Speaker 1: Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by your.
Speaker 1: Neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 3: Our number two on campus. Here on this Saturday edition of The Drive, Euler and Williamson, we got some action in front of us right now. Matt As, there are probably what nine or ten school buses. If I had to guess one, two.
Speaker 4: Three, four, five, say easily, I can't see the end, and.
Speaker 3: I think there's one back there, would make nine school buses. A.
Speaker 4: Why would you need nine school buses forty some players?
Speaker 3: Well, you're taking the entire coaching staff and the training staff.
Speaker 4: You and I could hop on there if we want to media people.
Speaker 3: You know, our our friends. You know our friends like Tyler and Alec that work in the video department, a meal, Nate. All those guys had no.
Speaker 4: Over anyone associated with the organization in any way.
Speaker 3: It's there, and so everyone takes the buses yea, and yeah, all these uh it's I would imagine they'll probably be leaving in about an hour, six calos.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna be on the bus. They're gonna being before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, we are not going to be on the buses. But you've got man nine or ten buses line of least, yeah, and about five or six cop cars ready to give the old police escort as things are about to get wild across the way at latrob Memorial tonight.
Speaker 4: I would assume they want to get there by five, right, I mean it starts at six and stretch, and.
Speaker 3: I would be I would think within the next.
Speaker 4: Penalty road, the busy dressed minutes they dress here, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They get on there fully dressed, and and get off the bus and right onto the field, and same type of thing when they return. Matt, I'm sure I've told you this story before, but the first Friday night lights after we returned to campus at the end of the two year Hinesfield hiatus for COVID. Okay, so twenty and twenty twenty one there was no Saint Vincent training camp due to the NFL restrictions due to COVID, so twenty twenty two the first year that it was back here. That was also the night that Friday Night Lights got rained out because the weather was so bad.
Speaker 5: It was really bad.
Speaker 3: So that was I remember that kind of being a huge bummer because it was like two years without a year, and then the third year and it finally is back in Friday Night Lights, and then they had to cut it short or maybe barely even got anything in before the rain delays and the weather delays took effect. So I hadn't even gone over to Friday Night Lights. I was still here on campus, and there was word like, oh it got scrapped. It's not happening. They're heading back. They don't bother. So I am walking out of the cafeteria to go back to the dorm room, you know, walk across campus. And this was when and I were still staying in the dorms. And right as I'm leaving the cafeteria and making my way across these football fields here, all the buses pull up to drop the players off. Yeah, now keep in mind, it is pouring down, pouring down. But I guess t J. Watt and Cam Hayward had planned they had Matt waiting for them where the busses get dropped off. I'm not kidding, probably six big tubs full of filled water balloons.
Speaker 4: So the first busts of rain.
Speaker 3: That's what makes it so funny, because it would have been hilarious. The first bus rolls off and clearly TJ and Cam playing this, and they hop off the bus and they've got all the water balloons waiting, and they're like, come on, just fucking water balloons with these guys as they get off the bus. But it's bumping. All the guys are getting hit with the balloons and they're like, okay, yeah, big deal, I'm soaked. Anyway, that's like a it's like a drop of water in the Atlantic Ocean, you know. I mean, so it would have been even better if it was you know, eighty eighty some degrees. Great idea. But I walked right through there as TJ and Cam were pelting everybody with water balloons.
Speaker 4: And I can didn't have the same effect.
Speaker 3: Didn't have the same effect. But on their faces, Matt, they still looked like nine year olds on Christmas morning. They were having a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 4: Certainly, I'm sure they slipped somebody back here a couple bucks to fill up eight thousand water balloons.
Speaker 3: Might have been nine thousands. It was so many water balloons in the middle of a rainstorm. Those type of visuals that you get to see out here that stick with you for a long time, Matt Today, tonight a big night here in Latrobe today, though it was quiet on campus except for some of these Steelers coordinators and coaches that we heard from really for the first time of you know, we've heard from Brian Angelico and Patrick Grant and Danny Crossman, these guys leading up to this process, but hadn't heard from them yet here in the Saint Vincent Vincent portion of this training camp. Here's what new offensive coordinator Brian Angelico had to say this morning.
Speaker 6: A wide variety of ways that you guys use a quick passing attack to hit all different parts of the field. How do you go up organizing that in the offense to.
Speaker 3: Mix it up at the right pace and encounter what defenses are doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we obviously want to try to spread the field and we're blessed to have some really good perimeter players and some of those are called some of those are run solutions.
Speaker 5: Checks that the quarterbacks can get to.
Speaker 7: But it's been good for us, whether it's the quick game or the bubbles or the screens, but just trying to get the ball in playmakers hands right.
Speaker 3: How would you evaluate Mason will and Drew what they've done at KIM to this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they're doing a great job. I think Tom does a great job in the QB room and you know, as far as maximizing their time with the QB school and fundamentals during the special teams, and they're really taken to the footwork and the training.
Speaker 5: So it's been really good to see them now they've had.
Speaker 7: A chance from OTAs in Phase two, they really you know, now they know the drills, they understand the footwork, and it's really good to see it grow in training camp in terms of maximizing their reps.
Speaker 3: How beneficial is the two spot and running you know, the two team periods simultaneously, two.
Speaker 7: For everyone, not only the quarterbacks but all our players. I think it allows us to certainly double the reps, you know, rather than guys seeing it on film, they're actually able to do it, so it's been really really good.
Speaker 8: How difficult is it to kind of keep track of both things that require a lot more films?
Speaker 3: So, or how do you manage it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What we typically do is in the two spot, we'll have a script and they're running the same script that the other group's doing. And it's cool because when we watch the tape as coaches, the plays are back to back, so if you know, one group executed it and the other group didn't, they can see what it should look like and then if we repeat it. So it's really good training and teaching, and you know, you get your best film through training camp for your cutups, and we're able to get a lot of reps.
Speaker 5: That's been really beneficial.
Speaker 8: Have you personally done the two Spider but involved in a training camp practice.
Speaker 5: That operated that way?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, places I've been, we've done it. You know, I think every everyone you know, all the coaches, they've they've experienced it at some point for sure. And Mike usually goes with the kind of the second field the younger guys, right, and you're with the Yeah, that's pretty cool for you as someone who's first time and no, it's.
Speaker 5: It's you know, we talked about that.
Speaker 7: Then there may be times that if Mike goes over on the ones and I'll be over with the twos, or Tom may go over with the twos, souh and Mike will be with the ones. But I think it's good for you know, Will and Drew obviously to hear Mike's voice and you know how he calls Thayings and to articulate that.
Speaker 6: Roman Wilson's had a very productive camp as far as you know, being involved in you guys team group sessions. What have you seen from him in this camp that maybe you didn't see when you first like studied him and to get understanding of what you were inheriting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Roome's done a great job.
Speaker 7: I think it's really cool like him and Aaron seem like they're on the same page and and you know what their their communication and and where where he needs to be with the concepts. So and Rome's really worked hard in his preparation and film study. So I think he's playing a little bit more quieted, mind relaxed and uh just going out playing football rather than you know, thinking like you know, when when you're in the OTAs you know, it's you know, everybody's learning a new system, and you know, now we kind of call these recalls where it's you know, we've installed it twice, so let's go out. And I think players are starting to get a little bit more comfortable, and you know, each day it should get a little bit better.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: Aaron said that in order to be explosive inefficient on early downs, you need to go under center because a lot of top offenses are doing that. How are you seeing that as a trend around the league and how does it fit with this turn vision reoffensis?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you know, the the you know, the explosives, the you know, the catchphrases they come off the play passes and trying to marriage the run in the past. So you know, certainly under center allows that. You know, it's better action. You can get more downhill with the runs. So there's a component to that that certainly if you tie them all together, you know, you can kind of conflict the linebackers or the second level coverage with their fits, which allows you to throw the ball over the top of them.
Speaker 9: Your time with Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota kind of help you develop that specific part, especially working with the tight ends.
Speaker 7: You were sure, Yeah, obviously, I have tremendous respect for Kevin, learned a ton from him, and he's a.
Speaker 5: He's a he's a really good friend.
Speaker 7: But yeah, obviously that was a great experience, you know, just seeing how they tied together some of the runs and play passes.
Speaker 5: So it was definitely beneficial for me pretty experienced running backs. Is picking a number one something that's important to you? And how do you envision the time splip between those guys working out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're we're, you know, very fortunate to have you know, Rico and Jalen.
Speaker 5: That'll play itself out as we go.
Speaker 7: They're both gonna play They're both going to be a big part of our success, and they're.
Speaker 5: Both very capable of carrying the load.
Speaker 7: So it's a good problem to have and we're gonna need him both and super super excited that they're with us. Where's German Bernard at this point?
Speaker 5: Has he exceeded expectations?
Speaker 3: He where he needs to be or does he need to catch up? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think germs right where he needs to be and he's just steady. I love his approach, I love his intentionality. I love his work ethic, you know, and he's he's smart, like you know, Adam's moving him around. He's playing all three positions on you know, at the receiver position and handling it.
Speaker 5: So it's it's been it's been good.
Speaker 7: And you see him every day he'll make a play, so he's uh, he's doing well.
Speaker 5: We're very happy where he's at. Right.
Speaker 3: I think last season, Aaron spoke really highly of working with Zach Frasier, calling him potentially one of the top centers.
Speaker 5: In the league.
Speaker 7: Down the line, what have you noticed about Zach being a young player of this league?
Speaker 3: Now he's handled working with such a season quarterback.
Speaker 7: Like Aarran Prey, steady and really smart. That's that was, you know for me to see. You know, I totally agree with that. You know, he's got command. He makes the calls up front, uh fair and check something, phrases right on it, he can relay it. So he's kind of that the stability that sets it off for the old line.
Speaker 5: And it's really cool to see. Right, how do you see the offensive line gelling when it comes to especially like the zone blocking.
Speaker 7: How how are they kind of gelling together and getting on the same page because this is a new system for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, the line is a group, is is is a smart group.
Speaker 5: They do a good job.
Speaker 7: You can tell that they've they've worked together their communication. So I've been I've been pleased with the old line and you know the strides they've made, you know, in training camp and obviously will continue to be tested versus our front. We got a really good front. So it's it's really good to see those matchups.
Speaker 5: It's it's been good.
Speaker 3: How have you seen the competition for the third tailback spot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that'll be something that will play out as we go through preseason games. And that's where we're really excited to get to those games. You know, those guys are all getting reps and we'll see where that thing goes in the next three weeks.
Speaker 6: Hide and right fit in that is as far as third running back or six wide receivers.
Speaker 5: You know, his ability to line up all over all over the formation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, like like with all our players, position flexibility, the more you can do is certainly beneficial, whether it's on teams or playing offense, splitting out, playing in the backfield. So he'll be he'll be included in the mix, and you know, we're gonna we're gonna stretch him as much as we can mentally and just see where this thing goes.
Speaker 8: We've seen Aaron go to Pat Fryarmouth a number of times in the two minute drill and critical situations early on, just with Pat. What do you envision his role being would have been some of the.
Speaker 5: Early impressions of ten.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Pat's done a really good job at controlling the middle of the field, and I agree with you.
Speaker 5: You know, at.
Speaker 7: Any time we get a one on one with Pat, you know, he's made some plays. So that's been really really cool to see. And we're just going to keep pushing the envelope and you know, hopefully that connection continues to grow because it could certainly be a big help for us.
Speaker 8: Stick sticky with stigma tight end for a second. Dornell Washington is a very unique body type. How do things change for.
Speaker 3: You guys when you have Pat in.
Speaker 8: The game versus Darnell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we really don't. We really try not to.
Speaker 7: You know, I think they're both capable, so you know, we want to be able to call our plays, but certainly, you know, try to emphasize in what they do well. But right now we're just playing ball, and you know, they both are doing a good job blocking at the point of attack, and certainly, you know in the passing game they're very very capable.
Speaker 5: Waiting You young quarterbacks, you know, how much are you waiting what happens here versus those three opportunities when the lightser on, the rush is live and that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, certainly there's no there's no better way to evaluate in game game reps, so that certainly they'll be critical, But obviously there's a ton that goes into practice. You know, the operation, the checks at the line, do they understand the adjustment the audible?
Speaker 5: So that's all.
Speaker 7: Really really good stuff that they've handled well, and that's certainly, you know, a big evaluation, it's part of it all.
Speaker 5: But ultimately, when you get out there.
Speaker 7: And see them play, that's versus a different defense, an uncommon opponent, and how they react and respond is the ultimate measuring stick.
Speaker 5: What do you think, Drew?
Speaker 7: I mean, going from a certain system at Pens stay different like you might have had a cadence there.
Speaker 5: You know, colleges are very different when it comes to that stuff.
Speaker 8: How do you see him not just picking up a system, but getting the cadence down, making those checks of the line and stuff better.
Speaker 5: Impressed.
Speaker 7: You know, his poise, you know, his ability to retain information and I think you know when he when he makes you know, when you correct him on something, his ability to immediately go go back in there and and get it right. Like that's that's important. You know, he's he's like a sponge in that QB room. If you know Tom tells him something or he's here's Aaron speaking on something, he can immediately.
Speaker 5: Go apply it. So he's done a really good job with that.
Speaker 3: Now that you've seen Riley in Actually, what kind of impact do you think his role or he might have in this offense?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know he's he's been able. You know, he's done a good job playing tight end. He's handled multiple roles, playing on the line, off the line, in the backfield. He's capable and you can see him getting more and more comfortable with each rep. But you know, just like with Germ, and pleased where he's at right now, you know, as we sit in training.
Speaker 1: Camp, all right, thank you.
Speaker 3: I like that. Maybe we could just start calling him Germ.
Speaker 4: I bet that sticks.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 4: I would think so.
Speaker 3: I think so. And a lot of talk about the wide receivers. That was Brian Angelico if you miss it at the start Steelers offensive coordinator. I just like the positive stuff, and it is this time of year, and that's and that's the way you want it to be. But I think even more so, you know this is yes, the Steelers have had changed. You know, they had a few different offensive coordinators over the last handful of years of Mike Tomlin and and different quarterback coaches and offensive line coaches and all that stuff, and felt like the wide receiver coach was changing pretty regularly, but sweeping wholesale change. New offensive coordinator in Brian Angelico, of course, a offensive head coach, and Mike McCarthy, Matt There's going to be a million storylines that we're going to keep an eye on throughout this season, as we always do. But I feel like it's gonna start with and the majority of it will be around the Steelers offense. Aaron Rodgers, that young offensive line, in the wide receiver room that now finally for the first time in a few years, feels like you have enough ammunition in that group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tend to agree with you, and then when the season ends, it's really going to go towards well, what we're gonna do at the quarterback position from here, which is just going to dominate headlines and is going to fall on Angelico to some degree as well, and let alone this new staff. So there's kind of put up a shot of time here on that side of the ball.
Speaker 3: It's time for a lot of the rubber to meet the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was encouraging stuff.
Speaker 3: It was we'll uh, we'll hear from uh from Patrick Graham before we get out of here in the next hour and a half, maybe some Danny Crossman Special Teams coach as well as again those guys speaking today for the first time during this training camp. West Shuler, Matt Williamson. It's all quiet on campus right now, but I do think in the next half hour or so we'll have the other match up there. There's some I think that some of the media guys are hacking out up there waiting, and some of the team employees, I mean, they're not getting on the bus just yet. They're kind of loitering around because you don't half.
Speaker 4: An hour time.
Speaker 3: I would guess four fifty ish you know, half half hour. Yeah, I think you're right. I think a little before five. Get them there about an hour ahead of time. Uh, they can take in the setting, they can get all their you know.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Just get kind of a for the new coaching staff too. In the past, you get, you get there, you know where you're going, you know where this is, that is, here's where we're setting up, here, where we're walking in it. For all this coaching staff too, they might want a few minutes just to assess.
Speaker 4: And most teams don't do this, by the way, guys, they do not.
Speaker 3: Most teams have some type of scrimmage in their stadium.
Speaker 4: Yes, like our buddy, our.
Speaker 3: Buddy Michael McQuaid of course, of Steelers Ireland and and NFL Ireland. He was out here last week. He was on SNR. He's been on SNR a few times in the past. Good dude. We like hanging out and chatting with him. He was last night at Lambeau Field for the Packers scrimmage and they had sixty thousand plus there at Lambeau and he was posting about it on his Instagram. He was like, this is like bucket list stuff. He's like, this is incredible. You know, Friday night at lambeau Field was sixty thousand people there for a scrimmage.
Speaker 4: There's some college spring spring games get that many.
Speaker 3: So you know what's funny, Matt, is they used to you know, Ohio State, Nebraska, Alabama and all those places. It's funny now though, in the last couple of years. And you know why that is because coaches don't want extra film of their depth guys out there for portal purposes.
Speaker 4: I had I thought for sure it had to do something with nil or portal.
Speaker 3: Now just this year they finally.
Speaker 4: Don't scarf up that five star receiver who's tearing it up just just can't beat out Jeremiah Smith exactly right.
Speaker 3: You know, there used to be a spring portal. There's not anymore. There's the one portal window in January and that's it now. But for the last you know, six years or whatever it was since the transfer portal started, there was a spring window and a lot of coaches were like, I don't want to put my second string guys out there and then.
Speaker 4: Put them on a billboard to come steal.
Speaker 3: Like you said, here's a five star receiver for Ohio State, who's.
Speaker 4: God quarterback that's stuck behind a first round pick.
Speaker 3: And then you know, and then here comes all Miss with a big offer for them or you know, someone like that, who could use somebody at that position right now. I do think that's been a big part of spring games getting downplayed over the last few years. But maybe now that they've it was always going to take time, and I still don't think it's perfect, but I at least think the transfer portal setup is better now than it was. It still opens before the season ends, which seems asinine, but I again, I understand it's never going to be a perfect system. Yeah, I think they've got it at least a little bit closer now, But you're right, fine a little bit. For a long time, man, those spring games were like.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they were gathering, right, and I haven't heard much about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know a lot of schools too. It was like, it's a five dollars ten dollars donation to get in and all that money goes to the children's hospital, you know, or something like that. So they'd make a big cause out of it and a big day out of it. But it is a big day here in Latrobe, of course for Saturday Night Lights. We'll let you know when the buses roll out, when the things get going here as Matt and I have about another ninety minutes in today's program before we lead right up to the start of Saturday Night Lights here across campus in town Euler Williamson. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Please please live coverage twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new power move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit Go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Caliente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 3: The sun is shining here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. My goodness, the last five minutes or so that we were in commercial break there, the sun has come out. It's another beautiful day here in Westmoreland County Unity Township, and of course going to be a massive, massive crowd down at the True Memorial for a little Saturday night lights here as we are still waiting for everyone to get on the buses. But there's some moving and shaking going on here on campus right now, Matt.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean real slow day, as we've mentioned. Everyone will gather up here and get out of here and then be crazy over there and then we'll get back at it, have a bro slow day tomorrow too, yep. And then down the home stretch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would think Monday and Tuesday will be big days, of course, with the guys off on Wednesday, and then that first preseason game at home against the Packers of course on Thursday at Akroscher Stadium. Matt, if you look down the walkway here, it looks like a bunch of our fellow media shlubs are making their way up there, throwing, making their way up to the hill of the buses. So I would think that, yeah, they're getting ready to part depart here and maybe the next fifteen minutes or so. Yeah, I would say so if you're if you're media guys, you don't want to be late, Matt, because they.
Speaker 4: Are not waiting for you.
Speaker 3: They will not wait for you. No, I've told you some some good Arthur Motes stories and anecdotes, you know, over the years, and particularly we this time of year, we always reference his one about training camp is not over when we leave Saint Vincent College. It's just over for everyone from a public standpoint. Another thing that he I don't know if I've ever told you this before the first time, it would have been what five years ago when I started traveling as part of the Steelers game day broadc cast crew as well. Did I ever tell you about the little speech that Motes gave to me before that first trip? No, So I would have been a p It was a preseason game in Jacksonville. Was was my first was my first time, first time I'm hopping on a plane to trad You know, I had worked game broadcasts from our DV studios before back here in Pittsburgh, but it's my first time being part of the game day traveling crew. It was a preseason game in Jacksonville. I want to say it was a Friday night game if I believe correctly, so we would have been flying out Thursday, so I think Motes and I did the show on Thursday, and then I was going right to the airport type thing, and Motes was like, look, dude, he's like, for all these games, don't be late. Don't push it. He's like, I understand, you know, like like plane usually leaves about three o'clock ish sometimes when we're going to the West coast or obviously if we're going to Ireland or France, it's different. But in vast majority we usually fly out at three o'clock on Saturdays. And Motes was like, you need to be on that plane by by two fifteen, two thirty, all right, He's like, because typical travel, you know, you know, it's literally like you you you go through the gates and show your ID and you go get on the plane. There's no airport security, and then there's some TSA stuff, but it's it's all so streamlined and so quick and you can, you know, grab a sandwich again. It's as good as it gets. It's you feel like a one percenter when you're when you're doing that, certainly you grab a you know, grab a sandwich in a gatorade and get on the plane. But Motes was like around two thirty two forty is when all the players show up, and he's like, it gets a little wild there. You don't want to get caught in the shuffle because he was like, believe me, they will not wait for you, all right. He was like, he was like, in my four years with the Steelers, I only saw us wait one time, and that was because Ben Roethlisberger was a few minutes late, and Wes, you're not Ben roethlis here, all right, so you better be on time.
Speaker 4: You should be early.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He was like for the players, he was like rushing.
Speaker 5: On with that.
Speaker 3: He was like, get there before the players. He's like, get yourself something to eat, get comfortable on the plane, all right, and just don't be rushing. Don't be late because they will leave your butt behind.
Speaker 4: Quick question for you, because I know you know your spot on the plane and things like that. Now everyone probably sits in about the same area.
Speaker 3: Just about the same seats every single flight.
Speaker 4: Did anyone coach you up where to sit day one? So or did you like sit mister Rooney seats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went.
Speaker 3: I went right in the front of the plane, and I was like, ah, that'd be I'd be first class sleeper pod there. That looks like it's for.
Speaker 4: Me first, I get to pick anywhere I want. That's probably not.
Speaker 3: How it works, so fortunately, uh, it's not how it works. In fact, when when you check in with your ID, right, they give you a little card that has your seat assignment on it. Okay, and it's pretty much the same every game.
Speaker 4: Now again, granted, I bet you can move two seats and nobody cares.
Speaker 3: But and sometimes like if we're going to la or we're going to Miami, the Steelers might take a little bit bigger of a plane because we might have some more spot answers or people like that they're going going with us. But for the most part, like preseason, we take a bigger plane because you obviously have thirty forty extra guys still on the roster. But for the most part, it's about the same seat. You get a little you get a little note card when you check in with your seat assignment on it. But I was fortunate too.
Speaker 4: That like pretty much sit next to the same person.
Speaker 3: I sit next to Dan Quinlan every every single flight, although there was a couple of years in the preseason where Max Max is only on the plane for preseason because then then he's flying from Arizona by himself for the preseason. He's out here the whole time. So in the preseason they would it would supposed to be Max and Wolf sitting next to each other and Me and Dan sitting next to each other. But Wolf and Max are like Wolf and Max were like, yeah, Wes, Wes is gonna sit with one of us, all right, He's a little bit smuth. So I ended up squeezed next to Wolf for a couple of those preseason flights. But I had Quinlan and Wolf who had been doing it forever, and they had kind of told me like, hey, back right back, right corner of the plane is where we're gonna be. But it's a good group, you know, like Missy's back there with Bob King obviously, yeah, some of the some of the video and equipment guys. So we have a we have a good time.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure everybody has their their neighborhood on the plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's a little sesame streetish it's a little uh, mister Rogers. And it's a lot of fun too, because.
Speaker 4: Dublin was so different. But I wasn't sure, like with my stepping on toes, because there was two planes that went to Dublin. I s went near the back, and boy, there's a ton of rooms. So I didn't feel bad after a while, but I'm like, I hope I'm not like in the wrong neighborhood.
Speaker 3: We we check in for that Dublin flight, and it was a it was an overnighter obviously, right. I think we left Pittsburgh at like nine o'clock or something. That's eight o'clock, nine o'clock.
Speaker 4: In the evening, don't remember.
Speaker 3: That's something something like that. And Matt and I, uh, Matt and I get to the back in our seating assignments, and there's probably what four or five empty rows behind us, so many right, and we're kind of like me, you, Missy Matthews, Teresa Varley, We're all kind of looking at each other like nobody's sitting back here. And they closed the doors for the plane and we're getting ready to take off and we're all like sweet, We're laying down on the.
Speaker 4: Back and it was that huge plane, Like the middle row was four or five seats, so I my six oh two seven body just fit fine. I just laid down, Yeah, put over me.
Speaker 3: And I think that was the best I slept on a plane since I was a teenager.
Speaker 4: Fitting up at all. Laying there on my shoulders.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. And then we woke up and we were in Dublin. You can't beat that. You can't beat that, Matt. Speaking of Ben Roethlisberger, we now know the twenty twenty six, of course Hall of Fame class officially enshrined earlier this afternoon. Here's the list of first time eligibles for the twenty twenty seven class, and it is a heavy hitting g It is a group. Rob Gronkowski, Ben Roethlisberger, Adrian Peterson, Richard Sherman, Cam Newton, Antonio Brown, Lev Bell, Andrew Whitworth, Alex Mack, Gerard McCoy, and Eric Weddle, all first time eligible in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Now I'm not the one I didn't remember.
Speaker 3: He's he might not be first ballot, but I think he's He's getting go. Gronk feels like a no doubt first ballot I think, and I think a lot of people feel that way. He's got the individual accolades, he's got the team accolades. He's I would be shocked if he's not first ballot. And then I think a quarter of a step behind him is Ben and Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if I had the rank them, I'd probably put Peterson's case a little stronger.
Speaker 3: Just because there were a lot of years where you said he's the best at his position. Yeah, which is harder to do a quarterback.
Speaker 4: It is, it still is, but I mean he was kind of the last of the Golden Age true running backs. And then I'd put Sherman for fourth. But all four of those guys I absolutely think are getting in.
Speaker 3: I think they're locks to get in.
Speaker 4: And should get in the next two years at most. I think Whitworth's got a decent case too.
Speaker 3: It's funny, I was gonna say he's the other one. He might have to do the Alan Fannika thing in wait, six years or whatever it is, but I think Whitworth gets in one of the better left tackles of his generation, has the Super Bowl ring to go with it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't hurt these guys when they're in the public spotlight. But after their coaching career, playing career too, Sherman Whitworth, you know, they've been very busy. Monk too, Gronk as well. Yeah, I mean he's it's kind of assumed he to get in, But you're right, these guys haven't vanished off the face of the earth, like oh, I forgot all about him. The interesting one though, is Antonio Brown, of course, who is every bit of player. Everyone we just mentioned, including Gronk, in my opinion, are close to it now, there's a lot more going on with him. I don't think he'll get in this year, especially in such a loaded class. If it's Sherman or ab he's probably going to lose out. But I just don't think it's fair, no matter what he did off the field, to keep him out of the Hall of Fame. And I only say that because from what I understand, it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's not the NFL Hall of Fame. It's a Pro football Hall of Fame. They don't have any rules or stipulations of morality, clauses or what you did off the field. So if you're going to stick by the letter of the law and just base these players on what they did on the football field.
Speaker 3: He's a Hall of Famer, He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. If you're staying there, and you're right, and we know that there's the way that the laws are written, the ways that they're interpreted by by by the people, right like I think baseball, I'm pretty sure Cooperstown, where's Rob King when you need him? Cooperstown, I believe, has a morality class and that's what they use for guys like Barry Bonds and Pete Rose and on down the line. You're right, the NFL does not have that, but we've also still seen it work against guys in the past who I think eventually all end up getting in.
Speaker 4: But yeah, maybe have to. But ab is don't how baseball works. But I also think it hurts that who's going to be the human being standing up in the room for Abbe.
Speaker 3: You would think it would be a Steelers person because that's where he spent the vast majority of his career and where he had his most success.
Speaker 4: And Jerry's tough ask for Jerry, Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: Jerry gonna get up and tell stories about the time that they used to do radio shows together when AB was early in his career, back at our, back at our nine seventy studios. AB is a very interesting tough case because you're right, the guy between the white lines is a no doubt Hall of Famer, But we also know the way that he's been caring himself the last couple of years, and he's got it. You can't, you know, you can't have him. You have to be able to trust that the person that is wearing the gold jacket is going to show up, is going to carry themselves well, is going to give a nice speech from the podium.
Speaker 4: Right, And don't think anyone be super confident at this this minute.
Speaker 3: It's you know, for the NFL, it's all about the shield, right, Matt, It's it's all about the reputation and the reflection of the shield and currently and rightly, so there's there's questions around a b in that regard.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest, So it'll bother me if he doesn't go I mean not this this, yeah, particular classes necessarily, but if he's not in the next ten years, I think you're kind of talking on both sides your mouth.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's hard for me to argue that, yeah, you know, and again I can foresee a scenario where he never kind of walks the line and they don't feel comfortable putting him in that spotlight. But you're you're right. From the way that it's governed, the way that it's legislated and written, it's it's it's hard to deny that that guy shouldn't be in much sooner rather than later.
Speaker 4: I don't have a ton of examples off the top of my head, but I can promise you many current Hall of famers had stuff before they were inducted. Like I'm not talking about OJ I mean that happened after. But I still think he should have gone too. I mean, I'm not making light of murder or death or anything of that nature. But if he was arrested and in jail when it was his turn to go up, he should still go because the rules are the rules. If you don't put in the rules, then he was good enough.
Speaker 3: Football player to go, or have a morality clause if you want, then he has no chance, right.
Speaker 4: Right, right right.
Speaker 3: It's unless I'm.
Speaker 4: Missreading the how I think the NFL or the Pro Football Hall of Fame works. I think none of that's supposed to matter.
Speaker 3: You know, what we'll have to do is when we have one of our night shows with Jerry here in the next thing, Yeah, doing.
Speaker 4: It next week or so it's changed the last time.
Speaker 3: We'll have to pick his brain on that one.
Speaker 4: We do know it influences things.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt, supposed to not human human element is obviously, uh is a part of this whole process. Certainly, big congratulations to the five that got inducted today, and hopefully we won't be waiting too long till number seven has his day out there in his home state. Next year's class could be one of the better classes of all time, depending on how it shakes out. He's up the year after that. Part of me wonders, are they gonna wait and and and put Belichick in with Brady because he's he's still he's still available as a candidate, Still available Bill Belichick.
Speaker 4: Process.
Speaker 3: Yes, because it's not just it when it comes to the coaches and the contributors, it's not just a yes or no vote, you know what I mean. It's like you can only vote for so many I mean, what are we doing out but some of some of the again, the human element of the process could certainly be tweaked. One more segment to go here in the four o'clock hour, then we'll kick off the Bonus hour. Keep those tweets rolling in if you want to get involved with the show. We've covered a lot of ground, a lot that you can chime in on if you want to let us know how you feel, questions, comments, concerns, reactions at Wesley Yuler at Williamson NFL. If you want to get involved with the show. He is Williamson, NFL. I am Wes Shuler. This is the Drive All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverageop dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light. Easy to drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here Remax Select Realty. Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. Visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com, and buy Coniente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 3: Closing down the second hour of the drive Bonus Hour coming up in just a few minutes. Keep those tweets rolling in, we'll hit those in the five o'clock hour. Whiles. Here from Patrick Graham, Steelers defensive coordinator. As some of the Steelers have started to trickle out of the locker rooms and get onto the buses, I'd imagine in the next ten minutes or so here they will be taken off for Latrobe Memorial. If you're down there, enjoy yourselves, have some fun. Hopefully the weather continues to look as beautiful as it is right now. It's sunny out matt but not too hot today. No, it's nice, good day to take in some football practice and some fireworks and all that good stuff. A few more I've been watching down here. I haven't seen it yet, but they've got kind of the security posted up at the main entrance of camp and been waiting to see some people if they drive in and get told nope, you're in the wrong. Yeah, it's not here.
Speaker 4: Always forel bad, but it's always kind of funny every year.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. But if you guys are listening down at the high school fields, as you should be, spread the word. We'll let you know when they pull out, and you can get put an idea when people are gonna.
Speaker 3: There you go. You can all start going nuts when the boys roll into town. Yeah, certainly, Matt. We've got a couple of minutes shorter segment here to get our clock back on track for the final hour. But I did just see some good news roll across the timeline here. Kyle Shanahan, of course, recovering from that carround.
Speaker 4: We haven't brought that up.
Speaker 3: Pretty serious by all reports of an accident that he was in a few weeks ago. He intends to coach the forty nine ers preseason opener. Thinks that he's healthy and recovered enough to be on the sideline and moving around and that's great news.
Speaker 4: And I mentioned I host an NFL six pack show with Brian Peacock, who covers the Niners, and he basically he explained it to him. He said, yeah, he has some bumps and bruises. He may even have a broken bone or two. Like, he's pretty lucky that it wasn't worse in terms of like dehabilitating or ruining his coaching or situation. But the big problem has been severe concussion relief, you know, So he's kind of been off the side, sunglasses on, or.
Speaker 3: At least he noises, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so I guess that's gradually coming back to him, that he can be in command of things again.
Speaker 3: That it's awesome, good, it's great to see. I know originally they had, you know, there were some questions of will he be on the sideline for any preseason games, could he you know, still be recovering when the regular season gets here. But obviously all the best of him and his recovery, and that is great, great news to hear for the head coach of the forty nine ers. Could have certainly certainly gone a lot worse. Man car crashes or those are some scary, scary things, and if this game isn't dangerous enough, right, exactly right, exactly right. I also wanted to Matt before we get to break here, I meant to ask you this when we were having some fantasy football conversation, and before I forget, is it is it fair or foul that a lot of people are drawing comparisons to Love in his rookie season that he has ahead in Arizona to what we saw from Genti last year with the Raiders. Is that a fair yes? And is that a fair warning sign for where you're going to draft him?
Speaker 4: As pure football players, I prefer prospect Love over prospect genty, not by leaps and bound. They're both in the same tier. I also think Love's a better receiver, which is helpful for fantasy. One of the beauties of genty who actually the league that won. I had the eleventh pick and I took him in a chan right around the band. I forget which I took first, And what I was so attracted to was there's nobody else in his backfield. I mean, like he's going to get such a workload, and that's what worries me. In Arizona. James Connor's there, Benson's there, they signed out year. Even if they trade Benson O'Connor. If I'm them and I'm one in seven, i am not running.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy rookie.
Speaker 4: And that was true for the Raiders too, but they still did it. I also think the rate of the Cardinals almost have to be more competent in terms of O line coaching in general. Supporting cast but love somebody I'm kind of staying away from and for where he's.
Speaker 3: Going and if he ends up falling in the price is right, there's a price.
Speaker 4: But there's other backs in that neighborhood with Breese Hall that I would take ahead of them. Gentm on the fence for I think that there's his situations way better than it was. They're a lot more competent that I think the old line should be better. He still doesn't have a lot of touch competition. He's still a good prospect. I never discredited him as a prospect. He's going about that first round, second round turn and we all got it burned a little by it last year, but he wasn't a miserable fantasy player when he was all said and done. There were some bad weeks, but there was also a couple of big explosive runs and he put some points out.
Speaker 3: No he did. He's a real He's a real one to keep an eye on this year. Yeah, where do you think he goes about that same spot in drafts this year? I think the first round.
Speaker 4: A second fifteen, top twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's I know, we always we always bas.
Speaker 4: Are definitely ahead of them, and then it's questionable.
Speaker 3: You and I always kind of chuckle when people say this, but it can't get worse. Right for the Raiders and that offense, it can, but it feels like they're in a much better Say.
Speaker 4: If you're that low, it's almost nowhere to go but up, especially if from an O line and coaching perspective.
Speaker 3: Honestly, buses are starting to load up here. I think everyone's going to be rolling out in the next few minutes. Matt and I have one more hour to go. When we return, you know, we'll start hitting those tweets. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. We'll also hear what Patrick Graham had to say earlier today in our bonus hour of the Drive here on campus at Saint Vincent College West Uler Matt Williamson. It is the Drive, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network