Speaker 1: Hey, we're excited to talk to Luke Weaver right now, the Pittsburgh Pirates joining us on FT Luke, it's great to have you back on man. And also just before we even get going, we haven't had you on since the trade deadline? Does it feel weird like Luke Weaver of the Pirates joining.
Speaker 2: Us, thank you all for having me. It's definitely weird. I've my six year old daughter does these little pregame videos, so she's had to get a new script and try to trip not trip over her words from time to time. So it's been an adjustment period. But it's just part of my journey and it's not the first.
Speaker 3: All right, Look, I gotta ask you this. You've played for both New York teams. Now you go to Pittsburgh. Is that kind of like going and playing a road game at the University of Florida and then having to go to a crappy home game at Florida State. Is that kind of the same like analogy that you would use going from New York to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: You know, I think when you hire a good Lloyds, they typically tell you to deplete the fifths, So why don't you just put some respect its name and we'll keep it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was more of a shot at Florida State, by the way than the Pirates. So I got picked up.
Speaker 4: I picked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But but in all, in all reality, though, it is a difference. I'm sorry. If you go from you or the Yankees now when you're with the match, now you're in the Pirates, there is a difference. Can you explain that to people out there? The difference in I don't know. I don't know if you want to call it pressure or if you want to call it expectations, media presence. What what's the real difference for a player?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little bit of everything. Like you mentioned, it's the baseball is still baseball. You have history, you have accolades, things that the team has done in its history, Like what do you be done more recently? How much money you get to spend every year? You know, are you homegrown? Are you out there trying to get players in free agencies? So I think expectations, I think a fan base that they're all very passionate no matter where you're at. It just it could be anywhere from promotional stuff and everything in between. I really don't I can't put a finger on it. But at the end of the day, it just has a different feel from time to time teams come in. There's you know, when you're playing a Yankees Dodgers series, it just has a.
Speaker 4: Media or to it.
Speaker 2: I think more than anything I would say if I would really change my answer, it would just come down to like what the media portrays the series to be, because it's always hyped up more than it needs to be.
Speaker 1: Before we get to some pirates stuff, did you think there was any chance you would land with the Yankees again? And would that have been weird? We saw you popping up in some trade rumors there too.
Speaker 2: Sure there was a part of me that was possibly envisioning what that would look like, but at the end of the day, it's so far fetched you can never put your finger on Itbviously, the trade deadline works in mysterious ways, So coming to Pittsburgh was definitely not on the radar. But you know, at the end of the day, I'm where I need to be, and I'll figure it out and adapt and try to make the best of it and impact the way I can. And I'm actually excited being here and seeing what these guys provide and what the future holds for them.
Speaker 5: Now, just trying to give people a little glimpse into the trade deadline. Did they give you any type of heads up that you were going to be traded or any kind of inclination, And now moving on from the Mets kind of can you explain what kind of what did from your point of view kind of what went wrong kind of or what was going wrong there with the season so far, because you guys always have the roster there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a little bit of a heads up. You can obviously see how it's being discussed in the media, whether you want to see it or not. People talk, you see things by accident, whatever. But there was good conversations, you know, Stearns and I have a conversation, was quick and understanding that being there was the priority.
Speaker 4: But things happen in our.
Speaker 2: Business and we have to, you know, see what what comes about, what teams are pushing and what the what offers are available, and so just understanding that process. Have been traded twice eighth team now, so I truly get it like a lot of people do.
Speaker 4: And so you know, I got a little.
Speaker 2: Heads up earlier that day that it might be happening, and you know, you got to figure out how to dot the eyes and across the t's whatever business people say. But at the end of the day, you know, I locked in and here we are. But to the second question with the Mets, yeah, I just it's a great team. It's a lot of great people over there, young players, veteran players, like it's not a team that should on paper, you know, put out the way it was. I think the real the realization of putting together chemistry of a team and trying to have a lot of new faces, some turnover, and just expecting that all to come together at once, you know, is an expectation that you want to happen, and we all believe that would happen. But it's not always, you know, the truth of the matter, and things take time. You know, there's great teams that are built together on one year, but very rarely do you see in sports that it just comes together all at once right away. And the messhine as you've seen of late, you know from from Afar now that I'm watching, they're playing some good baseball.
Speaker 4: And they happen, and that's just a matter of timing.
Speaker 2: It's a matter of whatever you know, baseball brings to them that given day, anybody can get hot. We've seen it multiple times from teams like the Red Sox and the Phillies right now. So you're just trying to get on a heater when you can. And when you're doing that and the conference is high, you just never know where it takes you.
Speaker 3: Luke, Let's let's go to some a little better. Let's go to the Pirates or new team. What have they told you when you came up? Do they leave you alone when you first come over. Does their pitching coach, their pitching department come to you right away and say, hey, Luke, we've noticed system. You're having a hell of years. So if I was in I'd just be saying, just keep throwing that little cut of your throwing, don't walk anybody. You're not giving up any hits. Let's just do it that way. Or do they come with you to you with little tweaks.
Speaker 4: No, they've been great. They've let me do my own thing.
Speaker 2: They've let me adjust into their system and just we've had to sit down just going over normal stuff.
Speaker 4: The way I think, the way I'm.
Speaker 2: Going pitch to pitch, just my process and it was probably me me talking more than they were.
Speaker 4: But just trying to get familiarity.
Speaker 2: And I'm always at the point where I'm at right now, like I've just learned everything about myself in this game and continuing to just sharpen I guess my iron and being able to just tweak here and there. So I try to be transparent, make sure we have an open dialogue, and when I have questions and things that are any yellow flags, they're leading to red flags, I want to know immediately. So that's been a really good conversation that we've had, and it's been very minimal, but there's been, let's see, strategic conversations that aren't you trying to change much of me.
Speaker 4: It's just trying to get better any day that I can get better.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydration. I need to make sure it's convenient. That's why I choose quins.
Speaker 1: Yep quints electrolyte stick packs to the rescue krats. They taste great and the zero sugar options are Stevia free. They're Keto approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice, and like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At twenty dollars for thirty servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i ncee dot com slash f o u L for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, that's that's smarter them. By the way, I mentioned your cutter, did you make some tweaks to it other than throwing it more this year? Because it's basically been unhittable by everybody.
Speaker 4: Well, Jay, let's try to keep it like, keep it that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, we don't tell you, man, I'll take that back. We're not gonna talk about it. Okay, we'll take it back. Just kidding on.
Speaker 2: What I did was Yeah, So that's been a real fight for me. Uh, it's always been a fight spinning. Spinning pitches is just not really been the love of pitching and the love of it's given back. It's always just been a love hate relationship. And so twenty twenty four I really erupted with that pitch and just found a good feel for it and used it all over the plate and just helped bridge the gap to both sides of the plate. Last year it became real silent because it was just had a lot of carry but no cut, so it just felt like a really a wonky fastball, you know, something that was a little less v low and something that was a little bit straighter or just flat.
Speaker 4: So I avoided that pitch at all costs.
Speaker 2: And then this year I was just really relentless in my pursuit to find something that was going to bridge the gap again and played around with different grips. I think I ended up landing on like some type of slider grip that would be like a normal slider for somebody else, but for me, it's still like it's kind of a cutter profile.
Speaker 4: And it really came down to just if I can make.
Speaker 2: This ball move left just a little bit, then I have I'll have complete trust and knowing that I can use it the way I want to. And I think that's really shown up against right handers and no left handers. It's been a little less on the usage. I need to kind of maybe pick that up. Maybe maybe not. I don't know hitters, uh, But at the end of the day, I think that's been the huge the huge jump of getting back to that pitch is just getting something that I know could move.
Speaker 3: Luke, you played for the Yankees. Okay, they had a guy that only threw cutters pretty much his career. Couldn't you pick up the phone and call Mariano and just say, MO, show me how to throw a cutter.
Speaker 2: You know you know this better than anybody that it doesn't just work like that.
Speaker 4: It's not that he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't, but he showed me once how to throw a cutter, and he just he just said, take a force.
Speaker 4: And you throw his arms.
Speaker 3: And just rip it.
Speaker 2: Next do you throw at his mindset? Do you throw it with we The one thing that I've learned about that.
Speaker 3: Hard, Luke, it's easy. The fans just it's so easy to pick the ball up just do it.
Speaker 2: Hey, when your heartbeat is out of your chest, you're in over your head on the mound in a hard situation, and you're telling me just throw the ball like Mariana Rivera. Yeah, I guess it could be that easy, But the problem is is it's not. And I have too much going on to think of that it's going to be that easy.
Speaker 4: So no, I've tried.
Speaker 2: I mean i've I've seen his grip, I've done research on and I've I think as players were always trying to find what guys or to our teammates or people around the league are doing exceptionally well, and we copycat it to some extent, or at least we give it a shot. It doesn't always fit, you know. It's just different releases, different ways we get through the ball, the mechanics, the timing. Like, there's just some limitations that happen in our game that don't allow us to achieve the results that we want. So that is the beauty of our game, the challenge of it, and what makes everybody unique in their own little way.
Speaker 3: Okay, Luke, I got to ask you this because every guy has a superstition. It's coffee, or it's I got to get dressed a certain way, or I have to eat but wade bogs. I'd eat chicken before every game. You drink orange juice? Is that because you're from DeLand and all there is orange groves out there? Why is it orange juice for you? Uh?
Speaker 2: Man, you've been you've been reading, you're watching, or someone slipped you a note.
Speaker 4: Well, who doesn't like orange juice?
Speaker 2: First of all, let me preface it and say, if you don't like orange juice, like, it's such.
Speaker 4: An easy thing to love.
Speaker 2: It's good for you. It's it's nutritious, it's it tastes good, it looks cool. I mean you can put ice in it. You can put you can make it with drinks. You could do it. It's a it's just like a number one overall pick type thing. But in reality, to your question, I would say orange juice is just it's one of those things that fuels the brain. It helps, you know, jump some glucose in there. It helps give a little bit of energize mental health, mental clarity.
Speaker 4: It tastes good again, and you could drink it throughout the day.
Speaker 2: And I'm just trying to gain any edge I can, so I'll be down there in the bullpen, sipping on some orange juice, throwing in a couple of you know, gummy bears, and then just ready to go rock.
Speaker 3: Alright, So you're either trying to get a sponsorship from Trampicana minute man, I don't know. Florida.
Speaker 2: Florida's Barlida Natalie is a good brand. That's a good brand, that that tastes good, it's got a it's good family operated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't look. Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe maybe I'm in.
Speaker 2: Over my head and I'm I'm too naive to think that my intentions aren't as pure as I think they are.
Speaker 4: But uh, when people ask I I think we know.
Speaker 2: By now, like I filter my question or my answers somewhat. But it's not like a robotic, you know way that maybe most guys might just play it safe.
Speaker 4: And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: That just tits to come out sometimes and it's typically because it's probably sitting right here across the desk, hidden behind the backside of it.
Speaker 3: Do you have a juicer? Do you have a juicer? So you know how stars have their little so when you go on the road, when you go on the road, do you have, do you tell the hotel, you tell the traveling secretary there, Hey I need freshly squeezed orange juice or juicer in my room or do you carry one with you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, my wife had ordered me like a delivery of orange juice when we were just sen La to the hotel because I don't really quite not operate at that at that level.
Speaker 4: But and then the team dietist nutritionist dietician has upgraded orange juice options that get sent to the field for everybody's use, not just mine. But I think there's I just keep telling them, if we want to be elite, we gotta we gotta take an elite things. We gotta do elite things. That's it.
Speaker 1: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul. I like that your nickname, high quality name.
Speaker 3: OJ. He'll cut you up with this cutter, with this connor, okay, with us cutter.
Speaker 4: Are you going to settle for filtered tapwater?
Speaker 2: Are you going to try to go in the you know, the mountains of the Himalayas and the Elastin Grace Glacier and just drink something pure like it's just it's gonna be different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of got a point. We're in Florida, we do. Yeah, you are from Florida, so you do have to understand that we did produce Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean if you're just not trying to be elite. That's okay. Not everybody's trying to be elite, but some of us are, Luke.
Speaker 3: You know what I was elite at McDonald's.
Speaker 4: Was pretty solid. So particular.
Speaker 3: It was a different time. Look, it was a different time. We had ice cream, We had all these cool things in the club out.
Speaker 4: They won't let you eat ice cream these days.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm not gonna name names. I'm not saying now when I'm not putting a time period on. I'm just saying, baseball's got a little more strict on the diet stuff, and I'm like, look, as a guy who is just pushing every day for every calorie, please don't allow this to be a thing for me, Like, just let me spread my wings.
Speaker 4: I'm a peacock.
Speaker 3: Hey here, I know I think can't playing swampiero, Luke if I I played with Wampier for multiple years. Shredded, Shredded, that was your favorite player?
Speaker 4: Yeah, favorite player growing up, one.
Speaker 3: Of the greatest dudes of all time. Shredded. Okay, like Shredded eate twelve ice cream bars a day. I've never seen it. He'd ate four ice cream bars and go out there and run a hundred sprints and come in and eat more. I ate more ice cream bars for the game. And I'm like, if I look like I'd weigh four hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: That sounds like that sounds like a friend of the program Tommy Canley.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, that man was freaking.
Speaker 4: Ruthless and he just and he go throw his change ups and call it day.
Speaker 3: Yea helmet.
Speaker 5: I just wear my hat with the helmet like one because of that. Oh no way, that's so cool the longest time. Yeah, can we wish this man happy birthday?
Speaker 4: Too? Oh boy, happy belated birthday. Thank you.
Speaker 2: We're researched. These guys are unprepared.
Speaker 4: They're not trying to be elite.
Speaker 3: By the way, it was Wan Pierre's birthday fourteenth, so not that long a ten days ago.
Speaker 1: Too Well's birthday. Wait, why wasn't Luke Weaver an all star?
Speaker 3: Luke?
Speaker 1: Can we finish with that?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 7: I've just because they didn't wrap fifty staves, you don't get love. And I did my piece on this and was saying, like specific guys that would get picked over you because of how many saves they have. And I know sometimes guys get picked that aren't closers, but often the you know, set up guy or the fireman or whatever gets overshadowed by a closer, even though we're trying to value a player like that just as much. So I have I have to go there, man, I was like, this is.
Speaker 2: The appreciated look. I wanted to say something on that real quick. I I appreciate it. I think I've come to the conclusion that this game is obviously hard. Winning and and trying to achieve things that we all want to as a player is really hard.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of a lot of it's out of our control.
Speaker 2: Like you said, there's a lot of stipulations and things that go into.
Speaker 4: It that that create those those results.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm finally at a place where I just I do care, but I don't care anymore, right Like I'm my my goal right now is to like try to serve my teammates, try to like make an impact, try to you know, full circle this whole career.
Speaker 4: And try to make something impactful out of it.
Speaker 2: And so those things, yeah, they bother you a little bit because that's why we play, you know, beyond other things. But we want to have recognition for the hard work we put it into, and they make it very important to have those labels. But I'm at peace with it, like it is what it is, and I'll play the rest of my career however long that is, and I don't need those things in order to to to.
Speaker 4: Feel like I accomplished something.
Speaker 2: I do feel like there's moments where, you know, I do like I played well enough to earn some of those things, But if it's not in the cards, not in the cards, and I think that other people can deserve those things and be happy with them. But I'm all good, So I appreciate that. But it's taken a long time to finally come to peace of that and just be like, that's just part of this, is part of how it goes.
Speaker 1: That's fair. You can't control it, so you might as well just enjoy the ride.
Speaker 3: By the way, Do you miss Devin Williams? You were with him forever? Do you miss Devin? Do you call him every day?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mess big D. That's why I call him big D. Yeah, No, I'm he got a little emotional. I'm not gonna lie. I don't want to call him out, but I know we.
Speaker 4: Were just as tight as friends as you could possibly be.
Speaker 2: And I'm you know, but we were good friends and we you know, we went through in the last couple of years together and he's just a good dude.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He's a great pitcher, and obviously I wish him the best on his health with this recovery of the injury. But he's gonna be He's gonna be great. He's going to continue to do his thing. And I don't know what you're looking for on this. It's just them being the greatest guy ever.
Speaker 3: I just want it was a legitimate question. I played with guys. They went and then you leave them, and then you're like, man, I kind of miss hanging out with this dude, because especially you guys are in the bullpen every day. You guys are on different teams. You guys signed free agent deals to be with each other, right, I mean that was a legitimate question.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Well you know, look we uh you for him? Yeah, you form some good relationships. You know, bullpen guys come and go all the freaking time. It seems like there it's a revolving door.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The next thing, you look this guy through three innings and he's not there the next day. But yeah, you have the guys that have signed and they're kind of staples down there that you go to war with every day that you're trying to pick each other's uh bases loaded or a couple of guys on mess and just give him a big old hug, maybe not a kiss, but you know, we don't go that far. But at the end of the day, I will miss him. I'll miss guys like Brooks, Ralia Mentor and you know, the guys with the Yanks all the things.
Speaker 4: Man, you just but you get to see him across the field and.
Speaker 2: You get to compete, and it's just an added list. And thankfully I'm already married for a while, so there's not a bigger list growing for some type of wedding and where the but then there would be.
Speaker 4: More presents and stuff which I wouldn't tell them about.
Speaker 1: But well, it was like Lucas Juli, Renaudo Lopez.
Speaker 3: They went from my team to team to team with each other.
Speaker 1: It was cool, like randomly they would get traded or in the same trade or whatever. They just kept ending up in the same spot. So you guys add that for a couple of years there, but Luke. Great catching up, dude, Thanks for the time, if you enjoyed it. On a wild ride.
Speaker 3: Quick question, what do you think Florida State's record will be in football this year? Well, they win, but they'd be over six and six. This is this is leg This is.
Speaker 2: A serious questions for everybody goes through growing pains, and yes, am I showing up to any of these games?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. I mean they're not They're not trying to be elite. I mean, you know, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: You go from being spoiled and and you know, going to school there with Jabu Winston and winning Natty Champs and then hucking in on the field and watching them getting pickles on the baseball path and you know, just doing crazy stuff. But yeah, I mean, I guess we'll shoot for five hundred a j I don't know, like what's the expectation anymore.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. They're projected six and six.
Speaker 2: You know, and got Yeah, I don't know, but either way, you know, we'll just focus on the baseball side.
Speaker 4: I don't know where basketball's at.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I think we got a great golf golf. We got Miles Russell and Charlie woods that are committed.
Speaker 3: Congratula Florida State. Florida State is a golf school. Congratulations. Yeah. Yeah. And the us AM kid, the kid, I think you finished second in the us AM Miles Russell.
Speaker 4: Miles Russell, they had Lefty. Yeah, just two top dogs.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I might be out there walking the course with Tiger just hey, you know it's you draw chip it or do you cut? What do you what are you doing with the hands? You know it's the body good. You know's we'll chop it up, We'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta go back, all right. Luke, do your thing. Man, Thank you so much for all the Shenanigans. Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, thank y'all. Have a good one.
Speaker 3: Thanks you too.
Speaker 1: That's Luke Weaver of the Pirates. We've got the Pirates show. Josh Harrison, Noah Hiles and platter T running point on Bucco Territory. More on there. They're great.