Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harris and Lauren z Ma coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas, Elsie. One of my favorite shows that we do is what we're doing today. We're taking the listeners questions. I don't know why we've gotten away from this other than we've had great guests and we've been just knee deep and so many other things to talk about on the podcast. But we thought, man, we haven't taken a look at the mail bag in a while, and we have a bunch of questions from viewers. So that's what we're going to do today.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for sending them and through the show's Instagram. At the most dramatic pod ever, and we're going to dive right in, Babe.
Speaker 3: I'm going to start with a question for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, just a couple bachelor questions right off the bat.
Speaker 3: This one.
Speaker 2: After your interview with Michael Chris, I went back and I watched Bachelor Pad.
Speaker 3: It's so good. Why did they get rid of the franchise?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Because so Bachelor Pad evolved into Bachelor Impaired. Bachelor Pad was a good show. It was fun, it was really done on the cheap. I mean ABC, as I said on the podcast if you missed it, ABC really just wanted something in that August September time slot. That is the death of TV. It's like a wasteland of TV is kids aren't in school, you haven't got to the fall yet, you're in the late summer, so it's always reruns and stuff. And so ABC said, we need something to launch the fall shows. Come up with something. That's what Bachelor Pad was. Turns out, it was just a huge success, but it was a little bit problematic in that it was a game show. At the end, there was a prisoner's dilemma. A quarter of a million dollars was on the line, and the show really became about that. And we also have to follow different standards and practices. Legally, it's a game show, and we're always, you know, as producers were more apt to manipulate and bend and try to create drama and love and relationships, and you can't do that if there's a quarter million dollars on the line. Legally, they weren't supposed to do that anyway, And so that is really why Bachelor Pad came to an end. And honestly, it became so successful. ABC's like, let's do a bigger, better show, and that's where Paradise came from. And it became a huge success and one of our highest rated shows.
Speaker 3: Oh and they didn't do it this summer. I don't know if they'll bring it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know they say that they the word is they were going to bring it back, but I don't know. With the numbers that Bachelor, this Golden Bachelorette has not been very successful. The ratings are down considerably and they're struggling, don't I don't know they You know, they loved they made it big. It was awesome and it employed a lot of my friends, including Will's Adams, And I was bummed it didn't come back. They they say it is, but you know, the networks promise a lot of things. We'll see if it comes back.
Speaker 3: Did they actually say it was coming back?
Speaker 1: They did again. I think part of that was because they were mad at me for saying it was canceled. I didn't say it was canceled. I said it definitely was not coming back this summer, which I thought was common knowledge. They got mad at me. They had the tabloids right immediate article saying that I was wrong and I had jumped the gun. I was right, it didn't come back. I was like, all you guys got to do is wait till June. It's not going to be on television. I never got the retraction from those tabloids because it was just a statement of fact. I knew for a fact that people had already been called. They already told the host, they had already told the executive producers that the show wasn't coming back, so it wasn't a secret. But then they quickly came out and said no, no, we'll be back next summer. So I hope they actually will be the same.
Speaker 3: Person is bringing up something specific.
Speaker 2: I don't know because I didn't watch Bachelor Pad, but Dave planned a full mooch on your lips at the finale. I feel like he didn't even kiss Natalie that way. Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: David Good, I don't remember that was I assaulted. I don't remember that, but I do remember being just so shocked at the end of that episode, because you know, there's two hundred fifty thousand dollars on the line. I don't remember that. I need to go back and.
Speaker 3: Watch, let's go back and watch that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'll be honest, I didn't even know Bachelor Pad was available to watch, Like, are you getting these royalties?
Speaker 3: Where are people watching this?
Speaker 1: I do get some weird royalties sometimes when things are sold overseas or you know, it goes somewhere on deep cable or something.
Speaker 2: You know, we get a check for like ten cents. Royalty checks are hilarious.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. We've both gotten checks for like a penny before. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: In both of your jobs and other views of yours, asking previously you did not really speak about politics or journalism. Why is it something you are speaking about now? Well, I don't totally know how to take this because in my previous job I was only a journalist, so I definitely talked about journalists.
Speaker 3: So maybe people mean more for you.
Speaker 2: But and I don't think that we're you know, we are really to make it clear, We've done a couple episodes analyzing the media and the media's coverage of this election, media ratings and media personalities, how media personalities are conducting themselves as journalists, and that that's where our interest lies. We never want to tell you guys who to vote for or how to vote. But I'm just interested in how the media covers it. And we both have deep backgrounds in journalism, both went to journalism schools, so definitely this is we consider it our industry and we get interested in the ratings and how it's being conducted in its future.
Speaker 1: I definitely stayed away from it when I was on Bachelor and Bacherette because I never wanted that to be a topic of discussion.
Speaker 3: Politics.
Speaker 1: Nos, honestly, politics and journalism. I just I didn't dabble in any of those things because I knew what people were watching the show for, which was I was your escape. I wanted to provide that escape. It was a bit of a soap opera, if you will, And I always wanted to be that for whatever you were going through in life, not just politics, but everything. And I've heard some great stories that you were our escape if we were going through an illness in the family or something, and so I was proud to be that. But after finding and falling in love with Lauren, there is a very particular thing that we are both passionate about. We both grew up in journalism, we both cut our teeth and journalism and it's important to us and we debate this all the time, and that's what we wanted this podcast to be was honest and what LZ and I are really excited about and talking about. And one thing is the rise and fall of journalism, how it's evolved and what's going on. And I worked my first job was at a news station in Oklahoma City. I was a journalist and that's what I graduated college with and my degree is in journalism. So it's always been near and dear to my heart. It's just I never wanted to bring that into my bachelor world. But now that you and I have these debates, it is fascinating what's going on to us. And so it's what Laura and I are talking about is we're eating our dinner. So it's what we talk about on the most dramatic podcast ever.
Speaker 2: And there's definitely different modes you can be in, right Like, for sure with The Bachelor, you were in host mode, but you started as a sports broadcaster. I've never been a political journalist. But for example, like even being at Entertainment Tonight when it was like election time, we would sometimes ask celebrities different political questions I mean, obviously the celebrities go out and endorse people, so it could become the topic of an interview.
Speaker 3: So there's always going to be a little overlap, and you might be in different modes.
Speaker 2: I mean, we see people, I think you always have to also look at like who's doing the interviews you're watching and what they're bringing to the table, Like a Joe Rogan is kind of having a conversation with people on his podcast. There are some people who are very classically trained journalists who should be doing a more you know, gritty interview and really pushing their subject and challenging their subject. And then you have some people who like, I don't know, like a George Stephanopolis. I mean he was a political consultant, right.
Speaker 1: Who then kind of in the amistration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then he became an on air political person, but then now he sort of does just interviews with people. And that's always interesting to me too because he wasn't necessarily trained in that world, but he's come into that world. So there's different hosts and modes and overlap, and we're fascinated by it all.
Speaker 1: I'm going to change direction here and go to kind of what our wheel has else is, and that's love and relationships. My fiance still flirts. It is something that he just cannot help himself with. I know it's harmless and he will be coming home with me. Is it okay to continue to let it go and be more secure in myself? Or should I say something because it does bother me a little bit? What's your take?
Speaker 2: My take is that if it's something that consistently bothers you, you have to say something because where is it going to go from here? It's only going to fester, it will only you'll probably blow up at some point. I don't think you can live in a relationship with something that underlying bothers you consistently, right, And I'm not talking about oh, he doesn't pick his towel up off the floor, you know, pick your battles.
Speaker 3: But this seems like a big enough issue to bring up to.
Speaker 2: Me, I even just to talk about it, even to just, you know, not to come at it from a combative place, but to say, hey, you know, can we talk about this like it kind of bothers me, It hurts me a little bit, And maybe his response will be as easily as oh, my gosh, I don't want you to feel that way.
Speaker 3: Let me be more aware of that.
Speaker 1: People don't know until you say something. So the worst thing you can do in this situation is let it go. Let it fester, because as you said, it's bothering you a little bit, and it will manifest anxiety with you and resentment, and eventually that resentment is going to cause a bigger problem. So, as Lauren just said, and I will echo, you don't have to, you know, do it in an attacking way, because it doesn't. It's not the end all be all to you, as you said, but I definitely would say, hey, babe, look, I know you're a flirt and honestly, that's one of the things I like about you is you're so personable and charismatic. But it does bother me sometimes it goes a little bit too far. And look, I love you and I know you're going home with me. Can you just be cognizant of that so you know, it's all in how you articulate it, so he's not defensive. And because it probably is something you adore about him, that he was so flirty with you and so fun to.
Speaker 3: Be around, I will say we had more on the definition of flirt here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a big spectrum.
Speaker 2: I will say, I think people can talk to people of other genders and other like, we all have to be comfortable and confident in allowing our partner to converse with other people.
Speaker 3: But flirting to.
Speaker 2: Me, like, you know, you don't if you're the guy and you're engaged to somebody else and you're like, I don't know, pulling in another woman to sit on your lap, and it's oh, just flirting, No, not okay to me. Everybody can feel where their line is.
Speaker 1: Another very interesting one, babe. And I'm dating someone who drinks and I am not a big drinker. I feel like he wishes I drink more. Do you think a relationship with people on two sides of the drink to be social fence could work?
Speaker 2: I think that you need to be it a pretty similar level of social of socializing as your partner.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I've dated people with addiction struggles in the past, and I will say it's hard because when someone is and this person obviously isn't talking about addiction, but just like for comparison's sake, when someone has an addiction issue, that has to be like a major priority in their life. It has to be for them to stay healthy, and it's hard if you're somebody who likes to like go out and socialize and have a drink and your partner isn't that comfortable with it, or it's even potentially problematic for them. I think that it really helps to be in a relationship where you socialize similarly like you. You know, what I always say is we all want to enjoy life. Right, We'll find somebody who enjoys life the same way as you, and your life's going to be a lot easier and have a lot less conflict. I think drinking at the same level, liking to go out at the same level. You know some people are homebodies in their relationship together. But yeah, I think that's a potential problem.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 1: I agree, And you know, you and I have this discussion a lot. I think when we're young, you hear that opposites a track, opposites a tract, and you know.
Speaker 3: You think I want someone who balances me.
Speaker 1: This person's nothing like me at all. He's a homebody. I love to go out and party. We're perfect together. You grow up and you learn hmm, I like to go out and party and he's a homebody.
Speaker 3: And now I'm out alone. And because I'm out, do.
Speaker 1: You have to be exactly the same? No, And I think it is wonderful that you have different attributes than I have and vice versa, and we push each other and pull each other in different directions to expand our horizons. But with that said, I do think similar interest. I'll be honest. I love wine. I love going to the wine country. We just recently took a trip back to where we got married, which was Napa Valley. You love it as much as I do. You love the people, you love the romance of it. And neither one of us, I would say, are huge drinkers. But we both do it about the same level, I would say, and it's something that's a part of our relationship. And I do think that that is important.
Speaker 2: I think you need one of You're going to be happy if you find someone who likes to live life the same way as you.
Speaker 1: So I'll ask you one more question. You need to lead this off. This is in your wheelhouse. I am having such a hard time getting back into dating after my divorce. My self esteem is down and I don't want to get on the apps any advice to get myself to a place where I am more comfortable to get out there. And I'll just let you know too. We have a great podcast with doctor Viviana Coole and it's kind of dabbles a lot in this, so look for that on the most dramatic podcast ever. But Babe, this is so in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 3: Well yours too. We're both devor says, but thank you.
Speaker 1: You're just a good hype woman.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just want to give this woman so much hype. One thing I hate hearing from friends of mine who have gotten divorced or had big breakups is they're afraid to get out there. They are you know, they don't want to start over that kind of thing. I just think we need a massive rebrand on all of these terms. Divorce can be a good thing. It's a hard thing, but it can be a good thing. Obviously something wasn't working. Now is your chance to find something better. Starting over can be a great thing. And my biggest thing about dating after divorce.
Speaker 3: Look at it as practice.
Speaker 2: This date isn't going to make or break your happiness level. It's not going to make or break who you are as a person. If it goes horribly. You have a great story to tell your friends. When I got divorced, I thought, well, I'm going to go out and date, and like, who cares what happens. I don't have if this date goes badly, I don't have to ever see this guy again. And I just looked at it as like, let me just go have some fun, meet people, see what's out there. And I think dating, like, I actually think it's a good thing. To go on as many dates as you can. You're getting your reps in, You're getting that fear out of you.
Speaker 3: Like it's just like the ten thousand hour rule. You get better at something when you do it a lot, like go out on a lot of dates.
Speaker 2: More than you might even want to with people you might not even feel that confident about, just to get yourself feeling good and confident and get that practice in.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing the person that asks this is a little bit older. You might even have kids, much like I did when I started dating, and I look at it, what would you tell your child as they start dating? What would your advice be? Would it be be timid, be afraid it's scary out there? No, you would tell your son or daughter get out there. Life's waiting for you. Yeah you're going to trip and fall, but that just makes for a good story. You pick yourself up. You've learned more about yourself. You learn what you like, you learn what you don't like, and that makes you better for the next person, and then you're going to learn again. So what advice would you give a friend? What advice would you give your child? Take that advice? It is so hard to look in the mirror. But yeah it's daunting, Yeah it's scary. But would you tell anybody that those are reasons to not get out there and play the game? So true we are.
Speaker 2: I always say I try to give myself the advice I would give a friend. And you know, I want to note here this person says my self esteem is down.
Speaker 3: I hate hearing that from you. I'm sorry and I get that.
Speaker 2: You know, when you've been through divorce a rejection period, you know, our self esteem takes a hit, and then we fear dating is going to be more rejection, our self esteem will take more of a hit. But what I want to say there is I think everybody out there is feeling that way. I think you know, people on dating apps everybody's feeling insecure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me just add one more thing. Your self esteem might be down because maybe you got out of a bad relationship. Maybe he or she said something that really hits you, you know, in a bitter way as they were walking out the door. You know, it can help your self esteem being flirted with, being hit on, going on a date, having a good makeout session. So true, you don't feel higher in life than when those dopamine, you know, and it all kicks in when someone just smiles at you from across the bar buys you a drink. It doesn't even have to lead to anything but go out there and find that. That will build your self esteem.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: More dating in a relationship questions. I have been dating my boyfriend for four years and he forgot my birthday. It's been a few days, still nothing.
Speaker 3: How should I handle it?
Speaker 1: Call a spade a spade man. At this point, you got to call it out. It's not like just be like, hey, babe, not for nothing, but you missed my birthday. It was five days ago. That was a big miss. And my guess, if he's a good person, he will throw himself at the mercy of the court and be like, oh my god, I can't believe I did that. I can't fathom how bad I would feel if I missed your birthday, and or vice versa, if you missed mine, we would be devastated. If life's happening, who knows what he's going through or she's going through. Give him a little grace. If you really love this person. It's not a career ender, it's not a relationship ender. Have a little grace. But at the same time, don't just let the animosity build. Say something. Just be like, hey, it hurt me a little bit. My birthday was last week. Be honest.
Speaker 3: It could be a good wake up call moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't think it's a relationship ender, but I but I do.
Speaker 3: You think it's a moment where that person will hopefully be very sorry. My heart really make it up to you.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. My heart just went out to the person that forgot. I think. I'm just like, oh god, buddy, what did you do? Well?
Speaker 2: And their reaction can tell a lot, right if they get mad at you back, or if they aren't sorry, well, that certainly tells you a lot.
Speaker 1: If he or she comes back with you know how busy I am, then that's a big red flag.
Speaker 2: But you know when people say when people like forget birthdays and stuff and they aren't sorry about it and they say they're busy, I'm like, it's on the same day every year. They had a whole year to prepare for it. Okay, So I don't like the busy excuse.
Speaker 1: I have a great question to end on. Shall we end sure? Okay, what elements of different dating shows would you put together to make your ultimate dating show? I wanted to end with this is the answer is I'm not going to give you an answer, because we're going to show you. Lauren has taught me in our relationship show, Don't Tell We're going to show you we have some exciting stuff in the hopper, and we're going to show you, not tell you of what we think will make the ultimate most dramatic dating show ever.
Speaker 2: Thank you everybody. We definitely yeah, we already have that in mind. I think so it's going to be really exciting. We appreciate all your questions. Thank you for bringing the best kind of drama into our lives, and we love you so much. And dm us at the show's Instagram anytime yeah.
Speaker 1: At the Most Dramatic Pod at the Most Dramatic Pod on Insta and you can always reach us there, and obviously you can always reach Elsie and I via our Instagram as well. So good talking to you, Thank you for your questions, thank you for listening. We love you guys, and we'll do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the Most Dramatic Pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.