Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio final hour in this Monday Dan and the dan Ne's Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. We will give you our best and worst of the weekend coming up. Also, we'll write the headline you got tonight's game in Arizona. It'll be the Rams and the Vikings. The Vikings favored by two and a half eight seven seven three. DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter HANDLELYDP Show stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to chat Row and our radio affiliates around the country, numbering over four hundred cities. Seaton. We'll finish up the poll question from our two and then give us a new one for hour three.
Speaker 2: Right now, Hour two, we got up there losing NFL team from this weekend. That should feel the goodest. The Broncos running away with that one. We also had up there quarterback that had the worst weekend justin Herbert Jordan loved Baker Mayfields finishes in that order justin Herbert running away with that one.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 1: So what's the poll question for hour three?
Speaker 2: He's had a little bit of a couple of years, but I think everybody thought that the new coach bump would help him this year.
Speaker 1: I think it did, though, right, Yeah, I think so. I think Harball was trying to make him a quarterback, like they weren't dependent on passing, just like at Michigan. I think he wanted to have a balanced attack. I just didn't think their receiving corps allowed them to be a balanced attack. And I didn't think they had a great running game either. So I think Harball got a lot out of that team this year. And you know the irony is they didn't turn the ball over and then that's all they did in this situation. All right, So final hour poll question is going to be.
Speaker 2: Well, this one's a little specific, but if you were a Steelers fan, what would you do with Mike Tomlin?
Speaker 1: I would ask Mike does he think he still has this team? Like he might need something, He might need to take a year off, two years off, maybe go into TV, something like that, because it's just not good enough in Pittsburgh where you're making the playoffs. Hey, we made the playoffs. That's not good enough. And I'd ask Mike, what do you want to do? How long do you want to do this? We have to come up with some kind of solution here if you're going to stay, And I agree with Tony Dungee, who were you bringing in? But if I said to Pittsburgh fans today, you can have Ben Johnson of the Lions or Mike Tomlin. Now I'm not going to say Aaron Glenn because Aaron Glenn is a defensive minded coach. But if you can bring somebody in. Now you brought in Arthur Smith. If you're going to bring in Ben Jonson, are you going to keep Russell Wilson? Would you have justin Fields because he gives you more options? Would you keep both of them? So I think that it's a tricky question. I think it's a fair question to ask from the standpoint of he has been disappointing. It used to be you made the playoffs. This is you made the playoffs and then you lose every year in the first round. And I think that has to be addressed at some point this offseason. I think you have to ask it, and it's a tough question to ask. Look, the Cowboys moved on from Tom Landry, like teams move on from legendary coaches. You might have to move on from Mike Tomlin for the betterment of this organization, Gampa.
Speaker 4: And it's a little similar to the Cowboys Mike McCarthy. They're always ten, eleven, twelve plus wins. They don't have the six win season that gives you the opportunity to fire them. Mike Tomlin. I don't know if he's ever had a we talked about a bad season. Fremis nine wins an off year, fram is nine. They never get it. But it is that a good Is that a good enough season?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: But it hurts the owners options or the GMS options. If a team goes six wins, you have the fan support behind the firing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is that the final hour pool cunt? Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 6: And if the new head coach comes in, he'd better do better. He better win a playoff game the next season, because Pittsburgh fans are going to say, Okay, why we fire Mike Tomlin for this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I was surprised that. You know, the local reaction to Tomlin is different than the national reaction. But I think he's held in such high regard by Annaly. I think people are afraid to criticize Mike. I do. And I think this is a situation where it's a bottom line industry and you're not coming up with playoff wins. And you know, I get a stat in their last five or six playoff games, they've trailed by as many as twenty one points in every one of those games. Can't be competitive, Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: I think part of it, though, is like there are way worse places to be than where the Steelers are right now.
Speaker 1: There are way worse teams than that. There are way worse They're pretty competitive every year. I don't know. I mean that sounds pretty good. So you would stay with Tomlin if I said the next three years, you're going to make the playoffs. After that, you don't know what happens in the postseason. You make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Would I keep Mike Tomlin for those three years to make the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. But you're not winning in the playoffs. You're making the playoffs. See. I think that's the problem. You know, Pittsburgh, they expect to win championships, compete for championships, other organizations. They make the playoffs. We don't make the playoffs. We were the team or one of the teams to beat in the playoffs. And I think that's the difference is they don't feel threatening. You lose what your last four games of the regular season, four or five games, and then you go into the postseason like most teams go into the postseason winning. You know, hey, they put together three or four wins. Those are the dangerous teams Pittsburgh. That's why they were a nine point underdog against the Ravens. Yes, Paulin, it's kind of apples and oranges here. It's not a direct comparison.
Speaker 4: But seven eight years ago when the Chiefs had Alex Smith, they're playing good football, they're appearing in the playoffs. He's playing above average football. They had under contractor they could have stuck with him, give him a new deal, and they said, no, let's try something really different. Mahomes was not beloved coming out of college. You've talked about this one hundred times project project, and they took a gamble and look where they are. It feels like the Steelers are in a different situation. Though as far as the history.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to know if I'm bringing that other guy in that I know he's going to be an upgrade. I don't know if there's anybody who's an upgrader for Mike Tomlin. Now you might get different results, maybe, but the Steelers are so loyal and maybe loyal to a fault that you know you're going to keep Kower for twenty years and Chuck Nole for twenty years, and then you know Mike Tomlin, but you know it ended with Chuck Nole, It ends with you know these legends, at least some of them. You talk about somebody who needs a win, Sam Donald. A win tonight is really really important because you got a quarterback who's a free agent in waiting. If he has back to back bad games, I don't know what the perception is going to be of. It's kind of saying Sam Darnold that he does show glimpses of being great, maybe a franchise quarterback, But if he wins this game tonight and they are favored by two and a half, But talk about somebody who needs to win a game Sam Darnold does just to clear up that mess that he had against Detroit, And you know you don't want to be sort of a here comes another a younger Kirk Cousins, where hey, he can look pretty good, but then he can also look pretty bad. And Sam is still young. We all know that with his age. I think he's been twenty seven for five years. It's like Sam Darnald, he's twenty seven. I go, is he's still twenty seven. You have Paul, But.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to the Steelers and Sam Darnald to just pair them for a second. If you were three years ninety million dollars on Russell or three years on Sam, same price, I think they're like eight years difference those two. That that seems like maybe a direction the Steelers could take a chance.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would be in on Sam Donald over Russell Wilson because I'm getting a quarterback that's probably around the same, but I'm getting a younger quarterback and Sam might be a better athlete than Russ at this time. But if you don't get a wide Sam Darnold has Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison, like let's just start there. Russ has George Pickens, who's a crapshoot, like I wouldn't want him on my team, but you know. Remember it was Matt Canada members the offensive coordinator, and now they got rid of him, thank god. Then you brought in Arthur Smith. Yeah, we're going to rejuvenate this offense. It just didn't happen. It's still a team that feels like our franchise that's predicated on playing great defense and running the football and having that mentality of Mike Tomlin. I just I don't know if it's run its course, but you have to find that coach where you say this is an upgrade, this is what we need. All right, So we got our pole question for the final hour of the program. We will write the headline a little bit later on. Let's go around the room, best and worst of the weekend, Todd, I'm going to start with you your best in your worst, Best of the weekend.
Speaker 7: Saturday afternoon at Cameron Indoor, Duke's Cooper Flagg scores a career high in an ACC freshman record forty two points. Blue Devil's over noted eighty six to seventy eight worst. We've mentioned it several times today. Justin Herbert, who threw only three picks all season, picked off four times by the Texans. First play on NFL history to throw more picks in a single playoff game than in the entire regular season with.
Speaker 3: A minimum of two hundred attempts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's impressive what he did during the regular season, and it's impressive what he did in the postseason throwing four picks. I was watching Cooper flag and I kept thinking, is Notre Dame just going to let him score? Like you're You're not even devising your defense to stop him. It's like, you know, I think we can handle him. I think we can play man. And I go, he's going to go for thirty, and then all of a sudden, you know he's going to go for forty. He probably could have gone for fifty if he wanted to. But I don't know what Notre Dame was thinking. But you know, the next time they play them, I wouldn't employ the same kind of defense set invest and worst of the weekend my best the weekend.
Speaker 2: I know Jayden Daniels, obviously he's a superstar, there's no doubt about that. Doing it in the playoffs is gigantic. But you cannot underestimate the importance of Terry McLaurin to the commanders. That dude, he's a boss, a boss and a half, and he had just an unbelievable catch just the other day that was really fantastic. Even more better, though, is just running backs in general.
Speaker 1: This weekend.
Speaker 2: I can't think of a time that I saw so many plays where a running back would get like hit behind the line of scrimmage and still go for twelve yards or get tackled at about eight but somehow stay up and push to fifteen or something.
Speaker 1: It was just crazy. What a weekend for powerbacks, I guess. Yeah, and I know that people will be like, who wants to see three yards in a cloud of dust? But it wasn't that. It was three yards get hit and then yards after contact. Yeah, and you saw that. It was prevalent throughout the league. Everybody loves to, you know, throw the football. We like that excited. But there's also part of me that likes that running back and a running back will decimated defense far more than a passing game, because that's just constant. That's just like damn, here comes Derrick Henry again, here comes Saquon Barkley again. Now, unless it's a record setting year with a quarterback and a wide receiver, it's just different because you stop one, you stop the receiver. But if you're going to run the you know, run the ball. Now, I got to deal with all these offensive linemen. That's a great offensive. Both these teams have really good offensive lunch. They just pound you, and they keep you out there, and they're going to come right back out at you and pound you again. It's like the boxer who doesn't have a one punch, but he's just going to continue to pepper you at the end. And that's what you saw there. Marvin Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: My best, speaking of running backs, I'm going to go with James Cook or the Buffalo Bills. Twenty five carries one hundred and twenty yards once. I if they win the Super Bowl, man, he's gonna be a big part of that. My worst of the weekend, and I like this guy a lot. Mika Fitzpatrick of the Pittsburgh Steelers getting just absolutely destroyed by Derrick Henry.
Speaker 3: The stiff arm was just nasty.
Speaker 6: I felt really bad, and that's saying something because he's one of the better safeties in the NFL and Derrick Henry just treated him like a practice player.
Speaker 1: Don't go up top on Derrick Henry like just try, you know, try to get his ankles, don't go up top. And that's he's like kid hunner here. You know. It's like when you have your little brother in the backyard and you just throw his face right in the dirt. Paulie best and worst of the weekend. I was gonna go Terry McLaurin. He's awesome, but I'm an audible to Nico Collins. Similar situation. Not a household name that I have to say. It's from the Houston Texans. He's a great wide receiver. He he's carrying them right now with the receivers. He's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Worse the weekend, I want to go back to Friday Night, down seven, the long Runta, this great five to six minute drive. They get it down to the goal line. They get a penalty, so you're first and goal at to one. They get buried seven yard loss incompletion, stripsack fumble goes the other way for seven points. You had them, You had a chance. You could have scored seven and gone for two and maybe stole this game out of nowhere.
Speaker 8: The Longhorns at the goal line were terrible.
Speaker 1: Back to Terry McLaurin, Terry Mclaurin's one of those guys that when you watch the Commander's play, you're reminded of how good he is, but you don't bring his name up when it comes up with other wide receivers. But when you're watching, you go, he's good, He'll make he'll make a player or two where you go, well, that's right, he is really good. Yes, Mark.
Speaker 6: And it's weird because it's now like he went to like Delaware State, he went to Ohio State. So I'm just kind of flabbergast to how he wasn't a bigger star until now.
Speaker 1: Maybe let's take a break. Yes, no, no, no, sorry, go ahead, let's take a break. We'll get some more phone calls coming up. Best and worst of the weekend. We'll write the headline for tonight's game. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich Davis, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up.
Speaker 1: As they say, i'd.
Speaker 10: Say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 1: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Never too early to look ahead to the matchup in Buffalo with the Ravens and the Buffalo Bills. So you got josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Here is the Bills head coach Sean McDermott.
Speaker 11: If you weren't coaching at a game next week, would you want to buy a ticket to watch Lamar and Joshua?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I mean this is what this is what everyone's been waiting for, right, So it'll be it'll be a nice week and everyone'll be looking forward to it. And you know they're a great football team, right, I mean, they handled us pretty good the first go around, and you know they're they're certainly playing well, well coached. John's won a Super Bowl and it comes from great pedigree.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna be a big challenge for us. This would be probably comparable to you know, back in the day when Duke of North Carolina were really really good, you know, top five teams, like if they met in the Elite eight as opposed to the final four of the title game. That's what this feels like. You got the two best quarterbacks, the MVP candidates, and they're going to be meeting in the divisional round. The Washington Commanders their first win since January of two thousand and six, so the team was a different nickname. Then they also beat Tampa Bay. Some of the things from two thousand and six. Joe Gibbs was Washington's head coach, Last time they won a playoff game. John Gruden was Tampa Bay's head coach. The quarterbacks for Washington, the last time they want a playoff game, Todd, I'll start with you. Will go around the room, but I'll start with you.
Speaker 7: Ton quarterback for Washington, Jay, Sure.
Speaker 1: No, but that would have been twenty years earlier. But thanks for playing. It's a bad idea. Mark Brunel and Chris Simms were the starting quarterbacks. Although you can't have two starting quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, My guess was going to be Rando Jason Campbell out of Auburn.
Speaker 8: I just remember him being there at that time.
Speaker 1: How about the running backs on that team two thousand and six, The last time they want to playoff game? Marvin Steven Davis. No, No, if you said Cadillac William who he was the starting running back for Tampa. Clinton portis Clinton portis for Washington. Let me see if there's anything else. I saw something on answer Nation about this, just to give you an idea of how long it's been. The iPhone wasn't out I think, is that right? The last time Washington won a playoff game, Facebook been invented. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't think the iPhone was invented back then. Let me see the top three movies when Washington last won a playoff game, Hostile, The Chronicles of Narnia, and King Kong. I didn't see any of those top three songs last time Washington won the won a playoff game, Don't Forget About Us by Mariah Carey, Run It by Chris Brown, and Grills by Nelly featuring Paul Wall. Yeah feet, yes, you do? You still have your girl from mister Paul Paul?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's over yeah in front on the desk there? Yeah, all a bit.
Speaker 4: Who was the NFL MVP in two thousand and five, the last time the Commanders won a playoff game?
Speaker 6: Hint, non quarterback Marvin that's easy Sean Alexander.
Speaker 1: Wow, did he have like twenty nine touchdowns? Yeah, twenty eight, twenty nine touchdowns. He had one of those three year windows, and then that window, like all of a sudden, it closed it sealed and the key to the front door didn't work either. It's like he's gone, yeah, Paul, yeah, you nailed it.
Speaker 4: Fifteen hundred yards, seventeen hundred yards, nineteen hundred yards, and each of those seasons fourteen touchdowns, sixteen touchdowns, twenty seven.
Speaker 8: Never had a thousand yard season after that day day.
Speaker 1: Here's Dan Quinn, the Commander's head coach, on his star quarterback.
Speaker 3: Jayden certainly is big factor in that.
Speaker 13: I think if he had his heart rate monitor on in mind, they would not be the same in the game. And his stays pretty consistently good. Sometimes I'm like the duck. If you just saw the feet going under the water, it's good. But he really is into that space exceptional.
Speaker 1: Baker Mayfield had a great year, but that fumble with eleven minutes to go was costly. Here he spoke about that after the game. Some dumb stuff today that across the team. So it's yeah, it's gonna wear on me for a while. The first one all year.
Speaker 2: That happened on so obviously timing of if not great, getting backed up, defense had just done a hell of a job getting us the ball. Another fourth down stop and stay unfortunate for the foot that falls on me.
Speaker 1: It does. He made a mistake. I don't know if he was supposed to hand off. He was late with the handoff, but Commanders took advantage of that. If your Marcus Freeman, you got the National title game coming up in a week, and there's a report that the couple of teams are interested in inner viewing him. But you can't do that interview this week. You don't. You just can't be you know, the perception would be terrible that you're coaching for a national championship and the Bears are going to want to fly you in or zoom call you. You can't do it. But if you're Marcus Freeman and you're thirty nine years of age, have you coached enough where you feel confident enough that you're ready to go to the NFL? And I think we're going to have Marcus on this week, at least we were hoping to have him on. I don't know if this kind of news will be like he'll come on, but he doesn't want to talk about the NFL. But if I'm Marcus Freeman, and you know, let's take care of business here. If you continue to take care of business. I don't think this is one of those like who was it? Iowa stayed? Is that Matt Campbell? And then all of a sudden, it's like, oh my god, he's the next head coach. He's going to be Ohio States head coach, or he's going to coach in the NFL. I go back to Kirk ference. Kirk ference at Iowa, it felt like, man, he could get a job, they could get a job in the NFL. He didn't want a job in the NFL. I don't think he's still at Iowa. I don't know what Marcus Freeman his goals are. Maybe it is to coach in the NFL. But what he's done at Notre Dame, he's made him likable and they have a whole different feel to them. They're not a finesse team, and Notre Dame would normally be that way. Now you've got Ohio State, maybe you win a national championship, but I don't know if you win a national championship, would then he's would he be willing if he wants to coach in the NFL. And I don't know who his agent is. Agent might say, you know what I'm going to tell these teams. When you win the national championship, then you'll talk to them. Now, they just gave him a contract extension, and I know that happens, they break up contracts all the time. Whatever, But I don't know. Maybe and this is the old school. WIN mean, you're coaching Notre Dame. There's something to be said about that. And it feels like now with the twelve teen playoff, they're eventually going to go to fourteen. I'm being told they'll eventually go to sixteen teams. Now, not going to happen soon, but it's going to happen where they're going to extend the playoffs. So Notre Dame is basically you know, ushered in. Hey just be be Notre Dame. Be good and if you win ten eleven twelve game like they want Notre Dame in. So you're going to be in the playoffs constantly. You're going to be making money for your school. You don't have to share that money. You have to join a conference. Is that enough? And how long would you stay in a job like that? I hope he stays. I mean, I think it's a wonderful story, So I hope he gets that opportunity to decide how long he wants to stay. And if he does go, then you're going to go to the NFL. But you might have that decision to make win or lose. Coming up? What is it next Monday night for the National Title Game. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program, sewn in Oregon, Seawan. Thanks for holding this morning. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 14: Hey, the very worst is this Pittsburgh Steelers. Yea, I hear people talk about them not lead r win a playoff game. Well, they haven't led a football game or won a football game since December seventh or December eighth, when they were ten to three and then the driver's seat. And this has been a slow watching like a slow spiral plane wreck. And what's happened is the quarterback play has been very less than good. If you look at everything in big picture, this is a burnout third round quarterback. And the Steelers are used to this. Without Ben Roethlisberger and Terry Bradshaw, Steelers have always been a team that's kicked field goals and played defense.
Speaker 15: I saw him go to the Super.
Speaker 14: Bowl with a third round draft pick Neil O'Donnell, and then before that, I rooted for third round draft pick Bubby Brister and I missed those days. But I'll tell you what, this has been crazy. This has been the worst because they're in the driver's seat and it's painful, Dan, It's real painful for Steelers fans to watch. And then you know, you got a good team. You got Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals sitting on the couch and those guys could have easily been in there. You know, there's a couple of things worked out for him, and it's sad. It's sad for Steelers fans, sad for Bengals fans.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sean. Yeah, if you're Cincinnati and you have all of that firepower and you got Burrow and you got Jamar Chase, you had the NFL sack leader, Like that's like that hurts where you're like, God, couldn't we get into the postseason? Well, you can't open up and lose to New England. We said that was going to come back and haunt them.
Speaker 3: Ail.
Speaker 1: If you're going to treat the first couple of games like it's the preseason, man, those things can come back and bite you in a competitive division.
Speaker 7: Yes, Ton, and you see the other AFC teams lose by fourteen, twenty and twenty four points, they got.
Speaker 3: To be thinking we could have done a little better than that. As far as the three teams that bowed out early in the wildcard round.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if the Steelers were that good. When they were ten and three, we still were like, God, I don't know, Russ. Do they have their do they have their quarterback? I don't like their wide receivers. It was a defensive first team, but that's what Pittsburgh's been. And Sean brings up a great point. Look at all the quarterbacks the Steelers have had, you know, it's like their coaches. Hey, we only need three coaches for sixty years. Well you got Terry Bradshaw and you've got Ben Roethlisberger. You're waiting for the third quarterback there and they don't have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marvin, you forgot about the great Tommy Maddock.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well initially was in Denver. Dan Reeves drafted Tommy Maddocks first round. That fractured the John Elway relationship. Yes, oh I missed that. Maybe it's my age. Tommy Maddox was the first round draft pick. I thought he's from the XFL. Well, he had to be in college to go to the XFL, and I got to look up with Tommy Tommy maddocks. Yeah, I think end of the first round. Does that sound right, Todd? That does UCLA.
Speaker 3: And it definitely I did not make John Oliver happy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Paul, Yeah, first round picked twenty fifth overall, ninety two draft and the reaction was shocking because it's prime Lway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if it was like Aaron Rodgers them taking Jordan Love, but that it might have been the precursor to that weight What are you doing? And Elway and Reeves, I don't think they were ever on good terms or on the same page after them. Jason in Texas, Hi, Jason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: He has a go on speak this morning?
Speaker 1: Good good, Hey.
Speaker 11: So I got a best slash slash stat of the weekend and then a worst and then I need some advice. So the best slashed out of the weekend? How about Jim NANTZ five hundred broadcasts? I mean you can.
Speaker 1: Attest to that.
Speaker 11: That's probably pretty pretty big deal.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: I think what Jim has done to be consistently great. You know, and I've mentioned this before, there are so many of these broadcasters who have been able to do this for decades and keep that high level, keep the like the enthusiasm. That's what I love about Jim. You still have to love sports. And I was talking to somebody who's in the business who does what I do, and he says, do you still love sports? And I go, yeah, don't you And he goes, no, I'm good at this. I just don't love sports the way I once did. And that's what leaves you. So Jim still has that enthusiasm. So go ahead, Jason. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then man, worse than the day.
Speaker 11: Hate to hear about jj reddick man losing his house that that stinks may even though he's a duchy hate to hear that. But and then, man, I need some advice. So I'm going to be doing my first color high school basketball game, will be the color guy. So give me some advice as I try and navigate being doing my first.
Speaker 1: Color Well, do your homework, have nuggets, have little things that you can drop in there. If it's a blowout, you've got to be ready for that. If it's a really close game, make sure that you have that chemistry with your play by play guy. Let him know. Maybe hold your finger up if you're going to say something to him, because if you're just doing it and you may not know each other that well, you know, just so you don't step on each other. And if he's a really good play by play guy, he will make room for you to add something and then get out. Brevity is really good. Get to the point. Talk to the coaches. Maybe if you get to talk to one of the star players, maybe they tell you something and then you can use that in the broadcast. Always be prepared to have way more information than you'll ever use. And I think that you know, that's a great start.
Speaker 11: Love it, man, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, all right, Jace, Good luck James in ver Rginia, NA. How about a round of it was that the commanders?
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you for taking my call, gentlemen. Happy Monday, DP down it salute the commanders. Man, holy moly, what a crazy season. If they've been in Washington, I'm so glad to hear you guys talk about optimist Prime Terry mccaorn hands down the most underrated receiver in the NFL, best contestant catcher in the NFL, and his man and five is a live man. I was just killing Tyler Man at any given time. This guy is the fastest down on the field. But what makes was so dangerous it's his ability to deliver from the pocket. And man, he stands in there and throws dins and darts.
Speaker 16: All day long. And I think what's so amazing about watching Washington this year is they are a team that believes in each other. They're not perfect, they're still learning a rookie quarterback, first year head coach. But man, washing these guys play is inspiring football man to not believe that Washington has the ability to go to an NF championship game for the first time since nineteen ninety one. But they got a jugger out in their lay in Detroit. Their best defense will be their offers, just like last night, thirty five minutes of possessing sixty nine plays. Get so excited for Washington fans all across the nation. Man, I really appreciate you guys. To Luther Commanders and I'm pound down DP. I'm hoping for that Super Bowl, so I come see you guys you have a great game. Man, Salute the commanders.
Speaker 1: How about the rhynd clause for DA Virginia. Yeah, that's say salute the commanders. Man. That guy's having the best day of his life. Didn't his white Didn't they have a baby?
Speaker 3: They did?
Speaker 1: Didn't? Yeah? I should have asked him. Is this better than when you had your first job?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 4: Lots of people have kids? Commanders victories? Those are generational?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 1: Todd in Kentucky, Hi, Todd, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Great? Hey, the first time caller six three to sixty down for pre forty. Okay, I think I got a fix for your college playoff football system. You're right to get the top sixteen teams in you right, your top seven, and it's starting with the first team. They get to pick who they play.
Speaker 1: I like that. Now they're not going to go to sixteen. That's not going to happen yet, Todd, my source. You know what, Let me take a break. I'll come back. I'll give you a little information on what I found out. But I do like that you get to pick your opponent. That'd be fun. I like that. That's good. All right, let me take a break. Last call for phone calls what we learn, what's in store tomorrow, and then we'll write tomorrow's headline today with the Rams and the Vikings. After this, Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or streams live every day at YouTube dot com slash The Dan Patrick Show. Vikings, the Rams in Arizona Tonight, the Vikings favored by two and a half. We will write the headline tomorrow's headline today. We'll have that for you coming up. I got some information from one of my college football sources that beginning with the twenty twenty six college football playoffs, they're probably not going to make any decisions until twenty twenty six, and they'll probably go to a fourteen team A fourteen team playoff that means two teams would get a first round by but the best two teams would not be getting home games. Here. It's kind of complicated, but keep this in mind. What I'm told is they'll probably go to fourteen teams, but eventually they'll go to sixteen and it might not be until twenty thirty two. That's the next media agreement. They want to have something that'll be there so they can negotiate this, and they'll go probably from twelve to fourteen after twenty twenty six, and then they'll go to sixteen that probably won't be enacted until twenty thirty two, So they're discussing this. I do like that that certain number of teams you get to pick who you want to play first round matchup. That's kind of spicy there. All right, let's write they have this day in sports history, final results of the Pole question. Todd, I'm gonna start with you right the headline tomorrow's headline today for tonight's game.
Speaker 7: I have if the Rams win Oh Darnald fourteen and three and bounced in wild card, and then if the Vikings went, I had Oi McVeigh I win, Sean would have been nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we've gone to that well before Seaton. Tomorrow's headline today for tonight's.
Speaker 2: Game, LA's honking horns. No, they're not stuck in traffic. Those are the Vikings helmets that they just honked horn. The horns on the helmet, the horns on the Vikings helmets. They honked those horns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you have to explain it.
Speaker 3: Marvin, Sam I am clutch Vikings win.
Speaker 4: Late, Okay, Paul, since Todd did too, I'll try to. If the Rams lose Garropo, no Rams backup, loses to Vikings Garpo now, and then if the Vikings defense doesn't play well. Andrew van Stinkle, weikes d no shows versus Rams Van Stinkle nothing personal.
Speaker 1: Okay, there, we've done it. It's that easy. Tomorrow's headlines today for tonight's game Wit in Texas. What's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 13: Dan?
Speaker 17: Best of the weekend road tripping with my dad to watch the Horns play Ohio State in the semifinal in Arlington at Jayworld. Used to go to games all the time growing up, and we hadn't been able to do it in a while because life gets in the way.
Speaker 1: So thankful we were able to do that. Or's for the weekend.
Speaker 17: Game time drive in our end zone where we're sitting and watching them blow it. That hurt Dan, second and goal. You run a stretch play to the sideline and it gets blown up. I think Sarkisian has a business decision to make going forward. Fifty percent of it is figured out. I think arch Manning. No one's going to be sad to see quintin yours leave marsh Manning steps in. But if you're Steve Sarkisian, you got to decide if you want to be a CEO, if you want to call plays.
Speaker 1: You can't do both, all right, thank you, Wit. It's to the point there. Yeah, I'm watching the game and I'm thinking, all right, I don't think they can just run up the middle, but you know, you get those kind of as Wit pointed out, stretch plays. Those can be really good. But if they blow it up, then all of a sudden you've lost seven yards and then you've lost that opportunity to be able to just power this in or try to power this in. It just felt like, just go go four times, run the ball four times at the one, and then you can decide if you want to go for two or bring in arch Manning. Now, although he had one run, he got banged up a little bit. I don't know if that affected him the rest of the game, and that's why they didn't put him in. But at that point, I just want you to think, if your a defense, I want you to think he might run the ball with Quinn yours. You wouldn't be worried about that threat. Andy and Rhode Island, Hi, Andy, welcome back.
Speaker 18: Hey, good morning, Dan, Dennis.
Speaker 15: What's going on?
Speaker 18: Marvin Chritzy? I have two best of the weekend? Actually, Dan, I don't even have anything that's really going bed. I would say that my first is actually going to be the Washington Commanders twenty years ever since winning at first in the playoffs. Shout out to James in from Virginia. I know he's excited. I can hear it in his voice, and it's not like he was about to jump through the radio. And my second it's actually going to be actually just received an email over the weekend to narrow down selection to be part of the Survivor series that's actually on CBS, and I'm so excited because it's one of my lifelong dreams I've actually wanted to accomplish and being able to try to possibly go to Fiji to twenty fix days and cossibly come back a millionaire.
Speaker 16: I'll sign up.
Speaker 1: For every day, Dan, Andy. Can we send you some DP show gear? Maybe you could wear a T shirt or too. Normally they don't wear much clothing, but maybe you could slip in a you know, I'm trying my best or high motor or something like that.
Speaker 16: Absolutely pretty polo is the way to go.
Speaker 1: Dan, all right, we'll put you on hold Tyler, get your information and your sizes. Then we'll see if we can get some product placement there for survivor. This day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 8: Got a couple.
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty eight, Bill Masterson of the North Stars was injured and he's checked on the boards. He died two days later. He was the first casualty in NHL history. Never heard that story. The NSA in nineteen eighty six got Prop forty eight going very controversial. Let's see Michael Jordan nineteen ninety nine of the Bulls announced his retirement from the NBA, his first and lastly. Two thousand and five, Major League Baseball started steroid testing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six yearsly on this date. In twenty twenty, AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Lounow fired by the Astros for their roles in the team's sin stealing scandal. Wonderful we'll ever really get to the bottom of that. Maybe maybe one day. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program Todd, would you learn on this Monday.
Speaker 7: Pittsburgh Dave, who actually lives in Arkansas these days, is thinking about destroying his Steelers' theme clothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was ready to ignite it, set it a blaze. Seaton, What did you learn today? Tony Dungee not happy with what happened with Jerrodmeo, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Tommy Max was the first round draft pick?
Speaker 8: Pauli RCI about to blow up.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll see if we can get Ross Tucker to incorporate that next weekend receiver caused interception. Rapid Radio's official walkie talkies of the DP show business owners keep in touch with over two hundred staff members at one time. Go to Rapid Radios dot com sixty percent off free shipping. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.