officer taking his first bite of ice cream at this formal dinner and this is what it says after he took his first bite. Quote, at first, he only looked grave and blew up his cheeks to give it more room, but then quote the violence of the cold. Soon getting the better of his patients, he began to tumble it about from side to side in his mouth, his eyes rushing out water. Shortly thereafter, he spat it out with a horrid oath meaning I guess he was swearing, and in his outrage, had to be restrained from beating the nearest servant. Wow, that description is so insane.
Speaker 3: Wow. Oh wow, that's great. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I've heard I've heard a lot of descriptions about cold things in Sicily, you know, Mount Etna, because the grenita is the other big dessert in Sicily, which is shaved ice. Okay, and you walk through the streets of Palermo and literally men make you a greanita by hacking away at ice with a machete. It's so violent and so delightful. But grenda originated from the snow and ice on the top of Mount Etna. They're volcano.
Speaker 3: That's very cool, Pretty cool, right, yeah, So well, fact you have next Well, you know.
Speaker 2: Since Dylan got his hands on those special Sicilian pistachios, I do think it's worth talking about them a little. Sicilians use pistachios in everything, and I mean, this is a good time to point out we talk about this in the podcast and in the book. Sicilian food is very different from Italian food. Okay, there's no heavy red sauces. It's a lot of influences from North Africa, from other parts of the Mediterranean, and from the French, you know, because the were indeed conquerors of Sicily for quite some times. So you do see pistachios and crushed pistachios in lots and lots of dishes, I mean almost every dish, and so Sicilian pistachios or bronte pistachios are often referred to as green gold because of their delicious and intense flavor. Now, pistachios obviously grow in Iran, California, lots of other places, but the reason that the nuts taste so intensely sweet and meaty is because, of course, the soil from Mount Etna is just so so nutritious and delicious, and that soil gives a lot of Sicilian foods their distinct flavor, from Sicilian wines and liquors to the local honey and the strawberries the rich volcanic soil is not only super fertile, but it also imbused foods with a complex earthy goodness. And actually, just as an aside, I gotta say, Mount Etna also plays a role in Greek mythology.
Speaker 3: Did you know this?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: The green thought that it was where Hephestus, the god of blacksmiths, had his workshop and his forges, which is why you can almost always see the smoke billowing out of it like a chimney. But back to the pistachios. The Romans originally brought pistachios back from the Middle East, but they were mostly forgotten. And then when the Arabs came to Sicily in the ninth century, they could not help but notice the incredible flavor of the nuts, and they kicked the cultivation up into high gear. And today the Sicilian pistachios are still harvested entirely by hand, which you know, oh wow, which sounds beautiful, right, I mean, we love thinking about things that are done with our actual hands and not machines. But it is intensely labor heavy, intensely labor heavy. And then they spread out these big cloth canopies when they collect them and shell and chop them by hand, or sometimes they send them to the factories to be turned into paste.
Speaker 3: But because it does take.
Speaker 2: So much labor, and because it's intense on the land, it only happens every two years to protect the trees and improve the flavors. And this is why Sicilian pistachios are a little bit pricier.
Speaker 1: That's funny, I didn't realize. So they're kind of expensive.
Speaker 2: They are, they are, and they're too expensive to use in things like cannoli, even though I do it, or or or ice cream over here, unless you're paying like high end luxury prices. And The Times has an article where they point out one businessman actually compared the price of pistachios to find jewelry, which makes sense because, as the Times rites in their very timesy and way, the beautiful little nutmeats grown around Bronte a variety called smeraldo, meaning emerald, So.
Speaker 1: The jewels of the jewel nut kingdom.
Speaker 3: They are truly the jewels of the nut Kingdom.
Speaker 1: I also like the word nutmeats.
Speaker 3: The nutmeats, my friends.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna skip forward to a fact that makes me think of your uncle Joe from the show and how he talks about how maybe there's a vendetta against your family and this long held grudge against your great grandmother, and this fact is about revenge. So apparently Cicily is home to one of the narrowest houses in the world. The house is only about three feet wide from the outside, and it's two stories high. I'm sure you've seen it or been there, but I have. Indeed, yes, I wanted our listeners to hear this because it is so incredibly narrow that two people can't walk through it, and there's nothing in it except a staircase and some windows. So you might ask why did you build a place? The name will tell you. The house in Sicilian is called Casa du Karivo, or House of Spite. And this is the story I got from this site. I like Audity Central. The owner of the house in the nineteen fifties want to expand his place to a second story, but per the village rules, you had to get permission from your neighbor to build upwards. But the neighbors did not get along. The neighbor obviously said no. But there's a loophole that if you build something a certain distance from your neighbor's property. You don't need permission. So the owner basically built out despite this narrow three foot side extension on the side of his house two stories high, just to block the view of the village below. And he painted the back of the extension totally black, so when the neighbor looked out their window, that's all they could see. It is so horrible and wonderful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's horrible if you don't think grudges are you know a thing that we should do.
Speaker 1: I a the most beautiful grudge possible.
Speaker 3: It's the most beautiful grudge I've ever heard. And you know I talk about that.
Speaker 2: I have this line in the Sicilian Inheritance book that grudges are our national pastime. In Sicily, grudges are our golf.
Speaker 3: So I love this fact that brings me so much sjoy.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. It also reminds me of that Larry David in Career Enthusiasm starts that Spike coffee. I just love the idea of like spike businesses.
Speaker 3: I love business.
Speaker 2: You know, I've recently started a war with Philadelphia Magazine and I because they didn't get the Sicilian Inheritance in like a book list that they were doing. And I'm Sicilian, I hold grudges, right, and so I started a war. I started my private war with them. I don't even know if they know where it or And I'm like, I'm just going to launch a Spike magazine in Philadelphia, a whole Spike magazine of my own. I will launch a competitor magazine just to just to hold this grudge against you.
Speaker 1: Will writing two books and parenting.
Speaker 2: Three absolutely whatever, I can do it. All right, let's move away from something spiteful to something something really cute, which is do you know about Sicily's dwarf elephants.
Speaker 3: I do not dwarf elephants, my friend.
Speaker 2: Just think, just just picture this, okay, teeny tiny elephants. According to the Smithsonian, the elephants were the size of Shetland ponies. Oh it is a really small quite quit dwarfs, Okay, dwarf elephants. And they once roamed all over the islands. But you know, eventually they did, they did indeed go extinct.
Speaker 1: So was this like fairly recently, like in the last hundred years or two hundred years?
Speaker 2: Is something No, No, this isn't like the thylacine, of which you know obviously the Tasmanian tiger. The thylacine last died out. This was at least fifty thousand years.
Speaker 3: Ago, which is, you know, quite some time.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't like sure the Sicilians kept them around the house like pot pelly pigs, but I would I mean if I would keep.
Speaker 1: The dwarf, course, a dwarf elephant.
Speaker 2: But what is fascinating is that scientists have clearly wondered how did these elephants get so small? And in twenty twenty one, they analyzed a tiny elephant's skull found in the Pentali Caves and discovered that the dwarf elephants evolved from one of the largest elephants ever, straight tusk elephants, which were freaking massive, thirty thousand pound creatures. And what the DNA showed was that the animals which either crossed land bridges to Sicily or swam there, they went from being thirty thousand pounds to these tiny two thousand pounds elephants and about forty generations. And for scientists it's just this mind blowing example of how quickly animals can change shape entirely and evolve.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really fascinating and so cute. So I like, that's so cute. So, you know, I didn't think we'd be speaking about evolution on this episode exactly. But I know what you're gonna get. I found this fact about eels that I'm gonna read to you because it's scribbled here. This is from the Margin Ilion, which is a great site. But apparently eels have baffled civilizations forever. They are super shy creatures. They're really hard to observe. Also, obviously they can be dangerous and they look kind of serpent like. So there's always been this like lore and myth and you know, dangerous feeling around them. Aristotle thought they emerged from mud, as did Egyptians. But as science evolved, one of the big questions became how to eel spawn because they have no visible genitalia. People have spotted eels with roe, but male eels hadn't been very present, and it became this big mystery in science. And then in eighteen seventy six, this young brilliant scientist, a med student named Sigmund Freud, decides to take up the case. He's only nineteen years old. He just becomes obsessed. He starts trying to figure it out. He moves to Triesta in Italy to do more study. He starts his days gathering eels from local fishermen. Every morning, at dusk, he takes them to a shack. He studies them in bulls and on counters and dissects them and observes them. Then he takes a one hour lunch break and studies for another five hours every day. Like he's devoted to figuring out do mail eels exist? And he just can't crack the case. And there's this writer, Patrick Spenson, who wrote this book, the Book of Eels, And this is from Marginal Elliot. This is what he says. What neither Freud nor other scientists at this time knew was, of course, eels have no visible sex organs until they need them. Metamorphosis is not just superficial adaptations to new life conditions. They're existential, and eel becomes what it needs to be when the time is right. And twenty years after Freud's failed effort, a sexually mature male silver eel was finally found off the coast of Messina in Sicily, and thus the eel had finally become a fish, a creature not so dissimilar from others, and I don't know, I know it's like a kind of a gross creature, but I think there's something wonderful and fitting about the fact that, like Sicily is this land of myths and magic. And also the fact that the answer to why an eel isn't just a monster that comes from Sicily is kind of wonderful.
Speaker 3: I love that, I really do.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I talk about this in the podcast.
Speaker 5: I talk about it in the book.
Speaker 2: You know, Medusa is on the Sicilian flag, and I love the idea of turning around the Medusa myth to be like was she a monster or was she a woman who wasn't going to let people mess with her?
Speaker 3: And you know she has the snakes in her hair, but some Sicili and think that they may be eels.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really interesting. I had no idea. So I know We've got a few more facts before we close this out, but let's take a.
Speaker 6: Quick break first.
Speaker 5: It sounds good.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to part time Genius, where I'm talking about things you definitely don't know about Sicily with my pal author, journalist, podcast or influencer Joe piazza. So, Joe, We've talked pistachios, We've talked tiny adorable elephants, we've talked Canoli's in space. So what fact do you want to end on?
Speaker 2: This is hard, This is really hard because I mean there's just there's so many wonderful things about Sicily to talk about. But we haven't talked about the Sicilian Arches of Bread festival yet, have we.
Speaker 3: No, Well, you need to know this.
Speaker 2: The Sicilian Arches of Bread festival is very similar to you know what.
Speaker 3: It sounds like.
Speaker 2: It's where the local people construct large structures out of bread and make chandeliers out of dates. Yeah, I mean, it's kind of like the American county fairs where you make stuff out of butter, but with bread. So you know, love that one. And then of course there's the the Icarus myth.
Speaker 3: You know that one.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really about Sicily because you know, Icarus got burned by the sun, his wings melted, he fell into the ocean and perished, but his dad, Datalus, allegedly landed in Sicily, frankly, in Culta Balota, the town where my family is from my town, and the legend is that he built the town of Caltablota to be amazed, much like the labyrinth that he constructed.
Speaker 3: There's a lot we can talk about, but give me, give me a b you go first, you tell me what you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Those are two great facts already, but I like that you've got a bigger one coming out were I do so. I know, we didn't really want to talk too much about the mafia, because you know, there's some more stuff out there. But I thought this was kind of funny. Apparently in the two thousands, the FBI realized that the American mob was sending their men to study abroad in Sicily. According to one source high up in the Sicilian mafia quote, they send them here to make them become men of honor, to make them practice because in America there's not that feel for values and there is no more respect, which I love that American mafia are traveling for these like master classes in Europe to become more honorable in their chosen line of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, my friend.
Speaker 2: I mean those original rules that the mafia had with regards to honor and respect were you didn't look at the wives of friends. You treat your wives and all women with respect, you answer questions truthfully, never be late for appointments.
Speaker 1: There was there was really punctuality.
Speaker 3: Punctuality was very important.
Speaker 2: There was honor baked into it, you know, also extortion, racketeering and murder. Actually, I do need to tell you. There's two main no mafia museums in Sicily. And you walk into the one in Corleone, which is the town where the Godfather allegedly from, and the first room you walk into is pictures of all of the natural beauty of Corleone, to try to say, this is what we're about. We're about these beautiful cathedrals. Where about these rolling hills and these vineyards. And then you walk into the second room and there's pictures of Francis Ford, Coppola and Mario Puzo on.
Speaker 3: A wall of shame, an actual wall of shame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is amazing. So tell me, how how do you want to end this?
Speaker 2: You know, like I said, there's a lot of ways that we could go. How about talking about one of the world's greatest scientists, a Sicilian you might know as Archimedes.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 3: It's funny because obviously the.
Speaker 2: Is one aspect of Sicily, and it's prominently known from movies like The Godfather. And I've got to say I was actually reading this site called Cecilia Anita, and the writer writes, quote, think of Sicily as a place that gave Europe a taste for sanguinelli, the blood oranges that grow only there, a place that made things sweet when the Arabs began to cultivate on its soil, that made it possible for Europeans to wrap their bodies in the luxurious feel of silk. Think of Sicily as the place where spring is born when Pluto releases Persephone from her infernal captivity. Yes, also also Persephone, the whole Persephone myth that takes place in Sicily too. And so the author goes on to point out that Sicily was first at a lot of things. The first volcano, scientists, the first solar clock, the first census, the first map of the world, the first labor union, the first cookbook. All of these things come from Sicily. And of course, as she pointed out, the ice cream. And then there is Archimedes of sarah Cusa. I mean, this guy figured out Pia. Okay, he figured out how to burn Roman ships by using metal to redirect the sun's rays. He discovered pulleys and levers and the idea of water displacement. And did you know that, like when he figured out water displacement, that is when this man ran through the streets naked after hopping out of his bath, shouting eureka.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And according to the legend, even though Roman soldiers were given orders not to kill him, when one did approach him, he was so deep in thought with calculations that he didn't see the assassin coming.
Speaker 6: That is so crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we're like first and everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, So even though you can think of Sicily as this great tourist attraction and land of incredible food and history and beaches and Greek ruins like it would just be nice if people remembered it as the land of math and science.
Speaker 1: That's really wonderful. I like that. And we started and ended on a science fact, so that's pretty great to that end. But I am, of course going to have to give you this week's trophy, Joe. Thank you so much for being here. It's really a pleasure to have you on.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I love it. I can talk about Sicily forever, my friend.
Speaker 1: Well, we can take that offline. But for those of you looking for a terrific beat read this summer, go out and buy The Sicilian Inheritance. I'm going to put the first episode of the podcast Joe made in our feed as well. And if you want to tell me something about your Sicilian heritage, things you learned on a trip to Sicily, or anything else, don't forget We get our emails sent to our moms at pet Genius moms at gmail dot com. They want to hear from you, and we want to hear from you from Will, Dylan, Joe and Me. We'll be back next week with a new episode.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Part Time Genius is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. This show is hosted by Will Pearson and Me Mongas Chatikler and research by our goodpal Mary Philip Sandy. Today's episode was engineered and produced by the wonderful Dylan Fagan with support.
Speaker 6: From Tyler Klang.
Speaker 1: The show is executive produced for iHeart by Katrina Norvel and Ali Perry, with social media support from Sasha Gay Trustee Dara Potts and Viney Shorey For more podcasts from Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.