Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot Com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. It's our two on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan. That's Dan Patrick Show. Interesting night last night, I had two costumes. I was Harry Potter and then I was an ogre and ran out of candy and I handed out pictures of me. Well, I told the kids I didn't have candy, so if they wanted to get a picture with me, they could. Welcome to the program Our two. Jason Garrett, former Cowboys head coach now working for NBC Football Night in America, will stop by our good buddy. Pat Forty from Sports Illustrated covering college football. You had the initial college football rankings that came out last night. In surprise, surprise, Ohio State's the number one team in the country. But we're more interested in Michigan and what's happening with Jim Harbaugh. It's like it's kind of vague, but it feels like it's vaguely serious. But social media is keeping this alive. And as I told you when this first started, the College Football Playoff Committee does not care about Jim Harbaugh and the so called spygate. This will be about the Big Ten and the NCAA, not the college football playoffs. Eight seven seven three DP show email addressdpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show pull question for hour two before we bring in Jason Garrett Seaton. Let me just hit hour one real quickly. Who had the best week so far? Right now?
Speaker 3: It's tied between the seventy six ers and the forty nine ers at about thirty percent, followed closely at twenty four percent by the Raiders.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they had a great week, and I don't know how good this job is. Let me start there with Jason Garrett, former Cowboys head coach. He's on Football Night in America, also an analyst for Notre Dame Football. Good morning, Jason. How attractive is that Raiders job to you? With that roster they have right now?
Speaker 1: Well, Dan, there's only thirty two of these jobs. So they're attractive, and you know, they're certainly going through a little bit of a challenging time. And anytime you have a regime and then you have a new regime and there's there's transition within that, it's more challenging because they're turning it over and they've made some of these decisions and now they haven't had a chance to finish. And now a new guy comes in and he wants to have a plan. So I think that's part of it. But I do think it's a good starting point to have a guy like Devonte Adams. You have a playmaker on the offensive side of the ball, you got Josh Jacobs, you got you got some weapons over there that you certainly can build around, you know. And and you know, I worked for Nick Saban for a couple of years and he used to always talk about relative to what, and so as a quarterback, you say, hey, we got Jimmy Garoppolo, and some people say, hey, he's not Josh Allen, he's not Joe Burrow, But relative to what, there are a lot of teams that would like to have Jimmy Garoppolo as their quarterback. And so you know, I think there are some pieces of place there on the offensive side of the ball, and I think the guy who gets a chance to go in there, hopefully he gets a chance to have some impact on building the team the way he wants to build it. But there's some cornerstone pieces there that you like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Max Crosby is also there. He almost fits that image of the old Raiders. But I just I wonder Jimmy Garoppolo is not there for the long haul. DeVante Adams contract is crazy after this year, Josh Jacobs, you have him for a little while, and they have the seventh pick in the draft, Like, is that something that would entice somebody who already has a good job, let's say in college, that they would want to coach the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they have a desire to coach in the NFL. Absolutely, And then the devil's in the details over how much say they have to build their kind of program. And I'm remiss and not mentioning Max Crosby. He's one of my favorite players in football. And you know, I think Dan Campbell is a good example up in Detroit of a guy who had an opportunity to go in there. And they're building the team the way he wants to build it. And so I think any job in the NFL, if you have the opportunity to do that and you have a little time to do that, is attractive and you build it in the image that you want. And Max Crosby being a cornerstone piece I think would fit that bill for the Raiders. So you know, you dive in and you go. The obvious challenge is you're in the same division as the Chiefs and all of that, but hell, they're thirty two of them, and you know it's the heck of an opportunity for somebody.
Speaker 2: How involved is the coach at the trade deadline?
Speaker 1: I think it depends on the building.
Speaker 2: How involved were you certainly involved in the discussions.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought the communication that we had when we were at our best in Dallas was really good, you know, leading up to the draft, leading up to free agency, and then certainly throughout the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, we traded for Amari Cooper one year and that wasn't right up against the trade deadline, but it was, you know, we needed a player at that position, and we had we had extensive discussions about who that player was, and eventually he became available and he made a huge difference on our team.
Speaker 2: Have you ever said I don't I don't want to trade for that guy.
Speaker 1: Certainly yes, and you have healthy discussions. I don't want to sign that guy, I don't want to trade for that guy. I don't want to draft that guy. But uh, you know, it's a collaborative effort. The personnel people in the really good organizations are really good at what they do. So it's the job of the head coach to constantly provide the vision for the football team and then if you have good communication, you say, does this decision fit that vision? And the teams that are aligned that way on a consistent basis and acquiring players are the ones that play at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jason Garrett Football Night in America studio analyst, also an analyst for Notre Dame Football, Help me understand what Dabo Sweeney was railing against a caller on his radio show? Is he I thought it was maybe a bigger picture where it's like the manager who tells the umpire throw me out because I want my team to get fired up. You got Notre Dame coming to town. And it almost felt like, you know, stop, you know, pressing me to be what I once was or whatever. But he also wants fire up his team against Notre Dame. They're underdogs at home against Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's probably a pretty good on it. You know, he he's been so good if you look at what that program has done. I mean he's been so good for such a long time. Uh, and not only winning games and going to the championship game and all of that, but you know, developing and developing players.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I love Dabbo. I'm a huge fan. We had a chance to do the Notre Dame Clemson game last year and just just getting a more intimate glimpse of that program, I'm so I'm so impressed. And you know, there's obvious frustration there and you have so much success for a long time and then they're not what they were this year. I'm sure he's feeling some of that, but you know, I think people need to step back and see what he's done and not only the wins, but the impact he's had. And you know, there's a good story about Dabbo. You know, when you're a head coach in the NFL. Leading up to the draft, you call all your guys in college football and say, hey, tell me about your guys. And for years conversations with Nick Saban or other guys, they've had so many players, and so you try to figure out the evaluation. I worked for Nick for two years. I understood how he talked about players, and he loves certain guys. It's one line, just take the guy, you know, if he has truble, if he has trouble with guys. He kind of beats around the bush a little bit and says, hey, if you have a good structure in place, if you have a really good structure in place, this guy can be successful for you.
Speaker 2: Who is the guy that he just said, just take him?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's so many guys that you know, Jonathan Allen, I remember Jonathan Allen. Just take the guy he's gonna play for, you know, And he's right. I mean, it was just such an easy evaluation. But you know, when you talk to Dabbo, you have to decipher the guys because every guy is great, every guy is incredible, every guy you know, and then you could figure out the system to say, Okay, this guy's really better than this guy and you'll work your way through it. But I bring that up to say that he's had such a positive impact on so many people on football. He has such great enthusiasm. So to see him front spread like this, I get it. I hope he gets his own spirit back because it's a really good thing for all of us.
Speaker 2: If you ran the Jets, do you want Aaron Rodgers back this season?
Speaker 1: To me, it's a health It's just simply a healthy.
Speaker 2: Let's say he's healthy, he's cleared. They'd say there's two or three games left, got a chance for the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: This guy's one of the greatest ones that ever walked, you know, and to give him a chance to play, is he the same player that he was ten years ago? I don't know about that, but he's one of the best players in football. And if you could get him back and he is truly.
Speaker 2: Healthy, But you're risking next season. What's that you're risking next season? Aren't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? I mean, And to me, that's the question. You know, some guys get the competitive spirit going and said, I'm going to beat the timeline. I got an ACL but I'm going to come back in eight months. I'm going to come back in And I have a healthy respect for injuries and making sure that you give guys plenty of time. And that comes from experience of maybe allowing a guy to come back earlier than he should have. And because we're all competitive, we all want the guy out there, and he's shown you in practice, So I would be a little concerned about rushing this because just the nature of that injury. But if the question is he completely healthy, absolutely, you wanted to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I'm trying to understand Deshaun Watson when he's medically cleared and then they say that he didn't want to play. How does that happen that you're medically cleared but then he doesn't play well.
Speaker 1: Every injury situation is unique in and of itself, and as a head coach, it's one of the hardest things you have to manage. And and you know, I think, without speaking specifically about him, because I'm not in the conversations, when you have a little issue like that, you really got to get to the bottom of it and and figure out the why of that, and and it takes constant conversation, and you know, some guys have a little bit of a track mentality in that they need everything to be perfect. Some guys are mutters, Hey, I'm fine, they tape it up, spit on it. Let's get going. We can I can go play. And so again I'm not speaking specifically to Deshaun, but that's that's that's a spectrum that you get on and you say, okay, can he play without everything being perfect? You know? And so you got to work through those and they're challenging, they really are. Ultimately, it's a collaborative effort. It's players input along with doctors and trainers and and as a head coach, you just try to manage it best you can.
Speaker 2: All Right, you need to make a choice here on your quarterback Sunday night, Ben Bills, you were the head coach, You're starting with Josh Allen or Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: You're always ask these questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do, Brady, who you taking Josh Allen Joe Burrow?
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow goes to San Francisco and doesn't throw an incomplete pass. He's phenomenal, and you're asking me this question. I love them both, obviously, who doesn't. They're both great and they're going to be great players for the next ten years, they have chances to be Hall of Famers.
Speaker 5: All of that.
Speaker 1: I love Josh Allen. I don't like him, I love him. I love him. I love his competitive spirit. You know, someone once told me that it took thirteen people to get secretaried in the gates before he won by thirty three lens. You know, Josh Allen reminds me of that. He reminds me of this incredible player that you just have to constantly make sure we get him in the gates and let him go.
Speaker 2: So when they do this running late, he's running less, But is he running smarter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to me, it's the secretary of analogy is not necessarily his running. It's just his you know, I'm going to go make the play. I'm going to put the city of Buffalo on my shoulders and I'm going to go do it. And experience tells me that over a seventeen game season in the NFL, that doesn't work. So when they're at their best, it's collaborative. Everybody's there's a piece of it. He's certainly the focal point. And so if he does that on a consistent basis and continues to learn how to do that, and they build the team that way. I love him to death. His competitive spirit is rare for me. But the other guy's off the charts. I mean, Joe cool is something else.
Speaker 2: I think you answered it.
Speaker 1: I did, but by a nose. I'd take Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: Okay, back again to secretariat where you did. You didn't have to worry about when news. Hey great to talk to.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Have fun on Sunday, Bill's Bengals on NBC and Peacock that'll start at to seven Eastern Football Night in America. Thank you, Jason, Thanks Dan.
Speaker 1: I always enjoy it, all right.
Speaker 2: Uh, you got to put him on the hot seat every time he comes on, right, you just you don't let him know what hot seat? What seed is going to be warm?
Speaker 5: There? All right?
Speaker 2: Age seven seven to three. DP show email address, DPA, Dan Patrick, Judgecoon Twitter handle a DP show autograph calendars almost sold out pre order. You can go to Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day brought to you by a Panini America. Speaking of Josh Allen, here is Tom Brady giving advice to Josh Allen.
Speaker 6: I think sometimes he gets used and he wants to run it because he knows he can gain yards there's a lot of confidence in it. But the only problem is, from my standpoint, you're putting yourself in harm's way. And when you put yourself in harm's way, it doesn't take much for someone to land on you, you know, to set you back. And I would love to see Josh save those from very special moments and special case asians to run the ball rather than to run the ball six minutes into the game on a on a second and six, you know, and not that he shouldn't run, but when he does run, slide and make sure no one hits you, because I don't want to see him ever, you know, get hurt. And I want to see him out there playing every week because he's such a he's such a dud.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can change though. It's like Cam Newton when we watched him, we're like man. When he's great, he is, there's nobody like him, and then all of a sudden you start to take those hits and then eventually he's out of the league at an early age, thirty two to thirty three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pulling In twenty twenty two, Josh Allen attempted eight rushes per game this year. He's down to four point five rushing attests for per game. That's down almost fifty percent. The hits are different, but he's never run for less than six times a game in his career, so this is by far the lowest.
Speaker 2: Of his career.
Speaker 7: But there's no sliding going on.
Speaker 2: I think that he's second on the all time list with rushing touchdowns for a quarterback. I think Cam has seventy five and I think Josh has forty five.
Speaker 7: Josh has forty three, forty three and and you know, half, not even half of a career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if he ends up with eighty eighty rushing touchdowns. By the way, Josh Allen did respond to Tom Brady, and he had this to say.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying that he's wrong, but you could get hurt in the pocket just as much as you can outside the pocket.
Speaker 1: That's the only caveat that I have for that.
Speaker 5: You gotta go win a football game.
Speaker 8: And sometimes it calls upon me doing something of putting my body on the line for my teammates, because how much I do love my teammates, and how much you know, I see them working their tails off too, so I gotta give them everything that I have when I'm on the football field. And that's where the flip for me is so hard to turn off is because I just hear so much about winning football games that sometimes it does, you know, cost the riffs to be a little bit higher than eating the role.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I can respect your toughness, but I have to respect your intelligence where you pick your spots there And what Brady is saying, second and six in the first quarter, Okay, are you going to take on two defenders second and six in the fourth quarter final two minutes? Then I understand that because you can say I want to play hard because my teammates are playing hard. They need you to be in the game, so you can't get hurt. If they get hurt, you can still survive. If you get hurt, it's over. And that's the difference here. All right, let me take a break. Should Ohio State be the number one ranked team in the country, And is Michigan Jim Harball really in trouble. We'll have that for you coming up next, Dan Patrick Show. It's important to understand how cybercrime and identity theft affect our lives every single day, and it's personal information that gets exposed and it may not be on your end. It might be somebody that you're communicating with or vice versa. So of a sudden, somebody gets your information. And if you ever receive a phone call from somebody claiming to be tech support from your bank asking for account information, there's a good chance that you are hacked. Somebody is watching. The FBI is warning of a recent surge a lot of elderly victims by the way multi level phantom hackers, scams run by thieves claiming to be tech, bank, even government employees. That's why you need LifeLock. LifeLock to texts and alerts you to potential identity threats. You may not spot on your own loan's taken out your name, crimes committed by thieves pretending to be you. If you do become a victim of identity theft, a dedicated US based restoration specialist will work to fix it. It's easy to help protect yourself with LifeLock. Join now save up to twenty five percent off your first year. Use promo code Patrick one eight hundred LifeLock or LifeLock dot com promo code Patrick for twenty five percent off. Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon Eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. By the way, it's Big ten Saturday Night, It'll be Purdue in Michigan on NBC and Piccock Peacock. That's Peacock here comes Saturday night. First playoff rankings came out, and surprise, surprise at least, I think a lot of people were surprised. Ohio State at the top of the heap, and George's in there, Michigan's in there. Pat Forty from Sports Illustrated joining us, the senior writer for Sports Illustrated. What's the committee telling us about those rankings?
Speaker 9: Well, I think they did value Ohio State's big victories over Notre Dame and Penn State.
Speaker 5: But the other thing they're telling me, Dan.
Speaker 9: Is that they basically just slaughted everybody by how many losses you have. The top five are all undefeated. They're the undefeated ones in the Power five conferences. The next eight are the eight one loss teams in Power five conferences, and then you get to the two loss teams, So strength to schedule as of now is less important than how many times you've lost.
Speaker 2: Give me the one loss team you think that has the best chance of being in the final four.
Speaker 9: I think Oregon because I like their chances to win a rematch with Washington or whoever they may face in the PAC twelve Championship game. Three point loss on the road wild atmosphere kind of gave the game away.
Speaker 5: They've looked great since then.
Speaker 9: They're gonna play some real high quality games here down the stretch, so I think there's strength to schedule going to be there, and if they get in with one loss to the Clubhouse at twelve and one, I think they can make the playoff.
Speaker 2: What's the knock on Georgia, And maybe it's not a big knock. They are second in the country, but first half of the season not formidable, consistently formidable.
Speaker 5: I think two things.
Speaker 9: They didn't play very many good teams, you know, just not a good non conference schedule, and then Kentucky was the only ring team they played. They wiped the field with Kentucky, and now Kentucky doesn't look that good. So there's not that much on the resume yet. And then yeah, they were not. They kind of slept walk through some of those games early. But now the schedule is gonna ramp up considerably. They're playing ranked teams the next three weeks in a row, Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, and then you're looking at an SEC championship game, probably against Alabama, maybe LSU. So their strength of schedule will be there. I think if they keep winning, they will pass Ohio State, but maybe not in the end. After Ohio State plays Michigan, we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 2: Give me the team that is undefeated that will be the first to have a loss. Of those undefeated, I think.
Speaker 9: Keep an eye on Washington there. Good team had a great season, but they've struggled of late in the schedule. Wow, these next three weeks really tough, all playing ranked teams, two of the three on the road, and if they play those teams the way they played Arizona State and Stanford, they're gonna lose at least once, if not twice.
Speaker 2: In that section, what's dabo'swy saying in that rant that he had on his radio show, whether it's to the fan base, to his players alumni, You're lucky to have me, is what he is saying.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's any doubt about that that he feels that way. I think he's also he may not say it out loud, but he wishes it was nineteen ninety two, you know, where players didn't get paid and they won this crazy transfer portal and YadA, YadA, YadA. But that's the way it is. And he hasn't adapted well at all. That's what he's going to have to do. He's gonna have to modernize his modernize his program, modernize his approach. But that was very much a you need to appreciate me for what I've done. This is Clemson and I won two national titles. Let's have a little respect.
Speaker 2: Can Caleb Williams How does he play himself back into the Heisman picture?
Speaker 9: Well, he's got some good opportunities starting this week. I mean, him against Michael Pennix is going to be a big time game. And then they've got you know, they've still got Oregon State on the schedule. I belie theyve got UCLA at the end.
Speaker 5: There. He's got some high profile opportunities.
Speaker 9: They've just they got to win the games and he's got to play great and to win the games, you're gonna have to make your make sure your defense is something other than horrible, which the number of points they've given them their last five games is the most in a five game stretch in USC history.
Speaker 5: It's that bad.
Speaker 2: But I was wondering at the start of the season. I knew the defense wasn't going to be good. I didn't know they'd be this bad. But he was always going to have to stay in the game because they needed to score. Therefore he was going to put up big numbers. I just didn't realize that they're an average team. They have a you know, obviously a great quarterback, but the team seems average.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean defensively they are not good.
Speaker 9: The offensive line leaky, you know, running backs are just kind of pedestrian, and they've got good receivers. And the other thing too, I feel like watching Caleb that he's almost trying to make this spectacular play all the time instead of just making plays.
Speaker 5: And you know, we've all watched quarterbacks long enough.
Speaker 9: Tom Brady didn't make that many spectacular plays, but he made the right play all the time and they won all the time because of it.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Pat forty, the senior writer Sports Illustrated covering college football. Where are we with the Michigan story?
Speaker 9: It's just that, you know, the daily gift. I mean, what's it going to be under the tree today? And we'll see. But the Central Michigan angle now is fascinating. The maybe probably Connor Stallions was on the sideline for the Central Michigan home or away opener at Michigan State. Jim mcelwaye, the Central Michigan coach last night, referred to him as the sigin stealing guy. They haven't admitted that he was there, but it's clear it was him.
Speaker 2: But is he in disguise as well as like Bobby Valentine being in the dugout when he got thrown out of a game in disguise? So this guy, he's got a Central Michigan hat on, and does he have a mustache or glasses?
Speaker 9: He's got to, you know, go tee. But he's got to wearing sunglasses. It was a night game. He's wearing sunglasses. He's got the Central Michigan coaching garb on. How did he know what they were going to wear? Where did he get the bench pass from? You can't tell me. I'm unconvinced that Central Michigan has no idea how this happened, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: But how much trouble is Michigan and Jim Harball in.
Speaker 9: I don't think Michigan. I don't think Jim Harbaugh is in trouble yet for this. He's in trouble for the other investigation. Yeah, you know, there hasn't been anything tying this to him as of yet. The question from an NC double A standpoint is you start piling up various level one violations and there's a strict liability rule now that he could get hit for, but that's next year. Like, if you want to go win the national title this year, it's going to be impossible for the NC douablea to touch them. I don't think the Big ten has a whole lot of interest in doing it. Michigan itself certainly doesn't have any interest in penalizing itself at this point, and I think that there's definitely efforts underway to paint this as just way, Hey, we got a psychopath on the staff that was doing this stuff himself, and that may be the truth. I don't know, but we've got to find that out. But right now it's Connor Stallions on an island in disguise, looking, you know, trying to do who knows what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but why would you do this? You want acknowledgment from Jim Harball. You want to prove your worth to him. You're trying to be on the coaching staff, you want to be elevated. It doesn't make sense. Is somebody's going to go rogue and they're probably going to paint him like he was a rogue employee. Well he was given the information to somebody.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, absolutely, no, I say, like, that's my question. Did the rest of the Michigan staff have no curiosity at all about where Connor Stillions was getting his sign stealing information? Like it's just hey, good stuff, Connor Common? Or was it hey, how are you doing this?
Speaker 5: The other thing, he's pretty proud of himself.
Speaker 9: He used to be on social media and with his friends and everything talking about what he was doing as far as you know, work for Michigan and everything.
Speaker 5: Do we really think that.
Speaker 9: He wasn't bragging like, hey, you know around the building, look what I got. I mean, we don't have the proof of that, but human nature tells me that This guy was probably talking to somebody about you're not going to believe the stuff I'm coming up with on Ohio State, on Penn State, on Michigan State.
Speaker 2: Will this affect the quarterback JJ McCarthy's Heisman candidacy? That is, I don't think an unfair advantage.
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 9: I don't think so, But you know, I mean, the Heisman Trophy has been called like the Nobel Peace Prize of football, you know, where you everything has to be virtuous and lovely and wonderful. And there's a lot of stuff going on around.
Speaker 5: Michigan right now.
Speaker 9: You know, we'll see how they play the rest of the way, but I don't anticipate that becoming a voter issue.
Speaker 2: The last year of the current college playoff format. How's the regular season next year going to be affected?
Speaker 9: It's gonna be this season on Rocket Fuel. It's gonna be fantastic. At this time. Instead of having five unbeatens and you know, eight one loss teams we're looking at and really probably only like three one loss teams, we're gonna be looking at like twenty twenty five teams that are gonna still have a chance to get into the playoff. And so I think the excitement level for all the fans is going to be more widespread. There's gonna be more speculation, more drama of hey, you got to win this game to stay in playoff contention. Now, on the other side of it, the top teams will be able to lose a game. There's less at stake in individual games. You're gonna be able to lose and still get into the playoff. But I think there's just gonna be more excitement for more fan bases nationwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I remember when this came out and there were some analysts said this is bad for college football, and I go, no, you got more teams and the games in November are going to be meaningful, you know that, and maybe incept like your schedule and how you treat that if you have a loss, When you have a loss, two losses, can you still get in? I could a three loss team get in? I think brings in more fan bases for a longer period of time, and you know, maybe these bowl games actually mean something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 9: I mean I think that that there's just gonna be a lot of fascination with how this thing unfolds. And yeah, fans are going to be I think, eating up the you know, the mock brackets and how they look just like they do in college basketball. And so there's just more involvement, more at stake for more teams. And yeah, people are gonna be sweating through all these games in November. Instead of you know, just narrowing your focus, yeah, to a small number, it's gonna be a much wider number. And then when we get campus games in those first round of playoffs, I think it's going to be fantastic, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Pat, thanks for joining us, my pleasure, Dan, thank you, Pad forty Sports Illustrated. Yeah, I think it's wonderful. I think the regular season, you know, I know a lot of people said all the games aren't going to mean as much. I think there's gonna be more games that mean more.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's kind of like to me, like I equate it to who really cares about winning the Pennant when you want to win the World Series?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Is winning the Big Ten now? Is that a big deal? Or is like, well we can lose the Big Ten? Who cares about that? You want to win the national Championship? Right, you want to get to the thing that say, like what Pat was kind of talking about, right, he was just like, yeah, people are going to be eating up all the rankings and the mock drafts and all the mock stuff or whatever, like that's his business. It's going to be great for his business. It's great for our business, there's no doubt about that. But I don't know necessarily that.
Speaker 2: But if you're a fan base and your team is let's say twenty second right now, how about Missouri at Georgia this week now, Now that I mean, that's a really big game for them. They have to win that kind of game. If we had next year's format, then all of a sudden, you're like, even if we lose to Georgia, hey we're still in this. You know, go down to the twenty second ranked team, they still have a chance here twenty thirty, you know, twenty four, twenty fifth ranked team. A couple of wins, you move up. Now you're in the mix there, Yeah, Pauline, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've got the schedule this weekend and it bears that out. Oklahoma is nine, Oklahoma State's twenty two. They beat Oklahoma, that they're right back in the thicke of things for a late playoff spot.
Speaker 2: You look at in next year's format.
Speaker 7: Right, next year's format, Washington USC USC is not really playing for anything more. Next year they'd be playing to get back in it. Oregon State is ranked sixteen, UCLA's ranked nineteen. All these games would matter. I think, what is the other game? A and m at old Miss?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, miss, you're trading some games that matter for them, but then discounting the ones that didn't matter. Those two losses don't matter now, well, USC, they do, No, they don't. We just said that they're still right in it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they would be. They would get in the top twelve. They still have to win the Pac twelve. Yeah, but they're still right in it now. The two losses didn't matter, it would because then they'd be in the Big Ten and they would be playing in a conference championship. So next year at this time, if they had that record, Ohio State and Michigan are undefeated, so they wouldn't have a chance. This year they might if we had twelve teams, but next year in a new conference probably won't matter. All right, we'll get some phone calls here, Gary and Santa Maria, Hi, Gary, Hey, are you doing?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 4: Five eleven and a husky two thirty husky?
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: When I lived in Michigan too, the night before Halloween was called Devil's Night, and Fritzy was to the show yesterday? What Garoppolo was to the game Monday night?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow, a little harsh, yeah, accurate, harsh Yeah, Well you pooh poohed Halloween. Did you have a good night?
Speaker 10: I did have a good night. We had a lot of kids coming over it. It was actually a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Did you yell at anybody any older kids?
Speaker 5: I didn't yell at anybody.
Speaker 10: But it was a came walking into the house for some reason, and his older brother said, Billy, we don't just walk into people's houses.
Speaker 11: What are you doing.
Speaker 10: It was just a cute little moment, his little blond kid, he must have been six years old. And I opened the door and I'm going to give him the candy they stick their bags at trick or Try. He just keme walking into the house and he's looking around and looking up at the chandelier. It's really warm in here. And his brother, Billy, you know, just walk into people's houses.
Speaker 6: Like that.
Speaker 10: It's a cute little moment. Okay, just wandering around the inside like my living room.
Speaker 2: All right, but you did, okay Daniell today, but no kit.
Speaker 10: Cats, three Musketeers, Twiss Milky ways. Everybody was happy and it was some cute costumes.
Speaker 5: Was great.
Speaker 10: Yeah, little kids.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you should have taken a kid down, put him like a half Nelson and teach them you can't walk into stranger's houses.
Speaker 10: This guy couldn't believe this kid just kind of waltzed in there. But it was funny. This older brother kind of at least new enough to say, you're not supposed.
Speaker 2: To do that. Let's take a break here. We'll get more phone calls as well. Ian Rappaport will join us in the final hour of the show. We'll talk about the trade deadline. Also Tom Brady's involvement in the Raiders. When is he going to be a part owner and how involved is he going to be with the Raiders. We'll have that for you coming up as well. Back after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 11: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to.
Speaker 2: Seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing.
Speaker 11: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 12: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber lit jam and me.
Speaker 11: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 12: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also going to talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 11: Well, if you don't get enough Cavino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 12: There you go, over Promising, Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Oh my god, the play of the day, God play.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 11: Check this out and bounced past comes to Durant and Durant we'll have it knocked away.
Speaker 5: It's strolling by Johnson.
Speaker 11: It takes a sideways love it ahead.
Speaker 9: The Spurs take the lead with two second vating.
Speaker 12: It's one fifteen, one fourteen.
Speaker 2: The steal by Kelton Johnson and the basket. That's courtesy of the Spurs Radio Network. What a wild finish. Spurs were down twenty came back. Keldon Johnson steals the ball from KD gets the go ahead basket. Wow crazy, that's your stat of the day, brought to you by the great folks at the Breeders' Cup, the World Championships at Santa Anita Park. That'll be coming up on Friday and Saturday. Tune into USA and NBC November third and fourth to catch all of the action. I had some phone calls here. If you're Mark Davis, you own the Raiders, who can you bring in that will be between Mark Davis and let's say the GM and the coaches. Can you bring in a football person who can help? Because they've tried, they failed, they're still paying John Gruden. I believe they're going to be paying Josh McDaniels his entire salary.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: Is this an attractive job? I give you go, man, look at the Raiders. They got a great receiver, great running back and a great edge rusher. You got a new stadium, and then you go, well, we don't have a quarterback and DeVante Adams contract is terrible coming up. But is this an attractive job? Because if you said, I could have the Bear's job where they don't have anybody, or you could have the Raiders job where they do have some quality talent.
Speaker 3: Yes, these are just the internal struggles that you're talking about. That's none of the external factors that come along with having young rich men in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: But is this an attractive job? I don't know because I'm working for an owner who's cheap, he's not his dad. And can you recreate one of the great images Fan bases that we've had in football history. And I don't know if you can't like Vegas is glitchy type, Where's the Raiders. I mean that was John Matusac and Lyle Alzado and Howie Long, and you know there was that feeling of they were different than everybody else in the NFL, even their quarterback. You know, he had Kenny Stabler, Darryl Lamonica, the mad Bomber, Artchell. I mean they had all of these, Jack Tatum, Fred Blitnikoff.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, if you look at the Raiders situation, they can easily move on from Jimmy Garoppolo at the end of this season won't be that big of a hit. They're probably going to have a top eight draft pick, so they could be in that Michael Pennox window to get a new quarterback. It seems I think it's more attractive than the Washington Commanders as far as like the Commanders have a decent roster.
Speaker 2: They have probably a better roster or deeper, But they just traded two defensive players, two starters. Yeah, and I get why they did it if I'm looking at the contracts here with Montrez Sweat last year of his rookie deal. Bears are going to have to pay him. Are they going to franchise him or are they going to give him a long term contract. Chase Young is in the fourth year of his rookie deal. Washington didn't pick up his fifth year option. He would be a free agent after the season. Niners don't have to pay him much this season feels like it might be a one year rental. I don't so, Washington. I think's going to be open, Chicago open, Raiders open. Let's see how it goes with the Chargers. I don't know what other jobs Tampa Bay might be, depending on how that goes in the second half of the season. But if you're going to look at these openings, do I want the Bears job because I can start. I am starting over and I might be starting over. With two of the top three or four picks in the draft. That's enticing rookie contracts. But it it still comes back to this. There's a couple of things at play. When somebody says, oh man, you got all these draft picks, Well, look when the Browns had all of those draft picks. It's who's drafting the Ravens for some reason. Well, the reason is they're really good. They seem to find a great player, not necessarily in a high position, like they're really really good at what they do. The Browns have been really really bad at what they do with all those draft picks. That's what I want to know, who's making the picks? How good are you? What's your track record? And also going back to Josh McDaniels, he is the poster child for what I've said for years on this show. Not every coordinator should be a head coach. There's certain coordinators who should be coordinators, and he is certainly one of those guys. He didn't do anything to distinguish himself in Denver and certainly nothing here in Las Vegas. There are guys because when you run a team, you're a CEO. When you're a coordinator, all you're worried about is that side of the ball offensive defensive coordinator. Now you got to be involved in special teams, offense, defense, deal with the fans, deal with the media, deal with the owner. I mean, there's a whole lot involved in this, and Josh McDaniels failed. Yes, Marvin, do you think.
Speaker 13: The Raiders or the Commanders if they get new head coaches should try to make a big splash and try to get a big name or just the best guy for the job, like an up and coming coordinator. Maybe try to prove himselfs well.
Speaker 2: Does Eric Benemy get promoted that this was going to be he had a chance to I'm away from Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes. Now we get a chance to see if Eric Bnemy is going to be a head coach. We haven't talked about the offense we did at the start of the season. People did, Hey, Eric Benemy, We're not talking about that anymore. I would think that ownership would move on from Ron Rivera and Eric beenemy. Now, Sam Howe, you have enough sample size where you go, all right, we've seen enough and I'm gonna guess with this new ownership and they spend a lot of money on this, you're gonna want You're gonna want a clean house. You're gonna want to try to get an elite quarterback, big name quarterback, maybe a trade for one, but I don't think you want to bring in like, let me bring in a Jimmy Garoppolo or whoever you want to throw out there. You know, Kirk Cousins, bring him back you need to make a splash. You got the one year haul pass by taking over for Dan Snyder next year, the Washington fans are gonna be like, uh, what have we got here?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 13: Mark, And if you're the Bears and you're trying to go for that head coaching spot, do you have the longest leash because the team is so bad? They say, Hey, if I was with the Raiders or the Commanders, have two years, as opposed to if you're the Bears head coach, we have four years.
Speaker 5: Because they're such a young team.
Speaker 2: I would think three years is the window.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: May not be fair, but I think three years is a good sample size of getting your players in there. I would argue that you need probably four years when you're going to draft and get your players, turn over the roster, get your philosophy in their coaching philosophy. But Bears, to me would be interesting. Washington, great fan base. I don't know about the Raiders, and can you ask Tom Brady to get involved with the Raiders. We'll talk to Ian Rappaport about that.