Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from biggiees Balls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. Anonymous let your fear fuel you. Sometimes when we approach new situations or new ideas or a new lifestyle, fear tends to show up first and talk us out of it. Oh you're never going to be able to learn how to swim, you're too old.
Speaker 2: Oh you can't change.
Speaker 1: Your life around after forty because your metabolism slows down.
Speaker 2: Oh you can't. We talk ourselves out.
Speaker 1: Of it before we even visualize seeing us in where it is we want to be. Instead of allowing fear to stop you, allow fear to fuel you into your dreams. Prove fear wrong and stop having conversation with fear and have conversation with courage. Today, I will spend time with courage and ex out fear.
Speaker 2: Before we get started.
Speaker 1: I like to remind everyone to go to Krackical Network to view seasons one and two of my show Inside the Black Box that I co host with the great Emmy Award winning Joe Morton. Look out for news on season three soon. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I am always super excited when I have my friend friends on the show because these people know me in my early stages in the embryo stages of my casting director career, and I'm knew them as well, and to see them still working and pursuing and achieving.
Speaker 2: This is what it's all about for me.
Speaker 1: So, ladies and gentlemen, we have another multi hyphenated person in the house our yet today I want you to stand up and please put your hands together for Parnell Hollow.
Speaker 3: Hello, everybody. How you guys doing out there? Man?
Speaker 1: I earlier audience, we were talking about how we have been trying to get together really since I started the podcast because.
Speaker 2: I followed him, followed his career. I'm gonna let him take us back because.
Speaker 1: Today I was thinking to myself, I felt like it wasn't acting that when I first met you, it was comedy because I was really embedded in the lady.
Speaker 3: Yes, nineties, That's exactly what it was.
Speaker 2: Club Village, Yes, oh my god, Caroline stand up all of those. So I'm gonna let you tell it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So my first encounter with missus Tracy Moore, actually at that time it was fifty more Marabell you know, if you don't mind me bringing that up, that's what the full name was to talk about hyphenated, right, talk about hyphenated. But yes, that's who I met back then, and I was with another comedian at the time, and they with Jonathan Martin. Him and I we kind of traveled together and we joined your class, and it was in Manhattan. You were right there on Eighth Avenue, right across from Madison Square Garden, one of those hotels. I forget which one, but that's where we went to meet you. And we had a wonderful experience in your class. It was about comedy, but you were teaching us how to be in the moment, how to you know, have stage presence, and all of those things that come with acting skills. It comes naturally, I guess as an actor you have that stage present but for comedians sometimes it's such a one on one delivery.
Speaker 3: Between you and the audience that we forget that.
Speaker 4: Sometimes that stage is a big place and you have to move around sometimes and and you know, make your eyes bigger, or just adjust yourself a little bit more to get the lass that you want.
Speaker 3: So that was my first encounter with you, and I've never forgotten you.
Speaker 4: I always followed you, always to see what you were doing, directing the different things you were doing. I said, Wow, one day the last time I met you, when we cross paths again.
Speaker 3: You were in the black.
Speaker 4: Box and we're doing you were doing it with Malik Yoba. Was there, Yes, I came there with another writer director named Michelle England. We came to your show there and we got to see my friend John Laster, the other comedian, John Laster. You know John, You love John. He was a great guy.
Speaker 3: Woman the cloud for you and and that was my other time catching up with you right away, like in person.
Speaker 4: And ever since then, I've just been following you here on your cast. What you're doing an amazing job. Congratulations to thank you.
Speaker 1: So you know that I'm always champion actors.
Speaker 2: I mean, I kind of my career started with comedians.
Speaker 1: The thing that I love about comedians is that you guys don't get a chance to exercise the dramatic muscle, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I feel like.
Speaker 1: Our best actors are comedians, Our best dramatic actors are comedians.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: It's just I want to start with comedy because you know, that's a tough gig. Man Like we can talk about TV and philm we can talk about haapp into a large or even an intimate group of people that you.
Speaker 4: Don't know, and I don't know them at all. Bunny Bone, Yeah, that's not an easy job.
Speaker 3: You are correct. I've been at it since.
Speaker 4: Like nineteen ninety A ball parked right around nineteen ninety is when I first started getting on stage. I was from New Jersey. I live in New York now, but you know New Jersey right across the water.
Speaker 3: But I grew up.
Speaker 4: Under the Bob Summoners and they had the Peppermint Lounge and Bill Bellamy was hosting, and I didn't realize what I was walking into.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to get on stage. I wanted to be a part of that big moment.
Speaker 4: And my very first time on stage, I had a great set. It was my first time on stage. I had a great set. So I was like, Wow, maybe this is I'm a natural.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm thinking I'm a natural. So I come back two weeks later. I'm all excited.
Speaker 4: I come back two weeks later and I tell a guy, hey, I got some new material. I want to try again. I went up there and I did not have such a great time. So then that let me know that, Okay, you can't take this for granted. That's for one You cannot take these moments for granted.
Speaker 3: You think that it's just easy.
Speaker 4: You're going to jump on stage and just everybody's going to love you willy nilly.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work that way. You have to really put effort into it.
Speaker 4: You're writing, you have to shorten some things, take words out, AdWords in, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to make the joke pop sometimes, you know.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, because again this is to me.
Speaker 1: You master this craft, like you know, this is live, This isn't cut playback line, this is once you by yourself. You can't blame nobody else, nobody else on that and touching and you. The other thing is I feel like I saw you at when you said, Bob Sumner, they had the first annual awards.
Speaker 2: It was in Harlem, Paul.
Speaker 3: I was there, Okay, yeah, I was at that event. I was there at that event.
Speaker 4: I didn't perform at that particular event, but I was at the world famous Apollo is where I actually performed at the Apollo a couple of years back now, probably about three years or so back.
Speaker 3: But it was a wonderful experience.
Speaker 4: Bob Summer once again put me in position to the name the Marquis. You know, the whole nine yards, you know, burn the holloway right there on the I was in heaven, you know what I mean. As a comedian, that's one place you definitely want to do a great job, you know, at the Apollo, and I've been fortunate enough to travel around with them.
Speaker 3: You know her very well. Talent the comedian from New York, I know that's your guy.
Speaker 2: I know, Talent from Boston comedy clubs.
Speaker 3: That's where I met him too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where I started my career basically under his wing. He took me to the Mohigan Son and he took me around to different places, and he gave me that little bit of confidence I needed to like kind of go out on my own and just start doing shows. And then he still kept me in his loop, but I was building my.
Speaker 3: Own report with people.
Speaker 4: You know, this business becomes more about relationships than you imagine. It's always about relationships at.
Speaker 5: The end of the day.
Speaker 4: So if you think you're going to go somewhere and treat people like not so nice and think it's going to you're gonna be good to know you have to.
Speaker 3: Be very mindful of your behavior out here.
Speaker 4: Even if if you think you're a celebrity or not, whatever you think you are, you still have a code of conduct in this business.
Speaker 1: I want to piggyback off of that because that's beautiful, a code of conduct, that's so beautiful. And this is a business as well, and your reputation precedes you. Someone said to me the other day, it's who you know, and I said, I've been in this business over forty years. I can say I know a lot of people. But if they don't know me, they're not picking.
Speaker 2: Up the phone. So it's who knows you how to respond to you.
Speaker 1: And people like Purnell, I'm an acting coach, right, celebrity acting coach or in that title, but I am a celebrity acting coach. Was on the set just the month of May, on two different sets with two different clients, and oh my god, so blessed had such a great time. However, what I'm noticing, and you know, just in transitioning into his acting career, you guys, because I told you he was multi hyphenated, and he's a writer.
Speaker 2: You heard that too.
Speaker 1: He's a writer, he writes his jokes, he's just an overall creative being. But the pressures do you feel the pressures since COVID being on sets where you have one take maybe two where it's moving quite fast. Because I was on Lifetime, which was fifteen days.
Speaker 2: And it was doing and you got one take maybe two right, yes, even the leads. And then I was on.
Speaker 1: Naked Gun and I was coaching Buster Rhymes and he had eight to ten takes on some wow.
Speaker 3: Okay okay.
Speaker 4: So I honestly a lot of things that I've done so far in film, I haven't had to worry too much of the takes right. I'm pretty much fortunate for me every project that I've done so far, I've had people reach out to me based on my pastwork.
Speaker 3: Right, I have an audition for very long things.
Speaker 4: I have not auditioned for very many things, but I've been in about maybe eight major projects that I feel are good for my career.
Speaker 3: You know, things that helped me as an actor.
Speaker 4: I started off with stage plays, like like almost I think most actors start off with stage plays because it gives you that in the moment, you can't go back, there's no you know, there's no mistakes. You know you have to get it right. And that's one thing that trains your mind to be on point.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I was in.
Speaker 4: My first stage play was with a woman named Stats Cordero. She wrote a stage play called Poor Girl, Rich Girl, and we did that play for.
Speaker 3: About three years.
Speaker 4: We went up and down the East Coast, taking it to different cities and where, you know, working out craft and it was such a wonderful experience. It led to me getting into film, which I thought film was easy because like, wow, you get a chance to do it over.
Speaker 1: Really, I love all out line to the script.
Speaker 3: Supervisor right, People do that right.
Speaker 4: And so I was so into the stage world that I was ended up being the guy with the one take. They didn't have to do two and three and four takes because I already knew that we need to nail this thing. We get it right if we get it right the first time. Sometimes they just want one for safety, you know.
Speaker 3: But if you get it right the first time, they're.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, let's move on, let's keep going, you know what I mean, Let's not waste any more time on that.
Speaker 3: And so I've been very fortunate.
Speaker 4: I started off with a guy named Saladin Nork in a film called Nicknames. It's an independent project, but my character I literally had two minutes on screen right when I mean when they you know, when you see the Melbury, I'm literally on screen only about two minutes, but it was an impact of two minutes. We really remember my character. When the movie was over, They're like, hey, Uncle Boom, that's calling me Uncle Boom like and that meant so much to me. And I was so I was so grateful for that two minutes the screen time when I actually saw it, right, I mean, it took longer to film it, but you know, with the.
Speaker 3: Editing and everything right.
Speaker 4: And then my very next project, I kid you not, I got.
Speaker 3: A leading role.
Speaker 4: I was a character named Shapiro, Rudy Shapiro, in something called bum Rush.
Speaker 3: The series. It was a group of from Poor Girl, Rich Girl.
Speaker 4: The same actors from Poor Girl, Rich Girls are in bum Rush, Yes, and dre Foreman and J. V. Simmons, they were two of the characters from Poor Girl, Rich Girl. And they wrote bum Rush and they thought of my character and they said, we want you to play Rudy Shapiro. We don't want anybody else to play this character. And everybody else had to audition this and that, but like I said, they just chose me, and luckily, I'm very proud of the work we did there. Even though, like I said, all of the work I've done thus far has been pretty much independent projects. The only thing I've done that was not like independent was too commercials that I got.
Speaker 3: You know, I had what is it? It was like, get your New York sports here. It's like, I forget.
Speaker 4: I think it's something with the older New York sports. I was one of the Jets characters right, one of the sports teams and air for about air for about one year on different programs, and you know, it was very nice. Yeah, I was very happy. And then I got a b Et commercial right after that. It was just a b Et They had that like a where you can uh watch it on your on your phone, Like I said, I you have Bet at the house.
Speaker 3: You can now watch it on your phone. It was like one of those things.
Speaker 4: And that was the second commercial I ever got, and that was pretty much national.
Speaker 3: So I was very excited. You know, this is all happening very fast for me. So I was like, wow, this is great, you know. And even when I well.
Speaker 1: I was going to say it just goes. I wanted to go back to you know, you said, you had two minutes on screen. It's not about quantity, it's about the quality of work that people resonate with.
Speaker 2: And so you know, I feel like that was a confirmation to.
Speaker 1: You from the cast, like we need more, not only to be more a character, we need to develop a storyline so that is accredited to your work and continue. That's why you continue to work out here. I wanted to and this is what I wanted.
Speaker 2: To talk to you about because.
Speaker 1: The other things that I will always remember, regardless of the fact that we don't see each other all the time, every time I see you, even on Instagram, you are smile.
Speaker 2: I've never ever forgotten your smile.
Speaker 1: You resonate love and light and energy with you.
Speaker 2: Just actors, there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Comedians and actors that he's helped in his path as well. So known in the industry by so many people, and that's important because at the end of the day, the truth is, we will not remember everybody's credits, will remember this type of person that they were, And like you said, relationships, that means something that matters.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Yeah, one hundred percent, it does.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you I was gonna say piggyback on the relationship thing. I did some work for a woman. The project never got completed. That's something I want to talk about when we go as actors. Sometimes you give your all and you're hoping to get something for your real or to see the project and it's finished phases and some people never finished the project. It just you know, there's nothing you can really do about that. Things happen, They lose it. Something happened to the hard drive, something happened with the sound wasn't right.
Speaker 3: We got to go back.
Speaker 4: So some things you're not going to always get every bit of the work that you put out there. But that one person who couldn't finish the project, she referred me to someone else and that led to me working with this person for almost seven years now.
Speaker 3: We started a show. It was called Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a show called Juicy the series and a young lady named Zoe Taylor. She's the writer and her father is the cameraman. He films it, edits. It puts everything together. Their mother, father and daughter, they all do this together. And I was so happy to meet them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I never worked with a family of people that you know, they knew. The daughter had a talent for writing, and she had a passion for film. So the father said, you know what, let me learn how to work this camera. And they all learned the business as they were going, and we're still doing it like. Juicy the series is in its seventh season now, and I have a spin off show.
Speaker 3: Yes well, Juicy right now is on too B TV.
Speaker 4: It's on too B TV all sixth series, all six seasons, and season seven will be coming out after my other show, Bishop and Cheney.
Speaker 3: Season two comes out this Thursday.
Speaker 4: And after Bishop and Cheney, they're gonna put season seven of Juicy the series out.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I am still watching its Juicy the series.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, my character and Juicy is the series. I play an FBI agent. I play a character named Frank Bishop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's how I got My spin off show is called Bishop and Cheney, which is partner right, so we got season one is already on TV, and because we started our fan base on YouTube, we're gonna we're gonna start showing season two on YouTube first because we have a fan base already from YouTube, and then once in complete there, then we're gonna take it back.
Speaker 3: To to B for season two put it on to B as well.
Speaker 1: Now I need to let the audience know one the too, B is getting money and financing projects. So I feel like that's a very very smart idea.
Speaker 2: For to be and you.
Speaker 1: You know, I just I love the fact that the universe is confirming to.
Speaker 2: You who you are as the tax Man.
Speaker 1: It's like, Okay, I have this series Juicy, and then to the spin off of my character to get but new so they can't get enough. They want to see more, and there's nothing like wanting to see more.
Speaker 4: So one hundred percent, Ever since I've been watching TV, right when I when I really don't know, let's say, let's say Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favorite comedies, right.
Speaker 4: And then when he got his first movie that you always think about three movie deals, right, like trading places and then something else and then there's something else. So I always felt that way with the Juicy leading to the spinoff show, I say, wow, this is this is what it should feel like, you know, And even a major scale as an actor, it still gives.
Speaker 3: Me that that movement forward that I need.
Speaker 4: And I appreciate everybody that's been a part of the project and all the support that they give me as an actor, and I'm even going to take some.
Speaker 3: More courses with you. I'm going to study again more with you. And here's the kick. Check this out.
Speaker 4: I have three grandsons right well, three in Texas. Two of them are twelve, one is twelve, one is eleven. They both wanted to get into it, think right, So guess what my daughter. Guess who my daughter signed them up with. You know her, Wendy. Wendy, Wendy the acting coach from New Jersey. Yeah, I was the way these circles were starting to connect. I just felt so blessed that God God found the way that my grandchildren had show of interest and my daughter didn't deny them. They said, okay, you have an interest in acting. Wow, I'm going to get you an acting coach. And Wendy was there for them and they did a few things with her.
Speaker 3: That was very proud of them. You know. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that I'm still in touch with Wendy after all these years. Wendy was night current Twinkie. I trained on New Jersey Drive and that.
Speaker 2: Was that's right, ninety two two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A long time, right, And.
Speaker 2: I recommend her as well. So I'm glad hundred Yeah, you gotta. And I tell people all the time you need to do your due diligence on people that you work with, and they need to be current because again, being on two sets last month, there's things that are evolving like and you have to learn. And let me tell you something. Two things that the producer told me down there. One is that the memorization game has to be on point. And two, Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: Shoots extremely fast and unorthodoxed, so sixteen episodes in three weeks and so or whatever his schedule. But I'm just saying that people have found a way. You know, we grew up at a time where four to six weeks low budget film.
Speaker 2: That's low budget, you know, But seventeen twenty days shooting features or theories, Wow, and it can get done.
Speaker 1: However, my question, because I champion actors, will always be who's offers.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a good question.
Speaker 6: You also, well, this is a question to you because if you also come from the school of sitting and your winning and waiting for somebody to knock on your.
Speaker 2: Door and tell you, Parnell, you got sixteen.
Speaker 1: Minutes whatever, whatever, you in there perusing through your lines.
Speaker 2: You don't have that luxury anymore on these sets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, a lot of those things are no longer there. You have to almost walk on the set ready to go, like from the time you get there, and hope that you know, like you said, learning your lines and knowing your lines. I have a big thing with when I'm in a scene with more than three people, I would love for us to, like, before we get anywhere, if we could exchange any kind of information numbers, let's let's run the lines while we're you know, not on set. Don't wait till we get here to start saying, okay, let's run. I really like to prepare and because you never know, like you got to have those right beats, you know, you always talk about beats and letting it breathe and riots, you know, like every word doesn't have to be right on top of each other, so depending on what it is. And so I believe in that wholeheartedly. So I always love to work with actors who don't mind. They're not too you know, if you will, not too cocky to think that they don't have to do this anymore. So I know my line as long as you know your lines. I know my line, that's not you know. It makes for a much better scene when you guys know kind of how you're going to be going in and out, and it makes it just much much better. And it makes it good for the camera crew because they can get it done and they can move on and move on to other shots and angles and everything else.
Speaker 2: Well, And I also I agree with everything you said. I also think that.
Speaker 1: You know whether you're getting you know, ten dollars or you know ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: The preparation is what's going to create and parlay your next gig.
Speaker 1: So I feel like, what are you doing, Like once that check clears and.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, you get that white script?
Speaker 1: Like, what else are you doing other than Because Joe Morton he is a director as well, and he says when he comes on a set and he sees actors with scripts, he takes them out of their hands because it's like, well, unless you make a note, we're not running lines past running lines.
Speaker 2: You need to know who this character is.
Speaker 1: You need to know you know those Because I love what you said.
Speaker 2: Two things.
Speaker 1: One, I always encourage my clients to go to lunch, especially if they're in a relationship in the film, spend some time with each other. Y, yeah, create that because you can't create that. And again, these sets are moving fast. Can you really create all that energy in that moment.
Speaker 2: When you're doing on pay?
Speaker 1: And then the other thing is, again, you have created such a stellar work ethic for yourself that you're not going to be way when you know bad Boy five or you know breaks Anatomy, you know Law and Order, you're not going to be sway because you already have that work ethic in you. How important is and we touched, but can you let our audience of actors and creative how important is training from you transitioning from stand up to TV and film.
Speaker 4: I truly think training is one hundred percent of the right way to go. You know, there is such a thing as being unnatural, but when you have the overall training from the right people about the business by.
Speaker 3: Understanding all the ins and outs of it.
Speaker 4: As you're learning your lines, you know, the lines are one thing, that's that's one thing.
Speaker 3: But creating the character, like.
Speaker 4: You said, all of these things, that's what you get in in the training, That's what you understand how to break the character down does it.
Speaker 3: Does a character walk with a limp? Do you give them do you have a little bit of a lisp? Like I always try to think, because.
Speaker 4: I'm both headed, I always think that I have to do something really special. I have to give myself that to give myself a feeling that I'm playing someone different, because there's been quite a few times where my my image doesn't change a lot. But I played a priest, I played a I played a bad guy, I played a FBI agent.
Speaker 3: But they're all different.
Speaker 4: If you watch, if you watch my work, you'll see each character has its own own thing, you know. And that's what I love about it, you know, And that came from the training.
Speaker 1: But that that also comes from I think as a comedian, you guys are super observant in behavior and you ease drop on dialogue.
Speaker 2: One thing all comedian is that I know and love great and recreating or imitating in person.
Speaker 3: That is true. That is also a.
Speaker 2: Body like the little details.
Speaker 1: So I would think that trans that transfers over to you wanting to create a character that might.
Speaker 2: Have a scar or like, yeah, a priest.
Speaker 1: You know, you remind me of a bishop, you know, especially with the necklace that you have on right now. I feel very bishop vibes from you. So, you know, is that a part of it, extracting certain behaviors and dial Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, it's a big, big part of it. My most recent film that I've been right now, it's going to be on YouTube till the end of June. It's called He's All I Need. He's All I Need. It's a faith based film. Yes, He's All I Need. And I play Pastor Douglas in this particular project, and it's a great story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I play a pastor in two different films, but each one is totally different, you know, each pastor totally different. One was a little more flamboyant in his deliveries and the other one was mundane and more laid back but still effective, with a little bit of funny and more serious.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I was able to balance the serious and the funny together. And I'm just, I just I'm so grateful.
Speaker 3: I think one minute, I just want to say this right now.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, thank you, Dear God for all the many blessings that you have placed upon me and my family.
Speaker 3: I asked that you continue to watch over me.
Speaker 4: And all my loved ones and my friends and give us your guidance and your strength each day.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 4: I just want to say that, Yeah, I just had to catch myself. But I'm so humbled and peul by everything he's done for me.
Speaker 1: And gratitude is magic. That is the magic that increases, you know. I tell my granddaughter all the time to bring her awareness, to bring her get her grounded and footed and her footing that you know, when you appreciate love what you have, it increases. But you have to appreciate love really, like I think, well, listen, yesterday I light went out, I had a light bulb, I had a surplus.
Speaker 2: I was like, thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, thank you. I'm not in the dark right.
Speaker 1: So it's like everything always thank you, thank you. This as Spruce said Blue by Parnell.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh wow, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 1: At one point I forgot we were doing the podcast, and I was just like, we do it.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to give you. I know you're gonna pack. Listen, I'm following you with a bag.
Speaker 3: Okay, no problem, Okay, no problem.
Speaker 1: So three minutes tell them what they need to know.
Speaker 2: What is that thing that you want.
Speaker 3: Them to know about me?
Speaker 1: About that about acting stand up just in terms of succeeding, because you are a true example of that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I think I think first of all, you really have to decideed this what you want to do. You know, some people get into things just to you know, they want to try it out, see how it feels or whatever. But I knew a long time ago that this is something I'm going to be doing. I mean, it hasn't been anything overnight in no way, shape or form. But every time you go to perform or do I'm talking between comedy and acting, whatever fill you're in, if you're going to perform, give one hundred percent. There's no reason to like go half, you know, try to let mail it in as they say, or just walk through the motions. You have to go and really dig in and be wholehearted in your delivery. When it comes to acting, that's a whole other beast from comedy. You have to take the time and break your scripts down. Uh don't just don't just when I read a script like nowadays, they.
Speaker 3: Only give you your little scenes and now you know, like the people I work where, they don't give.
Speaker 4: You the whole script like they used to. But I used to read the entire script because I just felt like, I want to know where I fit in in this in this story, right, how does my character affect this scene?
Speaker 3: Like I wanted to know where do I fit my big? Small? Little? Do I come in large? Do I come in low?
Speaker 4: But one thing I've learned is that over time, you're going to find those beats.
Speaker 3: I always refer to the beats because it's almost like music, it's a rhythm.
Speaker 4: I watched Denzel, I watch Terry CRUs I watch so many different actors just to see how they do their thing, work.
Speaker 3: Their magic, it's yours. It's all crafts.
Speaker 4: So there's no wrong way to do it, but you have to be serious about it, and you really have to commit. I think that's really one hundred percent of what has happened. You have to commit, and don't worry about what your friends. If they're not supportive of what you're doing, somebody's going to see you and take you seriously when they see you're taking yourself seriously.
Speaker 3: So don't get.
Speaker 4: Discouraged if your family members aren't buying tickets to come see your comedy, or if they're not coming to like if you tell them, oh, it's right on TV. It's coming on tonight and they don't watch it. It's okay, okay, don't get upset. Let that's their loss for the moment. When the world sees what you have to offer, they all go, oh, that's my cousin, that's my this, that's my that. And then you'll have your time, you know. But for now, just stay committed to yourself.
Speaker 3: Please. I hope you believe in a higher power.
Speaker 4: I don't know who you pray to, but if you have that in your life, please fall back on that.
Speaker 3: Rely on that. I called on God all.
Speaker 4: The time and I have no problem shouting his name, no problem at all.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 3: Amen, Amen, Amen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shout some names right now because we have some actors actresses who have some questions for you.
Speaker 2: Else is coming on to introduce them to you.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you, thank you, thank you, Parnell. That was that was so refreshing. I really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: You're welcome conversation. Thanks.
Speaker 5: So today we have two of our spirited actors on to ask you a question. We have missus Amber Janey, welcome back here, but you can come on camera. And we have miss Leomitria Starks welcome back, Leamitria. You can come on also.
Speaker 3: All right, hello Malabe.
Speaker 5: You can ask your question first. You can unmute and ask your question.
Speaker 7: Awesome, Hi for now Hello Hi. So my question for you is what is the best way for a dramatic actor to sort of exercise that comedic muscle and really start to get a hold on these comedic beats that a lot of times we're told is like inherent to some but I feel like it can be taught.
Speaker 2: And if you have any advice, how would you go about that?
Speaker 4: Okay, one way that you could tap into your comedic side is to do especially if you like comedy at all, I would suggest you, you know, go be around comedy a little, Go to a comedy show, go shit at one comedy show, and just see how each comedian presents themselves right, Because we all have a funny bone. Some people just don't have the courage to stand up and be funny. But when you're a dramatic and you're required to be funny, now you have to come out of your comfort zone if that's what you are in as a dramatic actor. It's great to be dramatic on film because you can pause you can take those dramatic pauses, you can give those, you know, you brow on your shoulders and make yourself big on screen and things like that.
Speaker 3: But when it's time to be funny, you have to find that.
Speaker 4: Lighter side of yourself, right, You have to go back to being the kid again sort of speak. You know, picture yourself as like maybe nine years old in your mind, depending on how serious the funny has to be.
Speaker 3: You know, like there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Times where a serious character can be funny without smiling, even you know, you don't even have to be tracking like a big smile and everything to be funny on film, especially, So what I would say to you is, try to refer to your younger self. Try to go into a childhood state of mind, like to be light and let things just kind of flow, if you will.
Speaker 3: But try a comedy show.
Speaker 4: Definitely go sit in a comedy show just to see how the humor comes out. And sometimes most comedians talking about very serious but they make them funny.
Speaker 3: And when they're funny, you figure you can laugh, right, it's easy.
Speaker 4: It's easier to laugh at it if they make it funny, even though it's a very serious subject.
Speaker 3: So that's the balance we're looking to get right there. Yeah, I hope I helped you. You are, thank you. Nice to meet you. I hope to see you again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pleasure.
Speaker 5: All right, that was awesome advice. Thank you for now. Next up you have miss Aliah Maitria Starks Lea Metria. What is your question him.
Speaker 2: Mister Halloway.
Speaker 8: So my question is, with you being a comedian and an actor, how does your training differ? Because I heard you say that you write your own jokes, So how did that training differ from you writing your own jokes to reading someone else's words on a paper.
Speaker 3: That's a very good question.
Speaker 4: As a comedian, it's so much of a one, one man, one woman sport that with the comedy, I can write it from my own personerspective. Right, If I talk about my children, I talk about my whatever I'm doing personally, I can find the humor in it and it comes naturally through through.
Speaker 3: My own eyes. Right.
Speaker 4: But when I'm reading someone's script and they're trying to be funny in the script.
Speaker 3: Now is when I have to actually have a word with the director.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I just want to You always want to make sure that you're on the right vibe with them, because sometimes as a comedian, I might see it totally different and want to go big with the laugh, and he's like, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, this is more like this way, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: As a comedian, we always want the biggest of laughs, you know, so I have to tone myself down quite a few times. I was just telling Miss Moore about a show that I'm in called He's All I Need. If you get a chance, it's on YouTube, I think until the end of June, but if you get a chance to see it, you'll see what I mean.
Speaker 3: When I'm a.
Speaker 4: Pastor and I'm talking to my congregation and I'm literally not trying to be funny, but I'm just I'm naturally funny, and so I was able to be subtle funny, like little things that I've done big laughs, even though I wasn't intending on that. So it's a fine art the balance in between. But as a comedian, I.
Speaker 3: Write for the biggest of laughs.
Speaker 4: But as an actor, when I'm reading someone else's work and I have to fit my mindset into what they wrote, I sometimes do have to check back in with the writer just to make sure I'm in line with what they had in mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 3: Did that help you? I hope I helped you with that? Okay, thank you. No, I really appreciate you all.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. You guys, great questions. Thank you, Elsa, that's really good questions.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Parnell is going to stay with us and he's going to be with such class and session. So I want everybody to sit back, and I know you guys still have your bag or your.
Speaker 2: Treasure chest because he is dropping the jubils. Okay, when we come.
Speaker 1: Back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, we are going to do Class in Session. Stay tight, Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, and you are blessed. Parnelle Hollaway is still with us, ladies and gentlemen. Yes, yes, dropping all the jewels. So I am going to bring else Lathan on and she's going to bring on these spirited actors who.
Speaker 2: Are going to perform for us and especially you per.
Speaker 5: Now okay also yes, yes, hello everyone. So today for Class in Session, we have missus Amber Janey, Welcome back, Camber Hi. And we have miss Leamitria Stocks welcome.
Speaker 3: Back, Leomitria, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Today's scene is community Lunch written by Leona Model Interior lunch room day. Kelly walks into the lunch room to find her boss Patty there with her head in the fridge grabbing a plate.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, Patty, hey kill some meeting today, right? Tell me about it?
Speaker 7: Mark should have told us how he really feels.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, back to the hell box I go.
Speaker 5: Kelly notices the container and Patty, saying as she's walking.
Speaker 7: Out, Oh, Patty, I think that's my lunch.
Speaker 3: Uh no, girl, this is mine. We may have the same container.
Speaker 9: Did you get it on the top left? Yeah, that's my, that's my that's your what you know what, I'll just check myself.
Speaker 3: Good idea.
Speaker 5: As Patty blocks the fridge, maybe.
Speaker 2: I'll just check leader.
Speaker 3: Even better idea.
Speaker 5: Patty smiles and walks out. Kelly checks the fridge. It's totally her food missing again. She encourages herself to grow so and heads over to Patty's cubicle. Excuse me, Patty, Well, Patty's happily enjoying Kelly's food.
Speaker 3: Funny thing you came in.
Speaker 8: I was just thinking how happy I am with the choice that I hired you.
Speaker 7: I'm super grateful for my job, so thank you again.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to say, it's probably a mix up, because that is my lunch.
Speaker 3: I checked.
Speaker 8: Are you.
Speaker 2: Accusing me?
Speaker 8: Two weeks in and you're accusing me as if as your boss? May I remind you that I can't afford my own lunch.
Speaker 10: No, no, I'm not saying that. I just mean there's been a mix up. Yeah, I'm actually not even hungry. We'll try again tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Enjoy too. Delly rushes out of Patty's cubicle, noticing her own sweater hanging on Patty's coat. Rat too.
Speaker 1: See Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Pradell, what do you have?
Speaker 4: Okay, First of all, I commend both of you for being like one into your characters.
Speaker 3: I love I love the fact that she was going through the motions with the food.
Speaker 4: Eating out of the containers as if everything was just as you said. I think the poise and the patience of the woman.
Speaker 3: Whose food was missing. I like that.
Speaker 4: I like the way that you're kind of like, okay, well, let me just double check and make sure I was right and everything else, and then when you realize it was your lunch, you're like, wait a minute, that was my food, you know. I like the way you presented yourself. The woman I forgot, Kelly. I know the names, but I forget the one who was eating the food. I love the way she was just as glatant as she wanted to be about. Okay, it might be your food, but you're working for me, and you know you've been there for two weeks or whatever the case may be. I love the way you presented yourself. You did a very good job. That's what it's all about. You know, actually taken the words off the paper. You guys are There was no script in front of you, so therefore you already knew what you had to say. And you guys were right on point with each of the beats that I was mentioning before. And sometimes you have to let it breathe a little bit, and you did that the whole thing, playing it out with the food perfect. I think that was a great job on both of your be hats.
Speaker 2: I agree with you for now.
Speaker 1: I also loved when Amber dropped her head that said to tell me.
Speaker 3: Shep her head.
Speaker 1: I was like, I am so in and then Tria threatening her blatantly, Yo, that is just wrong on all levels.
Speaker 2: So you guys, that was in a well written scene. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you Matria and Parnelle, thank.
Speaker 2: You so much for the story.
Speaker 4: Honorsdom your thank you and I am honest your blessing man.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the prayer.
Speaker 3: We are welcome. That you're welcome man. Thank you for having me listen.
Speaker 1: You'll come back on when you're doing else, because I'm gonna tell you tonight is a Panelle Holloway binging to be down.
Speaker 2: I will know for thing.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Okay, next time, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: And I left one thing, Yes, I left one thing that to me, I tell you, I played another pastor. It's a show called now excuse the first word, but it's called The Bitch and for me is the name of the project. It's an eight episode series. Eight episodes is the whole thing. And I played pastor young in this. I was like a not so good guy when I was young, but now I'm a pastor. I try to change my life around. But you'll see there's a nice little story.
Speaker 3: There a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna do my two re vengings. So ladies, yeah, indeed, put your hands together mostly high conated comedian, actor, director, producer.
Speaker 2: It's a spiritual greed for now.
Speaker 4: Holloway, thank you, Thank you guys, thank you as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, when we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I am going to give you some love, and now it's time to give love. Everything great in my life has evolved from fear. When I think about the things that I wanted to do and I was afraid to do, I did it anyway, and that's what we should do in life. I'm not saying anything dangerous or anything harmful to your person.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, if you always wanted.
Speaker 1: To go to like a paint and sit right and just paint, who cares if it's perfect or not? Just having fun and laughing with friends right or yesterday I was passing by this sewing It was like they teach sewing there and adults and children these classes, and I was like, you know what, I could try sewing just to do it right. I'm afraid I might break a sewing machine. Howsoever, I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Do it anyway.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I wasn't afraid, but I'm just saying, try a different way in a pro fear, and what you will find is that fear is truly an illusion, doesn't exist. Don't buy it anything that fear tells you. Remember fear knocked on my door. Faithe answered, and Hello, nobody was there?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore now has.
Speaker 2: A YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: You'll get to see exclusive video footage from our podcast taping, as well as your favorite.
Speaker 2: Segments from the show.
Speaker 1: Make sure to like our videos, subscribe to our channel, and share with all your friends.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to also follow.
Speaker 1: Us on Instagram, at the Spirited Actor, and at both Tracy Moore and at The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore on Facebook and X Thank you thank for joining us on The Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you.