Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: December third, twenty thirteen, Comedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York.
Speaker 1: This is the Daily Show with John Stewarts.
Speaker 3: Well Dall, Sir, thank.
Speaker 1: You for joining us tonight.
Speaker 4: My name is down George, Tonight's guest from the film Dallas Buyers Club. This is a good movie. You gotta check this movie out. Jared Leto's gonna be her unbelievable job in the movie.
Speaker 3: I'd listen listen to this.
Speaker 4: We are currently in what I feel like is the most wonderful time of the year. Why not festive trees go up, carollers breakout in song, Starbucks switches out it's Vada pumpkin spice additive for it's vad of peppermint additive.
Speaker 3: It's the same additive man bag a stripe.
Speaker 4: It's truly a time to appreciate what we have, especially when in any moment.
Speaker 5: We could lose it all.
Speaker 6: The minority is becoming the majority at the community pool.
Speaker 4: How Sharia law is changing everything?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Sharia law is changing everything.
Speaker 4: That probably not for the better, because while I'm not really clear what cheria law is, I do know it's.
Speaker 1: Relatively muslimy.
Speaker 4: And if Fox is talking about it, it's the kind of Muslim mee that's going to destroy this very nation.
Speaker 1: How is it changing everything.
Speaker 7: A YMCA in Minneapolis St. Paul, Well, it's starting a swim group from Muslim girls, but special considerations have to be made to keep with their religious beliefs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'll get that as everything.
Speaker 1: Guy's changed?
Speaker 4: Wait, what's changed?
Speaker 7: During the one hour class? The pool is being shut down, the men's locker room is being locked, and female lifeguards are being brought in.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, everything I's changed.
Speaker 1: Dogs now walk babies, Dancing makes you.
Speaker 4: Sad, Tears come out of your ears and snock comes out of your butt, which is not how it.
Speaker 3: Is now, I can tell you that.
Speaker 4: Well. And actually though it seems like the only thing that has changed because of SRIA law is one ymc apool's schedule whiteboard. That seems like the only thing that But I can see how that can be traumatic. Firs. They came for hour Tuesday synchronized aquedance and I did not speak out because I prefer water exercise with a pool noodle. What is it like to live in that world of pure fear and despair, where every inconsequential change in what was becomes a harbinger of a dystopian post America apocalypse where only Muslims can swim, and the sidewalk game where decent, law abiding white folk are randomly knocked out, has replaced baseball as our national pastime, and the sense of persecution is always at its worst right around this time of year.
Speaker 8: A new battle in the War on Christmas, the war on Christmas, the war on Christmas, the school district that's now saying faith based tunes have no place in their elementary school.
Speaker 9: The majority of Americans celebrate Christmas, so everybody should have the right to enjoy the season without the interference of a few bahumbug bollys.
Speaker 4: How can I enjoy my Christmas when I know that somewhere a little Jewish boy isn't being forced to sing a little town of Bethlehem.
Speaker 3: Where's the joy there?
Speaker 4: Who will save Christmas?
Speaker 2: Sarah Palin? She has a new book out about the meaning of Christmas.
Speaker 1: I was hoping for Blitzen, but uh, she'll do carry on.
Speaker 10: Can you understand why somebody who is not a self identified Christian would feel uncomfortable with demonstration of something from the Bible, from the New Testament coming from the government, because to them that might feel like their government is picking a religion and it's not there.
Speaker 6: Well, there are things that we can do about that too, I guess lessen that offense. We can do that in our personal lives. For instance, in my family, we have the manora out on it through December on our kitchen table. I want to teach my children about the Jewish faith.
Speaker 4: Quick word to the paling kids. Well, I appreciate the gesture. Jews don't actually just leave a manora out for the month of December like a like a knickknack and a curio case goes in the window and you only put it there for eight days. And also, paling kids, this is not a menora.
Speaker 3: Now, there's got to be someone.
Speaker 4: Who can defend Christmas with a little more authority.
Speaker 9: Over the years, we've taken on the role of acting the federal holiday of Christmas.
Speaker 1: Even though it is not in any way threatened. But I'll bite.
Speaker 4: Since we do this dance every year, tell me why this year it is especially egregious to use the phrase happy holidays.
Speaker 9: What is interesting this year is that Hanukkah will be over on Thursday, so there are no more holidays between then and Christmas Day.
Speaker 3: Damn you, O'Reilly, We've been checkmated.
Speaker 1: Without Honukkah.
Speaker 4: We have no excuse to say happy holidays plural, because apparently you can include anything past Christmas, like Quand's Epiphany and New Year's although by that logic it means that up until Hanakah you can only say happy Hankah. But do the cares about that? But I'm sorry I interrupted your flow, mister O'Reilly. What other secular humanists are peeing on your u law this year?
Speaker 9: Macy's a company that I generally.
Speaker 1: Like, Macy's.
Speaker 4: Macy's isn't Christmasy enough for You's?
Speaker 3: Mis Macy's the one emblazoned with a bejeweled Believe sign.
Speaker 4: That should be seen from space, the one that looks as though someone ejaculated tinsel all over.
Speaker 3: That Macy's, what have they done this year?
Speaker 9: They're chatting Santa Claus, who will help you quote with your holiday wish list? So here's my question to Macy's. What holiday is Santa celebrating?
Speaker 4: Nah, that is a good question. Santa or Center Claus is celebrating the Feast of Saint Nicholas, which originated in the Netherlands in the Middle Ages and occurs every December sixth. But you might not have heard about that because, like every other December holiday, it was long ago sucked into the insatiable black hole that is Christmas. And by the way, you're upset with the department store because in their effort to get you to buy a Swarowski crystal Hello Kitty Snowman figurine, they're not invoking Christ's name enough. I thought Christians used to complain that their holiday was getting commercialized. Are those days gone?
Speaker 6: I love the commercialization of Christmas because it spreads the Christmas cheer. It's the most jolly holiday obviously on our calendar.
Speaker 4: Obviously, so commercialization is what's spreading Christmas cheer.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've been so confused about the message of that holiday for so long.
Speaker 4: I thought it was about opening one's homes to friends and family, not opening one's present and then returning it for store credit. Look, if the true spirit of Christmas is best spread and expressed through commercialism materialism, than anyone who denounces those things is by the transit of property, waging war on Christmas Sarah Palin Bill, O'Reilly meet your newest nemesis.
Speaker 11: Today, Pope Francis denounced trickle down economics as unfair to the poor.
Speaker 4: He takes a shot at commercialism, calling for Catholics everywhere to resist excessive capitalism and materialism. When will the Pope stop his war on Christmas? Well, I hope his message is heard and someday Macy's will truly honor the spirit of Christmas.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Well the marg.
Speaker 4: Now, Like most people these days, I have one source for news that I turned to more than any other tweetar because I likes my news like I likes my ladies, short and punchy and delivered secondhand by anonymous sociopaths. That doesn't really speak very highly of me. It does it without Twitter. How else, what I learned about revolutions in Iran or non existent fights with angry ladies on airplanes. And this weekend Twitter came through again.
Speaker 1: The Republican National Committee had tweeted a photo of Rosa Parks.
Speaker 12: The caption on that said, today we remember Rosa Parks's bold stand and a role in ending racism.
Speaker 5: It's over.
Speaker 1: It's official stick forking racism.
Speaker 3: It's done.
Speaker 4: Thanks to Rosa Parks, racism completely ended. That's why all history books on racism post ninety fifty five.
Speaker 1: Are completely empty. You may ask why did they make it so big?
Speaker 4: Then shut up? Now you may say to yourself, Well, you may say to yourself, what qualifies the RNC to make the call about racism being over? Well? Who would know better whether racism had ended than a group of old white men. And they're now saying racism is done. I mean, once something's been tweeted, you can't take you back, right, Darren.
Speaker 12: See later tweak their tweet after many expressed anger and dismay at the commenting.
Speaker 4: Me, you officially announced an end of racism. Three hours later, you start racism again. You know what that makes you? Indian givers? No, No, I know that's racist because racism is back now, That's why I said it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, I'm allowed to. Yeah, racism is back.
Speaker 4: If it was, if it was over, Archie Bunker died in right view. What did the rnc's correction say exactly?
Speaker 12: The new tweet read previous tweet should have read. Today, we remember Rosa Park's bull stand and her role in fighting to end racism.
Speaker 4: Okay, I suppose that is a little more accurate, although they did later have to issue a third tweet clarifying also, instead of Rosa Parks bold stand, we probably should have gone with refusal to stand, which is.
Speaker 5: What she did.
Speaker 4: And again we today remember hashtag ood twitch as you know, was quickly followed by and I remember, we don't mean we ever forgot her, but there's a long time ago. And wow, am I still not out of characters yet? Hashtag twitter is hard? Hashtag still not out of characters? Hashtag O fuc And then the final tweet and can we just say how good was the Butler? I mean, the movie, not black people, as Butler's not to say they're bad at it? Oh no, here we go again?
Speaker 3: Hashtag go Latinos?
Speaker 1: Hashtag why do I keep hitting send?
Speaker 4: Hashtag We'll be right back. Welcome back my guest tonight actor the lead vocalist of thirty Seconds to Marris. This new film is called Dallas Buyers Club. Please welcome to Jared little.
Speaker 1: Token in boyak it in. Enjoy the feeling.
Speaker 5: Why did you? Why did you sit down?
Speaker 4: I feel like you're s older brother right now, trying to convince you to go back to school. All right, sick my friend. Yes, what a performance you've given and a beautiful film and well done.
Speaker 1: The Dallas box Shop have you it's it's out.
Speaker 4: They can see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can see it. You you can walk through.
Speaker 4: You must go see it the performances. You won an award just today? I did the New York Circle Critic Circle.
Speaker 5: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: Is that a ceremony?
Speaker 4: Do they call you?
Speaker 5: Just a couple of hours? I didn't even know about it? But uh uh well I know now. She didn't just tell me.
Speaker 4: I'm a huge man.
Speaker 3: Breaking news.
Speaker 5: You're an award winning actor.
Speaker 11: Yes, finally, but yeah, I did this New York Film Critics Circle award, and it's it's quite an honor.
Speaker 5: It's really humbling.
Speaker 11: I hadn't made a film in almost six years, so to come back and get this kind of love and support is his nuts.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: You hadn't made Was there something in particular about this story that you thought, well, I just I need to get back in the game, or had you decided prior to that.
Speaker 5: Well, I thought I'd look pretty good on a skirt.
Speaker 4: I think most people here would agree. I think you pretty much look good. I don't think it matters.
Speaker 3: Skirt, bad top, half beard, It don't really, you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's a it's a it's a nice thing for it. The thing that surprised me about this, so most people, you know, they do a role, they have to maybe lose a little weight or change. But you had to do all these things. Yeah, but you had to do them in three weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now that seems like not a tremendous amount of preparation time.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 11: And I lost about thirty forty pounds. So the first thing I did, as I'm sorry, I lost about the thirty forty pounds in three weeks. No through the course, but the majority I did lose in the first few weeks.
Speaker 5: And so basically I just stopped eating.
Speaker 1: And so that's your plan, huh, Jared Leto's diet plan.
Speaker 4: Don't eat.
Speaker 5: The less you eat, the better of an actor you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And then when I did start eating, I basically kept it to about three or four hundred calories a day.
Speaker 3: You should laugh cheese doodle, my god man.
Speaker 4: As you're working, because the days are long, you're in all this character. It's a very intense emotional movie, playing all these scenes. Do you feel like you're going to pass out at some point? Like, how is the don't you need the energy?
Speaker 11: That's a good question, and that's kind of the point you lose the weight, you stop eating because not just because of the way it looks, which is great, it's a benefit, but because.
Speaker 5: It they just laughed, right, I'm on to you.
Speaker 11: But it changes the way you talk, the way you walk, the way people treat you.
Speaker 5: It changes your energy. So you do it for the way it affects you.
Speaker 4: And and did that then? Did you find people believed you to be more fragile?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: And that provided I mean, that's very a great way to put it. Yeah, it provided a lot of fragility.
Speaker 4: Right, and that when you were done with that process? Yeah, how do you come back?
Speaker 5: How long is therapy?
Speaker 1: It stays with you?
Speaker 11: That but it does you know in this film particularly you know I play a well you guys just saw the clips, so I don't have to say. But it was a really unique situation. And so again there was a voice, there's a walk, a talk, a whole thing. And it takes a little while to lose the muscle memory. I stayed in character the whole time.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I was very night like, like not when you're not on set, you know, you can't really let go of that.
Speaker 11: You're you're constantly in that place. At least I was, and uh, you know I needed to be there in order to do what I had to do.
Speaker 5: Did you not?
Speaker 4: You know? The hardest thing I think for me, other than obviously being a good actor, would be, uh, would be when when not working, not doing food stuff because so much of my downtime is food based, is based on like, oh, I'm going to ship sports centers on and that looks like a pizza. I think. I think I'm going to go have myself a pizza and sports center.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: You get a pretty empty life very quickly, yes, which is good for the film because all you really have left is your work.
Speaker 4: Yes. And did you give up during that time?
Speaker 5: No music, no nothing, you know.
Speaker 11: I was very focused on the film and unfortunately we shot it in twenty five days.
Speaker 5: Wow, it was very quick. And and that that was was great and the band is coming back.
Speaker 4: You have there's a documentary out today, yeah about your battle with your record label. Yeah, m I yes, yeah, yeah, in which they suit us for thirty million dollars after we found out that we had sold millions of albums and not only were we not going to be paid a single penny, but that we were millions of dollars in debt. We started to look into it contested or contract, and then they promptly suit us for thirty million bucks.
Speaker 5: We fought them for a few years and filmed it all.
Speaker 4: The upshot of it, though, is when they informed you that you had sold millions of records and you owed them millions of dollars, did you have to come to them and say, oh, but we sold millions of records and like, oh you found out about that? Like is that?
Speaker 1: How do they how do they deal with that?
Speaker 11: You know, that's the question really, And that's what we talk about in artifact and talk about this crazy business and that that really on a holy relationship between art and commerce.
Speaker 4: And that's I'm telling you record companies that were going away this whole the whole new distribution model, they're going to be a thing of the past. That's why they want thirty million because they realized, like in a couple of years, I.
Speaker 5: Didn't get it. Fortunately we didn't. You know.
Speaker 11: We ended up making an album called This Is War that did really really well, went on to some millions of albums, and the guy who was at the helm of the company who suit us lost control of the company and lost almost a billion dollars or maybe a little more in the process.
Speaker 5: So I just gave away these.
Speaker 1: Is that how the movie ends.
Speaker 4: Yes, wonderful Dallas Buyer's Club. It's in the theaters now. Thirty seconds to marts. Documentary from Artifact on iTunes as well, Jared Letto.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Plucks.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast