Speaker 1: Speaks to the planet.
Speaker 2: I go by the name of Charlamagne Tha God and guess what, I can't wait to see y'all at the third annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. That's right, We're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia, Saturday, April twenty six at Poeman Yards and it's hosted by none other than Decisions, Decisions Man, DyB and Weezy. Okay, we got the R and B Money podcast were taking Jay Valentine. You got the Women of All podcasts with Saray Jake Roberts, we got Good Mom's Bad Choices. Carrie Champion will be there with her next sports podcast, and the Trap Nerds podcast with more to be announced. And of course it's bigger than podcasts. We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses plus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, you don't want to miss this.
Speaker 2: Tap in and grab your tickets now at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival.
Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sinners Podcast with your hosts now fuck that with your load glasses Malone. So the tricky part is, right, is I don't really look at. So when I podcast, I don't do interviews. Like one thing I wanted to do with no seilings is not have like an interview like they like the audience. The population has enough interview ideas. I just wanted to have a normal conversation with people based off or whatever the thought is. So one of the greatest people that I have conversations with is Pete. Like Pete is somebody that's he's very knowledgeable in a lot of different things, but it really strong and then where I'm strong at, I'm strong at, but he's open like Pete is. This ain't the true definition, but this is my interpretation of definition through my experience of breathing. Their smart is the ability to talk. It's like a quick wit you could talk. Intellect is the ability to listen and process with your listen to and then to be able to respond to that. Peter's intelligent, Like Peter'll be open to some information. Like We've had multiple conversations today. I was on Twitter and I was telling somebody they was telling me about They were talking about gang culture, and I'm like, bro, they are so minimal things that separate gang culture from any level of street culture. And you'll have one hundred people that's upset that I'm distinguishing it. They'll be mad, and I'm like, because they want to be upset at gangs. They really want to feel like gangs are the issue in the community, not oppression, not poverty, not the lack of resources and opportunities, not the police force driving down. They like gangs right and specifically they kind of want to corner black people in games. They don't want to talk about al Capone, like Sherry. They don't want to talk about al Capone. They don't want to talk about the mafia. They don't want to talk about the same thing that's happen in East LA and then cycles. They don't talk about it. They don't want to talk about the hell. They want to hide it under the guise of them being black. Like I was talking to the Homie Champ today and I was telling him, you know, it's a brother I start building from Alabama. And I was explaining to him like he was like, well, I don't care about my people because I'm black. I'm like, how is it your people? He's like, well, them people come from Mexico. No, they were born in America, just like you, Like I think it's a lazy, irresponsible thing that sometimes brothers do. It's like, I only worry about black people. You have to be worried about humanity because some things go across the clear landscape of humanity and it lets you know that it's not an individual thing based off this. So if you could solve this problem for us, then you could solve the same problem for everybody else. So Pete said to them, He tweeted, he said, man, look, I was telling them that the same thing happened in Oakland happens in LA. There's no crips of bloods. The murder rate is just as high per capital. It's just as violent. Everything that you would like to think is the community itself. I'm like, there's no crips of blood, so why do you think that is? Intellect allows you to take what I'm saying and listen. Emotions make you think I'm defending it because I'm a crypt But if you think about everything happening in Oakland, he could tell you he lived up there. It's the same fucking thing. But it's also rooted in their ignorance, like most people's ignorance about what gang banging is about. Most people think it's about colors. They really saw the movie and it's like, all that's about colors. So that's how I built no seilings. I built it, you know, with Pete and the cousins, to have real conversation things with things in good conversations and good faith, where where you're hoping to learn in exchange a bunch of facts to create dialogue and thought, it's not meant to be entertaining. It just happens to be entertaining. I can make it way more entertaining.
Speaker 3: But do you think you'll be going against what you trying to build? Do you make it more entertaining?
Speaker 1: I mean I could put somebody that sit next to you and and they'll just argue with me for the sake of argue with me, And then at that point the polarity, the negative and the positive coming to each other makes it more powerful. I think the listener doesn't get anything from that, Okay, Like it's more important as a healthy sale to pass DNA genetic information. Just to pass information, that's the most important thing. So like we're trying to pass information that that's to me to go. So even if we're having a conversation that I'm wrapped up in which is what this thing was about. I'm having a conversation. I'll bring it right to the podcast to talk to Peter about. So like, if the concept is storytelling, right, and it's like, that's all marketing is is storytelling. Promotion is when I tell you the story if it's mine story. Publicity is when somebody else tell you the story. Advertising is when you pay for the story to be told. So like, even if I'm talking to Madi and I'm telling Madi right now, I'm like, man, Mady, this is what I need, Like you can hear, I'm gonna walk it down and she's gonna be like, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, she's telling me in this time, like the conversation, the story needs to be very intriguing. She said that to you, She said, yeah, because it mattered you know who the first person is that validates the story, and then you can move a story based off who validated thing about that. She said that, Remember I just said that. I said, it's one thing if you get TMZ, it's another thing you get the breakfast club or iHeart right, But then there's still the work to take that story to everybody in between see the belief that we've been doing business own. Like I told you earlier, I was telling Pete, excuse me, Pete, I was telling King. I was like, that's like, if I open up a weed store and people like to smoke weed, I think people supposed to come through the door. Marketing is the reason people come through the door. The tricky is people think you come to the door because you want to get some weed. That's minute part of the population. Marketing might be that you panked the front of this motherfucker with a big ass cannabis leaf looked like the front of the Chronic album covered that make motherfuckers walk in. That's marketing. That's telling the story to anybody that sees the front of that building. This got something to do with weed, marijuana.
Speaker 4: That's why every weed shop in the first like ten years that they had weed shops had some sort of play on words about smoking weed as the title name of the shop.
Speaker 1: No Selings, Jail, Come my Brother Peter, Boss in the house. Another episode, No Breaks, got King of Things in the house. What's up Ken, what's happening Pete? Okay, So that's the goal. The goal is to tell the story. So it's like when you asked me, what did I do wrong with cancel? Specifically cancel. So when we first right before we first met, when I first started learning all of this stuff, I was picking up records, like I always told you, I was picking up hip hop. Then I got to marketing. We met when I was starting to pick up hip hop. So at that point it's like you study, study, study, study, study, and then you do these things that are tests. Right, That good was my first test on record, and then it being my first independent hit record. It was a regional record, but it's my first hit record independently. My MOA was just us. The proof of hip hop was glass House Too. When people heard it, they could hear the culture in it. They I knew what to do, like I I got it. I know what's happening. And then the marketing proof was when I did Tupac Months Die. Remember I was like, man, it's gonna be the most talked about song on the internet for twenty four hours, and that mother fucking up being the most talked about song on the internet for twos maybe even a month. But it's all because now I'm not sacrificing no part of my brand. I don't gotta give no, I don't give nothing. I lean into my brand more. When everybody feels like they need to run away, I lean into my brand even more than before. That's the trick. I leans into that shit. I'm not running away from shit this crip. Yeah, whatever you think that mean. To some people, they think it's like, oh, that means you're gonna snatch your old lady purpose. That's they ignorance, you know what I mean. They don't know. They like, what does that mean? It means you you're gonna kill somebody that wears red. They all kind of ridiculous shit. But it's not their fault they ignorant. But it's also my job to That's what makes me so valuable in the marketplace. I can fill in the gray area. Now, there's gonna be a population of people that act like they don't care. That's just a fact. They're gonna act like they don't care. It's a population of people that, oh my god, you know, they feel the threat of how cool that's being, and they tired of not being cool themselves. Oh you know, fuck glasses, the creps. What they did every special to Homie asked me that he was like, Yo, what's the benefit of being a crip? And I'm like, the benefit, Like, I don't do most of the stuff in my life to be the benefit. But you know, I'm sure it's the level of camaraderie. It's a level of opportunity to actually hustle. Like in la you can't just be hustling in everybody neighborhood. You got to have a relationship. I mean, motherfuckers ain't let you monetize their community for free, just like american't let you monetize this country for free. So the point I'm saying is it's like you have to kind of see it. So the difference what canceled is I knew how to make the content right. I made a great body of work. Canceled These Nuts is really a solid body of work. Like definitely on the top half of my project follow You by a four, it's really good. But from the promotional angle, I just depended on podcasting. Like a lot of people that that has a that have a product, right that they depend on just going around on a podcast to it right. People they telling everybody, here's I'm gonna use my brand and then you're gonna be interested in my brand, and I'm gonna tell you at the end, gonna listen to my album and that's gonna work. Right. I stop at the breakfast club, I'll stop at you know, brilliant Idiots. I'll stop at you know, uh eighty five South. I'll go to the Bay.
Speaker 4: Traditional press tour concept, huh, like the traditional press tour concept when they drop a book, when they drop an album, they got a movie coming out all the rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So it's like that was something cool, right, So that was my only promotion. There was nothing else that wasn't no promotion. The music videos and promotion, but even that point, the way I saw it, once you do a music video on YouTube, you're not promoting anymore. You're giving away the product. Like the inception of music videos was all about you putting something on television that you didn't have, like you were able to get you got privy to a new song, Like you looked at the TV and you heard that song. The only way you could have that song on command to be at a player wherever you want to after that was to go to the store and buy the song. And they made you buy a whole album. They didn't even let you buy the song, like you got to buy this whole straight out of Compton and Master.
Speaker 4: Pigmate, you buy twenty two songs and seven skits. So it was quite a commitment, you like.
Speaker 1: So it's like that was the point, right. So the only way I could hear this song, if I liked this song with that brand that I just saw on the television, was to go to the record store and buy it today on YouTube if I give you the music video, you stream from YouTube. So you play your music from YouTube and they pay you a whapp in one cent per ten plays, one cent a penny for ten plays. That's crazy, right. So it's like I didn't calculate that. So when I dropped you know, some for some for bitches, or when I dropped tra like, I didn't calculate that. I didn't think about that. I was like, Okay, well, if it's gonna do two to three million like Kanye fit me, then I can make it work. But it didn't. They was like, yeah, we're not finna move this nowhere. You need to advertise. Yeah, you need to fiz some money into this, you know what I'm saying. So one thing was I didn't really have the promotion outside of the press tour the proverbial like PI said, the press tour or just the videos. I was thinking about something else too, right, like YouTube like MTV might have charge you five or six thousand dollars to slay the video to put a video inside their system. Right, that's what you paid for. You paid for the video, then you prayed the slaty. So it's not like me advertising a video is doing too much. The trick, though, is to not advertise a video and then give you the song at the same time explain that you can't put the video on fucking YouTube first, okay, because if you put the video on YouTube, I gave you the song, okay, So you gotta put it out without visuals first. But that's where it get tricky, you know what I mean. That's where I'm that Nigga and other people gotta figure it out because when they see what I'm doing, that's the plan. Okay. But I'm telling you that's the problem.
Speaker 4: You gotta sell your horses in the stable. You can't let them flee the barn first and then try to sell them when they're gone.
Speaker 1: That means my idea, I can't give it to people because it's my idea. They gotta pay me, and it's not gonna work for everybody. Neither. My idea ain't gonna work. I had to figure out the idea for them after I'm done with this presentation. Man, some problem. Contina should be hiring me to be her motherfucking in turn, to take her position that she you know, when she when she get out of the business. That's how good I should be a product manager at some company at this point, you know what I mean. That's how I see the game. So if you gonna see me talk to the best people in our field, you're gonna see me talk to the best executive. If I'm talking to Brian Turner, it's gonna make more sense. If I'm talking to Madi, who's a publicist. Job she did with Tory Lang in Credible, it's gonna be an impressive conversation. If I talk to a distribution company, it's gonna be an impressive conversation. Hell, if I talk to Doctor Dre about records, it's gonna be an impressive conversation. If I talk to Lord Jamar about hip hop, it's gonna be an impressive conversation. Because I care. I put way too much effort in it. So the separation from cancel to what I'm about to do coming up is like I'm no longer trying to figure it out. M And that's why I like when you feel like, forgive me for lack of better terms. If I snap at you, I'm not snapping, nigga. How dare you question it? You feel now? That's raggedy. Don't get me wrong, and I get it. I'm supposed to, but I talk, but no, I see why the greatest niggas are that way. I see why Kanye is that crazy. I see why niggas is like, Nigga, you ain't put in nowhere near this to be talking to me, nigga. That's how I feel about creeping nigga. What the fuck like, Nigga, Go get baby gangster. You know what I'm saying. Go get get nigg you on the phone. Niggas ain't nigga. Go get my nigga girch. Go go get some homie, go get something, go get plucked, go get moon, go get some older homies. You niggas don't give a fuck enough to be talking to me about this. That's so so when I'm telling you. I'm like, man, this poster, this is the campaign. I want to drop this poster here. You're like, well, you know, I don't know because Nigga, what, No, don't take that picture. We're not gonna take that. It's not a picture. I'm not saying you're wrong. King Olivia's soul. Bro, I swim on my mother. Bro, you're not wrong, but go ahead. But I'm saying it because I know, yeah, now you could build everything I saw on top of it. I'm sure it's gonna be a challenge that you want me to do it because this is what I do. And no, I don't want you to do it. That's not what I'm saying. That what I'm saying, I'm saying it comes across to everybody else like arrogance or like like Cherry said, I'm being a dictator. I'm not because I'm not talking to you about who gonna win to chatter if you say who won win the finals, I can't be like, yeah, the Knicks is gonna win. Here it is boom and I know Nigga now want you I wouldn't bet on it? Well, not straight up.
Speaker 4: That happened me A couple of times, like I've hung out with Malcolm and some people and aside from the fact act like if I make jokes, they can be a little sharp, but also like I have no no patience and stupid, not well read loud opinions. I just I don't have the patience to take them off. So like fella, last couple of times, like we hung out with some people and they say some shit, he just looks.
Speaker 1: At me like, please don't embarrass me.
Speaker 4: Man, yeah, and I know, and like this is your friends, but like he'll just kind of go just just no, not today.
Speaker 1: But I get can't feel and getting older, like it makes sense, like you know what I mean If you don't ask me, nigga, I'm telling you. So it's like, Nigga, I gave up everything to know what I know. Now I am up for listen. If you say something, I'm ana listen. But if it's say some bullshit, the first thing I'm about to them to cuss you out. You made me listen to this ship when I just gave you this soul fly shit that took me seventeen years to figure out. You're gonna tell me just think you said.
Speaker 4: I had a question from earlier from like we were talking about before we got on, because he had mentioned like the time gap between Kanye and Cancel. Yeah, and obviously there's a lot of factors, say, like you know, you and Kendrick aim for like your most pinnacle quality of artistic output, which with each project. Yeah, and I would say, you guys are also both older than like like you were doing your thing and then social media happened. You weren't born into the social media ecosystem.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Do you think that a good portion or at least the younger portion of.
Speaker 1: Hip hop is.
Speaker 4: You Maybe you could make the case like suffering from low quality, high quantity, or at least being framed by the fact that you see, all right, this is good enough to to consume or be consumed, but we have to just keep putting out fives on a scale of one to ten, just all the time, the way like you see girls trying to build a massive social media portfolio of like as bouncing videos. Just low quality, stupid ship. We're putting out three a day, all the time, all the time. Put it out all the time, like like the Curtis le may fire bombing thousands of bombs a day, versus just one nuke and then end it?
Speaker 1: Do I think so? So I don't want to say that.
Speaker 4: Is that in my head?
Speaker 1: Or is that? Like? No, I don't want to say local, you're not tripping, but I don't want to say low quality. It's like an NBA Young Boys, like the Father. It is NBA Young. We got so many goddamn songs, so many that motherfucker probably got one hundred plaques. Welcome home, because I know you came home. You know I'm happy for you. Do the most with your time out. Go make it happen, bro, because you your wizard. It's like he understands right now. I don't know if you understgive me that's not That may not be true, but this goes to that theory that hip hop is street urban culture personified through the arts. So where it may not have the literature or the English technique some other hip hop artists have, the culture is so heavy with it that's all you really need to move it across the landscape so people can enjoy it. Because whether people know it or not, Pete, they're coming for the culture. They not coming for the English technique. They not coming for the metaphors. The punchlines and similes, even though historically they have found that in certain artists usually.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that the quality suffers on everything, well, at least comparatively, Like some guys are really good. You can put you can put stuff out, good quality, you know, out of your mouth, uh, and good volume. I think maybe it's more so on the musical side.
Speaker 1: We're talking about like.
Speaker 4: I'm talking songs like like I said, of putting out like the Chronic and then two thousand, like they're eight years apart when they hit. They hit like you know, with with metric tonnage, just putting out like decent enough songs all the all the all the time, and the songs kind of sound the same. You might be rapping phenomenally on them, but the songs are just a just an ocean of Honda civics just boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, answering the question is yes, but well I guess there is no but yes, yes, that's like that's.
Speaker 4: Led to where like there's a few songs have a good sound and then people just make similar ish sounding beats just in huge volumes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, yes that's happening. Yes, why is that happened. Everything else is harder, which made harder to find producers, harder to find different music, or to make the chronic of two thousand. To make the chronic or two thousand and one is hard. But can you just make good music? You don't have to make the chronic, But can you make good music? What's good? I guess? I mean it appears like if you young boy, young boys dropping a song, he dropped one hundred songs in the year them, then, so how can you be great overall with one hundred songs? Well, I think his greatness is measured differently. His greatness is measured in his cultural appeal, and then the songs just become away for you to vote that you fuck with him culturally. Yeah, but you go ahead, you'll find something you like in the songs if you put out one hundred. Yes, I say what I'm saying, like people support young boy because I noticed this as soon as we got the phones in our hand. You know what I'm saying. As we got phones in our hands, it made everything what we see, not what we hear. So all you have to do is deliver what you see in my ears, so it don't have to be they don't have to master what you hear. This ain't you know pre phone ever, where a visual took longer to travel like a picture. There were certain artists I didn't even know what they looked like, and I knew some of their songs. A god was like that for a long time. Most people that know Bobby Carwell was a white man, right, people didn't know that. Now it's the exact opposite. I know who a lot of these people are and never heard a song. Because of how we consume, you know, entertainment, It's changed. It's all in my hand and I see everything it's like right now. One of the biggest and greatest mistakes of No Feelings not being this really huge podcast because I think me and pe conversations will go as big as Joe or anybody else conversations is we don't just have a simple visual component. Now it couldn't be as simple as like what we do with the live stream, whereas it's kind of like underproduced idea needs to be produced to some degree. Part of the thing. Pete moved to Florida, so is like trying to figure that out, it's really tedious, and then creating a set that would give off something special, right, It's like huff But that's we're probably missing out on ninety percent of the shit we could have. And I mean ninety percent. We're probably at ten percent potential. A lot of other shows don't they do like interviews and stuff. That's something you don't really want to do. It's not the interview part. Like I could sit down and have a conversation with too short. We don't got an interview it if you can sit down and have a conversation with Shaq, I just ain't trying to ask you, you know, like unless it falls within the conversation, Like the goal ain't to come in and know no siblings, ain't to come in and probe you. Yeah, nigga, you could join in what we're talking about. And I learned that from brilliant idiots. I learned that from Scholtz and Charlotte Mane. Like they just be having a conversation, they jump jump in ge like double dutch. You know what I'm saying. And when he kept trying to get me to do a podcast, that's how I believe in podcasts. Shout out to Jack Recipes, the podcast God About to Chris and all the other podcast text on all the other god the podcast gods. But to me, that's what real. Joe Budden's just conversation. So I hang my hat on it. I'm not here to interview people ask you about your songs, and you're right. Every a lot of people they just sit back and just talk to the person versus letting people see this person talk about something else. He always put a lot of pressure on still about that, like, don't turn against the chronicles into an interview platform. You're not. You're not Donnie Simpson. So that's the job. Storytelling is the job on every level, So even on the promotional levels. Telling you the story. So if the posters look a certain way, they want it, and they look a certain way, how do I convey want it through a poster? Now you see the poster, it makes sense, right, How do I convey the title of the song wanted? All right? How do I convey the title of the wanted song through publicity? How do I convey the advertisement? How do I make it work the greatest levels? I can make that work at the greatest levels means more people get exposed to the campaign. So what separates cancel from this one particularly is just my mentality going into it, like I made the record a little bit more unique to fit the landscape of the day. Like Pete was saying, like I'm mindful of even now this was the last part. I wasn't even mindful the streaming. In twenty twenty three, I made traditional records from you know that Ray Charles created the whole traditional hook bridge, you know verse shit. You know we've been making that style of record now for I don't know seventy years, and it's like, but we may don't have the medium or the structure that that created to even market it. So now we're stuck marketing. Even when I'm telling Mardy like that's why she was honest, she was like she was like, yeah, it changed a lot, Like you really got to have something now, You really got to have something now. I mean other than that, people are gonna be like, you need to pay me to expose your shit. People offer me ads and shit, and they like, man, you got to post it on your page too. What they they offering me? A story? You got to posts on your place? Nigga? You are you why I could tell my own people that shit? You want me to say? You know what, I'm saying. So it's like you have to understand that's marketing in the nutshell, it's just really great storytelling. And once you get that, you know what I mean, you can make it work. Now you know exactly who to go to, what to tell them, what you need from him, and what they should be doing. And then if somebody really fuck with you, like Mady so a big part, like Greg is my nigga, Like Greg the publishers, Greg is like my guy. Mady is like, really my sist. This is really my friend too, like Greg is. We built the relationship me and Maighty before we did every did we never did business. That's just really been my dog. And she'll be honest with me. And if anybody else don't cut me some slacks, she'll cut me the most slack. Greg would too what I mean, But Mady is like, you know, that's really my dog. So it's like, you know, finding rounding up the best storytellers, you know what I mean? In advertising, my nigga Drew that work with joining the Luka shout out to Army Drew. Drew was one of the best stories tellers when it comes to advertising. Not the content, sheer just shifting the conversation out there, making it worth less than a cent per engagement, less than a cent per engagement, less than a cent per engagement. So think about it. That means one dollar means one hundred eyes eyeballs less shit, maybe two hundred eyeballs for one hundred you know, all the way to ten dollars. And that's the thing. So you really gotta when you're trying to market something, you gotta figure out what's the story that's gonna make people interested and then round up the best storytellers you can get. Shout out to the Tommy Jagbamb Right, Jagbamb is one of the best street team guys on the promotional level. So even though I can create how to tell this story through this promotional poster, right, we figured that out, Right now, I need somebody to go out and tell help me tell that story, put it to where that story will convey it matter the most to the people that see it, because it ain't as simple as making a poster cousin and putting that poster in church that might not work out. You can't just have the little Kim hardcore poster in church that might not get what you trying to get she got that thing bust open, spread eagle. You feel me? That might not be cool at church. You may not get CD sales because of that. You might get some outred, but you might not get no CD seid one thing. Like I said, I'd be really upset at Kanye a lot right because and I don't know why I should expect Kanye be Kanye. It's Kanye. But I think he really gets how to make He gets how to garner major level of publicity on independent status by the antics he do. I mean, if you use the term antics, I mean he's just saying something now. He don't have a fear of the repercussion of how people gonna feel about it. He probably knows something more than most of us know. But you know, in my situation, like I said, I wouldn't galvanize an audience to not listen to him. I'm just not gonna fuck with him when I'm not. I'm not going to fuck with that new project. You have to do better, show me something that I should care about there, like the last project, I don't care if you go number one. I'm not the traditional listener, you know what I mean? The story of you going number one or making the Billboard charts mean nothing to me. I ain't never saw no motherfucking body who made a Billboard charge that person number one. I need to go listen to the project, and I ain't listen to a Traviscott project. Still. I heard about eight Travis Scott song. I ain't never heard a Travis Scott song. Shut out the travel. I'm not talking shit for I'm not telling shit no for real, because I've never heard a Travis Scott song that maybe want to listen to the album. I've heard Traviscott songs that I enjoy and be banging. But nigga, just because you got album don't mean I gotta listen to it. A nigga, he thank you, sick mo, thank you, this is your song. I appreciate that. The jams I don't know. I don't gnna fuck with albums own is because it's his brands and the product itself. Okay, Like like for example, right Pete, it's fair to say, like like if somebody got a good piece of fried chicken and now they're selling uh burgers. Yeah, I'm not buying burgers from Kentucky. Mm hmm fuck no ho the fuck? How good. I like your original recipe chicken. I'm not buying no fucking burgers from y'all. Fuck out of here. I won't even buy the chicken sandwich from me.
Speaker 4: Really, that's one of the funniest phenomenons. And I guess they all seem to survive. But you know Papao, the company out in Houston. Yeah, well they've got like Papa's Barbecued, They've got Papa's Mexican Food, like or like text mex or whatever like that. There's a whole series of different genres of type of restaurants under the Papa's umbrella. And I'm amazed that, like the I mean, I guess I don't. I haven't eaten it. If they might be terrific, but you're.
Speaker 1: Like the marketing person like me, like I actually judge your marketing. So too many papa scare you with different.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that because they got different, different things going on. But sometimes it's like, what's the what's the what's the expression of a master of none? You want to trade oh jack wads, master of nuns. Yeah, you start to become the cheesecake factory. We got seventy five I's on the menu and another of Murney good.
Speaker 1: And the only thing good is the fucking cheesecake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which incidentally is going down their thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we're gonna make this fire and we're gonna have a bunch of regular ship.
Speaker 4: Just give some dinner. It's all about the dessert. Throw it.
Speaker 1: And that's how they should marketing. Who cares about the dinner. You come for the dessert. That that's just to get you to the dessert menu.
Speaker 4: We just gave you that to We're just we're giving you a justification for eating this cheesecake.
Speaker 1: They should charge sixty dollars for the cheesecake and it comes with dinner for free.
Speaker 4: I think you're I think you're on something.
Speaker 3: I have to think about it too, Like.
Speaker 1: Hey, come to cheesecake factory where dinner is free with every slice of cheesecake. Yeah, it could work. All that nasty as ship. You can pick off that and sorry cheesecake, because I know I'm on your sh I had that chefer's part. You need to be ashamed of yourself. But that's how that's how good the food is not The food is not that good. But if they focus on cheesecake, like every order you get free dinner with your cheesecake. You got us, Like that's one thing. Like I stand on being a crypt from the West Coast. Now I do let other people's ignorre kind of control them because I really ain't tripping like whatever, like what you really want? That's the way that move. Originally you started that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, buy this water and get a cigarette for free.
Speaker 1: That's true. True, And everybody used to make a lot of people used to make people bring their own cigarettes, like now you gotta bring your own new Ports. I got Sherman. That's where the name sharm come from. Sherman cigarettes and brown cigarettes. Oh interesting, that's what the brown cigarettes is called Sherman. Yeah, so that's where the term sherm weirdose had brown cigarettes when I was young, Well that's what you used to dip them all, because I guess I don't know. I did the white paper ones. I had to ask the older hummies, why do they select.
Speaker 4: Sherm confused and smoke the rog cigarette?
Speaker 1: Probably so they okay, Yeah, I got to the plaint. I got to the point where I started dipping anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I seen white ones dipp and all that kind of stuff, but not I dipped your blunt at the brown. You ain't getting no five or ten dollars deal with no blunt.
Speaker 1: That's twenty hit this motherfucker cause you know that blunt, soak up all your God damn it was dipping blunts. So yeah, damn they was going hard. And then that we was touching that tac strogg Yeah weed to call that hurr game.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So it's like just leaning on it and understanding your job as a storyteller.
Speaker 3: So you think with storytelling, now you gotta start adding stuff to it, like products or something in your storytelling so people could take something with them.
Speaker 1: For me, I just feel like it needs to be immersive, you know what I mean, Like you gotta really do it. You ain't no more half stepping, and so what's immersive and not half stepping to you? So, like, if my goal was to leak a snippet, right, if i'm i'm I'm I'm gonna use this video as a vessel to market to something, right, as a vessel to not even market to expose this because you were on the phone and you need to see everything first. So if that's a vessel to expose even building up to the release of the vessel of how I want you to see it need to be just as tedious like the average person right there, just put up you know, not dissing them. They're not wrong. They'll just put a picture of a wave on air. Ig listen to my new snippet. No no, no, no, no cuss glass low hip hop all the way in like this. I'm gonna make it a part of the video. I'm gonna build the video out more. I'm not just gonna let y'all have this house. That's the video. You come in this yard, No no, no, I'm putting grass down. I'm put a gate around it, put a basketball court and the pool in the backyard. When you're leaving, it's a pool in the backyard. I'm gonna build it out for the fans, so so motherfucker that wanna have some dope shit could be wrapped up into it and give them more things to talk about. I feel like you gotta go all the way. You know what I'm saying. People want it all, they don't They not taking just part of it no more. It's music itself, just part of it now. I mean, yes, music was its own product, but you take somebody like Larry June, Like a lot of Larry June's business is like you know, like good job Larry talking about people with the job, or get healthy and juicing, or you know what I mean. It's a million other things, and it's a full emotion immercial world. Same thing with like the Russell Like they give you a full immersive experience. You fully engulfed in the experience of whatever they doing. They brand and then the music just become an extension of the brand. M My shit is different because I still make fucking joints. Though my shit could live on its own. You don't need me to be there at the highest level, Like I don't got to be with the record. The record could go on his own. People will be like, oh, I didn't know that was your song. Yeah, I'm good that good at making records. People tell me all the time that God, I didn't know that good was yourself. Damn that is you. I used to be Nigga that because it wasn't important. The product itself was specialized and learn how to make the best product of record first. A lot of other people specialize in how to market their brand. That was nip thing that was like nip Shit was brand, the Russell was brand their brand. Guys, I'm a record guy that understood finally, Like, oh, y'all want me to be the nigga for real? Okay, well, y'all can't shit really can't nobody even be this nigga like this? No, Like this is like I'm the last of a few. You know what I'm saying, Like, oh you you oh you really want to see it? Oh you want to see the whole thing I got you here it is? This would have looked like so you think you got everything?
Speaker 3: Now the totality of what needs to be done, from the records to the business.
Speaker 1: Side to the most stripped down minimals still ain't great. Like still one person. But should I send at the top dog the dude Doff from TD, Like, look at this, he ain't said one thing back. I'm gonna call his ass soon as I get off this podcest What you tak I call stress stretch? Can I do this and that? Like? You still have to keep us er? Now I have to ask Pete people you to get his market. Pete don't give a fuck, but he might see one thing, you know what I mean to be like yeah, what about this, So you still got to use your resources, you know what I mean? And and thank god, I'm not the smartest person I know. Thank God, I just know a lot of smarter people. But it's like I know at the I know at the basic level, at the oct to put his level, what needs to happen. I know where all eight arms, I know where all eight tentacles need to be. I know exactly what's the story. You know what I mean, and who the story needs to be told to. And then after that story told to that person, now I understand you need to go tell everybody else under that person that story. That's gonna be the reason that they tell the story for you. That's important to know. I can even size it up based off impressions at this point. I know what I'm gonna stream based off impressions at this point, Like if I get this many impressions, i'ma streaming this much Like this is how much I believe in the math of the business. So it it I paid. I gave up a lot of years to get to this point, for probably very little years, but I'm finna run this bitch into the ground until the end though, I mean even if it was eighteen months that sacrifice was worth it. Like this became like my first love is drag racing. If you have to give that up for this, Yeah, this is my second love. But you learned to love this, right. Yeah. I didn't love it at first. Yeah, I love drag racing. At the beginning, I wanted to know everything that was know about it. Hip hop not so much. It was just like my mom used to listen to the song blah blah blah, but I didn't really know what it was about. I didn't really know what about. I always knew what racing was about. I always knew the math and racing always knew it was way more to it, Like I always knew with hip hop, I didn't quite know that.
Speaker 3: But hip hop being so like time's frustrating. What made you start loving is because just just who you are, it's just culture. Well, it wasn't frustrating. That's probably from my view. I mean, from my view of hip hop is frustrating to me. You know at times, I've never been frustrated by it.
Speaker 1: I just so what I knew that when I fell in love is when I realized somebody made something for people like me. Okay, you know what I mean. Like when I went to the Bronx and talked to some of them old spades and different people, it was made for people like me. I talked to crazyness, shut out the crazy legs. He was like, g Na, we was just like you, bro, we would stick up kids da da. That shit put it on my heart like differently, like oh wow, this is really something special for niggas that came through this traumatic experience like me, me, And they made just to express what's like coming through that experience and how you find pride in comraderie, and that's what hip hop was. And I was like, damn, So now it went from just being something personal that I love and enjoy doing to something I wanted to protect and defend and I wanted to be there for the next group of people that came up like me.
Speaker 3: It's so funny that you say that, because when I went with you back through you know, the United States, like you did, I didn't know nothing about real black culture outside of where I was sure, you know.
Speaker 1: But then when I went back there and seen that, it made me much different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it made me want to do something, you know, as a whole and not as just in Tacoma or something made me want to just like as a whole now when I've seen that Pete.
Speaker 1: So we go hang out with coming from GS nine right in Brooklyn, just nine as were Bobbie murdered, you know, was claiming the ship. We went to jail. So King got all this crazy you know Washington where you know, Washington got that really good environment, you know what I mean, like they got the best atmosphere to grow shit, and I mean or it's like weed weed. So we standing around talking to some Homi, shout out to a couple of homies from over there at the time. We politics we sitting out in Middle Street, no different than we sit on the West Hub, and they just blowing. They got a circle blow. He's like, yeah, this will ill be on right here. So King's smoking past it. They got around to the second time, pass it. They want to go around the third time. Why did this nigga just faint? This New York is this Brooklyn nigga just ain't it? I was like, I want the league and I'm like, oh my god, we s gonna catch a case. What Fudy got this nigga? This motherfucker West Coast weed. Man, this, Oh my god, we go to prison. Shout out to the homies from jes nine because he he hopped up after he was for fun though. That was some fun times that year. Going through that all the places, I learned a lot and you realize it's just like us. Yeah, it was crazy. That's why. That's why when people be trying to tell me about game, cause I'm like, nah, nigga, you can't tell me. I'm really fucked away, Like no, you do really around like nigga, I'm not you know, I'm not there. I love my people, man, I'm hanging out with the hommies from from one and the Bronx Dog. I'm in a back chiller shooting dice fuck with man. I'm not nigga. I love my people. I love black people. I look at fuck how poor we is? I fuck which ghetto? I love us? Pete, Pete, can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think he had us in a barber shop that I seen like on forty eight hours months later, like this is where he had me at motherfuckers walking around with pistols. When police driving around seventy eleven, They're like, it's okay over here, what you mean. It's okay, you got pollice, some pistols all around here.
Speaker 1: Leaving this blackness. I don't get fuck with none of these beings talking about Yeah black my whole life. I've been ghetto my whole life, and I'm go fuck with everybody to gettigga when you get killed, ship, I don't live long enough, nigga. But I am not running from black people, bro, I am not. I'm I'm fucking my people's man. I be enamored that they just like us. I mean that youte motherfuckers three thousand miles away and be on this bus.
Speaker 4: Shit, it's a good thing. Jobs isn't here to hear this.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Job's called me out to call John's back.
Speaker 4: God damn, we're gonna have to crop this piece and send it to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah facts, but uh man, I was trade man. I'll just be posting up with my people's man, like I'm posting up with my people's man. I'm chilling. I'm with my peoples right now. Man. That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: I see how that's the brand or like you say, your brand, that's your brand, like that it's part of your brand to go anywhere and be with your people and not have no fear or nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean, because I ain't getting nothing to none of these niggas. Yeah, that's how I feel like I heard. Uh it's a cat named Myran Refresh and Fit podcast. You're talking about Myron is so mad at black people, like all you niggas and Nigga Tree and I'm like, you know, you can't be around you niggas. Could up? What are you talking? I've never got that. I never got that. I never when I was in the Bronx. When we was in the Bronx, it was I that one round fifty cent neighborhood, like I owned the house around the smother So with y'all, bro, Oh yeah, I'm glad I'm alone. Oh West Coast, Yeah, watch up with it, my nigga. Yeah, man, I'm coming to the fucking around. I wanted to feel, bro, I wanted to be around in the area. Oh ah, you're trying to get on that hip hop Yes, son, I'm in Queen's. What's up with y'all?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Like, like, nigga, what so what if a nigga want to spot at the end of the day, I hate that whole thing, Pete, Like if a nigga want to squabble. What a nigga want to try? Like what Pete?
Speaker 3: He was there by hisself at times with nobody else. Pete like by himself.
Speaker 1: Man, I lost my people's man, I don't just fun what these people talking about. I love my peoples, bro, I don't give fuck. We in Detroit and the ghetto, and we was at a bar and Detroit and the ghetto. Man, Man, what I'm with my people. If I'm gonna go out, this is how I want to die. I want to die with my peoples anywhere. If I'm gonna die, If I ain't gonna die more das let me die with my people for me. That's cool, you know what I mean. I just I don't see that fear in us. I don't look at us as these predators. Like it's a love about us. And I got that love when I went out there, Like it wasn't like that Pete. I got that love. I got that love, bro. It was like, damn you really posted yeah, man, it was like cool. It was like, damn, get what we're doing. We're in the projects and Jorgy shut out to Armie Free the army, Bro. We're in the Project and Jorgey just chilling. What's up with y'all? You only went to the projects in every state in the projects and Jersey with the great streets, and it's like, what show with y'all? My nigga show with y'all. Nigga like watch up g man, oh g O. I'm like, man, this nigga said on George on b A nigga sad on Brandon in Jersey. Nigga in Jersey's nigga said on George and Brandon, So you know, I'm enamored that we're so close, three thousand miles away, like like you know what I mean, Like everybody can frown, but I love. I love the fact that we're so close. Like I feel like when I as a rapper, like that's my New York thing, even though I do West Coast hip hop, that's something New York gave me, give me and I and I want to make sure they impressed with what I'm doing with it. It's y'all, just like when I go over there, they want to show me how they doing that things with their communities and trying to organize and put together their own little street gangs to protect each other and stand up. They care what I thought? You see how deep our ten trade day g is we out here? Becuz? Oh great, cause I see y'all for real too. Back the three thousand miles three thousand miles of Port Wemember, we're in Memphis. This niggas are gonna gray old baby lo. What do you y'all? We are talking about here with brothers? We had the street racers. We say with y'all, men, what something?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, y' I'm gonna get my caught. We're gonna figure it out. We're gonna make this thing. I'm in Kentucky, man, I mean Louisville. Stay with y'all. That's what hip hop is supposed to do. It's supposed to bring you closer to brothers in all these ghettos. It's supposed to make the mainstream America understand our plfe a little bit more. They supposed Tupac made them understand our plife a little bit more. They was like, you know, niggas ain't that bad. You know that Tupac nigga. You know they understand our feel mean like that shit matter cuse like, and niggas don't get that's what this is for. They still be trying to use it selfishly to try to get rich. You know what I mean. Like, don't get me wrong, it's some paper to get what I'm saying. It's so much more to it that can happen, and we can mobilize the whole country, This whole fly as shit, even with cribs like nigga. When I went to New York, nigga, we shot that video. Niggas crips everywhere, niggag, that's a nigga. Look at this is three thousand miles away and the brothers is united together? Or video was that you shot there east side? Yeah, shout out to my brother went and the brothers united. It brought us together. It's a belief that a tear is aparted. Don't trust me. The niggas who wasn't together in La wasn't together way before crips and bloods came about. They was not together already. This is not terrible part. Any further, they was gonna still be like, well, man, them niggas live over there, off slosson them. Niggas live over there off Western man them a nigga. You could use any tidy you want to. People just gonna find separations, I mean and distance. It's just how it worked.
Speaker 4: I think that so to me, like, well, like Miami is not a city that really has that. In Oaklands dot of city that really has like blood and crypt type things going on, you know.
Speaker 1: But most of all do. But they still got the same shit happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just gonna say, the only differentially that I see is the intergenerationality of one particular like name.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, like the same situation pops up and then it kind of expires, and the same situation pops up from the same courtyard in front of the same building. After that one expires and does the same thing until that expires. It just does it with different names in.
Speaker 1: The postal one. But the whole time, even when you think of the gray stries, right, it feel like shut up to the homies. It feel like everything is gray sty. People don't really know the grace. That's not the first like idea of Gray Street. The first Gray Street is watched Wady of grat They got they got east Side kids, they got Jordan down, they got Jordan down, gangs. They had two other games in between that one. Then Gray Street came along, right, then they got gangs under Grave Street, right, they got baby low that's niggas older than me, baby loas older than they was just baby loads at the time. Then they got the niggas that's my age, the Peter Rol niggas or the Dustail niggas or the paro Leae and these are all gangs within that place. They feel like it's all a sign. But them niggas a fight and shoot and hurt each other too. You go to the niggas and guards. They got lot. They got lots in line, like the parking lot, Like these niggas from this parking lot versus these niggas that hang out off of this street, the deuce line one hundred and thirty, one hundred and twelve versus the niggas that be in this parking lot. Then you got the block, the block Boys, which is out of the projects, so the Bell Havens which is out of the project. So it's like it's the same thing. But again if everybody from the outside or they just grape streets, it just looked like nothing. But again that's the point of hip hop, Like I could give people sub the nuances to make them see that they not that different. That's what I'm supposed to be doing. That's why I'm here. That's why God put me through all the stuff he put me through. That's why God really put me through this stuff. We're gonna be able to convey that this new project I conveyed what's gonna blow everybody back. Pause is when I actually dropped this and it be a big deal and everybody gotta go back and listen and realize I've been doing this. That's gonna fuck everybody. Man, this nigga really been on this ship, so you know what I mean. That's when it's gonna for me. It's more or less like God always gave me a level of intellect, so it made everything always a little bit more challenging. I could never take the cheap way. What you mean by pause? That's the New York Ship fuck with hummies and hartum.
Speaker 3: Okay he said bloody back and said pause. That tripped me out.
Speaker 1: That means that's telling you I don't mean it in a sexual way. Okay, Yeah, it's like some Harlem sh It's New York Ship. I don't know, hal shit, A bad bad why you laugh peaks just.
Speaker 4: The whole nature of it. It kind of replaced what was the previous iteration of that.
Speaker 1: Something kind of like that. So that's all. That's all it is. I focus on that more than anything. So that's why a lot of times the things that's going on inside of my mind come right to the podcast, because really, these are things that can help people with their every day life. This is something peak it help me with. I can say one thing, people like, man, gee, I thought about that? Did that?
Speaker 2: Or that?
Speaker 1: Man? Somebody can hear this podcast and be able to tap in be like man, gee, that's a good point. I thought this that And the third you do get some of the people that like man, that was brilliant. But you know, you're really putting out the information so people could use it to they benefit. They're looking out for tuning into the Note Senters podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. It produced about the Black Effect podcast network and not heard radio year