Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contains spoilers for season two of Batman Cape Crusader episodes one through four, just the first four one. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Knight, and welcome back the extra vision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, colleges, have pop culture. Cow You from my Heart, We're We're breathing you three episodes.
Speaker 2: A weeks blusters.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we're back in the steampunk inspired nineteen forties noir drenched world of Batman Cape Crusader.
Speaker 4: Bruce tim is back.
Speaker 3: He is executive produced once again by JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves of the Batman fame, with some.
Speaker 4: More Batman cartooning.
Speaker 3: But the question is Jason in a post X Men world, in a post Batman Cape Crusado season one in an invincible era?
Speaker 4: Do these episodes stand up?
Speaker 3: What do we see in them? How do they reimagine the characters? That's what this show has been really famous for. That's what we're going to be digging into on those first four episodes.
Speaker 2: So if you've not watched the first four episodes.
Speaker 3: You might not want to listen or you might and then go check out the episodes and see what you think.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with episode one, Brute Force. It's wonderful to have Cape Crusader back. I will say, I'm kind of a surprise. It's a little bit of a dead summer TV zone. I've transitioned to brainless reality TV to just kind of smooth everything out. So it's been nice to have this along with X Men ninety seven to kind of carry us through.
Speaker 3: It's very classy too, like everything saye yeah, I feel like I'm like, oh, I'm watching some real TV.
Speaker 4: Here tells you about the quality of television that I.
Speaker 2: Watch that this is.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wow, this is prestigious.
Speaker 1: No, but it does feel classic, you know, because.
Speaker 2: It the money is that you can see the money on the.
Speaker 1: Screen, and you know, it obviously brings back that feeling of the original Batman, the animated series. So there is like a it's like when they reissue you know, like a car and a classic silhouette or like uh yeah exactly, or they make a digital camera so that it looks like an analogue camera. It's like there's something kind of classic and classy about it. Start with episode one brute force. Rupert Thorne is on trial, yes, and for once it looks like the state's got something on him. There's an accountant named Julian who has and this is like an absolute ripoff of the Untouchables.
Speaker 4: But that's fine, it's so funny. Homage Jason an homage.
Speaker 1: An accountant named Julian has a photogaph graphic memory, so has seen all the books and has all the dirt on Rubert Thorn. I will say, like, is this actually admission? I guess if you could scientifically.
Speaker 3: Prove right, Yeah, you have to prove that he has an idetic memory, and you could test it on multiple things, multiple things, and then you believe that the Gotham Police Department has done that.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, Like, I don't know how much juice they've got for that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But it's very much in the realm of this show where they're kind of always asking you to have plausible deniability, but and also not just about like characters like this where it's like, oh, this is a magic thing that he has. It's not, you know, identic memories are real, but like it's probably an admissible in a court of law, but at the same time, they're also giving you, like this really weird version of the Riddler that's like not at all you know a Riddler. So it's kind of that interesting swinging between what you know and what you don't.
Speaker 1: Well, this is calendar Man, isn't. Isn't Julian calendar Man?
Speaker 2: Julian Gregory the character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the actual named character is him. So that's what I'm saying, is like, actually, I'm gonna ask about this because aboo kind of actually is. But in the pre pro this grounds a lot of those kind of outrageous character Yes, and we get that with this version of the Riddler, who's tided.
Speaker 2: How do you feel out Its kind of.
Speaker 3: Gangster like, you know, kind of more grounded, less sixties outrageous, kind of leaning into the silliness.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: I think that they I think it was important for the show to establish a tone that is not only in keeping with your original series, but grows on it. And I think the doubling down on as you described, the kind of like steampunk gangsterism, I.
Speaker 2: Think is the right of lots of Tommy guns.
Speaker 1: Yes, Thorn's henchman want to kill Julian before he can testify, and Batman ends up saving his life in order for him to be able to talk. In the b plot, Edward Nigma, Yes, Thorn him ever heard of him?
Speaker 2: Who is?
Speaker 1: Thorn's kind of like guy like lieutenant Like.
Speaker 4: He's like this bixa.
Speaker 3: He like he gets ship done for him. He sorts out problems.
Speaker 1: Pre Riddler is what I'm getting here? Right, This is like before.
Speaker 3: He's sure because the color palette is all there, so I wasn't sure that they want you to know it's him. But I don't think this is a Riddler who's like going around doing puzzles to Batman yet, right.
Speaker 1: He has not like developed that part of his repina. He's just kind of like, yeah, he buys a stolen formula off Hugo Strange and to see him crazy, you love to see that and puts it straight into his most loyal soldier does and des turns into the Hulk.
Speaker 3: Basically yeah, like this kind of monstrous Solomon Grundy Hall like.
Speaker 1: However, Thorn beats the rap, absolutely remains calm, cool and collected through the entire trial, walks out of Freeman, but then he is poisoned by the Joker, and that we get it and our first introduction to the Joker in this series, and it is voiced by the actor who plays Lara Strong and how Old Dragon, Matthew need Him in a wonderful kind of low melodious kind of voice that I found quite delightful. Your thoughts on this opening episode of Batman Cape Crusader.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I do feel that this episode does struggle with one of my ultimate issues, which is post Christopher Nolan Batman. There has long been an argument that you can tell it, you know, oh, it would be a great movie without Batman. That's what they always say about his films, right, I'm like, and then, what do you mean it's not a Batman movie?
Speaker 4: Then? I do fear that this I love Hamish.
Speaker 3: Link later Batman voice. I think that's great voice casting.
Speaker 4: I fear that.
Speaker 1: He's a little too strained for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just fear that he's not enough of a presence in the show and in this in this episode in a way that feels like really important. But I did love this kind of like new romantic, like handsome, you know, suave Joker with this kind of like bernhuzal gest voice, like done by Laris Strong, which I just love so much, Like what a legend coming off a crazy season of you know, House of the Dragon, Like this.
Speaker 4: Is a really good place.
Speaker 3: I would say something that I think is really interesting to compare this to X Men ninety seven, right, which is like my complaint about the first episode of X Men ninety seven wasn't very accessible. Now I do fear I may have monkey paused myself, and this is almost like so accessible, right because I wouldn't necessarily if you just this is the perfect cartoon, and I do mean this in a complimentary way. This cartoon can be syndicated for a million years and you will just turn on this episode and you can watch it and enjoy it, right, Like you don't really need to know the cannon. It's a great like just random episode. Is that your first episode of your Amazon Prestige TV second outing?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I don't think this is.
Speaker 3: One of its strongest episodes from what we've seen every first season, but it is, like I do think that you make a good point.
Speaker 4: The tone setting is quite like hardcore.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, I've found this. You know, it's hard not to trusted with X Men ninety seven because both are on the air at the same time and both have kind of, like to me, opposite strength and opposite problems X Men ninety seven. If it has a weakness, it is there's too much meat in the sausage. Yes, and I think that, And I think Batman Cape Crusader there's maybe not enough meat in the sausage. And also agree and also to your point the Hamage link later. First of all, let me just say, Matthew Needham, I do love the kind of like almost like joy Division esque.
Speaker 4: Right saying like euro Goth. Yeah, that's cool, you know, like it.
Speaker 1: Dripping his voice kind of like dripping with different tones. I like that quite a bit. Hamish link later it's it's I needed to grow on me. The Batman part of it. I think the Bruce Wayne part of it is good.
Speaker 4: Yes, agree, he's a good birth rate.
Speaker 1: The Batman part of it feels too influenced by Batman voice kind of in ear quotes. It is a little too strained from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need it to put like his crazy midnight mass voice on it, like come on, we've seen you do some crazy shit, Like let's go, let's get it extra weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it just feels like there needs it hasn't been seasoned enough. We gotta let it cook a little bit. And overall so far a little bit light of an episode.
Speaker 4: But I'm into what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But also as well, like I'm saying, is like the one thing I can't deny is just the quality of the anime.
Speaker 4: It looks like that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Is like put it on your nice HD TV, watch on your laptop, however you are, your iPad, whatever you however, you enjoy watching things and just enjoy the definition on.
Speaker 4: The line weights, Yes, enjoy how straight the Joker's hat is, you know, just enjoy like the the artwork as adults.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that you know, a six year old is probably I loved bugsy Malone when I was a kid, so I guess a six year old might really be into like Tommy Gunn Edward Nigma.
Speaker 2: Who what do I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, moving on to episode two, and I'm doing this off the top, So if I'm getting anything wrong, Rosie, let me know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we.
Speaker 1: Meet Lucius Fox. He is guiding Bruce through an upcoming like in potential investment into Triad Industries. Triad Industries has been working on something called Ultrium, which I absolutely loved.
Speaker 4: I love a name like that.
Speaker 3: As also this is like again I do want to say they're having a lot of fun here with the comic book stuff, because like the guy who's the CEO of Triad here is like from these old detective comics villains called the Terrible Trio.
Speaker 4: So they're having this.
Speaker 3: Like really silly kind of fun deep dive but reimagining it.
Speaker 2: And we get more of that.
Speaker 3: I mean even the episode name is Red Rockets Glass, so if you can probably imagine what Batman the animated series, they're gonna reimagine. But yeah, me and Jason love Our favorite thing about Avatar is unobtainium.
Speaker 4: Come on, you can't obtain it. Like that's a fucking hilarious.
Speaker 1: So Ultraam is like a super rocket fuel but absolutely green, like completely clean, I mean with with energy per like micro leader or whatever, but like burns very clean. Yes, so a super fuel. The company is obviously absolutely thrilled about this, and they're talking about oh my and you change the world blah blah blah blah blah. And now there is the slight complication that their lead scientist doctor Roxana Sutton.
Speaker 3: Yes, who if you are a big fan of the original series, that's roxy Rocket, right, So they're doing their reimagining here of the DC universe character Roxy Rocket, who in the comics, I mean, in the original animated series was like a villain, she was an antagonist, but here it kind of is more like she was the good one who invented it and who had some kind of morals at least at some point.
Speaker 1: So sadly doctor Sutton, who spearheaded the kind of experimentation and production of Ultrium, has conveniently passed away under mysterious circumstances. We don't know what happened. And the three you know, executives who are walking Bruce and Lucius through this, through the portfolio or like, you know, sadly she's dead, but like we've got the product, like.
Speaker 3: We know that, Like she died in a mysterious accident. Don't worry about that. It was the detective.
Speaker 1: Of course, Bruce wants to know more under his guise of the Cape Crusader, and so he's like, you know, let me take a closer look, and he discovers in dramatic fashion than actually, doctor Sutton is not dead doctor Sutton. It is revealed through a gunfight in the corporate headquarters of Triad Industries. Is rocksy Rocket.
Speaker 3: Could you believe it, guys if you've watched the original anime series.
Speaker 1: That's right, And the Triad actually wanted to just kind of like steal the tech which she had significant which she has significant concerns about, and sell it without ever addressing those concerns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they basically wanted to.
Speaker 3: It was a Tony Stock type situation, like they kind of reimagine her hair in a situation where she doesn't want.
Speaker 4: To sell.
Speaker 1: Weapons steel energy to weapon.
Speaker 4: Stealers and terrorists and all the shit that they're going to sell it to.
Speaker 1: So there's a big series of fights. She derails a train in order to kind of like prove her point. Batman runs her down. There's like an aerial dog fight, and and once he figures out wait a second Roxy Rocket Doctor Sutton gasp is her face is partially revealed. Uh is by the way one may Maska wonderful? Yes, it realizes that that she's the good guy. He switches sides, which is something you rarely see from Batman.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say right like he was actually moved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his randy in tendencies were gone. Suddenly I met somebody.
Speaker 4: She gets up nice, it's nice, black and white.
Speaker 1: This is actually it's a great point because the thing I enjoyed about this episode was Bruce's capitalist leanings were fully exploited by Triad industries. And it was not until he meets doctor Sutton in her Roxy Rocket guys and she proves to him that actually, like these are the bad guys. He is like, oh fuck, now, yeah, doesn't he doesn't interrogate his capitalist leanings deeply enough, right, it's only a surface kind of changing of sides based on really pure morality. I'm sure there's other corporate shenanigans going on elsewhere that Bruce is not really worried about, but here, when faced with it directly, he does change. So Roxy and Batman team up, they bury the company. The three suits all go to face charges, and uh and Roxy doesn't. Indeed, Spoiler does die.
Speaker 3: RP that she she sacrifices this. He ouf, yes, you know that's what you got to do. When you're an evil woman. You cannot survive, you can't have redemption. You just got to die. But it's okay because Batman like names a lab off the her because he is so inspired by.
Speaker 5: Her, so you know, he does the money to work, gives it, gives out the old lab, the Rox and Sutton medical lab or medical Bay or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that is there's not there's other weird stuff going on in Gotham.
Speaker 1: Back in Gotham and episode tag, Hugo Strange has turned up dead, tied to a chair, laughing maniacally. I wonder what could have Someone has raided his lab and walked off with all of his chemicals and various secret formulas. We don't see who it is.
Speaker 4: But this we know.
Speaker 3: I know, but I gotta ask you, Jason, because this thing pursed up conversation.
Speaker 4: It's like is it is it somebody trying to set up the Joker?
Speaker 2: Or is it the Joker?
Speaker 5: Because I feel like it's like it's a Joker. It's like so obvious. So I'm like, are they read herringing us? Or At this point by episode two, I was like, Okay, wait, who's stealing all the toxins? Like does the Joker need it?
Speaker 4: Like question?
Speaker 3: Bark?
Speaker 1: I love that read on it. Here's my why I do believe that it must be him because he hasn't been active long enough for the.
Speaker 2: Laughing oh in this universe, in this.
Speaker 1: Universe for the rigid smile and laughing death. The iconic method of murder of Infamous Joker has not been established yet, so I feel like it must be.
Speaker 4: No, you're right, it's like that establishing it now.
Speaker 3: But because of our outside like cultural context and dramatic irony, we understand it more than the people within the space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I believe. I really I thought this episode was a step up in particular because again, I can't remember a time that that Bruce switched sides and it didn't have anything to do with him trying to fuck Catwoman or poison Ivy or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's it's rare to see him have an interaction with a woman where he changes his mind that isn't driven by like sex or like feeling a diamond or whatever weird fucking faish as he's got going on. Also as well, I like Roxy Rocket is such a fun like animated series character. You always feel excited if you see the toy. It feels kind of rare. It's like a bit of a deep cup. But she's popular enough, so I think it was a fun reimagining and also again having fun with like.
Speaker 2: Who's a villain nowadays?
Speaker 3: Like if you're making a Terrible trio, they're execs of an evil tech company.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like it's it's obvious, but it's fun.
Speaker 3: And those tropes and those archetypes are good, and I think that we're at least getting more of an obvious kind of hint at what the overarching stuff is. I am interested because our super producer Aaron did say he thinks we haven't watched the second half yet, but he thinks the second half is better. I do. I do wonder if they maybe mistakenly thought they were like teasing to the second half, but maybe these are gonna end up feeling like Phila, even though they're fun, right, but we're kind of saying that kind of loose. They don't feel those very much like episode of the Week vibes.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, but I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see where it goes, and obviously I want to see more new wave Joker.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, so episode three deep Cover, Thorne is missing. He's dead, but nobody knows it except the Joker really yet, which means, you know, there's a gang war kind of brewing. Edward Enigma has taken his place and has kind of like grabbed the throne. Batman goes to a blackgay prison as Matches Malone, one of his like old aliases. Uh, he gets close.
Speaker 3: To legendary legendary like deep caught Golden as Batman reference that we love.
Speaker 1: That he goes in in order to get close to Mark Desmond Dez, the same henchman that Enigma juiced with strange formula, and he's there for a long time behind.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, seriously, like he's really living, like.
Speaker 1: Like he's he's over weeks, like.
Speaker 4: No one like came to help him. Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean, Bruce, he's like living.
Speaker 3: I mean what this is like a kind of funny series actually because it is this is like Bruce's adventures off.
Speaker 4: The res that's like like his what the fuck is going on? Like where's he going? Is doing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Where's Who's who's being Bruce Wayne? Like is like some sort was like is there like a clone know something like.
Speaker 1: Who's who's out on the town, you know, like whining and dining supermodels? Like what is it? I understand Luc's Fox is probably handling a lot of the day to day but like, could could you, as a is a billionaire industrial just drop off the map for like three, four or five weeks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you're like, can you imagine like the episodes of Succession, But it's just like no one knows where Bruce is and just at the end of every episode just cut to him in like some fucking shitty jail.
Speaker 1: It's honestly insane. I gotta say, Matches aka Bruce, Wayne and Dez really hit it off over the weeks. It's over the intervening weeks they become like boys.
Speaker 3: It was definitely giving like Vietnam movie, Like you know, I mean this is in trauma.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, if if each of these episodes, you know, is based on a film, so we have an an eighties film. So episode one is the Untouchables, Episode two is the Rocketeer. Episode three I think it's like Donnie Brasco or something.
Speaker 5: It's not so funny, Oh my god, because he's under cover.
Speaker 4: You're so right, it does.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Dez really likes him.
Speaker 3: And let's not forget when I read Donny Brasco and I remember being so upset when I read it, because the levels.
Speaker 2: Of betrayal that Batman enacted was.
Speaker 3: So awful, Like he was fucking being people's fucking god parents to their kids and shit, like, yeah, you're right, I like that read.
Speaker 1: So Edward Nigma gets nervous that that it does my talk and puts a hit on him inside Blacka. You know, despite everything that does is done for him, and Batman has to keep him alive, you know, long enough to you know, get him to test the finals. But it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: It's insane, dude.
Speaker 3: You remember those episodes of like Saved by the Bell where you go on two dates so you have to wear like two outfits and your lads. It's like, this is really giving that kind of energy. It's like, where's Batman, Where's Matches?
Speaker 1: A couple of guys Soma Nima does manage to get him killed, huh des right before the end realizes who Matches is, and it's like a little bit of like a scarred lip or whatever, gowy and and that's it.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: This was a super fun episode and my favorite of the bunch so far, just because of like the absolutely insanity to your point of like Bruce going off the res with.
Speaker 3: Like where, Oh my god, Like how could you be gone for just like months?
Speaker 4: Like this is insane? And also like what is the Ridler's plat? Like he just wanted just cause chaos?
Speaker 1: Like I guess I.
Speaker 2: Think it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's not very riddly to me, but I wonder if we'll get more in this second season like that, I mean it's not second season, sorry, second half of this season.
Speaker 1: He is very gangster coded, and it does feel influenced in a kind of roundabout way by the Penguin series, even though the Penguin obviously is more.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, I was actually gonna say this whole series to me, especially episodes one and three, very Penguin influenced.
Speaker 4: I think even the dark like murderous nature.
Speaker 3: Of the show and the ability to just constantly be killing people and have people be killed and have people be shot, there is a lot of gravitas to that, and the first season, the first original Batman animated series, definitely did play with that.
Speaker 4: But it's like extremely cool to see them deal with it.
Speaker 3: And like you said as well, like I think the passage of timing cartoons is actually a really powerful thing.
Speaker 2: I think a lot. I'm sure people on this have heard me.
Speaker 3: Say this before, but I think a lot about There's an episode of Invader Zim where Zim.
Speaker 4: Like dib throws a cupcake at Zim's head or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you watch the whole episode and it's about like Dibb's life and how good his life is and how everything goes right he catches Zim, and then at the end you watch him go with his whole life ninety years and then at the end it just reveals that it's been like fifteen minutes and that Zim trapped him in like a fucking room and made him live out his whole life. So I think like playing with the passage of time and kind of like how long is time?
Speaker 2: How long can you make time?
Speaker 3: Seem is a really really good tool and you really feel it, like I was legitimately worried about Gotham, like what has been going on? Like on My Guy, where like I don't know who's out there, like where's Stephanie or maybe we'll get some carry Kelly action, you know, My.
Speaker 1: Dream episode four The Devil's Do there's a murder and all evidence seems to point to Batman.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just need to say something, guys. Yeah, I need toward you.
Speaker 3: Slight spoiler Hair, This may or may not be the plot to my Raven story that's coming out, but I need you to know. I just got the art back for that, so I had already written it, just like they had already written it.
Speaker 2: We are just in a zeitgeist moment.
Speaker 3: But is my story maybe about Raven being framed by a cult murderer? Yes, maybe it is, but it was not to do with this episode though. I was honored to see that great minds think alike.
Speaker 1: So Batman is clearly being framed and kind of like loudmouthed radio personality Touch played by Personnel's Lorie Newman.
Speaker 4: Who you who?
Speaker 3: You may know if you are a fan of the Batman comics and Batman villain characters.
Speaker 1: Hattie is going hard on Batman's a murger and just won't let it go, you know.
Speaker 3: Full.
Speaker 1: Smear campaign on him, just going crazy. The public is swayed by this. Hattie apparently has tremendous reach and loves the radio. It is Yeah, whatever the fifties.
Speaker 4: Or whatever, sixties, it's the fifties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are on the radio mostly so Batman's got a got a pr problem. He needs to clear his name. He, to your point, gets involved in the middle of this like bat worshiping cult.
Speaker 5: By the way, just completely insane, not a tool when my Ravens story guy goes guys, so no orry about that.
Speaker 4: But I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it when I actually have to say, I do think Bruce Tim and the crew here, I do think they were purposefully leading to this reveal because everything is so grounded that you're just like, oh, hat e tech because the mad hat like she's just fucking framing Batman or whatever, and they're like, oh no, no, no, there's like a mad Monk bat cult and you're like, oh yeah, because that stuff does actually happen in the comics too.
Speaker 1: So this cult Barbatos is run by the mad Monk and they actually committed the murder. And this is just like absolutely fucking insane. Anyway, the cult believes that Batman is like a Avatar and icon.
Speaker 3: They're bat God, and there are people in the comics like who believe that about Batman. There's a great comic Batman Cult that you can read where you kind of see these kind of things playing into it. But yeah, really, it's just insane to see this sport to life on screen.
Speaker 1: So they have been like gathering blood I guess to like summon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they they want to get it through, like they want to get stolen treasure first, which is what they But if that doesn't work, they got lots of bloods so don't worry, don't worry.
Speaker 1: So Howie gets kidnapped along with Commissioner Gordon. They're gonna be sacrificed to Barbados or bar to the back god by Barbados, and of course Batman busts it up and clears his name and there you have it. A pretty yeah neat episode, pretty neat up and down episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's cool too because you also like get you. They also do a nice job at the end here because you know, you gotta have a little bit of puss. You gotta have a little bit of commentary on an episode where you have a cult leader in modern day, right, So they have this great bit of the end where the mad Mood is basically a scammer, right, He's like and it's kind of revealed that he's a scammer, and it's really tough because there's actually real and then you have this kind of really brutal ending where one of the followers like stabs the mad Monk to death when she realizes that it's fake, you know, And I just like yeah, like kind of crazy for a kid's cartoon.
Speaker 2: How dark This season.
Speaker 1: Is also like what Happened to Jail? That person goes to Arkham, which I get it because I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I mean Arkham is I guess it's like you've got Arkham or Blackwaad, that's your two options.
Speaker 1: Sound not to sound like one of those like New York Post right wing tabloids, but like soft on crime.
Speaker 4: Soft on crime. Look, I gotta be real, you know me, I'm laying them all out. I'm free at everyone.
Speaker 3: But it is inarguable that Gothham is not only soft on crime, it easily has the worst recidivism rates of anywhere in the world. Like, they just put you in Arkham, you break out two days later because the Joker has a fight with his boyfriend Batman, and then you're back in Arkham like three days later because you fucking got Joker tops in by your boss.
Speaker 4: Like it's a terrible system. It's not working for anyone.
Speaker 3: This is why the people are always asking what is Bruce Wayne doing for golf with those billions?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to a break and we'll come back and Rosie, you will tell us about some of the comic boles here and we're back. Some really deep cuts combined with some kind of new story framings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really fun stuff, which.
Speaker 1: Has been I think for me the most fun. Wuld tell us about some of these these comics cuts.
Speaker 3: You know, so we touched on like the Terrible Trio, right, like you see these exacts, but you guys don't understand this is from the incredible era, like the late fifties, right of comics, like the issues when they first appeared. One of them is literally like that there's a a fox mask, a guy in a shark mask, and a guy in a hawk mask, and those of a Fox, Vulture and Shark and those are their names, right, and it's literally like them trying to drown Batman, Like these are outrageous, silly, silly characters. By they're like Sheldon mold Off, like really outrageous stuff. But interestingly, there's been like other versions. There was a version where actually one of Lucia's Fox's kids was one of the Terrible.
Speaker 2: Trio, you know, it was.
Speaker 3: They've been used a few times throughout, but it was kind of cool to see like a serious version of them here. The biggest one that we didn't really touch on is that the kind of reinvention of the Mad Hatter, like his Hatti touch, which is this kind of looking at basically like the Mad Hatter character Jervis Teuch And that's a very classic crazy DC character again from like the fucking forties, so that's why you're looking. That's like Bill Fingershit, So that's like a guy who loved.
Speaker 4: In the original version, it really is that crazy.
Speaker 3: Like he just loves to make weird hats and he had like this kind of Over the years, they did a lot of problematically mental health stuff, but throughout the comics a regular recurring feature if you were a fan of the short lived Batwoman show, Alice was actually like a ma like the daughter of the Mad how was actually like a massive antagonist in that show. So it was cool to see that. I also kind of like the podcast radio kind of reinterpretation. Also, I would say that one of the things that for me kind of really works as we're talking our way through this is really just how the episode sort of build because.
Speaker 2: You when you're watching them.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I feel like I just turned on halfway through a series, right, But those kind of like and I think in a way bringing in characters like Rock Sansert and bringing in you know, Hugo Strange who is like a massive villain, so I think those sort of things are really fun. But also like Matches Malone that is a deep cut, deep cut for the fans. That's like, that's one of the first A like aliases he ever used. It's his fake criminal name when he's in the underground. So like they're doing a good balance of making it feel familiar but also kind of like you can still have fun, you can still google it, you can still go on you know, I hope you're all going on fan wikis and looking at all the great human made you know, histories of these characters, and it does feel like we're building to something, especially with the kind of small scale crime to big scale crazy that we get at. And where what do you feel like about these four episodes because I definitely ironically I'm now gonna go and watch them again.
Speaker 4: Because I'm actually kind of more into them now.
Speaker 3: We talked about it, which I feel like is how these shows are often best enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I found them, you know, like I did find them a little light. But I particularly like Deep Cover just for again the crazy, the absolute craziness of like Bruce going undercover as Matches Malone and saving his like you know, leaving leaving his life behind for weeks at a time. Uh. And to me, that's kind of the that end. It points a really interesting way forward for this show that when it's good, it pulls from both deep cuts in new and interesting ways. And I kind of like too that we're so early in Batman's career, you know again Penguin Penguin being and the Matt Reeves Batman universe being such an inspiration. There's you're getting to see, which I'm a sucker for ever since Batman Year one. The kind of retelling of the relationships between Batman, Bruce, Wayne Gotham and his and his cast of villains, and that's really fun in this particular context of a kind of steampunk gangster Gotham, it's quite enjoyable. And I will say, look, the one thing that I keep thinking is, like, man, they're so sure, Like it feels like the episode's over ten minutes earlier than it should be.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do agree with that, like you do want more of it, which I think is a really smart way for them to make us feel. I also will say that I'm hoping that the second half gives us like more Batman moments, because the thing is, I don't need like, Look, we're always going to see Batman doing a fight. He's gonna be in a dog fight, he's gonna be doing this. I need to see him doing I'm not saying slice of life. I've got my slice of Life Batman. I've got my Wayne Family Adventures. I love that shit. To the Teen Titans books by Cami and Gabrielle if I want that shit, But like I do still need to see Batman just like sitting.
Speaker 2: In the glow of a Christmas tree or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, you need to see Batman in those like silent moments, the moments he's drinking a coff of he's drinking a cup of coffee, or he's Robert Pattinson's Batman. He didn't have cozy quiet moments.
Speaker 4: He had. He's out, it's Halloween, he can't stop.
Speaker 3: He's crashing into bridges like I need to know a little bit more about this Batman, what drives him.
Speaker 2: What is his tone like.
Speaker 3: For now, he's a bit more of just an inspect which I think works in other people's stories.
Speaker 4: But I want to know more.
Speaker 2: About Batman this still. But I do love I love the.
Speaker 3: Eccentric and eclectic cast of characters, so I'm not I don't want it to be all Batman, but I think I need a little bit more Batman as we head into more of what is clearly going to be a Joker story, so I feel like Batman has to be an important part of that.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with that assessment. Well, I can't wait to keep watching this show. Super fun to your book, I'm gonna watch Younger probably finish it this weekend. Yeah, it's it's super fun and I can't wait to see more. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into the biggest news of the week, and next week it's our D twenty three coverage and what we expect to be a reveal of the full cast or the or at least the full core.
Speaker 4: Cast of the X Men Question X Men Question.
Speaker 1: We expect that to happen. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our Discord moderate them