Speaker 1: It's nine O Gen one with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: Oh and gee you guys. Yeah, yeah, this is crazy. Tory is not with us again this week. She's not feeling well. But we have a very very very very very very very special guest host today, don't we, Amy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I obviously agree.
Speaker 2: We have the number one, the number one, your number one, really and truly, let's introduce him without further ado. It's mister Iron's hearing.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: It's always thanks for having me on the podcast with you guys.
Speaker 4: This is always exciting.
Speaker 2: We love having you here. We love it.
Speaker 3: I only get nerves. I only get nervous when I'm here.
Speaker 1: But we we have to ask because you were the big topic a couple of weeks ago in an episode we didn't love, but we loved your smile.
Speaker 2: Oh it was last week, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It feels like a year ago, but I think it was last night.
Speaker 5: Was this?
Speaker 2: Do you remember the sixties episode oh with the wigs? Yeah? Yeah, he remembers that.
Speaker 1: Literally, think we said the only thing that we love about this episode is Steve Sanders smile.
Speaker 2: Where'd you get that smile?
Speaker 4: Uh? I bought it.
Speaker 5: I mean, like just about every other tooth in my mouth is not homegrown, So why not? No?
Speaker 2: Amy was asking, was that was that a smile that you procured just for the character of Steve Sanders or was this is this? Was this an Ion Zeering special? And I said, that's Ian's smile, that's his grint. That's like you're eating grin. You know that that one right there.
Speaker 4: I was bored with it. I was bored. I didn't you're eight. I didn't create a smile for the character.
Speaker 1: So dreamy though, And when Steve does it, it's so like, oh, I just can't I can't even I can't even mind his.
Speaker 3: Like crazy antics because the smile.
Speaker 2: So oftentimes we all have, we all three have the same notes on certain beats of the show, and this was a beat that both Amy and I were like, that smile, Oh my god, I will do for him.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I do, I sure do, I sure do.
Speaker 2: Well, whatever we're done building up, let's break him down now. O.
Speaker 1: No, first, first, before I have to say, he's at the jukebox and the whole thing is kind of like ridiculous, And then iron slash Steve just gives us this smile and the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, Oh, the episode's good. Okay, I'm in.
Speaker 2: For a moment. The episode was good because last week with Pete you but this week you guys. Episode twenty six blind Spot aired April sixth, nineteen ninety four. Amy, Would you like to read the synopsis this?
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 1: I finally learned how Steve Sanders can't keep a secret and accidentally betrays his buddy. David is vibing with his piano teacher. Well, Donna seeks revenge with DeShawn. Kelly's trying to get the guys to take their bands off for a good cause.
Speaker 2: Directed by Michael Lang, written by Ken Stringer. Do you remember Ken Stringer? See?
Speaker 4: I sure do.
Speaker 5: He was an assistant director and then he became the scheduling czar and then out of nowhere, I'm seeing scripts that he has written. So he's one of the many people that infiltrated the system.
Speaker 2: Well, this is one of them. This is his episode. And this is kind of a prickly episode, if you will. It's about a very sensitive subject matter, and certainly a subject matter that probably hadn't been talked about on a teen show back in nineteen ninety four, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Barshaw was ahead of its time and a lot of totally this is something that you know wasn't really discussed out in the open, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Affering to Yeah, the homophobic undertones of this episode are undeniable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 5: That's It's interesting to me that this was called blind spot when that really wasn't a storyline, right, you know, was that an attempt to hide?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I always love trying to figure out what the heck the title of the show means. But you just made me realize that the titles referring to David's storyline, yep, and not basically the a storyline this week.
Speaker 1: Unless at first Steve had a blind spot to what should be and then by the end of the episode he really realizes where he went wrong and what was the right thing to do.
Speaker 5: Just say, I'm sure that's how they rationalized it too.
Speaker 4: I don't see it that way, but you know, it's a groundbreaking episode, you know, very typical for them to use Steve Sanders as the foil.
Speaker 5: There were a lot of episodes that I had to do that really wasn't happy about. I think the worst of all of them was when I became a living PSA for sunblock. While skin cancer is a very serious problem, it was so stupid, Like this is another one of those episodes where.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think they dropped the ball.
Speaker 5: This could have been handled in such a way that would have been more meaningful and less buffoonish. You know, I think it's was really out of character for Steve to, you know, if he was really friends with this guy, to let the cat out of the bag.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all know one thing about Steve Sanders, it's that he was a good friend to people. Like, if you were in Steve's inner circle, you didn't this didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd fight for you, right, especially after what he did for you, you would have never betrayed him.
Speaker 5: And he was the KEG president. So it's like, but it was again Steve being the foil. You know, it would have been out of character for Brandon to be homophobic. It would have been out of character for Dylan or David Silver.
Speaker 4: But you know, with all the.
Speaker 5: At A, they never minded putting Steve out of character.
Speaker 1: They love to make Steve learn a lesson. They love to have Steve get it wrong in the beginning of the episode and then fully get it right by the end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it could have been so much more powerful. If they wanted to explore homophobia, then Steve should have had a kiss to figure out what the hell's going on here, you know, and then.
Speaker 4: Maybe the realization was for Steve that.
Speaker 5: You know, it's not for me, it's not for Steve, it's just not you know, handled it that way, you know, I think it could have been. I don't think the episode was really well written. I think it was pushed and a little forced and contrived, and I think they missed an opportunity to do something that really could have spoken a lot louder to the situation, the problem of homophobia, rather than addressing the stereotypes that break it that, you know, break homosexuality down to something that's verboten, something that's like, ooh, don't do that.
Speaker 2: I think back then it was more about stereotypes. It wasn't as flushed out of as a topic, especially on TV primetime teen drama.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone's situation is different. I mean I grew up in New Jersey, going into New York City every day auditioning. When I was fourteen years old, I was an understudy and a Broadway play.
Speaker 4: I was in the chorus for.
Speaker 5: I Remember Mama, and like every man in the chorus was gay.
Speaker 4: And I'm looking at this in the mirror, thinking, wow, I'm an actor. Am I gay? I don't think so. I kind of had a girlfriend. I kind of like girls, but I'm an actor, and so am I gay?
Speaker 5: And you know, it was never anything that really crystallized in my mind till I was in college and one of my classmates is in the bar at night on Thursday night, we had a rat scaler at William Patterson University and I'm looking at the girls on.
Speaker 4: The dance floor and he says, Hey, could I buy you a drink?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, oh, no, I I just got a beer. And I'm like looking at the girls on the dance floor. And while my elbows are on the bar. While I'm looking at the dance floor, his elbow he's right next to me, and I kind of feel his elbow touch of mind. I look down and I look up at him and he's looking at me, and I knew he was a gay man, and I thought first it crystallized in my mind. I had never had any homosexual experience, but that moment right there crystallized for me.
Speaker 4: Then I'm a heterosexual man.
Speaker 5: I told him. I said, look flattered, but it's not. It's just not me.
Speaker 4: But you know, more power to you.
Speaker 5: So it was never really a problem for me to be around the gay community.
Speaker 4: I accepted it. It's just, Hey, you know, everyone, you're.
Speaker 5: Lucky enough to find love. I don't care how you find it, if you can find it, or power to you. So, you know, maybe my perspective was a little scute. I wasn't happy with this episode. I wasn't happy with the writing, but nobody ever listened to me, so I did my job.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to ask you a question. You said this, you crystallize in that moment in college that you weren't gay. But what about that moment in the jacuzzie with me?
Speaker 4: Oh? That was way after Jenny. Yeah, are we talking about that?
Speaker 3: Jenny?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: I need to know what happened to me and my boyfriend at the time. We used to like to hang out with Ian and his girlfriend. I loved I and I want to hang out with them all the time. Apparently my boyfriend loved Ian too.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're not going to talk about it.
Speaker 3: You've told the turn. I wasn't expecting I'll talk.
Speaker 4: I'll talk about it.
Speaker 5: We were we went out one night, had a great time, went back to where I was living at the time, my girlfriend and I.
Speaker 2: We all was in an apartment.
Speaker 6: I remember we all got into uh a jacuzzi and uh, you know, I had my back to Janny and her boyfriend, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Making out with my girl and I think that they're doing the same thing at my back, and then all of a sudden, I feel like someone touching my shoulder, and you know, as I'm hugging my girl, I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: Nine oh two one, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Here, I'm thinking, like this is gonna be a hot night of monkey love.
Speaker 4: It's gonna go down. And as like I'm getting like crazy, I turn and I look.
Speaker 5: In my shoulder and they're hairy knuckles, not the feminine.
Speaker 3: Did you think it was Jenny?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was hoping it was me, absolutely, but.
Speaker 4: It was the hairy knuckle guy. And I was like, wow, it was a huge record scratch. I'm just not gay.
Speaker 1: I think that's interesting because most people watching nine O two and zero it was very like.
Speaker 3: Ahead of its time, Like you said, I am.
Speaker 1: I think today we're sort of cringe by parts of it, but then I think it was. And the one thing I will say that was really accurate is I went to a big college with fraternities where there were guys who were gay in the fraternity and they would have never He did not come out years later, So that part was very accurate, Like they definitely did not want anyone to know. Yeah, so that was that part. Mike Ryan, I have a question about him in a minute, but he was sort of accurate with the way he was portrayed already. Was the one where it was just like oh this.
Speaker 2: Oh he was a dipshit? What was this Jack Armstrong's first episode playing Mike Grind because Mike Grind's been played by two other actors previous. Yes, I think yes.
Speaker 3: And that's why it's so confusing because as.
Speaker 1: The fan or the viewer viewer, Yeah, when you go into the cafe, we're like who is that dude?
Speaker 3: Who is they don't know who that right?
Speaker 2: And then we go back to the even we go back to the cake house and we're still like, wait, who is he? And not until someone refers to him as you know, Mike Ryan, head of the KEG, a president of the KEG. Did we catch on? But that was very confusing, confusing for everybody. But he did a great job. And I remember working with him and he you know, he embraced this role and loved it and we had he had fun with it. Yeah, I can remember.
Speaker 3: He was a babe too. That guy was hot. That guy was He was perfect for that.
Speaker 1: I want to know what you guys, when you're watching it, are you cringe at some of the parts or are you like able to go back and say it was ahead of its time at the time, because that is real. There were guys in the fraternities that were gay that didn't want to say that part was very accurate.
Speaker 2: And was that kind of like you know, the way they treated him with the painting of his door pink and making all those terrible remarks to him in public and of other people, Like, was that is that something that went on in nineteen ninety four? Probably is that something that goes on today? Probably in certain places. But you know this, I think our show had to take a position on the story that they were telling, and the story that they were telling was really shaded from one perspective, we didn't get to hear, you know, Mike Ryan's story at all.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm trying to ads something here and I really don't know what to say. I was not happy with this episode. I like several of the I never really watched the show. How about that when it was on. I used to hear from my mom, who would watched the show? We were working?
Speaker 2: Or do they should do a podcast about it? Because then you can watch it for the first time.
Speaker 1: They do put Steve in a tough meaning you ian because they put Steve in this role of sort of being the buffoon in the beginning that doesn't really track with who he is.
Speaker 3: And then of course Brandon.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love Brandon, but he always has to get at it perfect, you know, he's always the smart, one perfect guy of course.
Speaker 5: Right, Well that's literally, literarily speaking, that's what a foil does is something that's juxtaposed to the protagonist who antagonist rather who is, shows a difference to highlight a particular situation. And you know, that's that was my job in a lot of these situations. But you know, personally I was never really comfortable with it, but again, just doing my job.
Speaker 4: You know, this is one of those episodes I didn't really care to watch.
Speaker 5: I thought it sucked when I read it. You know, it was a great story. I felt that they.
Speaker 4: Really missed the mark on making something that was impacted.
Speaker 2: You did do your job well because you did it with sensitivity, and you did it with you know this like wanting to learn. Like I could tell that your character was really open to learning and accepting, and that was a great message that your character was able to put out there for all the young guys watching the show.
Speaker 4: It could have been driven home so much stronger.
Speaker 1: I do think the speech at the end was very well done, though, when you're like, this is our brother, it doesn't nothing else matters than what this guy's character is. And I think you showed what the true character of Steve is by Ultimately, Steve always does the right thing, it just always takes him a minute to.
Speaker 5: Get there those words Reek of Steve Wasserman thinks, yeah, absolutely, because he was always the voice of reason. You know, anytime I had an issue, I wouldn't go to Chuck Rosen, I would go to Wasserman or Cline and ask him what's And Steve always had a way of rationalizing it in a way that it kind of made sense to me that it had more gravitas and sincerity rather than something light and superficial. There was depth in the world, he would explain it. And in those words, where it what you know, fraternities are about brotherhood. Ah wow, full circle. But the wind up punch to deliver that was wasn't even a wind up was all over the place. You know, it was incongruous with the character.
Speaker 4: It was not in line with.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of the stuff that uh my character brought to the table. And you know, we had a stretch and for me that that's a huge ask of the audience, you know, and that's why I would have a trouble when they would ask me to do this crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, it does It's true because in this one, the only one getting it wrong is Steve essentially, and then that idiot already. But like Donna's got it right, Kelly's got it right, Brandon's got it right, and they're all so like just almost beautiful and articulate in the way they're expressing it. And then it's it is unfortunate, like it doesn't track that this group of friends, Steve is the only one that's fully just an idiot about it, Like he would have never.
Speaker 3: Outed that guy.
Speaker 2: He would minus. The sick thing is they thought I was one too, right, Yeah, Oh that bothered me so gross.
Speaker 4: All right, I had to say that out loud.
Speaker 2: You had to say that, and a few people heard it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and yet the show still continue to be wildly successful, you know, and you know it. Things like that are are damaging to the character. It's like, I don't like Steve for saying that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: He redeemed himself by the end.
Speaker 3: He does, he really does.
Speaker 2: That's how they'd love to teach the lessons to the people.
Speaker 3: Always with a bow, always, always with the bow.
Speaker 2: How about have you ever been to a gig gay coffeehouse where it's all gay men?
Speaker 3: That was the worst part of the whole thing for him.
Speaker 1: That doesn't even exist.
Speaker 4: They needed a vehicle, so they had to go. They couldn't go to a I guess they could. Could they have gone to a bar?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I think we were too young, too.
Speaker 2: Young for a kid.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you're not.
Speaker 2: That would have been good. What about when Brandon says, uh, they're not going to cop a feel over a cup of coffee. I'm not going to cop a feel.
Speaker 1: Do you want cappuccino? Do you want cappuccino? Do you want like cappuccino?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Can you just clarify for me? Could you say that word again?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 3: No, I iron cappuccino?
Speaker 4: What did I stutter? Cappuccino?
Speaker 2: Cappuccino? Why were you saying cappuccino?
Speaker 3: I didn't notice that?
Speaker 2: Well, bugged me? Cappuccino. I've never had a.
Speaker 3: Cop Can I just have one?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Cute iron Jenny moment?
Speaker 1: Because you call her Gen and she calls you I, and I like want to faint. It's so oh cute, it's so freaking cute. And this is the first time you haven't just been together on a plane. By the way, could you two bump into each other more on a plane?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna see Jenny at another event down in Tampa in September.
Speaker 4: I'll see the rest of the cast there as well.
Speaker 3: Hopefully.
Speaker 2: Will you please get on my flight.
Speaker 3: I need to know what this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's a big nineties reunion kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Let's it's so much fun when we're together. Oh my god, how do you feel about being on the B list for the calendar, really sticking it to you, and yeah, you can't even get on the calendar.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 5: Way to strengthen your your characters, you know, you know, And I don't think I even raised a beef with that. Like whatever, let's just get through this people.
Speaker 2: You have another thing to worry about in this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, like the ripped.
Speaker 2: Like like like preparing your chest hair for your shirtless scenes in the boxer shorts.
Speaker 4: I remember, did I save?
Speaker 2: I remember?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: You trimmed?
Speaker 4: I remember I always trimmed my manscape.
Speaker 2: You manscaped, but back then there was no term for it. There was no manscaping. But you were the person that taught me about manscaping.
Speaker 3: No way, you were.
Speaker 4: I talked to you about manscaping.
Speaker 2: You had your little peanut shaver thing, and in the makeup trailer you would fire that thing up and take your shirt off and just be.
Speaker 4: Like, the peanut is tiny. You got I wouldn't. Big Buzzer the one who taught me.
Speaker 2: That I had to groom my armed hair.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I told you how to groom your arm hair.
Speaker 2: Yes, you decided that it needed to be shortened. And you showed me how to do it.
Speaker 4: It was just a little too damn long.
Speaker 2: But it was for sure.
Speaker 1: Speaking of sort of like a couple of weird notes on this episode, one being when Brandon and Deshaun are in the locker room and Deshaun is fully shirtless with the towel around.
Speaker 5: Him in.
Speaker 1: Full shirt on close it a towel.
Speaker 2: Would you stand? Would you would you stand next to Shawn if you look like that? Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other cringey thing is how me and y'all are to Andrea for eating.
Speaker 3: She's pregnant.
Speaker 2: Shaming her? Is that what it's called?
Speaker 1: Now? She was pregnant, and the characters pregnant y'all.
Speaker 3: Are being so mean, like, oh, do you need two mega Brogers? You need two mega birgerds.
Speaker 1: Brenda was awful. She's like, I know, I need to stop eating and actually just shoving the noodles down, and then Brenda's like, yeah, you do, like it was just.
Speaker 2: Like and then Kelly says that he's eating for three Yeah means, listen, you get one chance, well maybe two or three in my case, to eat whatever five and Toy's case, to eat whatever you want and gain weight and it's okay, it's acceptable by society. Uh, but yeah, those are the days. Eat whatever the hell you want. People.
Speaker 3: What do we think of the David falling in love with the piano teachers for five minutes storyline? But really it was just.
Speaker 2: What Okay, I'm so confused. Are Donna and David back together? Are they boyfriend and girlfriend in the beginning of this episode because Donna says they are, but then he says roommates, and then he says roommate and then the teacher.
Speaker 4: Tear him up? How could he cannot tear him a new one?
Speaker 1: For right there?
Speaker 4: A roommate right when.
Speaker 2: Donna walked in the apartment. Yeah, and she doesn't even see the girl's face, Like she doesn't even see her or not, she doesn't know anything about her, but she just automatically gets like upset and hates her because they're playing the piano tagarts and.
Speaker 1: She was so bitter. Yeah, she was so aggressively bitter about it.
Speaker 6: So do we know.
Speaker 2: If Sydney Brown who played Holly Marlowe.
Speaker 1: So we think she was not because she was in an episode of Mad About You where she was not blind, so we're not assuming she wasn't, which actually also wouldn't happen today. You would never cast somebody I mean, I guess like Jamie Fox as Ray, but you would not probably cast that part to a non blind actor. No, right, that's not that sort of is kind of not cool.
Speaker 2: She was very good at it. She was very convincing. I thought she was blind one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Me too. We don't know if she was playing piano either.
Speaker 2: I don't think she was playing piano.
Speaker 3: I'm going to put a good she was good at.
Speaker 5: I want to believe he was blind more than she was playing that piano. I mean, that's not easy stuff to do, That's.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, you can always tell when they cut away to just the hand on the keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well Brian did Brian sleeve? Did Brian have that look?
Speaker 2: I was going to say, those looked like Brian's hands.
Speaker 4: Play the piano?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it was simple enough my go was he.
Speaker 2: Was playing I think so too, I mean those look like his hands.
Speaker 1: I feel like if this episode was forty four minutes, that they only had script for like thirty nine minutes, because there was a lot of keyboard in the beginning, like just a lot of pill and then a lot of pill of calendar photos at the end, like a good solid minute ninety seconds just montage of calendar.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I mean, I'm a big fan of this episode.
Speaker 1: I also remember like the photos from the calendar, Like in my mind, I was like, oh, I've seen that.
Speaker 3: I've seen that. I've seen that.
Speaker 1: Like it also was very especially like Brandon and Luke, Like sorry Brandon and Dylan, Jason and Luke. Those are sort of iconic images, like I remember him in that cap like.
Speaker 3: And that surfboard one waterfly.
Speaker 2: There's so those two couldn't like do it seriously. They had to make a mockery of it.
Speaker 4: With there Brian Brian young kid. Young Brian was so thin.
Speaker 2: I didn't hadn't hit his puberty yet, I don't think.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, but he didn't mind. I mean he he.
Speaker 2: Like embraced it, jumped in, took all his clothes.
Speaker 5: I love.
Speaker 2: On the couch with this full heart candy in front of his you know, really good. I love that was my favorite image. And and you looked really cute in your little golf totally, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, so stupid.
Speaker 2: You know again, I had to rewind it because all the Boxers. They were panning across all the Boxers, all the different patterns, and I saw one that had sharks on it. I was like, oh my god, if Ian is wearing the Boxers with the.
Speaker 3: Sharks on all that freak out crazy.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't. You had ducks on yours, and yeah, the future on.
Speaker 4: Me and I thought for a second my junk had dropped out the bottom.
Speaker 2: I was very so when you're pulling them up, it got a little breezy down there.
Speaker 1: It was like a super cute bit, Like that was a cute bit.
Speaker 3: I was not mad at it at all.
Speaker 2: No, And I remember having fun shooting that, like everybody just had fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was good fluff to support a storyline. You know, it was ever mentioned before or after, but that was That was a great way to build the whole Yay storyline up. Yeah, help reveal facts and build story on. Good architects to build story on.
Speaker 3: We got a brief view of Rocky two.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, he's so cute. That dog Rocky too. And don't you know how sometimes you look like your dog. I think Donna and Rocky two very similar, like color schemes. They look so cute together.
Speaker 4: What happened to that dog?
Speaker 2: Was that the only episode he was ever in? This was his second episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that dog might kind of blink away?
Speaker 4: And did they ever talk about where the dog went? Did they ever talk about Rocky one?
Speaker 3: Rocky one went to Heaven?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know about Rocky two. I guess we'll wait and see what happens in the next, you know, episodes.
Speaker 1: Can I also say that I would have absolutely loved a Donna Deshaun storyline. They had chemistry tree right. That was a miss because they would have been great. They were really cute, they got along. I genuinely believed he liked her. She was into it, like I.
Speaker 3: Would have liked that.
Speaker 4: Didn't they have an interracial couple with Vivica.
Speaker 5: Fox and Brandon and Jay Yeah, I forget the character's name, but yeah, there was.
Speaker 1: Andrea too, But they wouldn't like they just wouldn't let it go a distance right, like they dip their toe in.
Speaker 2: That could have been a good storyline offshoot for her character. But yeah, I was disappointed too because I always have loved uh when they do stuff with DeShawn. I hate it though that he was in another Uncle Sam outfit? Like, oh, wasn't he in an Uncle Sam outfit?
Speaker 3: And like, oh no, I didn't even pick up on that in.
Speaker 2: The sixties episode?
Speaker 3: Was he in the sixties episode?
Speaker 2: There was like a shot of him at the you know, hippie thing and he was dressed as Uncle Sam.
Speaker 4: Chris what a great guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's a really good actor and he is.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I saw when my note was Deshaun is the beautiful in that towel?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, he was good.
Speaker 1: Also, Leslie Sumner got about one thousand mentions in an episode she is not in, like they really gave her.
Speaker 3: I was like, ps, who's lost?
Speaker 4: You know who she is?
Speaker 5: She is?
Speaker 2: When I was watching, I was like, wait, well.
Speaker 1: They could not have talked about her more? And am I wrong? Or was Brenda literally in one scene no? Three I think three minimal? Oh yeah, maybe when the Wallses were packing all that lettuce.
Speaker 2: What's happening by that? Like I said last week, is there a band aid that's about to get ripped off? I don't know what's happening. It's making me very uncomfortable and men, yes, and you know when you're like, oh wait, she's only in two scenes, she's only in three scenes. You know, you're anticipating something, you just don't know what it is, but we know what it is how it's handled.
Speaker 3: This is the last five episodes she's in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I think that's why, because I mean I don't know, like there's all the rumors, but she they're definitely not using it.
Speaker 2: It's so watching it as a fan now, completely taking my own experience out of it, which I've pretty much forgotten anyway. Uh, I don't it's so fun when she's around with the group, when they're all together and they're all having their laughs, like the photo shoot, you know, Kelly and Brenda are just you know, ornery together and laughing, and I feel like that's gonna be so weird for me as a as a fan and as a viewer of the show for the first time to have one of the main cares disappear.
Speaker 4: What episode was she gone halfway through the fifth season?
Speaker 1: No, the first Tiffany shows up in the very first episode of season five. So so Shannon only really has like five episodes left. I'm pretty sure she's got You've got this. We're getting there, Like I think Brandon goes to Washington soon remember that there's like the.
Speaker 3: Mister Walsh goes to Washington.
Speaker 1: Those are like that was like the big two parter, and then I think that's it. I think Tiffany rolls in in season five episode one?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: Season five or season? What do we all? Season four? Okay? Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It does seem obvious now with our like knowing what we know that she was slowly sort of disappearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except for that weird six Days episode, which.
Speaker 2: Which I kind of wish she had disappeared. Sorry, everyone's gonna hate that.
Speaker 1: No, Charles Rosen, Like, Charles Rosen reached out. He's coming on because he wants to defend that episode, which I was like ring it.
Speaker 3: We got a lot of We got a lot of questions about that.
Speaker 2: He wasn't offended, but yeah, everybody's entitled to their opinion.
Speaker 3: And we no, maybe he can convince us we were wrong. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: No, So, like, how do you guys feel about this episode as a whole?
Speaker 2: Oh, we usually rate it. Do you want to?
Speaker 4: It was clear that I thought it sucked.
Speaker 2: I know, how many fingers one out of ten would you give it?
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 5: You know, there were some very wonderful moments within this. It can't go any lower than a five any episode.
Speaker 2: Well, it can because it has. But okay, was a three? Well, if you take the script, is the script right?
Speaker 1: I actually think you all did very well with what you were given. So for a person like me, that's the fan I was hooked in, even though there's a couple of moments that were cringey. I think in the nineties I probably was like, this is great. I'm not sure I would have thought it was cringing.
Speaker 3: In the nineties.
Speaker 4: No, would you even know what that was to be? You know, ringy?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. That's like literally the best question. Did we cringe at things?
Speaker 4: We must say, maybe winds like, but is it cringey?
Speaker 2: We gagged with a spoon?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I think then we would have been like, I don't think we would have realized how horrific Artie was and just how sort of Steve was not getting it right, do you know what I mean? Like, I think we would have been like, Okay, this is the story, and we would have just followed along in the story, and at the end we would have been like, yeah, get lost, Artie everybody else is great, Bye bye Arty.
Speaker 5: You know, I think if I would have given this a little higher mars, if there was a build up to Steve's homophobia, if there were other things that led up to it other than this one episode would all of a sudden nowhere out of nowhere. It's just something that that I really felt.
Speaker 4: The show got wlong several times.
Speaker 1: Well, and we all forget what some David Lasher's character gay remember that in like season one, Yeah, yeah, so's yeah right, and like it was no big thing. So I don't know, but I give this an eight and a half. I love it.
Speaker 2: That's okay, I'm going to give it a six.
Speaker 1: I was like at the end when after the calendar thing, I turn off my team and I'm like that that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it redeemed itself with the calendar shoot.
Speaker 3: Totally and the speech. Steve's speech really kind of brought it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: The guys did the right thing, they really did, and they didn't do the right thing in like a super cheesy way.
Speaker 3: They did the right thing in the right way. It was just getting there. It had some flaws a lot of flaws.
Speaker 1: And then you're so mad you didn't get to the Dodger game till the fourth inning, and I'm like, that's when we all get there.
Speaker 3: Like that was fine.
Speaker 4: Just never ever do.
Speaker 5: A series of writers episodes to see if there's any uniformity, anything that is obvious that one particular writer's style, Like I think Kenny Stringer.
Speaker 4: Did maybe four or five episodes. It would be interesting to see.
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 5: To do, like segmented series of Okay, now we're exploring Larry Mullins, now we're exploring exploring Ken Stringers.
Speaker 4: You know, we can definitely tell.
Speaker 3: We can definitely tell.
Speaker 1: When Jason directs, the episodes have a totally different and we've talked about that.
Speaker 3: They have a total They sort of.
Speaker 1: Have a like a I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 3: They have like a.
Speaker 2: Little movement more fun.
Speaker 1: It's more fun, wacky sort of there's like, I don't a zutle zing to them, right. If you watch them, you totally get You're like, oh, yeah, it's got a different tone and I don't mind it.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's fun to see you guys. Whenever Jason directs, it's fun to see the guys scenes because we Tory and I know what was going on behind the camera and off set, you know, so it kind of comes across in the storytelling.
Speaker 1: Did we decide that Jason directed the Sixties one? He did, right, and then he did the Magic Mountain one, and they do they're sort of zany.
Speaker 2: Like like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the funniest is like the one, the best one is the one of the Magic Mountain because it's so like I literally picture all y'all like kind of like this doing that commercial. It's very inane.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, yeah, I like it. Well that's it. I mean, we really don't have anything else to talk about with this episode. I don't feel like there were I mean, yeah, we covered it all.
Speaker 5: He had asked me if if I would write lines on Jason's forehead.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, wait Mite.
Speaker 3: That was oh my god.
Speaker 1: Before we came on you guys, Iron revealed something amazingly.
Speaker 3: You have to tell this.
Speaker 5: We would shooting double up episodes. I think we did thirty two episodes one season, and it was at a point where we would have to shoot two episodes.
Speaker 4: In the time of one. So we had mirror crews.
Speaker 5: There were two makeup trailers, there were two wardrobe departments. There were two of everything, two cameras working on different shows simultaneously at the sound stage, or maybe somebody was on location, whatever it was, and it happened so quick. There was so much work in such a short amount of time. You know, we really would rely on the script supervisor to help get us into where we are what we're doing, because I just came from another set. We would go back and forth between different episodes and would be confusing. And you know, there were a couple of times where I would have so many words I couldn't remember my lines that I would cut up in the cut script and I would put it on Jason's chest and I would take it to his chest and I would put my hand on his shoulder and lean in.
Speaker 4: And you know, the camera would be over his shoulder.
Speaker 5: You couldn't obviously see, but just to give me some cheat sheet to know what I was saying.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, that happened several times.
Speaker 3: I think the Friends.
Speaker 1: The Friends cast is admitted to having their scripts like on the dinner table.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, there's got to be some scripts that you know, little easter eggs on our show where oh.
Speaker 4: That's a script right there, on the table. I haven't noticed it, but it'd be interesting to hear from.
Speaker 5: The fans that are watching to, you know, question, what what does this you know, little have thing that's sitting on the sofa back there.
Speaker 4: You know, we were all on the time.
Speaker 5: That's good, you know, whether they were the day's sides or an actual script or whatever.
Speaker 4: There's always, you know, every once in a while.
Speaker 1: I also thought everyone got a haircut for this episode. Like literally everyone looked like they had fresh haircuts. I'm convinced y'all get them. At the same time, I'm like, everyone looks like they had a haircut.
Speaker 5: I was wearing a kind of tight I think I was using a little final net on that ship, didn't I didn't, you know, I would set it and forget to walk out.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Luke was always like fixing this up due Jason's always straightening his browse his cydeburns because he had some unruly ones.
Speaker 4: He always wanted to same direction. You know.
Speaker 5: Brian would like, shave it down, it wouldn't move, But me, like, if.
Speaker 4: It got too big, it would be crazy. Yeah, I'd spray it down with.
Speaker 2: Some It's not called final net, by the way, I thought that was hairspray Final Net. It was one Net.
Speaker 3: What's I think?
Speaker 4: Actually it was a product called A vec A V E C. It was like glue. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Clearly nobody was talking to me about how my hair should because it was nightmare.
Speaker 2: You're acting was so good, and your teeth are so bright.
Speaker 3: The smile is noticed.
Speaker 1: The smile is so dreamy, like Steve can do anything because he just gives that smile.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad you think so amy, you know, I think I think I know what you're saying. The episode where Steve was Santa Claus in the that was cute was that the smile is.
Speaker 1: That the stranger smile is weirdly the sixties episode and other people other fans noticed it too. They they wrote us that they because we commented on it for a good long minute because it was so charming.
Speaker 4: Well, if anybody sees it, screenshot it and send it to me. Dealing on social that is not serious. If it's that good, I need to recreate this really good.
Speaker 1: It's almost like like it's that good. It doesn't have that, but it's like a little effect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you should have had an effect, little sound effect, a little sparkle on the K nine.
Speaker 1: I'm not I know this episode has some cringe, but I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't nearly as bad as last week, so I'm feeling better about continuing forward, which reminds me next week we are moving on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the next one?
Speaker 2: The next episode is something about Divas? I think, uh, yeah, well it's called Divas. It's a season four episode twenty seven. Everybody, do your homework, watch the show so we can rip it apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we literally have.
Speaker 4: How many episodes did we do this season? Thirty two? Thirty two? Season of double ups?
Speaker 1: I think it's a little confusing if you count the finale as one or two. I think we're gonna count as two, So thirty one thirty two because it's like a big two hour finale.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this was one of those years where we, yeah, were two crews for like five or six episodes.
Speaker 2: Oh brutal, wow, yep, and we're still standing. Thank you I for.
Speaker 1: Coming, and Amy, thank you so much for including me and your little party here.
Speaker 4: Happy to sit in. I hope Toy is feeling better soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah you yeah. In the everybody, have a great week. We love you.
Speaker 4: Bye everybody.