Speaker 1: I think no matter what lexicon you use around your addiction, whether you say that you're sober or clean, or alcohol free or teetotal or drug free, whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to use, the only thing that.
Speaker 1: Matters is remembering the darkness, the place you found yourself, and never wanting to go back there.
Speaker 3: Wow, welcome to the one you feed throughout time. Great thinkers have recognized the importance of the thoughts we have. Quotes like garbage in, garbage out, or you are what you think, ring true, and yet for many of us, our thoughts don't strengthen or empower us. We tend toward negativity, self pity, jealousy, or fear. We see what we don't have instead of what we do. We think things that hold us back and dampen our spirit. But it's not just about thinking. Our actions matter. It takes conscious, consistent, and creative effort to make a life worth living. This podcast is about how other people keep themselves moving in the right direction, how they feed their good wolf. We hope you'll enjoy this episode from the archive. Thanks for joining us. Our guest on this episode is Katherine Gray, who is one of very few guests to ever be on the show. Three times. Maybe she'll be the first to be on four times. We don't know what the future holds. But Catherine Gray is a writer and author who lives in the UK. Her first book, which we interviewed her about, was The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober, which is so great it became a bestseller. And then today Eric and Catherine discuss her new book, Sunshine Warm, Sober, Unexpected, Sober Joy That Lasts.
Speaker 4: Hi, Catherine, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi Eric, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: I am so excited to have you back. We don't have a lot of three time guests, but I'm so happy to have you be one of them. We're gonna be talking about your latest book, Sunshine Warm, Sober, Unexpected, Sober Joy That Lasts. But before we do that, we'll start, like we always do, with the parable, which you will get a third try at here, so don't mess it up this time. You know how the parable goes. There's a grandmother who's talking with her granddaughter and she says, in life, there are two wolves inside of us that are always at battle. One is a good wolf, which represents things like kindness and bravery and love, and then there's a bad wolf, which represents things like greed and hatred and fear, and the granddaughter stops. She thinks about it for a second. She looks up at her grandmother and she says, well, grandmother, which one wins? And the grandmother says, the one you feed. So I'd like to start off by asking you what that parable means to you and your life and in the work that you do.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, well, I mean that has a daily resonance For me, I feel like inside me every day there's like this puppet show with the good and bad wolf like punching each other like sock puppets, and for me, it really boils down to so I have a very negatively biased brain, as most.
Speaker 2: Of us do. Study after study has.
Speaker 1: Shown that when bad things happen to us, we give it this profundity and significance in our brain, and when positive things happen to us, we just.
Speaker 2: Let it slide on by.
Speaker 1: It's like that famous quote about our brain being velcrow for the bad things and teflon for the good things. I can't remember who said it, and I apologize, but every single day I have to make sure I feed.
Speaker 2: My good wolf with the good things that.
Speaker 1: Are happening in my life and just hang on to them so that they don't slide away and starve my bad wolf who wants to throw all of the negative things that happen that day up onto a big screen.
Speaker 2: So that's how I think about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're not going to talk a lot about the book you wrote before this one, but I did get something very valuable from that book about this very thing you're talking about, which is holding on to the good things and giving them a little bit more focus. And what I took from that book that after years of doing gratitude practices, I never really got until I saw the way you did it in that book is the specificity which I go into and think about the thing that occurred. I've only been doing it since I read that several days ago, but it just something in me sort of clicked, And just the last couple of days, as I've written out my gratitudes, they're just more alive with that specificity.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. That makes me so happy. That means I've done my job. So I think when people do gratitude liss and this is something that I do every day, As I said, to help my good wilf Win, and it's something that people tend to do, and they tend to say things like I'm grateful for my car, I'm grateful for my flat, I'm grateful for my dog, I'm grateful for my partner. That kind of thing. They go too big and these things don't change from day to day. So what I discovered, because I fell into this trap myself when I started doing gratitudes eight years ago, was it if you funnel down to the specific I can't say that word, to the specifics of the gratitude, then that becomes so much more powerful, which is what you've discovered, which just makes me really happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. Listener, while you were listening to that, what resonated with you? What one thing to feed your good wolf comes to mind? If the thing that came to your mind was more time for stillness, or you've tried meditation before and you really haven't liked it, then I want to give you a quick tip that might make it better for you. And it's simply to stop expecting that you're not going to have thoughts. Nearly everyone has this expectation that they're going to sit down and meditate and they're going to stop having thoughts. And when they stop having thoughts, that means they're doing it well. But no one does that, and so we end up feeling like we're failing all of the time, every three seconds, failed again, failed again. We develop a relationship with meditation that is aversive. So if you want to stop dreading meditation and actually find it relaxing, check out my free meditation guide at Goodwolf dot me slash calm. In it, I walk you through my process to engage with meditation in a new way, and a lot of people have found it really helpful. That's Goodwolf dot me slash calm. Let's talk about Sunshine, Warm and Sober. At the time of the writing of the book, you were eight years sober. I think, so, where does that track to where you are now?
Speaker 2: I'm still eight years safer.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just a little way into so I'm like almost eight and a half years. I don't know whether you want me to go into this, but my first bit was the Unexpected Joy of being Sober, and I wrote that when I was four years sober, and I honestly.
Speaker 2: Thought that book was it.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, I've learned all the stuff I'm going to learn pretty much about sobriety and non drinking and my drinking days and recovery and addiction and all that. You know, obviously there'll be updates with the news. But honestly, I thought that evolvement had mostly been done in those first four years, which just now I'm sure you can probably relate, seems quite absurd.
Speaker 2: It just seems preposterous because.
Speaker 1: I've done just as much learning in the last four years about how to be a sober adult. So I think when I wrote the first book, I was basically a sober teenager. I think you're like a newborn for the first year of sobriety, then you're a toddler, and then you're like an adolescent. So only now that I consider myself, what would be you know, a sober adult. So yeah, that's what the second book is all about. It's a sequel.
Speaker 4: You said a bunch of things in there that I could reflect upon. But I think there is a line, It's a line that doesn't exist where we go from quote unquote being in recovery to just being a human being who goes through the same things that everybody in the world. Goes through and I think at a certain point that's what recovery starts to look like, is it just starts to be about living as a thoughtful, committed, good human being, which I think always takes effort, and there's always, hopefully if you're doing it right, always.
Speaker 1: Learning, absolutely, And I think when you're in the first few years of recovery, sorry, i've got a puppy and he's got a bone, I'm just going to try and get it often, because it's going to be very noisy, okay, in a very playful mood, which is great timing. I think something that's also very true is that we tend to in the first years of recovery, we set if we're anxious, or if we're excited, or if we feel any strong emotion, we sort of count that as being triggered. Yeah, you know, think I'm being triggered drink. Whereas now I don't think of those emotions in that way. It's just a spectrum of emotions that everyone experiences. But I think of my addiction quite differently. I don't think of myself as you know, forever addicted. I think of it more in the neuroscientific way, which is that the addictive super highways fade over time. So just as I don't consider myself like still addicted to smoking, which I quit seven years ago, but if I really started smoking, I would become addicted to it again. Those two things coexist. So that's how I think about my former addiction. You know, it's not necessarily the norm, but it served me that way of thinking about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much of what you write in this book is about that things are on a spectrum, or there's lots of shades of gray, or there's no this or that. Answer shows up through so many different things that we could talk about as far as what we know about addiction, what we think addiction is how we recover from addiction. And at the same time, there is that one fairly stark bright line that says, for most of us our experiences, if we drink or use again, we are going to end up in trouble again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think that's why a lot of people do feel safer. The majority of people feel safeer defining themselves as an addict or alcoholic for the rest of their lives because they see that, as you know, the daily reminder that they shouldn't drink or use right, because they will become re addicted. And the neuroscience supports that as well, because it doesn't matter how you know, I haven't drank for eight years, but those well worn pathways in my brain, even though they're cobwebbed and disused, they're still there, and they're almost like an overgrown highway, you know. It's not just a little country laying. It's a proper prominent like Route sixty six. So that's not to be tested. In my opinion, I think once you've become addicted to something, if you restart, you will more than likely become addicted again.
Speaker 2: Why take the risk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, what's interesting is I was somewhere around where you are in sobriety, probably a little bit less. It might have been seven years my first time around, and I drank again.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think I've been back sober about fourteen years. Yeah, I think it'll be fifteen years in February. But yeah, it was around eight years, seven to eight that I went back out. And it's really it's really interesting because I did a lot of the healing that you are describing and talk about in the book, and yet I still drank again, And like you said, it's obviously I'm on a podcast where I talk about my recovery journey again, so we know how it turns out, right, it didn't. It didn't work out going back out. I thought I could handle it, and I didn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my dad, he's unfortunately no longer with us, but he went back out at eight years as well, and again that was short lived, and then he came back and did twenty three years. So maybe there's some sort of seven year itch or something when it comes to recovery. But yeah, I mean, you're never immune, are you. And the book goes into these stats which are really fascinating. So once you've done one year of sobriety, you've got sixty six percent chance of sustaining it. Once you've gone two years, oh no, sorry, it's thirty six percent after one year. After two years, it's sixty six percent. After three years of sustained sobriety, it's eighty six percent. But that's not one hundred percent. There's still that fourteen percent full to rate, which means that you can always fall down the rabbit hole again. So I think for me, it's almost the two things living together. It wants coexisting that I don't want to be defined by my former addiction, but I also know it's still there, if that makes sense, and the possibility for it to resurface is always there.
Speaker 4: Yep, I agree, it's one hundred percent that way, And that's why I was saying, it's like there's a lot of gray area, and we'll get into some of these. How different is an alcoholic from a normal person? Is that even the right word to use? You know? How do we define ourselves? Which I think there's room for a lot more nuance, except up to the point of, at least in my case, the moderation line, because you said in the book, you know the question that most people have at some point is maybe I can moderate now? And you said, yeah, wager, yeah, you'd wager that most of slips or relapses, whatever you want to call them, are down to them maybe it will be different thing. And that was absolutely what mine was, and mine used my heel against me. It's very fascinating because it went, Look, you did all these years in AA, you worked the steps a bunch of times, you've been to therapy, you did all this inner child childhood repair work, you've been to counselate, you've done all these things. You're a healthy, reasonable human being now and you're fixed. Yeah, and you were just young at that age, and you know you were doing heroin, which of course is a bad idea, you shouldn't do that. But a couple of drinks aren't going to be a problem. You know, you make good decisions in other areas of life. And it didn't, like I said, didn't turn out. What's interesting, it wasn't an immediate disaster. You know. In AA, we were always so strident, like if I go back out, I'll be a prostitute and selling my body for drugs in the next eight minutes. Like we're so dramatic about it. And that was not my case at all. I started off and I had a drink and I had nothing bad happened. I had a couple more, nothing bad happened. But over a period of years it just slid back into the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it always does.
Speaker 1: And I've seen it with all of my friends pretty much that I've gone back out, that maybe it'll.
Speaker 2: Be different this time. Voice is one they've.
Speaker 1: Always found the same. There's a few months or six months, or even a year of where it looks like it's going to work out, and then it doesn't. It just slides back into that darkness.
Speaker 2: Like you said, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just think once you've been to that dark place, you're always going to be taken back to it if you pick up again. So I mean, for me, it's not something that I in any way nurse a notion of wanting or being able to do again, anymore than I would nurse the notion that I can outrun lions.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a bad idea for me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, But then people when I explained to them that I no longer call myself an alcoholic I've stopped defining myself that way when I was about four or five years sober. I did it secretly at first because I was very scared of offloading the word. I've been told that if you offload the word addicts or alcoholic, then you may as well have pressed a button on the relapse machine.
Speaker 2: You know you're heading for a relapse. You're cruising for a bruising.
Speaker 1: So I did it secretly at first, and then nothing happened, and I just started feeling actually safer in my sobriety. But then that's my story that's not the right way for everyone.
Speaker 2: It certainly isn't.
Speaker 1: If one of the words makes them feel safe, they should keep it. But I think no matter what lexicon you use around your addiction, whether you say that you're sober or clean, or alcohol free or teetotal or drug free, whatever you want to use, and it's alcoholic, the only thing that matters is remembering the darkness, the place you found yourself and never wanting to go back there.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep. I want to hit a bunch of points in there. But let's circle back fairly early on in the book where you talk about the definition of addiction, and you've got some different experts who weigh in throughout the book who are awesome, but I wanted to talk about you know, what do we think addiction is? If even that's the right word to use anymore?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I absolutely use the word addiction, but I just use it as more of an experience than an identity. So the person with an addiction rather than an addict, yeah kind of thing. Yeah, But for me, the definition of it would be you start out intending to consume or do a thing and then the reality is different. So, say, for instance, if I sit down in front of a cheesecake intending to eat one slice, and then I eat three sides of it. Then that's a bit of a cheesecake problem because I never, you know, go on a night out intending to drink one soft drink and then have eight, which is what I used to do when I was drinking. So it's that difference no matter whether it's spending or gambling or what have you. It's the difference between what you intend to do and what you actually do.
Speaker 2: But a lot of my experts pointed out that the.
Speaker 1: Most recent clinical understanding of it is that it's more of a not a learning disorder, because that's outdated now, but it's more of a disordered learning. So it's your brain learning that this thing helps, whether it's a drug or a drink or a shopping website, you know, this thing soothed you, and so it comes back to it again and again and again and again. So it's more that your brain has just learned that something that is bad for you is good for you, and so it repeated.
Speaker 4: Right, right, It's interesting that, you know, the learning disorder theory came up and disappeared fairly quickly, and I think the problem might be with that that term, but I do think it points to, Yeah, your brain learned something really really well and then got stuck on that setting exactly.
Speaker 1: Just like your brain classifies food and water and shelter as essential for survival, once you're addicted to something, it classifies that thing, yes, as essential for survival too, So you really do think that you need that thing in order to live, which is why it's so hard to overcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when you put it in those terms, I just had that visceral moment of that is exactly what it feels like, you know, when you're trying to get over an addiction and you don't have that substance, it does feel like you don't have something that is essential to life. And it's why I often talk about like one of the things that keeps me sober is never wanting to be in the place again where on one part of my brain knows very clearly that to consume this substance will be the end of me, so I will not survive if I do it, and the other part of my brain is screaming, you're not going to survive if you don't do it, and that internal tension is just a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. A neuroscientist would probably say, although this is vastly oversimplified, that that is a fight in your brain between you're a migdala and your prefrontal cortex, which is basically the child and the adult of your brain. If you're going to boil it down really simply because it's you're a migdala, that's generally where the seat of addiction is, and it really believes that the drink is like oxygen. I mean that's how I felt. I really did feel that way. Yeah, and so did you. But it's very difficult to explain this to people who haven't experienced it themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and then it may be a migdala to prefernal cortex, but it's almost for some of us, particularly if we've tried to get sober a bunch and haven't been able to. It's like the fear of drinking is so strong too. It's just like these two terrors that are like trying to outbid each other. So when we talk about addiction, the other thing that I think is a more modern understanding is that there isn't like some line where it's like, well, up to this point, you do not have an addiction, and then a minute you go past this, you suddenly do have an addiction. That there's a lot more gray area or scale on this. Some people would say we're all addicts to something in some way. How do you think about that now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think of addiction as a spectrum, and even though I was a seven or eight, or maybe even a nine at my worst, I'm actually seeing more and more that people are quitting when they're lower down on the spectrum, when they're five.
Speaker 2: Or six, because we're living in a.
Speaker 1: World that's much more I'm sorry, might properly keeps taking presents from under the tree and trying to rip them off.
Speaker 4: Hallo, we should put him on the video.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's been really good all day and that just now it's just become an absolute terror. Anyway, I've just taken everything away from him that he can do harm to, so that will be fine.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you a funny story about dogs real quick. To this note, Ginny and I'm my partner. We've got this program called Spiritual Habits. There's a second version of it that we lead and at the beginning of every session we do a guided meditation. Our dogs have decided like that at that moment they're going to go to their worst behavior. So like I'm guiding to meditation, and inevitably one of them is like in behind me, or I'm like what are you? What are you doing? You don't even ever do this normally, Like it is just it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's like they can sense it.
Speaker 1: I mean, he literally just got his metal collar dog tag off his collar somehow and was trying to eat it while I was trying to answer a question of neuros. So I was like using chicken to get it. Oh, no, he's destroying his bed. Were just going to ignore him, all right, Yeah, makes sense that you're doing something important. I think, just like children, that's when they act up right totally. Loss has rid of what we were talking about.
Speaker 4: What was we were talking about things being on a spectrum, and you were saying people people who are lowered down like a five, are starting to quit.
Speaker 1: Definitely, yeah, because I mean I think it's probably the same in the States that here in the UK. Everyone is so much more sober positive and if you're at a party now and you say that you're not drinking. You don't get heckled like you used to, which is just amazing. Things are beginning to shift, and I just meet sober people all over the place now, like it used to be that you couldn't find them unless you went to a meeting, and now I'll bump into them at my coworking space or at yoga or whatever. And it just feels like so many people don't drink now, not that there's a right way and the wrong way, you know, I don't believe that. I think it's nuanced and people should do what worked for them. But yeah, it's definitely a spectrum. It's not a black and white thing, as we've been led to believe.
Speaker 4: You were the first person I heard this from, and I think it's such an important idea, which is, before this idea became more known, you were always looking like, am I an alcoholic? Let me look at the numbers. If I am, then okay, I have a problem and I should probably work on quitting. But if I'm not, eh, no big deal, right, And at least, again, you were the first person I heard put forth this idea, like, if your life is better without drinking, that's it. That's as simple as that. You don't have to get into this, Am I an alcoholic? How bad am I? Have I hit bottom? All these other questions. It's just would my life be better if this wasn't in it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I spent so many lonely nights of the soul googling am I an alcoholic? And doing quizzes and fudging my answers. And you know, I did that for years before I actually quit drinking. And it was only once I was convinced that I was that I quit drinking. And that's the other thing that's a problematic about the black and white, you know, normal versus alcoholic dialogue, is that sometimes people think that they need to be really bad in order to quit. It would be a bit like if we said to smokers, oh, just no, don't quit until you're smoking forty a day, okay, right, until then you're a normal smoker. That then you've tipped over into smokaholic and you should quit. Yeah, that's kind of how we approach alcohol. And it's just weird. You know, people are like, if you've still got a job, if you're not drinking in the morning, if you're not drinking spirits, then you're fine and you can carry on drinking. You just need to wait until everything is slipping out of your grasp and you know you're about to end up on the streets.
Speaker 2: That's when you quit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 1: But thankfully that is really beginning to shift and change, and it's needed to for a really long time.
Speaker 4: I agree one hundred percent. I think it has needed to change, you know, And I think it comes back to this question then, of and I get this from clients a lot, right, which is they've got a bad habit, which is the way we might refer to it. I've got a bad habit. Yeah, I'm eating emotionally, I'm procrastinating, I am spending money in a bad way. I am I am doing these things. And the question is always, well, is it an addiction or not? And I'm sort of less concerned earned with that, because again, I don't think you can say, well, yep, it is. You are now officially an addict. It's like, well, you're not happy with it. Yeah, it's not serving you in your life, causing you distress, That's right, And the way that we're going to deal with it is going to be very similar. Whether we call it an addiction or whether we call it a bad habit, or whatever we want to call it. Some people are very quick to call it an addiction. Other people don't want to hear that word. Again, it's describing behaviors on a spectrum, and you're enough on the spectrum that this is problematic for you, whatever we want to call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And like you said earlier, am I addicted to it?
Speaker 2: Is the wrong question?
Speaker 1: Really, the right question is would my life be better without it if I stop this behavior or this compulsion or this consumption of this substance. That is the question. And so it doesn't really matter if you're addicted to it or dependent on it, or whatever language you want to use. It's about whether it's blighting your life. And if you are coming to the point where you're even asking that question, then the answer is yes, it is. It is lighting your life, because why else would you be researching that. Yeah, yeah, you know people are who easily moderate a substance or shopping or gambling whatever. They don't sit there at three am in the blue light of the laptop googling an addict. They just don't so just labels aren't necessary in order to tackle the real problems. That would be the core message I would want to leave people with. But they're not wrong either. You know, it's whatever helps you.
Speaker 4: You talked about this in the book, about this idea of you know, do we use those terms alcoholic addict? And you know you described how you've chosen to not use that term. I don't think about it very much. I would say, yeah, I am an addict or an alcoholic, or is the word I would use, but only because I don't think about it very much. And I love you quoted. I think it was test Recovery who says addiction and is an experience, not an identity, and that that totally I was like, yes, that's the wording I was looking for. And I don't really go to AA anymore. I think the thing that sort of pushed me out of AA was what you talk about here. Wasn't that word defining myself as an alcoholic? The word I'm like, okay, it doesn't. The word doesn't mean anything to me. But what it was, And you talk about this in several different ways in the book, talking about people describing people outside the room as normies. You talk about describing us as having an addictive personality, you talk about describing ourselves as like, well, I'm just an addict, so that's why I do that. What eventually got to me was like, I just went, I don't think I'm that different than the rest of the world, except I cannot moderate drinking. Okay, so in that way, that's an experience. But I just got so tired of seeing myself as defined by the tropes of what an addict is, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I couldn't identify with that more, as you know. And I'm definitely of the school of thought where I think most people are addicted to something. It's just that the experience of being addicted to alcohol and other drugs, because we say alcohol and drugs, but alcohols are drug is one that can savage your life and become a very visible and humiliating experience once you really get dependent on it. So and other addictions like phone addiction, work addiction, they're very socially supported. You know, making money addiction is that work addiction, You know, just that more and more and more addiction that is one hundred percent encouraged by our capitalist societies, and you know, different addictions. They can still have though that detrimental effect on you, but they're just socially endorsed or reviled. So yeah, it's something that I didn't want to be defined by for the rest of my life either. But everyone's individual and they see it differently.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's so interesting talking about that, like what is socially acceptable what is not? You know, I got sober that second time, and the first time I was a homeless heroin addict who was looking at going to jail for a long time. The second time, I was a drinker who smoked marijuana, who also had the best job he'd ever had, was driving a very very nice car, living in a beautiful part of town, in a nice house. Inside, I was just the same. It's just that alcohol was legal and heroin was not. I mean, it was that basic. Otherwise, there was no difference in how sick I was, and I just didn't have to do the things as an alcoholic that I had to do to get heroin, absolutely because I could walk through any store I drove by, and I could walk in and get my drug at a very affordable, reasonable price. And so it does speak to that idea of the way we define the substance has a lot to do with it. I also do think that drugs are a little bit different than say, gambling, or phone or sex addiction or and the way they're different is both types of addictions change the brain by what your brain is learning and by the neurochemicals that you're generating. They both do that, but drugs and alcohol, in addition to the way that sort of happens in the mechanism of addiction, drugs and alcohol actually then are chemically on top of that changing the brain even more because that's what they are. Cately, they're brain changing chemicals, right, So it's almost like you've got the double dose of it in that case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for pointing that out.
Speaker 1: That is an important distinction, and that's why those types of addictions could be all the more powerful and also destructive. And what you just said about the heroin addiction versus the alcohol dependence, and I bet the second time around, when you got sober, you encountered more resistance to your getting sober than you did the first time round, because you know, your life was so great and you were nailing everything and killing it at life, and you know that was very much my.
Speaker 2: Experience as well.
Speaker 1: When I came out and said, you know, hey, guys, I'm an alcoholic, because I definitely embraced that word at first, and I need.
Speaker 2: To quit drinking.
Speaker 1: I nobody, apart from a few members of my family and my best friend who i'd lived with, was like, great decision, will to all one hundred percent with that, I got a widespread reaction of you're not that bad, just you know, just yeah, fine, take a break, but just do it for a month or so, or you know, maybe six months at most. You know, you're doing really well at life. It's just it's that relationship that's got you down, or it's just you're a bit depressed. You're drinking more than usual, and it's just such a strange social thing because you're doing this thing that is one hundred percent of positive lifestyle choice, and yet people resist it. Yeah, they don't want to lose that drinking buddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's legal, and it's socially celebrated and championed, and we're encouraged to grow up to be drinkers. So yeah, I think in that way it is different to other drugs.
Speaker 4: All right, now, let's pause for a quick good warf reminder, and this one is on meditation. If while you're meditating your mind wanders, you probably, like most people, treat that as a moment of failure, like, ough, my mind wandered again. But let's flip that and instead treat that as a moment of celebration because in that moment, your mind actually woke up and you were mindful of the fact that your mind wandered. So it's a win. So if we can flip that right on its head and say, oh, good job, brain, we actually make it more likely that a our brain is going to do it more often because we're training it, and b that we're going to enjoy it more. And specifically, it's about how to make you not dread meditation so much and actually find it relaxing. Check out my free meditation guide at Goodwolf dot me slash calm. I think some of it depends where you live and the culture that you're in. And but I mean I have I've had a couple clients who are in that boat where it's like everybody around them is just like, You're fine, what are you making such a big deal out of? And I mean, I just that's so hard I mean even at least, you know, when I got sober the second time, even though on the outside things looked good, the people who were closest enough to me were like, yeah, that's a good idea, Like I mean, you know, I mean, I was a disaster area. I just on the outside was holding it together. The resistance the second time was internal because the first time I had just so so been beaten up by drugs and alcohol. The second time I had, but not as much, And so I had to keep saying to myself, like, do I really need to go any further with this? Like do you really need to ride the elevator down another floor? Do you need to get in a car accident with your son in the car because you've been drinking? Like is that what this really is going to take? That's the conversation I'd have with myself where I'd be like, Okay, no, I guess I don't. But it was a little bit harder.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting, that second sobriety, and so many people have a second sobriety. I mean, for me, it was relationships, as you.
Speaker 2: Know, I realized three.
Speaker 1: I can't remember how long it was into sobriety, but I realized that I was well and truly addicted to love and relationships and had to give those up, yeah, for a year in order to recalibrate.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a lot of people do have that kind.
Speaker 1: Of second sobriety where they realized there's another addiction lie beneath their priary addiction.
Speaker 4: That secondary addiction of love or sex, for me, was part of what dragged me back out into active drinking addiction again, is because that addiction was running enough of my life that the core focus of a big part of what recovery is, and we may get to this if we have time, is about, you know, getting outside of yourself and caring about other people and having their well being in mind. That had receded from my life, and all I was interested in was me, me, me, me again, and that was a big part I think of what was behind me going back out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: So we're going to take a brief detour here to talk about I know you must do this on purpose in your books because it's funny, but you come up with all these different ways of describing being drunk. I don't know if the English just are better at this, they just have more descriptive words. Whether you're searching them out, I don't know, but but I love reading. Just going to give a couple of them. One of them, you're describing being drunk, and you said I'm truly batfaced, which I don't even fully I don't even fully understand. Clattered, spangled, lashed, blitzed. Yeah, there's another one says entices everyone to get their kit off and toast their tits.
Speaker 2: I think there's lastly, a British thing.
Speaker 1: We have so many different words are getting drunk because it is basically a national hobby.
Speaker 4: It's like the Eskimos who have so many words for ice kind of things.
Speaker 1: Or the Irish have you know, fifteen different words for rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why we have.
Speaker 1: So many of them, because we get drunk so often. So I think that can explain it. I think if you ask any British person to be able to rattle off at least fifteen different words for drunk.
Speaker 4: I think the US used to be better at it, because if you read the AA Big Book, which was written back in the late thirties, there's some great ones in there, like you know, boiled as an owl. You know, there's some good ones in there. I don't remember them all, but now I think America as a whole, we're just less literate, so our words have just gotten to be less fun. But I truly enjoyed that. Throughout the book, I just kept looking for it. We've hit on this a little bit. But let's talk about addictive personality and the correl it to it. In your book. You've got two sections I'm just going to time together. You asked the experts, can you have an addictive personality? And then you also talked about this narrative that some people have like, well, I'm just an addict, you know, like as they're binging on sugar or coffee or cigarettes, or I'm just an addict. So is there an addictive personality? And if we have it, are we more likely to become addicted?
Speaker 1: Well? I asked four experts, and I specifically and deliberately chose experts with very different ways of thinking, from the very traditional AA way of thinking right across to the more radical way of thinking, the more modern ways of thinking. And it was so interesting because three of the four said, no, there is no such thing as an addictive personality.
Speaker 2: What you can have.
Speaker 1: Is a predisposition to addiction. And these are things like anxiety, being somebody who's anxious, or being somebody who's introverted. But then the very opposite is also true, because people who are traverted or more prone to be impulsive and spontaneous are also more likely to be addicted. So this idea of this singular addictive personality that a person can have is just not true. It's not backed up, and most experts would say that it's not a thing. I'm not gonna say it's not true because that's that's too black and white, but most most experts, I think, would agree that there's no evidence for it. What you do have is certain characteristics in your personality that mean that you're predisposed, just like genetics or you know, a traumatic childhood predisposed you to addiction. And the other thing is sorry, I'm literally eating cotton wool.
Speaker 2: I hope he's still alive at the end of the scat.
Speaker 4: I hope to.
Speaker 1: Trying to kill himself through various means. No anyway, So and the once an adict or always an addict something that I hear so much and it just makes me feel really sad. This kind of I'm just an addict narrative that people tend to internalize and therefore think that they're just going to get addicted to everything. So once got very addicted to something, it's just not the case. I mean, for a start, if you've overcome a primary addiction, no matter what it was, too, you have beaten an addiction. Yeah, you may not have beaten it forever, you may go back, but you still have that toolbox that you use to beat that addiction, you know, whether you've been sober for four years or forty years. So it's something that I just don't really believe in. I think that once an addict, always an addict is quite a destructive way to think of it. I think all of us are prone to addiction, and all of us could fall into an addiction. So that's more the way that I think of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, And I think, you know, when we get sober from an addiction, there does appear to be more likelihood of falling into another one. And I don't think that's so much underlying personality so much as as you said, it is a series of risk factors that have added up to addiction, and we're still learning how to live without relying on some external thing to make us feel happy. But over time, I think that can change. It's funny, I've said this before. I answered that I was an impulsive person on personality tests up until a couple of years ago, and that is not the way any sort of description of me over the better part of the last twenty five years would be, except for, yeah, I did go back out and drink for a while, but I'm not an impulsive, rash person, and yet I had that I'm an addict. Thus I must be impulsive that I continue to answer those things that way. And I know you're a fan of doctor Rick Hanson. You've quoted him in a lot of books. And I was talking with him recently and he said something that just I was like, Yes, that's exactly it, although I think his measurement of time is off. He said, everybody's self conception is at least six months out of date, and I was like, that is brilliant, and for a lot of people it's way longer than that. It could be that for people who were addicted, you know, have an addiction and they've been sober ten or fifteen years, that personality, their self conception may still be stuck on some really defining things that aren't true anymore. I mean in AA people say this all the time around here, like well I'm still a liar, cheating, a thief, And I'm like, well are you, like, I mean, okay, maybe you are, but maybe you're not. So it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's allowing yourself that room and having the permission to evolve beyond what you were. And what you just said is perfect. I mean I used to For many, many, many many years I told myself and other people told me as well. It was an echo chamber, the story that I was dreadful with money, right, I'm terrible with money, I'll never buy a flat, I'll never be able to save money, I'll never get out of debt. And so obviously my reality reflected that. So we have to be careful what molds we pour our stories into, because that shapes our reality. Our perceptions of ourselves shape our reality. So it would be like you pouring some jello into a mold and being like, oh, how strange it's now shaped like this mold.
Speaker 2: If you tell yourself that.
Speaker 1: You're terrible with money, or you're impulsive, or that you get addicted to everything, then you will then go and become that self fulfilling prophecy. So if you change how you think about yourself, then often that can trigger a change in yourself. Or if you just look at the actual evidence, like when's the last time I told a lie? Am I still a liar? Am I still a cheap? Am I still a thief? When's the last time I stole?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to let yourself evolve and become better and champion yourself when you become better. I think it's really important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. You talk about that in the book Our stories can become self fulfilling prophecies, And you have a line I love the one you just used about pouring our stories into a mold. The other one that you said is it becomes like a coat hanger that you hang the rest of your life upon, which is another really good analogy. And I think this is interesting because again I see this sort of work working with clients, and the vast majority of my clients it's not alcoholism or addiction work, right, But what I see is this tendency to say, like I'm the kind of person who never follows through on things, And it's this interesting dance of And it's the same thing with alcoholism and addiction. You've got to say, well, yeah, there's a real problem here, right, I've got to look at the facts and go okay, yes, okay, up till now, I traditionally have not tended to follow through on things that I started. So okay, that's who I am today. But like you said, we've got to give ourselves the freedom to move forwards. And I'm always looking for like a word, like what's the right word, Like tendency is a word that I sort of like. I might say I have a tendency towards X. You know, which is true. You know, right now, I have a tendency towards X that can totally be changed and overridden. It's a very different thing. So it is a nuanced discussion. But I think the important part of it, as you're saying, is like, don't let it harden. You know, if it's useful, then learn what you can from it, but don't let it harden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we can and absolutely do change. I mean, what you've just touched upon is so important. Important to make yourself a person with the thing rather than the thing. Yes, So I used to be a late riser. Now, I'm a person who tends to get up early, but I allowed that identity as a late riser to just become the thing that I always did. And in order to change it, obviously you have. I mean, I'm a big fan of atomic habits, James. Clear, Obviously you have to start changing the thing in order for the new thing to become the new tendency.
Speaker 2: You can't just say you're an early riser and then you are. That's not what I mean.
Speaker 1: But you should allow yourself the riggle room to evolve beyond that thing that you used to do, even if you did it for twenty one years like I drank for twenty one years. You know, it's just so important to allow yourselves that room.
Speaker 4: That's great. So listener and thinking about all of that and the other great wisdom from today's episode. If you were going to isolate just one top insight or thing to do that you're taking away, what would it be. Remember that, little by little, a little becomes a lot, and a habit for me that has accrude and benefit over time is meditation. However, one of the things that gets in our way of building a steady meditation practice. Is that very striving right. Of course, we're doing it because we want certain benefits, But in the moment of actually meditating, we need to let striving go and focus on just being there and experiencing it. No matter what's happening, it becomes not enjoyable because I'm trying to make something happen some special moment. We want to let go of that. So if you want to stop dreading meditation and actually find it enjoyable, check out my free meditation guide at Goodwolf dot me slash calm. Well, we are at the end of our time. I could talk to you all day. You and I are going to continue to talk for a little while. In the post show conversation, we're going to talk about two riveting things we're going to talk about. You've got a line we repeat what we don't repair. You say, I think that untangling your childhood therapy is one of the most important things to do, so we're going to talk about that. And we're also going to talk about a new hobby that we both have discovered, which is bouldering. So we're going to talk about that in the post show conversation. Listeners, if you'd like access to that you can get access to all the post show conversations, AD free episodes, a special episode I do each week called a teaching, a song and a poem. You can go to one ufeed dot net slash join Catherine. Thank you so much, always one of my favorite guests.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I've really enjoyed this conversation.
Speaker 1: May I just point one thing out though, because I don't want to take credit for something that I didn't say, so we repeat what we don't repair was is a quote from a therapist called Christine something. I can't remember her full name. It wasn't my quote, but I did. Yeah, I used it as a chapter heading, but then quoted her within it. So I don't want to take credit for that because it's such a good phrase.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, if she doesn't have it, if she doesn't have a last name, we don't need to credit her. I'm kidding. I know she does. I'm kidding, all right. The book is called Sunshine Warm, Sober Unexpected Sober Joy That lasts. You can find it where you get books. We'll have links off our show notes also to all of Catherine's stuff. Thank you, thank you, I've loved this.
Speaker 3: If what you just heard was helpful to you. Please consider making a monthly donation to support the One You Feed podcast. When you join our membership community. With this monthly pledge, you get lots of exclusive members only benefits. It's our way of saying thank you for your support now. We are so grateful for the members of our community. We wouldn't be able to do what we do without their support, and we don't take a single dollar for granted. To learn more, make a donation at any level and become a member of the One You Feed community, go to oneufeed dot net slash join The One You Feed Podcast would like to sincerely thank our sponsors for supporting the show.