Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte. Oh my goodness, you guys, we have the most special guest. It's the return of Easton, our producer.
Speaker 2: This is such a thrill. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love having you back and for this particular episode especially. It's called The Big Time. It aired July thirtieth, two thousand. It is directed by Alison Andrews, written by Jenny Biks and I'm so excited to have a male perspective. Okay, I'm excited to share. It's got some big topics in this one. Big topics. Okay. So when I think of this episode, I think of Charlotte storyline involving the boat. Like you know how there are some things that I remember really clearly, you know about about filming, and some things I have no memory. A little. The boat I definitely remember because it was very beautiful, very cold. There's two scenes on the boat. One I'm not wearing a rap and the other I have this like pashmina wrapped around. I think, I like, couldn't stop shivering level cold. I'm always cold, as you know, but it was gorgeous. But another situation like the Staten Island Ferry. This was like our boat season. For some reason. We start season three with the stet Island Ferry. Now we're on this like it's like a party boat, you know.
Speaker 2: Like a small yacht or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was pretty nice. I remember being pretty nice. And we also had to do the thing we did on the Stateland Ferry, which was turn the boat around so that the background matched.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, because you're.
Speaker 1: Getting the city on one side and New Jersey on the other. We were in the Hudson River, so you couldn't just keep sailing down the river, right, you had to turn back around so that it matched for each take, right, And you know, it's such a pain. But it was really pretty fun, except that it was really cold. But I remember being really fun. And I remember it being fun partly because Kyle at that point was this was his second episode. Weird that he came in the middle because we would have you know, a director would do two at a time. Yes, right, so I guess he came in the middle and did one with Alison, No, sorry, one with Nicole, one with Alison. Anyway, he was brand new, right, and this is the episode where you really see clearly that the original idea for Trey was that he was not interesting.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Because he's telling the story of how he met He's telling it so adorably right, and obviously I as Charlotte and like just hang on every word, and I think it's so cute and funny. And Carrie's voiceover is telling us that she already remembers all the details because she's heard it so many times, so that this I think we abandon this after this episode because he's Kyle and you just can't continue down this road of that he's not that interesting and exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even when he's delivering this like boring story, he's got that you know voice, I mean.
Speaker 1: The voice and the kind of delivery, Like, he's got a very interesting, off kilter delivery, which I think obviously makes so much sense sense for you know, Twin Pine, twin Peaks in the Pines whatever, toon Peaks, but also for all the he just brings that with him, you know, even though obviously very very different character, but it works so perfectly also, which is also I think for me, I just remember being so excited that we got him right and thinking like, well, wait, we can't we can't have him for just like three or five or whatever it was supposed to be, right, because he's him, and he's like so dreamy and so good and so nice. Yes, like it's just rare, you know, it's just pretty rare, I have to say. So obviously everyone agreed with me, and therefore we have two seasons pretty much. I mean, I can't remember exactly how many, but we have him definitely for for third season and for a season.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I look back at the Breath of Sex and the City, I always think, like with Charlotte, it's Harry and Trey, like those are the you know, of course, yeah, like such a major.
Speaker 1: There are unfortunately a lot of other guys in between them, but they don't even really deserve a mention. I mean, but you know that they that I do love about her. And this is what I love about television as a viewer. I love a long arc, yes, Like that's the joy of television in my mind. It's not what we grew up on though, you know, when we grew up it was like sitcoms and soap oppers. I guess soap operas is a long arc, but in a different way, right, But like that's the joy of you know, HBO, that they would let you just lean in to things that weren't clear, you know. Obviously. Also we have such a big episode with Carrie and Aiden and big again, Like it's so good when you watch it back, and you know most of the things that people say to me. I did just meet a lady in Starbucks. She was thirty one, so I don't know what I should call a girl, a woman, a woman, a woman in Starbucks and she told me she had just started watching.
Speaker 2: Wow, I know, the first time, just now, and.
Speaker 1: She said, yes, it's really it resonates. I'm like, good, yes, I said, I'm really jealous. It's really fun to watch it the first time. She's very sweet, and I almost told her to listen to the podcast, but I didn't. Anyway, maybe she'd find us.
Speaker 2: I find you just start watching an episode then see Charlotte.
Speaker 1: I know, I was talking to her dog. She had a really cute dots and I was talking to her dog for a little bit before she figured it out. It was pretty funny. But also it's just so rare. It's so rare and kind of wonderful that people would just now be finding it. But one of the things that I thought about when one of the things people tell me and I thought about when I was rewatching this episode. You know how they just if you're on Netflix or on HBO Max, it just goes into the next episode. It's very hard to turn it off. It is.
Speaker 2: I fell into that trap.
Speaker 1: Me and I should totally know what is going to happen, but A I don't remember, and B you don't really care if you know what's gonna happen, you just don't want to stop. You don't want to stop. And I think a lot of that, you know, and it's it's all of us, I know. But like Sarah Jessica is just so fucking good, Like yes, it is crazy to me, Like I know her, I love her. Obviously, every time she went an word, I was like the biggest clapper, you know, like I always want her to win and I think she deserves everything. But like even now, I look back and I'm like the subtlety, the torn element you know in Big, because this is the episode where Big calls her when Aiden goes out to get a coffee filter. What I had forgotten all of this right, Like it's such a trip. But also John with his little baby face. It's just I mean, oh my god. And Chris, because you know, in the beginning, we're so so tortured. I felt as an audience and people are gonna text me and be like, are you talking about the show like it's real, And I'm like, yes, okay, I'm sucked in you guys, all right, yeah, And now it's real to me, I'm now understanding because all the whole time that I wasn't rewatching people talk to me and I'd be like, you know, you know, it's you know, it's faked. People. Right now, I totally understand. It seems so real. It seems so real because it's so well done. Like our writers did such a great job in the writing, and I mean all of us too, but like you have to start with the writing in these type situations, I think, you know, like it's key. So anyway, She's just so good. And then when Chris, because we are I felt so tortured by him in the first season, like he's so withholding on and on and on. And then one of her things and this is the big theme of the episode that I need your male perspective on is timing, which I think is a really good question, really interesting question about people and relationships and what you're ready for and what you're not ready for, and how you can't really change that. Sometimes, you know, it's a hard thing to be like, well, this person that I'm with needs a baby, Like in the Stephen Miranda situation, Steve wants a baby, and she's like, well, you're insane, And I totally see her point, Like we were talking about this before we started recording, like it does totally change your life. And on the other hand, I feel really bad for Steve.
Speaker 2: I do, but I am. I had a hard time to see you in this episode.
Speaker 1: He does seeild, Yes, And.
Speaker 2: I see this from men a lot that want a baby and do not think anything beyond the like, oh, Gewis, it's gonna be great to play catch with my kid, won't it, And like they don't think about everything else that comes with it. Yeah, and you know who that falls on.
Speaker 1: I do, mom, I certainly do know. I certainly do know. I mean I'm a single parent, as you know, but I mean it is I watch all my girlfriends go through this too. I mean it's like, in some ways I have it better because I don't have anybody to be mad at you know what I'm saying, which is great, I mean not County Hannah's husband. Yeah, but you know, I feel for both of them. That The reason that I feel for Steve is because I feel like when you're in a relationship with a person, man or woman, if that other person is having that baby feeling, you know that it's like a calling, you know, in my mind, right, you really have to honor it as the other person. Now that might mean saying to them, I'm so sorry, but I'm just not there, right, male or female. Sometimes that happens. Like Miranda's definitely not there. Of course we know what's gonna happen, but let's just go with this episode. Right, she's not there. She's trying to be a partner at her job. She's very focused. She also feels like he's a child and she's not wrong, right, she is not wrong at all. But on the other hand, I feel like he's kind of he's so open, you know, he's so open, his heart is so open, and he puts up with her being kind of mean to him, you know, and then he's like, we just you know, we would be so great to have a baby, and like there's a part of me where I'm just like, oh, he's so pure, you know what I mean. But I can also see her point very much so, and of course we do know what does happen. But I have to say, because anyone who's seen the whole show, Steve is a great dat. Yes, yeah, he grows. He grows as a person, for sure, But when you see him watching that Scooby Doo, oh my goodness, I'm like, man, Miranda, hmm, you gotta. I mean, I get it. I mean the all me and mommy thing, and I mean we all do stuf refer to mean mommy. Like like I'll be like, like if we were working you know this this past past show and my kids were with us or whatever, I'd just be like, I was such a mean mommy. I was a mean mommy this morning. Like we're still it's like a lingo, you know what I mean, because we all get it. We've all been there. We've all been there. Okay, let's let's talk about Carrie's storyline. Yes, Okay, So they start it's her and baby Face Aiden, which I think is just what we should call it because it's like, I mean, it's like almost like a different person. It's super interesting, like really adorable, very adorable, so adorable, and like like when I'm jumping around, but when he has his dog, I also love that all these dogs are showing up now and I'm about to get my dog too. Like I don't know what came over our writers. They were just like, does everyone get dogs? But I love it? Of course. So Aiden's got his dog and Steve gets his dog. In this episode, Charlotte doesn't have her dog yet, but she's she's coming. But when he Carrie tells him that she has to go on the boat party, and he's out there by himself with the dog, and he's just like, oh shucks, Like he's adorable.
Speaker 2: That outfit he's wearing in that moment he looks just up at a studio fifty four. Yeah, he's got this like purple kind of shirt that's like unbuttoned a little bit. He's like cool glasses. It's very groovy and that see.
Speaker 1: I mean, John's pretty groovy. I would have to ask Mollie who put what on him? At that point. I do know, as I think I've said already, that John has a lot of say in his wardrobe. Yes, and John has a very unique, you know, sense of style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think his vibe it does.
Speaker 1: It definitely matches his vibe. He's a very unique person.
Speaker 2: And one other thing I want to point out about Aiden's room that I watching this. He has a Ouiji board at the foot of his bed that like out of He's using it as a counter for because there's like a bowl of cereal it. He has a Wigi board sitting down there. I'm like, what's Itiden doing in the middle of the night. Is we submoning spirits who just asually has a Wigi board sitting around there? Phone, I don't.
Speaker 1: Believe you notice that is so funny. I didn't even notice, but I'm sure John Corbett was like, yes, yes, leave the Ouiji board, the Oigi board stay. I mean, who in set deck came up with that would be my question for that. And I never ever noticed. But I did notice that we see Charlotte's door in hallway. So I'm getting more apartment. It's a good thing, you know. I've moved away from the two flats that were in my bedroom, even though previously we had that the time where Samantha sleeps with my dormant and we had a hallway with a bookcase in it. Yes, but that was a real apartment that wasn't a set, and we never see it again because I was like, wait, what is that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: Luckily it was white, right, so it wasn't like not true to Charlotte. But I was like, I've never seen that hallway. And then also when I am a man and I take the picture, I hang it in a hallway. Yes, but I was like, I don't know what that hallway is either, where's that hallway? But maybe they got they put my white flat in a hallway position. I don't know. But this was an actual I feel like a set of an apartment door. I don't think we were on location.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I figure that out when I'm watching this and like, okay, this was a set. What was real? I thought that for a second. I'm sorry, this is so naive of me. I thought. When I was watching the boat, I was like, are they actually because I know it wasn't a The green screens were good at that point.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, they were horrible. They were horrible. Okay, Oh, this is like the year two thousand, so we could never afford that it was like so expensive to us a green screen or should do anything in posts? Like when they would say like, oh we have to do it in post, that meant everyone was having a breakdown. You know what I'm saying. It like the digital of it all had not happened, had not made it to the screen, really, you know.
Speaker 2: And I also thought for a second that the boat was maybe just docked.
Speaker 1: We're out there, we're out there, and that wind is blowing. You can see my hair.
Speaker 2: That was my next question is how much adr did you have to do for that?
Speaker 1: Oh? I might have had to do the whole thing. I mean we are always body micd Now you might ask where would we put those body mics because it is a big challenge, Okay, big challenge. And I'm wearing that little cheffon Doul chain to Gobana dress. I can tell you for sure that mic is in a place that we cannot discuss. That mic is hidden in a place that's super uncomfortable, and that involves being in a dressing room to do which is not normal for sets. Like the sound guys want to come up and put the mic on you on set. That's what they like. But we just teach our guys, like, just put the mic and the mic pack in my dressing room. I know how to turn it on. Let us handle it because it's going to be in some clothing in a way that you can't can't get to, you know what I mean. That's that's just how it was. I mean, And back then the mike packs were like decently large, so it was uncomfortable. They're much smaller now, thank god, thank god it's a whole drama. But they never would trust like a boom. I mean, we would have a boom there because you're always trying to get double. And then we did do a fair amount of ADR. But when I watched the scene with Kyle, I didn't feel like I didn't feel like it was ADR. But maybe that's just how good we are. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yea, the perform felt like it was in the moment, but it sounded really good. So I was like, they're on that. I know they're on a windy boat.
Speaker 1: I know I would because you can see my hair is going crazy. Because I was gonna say, I wonder if they put up a wind screen, because sometimes they'll put up like just off camera, like a windscreen that someone's holding like, oh, you know, but my hair is obviously very much wind blown, and Kyle's is like slightly wind blown, but not as much as mine because I'm on the edge, you know, the railing of the boat. I don't Yeah, I don't know. I need to watch it now again to tell you. Easton. I'm not sure, but I think it's the body mic. I mean, if we looped it, we did. We did really well, yeah, let's put it that way. But I mean I do feel like there was looping for every episode. I'd say at that point, like like we would go in and we knew our guys and we you know, it was like part of it, you know what I'm saying, It's.
Speaker 2: Part of the process.
Speaker 1: Totally, totally. Okay. So Carrie, we start in bed with the baby faced Aiden and they're like they're never leaving, They've got food. She says, when do you think they're going to send someone to get us? And he's like maybe when spring thaw comes or something. Adorable. It's very adorable, so it's obviously going very very well. Then she goes she goes out this crazy outfit with these lavender tights up to her her waist, which I feel like someone just dresses Halloween And did you see that, Hannah? Oh, it was on our social I think that someone wore it for Halloween. That particular outfit. It's like shorts or a skirt. It's a skirt over some purple tights with high high heels and some kind of a mid drift bearing situation. I don't know. It's adorable. It's not one that I remember, but I do need to ask Molly about it because it's really funny and good. It's like a six year old my dress.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I love the wide shot of her like exasperated, was stomping away from the dry clear.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. And the funny thing I think when I watch those moments, Sarah is so physical. Her comedic timing and her physicality is so good, and over time I feel like I feel I don't know if I should say this, but I feel like she didn't want to do that as much or whatever, but back in the day she was so free with it, you know. And it's really good because that shot across the street. There's a lot of what I love about Allison's direction this particular episode especially, there's a lot of two shots and a lot of masters, as we would call them, that they just keep in the master for a decent amount of time. Like there's a whole scene with Carrie and Big when they first bump into each other in the boat. I think they're in the master for a while because this guy kind of jostles them and they fall into each other. But then we cut into her face and you could just see her looking at him with such powerful eyes, you know, and then they when we go back and we see them again on the boat, there's a master for kind of a bit of time, just to see their body language. It's so good, And I remember really wanting to do that a lot more. And then someone somewhere, possibly HBO people, wanted to cut into two close ups. But I remember Sir Jessica used to always say, you know, we need the distant shots so that you can see the whole outfit and the shoes and really get a feeling of the city.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes, And to me as a viewer, those shots feel I feel like I'm there at the party. I feel like I'm part of this, you know, as watching TV shows, right, like if you were there.
Speaker 1: The party and you just looked over like you're a person. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true. That does feel like that. I totally felt that way too, and I was there, but I still totally felt that way. So we're with Aiden, we're with Aid and Carry, and they're in bed and they're not going to get out and they have to send people. Then she's going to go to this party for a magazine called Gab, which obviously made up right like what on Earth? And then she dropped some very funny names when they're on that boat. But she's going to go to the magazine party, and then Aiden basically says like I don't want to go, which is adorable and odd a little bit, but obviously we need to see big so it's fine. Then she tries to get her clothes from the dry cleaner in the funny outfit. She tries twice and they're like no, which I also feel. The drag cleaner's in New York City, for some reason, are never open and it makes no sense, like everything is supposed to be open, just like we say on the show. I've had this experience myself. You walk by in the middle of the day, the drag cleaner's closed, like why, why? It's odd? Anyway, I feel what carry's going through. So then we're at the boat and for some reason Natasha is not there, which he never explains, and she never really presses, which is also interesting. But she also kind of get the feeling that he came to see her where she feels, but then she doesn't know because she's all like trying to be appropriate and whatnot, you know, slightly aloof and she walks away from him, which I thought was so great, right, And he's very you know, charming basically in his way, and he asked her if they're seeing someone, and she says yes and that he's perfect, and I'm like, so then this part I didn't remember this at all. And it's so funny to think about voicemail machines that we all used to have. But when you go to play the voicemail machine, everyone in the room can hear it, Like how mortifying? How do we live through this?
Speaker 2: It's funny I think about, like when you play it back when we can hear And also if you're at home with friends and someone calls her like, oh, let the machine get it, they're going to hear it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. I mean I can't believe more problems didn't happen like you know, it's like, wow, it's a lot. So Carrie, Carrie comes home with Aiden, and Aiden says something vague about like I'm going to set the timer, and I was like timer, does he have a child who has iPad? Time? Like That's what went through my head. I was like, where did they didn't go? But the other funny thing is that her apartment's really tiny, so he just walks to the little kitchenette area. He could totally have heard Big yes, but he acts like he doesn't. And he says, you know, they do. They also cut to him from her angle right that looks like he's far away. He's so not far away, which I think we all know right, like now that we know her apartment like the back of her hand. But she's right there by the door playing and BIG's like loud like I carry him downstairs or whatever. I'm on your corner. He says something like in a panic. He sounds like panic for him, right, and she's like ah and she stops it. So then Aiden says, you're out of coffee filters, and I think he says, does he say he's going to the Korean to get it? He says something weird.
Speaker 2: That is what he said. Jumped out at me. As not having been a New Yorker in the two thousands, I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Assume Bodega, yes, Bodega, Aiden, do you not know? And I guess the truth is he might not. He's Aiden, he's from Virginia where he's from, right, like you know Woods totally. I was like, that's so funny that you're going to Korean but okay, So he's going to the Korean to get it, to get a coffee filter and then he there, he leaves and then there's not knocking. She opens the door. She thinks it's Aidan, but it's Big. Oh my god. Panic. I felt panic. And then she says, what are you doing here? And he says, didn't you get my message? And she goes, what wait? I paused it? And then he says, was that the guy the perfect boyfriend? And she was like yes, and he's coming back. And I felt very stressed, very stressed, even though I couldn't really remember what happened. I was like, I don't think Aiden comes back and finds him, but I mean he totally could. What the heck? Right? And then Big is all like I'm so fucked up. I was like, oh, that is lame, man, what did you think?
Speaker 2: I had the exact same reaction. I was like, you know, I remember acting like this when I was like seventeen. Yeah, yeah, like doing some big dramatic the drama.
Speaker 1: Drama. Yeah, the drama is a lot.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine hearing that. That's like how old is big supposed to be? Like it is like forties. Yeah. I was like, come on, man, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I mean, for sure that's who he is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess that's it is who he is.
Speaker 1: But it did I did think about the drama, and I did think about like, huh, like I don't really remember this, but it works, right because I think the reason that it works, or that it seems like it could happen, is that he is so withholding and covered that then like he's not fluid, you know, he doesn't know how to communicate really, and she seems to understand that somehow, you know, which is kind of sweet, but then also really not.
Speaker 2: Does he leave the message? The message is before the party on the boat, okay, because I'm wondering, like how much of his overflow of emotion and passion for Carrie is from seeing her and learning that she has someone new in the idea that even though he's with Natasha, she is now even more entertainable.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, Easton, you're right on. I didn't even think about all those things. I mean, for me, what I thought, because I'm a woman, I was like, Oh, he's just been pining. He's just been pining and trying to figure out how to see her. So he gets he goes to this party thinking he's going to see her. It doesn't bring his wife because he's pining. Right, I didn't even think about the whole unobtainable But that's so true.
Speaker 2: I mean, I agree that he did probably go without Natasha to see her, but then then the extra layer of like maybe the reality of seeing her coupled with she has a boyfriend that she thinks is perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that can hurt. That can hurt good time for sure. And I think he definitely seems to be And I don't know if this is true for all men. I know there are some people who think this is true for all men. But you know, he's seen to be the type of man who needs a bit of a chase situation.
Speaker 2: Yes, he does.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but that's what I think about that. But I mean, do you think that's all men.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's all men, but I think it's a large majority. And I don't know if this is the right. Like I've seen this. I don't personally believe this, but I have seen this out there the whole like men are hunters. They want to you know, like I think that's kind of it's dumb, but like part of me is like, h God, is there any is there truth to that?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if there's truth to it either. I wonder about that. I mean, they're very well might be truth. I mean it's also like you remember when Charlotte dates are a handyman. Yeah, because there's something adorable about a guy fixing things in your apartment. Like that's such a very old school kind of thing. But I mean I relate to it.
Speaker 2: It's true. I can't. I'll fix the WiFi. My wife doesn't. She does not react at.
Speaker 1: All but positive.
Speaker 2: She's excited, she's happy, but she's not like but if I man, I I've changed a light fixture the first time. That was another level. You know, when it's like something.
Speaker 1: You know, I know that's adorable. It's nice. It's definitely nice. I had a boyfriend once who was frustrated with the door in my old New York apartment because it was like off or so I don't know something, and he took it off the hinges and he standed it and I took a lot of pictures wow, because it was so cute. Yeah, so I totally know what you're saying. I totally know what you're saying. And what is that? Like, where does that come from?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, like is that socialization or is that like innately in our brain, I wants.
Speaker 2: To take care of me and make sure make me feel safe.
Speaker 1: I don't really want that, right, So it's interesting because technically, intellectually I don't actually want that, but then yet my brain still responds, know what I mean exactly. It's wacky. It's wacky. So with big, I think you're absolutely right. All the different things play in for sure, And I also feel like the drama plays in of like I'm on the corner, Like that's not that's like I don't like that, Like I would want someone to call me and be like I'm on your corner. Yeah, you know what I mean. But obviously they're not us, right, But it's very high drama, Like he's making it high drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's doing this like street.
Speaker 1: Car name definitely so streetcar, so streetcar. And then he waits till he leaves, and I mean it's a lot of drama. But this is back to Sara Jessca. I mean, I think everybody's very good in this, but like, yes, the way that she doesn't overplay somehow, like she's one hundred percent grounded and there and her eyes are saying so much, but she's also just very she just trusts the material and the writing and the situation a wait, and she doesn't overdo it in any way because if she had, it would be bad. Yes, you know, like it makes me really appreciate her, the intelligent way that she looks at material.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's a it's a masterclass. I really watching it, really really is.
Speaker 1: And she's so funny in the early and so charming, and then she's so real and like so panicked, and you know she does have the amazing Aiden at this point, especially super amazing Aiden, right, like really none of his things have shown up yet.
Speaker 2: No, I'm a very public and longtime Aiden. I know, I know which I've talked to your ear off about watching this episode, and you know, trin this episode on and I go, this is an eight episode, and here we go, get let's fire up some hating and then no, he's he has not committed any since to at.
Speaker 1: This point, that really doesn't I don't think it's until the wall. Yes, I think the wall is when we get the first taste of like the oddities of Aiden or whatever. But he means, well, I mean I haven't gotten to rewatch that yet. I only have the veguess of memory. But it's kind of like what we're saying that the positives of him just kind of gone too far.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, exactly right. I think in a different excep thinking about this, I'm like, normally I would be on him for not going with her to the party. I know, like, it wasn't that it wasn't that big of a deal to her, so that he didn't come. She didn't, She wasn't mad.
Speaker 1: She was it's not her part. I mean, she's her party.
Speaker 2: She's just gonna go. She's not super excited about the GAB party. But I think there's another version where I'm like, he should have gone with her that party and then this big thing wouldn't have happened. I didn't. I did not react that way. But I could see that, and I was trying to think, like, why didn't I react that way? Because Aiden is fine at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing I think about it that I liked about it because also I was like, well, why didn't he go? I think it's because I think it's because they're very different. And part of what we like about him is that he's different from her, right, because Big is similar to her. I mean, he's a much more big deal than her, meaning the way the characters are at that point in their lives. Right. But like, you know, he goes to those parties because he's in the business, which she makes a little side joke. And I don't know if people realize who he's based on that he was, you know, a publisher person. But you know, the idea of Big is that he was like a very successful person in her same social circles, right, and then Aiden is totally out of her social circles, a furniture maker from some country place that we don't know. Maybe they said it somewhere I have to look back. But you know, he's different, and I think that's what's kind of nice, right, And I think that's why Aiden doesn't want to go. And he's not saying I need to be with you all the time, which is actually nice from Aiden.
Speaker 2: Right, allowing her to have this separate part of her life. Right, And he's not jealous, Yeah, exactly, very secure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not like who are you going to meet? Which is good, which is very good, very good. So yeah, Aiden's super interesting at this point to me. So then Big comes, he's up mess self and she's very sweet to him, and she basically says at the very end that oh he leaves after he says himself up. And then Carrie listens to the message that he left on the machine and he says he misses her and he can't stop thinking about her. And she says, this is exactly what I wanted to hear a year ago. Oh man, I felt that. I mean, like, this is the timing situation, and this is what I think if I could say, I have like a list of things that I would like to say to younger women, and this is one of them. And I have at some point said this to different younger women. I know, but here's the chance to say it to more. I think that one of the biggest things that I didn't understand was the timing of like where people are in life and how that is going to relate to a relationship. I felt like, if the feeling is strong enough, that is going to dictate what someone is ready for. But I do not think that's true. Now very Charlotte, I mean so Charlotte, so Charlotte. But also I think Charlotte thinks that she's only going to meet people that she's going to know and meet people who want what she wants, yes, right, and she makes a lot of efforts for that to happen, like her wacky episode where she's like, I'm going to call the married guys of my friends or whatever. She's just like, huh what what friends like what? But I guess Charlotte has other friends and then that doesn't go that well. But that's how she meets Trey. But you know, like she has her her different methodologies that she's going to try to use to get that. But I think she just assumes in an interesting way that you know, these other guys want to you know, settle down and get married and have you know, two point five kids and live in a big apartment or whatever she wants. You know what I'm saying, isn't that what she wants?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I do think that's naive, right, But I also think at the time, and I see this in the writing of the show in a way that I wasn't aware of, but I really notice it now from twenty twenty five perspective. The background of the show, even with Miranda, who I never thought of as being like this, And I've actually said to Cynthia, like, did you remember that Miranda used to talk about trying to get married? She's like what, I'm like, there's multiple episodes where you just got not Like. What I remember Miranda is that she's super independent and she wants to be a partner, and she's you know, strong in all those things, and that she is worried about dying alone. Yes, And I feel like that makes perfect emotional sense. There's that one where her interior designer gets married to the guy and she's like, that should have been me, and now no one's going to be with me. No, no, no, And I'm like, who's that person? But I think The background of the conversation in the year two thousand and nineteen ninety nine was that all women want to get married. That was the background, right, So that's where we're coming from. So then like, that's why Samantha is like an outlier, like a total complete outlier. Whereas now in twenty twenty five, the statistics of the unmarried women are different. They were changing already, right, And that's why they put us on the cover of the Time magazine and wrote who needs a husband? Which is one of my most favorite things ever, as I think I say more than once. But now the statistics match it, right, And especially like women over forty, there's so many who've gotten divorced, and they're just like, I don't have time for that. I have my own income, I can travel, I can do what I want, and I love it. I love it so much. But that was just starting in the year two thousand. You know, it wasn't like the background noise. The background noise was all women want to get married. Yes, it's interesting, Yes, okay, everybody, thanks for hanging with me in Easton. We have so much to talk about that we are going to come back later in the week. Please join US Easton and i On. Are you a
Speaker 2: Charlotte, We'll see you there, yeah,