Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spaffer, joined as always by my trusted colleague was Hodkoitz. We're coming to you here from the Potawatom Sportsbook Studio. I got it first time, and I got it right.
Speaker 2: I did home run right out of the bart. But speaking of.
Speaker 1: Home runs, how did you do on the golf course?
Speaker 2: I did well, buddy, Okay, I did really well. I was proud of myself. First time being out this year, had very modest expectations. But I think if you asked Pahad, I carried our four like Scramble. I carried our team are foursome. So I was very happy. And I mean, as you can probably attest to too, you could not have beaten the weather in Wisconsin, northern Wisconsin where I was over the weekend. I mean that was picture perfect esque conditions. So I was hitting him across the links. You were catching carp crappy, crappy. Sorry, big fisherman over here.
Speaker 1: Yes, the weather, the weather was great and the fish were biting a little bit. Rough day on Saturday, much better day on Sundays. But had some fun and uh but We've got some Packers football to talk to you, because last week we got to watch one of the Packers OTA practices. Shortly after we are done recording this episode, we're gonna head out and catch another OTA practice that we can talk about on our next show. But as far as Week one of OTA is and what we got to witness out there at Raynichigi Field, we us I'll just open it up to you, what caught your eye, what stood out for you during that workout.
Speaker 2: The first thing that stood out for me isn't necessarily anything we saw directly during the practices, but Matt Lafleur coming out and saying straight away that Tucker Craft, the hope for him is to be back for training camp or early in training camp. And honestly, Mike, the way we all everything we've seen a little bit. We've even watched him now doing rehab off to the side. I mean, Lafleura said it himself, I mean, Tuck looks like he could go today. Yeah, you know, he's had a tremendous recovery from this, a great rehab. Obviously, clock the hours, spent a lot of time in Green Bay, took a little time to himself in Arizona with his family, but otherwise it's been all systems go, working towards this season. Obviously still looking to lock up that long term deal with his rookie contract expiring after twenty six, so not that he ever needed any additional motivation, but boy, it sure looks like Tuckerkraft is locked in.
Speaker 1: It's very reminiscent of last year with Christian He really isn't it, because we there were so many times that we saw during practices Watson was continuing his ACL rehab off to the side and everybody's looking at him saying, yeah, he looks like he's ready to go, right, But there's a timeline, there's a process to this, and the packers are going to follow that with regard to Kraft, just as they did with uh with Watson, so so patients will be required, certainly, the way Watson came back last year, everything turned out quite nicely. The other update, of course, Micah parsons everything from what we've been told, the rehab is going well. The expectation is he will start training camp on pup and we'll see how We'll see how things play out in there.
Speaker 2: In Matt's saying two, he expect him back. Actually, I think he will be back because we got the softball game this week. I think for him coming up now too. Whether or not he's able to participate in that, it remains to be seen, but I think it's him and Jordan Love had that coming up on the horizon as well. So when you look at Micah, we haven't obviously seen him as much as as Tucker in terms of our eyes. You know, Tucker, I seem like every time I walked in the building he was driving through uh but but by all accounts, a really good recovery for him. DeVante Wyatt was with the rehab group during practice as well. So for the Packers, I mean, for to get the guy's back, the key playmakers back, and to have them making progress is really We'll talk about some of the other observations from otis, but that's what you want to get the most out of this. Zach Tom also at the rehab group, but the hope is he'll be ready for training camp. So Packers, when you look at last year and how it ended with the reserve lists, you can make a case that like half of their top eight players were all on IR at that point. So to have a little bit of positivity there I think is really important and certainly I think would be uplifting for this roster if you see number eighty five and these other guys get back during camp towards this goal now of twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll we'll just have to see where things go. I mean, because we still just turn the camendar to June, so there's a lot of a lot of time to go here. The other thing that was addressed by Matt Lafleur right before last week's first open practice to the media the situation with Josh Jacobs. After we recorded our episode last week, the news broke about Josh being arrested for a domestic incident, and the following day he was released. The county prosecutors have not made a decision on whether or not he's going to be charged or what he may be charged with, So the packers have made it clear they're letting that situation play out. The legal process is going to have to run its course here. So with that in mind, turning back to the on the field action during practice, what did you like about what you saw or what caught your eye?
Speaker 2: Well, starting with the running backs, right because I mean, Chris Brooks is a guy that you don't want it to be under these circumstances. But he's a dude that has sort of been under the radar for Green Bay for a while. But the Packers made it a point to sign him to not just restrict attended the game of two year contract. Yeah this offseason. I mean, this is one of those jack of all trades players. I always compare him to Tony Fisher. He reminds me a lot of that, not only just with what his role is, but also his physical frame. He's a guy that can stand up to bull rushes. He's a guy that can take on linebackers and also the hope here and again, we'll go out to practice and we'll see where things are at. But Marshalloyd has been with the Packers all off season. He's gotten some answers after going out to the West Coast. The Packers have him on a plan. He took part in the individuals last week, but did sit out of the team periods. So it was Pierre Strong and Chris Brooks handling those first team reps. But you and I said it on the sideline when we're watching him in the individual drills. When you draft of running back, when you actually put that investment into a player that's one of the top of the line coming out of college, they just look different. And we spent a lot of time focused on, you know, Marshawn Side when he came out. I wrote a feature on him and kind of the way he's built, but his speed and his explosiveness for a guy of his caliber, when you tie it all together, we all know he could be special. It's just a matter of he can finally put all this this rash of injuries behind him. So I thought it was a good day for the RBS, and then you know, just spinning it forward a little bit more. Man, it seems like every off season I say this, but Christian Watson, dude just looks fantastic, just his physical makeup and just watching a guy that has this amazing frame and tremendous speed for a guy that's six', four but just the way he's. BUILT i, mean when you look at the picture the portrait of what a receiver looks like in The National Football, league it Is Christian. Watson SO i just thought there's a lot of positive things that draw from that. Practice you, Know Matthew golden running with the, ones a lot of passes going his way during the team.
Speaker 1: PERIODS i thought so. Too it was just a really good, flow, YEAH i mean. It and this is typical for the springtime when it's when it's no pads and you, know everybody's kind of learning the. Offense and from what we've heard From Matt, lafleur they they sort of tore things down to the bare bones and rebuilding like where to. Go and you see in THESE ota practices the ball kind of goes like lots of different, directions, RIGHT i, mean it goes To, watson it goes a couple of times To. Golden they get the ball in saving On william's, hands you, KNOW i mean and and and then you know you're working the running plays as. Well as you, mentioned we didn't See Marshawn lloyd in the eleven on. Eleven it sounds like he has done some eleven on eleven and, OTAs but The packers are not going to run him into the. Ground regardless of The Josh jacobs. Situation there's a plan For Marshawn lloyd that is completely separate from The jacob situation because of everything that he has gone through with his body and with his, health SO i hope we get to see a little bit more of, him you, know here this. Month but again it's really going to be more about training camp when the pads are, on and him getting action in the preseason. Games for somebody who has played so little in the first two years of HIS nfl, career there's there needs to be a ramp up for him to get to where he wants to, be to get to where The packers want him to, be so that he can play a full season and and help out this. Offense with regard to the injured, players we did get a look at the first team, offense first team, defense and some rotations and whatnot that we're going. On it's worth pointing out that In Micah parsons apps since the first two edge rushers with the number one Defense Lucas vans And Baron, serell the fourth round draft pick from last, year some other guys were rotating in for. That but then also on the offensive, side the right tackle Replacing Zach tom as he continues his rehab is the Veteran Darian. Kinnard some other depth chart Observations if you want to share, them but those were the TWO i think that jumped out the.
Speaker 2: Most currell's a big one because you Have Brenton cox junior there. Too AND i pontificated a lot About cox last. WEEK i, SAID i, mean this, guy what he was doing on the second team, UNIT i, mean the second team tackles are have a hard time getting a hand on, HIM a guy that we'd all sort of forgotten about a little bit right because of the core injury last. Year But brenton is still very much in this. Thing but the fact that they did Give serell that opportunity to work across From lucas fans and these practices speaks to the offseason he's had and also the way he finished last year a very positive note In, minnesota AND i thought was one of the MVPs of that, Game and you could tell afterwards how much pride in being in the locker room that he took because it was a long wait for. Him there's a lot of bodies at Edge rusher last, year especially When. Michaeh parsons was, playing because he's a guy that doesn't really come off the field that. Much once he was, healthy you, Know mike is playing eighty two percent of the defensive. Snaps And rashaan is the type of guy too that was in that fifty to sixty, Range so it was tough to get to the, trough so to. Speak, Right so Now baron's going to have that. Opportunity you would have loved to have Seen Colin oliver out. There unfortunately he was one of the DMPs in this, practice was with the rehab. Group but The packers have so many different options at edge rusher right, now And i'm just excited who comes out of. That the THING i thought is the most, interesting and it's been more of a philosophical change that we've seen really Since. COVID i would say in that seeing the young guys and the rookies getting involved at the first team starting offensive.
Speaker 1: Defense that was the next THING i was going to ask you, about because because while they weren't taking the initial like the very first rep what the first teamers we Saw Brandon csa at, Cornerback chris mcconllin at defensive. Tackle those two draft picks in, particular were in the rotation with the number ones before they kind of blow the whistle and the and THE uh and the second units go, In so those guys were getting getting some snaps with the first. Unit and, yeah as you, said it's it is a little bit of a philosophical. CHANGE i think that that maybe partly because of just so many more practice limitations even in training camp now compared to you, know not that long, ago like previous cbas where players would always have would always have that chance to ramp themselves up in training camp and get those. Opportunities now there aren't as many of those in a training. Camp so if you want, somebody you, know to if you want a rookie to really be ready to play and to help out your team in some fashion in week, one they have to get used to running with the, ones as they, Say AND i think that's partly where that comes.
Speaker 2: From, yeah and this is no disrespect To mike. McCarthy i'm sure If mike heard me say, this he probably end up punching me on the. Shoulder BUT i always WHEN i first started covering the, team it was just it was SO i don't want to say it's, antiquated but it was like all the rookies had to run with the second and third team offense and, defense AND i JUST i always go back to that thirteen training. CAMP i KNOW i write about it a lot AND i talk about it a, lot But i'm Watching Alex green And James starks run with the, ones and at the other end of the, field you Got Eddie lacy And Jonathan, franklin who were a second round pick and a fourth round pick Right alabama AND, ucla and they're they're going against these guys that probably aren't going to be in THE nfl this upcoming. SEASON i just was, like, like kind of what are we doing? Here because The packers very when we went into twenty thirteen coming off the twelve, Season Cedric benson and the litany of guys That Green bay brought in at the end of that. Year they needed to draft a running back and they got him And Eddie. Lacy get the guy out there was the thing that was in the back of my. Head, yeah because it's not just About, okay well this is going to be the. Starter it's, about, Hey Brandon, Ceesay Keishawn nixon And Carrington valentine come. Out you're. In Benjamin saint just wasn't. Practicing get over, there get in the, game and you need to have you need to be familiar with. That you need to get comfortable with. That. Now csea's twenty years, old but you AND i discussed it after. PRACTICE i wrote about an insider inbox On. Monday this dude was a full grown. MAN i, mean and he is, fast and he is, physical and the way he triggers watching him and isolating on him a little, BIT i felt like there's a lot Of Javon boullard to, him where it was, like this dude is not. Afraid, now obviously they're not in, pads BUT i, mean this, guy he attacks it and it's, instinctual and that's what you want to see from a guy that has that type of speed in that type of, size so to get. Him and Also chris, McClellan And i've said it numerous times, NOW i don't know If i've covered a defensive lineman here that has the type of body type That chris McClellan. Has he's a little bit bigger Than Mike, daniels but he's long and his we talk about the hand. SIZE i, mean this dude brings a different. Dimension he was hustling out there, Too SO i just like seeing those young guys get. Incorporated and one other REASON i bring up the offense or the number ones and going on is because they do split squad, now so you very easily could Have cisay and McLellan down with the twos taking every rep as opposed to you, know being down there and rotating in back in the McCarthy are a lot of times it was we were watching one offense and one defense and then the other ones would sub. In so it's just another philosophical thing that you've seen. Changing BUT i.
Speaker 1: Think part of, it just to touch on the McCarthy, THING i think there was a little bit of an old school mentality with him that any rookie that walked in the building you had to earn a rep with the first, two and so right at the beginning you're not just going to be handed that. Opportunity and, yes things are different, now AS i, mentioned there's not as much practice, time there are more limitations in, OTAs there are more limitations in training camp and in the regular season for, practices so it's taken on a whole different. Dimension BUT i think when you're talking a dozen fifteen years, ago we were in a little bit different world and there was there was kind of a mentality of you, know a rookie is never just going to be handed. Anything you're going to have to earn it against the guys who have been, here even if the guys who have been here are not expected to beat you out. RIGHT i, mean and that's that's kind of how that.
Speaker 2: Went and that works AT, Iowa but in The National Football league it's like sometimes you need to make a little push, there very.
Speaker 1: Very, true very. True, well we're going to pay a couple of bills here. Quickly with a word from our. Sponsor SERIOUS. XM Nfl radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the MINUTE nfl news that true football fanatics. Need twenty four to, seven three sixty. Five welcome back To Packers, unscripted All Right, west before we head out to the practice field to watch another practice that we can talk about on our next show later this. Week, Monday june one was a whale of a in THE. NFL i, MEAN i got back from the fishing ex version and opened up my phone and started scrolling through and seeing all the news that broke on my drive. Home Miles garrett gets traded to The La. Rams Aj brown gets traded to The New England, patriots and there are some other transactions and whatnot that happened around the. League just what did you what did you think of Of june? ONE i, mean is this gonna be BECAUSE i know there are always salary cap implications With june one as. WELL i, mean is is this is this gonna be the new trend in THE nfl that On june first there, moves but there are gonna be all these like major you, know major, transactions, uh you, know blockbuster trades going. ON i mean it was quite a.
Speaker 2: Day, yeah it was. NUTS i mean Then Odell Beckham, junior you, Know Braxon. BARRIOS i mean like there was there was a lot of stuff that happened in THE, nfl And i'm sure EVERYBODY nfl network and the media entity of the league is probably excited about. It i'll tell. You, Okay SO i was WATCHING i was actually sitting a couple tables down from here and was in the middle of writing insider inbox AND i looked to my right and the ticker came up there right. Away and you know it's fast when they end up misspelling. It at first THAT espn there was a type one. There compensation had two season and then and then you see it quickly. Change it was during the McAfee. Show but what stunned me the most was The La rams when they bring up that graph of their first round picks over the last twelve years and there's two players on it and now one of them you just trade it like it's just the you give less sneed credit And sean, mcvahal, mean they're doing it different than everybody else in the. League everybody else is, like we won all the, picks draft and, develop and obviously it. Works John schneider just won a world championship with that. Strategy but this is how The rams have done it. Forever they have kind of in some ways Rob peter to Pay, Paul but this is a generational player AND i Like Jared. VERSE i think he's going to be a player and hopefully everything goes okay for him In. Cleveland that's a that's a different market in terms of the notoriety of it and obviously the issues they've had just trying to rebuild that franchise since they were reintroduced in a league now twenty seven years. Ago but For Miles garrett now to get a chance to play on a. Contender there were so many people that drew the comparisons between him And Matthew, stafford a guy that has already established himself In garrett as A Pro Football hall Of, famer probably the best pass rusher of his, generation or in the, conversation is like the one or two to now get a chance to go TO la and sort of get that last part of his career that he hasn't really had, yet having an established playoff run hopefully and then a world. Championship this is this is what it's all. About thirty years, Old you've got to get. Moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well and The, rams obviously they there isn't a definitive, timeline but the clock is ticking On Matthew. Stafford they know, that they know what that's two year contract and they, were you, know that close last, year right with facing their division, rival The Seattle seahawks and THE nfc championship and the game comes right down with the, wire you, know could have gone either, way and The seahawks end up winning at, all and The rams are gonna are gonna make that push, now and, yeah With Miles, garrett it's like you know you always wondered from was was he gonna be the Next Joe, thomas you, know This hall of famer for The Cleveland, browns who was gonna play his whole career there and never really get a realistic shot at you, know at a Super, bowl.
Speaker 2: Never played in the. PLAYOFFS i don't, think, RIGHT i don't Think thomas.
Speaker 1: Did, NO i don't Think Joe thomas did did play in a playoff, game although My Miles garrett has, Played, yes one has played in In in the, postseason THE Aj brown trade TO, uh to The New England patriots was probably like the worst kept.
Speaker 2: Secret were you surprised it was a first? Rounder? YEAH i?
Speaker 1: WAS i. Was, YEAH i, Mean Elliott wolf gave, up gave up a, lot but he you, know clearly he went about revamping the receiver poss For Drake may as franchise. Quarterback you, know they Signed Romeo. Dobbs now they trade FOR Aj, brown it's going to be a completely different set of pass catching weapons for For Drake may now moving forward AND uh and, yeah the with with The, patriots it's, like, okay if if they get their offensive line squared, away you know for the, postseason that's a team that that a lot of people, think could you, know make another run and get right back. There they took advantage of took advantage of some real misfortune on the part of The Denver broncos last, year you, know to get to the Super. Bowl but but then you, know it was kind of a dud Super bowl for. Them so there's a lot of motivation In New england, to, uh to make another run at this.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah get over the hump, too and and hopefully for, them you, KNOW i think they're looking At Mike vrabel sort of being the receiver whisperer and getting paired up again with Aj brown if he can get him, back you, know kind of on. Track because just with How haywire that went last, year specifically In, PHILLY i JUST i just wondered what the market was going to be like for him and for him to still get a first round. Pick that's a lot of respect this day and, age with what receivers are getting and, making there's a lot of people that will just go out and pay a receiver Like Romeo dobs seventeen and a half million dollars, say join our, roster no compensation in terms of the draft. Picks and then In New england was, like let's bring it all on now With.
Speaker 1: Brown, yeah it's it's, INTERESTING i, mean you, know to see AND i guess speaking more more about Like Miles, garrett where you're talking about a guy who's on A hall Of fame, trajectory and you know The Micah parsons trade By Green bay last, year we're seeing we're seeing more of. THIS i, mean you, know the big Time hall Of fame level players getting moved as and you, know it's not like it's not like The rams didn't give up. ANYTHING i mean they gave Up Jared verse and you, know three fairly high draft, picks just like The packers gave Up Kenny clark and two first round. Picks, RIGHT i, mean you don't get these guys for. NOTHING i, mean these they're they're called blockbuster trades for a. Reason and, yeah IT'S i mean two years in a. Row are you'll believe now the you, know the two top edge rushers in all of football have have changed. Teams all.
Speaker 2: Right Odell Beckham junior over under for number of catches this season with The New York giants point. Five does he make it To week? ONE i don't. Know i'm. CURIOUS i don't, Know i'm. CURIOUS i was thinking in my head after that all went. Down it's just there's been so few examples OF Nfl i'm just talking about receivers, specifically no other positions of franchise like face of the franchise type receivers who have gone back home and then gotten it back on. Track especially With beckham being out of the league last year and just these ebbs and flows of his career over the last five six. Years i'm Just i'm. CURIOUS i count me. Curious, yeah everyone loves a great. Story but even like as soon as he signed, back immediately thought, of Like Jimmy graham going back To New, orleans and it's, like this is the only city where this guy's gonna play at that point in his, career and what ultimately can he give you at this. Point I'M nfl is gonna love. It but my, goodness, man the amount of content that they pushed with, That like it is That Odell Beckham junior is still a big. Name oh, yeah and for how fast and how hot he started his career the way it kind of tailed, Off, yeah it's just the guy is Still maybe that's a New york. Market maybe that's just his, personality but the guys.
Speaker 1: Still combination of BOTH i think, there but, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah he still gets the. Clicks.
Speaker 1: Yeah the receiver position is always is always interesting to me because when you get to the point as a wide receiver when you when you lose a, step you, know in terms of the speed you lose a half step or or, whatever do you does the does the player have the you, know the savvy and the knowledge and everything of A DeVante adams where you don't even notice necessarily that he's not as fast as he was seven or eight years. Ago or does the offensive, coordinator the head coach do they have to scheme the guy open because he doesn't have what he had. Before AND i think that's WHAT i, think that's what everybody's wondering about About Odell beckham and how this is gonna.
Speaker 2: Go that's the hidden secret with, receivers isn't.
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Right If DeVante runs a, four, three, nine he's probably a first round pick in twenty, fourteen, Right but he ran like a four or. Five, Yeah but at the same, time it wasn't like he needed blazing speed to beat EVERY. dB the guy has maybe the best footwork IN nfl history for a, receiver or at least in the conversation for, it with how much that is predicated on his. Game and it's kind of like an old box or a heavyweight boxer having the power just being able to still knock him. Down you, know if the chin holds, up they're still going to find a way to get you. Down so, yeah, No i'm it'll be. Fun and ALSO i got to tie it back before we close the. Conversation packers will now See Miles garrett this. Year probably he's worth mentioning. That you, know people were saying an insider. Inbox, well at least he's not in The. North i'm like he is in THE nfc. Now and The Green Bay packers are going to have A Thanksgiving eve pre dinner with one of the best the games ever.
Speaker 1: Seen and The packers are going to face that Revamped New england receiving core With Romeo dobbs AND Aj. Brown they're going to face that team as well in twenty twenty. Six so with, that we'll call it a rap on this edition Of Packers. Unscripted be sure to follow all of our coverage Of packers OTAs we'll have all kinds of, stories, videos and everything else for you this week on packers Dot. Com we'll be back in a couple more days with another episode and another practice to talk. About so For, WES i Am, mike thank you for tuning.
Speaker 2: In.
Speaker 1: Everybody we will say next.
Speaker 2: Time