Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today. Karen, we begin with the latest on the war with Iran. The US is preparing for unprecedented economic isolation measures against Tehran. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessen says it's part of the Trump administration's effort to squeeze the regimes finances.
Speaker 4: The kinectic war ended after several weeks and we went from epic fury to economic fury, and at the President's orders, we have raised the level even again and watched the space for more announcements coming next week, because we are going to apply measures like have never been seen in the history of economic isolation on a country.
Speaker 5: And Treasury secretaries got best and told Newsmax the economic pressure will be part of a one to two punch that includes the continued blockade of Iran sports. The Iranian economy has taken a major hit, industrial capacity is damaged, and crude oil exports have been severely curtailed by the blockade.
Speaker 3: Well Oil rose Nathan after the US threatened to impose the economic measures against their run and checking prices now, Nimex Screwede oil is up one and a half percent at eighty two dollars forty nine cents of barrel Brent is at one percent at eighty seven dollars ninety two cents. Francisco Blanche, head of Commodity research at Bank of America, says dwindling inventories are a concern.
Speaker 6: Last six months, right, we've had this massive negative supply shocking oil and may people are surprised that it hasn't created a collapse in economic activity. But part of the reason is we have very high inventories. We've lost about twelve to thirteen hundred million barrels of oil as a result of Iran war. About two thirds of that gap has been met by inventories, which means GDP rules has only come down maybe thirty forty bases globally as opposed to one two three percent, So we can play that game for a little longer, but we're getting close to.
Speaker 3: The end of the rope, and Bank of America is. Francisco Blanche's comments come as Bloomberg reports supertankers are going dark for longer to get oil through the strait of forren moves and the bab Elmandeb straight doubling down on tactics honed in the early days of the Around War.
Speaker 5: It's staying with geopolitics, Karen. The Trump administration is downposing tariffs of up to one hundred percent on imported drones and drone components as it seeks to reduce reliance on foreign suppliers. Smaller drones will face a twenty five percent duty, while even lower rates will apply to some trading partners, including the European Union, Japan, and the UK. The move risks accelerating a decoupling with China. It is the world's biggest drone maker, and US drone exports from China have been cut in half in the first half of this year.
Speaker 3: Well, let's turn to bonds now, Nathan. There was a decent demand from buyers as the US sold thirty year government dead yesterday, but the Treasury had to offer a yield above five point two percent to sell twenty five billion dollars of bonds. That's the highest rate since two thousand and one. Bloomberg Intelligence is chief US interest rates strategist Ira Jersey says years of elevated inflation and deficit fueld spending add to the strain on government finances.
Speaker 7: The US Treasury now is competing with other countries worldwide. Whereas for the better part of two decades, we were the highest yielding developed market liquid bomb market in the world. That's just not the case anymore.
Speaker 3: There is competition, and Ira Jersey with Bloomberg Intelligence says concerns over paying down government debt will grow as debt to GDP rises. The US spent close to one point two trillion dollars on debt interest so far this fiscal year, of fifteen percent from a year ago.
Speaker 5: And Karen Global stocks are headed for a third straight weekly gain. Amid optimism over the AI trade and cooling inflation bowlstring bets. The FED won't have to raise interest rates, but some officials are raising the alarm about sticky inflation. Cleveland FED President Beth Hammick, one of the three dissenters at last month's meeting, doesn't have confidence that recent signs of an inflation slow down will continue.
Speaker 8: We've gotten two recent reports on the inflation side that are definitely better than the earlier five months that we've had this year, and so it's welcome. I love to see that those numbers are coming in lower. That's a good thing, but I don't have confidence that we're going to continue to see that, or that we're going to see them low enough that it's going to bring us back down to that two percent number.
Speaker 5: And an event that the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce, Cleveland FED chief Beth Hammick reiterated her call to raise rates now.
Speaker 3: May then there's still a disagreement among FED officials. Richmond FED President Tom Barkin argued to hold interest rates steady due to signs that inflation is declining. Speaking in South Carolina yesterday, Barkin said elevated inflation is coming from tariff and war shocks, which should pass. He acknowledged the risk that some price pressures could become embedded, forcing officials to tighten policy.
Speaker 5: In tech news this morning, Karen Sources tell Bloomberg that open ai is on track to generate more than forty billion dollars in annualized revenue that would roughly double its run rate from the end of last year. Bloomberg Markets editor Sam Unstead says the momentum strengthens open AI's case for a future Wall Street debut, as competition with anthropic intensifies.
Speaker 9: The thing to keep in mind with these two with Open AI aanthropic as well, that pair of them are kind of trading off at the moment and bolstering their own strengths and bolstering up their plans for an IPO later in the year for each company, and both IPOs expected to be enormous steels. So as they come up to that, I think you're likely to hear much more of this of how strong these businesses are, how good the revenue run rates, and then how good the outlooks are as well.
Speaker 5: And Bloomberg sam Unstead says Opening Eyes growth is being driven by AI coding tools, subscriptions, and a small but growing ad business.
Speaker 3: Nathan Elon mus Steak and SpaceX is valued at nearly nine hundred and seven billion dollars based on the company's latest share price must Calendar forty eight point four percent Steak and SpaceX as of June thirtieth, according to a regulatory filing, but says some shares only vest on crazy good outcomes. Despite owning less than a half of SpaceX's economic equity, Musk retains more than eighty two percent of the company's voting power and.
Speaker 5: Karen reddits set to join the S and P five hundred before this started trading on Tuesday. It's part of an off cycle change. The social media site will replace avalon Bay communities on the index. Right now, Reddit shares are up twelve and a half percent pre market.
Speaker 3: And legal news. Luigi Maggioni is expected to plead guilty Nathan to resolve federal charges relating to the fatal shooting of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson and begin more with a Bloomberg Law host June Grosso.
Speaker 10: Sources tell Bloomberg that prosecutors will recommend that Mangioni serve life in prison. The plea would come at a hearing, said after federal prosecutors and defense lawyers jointly requested one. Court records did not identify the purpose of the hearing. The twenty eight year old Mangioni is facing both federal and New York state charges over the shooting of Thompson in December of twenty twenty four outside of miss Town, Manhattan Hotel. June Grosso Bloomberg Radio June thanks.
Speaker 5: Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walters offered to pledge his stake in Goggenheim Partners as collateral to secure loans for his TWG Global Holding company. The firm's been exploring deals with investors to clean up loans on the insurer's balance sheet that have drawn scrutiny from federal prosecutors.
Speaker 2: Sources tell Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Proceeds from Walter's recent sale of the Los Angeles Lakers will help accelerate twg's efforts to clean up that balance sheet.
Speaker 3: And finally, Nathan, twenty twenty six is projected to become the world's hottest year ever. That's according to the nonprofit Berkeley Earth. An unusually powerful El Nino weather phase is raising the odds that this year will surpass twenty twenty four before twenty twenty seven sets a new high time. Now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 2: John, Good morning, Yeah, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 11: New York City's piet of tear tax is back on for now. The story this morning from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett, The.
Speaker 12: Rollout of New York's pietaire tax can proceed after an appeals Court in Brooklyn temporarily put a hold on a Staten Island judge's order blocking the plan. The court stayed the restraining order that was issued earlier in the week in a lawsuit filed by a group of homeowners. The tax was signed into law in May by Governor Hochel and to targets single family homes worth five million dollars or more and department's worth one million dollars or more. In New York, Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: Defense Secretary Pete Hagsith is pushing back in reports for The Military Times that outlines deteriorating conditions of where the USS Abraham Lincoln completely misrepresented.
Speaker 2: Listen, we make sure at every ship, every crew, every.
Speaker 7: Captain has everything we can provide them at every single moment.
Speaker 11: The Lincoln is deployed as part of combat operations in the Mideast. The ship has been two hundred and fifty days at sea. The report at ledges at least one sailor attempted to go overboard. Set Democrats say they've heard of safety concerns, water contamination, and shortage of basic supplies. More storms heading the Midwest overnight in areas that have already been hammered over the last couple of days. Thunderstorms into this morning may create rainfall rates of up to two inches per hour. Harvard University has one dismissal of a federal lawsuit claiming it had turned a blonde blind eye to anti Semitism and discrimination against Jews and Israelis. US District Judge Richard Stearns ruled the Justice Department didn't sustain its claims that Harvard violated a civil rights law. At President of Trump plans to highlight his record on crime and safety during a visit to New York today, where he's going to release new FBI crime statistics. Trump is visiting Nassau County's police academy. The visit aimed at boosting Republican candidate Republican Bruce Blakeman. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you wanted Bloomberg News. Now, I'm John Tucker. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Karen Nks John Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in on Stash Hour.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gary on baseball for the third time.
Speaker 1: Hell Day Field the Dreams game in Dyersville, Iowa. Tribute to the nineteen eighty nine movie and twenty six Hall of Famers emerged from the cornfield before the game. The Phillies then beat the Twins seven to one. Kyle Schwarber hit two home runs. Anel Division leaders met in la and Milwaukee with three runs of the night, thenning and beat the Dodgers five to four, five way time for the lead after the first round of the Saint Jude Golf in Memphis includes Jordan's Sweet Scottie Scheffler trails by three.
Speaker 2: That's your Bloomberg Sports Uptate.
Speaker 3: Stay with us more from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 5: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 5: As the impass continues with a run over the strait of hormones, the Trump Administration's leaning even further into economic pressure to try to get terror to bend. Treasury Secretary Scott Besson says, quote watch this space for even more announcements.
Speaker 2: Next week will be.
Speaker 4: A combination of economic isolation like the world has never seen before and the continued blockade in the straight of horror move.
Speaker 5: That was Treasury Secretary Scott Besson in an interview on Newsmax and joining us this morning from Dubai is the head of Middle East coverage for Bloomberg News, Stuart Livingston Wallace, Stuart, it's going to speak with you again this morning. I know Secretary Besson didn't reveal his cards much in terms of what that economic isolation could look like, but do we have a sense of what the Trump administration could be considering on top of what it's already imposed on Iran?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Yeah, good morning, Nathan. I'm going to that last bit is a very good point. This is a country that's been under sanctions for forty plus years. It is arguably well, it's certainly one of the most sanctioned countries in the world. It was probably overtaken by Russia a couple of years ago, but it's kind of up there. So the remaining options, we think are probably something along the lines of ado banking, cryptocurrencies, maybe even secondary sanctions, that is the third parties they trade with Iran. But the reality is is a dwindling number of countries that are prepared to do that trade precisely because of the threat. You know that they themselves will be damaged economically and sanctioned. So it's clear that the intention here is to squeeze Iran even further. But again, even on that point, it has to be acknowledged that Iran's economy is in pretty diastrates as it is. You know, you've basically got hyperinflation, You've got rolling blackouts across the country because they can't maintain the grid. Again, very difficult to get trade in or out. But we also know that Iran's had a lot of practice and is quite skilled at evading sanctions. But it'd be interesting to see what comes next week, for sure.
Speaker 5: And to that point, the fact that Iran has managed to weather so much of this pressure all this time, we've heard from Iran's military that it's reorganizing its leadership to be more agile and aggressive for potentially preparing for protracted conflict in the Middle East. What does that say about what Ron's thinking might be right now?
Speaker 13: I mean, it does seem to be the same playbook. I have to say that it's something surprising to sort of hear that they're you know, changing their stance to a more aggressive posture when you know, particularly for those of us living in the Gulf. I mean, I think the last several months have you know, could only be characterized as quite aggressive in terms of the thousands of missiles and drones that we fired, you know, across the Gulf. Having said that, I mean, it's clear that their viewers that they have gained unexpected leverage in a way that I don't think even they were expecting. And I'm talking specifically here about poor moons and buy and from that obviously a stranglehold over energy flows and other commodities to the global economy, and they're not willing to give that up. So I think what we're seeing for the US administration is, yes, you're going to have the pressure of the blockade, and that is for sure curbing Yourn's ability to get its own oil out, but at the same time continuing to squeeze it economically, and between those two things, hopefully pushing Iran into some sort of concession, particularly when it comes to moves. But on that much wider raft of issues, including nuclear proxies, missiless on it, it's a very very hot list.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg day Break your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 5: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 5: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long.
Speaker 2: I'm Karen Moscow and I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 5: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Right