Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello? Is this gek? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who is this? Hey?
Speaker 1: What's up? Gek?
Speaker 2: My name's Andrew, Andrew? What's going on? Man?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I guess I'll just start where I tested you. So I'm thirty four now, which you know, I mean, great midlife crisis or whatever. I came up from a pretty bad situation, broken home, drug addiction, all that stuff. And as I've progressed in my life, I've kind of straightened it all out. But I find myself in like bouts of depression and just absolute boredom. The mundane day to day is like it's killing my soul. Yeah, yeah, in spite of the exciting life that I used to have.
Speaker 2: You know, well, how excited I mean? And you'll, you know, only you can truthfully answer this question, But how exciting was it? Really?
Speaker 1: I mean, so, just as an example, some of the escapades or whatever that I was getting into, I kind of had like a violent streak back then, so like I would definitely get like a fix of adrenaline on a regular basis when I was doing drugs.
Speaker 2: Would you say a violent streak like you.
Speaker 1: Were like I was like clubbing people with tire irons, like it was it was pretty okay, pretty bad. Okay, thankfully I was one of those people that just wouldn't take a plea deal. So I don't have a criminal.
Speaker 2: Record now, Oh there we go. Wait, so when you say, don't you know, when you say you didn't take a plea deal, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, I was arrested for a lot of this stuff, but I refused to take whatever plea deal that they were trying to throw at me in California. And when I was trying to take it to court, they would always find some way of either expunging or stealing the record.
Speaker 2: Is it though that? Yeah, go ahead, I'll say my questions to the end.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's fine. Yeah. I was just saying, like, so with the being sealed and stuff, my my record's actually pretty pristine in spite of everything that I was doing.
Speaker 2: And how long have you been clean from meth? For?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: It has got to be about fourteen years now. I really didn't keep track, but I want to say the last time that I can't do math, I was twenty four when I stopped, so it's been almost ten years, I guess.
Speaker 2: And when you say when you when you use the phrase excitement, are you referring to like all the all the crazy stuff you were doing ten years ago? Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah?
Speaker 2: But now in the in in the past ten years, has anything given you, uh, you know, as much, if not more excitement than clubbing someone with a tire iron?
Speaker 1: Really, if I'm being fully honest about it, not, really, I've found myself just being really bored. I mean, I went from basically a borderline poverty to I'm making about one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars a year now running my own business, and I still haven't found anything that really brings me a sense of passion.
Speaker 2: I guess, what do you do?
Speaker 1: So? I actually have a dog walking business that I didn't think was going to turn out to be as big as it did. But since I'm primarily working in affluent areas, I'm able to kind of overcharge, and it honestly took off to a point that I wasn't expecting it to.
Speaker 2: Can I ask what city or inner state.
Speaker 1: I am near, Palm Beach Island, Florida.
Speaker 2: Okay, And what's your family life like? Do you have a girlfriend or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I'm I've had a series of long term relationships that just didn't work out. So currently, No, I'm single actually for the first time in yeah, and since I was seventeen. I'm actually like single and have been remaining so on purpose. And then my family life is kind of touchy. It's just my family started off with the drug thing and then I just kind of picked it up later as I got older, So it took me years to kind of get to a point where I would bridge that gap with them.
Speaker 2: So you've been cleaning sober for ten ten years? And have you been when did you set the dog walking business.
Speaker 1: About seven years back?
Speaker 2: Okay, so have you just been bored for ten years since you stopped doing all that stuff?
Speaker 1: Honestly? Yeah, you know, my day to day, like I I think the most exciting things that I get to do at this point is video games or gambling. And I think it's mostly gambling because I just kind of enjoy being around degenerates.
Speaker 2: How's the gambling going, you know, up and down? And the whole time it's been in Palm Beach.
Speaker 1: More or less, I mean, it's been Palm Beach County.
Speaker 2: Do you have a lot of friends down there?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say a lot, but I have pretty good quality friends. I have about like eight people that I regularly kind of you know, talk with or meet up with for lunches and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. That's that's good. That's a lot of friends. Eight friends.
Speaker 1: But if I'm being absolutely honest about it, it's just that there is no comparing going and getting Chipotle with a couple of friends and then like hitting a tramble in park to uh, you know, basically assailing a guy in a back parking lot somewhere at a bar.
Speaker 2: You know why, I get like what I mean, for real, man, like, do you when you look back upon violent straight like you do you? I mean, do you look at it like fondly?
Speaker 1: I'm a little bit Most of the people that that I ended up, you know, uh having interactions with back then in that capacity they kind of deserved it. They're they're kind of pieces of ship. Mm hmm. I mean either people that would like steal money and beat their kids and ship. And I was like, oh yeah, cool, no one's going to care. Then It's fine.
Speaker 2: Mm hm Uh. You sound like you're you're primed to become the palm beach batman. If that's what you really want to do.
Speaker 1: I don't want to though, Like I really like, I don't want to. I want to enjoy the life that I have. But at the same time, I just find it so boring, is okay?
Speaker 2: I mean, over the past ten years, have there been any inkling of anything that you desire to want to do outside of hitting people?
Speaker 1: To be honest, realistically, I just kind of maybe to start some kind of nonprofit or some kind of like charity that would benefit the overpopulated dog pounds, the things like that. I do have a kind of a passion towards helping animals. And while I'm working with you know, dogs on a regular basis, these are all very affluent families with very well taken care of pets, and there's just so many that are like discarded and treated badly that I would really like to have, you know, a solid place to like just keep them safe. Well said safe played with.
Speaker 2: M hmm. I don't know, man, It's interesting, and I I feel you on just like life being boring because you know, I guess I'm doing like I can't like I can't sit still either. I just feel like I have to be fucking doing something. Uh. And I've typically been able to fulfill that by you know, working on projects and work and whatnot. So I mean I think I think a nonprofit's a good idea. It's I mean, it's certainly I'm gonna say, a nonprofit helping abused animals is a better idea for you to cure your boredom than to beat beat people up. Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's fair to say, and I agree with you. It's probably a better use my energy and it would probably benefit the world more. And you know, it's just how do I how do I really just get over the fact that it's just so goddamn mundane. I mean, there is no rush to it at all. It's it's all just strategizing, putting the money aside, and making sure that you're scoping out the right property, you know, pushing paperwork man.
Speaker 2: Well okay, well ok, well, so we're talking about two different things here, because you're saying there's no adrenaline. There's a difference between running a small dog walking business is not as exciting as beating people up, and nothing is as exciting as beating people up.
Speaker 1: Correct, I mean, yeah, just for example, beating people up, I mean there was obviously other things, you know, running from police doing all sorts of just kind of outlandish experience. An is that I can look back on and say, well, you know, not everybody got to do that, and I did, so well, let.
Speaker 2: Me ask you this because I mean, I assume why part of any like recovery communities are you in na or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm actually really bad about that. I I stopped on my own, so I kind of have a superiority complex about it, like, oh, why don't you just quit? I did.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess. I mean, I'm asking because it's a very common idea of one taking the excitement that they found and whatever their negative behavior was and finding it in something else. So it's been done before.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I just I really haven't, I guess, engaged with that community on that level. And you know, part of it's me getting my own way. I know that, you know, I can acknowledge my own superiority complex when it comes to it. I definitely feel like I'm kind of above it, and that's not a good thing, but it's just the reality of how I'm thinking about it. But I understand that there is a community there that could probably help me kind of redirect some of this this excess energy that I have.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, I'm also very interested that this is not a new problem. This is something you've been having to figure.
Speaker 1: Out slow simmering in the past.
Speaker 2: Ten years, and so I'm curious in what ways you've addressed attempted to, whether successfully or unsuccessfully address this issue in these past ten years.
Speaker 1: Mostly I just say it is what it is, and I try and move on day to day. But over the course of thousands of days obviously gets a little a little hard to continue to just blow it off like that. That being said, you know, I mean, I'm still doing pretty well for myself, and I understand that I can't go back to that kind of a lifestyle because it is it's absolutely a waste of my my time here. So like, at least I have that understanding. And since I know I have that understand like it's a little too introspective, but yeah, since I have the understanding of that, I feel like it's easier for me to just kind of push through the boring parts.
Speaker 2: You should. I have a movie for you to watch. It's not helpful at all. It's called The Incredibles.
Speaker 1: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: You've seen the Incredibles. It just like this guy. I mean, it's different because it wasn't he wasn't into meth, but like he you know, he was. He was He liked to beat people up that he felt like deserved it. That was his thing, and he was doing pretty good at doing that. And then he quit and he went into insurance and it made him depressed. And then he went to the jungle and then I think he started beating people up again. You know what, don't watch that movie. Never mind forget I said anything, all right, go to.
Speaker 1: The Amazon, start beating people up. Perfect, got it?
Speaker 2: I mean you could go to the Amazon. I mean, I don't know. I this is I only have my own perspective on I only really have my own perspective on the world, and the perspectives of everyone who I've ever talked to, uh if they, you know, nuzzled their way into my brain, which I mean, I guess is encompassed in my own perspective of the world. But I found like when I get when I get fucking bored, I just I travel, I go places. Do you I mean, do you have the flexibility to do that with your dog walking on?
Speaker 1: So I'm actually going to be going to New Orleans here in June, just so I can kind of get out of my funk, because I have not left Palm Beach County in the last seven years since I started this. I've been very stationary and stuck here because.
Speaker 2: You haven't even I mean, I mean, how much of an attempt have you made to find, you know, new and interesting things to do that aren't you know, fantasizing about like running from the cops and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I don't have a lot of people that I trust enough to do my job since I am working with like multimillionaires and stuff, and I have to be basically free key access to their homes and stuff. I really I don't want the liability of somebody that I don't fully trust going into their house and possibly rooting through their shit.
Speaker 2: Maybe not the people that you're meeting at the blackjack.
Speaker 1: Table, probably not. Probably not the degenerates that I prefer to time around.
Speaker 2: Not that, not that, not that there aren't you know, respectable upstanding citizens playing blackjack, But you did refer to them as degenerates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I just I mean, don't don't get me wrong. My close circle of friends, I mean, these are these are good people. They're they're firefighters and ship but they don't want to come walk dogs. They want to be firefighters.
Speaker 2: They you know, what are you doing in New Orleans?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Probably just going to go out there and drink in excess, celebrate my friend's birthday while we're there, Uh talk talk to women that are not from my town, and uh, yeah, catch your flight back.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is helpful or even what, but I've been thinking about this a lot because I sometimes think that I'm also I'm also very much in this process of trying to figure out how to make my life like good, you know. But that's the thing. It's already good. But I kind of am like, you know, like I just went, well, I went to Thailand for ten days, and I'm I'm, you know, traveling a lot and whatever. And I'm kind of like, yeah, is my life going to be better because I'm going out and going crazy and having all these experiences and this and that and the other thing, or is it going to be better because internally, in my own brain, I've adopted a mindset of gratefulness and appreciation for the things in my life, whatever those things are and I'm wondering about that because like you know, I'm I've done you know, this crazy stuff whatever, and I am I am still you know, day to day struggling with uh, trying like you know, feeling good about life. And so I wonder, like, are those things? And I feel very good about doing those things, and I know that when I die, I'll be able to go, h Okay, we did, we live life to the fullest. But I don't know how if this stuff that we're looking for is uh, you know, outside of our brains are inside of our brains. I'm leaning towards and this will probably evolve as I get older and have more experience in tackling these issues. But I'm leaning towards a bit a little bit of both, a little commodation of both. You know. Sometimes I'll use this whole like, oh, it's all in my internal brain. Sometimes I use it as an excuse to be lazy and not do ship. You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So it's a little.
Speaker 2: But it's a little bit about it's a little bit of both. But anyway, that's that wasn't advice, all right, it's just thoughts. This is that wasn't advice or even anything that anyone could be like, hey, you remember when you said that, I'd be like, oh fuck, did I really say that's? I'm just this is I'm just pontificating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't quote me on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't quote me anything I've ever said.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that's That's where I'm kind of at is at the crossroads of like, am I I have my positive accomplishments and my my accolades and everything else that I'm doing, which is great. I mean, you know, I should be very grateful for that. It's it's it's my life's been working out significantly better than it did when I was doing that ship.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, I'm going to say this to you is my this is my final piece on this phone call. It's you name again, Andrew, Andrew, just beneath, beneath everything. My viewpoint on this, whatever you're doing, you know, walking dogs, watching TV, play media, whatever you're doing at any given moments in your day to day life, at this point, there's like a ninety nine chance that it's better than doing meth and beating people up. So take solace in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take solace in it. I don't know if I'll feel fulfilled by it, but I'll take some solace in it.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 1: Uck? Pitches, make money?
Speaker 2: Take care? Thanks Andrew?
Speaker 1: All right, greg.
Speaker 3: By? Hello?
Speaker 2: Hello there? What is your name?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: I'm mister Sweetness, mister sweet to be?
Speaker 3: You know a Yeah?
Speaker 2: What where'd you get the name? Mister sweetness?
Speaker 3: Mister Sweetness is actually my performer name when I get there.
Speaker 2: Yes, hold on, mister sweetness is your performer name when you get there? Okay, what do you well? What do you what do you perform?
Speaker 3: I'm a complete singer. I've been singing for twelve years.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you mean by get there? Sounds like you've been there for twelve years.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been in a special situation. I've been singing for twelve years. I've been in a choir. My whole life has been like choir for a majority of it. That's kind of much how I dictated all my choices throughout educational purposes. But I've been singing in the choir for twelve years, and I just recently dropped out of the a choir program. This's my first time doing my own thing, and I'm stuck. I'm like, I have all this ambition, I want to do all these things, but I steel like I'm stuck until I really make a decision on how I want to go about how I want to get there, because I think that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what are you trying? What kind of decision are you trying to make?
Speaker 3: So? As an artist and I and I plan on having, like, you know, a whole Internetsuna image, all that jazz, so I don't I'm not worried about that, but I have to decide on how I want to get there because and this is why I feel like as I look back and how I've been deciding on how to get where I am, I feel like I've been kind of like the villains in this circumstance. I feel like if I really want to get to where I want to be, I have to have a kind of villainistic mindset on how to get there, almost like selfish to that point.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so you texted me. You said, I think I am becoming a villain. That's what you said to me. Mm hmm, So what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: So I know that I h I can be pretty stern stubborn when it when it gets there, I have no problem about that stuff. I let people know, Hey, I could be mean and I'm trying to get stuff done. Currently, I'm a manager at my job, and I know I like to be in positions of power where I know I can control what's gonna happen. I've been like, I've been a manager there for three years now, and I've did that and I got that position quick. I was like, yo, I know what needs to get done. Let me go ahead and work up the ranks real quick and so I can help you' all out help this situation. And it went fast. I got promoted, got my position. I've been pretty much borderline running that place besides my general.
Speaker 2: So look, look, man, we're getting a little off track here. What do you What do you mean by your becoming a villain? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm going to have to make some really hard decisions when it comes to the people I associate with the things and directions. I'm going like, Okay, I'm gonna have to start cutting people off and start introducing myself to new things. But at the same time, that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if we're let me back up for a second. You desire to you have a lot of stuff you want to do. You want to be a professional singer, you want to make videos. That's all great. Why I'm extremely lost as to why you have decided that you need to become a villain to do this.
Speaker 3: I don't think artists are good people. A majority of artists well, I mean you can just see it. I don't think a majority of artists of how they get to where they are and how big they are, I'm talking like bigger names, I don't think they're good people. I think they've cut a lot of corners, and I think they've done a lot of things that they're personally about. Like you know, they're not going to tell every other person, but I mean, you know they get there, how they get They're not saying I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I got to mister sweetness, I gotta stop you. Right, mister sweetness, You've so you've decided in your brain that in order for you to become a successful singer, you need to be an asshole.
Speaker 3: Not exactly an asshole, but I have to be selfish. I have to really put myself in my goal and self before anything like almost like even above my family type situation. It has to be number one priority, is what I'm feel like it has to be.
Speaker 2: Mister, mister sweetness, Can I ask you something? Yes, have you made a single video?
Speaker 3: I make funny videos, but I haven't made a single song.
Speaker 2: Okay, mister sweetness, you've before even releasing a single song, before even trying to do anything, before even presenting yourself on the internet. As you know, I'm a singer, and this before even attempting to reach this goal that you have, you have decided that you need to be an asshole to do it.
Speaker 3: In a broad sense, I guess I have to.
Speaker 2: Just really, there's, mister, mister sweetness, sweetness, there's there's, there's I just my friends, there's no there's there's. I'm just telling you, man, you've made this declaration for no reason. This is not where your brain should be, you know what I mean? Like, dude, just you know, go make stuff, Go put yourself out on the internet, and you can. I want to. I want to tell you you can present yourself however you desire and if how you desire to be in this and not even present forget about that. If just how you desire to be is mister sweetness, sweet guy, nice guy, family man, all that stuff, then go fucking be it. Why have you decided that you can't be that? You've decided that you can't be that literally for no reason, or actually, no, no, I'm not gonna say you've decided to be that for no reason, because I think the reason you've decided to be that is because I don't know, man, you'll you'll think about like whatever, Kanye West or fucking I don't know why. I just I don't have good examples. But you've just decided that the trope of like somebody who's successful is an asshole. And you've probably decided that for examples that you have, and and those examples are are wrong, and that decision is wrong. And I really strongly encourage you to stop thinking like that because it's not gonna it's not helpful to anybody, that's fair.
Speaker 3: The mindset really stems from, like, I don't know if you've ever liked watched like, well, yeah, of course, a cartoon is a story like the stories where the villain is generally and this is just like storytelling in general, and just cartoons and shows up washing stuff. The villain is dress up as he's already won. He's he's the one winning. He shows it, it shows and it detects the story.
Speaker 2: That mister sweetness, I'm sorry, but what what are you talking like? Dude?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm it's a comparative.
Speaker 2: Sorry. No, no, no, don't don't don't be, don't be, don't be sorry. I'm just like it. I I'm trying. I'm telling you this because I don't want you to. This is your this mindset that you have is it's like defeating you know, you call yourself mistress. And by the way, I listen, if you told me right now you were like I just I kind of want to be an asshole a bunch of people, I'd be like, all right, yes, your god given right is you can go being out. Okay, if that's what you want to do, is be an asshole and go go ahead being out. That's that's what you want to do. But that's not it's not even That's what makes it extra sad. It's not even what you want to do. You know, you're not even sitting here like I bet it would be awesome to be a dick to people all the time. You're you call yourself mister sweetness. You are literally you're sitting here like, oh, I want to be mister sweetness. I want to be a nice guy, but I think I first I have to be an asshole if I want to succeed, And that's sad, and I don't think that's based off of anything that is remotely true. So I strongly encourage you to stop thinking like that and just go, you know, make your music, like that's all that fucking matters.
Speaker 1: You know, that's very true.
Speaker 3: I do one hundred percent agree with that. And it's more of like, am I a bad person or a villain in that person in this scenario if I have to make a decision where hey, me and this dude we were making where we had good chemistry, but something happened and he's slowing down, and I feel like I need to keep going. And that's that's where I've been, like in a lot of positions where I feel like I have to cut these people off or like get in people or situations I just have to cut it off, and I forgot to keep going. But at the same time, I'm losing like, you know, friends here and there, and like these are like real relationships, and I feel like I.
Speaker 2: So a couple of things. One is that that doesn't make you a villain, because I mean, it's just like, was this like your boyfriend or this was like a guy that you were seeing I have.
Speaker 3: It's just connections from singing from all the years and people who have been trying to work with and all that jazz, and some relationships just like pass love stuff like that. But just in general, I can make these decisions, and I don't feel bad about making these decisions. I can do it relatively quickly. I can cut people off relatively quickly.
Speaker 2: And look and look and look, I do. I do think you're okay. I do think you're right in that if you want to get successful at something, obviously you do have to like have priorities, and you know, yeah, you might need to you know, you might decide that you want to spend your free time in your you know, studio whatever making music instead of like hanging out with your homies. But that doesn't mean you have to never talk to them ever again. Like and also and also that doesn't make you a villain or a bad person, you know, especially like romantically, if you're talking about like you were gonna you were dating somebody, but they had different life priorities than you had. Uh, that's just incompatibility. That doesn't make you a villain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Well, then I guess I'm not gonna be the villain. I'll be mister Sweetness.
Speaker 2: Your mister sweetness, sweetest guy around.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, all.
Speaker 2: Right, here's what? All right? Give us a fucking lick, bro, Come on, what's up? Give us? Drop us, drop us a tune.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's see what can I drop? What can I sing for? Y'all?
Speaker 2: Mister fucking sweetness? Sing us a tune?
Speaker 3: Sing y'all, It's y'all, y'all.
Speaker 4: Listen to the.
Speaker 3: Hell of a Box. Yeah, Hell of a Boss episode The Loser Baby the your uh lose the baby lose it. Gosh damn baby, you're fucked up, little wine dish. You will lose it just like me. You're a screw lose screw. Only one star review of your power Bottom at rock Bottom and you got company. I love that song.
Speaker 2: What Who's Who's hell of a Boss? I don't know what is that?
Speaker 3: Hell of a Boss is a YouTube. This is a really really cool thing, and this is like a cartoon. You should go into it because it's awesome. It's YouTube originated cartoon. So it was a pot it was like a pilot. It just it was just running through. It beat all the odds. And now it's on Amazon Prime and it's called Hotel, not hell of a box. This one I'm The song I reference is from Hagden Hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of that. Watch. I've heard of it.
Speaker 3: Definitely recommend it. It's like it'd be all the odds. It shouldn't. It shouldn't even be a show because people were like, I don't know how I'm gonna get off of YouTube. Someone about it and Didsey Pop.
Speaker 5: Is her name.
Speaker 3: I believe she's amazing and she's been running with it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, mister sweetness, Uh, good luck, man, don't I would hate. I'm glad we have. I'm glad we had this conversation because I really do. I am like, I really I mean this. I feel like you have created this mindset for yourself that is that is only damaging. It's not gonna help you. So I hope you reflect on it.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for picking up. I really do appreciate this is like I've been man, I've been listening to podcast for like ever. My workout be blowing through those workouts listening to these conversations.
Speaker 2: Just awesome sweetness. All right, man, you have you have a good one. Good luck, and I'm all excited to see you on uh on.
Speaker 3: Mister sweetness on all platforms. If you want to see when I dropped stuff for anyone out there.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: You already know the name, mister sweetness.
Speaker 2: You know the name you got, you got, hold on, you got mister sweetness. It's not like mister sweetness six.
Speaker 3: I think TikTok is three because TikTok, but Instagram, mister seenis you? I got all that quick. I love his name.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll check you out. I'll check you out. Thanks for calling missus, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Y'all have a sweet day.
Speaker 2: I don't I guess it just doesn't make what I'm laughing because it's just funny that this guy he and you know he is, he's a sweet guy. And he was so worried because he was convinced that if he wanted to like sing, he had to start being an asshole. And I don't think I don't know, I don't think that that's true, although it would be kind of cool if, like if he occasionally was an asshole and he it was like mister Sweetness had a sour side, like you you get on my you fuck with mister Sweetness, Maybe mister Sower comes out. I don't know. Hello, Hi, what's your name? Kayla? Well, Kayla? What's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: How can I get you today? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Got a couple of things going on? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe?
Speaker 4: First off, uh, my mom's a narcissist and she won't let me move out of the house, and it kind of sucks. I'm like, I'm trying to move on the house.
Speaker 2: How old are you?
Speaker 4: I'm twenty three.
Speaker 2: You're twenty three and your mom won't let you move out of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like I can, you know, but like she just keeps gaslighting me, and then so I always keep staying and I just feel like really guilt trips and I'm not really sure what to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, So well, I mean let me ask you this. This is I mean, let's talk financials for a second. Do you have a job? Do you have money that that you would need to move out of the house?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: I Actually I'm engaged, so like, I have a whole as fiance and everything, and yeah, I just don't really like what the fuck you know?
Speaker 2: I also don't really what the fuck? So you're in gate? How old is he?
Speaker 4: He's going to be twenty five?
Speaker 2: Okay, you said that you you were you were preparing you that that noise you made just before telling me. I was prepared for him to be like forty seven years old, and you hit me with a two year age gap. Okay, So, uh, I guess I still don't understand what's preventing you from from leaving the house. Is it like your mom's just like really, I mean, look by the way, your mom's not. Your mom is not preventing you from leaving the house. Okay, She's just she's guilt tripping you. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: She like gas lights me all the time.
Speaker 2: What is that? What do you what does that mean? Exactly?
Speaker 4: She holds everything over my head. So like, okay, so let me let me let me give you an example. Okay, So, like the other week, I asked my mom for one hundred dollars because she was out of state and I was watching her pets for her, which I you know, I didn't have to do that, but I did. And so I was staying there and I asked her for one hundred dollars because I paid for a bunch of stuff for the pets while she was gone. And so she gave me the hundred dollars, right, She was like, yeah, sure, whatever, here's a hundred bucks. And I was like okay. And then after she came back, she was like, did you drive my car? And I was like, yeah, I drove it to my grandma's house, which was like twenty minutes away. And so she told me that I needed to pay her back for gas. She told me that I needed to pay her for the hundred dollars and that I didn't deserve it, and then, like she just throws everything in my face. And so every once in a while too, she'll like be like, oh, like, because the only thing that she pays for for me still is my car, my car payment, okay, And so because technically it's her car, that's the only thing too, I do not have my own car, all right.
Speaker 2: So wait, so so hold on, So she doesn't pay your car payment. She pays her own car payment, and you sometimes use her car, you don't have a car. She does not pay your car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I have a car that I borrow from them, but as far as like her car specifically, like, no, I don't pay for anything for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Kayla you said your name is yeah, Kayla, I get how much money does your mom say that you owe her?
Speaker 4: Like six hundred seven hundred dollars a month?
Speaker 2: But no, I'm not a month. I'm talking about it. I'm talking about I'm talking about what's a lumps because what's a lump sum of money that you could pay to your mother to be like, Okay, this is everything that you say I owe you as an adult, for driving your car, for the pets, for whatever. We're done. I'm getting out of here. I'm getting my own place, I have my own job, I have a fiance. We're getting a thing. What's that amount of money?
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, because that's what I'll try and do. I'll be like, okay, there's no thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So you put everything on the table and then and then.
Speaker 4: What happens and then something else comes up like oh no, this just happened, Like you still have to owe that. But then here's the thing. Here's the thing too, Like with a car payment or something. She'll be like, Okay, you owe me six hundred dollars for your for this car payment. But then when I go to pay it, she's like, actually, no, it's fine, you don't need to pay it.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, why do you owe her for a car payment? If it's not who's whose name is the car in.
Speaker 4: Herst that's what I that's what.
Speaker 2: Then you don't own a car payment, then you don't owe a car payment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that's valid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okayler, listen, at a certain points, my mom and I know, I know it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so I just like that and I just need to I just need to freaking do it. You just freaking do It's really hard. It's been really hard for me to freaking do it. I mean, I got I go to real therapy.
Speaker 2: Not what's no? No, No, I am absolutely not real therapy. You are to me? What is your real Okay? All right, what's your What's I do? I do not desire to be real therapy to any I am an insane man in a gecko costume. What what? What does your real therapist tell you?
Speaker 4: I mean pretty much the same thing that like I don't know anything, and that mainly a lot of it though, is just the way that I grew up because my parents kept me very like secluded from other things. So all I know is what I know that my parents have given me and thrown at me. So like my entire life, I've literally grown up with the fact that like nothing that I have, like my room, my bed, all my stuff, like none of it is actually mine. It's theirs. And so that's why I always thought, like, oh, I just let me just move out at eighteen, But like I've always been scared of like, okay, if I leave and they hate me for it, like I'm not gonna have anything because all of my stuff or their stuff isn't actually mine. So that's why I've been like you know, getting different jobs and trying to build up money so then like all my stuff that I do purchase on my own, I can actually take with me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want it. By the way, I just wanted to say something. I want to say that's it's it's a bummer to me because I think, like, if you're a good parent, you're not like drawing these crazy fucking lines and like being selfish and you know, like you know, saying you owe me this, you owe me that, like your kid's your kid, you know. I mean so, so I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience where your mom is holding all of these things over your head, you know, And I think that that's not cool. I don't think that that's a good way to parent, and I'm sorry that you're having that experience. But I now do think that now that you are an adult, now that you did get married, now that you have a job, it's it's kind of time to be like, Okay, you know, I can't control that my mom is holding all of this shit over to me, but I can, with my own adult money, get out of the house and tell my mom. You know, I'm not giving you any more money. You're not giving me any more money. We are both going to Our relationship now is going to be of two people who desire to have each other in each other's lives, not two people who are constantly, you know, dealing with each other financially. You're no longer dealing with each other financially, and you know, yeah, so I guess I don't know what's preventing you from from doing that. But that's you know, what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's very valid, and it's just it's been a time, you know, and it sounds so silly, you know, because I'm literally like twenty three, and I mean a lot of people are still living with their parents. But like you know, you always hear the thing where it's like you either move out your suffer, you stay with your parents and you suffer mentally. And sure, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: I don't think, by the way, I see, I don't think there's any shame in like living with it. But I lived with my I lived with my parents while I was you know, starting doing this podcast, you know, and that's that's a great privilege.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's causing you deep anguish and you have a job and you're making money, you know, go go out and do it. But I'm gonna tell you something, Kayla. We could go and complete in other circles with this, and I'm gonna stop us from doing that and say that you should just do what you're feeling and your goot to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's valid.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to people? The computer before we go?
Speaker 4: I went to your indie show when you came.
Speaker 2: There and it was Indianapolis had a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, I know it was. I know it's like a year ago.
Speaker 2: But still no I remember, oh hell yeah awesome. No I I I I didn't like that. I by that one. I thought I thought I sucked.
Speaker 3: But it was good.
Speaker 4: I mean I honestly, like I was like, what's the fus does Indianapolis have to offer? But you know, quite a lot, quite a lot, so pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck, Kayla, and thanks for thanks. Good luck with living in Indianapolis and being a human being on the earth. I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thanks, thanks, while bye.
Speaker 2: You know, I it's hard, man, because I I really I've been talking a lot about like what I've learned from doing this show. And one thing I've learned, like just reflecting on my own life is like I've got really great parents. I really do, because you know, my mom didn't you know, hold anything over me like that. And so I'm I'm you know, I empathize with people who you know, have have had these kind of situation situations like recently, you know, I think I had this thing where like I didn't like that my mom like was like babying me throughout my life. And you know, even after I graduated from high school in college, she was still like calling me all the time to ask me, like you know, where I was and what I'm doing, and and checking in on me. And something something clicked to because and I was always like that was always bothering me, like you know, hey, I'm an adult, I'm you know, uh running all around doing all these things like I'm gonna be fine, And then it fucking clicked to me. I'm like, bro, like, you know, it's a it's a privilege to have your mom calling you and checking in on you, you know, like that's a good thing, you know, So I uh yeah, I I told her the last time she called me, I told her, I was like, you know, she said to me, she was like, I know that you're twenty and traveling the world, but in my brain, you're still four years old. And I told her, I was like, you know, I'm sorry if I don't always answer your phone calls, but I'm grateful that you make them, because especially when you get older, you become an adult, it's like nobody's nobody's watching out for you anymore. Nobody's making my dent made a dentist appointment today. Nobody's making my dentist appointments for me. Nobody's making sure that I live my life correctly. You know, I'm twenty six, so it's good to have that little thing of just your mom calling you, you know. Yeah. Anyway, I'm a Gecko. Hello, folks, it's Lyle here. That's the end of this episode. But get this, I'm releasing a bonus episode this week. That's right, an entire extra hour of the podcast that you can listen to by becoming a premium member of Therapy Gecko over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Supercast subscribers get access to bonus episodes. They get a completely ad free podcast feed of the regular show, they get recordings from my live shows, members only streams, and they help support my ability to continue doing this podcast. So here's a clip from this week's members only bonus episode.
Speaker 5: So I want to talk about how I met my husband, which is kind of a freaky story, but I don't recommend people normally do stuff like this. I basically met him playing Legal Legends. It's been like gaming buddies for a really long time. At first, I try to be like a home meet and help them out and be like yeah, girls, or you're going to talk to just you know, like go out like you gotta do this, and like actually trying to get him lad, you know, like a good friend. So then I offered. I was like, hey, I'll take your virginity, like as a joke. But then he was like, okay, you said.
Speaker 2: I'll take your virginia joke like you said, well.
Speaker 5: It was half joking but half like but like if you want to kind of thing.
Speaker 2: You know, if you want to hear this full conversation, you can sign up to become a premium member at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description that's therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. All right, I have nothing else to say, goes on the line, taking his own calls every night. They can goes to just teaching you cloud of your life. It's not really an expert