Speaker 1: Here's where we are in the story of Fall River, Massachusetts, and the misfortune that has befallen it for almost two hundred years. In eighteen forty three, two little boys discovered a cannon behind a large warehouse and they ignited it. The dry conditions and nearby woodshavings created a firestorm, and the city was nearly ruined. Four people died, at least one of them probably from cardiac arrest, all because of two curious little boys who were never identified in the newspapers. But one of the little boys may have lived right across the street from the warehouse. It would make sense because that boy was ten year old William Darling, and he lived in the home with his mother, Eliza Hathaway Darling Borden, and his stepfather, Lodwick Borden, Andrew Borden's uncle. That made lod Wae Lizzie Borden's great uncle and Eliza her great aunt. We'll talk more about Eliza and her background in a bit, but first let's consider the strange coincidence of the great fire of Fall River in eighteen forty three and the Bordens living right across the street. Relative Carrie Nolty says, The connection is odd.
Speaker 2: They were there, they were living across the street from the block that was burned. It literally was across the street that everything just went up. And I mean she would have had a little boy who would have been in the neighborhood, probably playing, and there is every chance that it was her little boy by her first marriage that was one of the boys that started the conflagration.
Speaker 1: That sounds reasonable and heartbreaking for Fall River. Who could the people there really blame two little boys.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm sure it looked like a hell escape.
Speaker 2: People had to take others into their home and allow them to stay with them because their homes were burned, their businesses were burned, everything that they had was gone. It was I'm sure a time of immense pain and upheaval and grief and I'm sure guilt for whoever those two children that started the fire.
Speaker 3: And they never.
Speaker 2: Identified any other boys, those two boys, not that I could find. I would love to know, But that could have been for their own protection. Maybe they just didn't know who it was, and maybe they were trying to not let two little boys catch hell for burning an entire city down.
Speaker 1: So then when did curR incident happened.
Speaker 2: Elizas five years later, eighteen forty eight.
Speaker 1: More about that tragedy. Shortly, the Great Fire of eighteen forty three proved that one tiny decision could all and entire community. Forensic chemist Rachel Burks says that accidental fires are still common and still tragic, but no one should be blamed. There are a variety of reasons that they can happen.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we disregard the directions on the back of a bottle or you know, be careful about that.
Speaker 3: And it's like, yeah, these.
Speaker 4: Things happen if you're a real hot day and you lose power right for a lot of reasons, and the way you've stored something, we got to really take care And sometimes again it may be it's not malicious, it's just a mistake.
Speaker 3: It's just an unfortunate accident.
Speaker 1: And that's what happened that July afternoon at the back of the warehouse. An unfortunate accident.
Speaker 5: I mean, those kids, I don't know what happened, Like, yeah, I think setting off a cannon into a pile of fuel, But again, like the magnitude of.
Speaker 6: It is what you know may often don't think about.
Speaker 1: Rachel says that fire and water both represent something to people in history, and maybe that was the case with the fire of eighteen forty three.
Speaker 7: And the thing, of course with the fire imagery, which is very interesting, is the cleansing fire of biblical kind of connotation. And you know, of course it's it's nice for us to say we don't believe in that kind of stuff anymore.
Speaker 4: It's like, but a lot of them, a lot.
Speaker 6: Of people do.
Speaker 5: Actually people believe in like they're you know, the own iconography of the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: An accidental fire in the nineteenth century could destroy an entire town, as we've learned, and it can alter the way a town recovers and who gains power. Author Carol Robertson wrote the book on Lizzie Borden, The Trial of Lizzie bordon and she notes one last interesting thing about the fire in eighteen forty three and how it shifted things in Fall River. She says that the fire really changed the dynamics of power in what would soon become a very important and very wealthy mill town.
Speaker 6: You know, I remember it's being spellbound hearing this story when I first went there. You know, it's it's such a because there's so much. There's so much drama in it. You know, there are multiple marriages and this man dying in this spectacular way. You know, the fire is fascinating because it does rearrange the relative status of some of the families. You know, basically, like a handsome man marries Mary's a widow and he dies in the fire and leaves everything to his son. I think, you know, basically the money goes out of the family that it was supposed to be in, and I think it goes out of the Bordon family into the Durfy family, and you know, there's sort of ill will that existed for a lot of years after that.
Speaker 1: It turns out that Andrew and his uncle Lodwick Bordon were connected all the way back to Thomas Cornell Junior from our last season in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Carrie Nolty helps me out with the family line.
Speaker 2: So Thomas Cornell Junior and Sarah Cornell had a daughter who was born after he was hanged, and they named her Innocent, and I assumed for the seventeenth century she had a fairly normal childhood.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Innocent Cornell became a Bordon, like a lot of people did.
Speaker 2: She grew up and married a fellow townsperson named Richard Bordon, and they moved across the bay to the town that would eventually become Fall River, Massachusetts, and they just continued living and going on and they ended eventually had children.
Speaker 1: So were innocents and her husband.
Speaker 3: Is it Richard, yes?
Speaker 1: Were they the Bordons that made them move to Fall River or is there any family that came separately in.
Speaker 2: So Richard and Innocent Bordon they moved across the bay. They probably did come with some other family members because usually if people were moving, they moved in groups.
Speaker 3: So after a while, the.
Speaker 2: Bordon's proliferated in this area. So you would have a branch of the family that was quite well off, which you see really come to a head that kind of friction in the Lizzie Bordon story, and a branch of the family that were not.
Speaker 1: Carrie says that Richard and Innocent and eventually Andrew were from the branch that was not wealthy.
Speaker 2: They did not have the money, They were not really that well off. And part of that, I think is that with Innocent her father being hanged and her half brother older brothers inheriting all of his estate there really wasn't much.
Speaker 3: Left for her.
Speaker 1: Remember, after Thomas Cornell Junior was hanged, and Innocent was raised by her mother, Sarah Earle, and Sarah's second husband. But Carrie says Innocent might not have received much money even if Thomas had been acquitted and had retained the property.
Speaker 2: Not that women were left very much by their parents in this time period anyway, but especially being the daughter of a hanged criminal murderer and the daughter of an accused murderer, she probably wasn't very well off. It probably really set that branch of the family back in quite a bit of ways.
Speaker 1: Borden author Kara Robertson says that the lack of wealth affected most of the Burdons down the line, including Lizzie's father, Andrew.
Speaker 6: You know, not all of them prospered. And Andrew Borden's father was the fact that a fish pedler. You know, that's how low he had fallen, or at least his branch of the family had fallen.
Speaker 1: Kara says that despite the poor start, the Bordons flourished in fall River.
Speaker 6: The Borgans were among the founders of the town of fall River, and actually a member of the Bordon family owned the water rights to the Quickwachan River, which is a extremely important title.
Speaker 1: When the town was developing. The river was crucial.
Speaker 6: As a town like that is developing, and it's it's the river that ends up providing a lot of hydroelectric power. And through intermarriage with four or five other families, they basically end up controlling almost all the mills and any of the other factories in the area. And they all live in the same area, which is something called the Hill District in Fall River, which is the elite residential area.
Speaker 1: Kara says that the five families created a social club of sorts, and it seemed to be exclusive.
Speaker 6: And then they run their own little mini society with their you know gatherings that you would expect launching the young people and sort of ensuring the continuation of the line.
Speaker 1: But Fall River society was tough to break into, especially if you weren't a Barden or a Durfy or one of the other important families.
Speaker 6: So it's an odd mix of a place. There definitely codes in terms of how one is supposed to behave and how one is supposed to display their wealth. That makes it different from.
Speaker 1: New York I asked Kara for an example.
Speaker 6: There's a there's a great story of Detroit heiress who marries into Fall River society and she's taken aside by one of the matriarchs and told that her trousseau is a little dressy for Fall River, you know, because she'd had everything made in Paris, and so the advice is basically to leave it in a trunk to age for a little bit, you know, so she's not too a la mode. You know, there are there are Yankee characteristics, you know, of frugality and hard work, and you can't be too showing.
Speaker 1: Kara says that the five main Fall River families were very important to the city's history, and that similarly Fall River was very important to the Industrial Revolution in the mid eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 6: That's the thing about Fall River is that you know, they're five main families, but they're you know, there are a lot of branches. So in the same way that Andrew Borden is a bordon and that's one of the biggest names in Fall River, He's descended from a lesser line. So if you look at you know, if you look at cousins, first cousin, second cousins, that are, you know, they they begin with a much greater start in life.
Speaker 1: But not Andrew Borden. He was essentially a self made man.
Speaker 6: It's this weird combination where on the on the one hand, you sort of need the Yankee name to get in to be a possible player, but it doesn't count for that much without the money that goes with it.
Speaker 1: And now back to the other Burdens. Eliza and Lodwick came from the same family lines.
Speaker 2: Eliza and Lodwig were both descended from Martha Earl, which which was Sarah Earl's sister. Ludwig was also descended from Sarah Earl, and she was his great great great grandmother.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of history and a lot of intermingling. Local historian Jeff Balanger and Carrie Nolty talk about Lodwig's early marriage. He might have had the Bordon name, but he didn't have it easy.
Speaker 8: His bad luck started much earlier. So Eliza was not his first wife. Eliza was his second wife. His first wife died. They married in eighteen thirty three, Maria Maria Briggs. They had two children, both died in infancy.
Speaker 1: Maria Briggs was likely related to John Briggs remember him from last season. He was Rebecca Briggs. Cornell's brother, John Briggs was one of the founders of Portsmouth, Rhode Island. He was also the reason that Thomas Cornell Junior was first under suspicion for murdering his mother John Briggs and his ghostly dream. Now on to Eliza Darling Borden's personal history, Ashley Beiliro says that there aren't that many details to discover. I had done some research.
Speaker 9: Also, there's so little information about Eliza Liza there is.
Speaker 3: There's so little that I have found.
Speaker 9: I mean, obviously, if you're digging in you know the genealogy of it, you're going to come across.
Speaker 1: More luckily descendant. Carrie Nolty has done a lot of genealogy research on Eliza Darling bordon.
Speaker 2: So Eliza was born in eighteen eleven and she was the second girl and third child of a George Smith Hathaway and a Eliza Commoner Lions. And the interesting thing about George and Eliza it seems that George was born in Massachusetts in this area and then went to go get some work or perhaps was on a boat as a shipmate and was in New York City, where he met Eliza, and then they got married.
Speaker 1: George needed to support his new wife, so we went on the hunt for a job.
Speaker 2: George seemed to work at least part time as a person on a whaling boat. We have a record of him in eighteen eighteen sailing out on a whaling boat and returning in December of eighteen twenty.
Speaker 1: That was the life of a man on a whaling boat, leaving for two years or more and returning to a growing family if he returned at all. Whaling was very dangerous and many men perished at sea along with their crews. I love sea stories, especially those set in the late seventeen hundreds and early eighteen hundreds, when so many men left home to toil on the deck of a boat. Life on a whaling ship was isolated, just a ship full of men. Sometimes the captain's wife and children would join the crew on longer va voyages just to keep the family together. But this was a dangerous trip. Food and water would often go bad, the men would break out into fights because of the close quarters. Men of all ranks and races face danger from illness, injury, shipwrecks, drowning, even piracy there was an incredible amount of danger. When the crew would spot a whale, the sighting would lift their spirits for a little bit. The men would rush to catch the whale and then kill it and soon process it. Here's something about the history of whaling from the National Park Service. It describes exactly how George Hathaway made money. Whaling was said to be good money, but sailors quickly discovered the truth. They were paid not by a wage, but by a share of the profits. A low ranking sailor might get a half a percent of the final take or profit. However, the take was determined by the ship's owner, who deducted for the cost of the voyage. Many men got paid in advance in order to send money home to their families. Whalemen had to pay a share of the ship's provisions too. Any additional supplies that they needed bandages, medication, clothing, soap, tobacco had to be bought from the slop chest or the company store. If whalemen bought too many items or took too many advances, they might exceed their take and end up owing money at the end of the voyage. One of my earlier seasons of tenfold was set in Ramsa's Past, Texas. It was about the death of a young woman who was found buried on the beach. In order to build a profile of the town in the nineteen thirties, I interviewed the captain of a massive shrimp boat in the Gulf that would be out to sea for two or three months. He said that oftentimes the best crew members were people who had been incarcerated, because living in such quarters could be maddening. That was the life that Eliza Borden's father lived in the early eighteen hundreds. Carrie Nolty found a lot of that information in George Smith Hathaway's will. Interesting a few more details about Eliza's father.
Speaker 2: Oh, one thing I can say is that the name of the vessel that George Smith Hathaway sailed on in eighteen eighteen was the Independence, and we know that his age was thirty one.
Speaker 3: He had light skin and brown hair.
Speaker 1: I know that doesn't sound very specific, but when you do research in the eighteen hundreds, you often take what you can get. The new Bedford Whaling Museum retains a list of whaling crews, and George is listed as one of about twenty men who served on the crew. He was the oldest at thirty one, along with a few others. The listing also says that George lived in fair Haven, Massachusetts. I asked Carrie about Eliza Hathaway's siblings.
Speaker 2: There were a total of four or five children in Eliza's family, and unfortunately, her mother died when she was fairly young.
Speaker 1: Carrie says that Eliza Hathaway's mother died in eighteen twenty two, when Eliza was a child. That also wasn't unusual.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Eliza's mother, Eliza Lyon, died in eighteen twenty two when she was only eleven years old, and her father, we assume was on a.
Speaker 3: Ship standing elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Incidentally, we also found that in I want to say eighteen twenty or so, we have a record of him marrying another woman in Wales, Pembroke, Wales. So we don't know if Eliza and her siblings or any of George's family ever knew about that, what that might have done to them, but he's certainly had children with this other woman, and he himself died in eighteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Her mother and father were gone, and then there was more dying in Eliza's immediate family. I know I said that wasn't unusual in the eighteen hundreds, but this seemed to be one tragedy after another.
Speaker 2: We do know that in her father's family, along with her mother dying in eighteen twenty two, she had six aunts and uncles also die in the span of about a decade, so it was a rapid succession. Her uncle Humphrey died in eighteen twenty one, her uncle Jethro died in eighteen twenty four. Her uncle Stephen died also in eighteen twenty four. Her aunt Alice also died in eighteen twenty four. Hepsiba died in eighteen thirty, and Rebecca also died in eighteen thirty. Her grandfather, Stephen, George's father, also died in eighteen twenty five, and her grandmother, George's his mother, died in eighteen thirty one.
Speaker 6: Low Us.
Speaker 1: By the time Eliza Hathaway was in her late teens, she was alone and she knew that she needed to find a husband. As sad as that sounds, this was just before the mills and factories really began flourishing in New England. Women could gain a measure of independence as mill workers, but before then there were few options. Often they toiled on family farms, or they were employed as domestic workers for wealthier families. Women were expected to marry up if possible. Finding a husband would have been expected of Eliza because she was a woman from an upstanding family in Rhode Island, so she found one a man who seemed to have a promising future. She was nineteen and eighteen thirty when she married a miller named Silas Darling. He was four years older than she was, and Eliza Hathaway became Eliza Darling. They had two sons, William, the boy from the Fire, and his little brother, George Washington Darling. They were born within five years of the marriage, but sadly, George died when he was young, about five years old. That wasn't very unusual because there were various diseases that threatened the very young and the very old. We don't know a lot about Silas or his marriage to Eliza. Again, there's a lack of records from the early eighteen hundreds. Welcome to my world. I asked Carrie Nolty what she knew. We have any idea how many years it was.
Speaker 3: That they were married.
Speaker 2: They were married under ten years, so they did get married when she was about twenty years old. They had two children, one of whom died early. So this is both grandparents died, her son died, six aunts and uncles died, her mother died, and her father died.
Speaker 3: This is in a ten year period.
Speaker 1: And this is all in Fall River.
Speaker 3: This is all in Fall River.
Speaker 1: All that must have been traumatizing, especially losing her youngest son, George so early. But the tragedies didn't stop there for Eliza. In eighteen forty, her husband Silas died at the age of thirty three. We don't know how, and Eliza was left with seven year old William to raise on her own. Silas died in test state, which means he didn't have a will. I always find historical documents about wills interesting. Here's a bit about the details of Silas's estate. The details of the probate were published on December twenty first, eighteen forty, and it explains what Eliza had to file in order to receive money after her husband's death to the Honorable Oliver Prescott Esquire, Judge of Probate in and of the County of Bristol. This may certify that I Elizabeth Darling am the wife of Silas J. Darling, late of Fall River, deceased, and that your Honor would appoint Seth Darling of Fall River in said county and Bristol Administrator to settle the estate of my said husband, Silas J. Darling, signed Eliza Darling. In February eighteen forty one, Judge Prescott signed an order granting Elizabeth one hundred and fifty dollars out of the personal estate. Seth Darling was Eliza's father in law. Making him executor made sense because he was Silas's father and a justice of the peace. So one hundred and fifty dollars in eighteen forty is about five thousand dollars in today's money. It wasn't much. Miller's had humble incomes, so in eighteen forty Eliza had to start over, and she did with a local Fall River man. Sometime between eighteen forty and eighteen forty three, Lodwick Borden courted Eliza and they married when she was thirty two. This was such an interesting time period in Fall River because the economy was strong for many people there, especially the Bordens, including Lodwick.
Speaker 2: So this is in the boom of the Industrial Revolution. Fall River was a milltown, a port. It had a thriving business. It was right next to the center of whaling in New England. New Bedford.
Speaker 1: Carrie says that money was coming in hot and fast, and everything seemed to be going well.
Speaker 2: But as you do in the nineteenth century, there was a lot of death that came along with that, and that was just because of hygiene standards, epidemics. People didn't know how to treat. People would just die sometimes accidents doing dangerous activities. Whaling was incredibly dangerous, and working in the mills was really not that much better.
Speaker 1: And one year after the Great Fire of eighteen forty three, the Burdens began having babies. Lodwick had gotten Eliza pregnant three times very quickly, once in eighteen forty four, then in eighteen forty six, and finally again in eighteen forty seven. And remember she had given birth twice before in her previous marriage, at least twice that we know of.
Speaker 2: And then Eliza gets pregnant, and then she gets pregnant again, and then she gets pregnant again, and we don't know if there are any miscarriages in between.
Speaker 3: Any of those.
Speaker 1: Is Ludwick significantly older than Eliza.
Speaker 2: Now at this point, he's in his late thirties, like maybe in his early forties. It's pretty normal for this time period. And actually even this, you know nowadays, it wouldn't be looked askance if someone in his late thirties married somebody in their early thirties.
Speaker 8: Do you have a.
Speaker 1: Sense for what love what was his personality like? Because we have a great sense of andrew personality.
Speaker 3: I it's unclear.
Speaker 1: We do know a lot about Ludwick's nephew, Andrew, because he would eventually become one of the most famous murder victims in history. Author Kara Robertson says that Andrew was stubborn and stingy, and likely not a very affectionate father. The Burdons were staples in Fall River. Our Warden tour guide Ashley says that Andrew and his second wife had not yet moved into the house next door to Lodwick and Eliza, so.
Speaker 9: Andrew Borden didn't move into that house until eighteen seventy two. Before that, it was built in eighteen forty five for a Charles Trafton, but before eighteen forty five I'm pretty sure it was just an open lot.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was anything there.
Speaker 1: Eliza Darling Borden was overwhelmed in eighteen forty eight. She had three babies, all under the age of four. She had a fifteen year old son and a husband who was likely away a lot. There was tremendous stress from the fire. If her son William had been involved, there might have been tremendous guilt. Issa began to seem fragile, unable to cope at times. Living in the eighteen hundreds was very trying. Having children so close together was very trying, and being a Borden was not easy. This area is haunted, I'm sure of it. New England ghost expert Jeff Balanger agrees, and he knows why.
Speaker 8: Curses are everywhere first of all, But I think New England has a culture of preservation with our history. When you drive down our main streets, it looks like it did two hundred years ago, except there's like a few less Dunkin Donuts now just a couple less. But you know, there's towns where you're not allowed to paint your house on main street unless it's approved. The colors approved by the town so we preserve. We also hibernate in the winter, and that hibernation lends us to sharing stories and talking about things, gossiping and so on.
Speaker 1: Jeff jokes that some Southerners think some Northerners are a little cold and too practical. He disagrees.
Speaker 8: When I go to like La and someone's like, hey, let's be best friends, come over for Sunday dinner, I'm like, you could be an axe murderer. And then I'm like, well, I could be an ax murderer. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 8: And I think we're sort of slower to warm and maybe that's just our puritanical roots shining through.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, now we need to go over the other ghosts in full river, just the stories that we touch on this season.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's next?
Speaker 1: Morton expert Ashley Bulero lays out her spirited tour of the city.
Speaker 9: So after that, we stop pretty much across from the Government Center. It overlooks the Bragger Bridge. It was named after a Portuguese American man who died.
Speaker 3: In Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 9: But just below the brag of Bridge, in about fifty yards out there is a white and red striped lighthouse and that's called Bordon Flats. It was named after the Bordens that had numerous mills along the Tauton River. It was purchased privately in twenty ten and they turned it into an airbnb.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound very ghosty to me an Airbnb, but Ashley says it's haunted by a pair of ghosts.
Speaker 9: There's claims that there are two ghosts there. A Captain John Paul, who was the lightkeeper from nineteen twelve to nineteen twenty seven, and a little girl by the name of Lucy. Lucy was involved in a boating accident on the Tatton River. Captain John Paul sees this happening, he attempts to save her, but unfortunately she did pass away. The Mayor of Fall River gives Captain John Paul a medal of bravery in the attempted rescue. And we feel that maybe Captain John Paul is still there because he feels obligated to continue watching over the waters of the town river. And Lucy attached to the man that tried to save her life.
Speaker 1: Another curse and another haunting connected to the Bordon family. This is the creepy and wonderful part of the story.
Speaker 9: Captain John Paul is heard whistling in the living quarters, and Lucy is heard singing nursery rhymes throughout the lighthouse.
Speaker 1: Back to Eliza Darling Borden and her husband Lodwick. I asked Carrie Nolty about the family dynamic in eighteen forty eight years after the Great Fire, when tragedy strikes the burdens again.
Speaker 9: Okay, and she had a three year old, two year old in a sixty to nine month old.
Speaker 3: Yes, do we know.
Speaker 6: Anything about what happened in the days? Well what Ladwick.
Speaker 2: Ludwick worked as a miller in what we think is a lumber yard, which would have been one of the bigger employers in the area because of the shipbuilding and the boom in factory building that was going on in Massachusetts at that time.
Speaker 3: So he must have been just insanely busy, and.
Speaker 1: Being a miller was often dangerous exhausting work. The job was extremely physically demanding and it took a toll on the miller's body. They had to carry heavy sacks of grain up and downstairs to grind, oftentimes for flour. They also had to maintain all the mills machinery by hand. Lodwick likely worked very long hours for probably not a lot of money, particularly compared to his wealthy nephew Andrew a few decades later. So we've heard a lot that Lizzie Bourne's father, Andrew was wealthy, even though he didn't display that wealth. That was not the case for the Burdens.
Speaker 3: That preceded him. Now, they were working class people.
Speaker 2: They were just out there trying to scratch a living out. They Andrew, Lizzie's father, ended up making some shrewd investments early on in his career, but then he hoarded the money for lack of a better term, he really didn't spend it on very much.
Speaker 1: Except that Andrew Borden did value appearance, even the appearance of his two daughters.
Speaker 2: It says something about Andrew that he liked appearances because his daughters would be seen in that. But they didn't have indoor plumbing, they didn't have gas lighting, and you know, they still had to use an outhouse and bring in water, and they lived in a house that was converted from a boarding house, so it was in a working neighborhood. It was hardly luxurious, hardly befitting what I'm sure his daughters thought they deserved and what they wanted.
Speaker 1: Ashley Carrie and I talk about the histories of these homes.
Speaker 9: These are the only two houses on the street that date back to the murders and even longer.
Speaker 1: Carrie says that in eighteen forty eight, Eliza and Ludwick were living in their own home when work began construction on that boarding house that would eventually belong to Andrew Borden.
Speaker 2: Eighteen forty eight would have been right about the time that that house was built, and it was built by a Charles Trafton as a rooming house, so the house was divided into compartments, which.
Speaker 3: Makes it sort of maze like.
Speaker 2: And next door Lodwick owned that house next door. It was a little cape style house and he lived there with his second wife, Eliza, and her son William Wallace and their three children.
Speaker 3: In eighteen forty eight.
Speaker 1: Ludwick's job at the mill meant that Eliza was often left alone with their three young children and fifteen year old William. But remember Eliza must have understood that because her father, George, had been away at sea for much of her childhood. Even after her mother died after her third child, Eliza had grown increased, depressed, incredibly sad, much more than just the baby blues.
Speaker 9: Eliza Darling had three children back to back to back, and she was suffering from what we know now today as postpartum depression, and I think it took a big toll on her. And women back then weren't really allowed to talk about mental health. They probably would have been thrown into an institution if they mentioned, like, oh, I feel a certain way.
Speaker 1: Eliza appeared to be very religious, which will come into place soon. I asked Carrie about where this might have come from Eliza's religious beliefs before she married Ludwick. Carrie says that it's mostly a mystery, except that a clue might be found in Eliza's childhood.
Speaker 2: She was, like many young women, unfortunate in the fact that her parents, her mother died quite young, and we can only guess at where she ended up from that. We do know that New Bedford, where she grew up, that area of Massachusetts was undergoing a huge boom, and the United States itself was really transforming. There was a lot of religious fervor. The second grade Awakening was happening at the same time.
Speaker 1: In our next episode, we'll untangle this story, the story behind the tragedy of the Borden family. Eliza Hathaway Darling Borden is trapped at home. We don't know what her marriage to Lodwick is like, but he's likely gone a lot of the time. She's suffering from what was clearly postpartum depression, and now she's starting to say some concerning things.
Speaker 2: In May of eighteen forty eight, she had been expressing fears that everything was going to come crashing down around them, that they were going to be found in dire circumstances, even though the boom was happening and her husband wasn't good circumstance.
Speaker 1: What would happen to Eliza Borden this particular case, like most of the ones we've explored on Tinfold More Wicked, isn't open and shut. On the next episode of Tenfold War Wicked on exactly right.
Speaker 6: You know, there wasn't There wasn't any other or sinister explanation. It was seen as a family tragedy, and Lodowick had had more ordinary tragedies before he'd lost his first wife and children.
Speaker 10: But the big X factor that has been really ignored up until very recently, and We're only just scratching the surface. Now, is this massive chemistry that has shifted in the brain that in this particular woman has created depression.
Speaker 2: And the man's word was law, So just by virtue of custom, it was going to be an unequal situation.
Speaker 3: If you get a man in that kind.
Speaker 11: Of a situation who is brusque, who is uncaring, unfeeling, maybe manipulative or violent, that can be a recipe for disaster and you have almost no recourse because divorce is still shameful.
Speaker 1: If you love true crime, check out my books American Sherlock and All That Is Wicked. I also have an audio book called The Ghost Club. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club, and how he investigated England's most famous haunted house. This has been an exactly right tenfold more media production producer Jason Whaling, Senior producer Alexis m Rossi, consulting producer Kyle Ryan, sound designer Eric Friend, composer Curtis Heath, additional music Jeremy Buller, artwork Nick Toga. Executive producers Georgia Hartstark, Karen Kelgarriff and Danielle Kramer.