Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Sunday, March first, and it was one month ago today that eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie was reported missing, and now here we are one month later, and authorities are actually pulling back resources in finding her. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Rope. No way we would have guessed a month ago we'd be here.
Speaker 2: No, you think about, yes, we know that there are tens of thousands of missing persons every year in this country. But to think that one of the most visible national news media hosts loses her eighty four year old mother at a time right when NBC is already in the spotlight with the Olympics about to start. She had every resource, every media outlet, people around the world looking for talking about wondering what could have happened to Nancy Guthrie. And even with all of that attention and all of those resources, we still one month later, have no idea where Nancy Guthrie is.
Speaker 1: And when you say no idea, it really at least feels robes when you read and put together a lot of the headlines which try to almost sometimes fool you into clicking and thinking there's something going on. When you take them as a collective, there seems to be nothing and no movement. In this case. Some of the headlines or some of them are misleading to downright deceptive and mean quite frankly, but it makes clear there has not been The headline is that there's no new headline.
Speaker 2: Yes, so interestingly enough, Yes, if you look at the head at the tabloids, they try to make you think they've got some new nugget. Trust us, they do not. But one of the more I felt like disappointing and discouraging things today. You asked me, Hey, is there anything new. Let's look and see if there's one thing we can talk about. And I actually found these headlines from reputable sources and they all kind of say the same thing. Savannah Guthrie's mom update. It's not good news, says trusted source on day twenty eight. Nancy Guthrie Nancy Guthrie update Today. Search reaches crossroads one month and to ask Nancy Guthrie's disappearance, it's too early to declare this a cold case. Savannah Guthrie may never know what happened to her loved one in the US. She is not alone. Those were the headlines on this one month anniversary from reputable news organizations who aren't trying to fool you into thinking they've got some new bit of information. But honestly, the reality is scarier than maybe even the.
Speaker 1: Clickbait, and let's go with the reality right now. The official word, at least throws lately from authorities is not that they're throwing something new at the case. They're actually having to settle back in and pull resources back.
Speaker 2: They're calling it refocusing their resources, but what that means is they're scaling back their forces. So yes, they did just get fifteen hundred tips from that million dollar reward that the Guthrie family put out there this week. But even with all of those tips, we're also getting in this same breath reports from the FBI that they are moving its command post back to Phoenix from Tucson, that even the Pima County Sheriff's Department is returning officers, and they made this announcement on Friday. They are returning officers to their original posts pending any new development. So yes, while they all still have dedicated folks on the Nancy Guthrie case, whereas it was an all hands on deck situation that is no longer the.
Speaker 1: Case, and it just seems impossible that this could go into the cold case file in some way. And look, this is still only a month, a month new robes. We've seen cases that go for years and years and mysteries that have never been solved. It's hard to think we could be seeing the beginning of such a thing. But at least at this moment, it's hard to unless somebody talks, and often people do, but ropes, it's hard to as you said at the top, here all the resources, eyes, attention, and money, even like people had incentive to keep an eye out. People had incentive even if you knew something, to risk it to get the money and nothing. It's just hard to fathom.
Speaker 2: In this day and age, with the technology we have, with the resources available to the Guthrie family, with the media attention that was created because Savannah Guthrie is who she is. Yes, it is actually almost unthinkable. I never would have guessed that a month later we would literally have no idea, no indication, because we got word that yes, the higher Guthrie family and their spouses were completely ruled out as suspects and named victims in this case. And so of course that is the most likely potential suspect in any criminal investigation. When you rule out the obvious, Now you've got to go look for what could possibly motivate a stranger to become a part of this. So we actually went to go back because this has been really just this exceptional period of time where we have been doing Guffree updates up until the last few days daily, and so we went back to take a look at the timeline of events and there.
Speaker 1: Was stuff to report actually that were significant defense.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you go back to exactly a month ago or I guess the day before, on January thirty first, the last time Nancy Guffrey was seen alive. We know at five thirty pm, Nancy Guthrie ubers to her daughter Annie and her son in law Thomaso's home for dinner and a card game. And then we got word at nine forty eight pm on January thirty first, Nancy's garage door opens and then it closes two minutes later, and Thomas says that he watches her make it safely inside. And it was the following day we got our last real bit of forensic data because at one forty seven am we know that Nancy's front door camera is disconnected, and then twenty five minutes later a camera detects motion, but we know that she didn't have any sort of subscription to actually get the video of that, so we don't know that, and then we know it two twenty eight her pacemaker loses contact with her cell phone and it wasn't until the next day that the Guthries were notified.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but that next day was February first. We were talking February first, spokes a month ago today. This woman was reported missing. And I'm not sure when it really kind of started to catch fire in this case, but they came out fairly early on, and we were talking about this being a reduction for you're a woman, some of the thoughts you didn't wasn't in good health, so maybe she wandered off. They came out pretty immediately and said no, this woman is her her mind is sharp, even if her body is failure.
Speaker 2: And there were specific signs at Nancy's home from the moment her family got word from a friend who said, hey, Nancy was supposed to show up here and watch church service. They watched a live stream church service every day, so when she didn't show up, They notified the family, The family goes over and then we got worried about what Nancy left behind, which led authorities to directly tell the media that she did not go on her own, that what she left behind nobody would leave behind if they were actually choosing to leave a home in the middle of the night for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Say it's his own februel, Yeah, February first, February second. They're letting us know. Yes, her phone was left behind, her phone is off. It's not being you, This is not their purse, everything. There were no belongings that you would walk out. You would barely even walk out to your ma a box without some of this stuff. But she left everything behind. It seemed odd, of course, robed at the time. Who is kidnapping an eighty four year old woman. It didn't make sense. But in the very early hours they said there were signs inside, possibly that she left without her will, against her will, But they didn't early on, at least a month ago, we didn't have the clarity we have now.
Speaker 2: Yes, including her medication. This was a woman who said, they claimed couldn't go more than twenty four hours without her medication. And that was left behind as well. And then of course those blood spatters at the front door stoop, which we later found out were Nancy's blood. Now it was the following day. This is crazy, I forgot. By February second, they already had the first ransom note to kold. We didn't know about it, but that was when the first ransom note made its way to a local Tucsan station.
Speaker 1: It was the first of many, and to this day we still don't know if any are legit, but yes, they started very early on.
Speaker 2: I was surprised by that, I forgot we got one so early. And it was the next day, on February third, that TMZ got a copy of that ransom note. I think the idea was perhaps that the person who wrote it was annoyed that the local affiliate didn't let all of us know. They actually just gave it to authorities and didn't announce it. TMZ then let us know, and it wasn't until February fourth that we finally heard from Savannah and her siblings. You remember that first video of the three of them sitting there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, saying that she was the only one that was she did most of the talking or sister said something and the brother said something at the end, very short, but it was dire or was desperate, and it sounded like they didn't have much of an idea at the time what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. They were actually the first video of the siblings. They were trying to speak out to the kidnapper and say hey, we're ready to talk, and it seems strange, like, wow, they really aren't in communication with them. We were just getting like breadcrumbs basically from the family about what they knew or what they didn't know. And then February sixth, they got another ransom note kold from a different IP address, but the same methods were used to try and mask their identity. So yes, we were all still thinking something was going on, and there were deadlines, and those deadlines led to more videos from Savannah and her family, So they were trying to react to these ransom notes, and that's when they said, remember that cryptic video, We received your message and we understand well, that was just the second video message. We got so many more from the Guthrie siblings and certainly from Savannah, and they became more and more desperate. We will take you back through what we know about the Nancy Guthrie investigation, and welcome back everyone as we take a look back at what we know and talk a lot about what we don't know about nan See Guthrie's disappearance. It was exactly one month ago today. Does it seem like that much time has passed from when we first got word that Savannah Guthrie's mom was missing, disappeared out of nowhere, and now a month later to see where we are. It's kind of remarkable.
Speaker 1: I mean some people, I mean we followed every single day and have been and been keeping count, so I think a lot of people who maybe not fall well, it seems like everybody's following it that closely. But if you just just like a blank of an eye and it's been a month, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just heard word? You know, it's interesting, does Sabine and her This is something that obviously folks are age and people who know Savannah and watch the news are really heavily interested and invested in. But it it isn't It hasn't made the round on TikTok. I'm just curious in terms of trying to get the word out. I was surprised how little our children knew about this case because they get their news from TikTok.
Speaker 1: I was surprised when wasn't didn't even know that the war with Iran had started, right because she looks at tickets, though I know it's the first thing she does when she opens that phone. And to hear her say way what's going on was surprising to me. But yeah, and so some are following it closer than others.
Speaker 2: I just heard word from my ninety year old that she even knew what was going on. So it's interesting that things are just trickling down to younger folks. But obviously the Guthrie is trying to reach just about anybody and everybody. And yes, the days were it's surprising it took until February tenth. I didn't realize that was the day the surveillance video was finally released. They were able to get it back dooring it through Google, I believe, and they found this black and white video, this mass man with a gun and a backpack. That was the day February tenth. You and I both thought, that's it. It's a matter of hours, days at most, before we figure out who took Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I thought that was going that the hours. I wouldn't even put days on it. I would have said a matter of hours, there's going to be some movements, some development. And here we are with what did that produce?
Speaker 2: Nothing? And they actually detained someone that day and we thought this is it. They questioned him and then they released him in the middle of the night. We've all seen the video. A door dash driver who was very believable, very credible in saying, hey, you got the wrong guy. He didn't even know who Savannah Guthrie was. He didn't even know that Nancy Guthrie had been kidnapped. It was pretty obvious when he spoke to reporters on his front porch that he was not the person that they were looking for. Yes, and they investigated neighbors homes, They questioned people and released them. They had vehicles impounded. Bottom line. After all of that, even unknown DNA found in gloves that they believed matched the gloves worn by the man in that surveillance video. There were so many moments where you thought, Aha, this is it, and then nothing. And then finally we got word that investigators had at least ruled out a significant group of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the family people were poying the finger, in particular at one family member and a prominent journalist. It did so and a lot of people will remember that, and that was unfair and that was wrong. And fine, the sheriff came out and even talked about having a duty to make sure you all need to stop this. Everybody in the family has been cleared and obviously they were the first suspects, so they were cleared.
Speaker 2: And that's nothing out of the ordinary. And I think most people know who follow any kind of news or crime stories understand that is what police have to do. You immediately look at the people who last saw your victim, the people who purported to love the people who saw that person the last time. So, yes, that makes sense that that's where police went to specifically, So to have them rule out the family was a huge moment. But then after that there really wasn't any movement. And this last big push by the Guthrie family February twenty fourth, the Guthries are offering a one million dollar reward. We get this video, Savannah acknowledges, Yes, Mom might be gone, Mom might be dead, We still want to know, we still want to recover her are you surprised. Yes, we heard about all the tips, but nothing silence. And you'd think if something were going to happen, it would have happened. I would think it would happen sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: I mean, somebody needs to or try to. How do you collect a reward anonymously to not be able to be tracked down because you could still be the person responsible for taking her and still want to get away with this money free and clear. You want to make sure that you can't be traced and you're not going to be accused. I don't know that process at all, so maybe it takes time. Maybe it is happening behind the scenes. I don't know, But man, how do you how do you have a transaction in which we cannot trace this back to you?
Speaker 2: It seems unlikely. And I look at the end of the day, the Guthrie family had and has done everything they could possibly do. They have kept the story alive for a month, they have offered an exorbitant amount of money, They've had so many folks dedicate their time and resources to try and find their mom, and nothing makes sense. I think that's the thing that's so hard to get your head around, there is no obvious motive, And we've talked about this, and so if there's no obvious motive, who do you look for?
Speaker 1: I lean towards You have to lean towards money, because nobody just takes eighty four year old women who need help getting around and who have immediate medical needs. There's no reason to do that for giggles.
Speaker 2: And then when money is offered and there is no response, what do you do with that? Where does it go from here? And we know there obviously are questions, and there are stories that never have answers. And most of the time, even if you do find out what happened to your loved one, you never really get the why. It's rare you get the why. But I know they just want to know the what what happened to Nancy Guthrie. And we will of course continue to follow the story. Anything that rises to the level we will of course pass along to you. We aren't going to do daily updates or find ways to just push the story forward. If something big happens, we will be on it. But certainly it was important to at least acknowledge that it's been exactly one month since Nancy Guthrie was reported missing and we certainly hope that the Guthries get an answer sooner rather than later. And with that everyone, thank you for joining us. I'm Amy Roebuck alongside DJ Holmes. We will talk to you soon