Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the short stuff Josh, Chuck, Jerry, Infra, Dave and we are quick on the draw. You're on short stuff, pew.
Speaker 2: That's not lasers, though you can.
Speaker 1: Draw a lasers consola.
Speaker 2: Okay, good point. But not in the Old West unless it's Westworld, I guess, because we're talking about the Old West, and we're talking about a lesser known Old West gun slinger by the name of Johnny Ringo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not Johnny Angel. Johnny Ringo, although you can substitute his name for that for Johnny Angel in the song if you sing it in your head.
Speaker 2: I bet you could.
Speaker 1: He is. He was at the time very well known. He was an outlaw. He was one of those cowboys he was. He was a highed gun. He was a mercenary, which I guess is a higher gun. He also ran gangs that were known to murder and that kind of stuff. But he wasn't like a bank robber. He wasn't a train robber even. He just seems to have been a guy who just kind of made his way from town to town, ended up in kind of famous situations, and did nefarious things here there, just enough to make a name for himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was born in May eighteen fifty in what is now Greens Fork, Indiana, shout out to greens Forks and eventually got tangled up. Like you said, he sort of found himself getting tangled up with various more famous people that included early on the younger Brothers who were led by Jesse James and Frank James, the bank robbing group. But he was had a pretty awful incident happened to him that when he was a teenager that seemed like it really kind of shaped the rest of his life, and how could it not.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, his parents and his brothers and sister were all on the trail to move from Missouri to California, and part way through Martin Ringo was I'm not sure what he was doing with his rifle or shotgun. I saw both, but it went off when it happened to be pointing up at his head from his chin, and he died instantly, obviously in a very gruesome way, right in front of Johnny. And you can basically explain the rest of Johnny Ringo's life from that incident, because it doesn't matter was eighteen fifty, ten fifty, twenty fifty If his son sees his dad die in that manner that's going to shape your life pretty much single handedly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, he was obviously traumatized. They had to, you know, they were moving, like you said, to California, so they just had to kind of keep going. They buried him along the road, kept that wagon train going. And by that age he was he was a pretty good shot himself. He was pretty good with a quick draw, good with a rifle. They landed in San Jose, his mom and his brothers and sisters, and he was there till about eighteen seventy when he moved to Mason County, Texas, where he kind of fell in with a bad gang of cattle rustlers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it almost seems like so he was twenty then. It seems like he just basically moved to Texas to look for trouble and he found it very quickly. There was a Texas ranger, well a former Texas ranger turned outlaw named Scott Cooley, and they just kind of hit it off pretty quickly. They became friends. And this is where Johnny Ringo really kind of started to become known as a like an outlaw gun slinger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, because Mason County. You know, if you've ever seen like the Three Amigos, you know had Germans in it, and you kind of don't really think about the Old West having like, you know, British people and German people, but they did. In fact, Mason County was mainly colonized by German and British descended cattle people, and the tensions between them were pretty rough. Between those groups, they were often accusing one of her stealing their stock and taking their cows and rustling horses. And then in eighteen seventy five it really sort of launched when a couple of the Brits, including a guy named Tim Williamson, were pulled out of jail by these Germans and killed in retaliation for a cattle theft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were being transported by a deputy sheriff named John Worley, and these Germans assumed Germans who killed Tim Williamson and took some other guys and hung them and shot them. Scott Cooley, who was friends with Tim Williamson and some of the other guys, he assumed that John Worley had allowed this to happen, that he was basically in on it. So this kicked off what became known as the Mason County War or the Hoodoo War. And the first victim in this war, after Williamson, was John Worley, who was killed by Scott Cooley, who not only killed them but scalped him on August tenth, eighteen seventy five.
Speaker 2: That feels like maybe a time for a break, I think, so, all right, we'll be right back with Moron Johnny Ringo right after this.
Speaker 3: Stopped.
Speaker 2: All right, so when we left you, the Hoodoo War had kicked off, John Morley had been killed and scalped. This is eighteen seventy five, and Ringo was a part of this war. And you know, it seems like he was sort of just a sideman, supporting his buddy Coolie and whatever he wanted. He was friends with the guys in his gang. He was part of the gang essentially. And when a guy named Moses Baird, he was a part of the gang, was killed in that Hoodo War. About a month later, in September of that year, Ringo went on the attack big time. Shot two of the guys that he suspected was involved in the murder, a guy named Dave dool and another guy named James Cheney went to their houses and shot him, and he actually went to jail for this one, but because it was the Old West, he escaped not too long after, right.
Speaker 1: So, I mean like he's really starting to build on his legend as a black hat outlaw. Right. He spends the next few years moving around looking for new cattle wars, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas. He was known to do things like he pistol whipped and then shot a man who he offered a drink to and the guy refused. He murdered another man that he saw harassing a woman, robbed a poker game that he had just left because the players wouldn't loan him any money so he could stay in and keep playing. But his his I guess the if anybody has heard of Johnny Go it's because of he crossed paths. It's his association with the guys from the Ok Corral in Tombstone, Arizona. Doc Holiday and Wyatt are in Virgil or you can't forget Virgil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you've seen the movie Tombstone, you were probably yelling, like, guys, we've heard of Ringo. He was in the movie.
Speaker 1: It was Michael Bean, right, Yeah, John Connor's dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So Ringo didn't like these guys. He didn't like Holiday and IRP either, IRP. And eventually they did like a real Old West sort of high noon showdown in the middle of the town streets and it was pistols were going to be drawn, for sure, but a local constable came in intervened and nothing happened at that point. But that was about a year before Johnny Ringo would be found dead against a tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have never understood what that I'm your huckleberry meant, So I looked it up. Do you know what it means?
Speaker 2: I've never seen too, believe it or not all the way through.
Speaker 1: I haven't either. I just know that that Val Kilmer says that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, that's a hole for me, for sure.
Speaker 1: He says I'm your huckleberry. And what I guess that was the old timey way at the time was saying like, I'm the man for the job. I can do this, And I guess he was saying, I'm the man who can kill you essentially or take you down, or at least gunfight you. Okay, So at any rate, he didn't fight at Doc Holliday in Wyatt or he wasn't there at the famous gunfight at the Ok Carral. Apparently he was out of town that day, and I'm sure he was quite upset when he came back to town and found out what had happened, because he definitely would have been on the side of the other guys. And like you said, all that happened about a year before. He was found dead just outside a tombstone, up against a tree on July fourteenth, eighteen eighty two. He had a single gunshot wound to his head and a cold forty five revolver in his hand, so it seemed like it was probably a pretty clear cut case of suicide. He'd been known to have been deep in the drink at the time, was very depressed, and he'd given an interview to the Tombstone Epitaph newspaper just before his death that he said that he was going to be run down or killed at some point, and a local historian named Bob Bo's Bell, so that he certainly sounded down in the interview, So you could make a pretty good case that it was suicide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, other people say it was probably you know, in the movie at least it was Val Kilmer. It was Doc Holiday, and that historian Bell was like, you know, everyone thought pretty much that this is a suicide until that movie came out. There were of course whispers that it could have been Holiday and erb in the gang, but it was really that movie that kind of solidified it in the minds of people, because you know, it was a big Hollywood movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's some problems with that one. Doc Holiday was almost certain li in Pueblo County, Colorado, a few days before Ringo's death and after because he had to appear in court and he's on the record as having been there. It's a fifteen hundred mile trip in three days that I guess you could make, But that seems like a lot of trouble to go out of your way when Doc Holladay could have just killed them basically at any time. And then Wyatt Earp he did claim credit for him, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he for sure did. But this seems to be one of those things where and I think this kind of happened a lot in the Old West, where it was a badge of honor and you could claim that you murdered someone when you didn't at all, and that seems like it had some pretty big holes, Like the account of his killing wasn't it didn't line up with like how the body was found. And he also recanted later and was like, you know, I didn't really kill that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there was another piece of evidence that just kind of at least it's circumstantial, that was written later by Doc Holliday's common law wife, Big Nose, Kate Cummings, And not only does it kind of support the idea that he died by suicide, it also really paints him as a tragic figure. If you'll indulge me, will you chuck? Yes? Kate Cummings wrote, Ringo was a fine man anyway you look at him physically, intellectually, morally. He was six feet tall, rather slim and build, although broad shouldered, medium fair is to complexion, with gray blue eyes and light brown hair. Kay, so far, so good. His face was somewhat long, Okay. He was what might be called an attractive man. So she described him physically as basically handsome, and then she says his attitude toward all women was gentlemanly. He must have been a gentleman born. Sometimes I noticed something wistful about him as if his thoughts were far away on something sad, and he would say, oh well and sigh. Then he would smile. But his smiles were always sad. There was something in his life that only he himself knew about. He was always neat, clean, well dressed, show that he took good care of himself. He never boasted of his deeds, good or bad, a trade I have always liked and men. John was a loyal friend, and he was noble for he never fought anyone except face to face. Every time I think of him, my eyes fill with tears.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that sounds like a guy who was haunted by seeing his father blow his own head off by accident.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think it says a lot that that was Doc Holliday, his sworn enemy's wife who wrote that about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: So that's Johnny Ringo. Kind of a murder mystery, but not necessarily and anyway you slice it, one of the unsung outlaw bandits of the Old West. Attractive Chuck said, that's right, which means short stuff is out.
Speaker 3: Stuff you should know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio Opup Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.