Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In podcast one on one interviews. We're going to speaking with Molina Delkicch. Let me tell you a little bit about her. She is a senior staff editor for Breaking News. She's worked at The New York Times since twenty eighteen. Her roles include newsletters, business desk, the newsroom, print hub, and contributing to coverage of the coronavirus pandemic. She has written an article on editorial that appeared in The New York Times talking about Gidmore Girls. Fascinating article, Melina, what inspired you to write it now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've always loved Gilmore Girls. Every once in a while you get to write about something that you really love and are interested in, and so this was a fun one for me, and I thought it was interesting that with viewership data that had been coming out, it's still one of the most popular shows across streaming, both by Netflix's numbers and Nielsen, which is the ratings firm. If listeners don't know that rates, you know TV and movies and streaming popularity, and it's still one of by far the most popular things that people like to watch, and so with my own interest in it and that I wanted to see why it's still so popular because it, as you know, officially wrapped in two thousand and seven, besides a year in the Life reboot.
Speaker 1: And what conclusions did you draw?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was a mix of conclusions. I think people love the show because it's feel good and it makes you feel kind of and fuzzy and people, you know, people I interviewed, like like Brenda Maybin, the set costume designer who who said that, you know, people like that there's no violence, there's no there's nothing that's unsolvable, and it's going to stress you out about watching it. It's comforting, but at the same time it is you know, deep, there's deeply intertwined relationships, there's really interesting characters who are multi layered and complex and and you know, so it's it's that fun, fun, lightheartedness, but at the same time it's there's there's some real depth there and some heart to it.
Speaker 1: That family dynamic is very powerful, isn't it. Anybody can relate to it the mother daughter tension. Yes, And well, as you said, the byline you are on your seventh or eight time watching. Why have you watched so many times? Why do you think people watch so many times?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So for me, I started watching when I was in college actually, so, you know, similar to a lot of people, after the show had concluded it's run on TV, it was on Netflix and a friend of mine said, you know, you have to watch this, You're going to love it. And after that first time, I was kind of hooked, and I was like, I want to see it again. I feel like I missed something. I you know, I want to when when things are stressful, I want to have it on in the background, or you know, just rewatch and find things I missed last time. And I think for for people, I think even though I put that I've rewatched it seven or eight times, I think that's actually low for the Gilmore Girls audience. I've found people have left comments on the article on social media and on the article page itself, and my friends have reached out that there's way higher numbers. People are watching it dozens of times, and I think it's you know, I think it's because it's it's that comfort. It's there's also even a psychological aspect to it. I talked to a clinical psychologist that rewatching a show you love that makes you feel good and you know how it's going to end, it makes it can actually, you know, improve your mood. It can it can help you when you're feeling lonely or or you know, any any tough feelings in a stressful time. It can actually help those feelings.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I also think it it contributes to keeping high culture. I think it's so smart that and I think that's one of the primary reasons people rewatch it so often, because there it's so fast, that fast paced dialogue, and there's so many obscure and arcane cultural references that people don't get them right away. They get some, and I get some, and then I go back and I, boy, you know, say to myself, Amy and Dan are very well read, and you know they're they're plucking these references out of everything that they love and read. And I think it's comforting to have something of quality that is keeping the culture or trying to set a bar higher and not talking down to an audience, not dumbing a show down for an audience. I think it really elevates people and it gives people a lot of hope in that sense that at least there's something on television that doesn't insult me. Yeah, and insult my intelligence. It's it's demanding me to keep up, and people love that challenge.
Speaker 3: I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Well, you're also rewatching, as you said, it could be a healthy coping mechanism. Mechanisms life gets stressful. When do you tune in to watch this show? Is it in you stressful times or just any time? Do you have it on in the background all of the time.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I think I've found that I gravitate toward Gilmore Girls in the fall, which a lot of people I talked to for this article said the same basically, And the viewership data supports that that it's the viewer is a little bit higher in the fall and winter months because it is kind of that cozy you want to go to Luke Steiner and get your coffee and like all the fun sweaters that are in the in the you know, costuming of the show and the festivals and the so it makes you feel like fall and winter and these cozy vibes. So I find myself watching it in those times here in New York. It gets gloomy sometimes in the winter, and I find it really cozy and helpful, but also definitely, you know, in stressful times or if I'm in a in a new place, you know, traveling for work or something, it's it's kind of comforting. I will turn to it in those times and have it on, like, Okay, this is something I know and something I feel good watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost as if you are able to instead of picking up a classic novel that you love, you can just turn that on and you're going to get the same kind of almost the same kind of quality. You don't feel like you're watching TV. You don't feel like you're wasting your time or it's just dead time. You know, it's like I'm learning something here, and this is this is wholly engaging. So you talked about the first time you watched it was in college. Where'd you go to college?
Speaker 3: I went to Georgetown in DC.
Speaker 1: Oh you went to Georgetown.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: My, one of my best buddies went to Georgetown. I grew Paul. He was just over here the other day telling me Georgetown stories. By the way, And so you were in college, do you remember the moment you watched it? Describe the day. Do you remember the vivid detail about the first time you discovered it.
Speaker 3: I do remember. I remember my friend Maddie and I texted her when I was published this article to say, thanks for turning me on to this wonderful show. And I was I was staying on campus over the summer working. Basically, you could work at campus job and it'd give you free housing in DC for the summer, so it was it was a pretty sweet deal. And I had some downtime between these jobs I was working, and I would put it on and campus is a little quieter in the summer, you know, not the kids aren't there. And I remember putting it on and just getting so quickly wrapped up in all of the character's stories and in the beautiful relationship between Rory and Laura l I and and the fun you know references, and I remember like I would like pause it sometimes and be like, wait, what is that like that reference that they just said, I need to go look it up? And yeah, and I remember, and you know, I'm a journalist, so there's obviously it was a fun kind of parallel that I saw someone trying to start a journalism career or a young a young woman trying to go into that world, and I was going into that too, So it's fun to relate to someone on screen.
Speaker 1: Shaw, Yeah, perfect for you, Absolutely right in your whalehouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, as you said, Rory is an aspiring journalist, so you obviously connected with her character the most. To she your favorite character.
Speaker 3: That's such a tough question. It's oh, man, I love all of the characters so much at this point, and I don't. I do feel like at the beginning I really related to her and probably was drawn to watching because of her character and Laura I, but I really love all that. Recently I've been I was talking to a friend the other day about how I really love Paris Galer's character. And I know that the first time you watch it as a you know, as a new viewer, you're kind of like you might be turned off by some of the things that she says. She's kind of you know, it can be it can be abrasive as a character, but then then you just kind of, I think, rewatching it can kind of fall in love with her at moments where she just she just says the funniest thing ever. And but I mean, but yeah, I just love I mean, everybody in the town of Stars hollow just so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my initial reaction because it's the whole point of podcast. I'd never watched the show, so I didn't really know the show. And yeah, I would talk about the need for Paris to have intensive therapy and to not be in the mainstream. But she has grown on me. There have been a lot of moments where I just you know, throw my head back and laugh. Yeah, and she's quite endearing at times, so it's a playing those extremes. Do you have and I cautioned to ask you this, and you don't have to be honest, do you have any career parallels to her storyline? Paris Is storyline?
Speaker 3: Oh to Paris. Yeah, well Paris, I you know, that's that's a hard one because I mean she was in a different career path. She ended up being like what like a combination lawyer doctor or something, which which was like, oh, of course, you know, Paris Scholler went down that path. But I don't know. I you know, I do feel like there's there's a little bit of that that Paris ambition or spark in a lot of people, but most of us don't push that hard as her character. Did you know? But but yeah, I can't say I quite approach situations the way she does.
Speaker 4: Well, that's probably a good thing.
Speaker 1: When did you know that you wanted to be a journalist?
Speaker 3: It took some time of figuring it out and trying a lot of different paths. I think I probably stressed out my parents in college because I can't. I switched my major like four times, and it was you know, trying out econ, trying out different languages. But I always in the background had that love of writing and also was just always the news and slowly realizing that instead of you know, being involved in it. As a school in DC, a lot of people want to get involved in the government, politics, things like that, and I just kind of kept thinking, I don't want to be in it. I want to be like observing it and you know, helping helping write kind of the historical you know, record about this stuff. And so that's how I made my way. But it took a lot of small decisions and figuring out what I what I needed.
Speaker 1: And boy, I tell you Washington, Yeah, the time to be a journalist. Yeah, and we won't open up that can of worms.
Speaker 3: But yeah, to be fair, now, I don't really deal with any politics or government news in my job.
Speaker 1: Probably healthiest. So The New York Times plays a big part. In season seven, Rory turns down a job with a new newspaper in Providence, wrote on because she's holding on to well, she's holding out for the rest and fellowship at the New York Times. What'd you think of this decision?
Speaker 3: I was so with her in that season. I remember just feeling the pressure the uncertainty of that, especially watching it in college and in the years right after college, because it is so I think with any career, it's kind of you have these moments where the timing doesn't work out the way you want it to. You don't get to find out everything you need to find out. You might have a job offer, but one that you you know, and there's a deadline for it, but one that you want more. And so I felt I felt like it was a very very thoughtful and good representation of what that's like as a young journalist. I think, you know, I think she obviously like that. It was a difficult time for her character. I remember she ended up then not getting the New York Times fellowship, right, If I'm remembering correctly that she had turned basically was out of a job with both of those, but then she ended up finding something else, and I don't remember if it was right after that, but she ended up going to work for an upstart publication of some sort covering the election campaign. And I thought that was kind of you know, I thought I related to that, because sometimes it seems like nothing is working out, and you know, you don't know like where your path is going to lead, and even though it's early in your career, you have these moments of struggle and the timing is just not working out. But then something does work out, and it's kind of it seemed like it was sort of a great fit for her as an ending of that show, and it seemed like it ended on a really hopeful note where she was going to go travel and right for this new publication and her work was going to be valued, and so I think she ended up making the right call for herself.
Speaker 1: And you're talking about the end of season seven or the Netflix.
Speaker 3: Episodes the end of season Steven, Okay, am I confusing that? I remember there was a she I thought at the end of the show that she went to go work for like the kind of upstart digital publication to cover the election.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about the Netflix episodes a little bit. As regards Rory, were you disappointed that her journalism career didn't pan out. Did you think it was realistic when she was showing so much promise?
Speaker 3: You know, I was. I think the first time I watched that, I was a little disappointed in that we had been with Rory and watched her be so ambitious and so in such a go getter, and I had dreamed of this her whole life. There's that moment with Christian I'm on poor and then she kind of it didn't take off, maybe the way I would have predicted when I was, you know, twenty two, and I'm like, oh, I want this for Rory. But I think it's realistic in that a lot of people kind of you know, don't have a constant, full time gig in this industry and a lot of industries. So I think, you know, she was freelancing for The New Yorker and and she was doing some really great work, but it's it's kind of representative of the sort of you know, sometimes unusual schedules and gigs that journalists can have.
Speaker 1: Give us your opinion on how the show portrayed journalism itself.
Speaker 3: I remember in the A Year in the Life, there was a moment where where Rory got a little too close to a source. I think I'm remembering that correctly and that that is not uh, that that's that's not a super accurate portrayal of something that would be permissible in a in a news job. But I remember the rest of it feeling pretty accurate. That her her role is like an intern in the newsroom that that Logan Logan's dad owned, where she's just running around trying to do everything she can and and trying to get noticed a little bit that that seemed very accurate. And also her writing for the paper, and I remember these moments of her trying to stand out while not not you know, insulting people around campus with her with her work and finding that difficult balance of you know, trying not to be a jerk but being really like accurate and honest. I felt like there there were a lot of these like kind of the early sometimes you know, things that you have to really think through in a journalism career.
Speaker 1: Were are there any without naming names, are there any minsh of hunts Burgers at the New York Times.
Speaker 3: No, no, fortunately, not.
Speaker 1: Have you ever encountered a personality like that? And in your years of being a journalist, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think as a young as a young woman journalist, you definitely come across I mean, anyone, as a young journalist in your career, you come across personalities that are you know that everybody has that moment where someone tells them you're not going to make it, You're not good enough, You're you know X and Y. And I definitely had that when I was in college. And yeah, and I actually, you know, I feel like I hear a lot of these types of stories that people have in different careers, but also in journalism. And maybe it's just because it's so competitive at times that but you know, hopefully you you learn from it, but you don't take it too seriously. And I think that's I remember that's what Rory did. That she kind of she went back to journalism and went back to Yale.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. What does the show mean to you?
Speaker 3: It's a it's a big answer. It's I really love the show. It's it's just one of those things that I'm like, how is this so good? It's I could rewatch it ten more times and I probably will over the course of you know, however many years that takes. And it's it's just, you know, supported me in difficult times. It's made me laugh, it's you know, comforting, and I love it and I love how much it means to so many other people too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is quite a phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It really has become this, uh, this iconic piece of art that that that is woven into the fabric of this country. And it's I don't know, it's sort of taken a place in in in entertainment culture that is completely unexpected and something I don't think anybody so common, right, I mean, how do you how do you predict this? It's uh, it's quite extraordinary. We're going to play a little game right now called rapid Fire. Okay, right, uh huh. And you don't have to we don't have to be fast with us. It doesn't have to be rapid. How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 3: Black?
Speaker 1: Are your Team Logan, Team Jess or Team Dean?
Speaker 3: Oh? So hard? I when I was younger, I was Team Logan because I thought that's where Rory is going and she she you know, needs someone who who respects her intellect and her career. But now I'm like, you know, who's of a jerk sometimes? So maybe I'm maybe I'm a little bit team just now.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of with you on that. You know, I was riding the logan wave pretty for a couple of seasons, but now I think I'm getting back on the jet thing.
Speaker 3: I love how it changes for you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it does, because but that's you know, a testament to the writing, isn't it. You know, ye can flip the fans like that, who's your favorite Gilmore Girls couple, Luke and Laurele I or Emily.
Speaker 3: And Richard Luke and Laurel I for sure. I think I wrote in my email responding to your team, like I was team Luke all the way in the in the show. And I recently learned that I didn't even think there was a debate on Laurel I's other romantic partners. But I was like, no, it's it's Laurea I and Luke.
Speaker 1: Right, I I was. I was always uh dumbfounded that there was even a debate about it. And you know, I think the network, as a marketing tool tried to engage the base with well, let's you know, let's make another like is, let's make another contest out of it. Would you rather work with Michelle or Kirk oh Man?
Speaker 3: I love them both, and Kirk is just everywhere, but he's kind of a goof, So maybe I would have to say Michelle for the for the competency factor.
Speaker 1: What would you order at Luke's Diner?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, if you know, if I only could, I would get a black coffee in one of the giant mugs. I would have waffles, waffles, syrup, the whole the whole thing. And then it, depending on the time of day. If it's later in the day, We're going burger. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about this, what if there were a chain of Luke's Diners? Would you go?
Speaker 3: Oh, one hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Do you think people would go? Do you think that's a good idea?
Speaker 3: I think that's a great idea. We're always going to diners here in New York. You know, when you really get a craving for like good food, that's not that's not overpriced, that's not overdoing it. It's that you want a diner, and especially the whole environment of Lukes. It's great.
Speaker 1: You would you like to go to a Lukes Diner that is a replica of the TV one or would you want it to be more of an experience where it's like got really comfortable booths and it's got the memorabilia all over the walls, and it's got a room where you can actually watch the shows and it's you know what I'm saying, it's like a it's it's like a comfy, high tech version of Luke's. Uh, that's more would be more comfortable than you know, the original diner because I think do you think people would just sort of visit it once or twice if it was like the original Lukes Dinners chasing after nostalgia, but not come back so much? But what do you.
Speaker 4: Think about that?
Speaker 3: I think that's a good question. I think both would be popular for sure. But I think you're right that if you if you wanted to keep coming back and have something as your go to diner spot, you'd want the maybe a little bit more comfortable option.
Speaker 1: You'd want all the bells and whistles, you know. Yeah, yeah, competitive space anyway. Interesting. Who would you rather hang out with? Paris or Lane?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Definitely lane definitely.
Speaker 1: Do you play an instrument you could be in your band?
Speaker 3: I do? I have a guitar, right, you do. I started learning guitar in the early pandemic, and then I grew up playing piano, keyboard. Oh that's great, and so I would love to there. That was such a fun plot point for me. Their their band and the whole growth of their musical life.
Speaker 4: Who do you like?
Speaker 1: Who are your Who are you partial to? Who you like listening to?
Speaker 3: Oh? Musically I love it? Really runs the gamut. I recently this was so impulsive to me, but I splurged on Joni Mitchell tickets and oh, there you go, because she's my absolute favorite of all time. But then also Beyonce is also my favorite of all time. So it's kind of like interest really run the game. But I also love rock and you know, listen to the Ramones. I feel like, if you live in Brooklyn, you have to Fleetwood Mac all the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I was listening to some Stevie Nick yesterday. She's extraordinary. Uh yeah, Joni Mitchell in my youth, big influence. I loved her, loved those albums.
Speaker 4: What a talent, What a talent?
Speaker 1: If if you love piano music. There's a have you heard of Keith Jarrett No, Oh, okay, so nineteen seventy five. This is a guy who was classically trained. They were grooming him for you know, the concert stage and the whole thing. He was a child prodigy and he left it all to play jazz.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: He wanted to write his own material and perform his own material, so he turned into this justice mind blowing artist, master of the keyboards. Yeah, so there's something you should It's going to affect you. It's going to hit you really deeply. These songs are really earth shattering. Keith Jarrett Coln concert liveko in Germany, Colm, Germany, and it's one of the most remarkable pieces of music I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Wow, I have to listen. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so get that. Get that Harvard or Yale, or drop out and live in the poolhouse.
Speaker 3: Oh oh man. The third option is so tempting now as a as a burnt out twenty eight year old, But I think, oh man, both both are such great schools. I think, you know, I've always wanted to live in Boston area, so I would say Harvard if I were there right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you rather attend a dar event with Emily or a town meeting with Taylor?
Speaker 3: Oh, town meeting for sure. That really just sounds like I could bring my popcorn. I would be entertained for hours.
Speaker 1: Right, Gilmore Girls, character that you would most want as a roommate?
Speaker 3: Ooh, Larelei? I think Lorelei. She would be fun. She's not, you know, so intense, like a like a Paris galer or somebody. She you know, would be easy going and not you know, not too much.
Speaker 1: Chaos, something in your life that you are all in on.
Speaker 3: Oh well, since it is Valentine's Day, I'll say my my relationship, shout out to my boyfriend Sean. And also we have a little dog. He's a little corgy named Mark, and so I would say he's the most spoiled dog in the world. So we're all in on him too.
Speaker 1: Molina has been a pleasure, and your article Gilmore Girls is an endless buffet of TV comfort food. I recommend everybody reading this article good luck with your journalism career going forward. Thank you so much, and keep watching. I absolutely will, yes, because I know I will and everybody does, and it's it's inevitable isn't it. Yes, anyway, thanks for coming on. It was it was great fun.
Speaker 3: It was so fun. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Set all right, take care, bye.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com