Speaker 1: The volume. All right, Chad Milman's about to stop by. Before we start with Chad, grab your smartphone download the game Time app. It's a new feature called game Time Picks that makes getting tickets for your favorite live events even easier. Game Time Picks filters out the fluff to show you only the incredible deals on great seats, so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets. Take the guestwork out of buying concert tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app. Creat an account. Real quick code is Colin. That's me for twenty bucks off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account. The redeem code is Colin col N for twenty bucks off. Download game Time Today. What time is it? Game Time Immediate reaction. If you wonder why the NFL is king on television twenty seven to twenty tonight was a great example decided by that much a toe decides the game. Listen. Baltimore was outplayed for big chunks of this thing and almost almost tied it. They almost certainly would have gone for two in the win. And that's why Baltimore is so dangerous. You know. Lamar Jackson did not throw the ball down the field effectively, nor has he ever as well as Patrick Mahomes, although Mahomes did not throw the ball down the field much last year because it was one of the worst receiving cores in the league. With Worthy, now that's a deep threat. They've added some dimensions and over the top receiver Juju Smith Schuster will become more productive over time. He just got reacquired, so Watson Rice now where she Rice looks like a number one. Worthy's going to be a gadget guy early. I don't think he's a heavy volume guy, a nine to ten catch guy, but he adds an element they didn't have. He's an over the top playmaker. But it's interesting watching ball the more they had a lot of offensive penalties, especially early in the game. They don't throw the ball down the field enough. And then you get that final drive by Lamar Jackson, where I mean, honestly, he reminds me of like a great high school player where he's just so much better than everybody else on the field. He's like a high school football game and there's one D one prospect and it's the quarterback and he's just running around making all these plays. Happen. Lamar Jackson makes other great pro football players look slow and unathletic, and that's why I'll always defend him. He's not Mahomes and Peyton Manning probably wasn't Brady, you know, and Mickelson wasn't Tiger Woods, and Barkley was an MJ. Lamar Jackson is so productive. He cares so much. Now, I thought, my one real negative with Lamar Jackson you can't get hit that many times. I'm sorry, you can't last seventeen games in the regular season, two or three playoff games played like that. Lamar's lost weight, he's thinner, and he took a beating to Now I think this game means so much Lamar. He's not gonna slide, He's not gonna run out of bounds against Kansas City. So I don't think Lamar is going to play like this. This this sort of physical football game on average. But he took a beating tonight, and that Kansas City defense is fast and physical that you have to reduce. You can't play like that. But I will defend Lamar to the very end. He is such a remarkable player, you know. He just he doesn't throw the ball down the field consistently. But he finally has a really nice group of receivers. Isaiah likely is terrific. That's the football game and the fact that that guy went down in the back of the end zone. I thought he broke his ribs. I mean, he just slammed down on the corner where it's not you know, it's not padded very well, gets up and he's making plays. What a gamer.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I look at my notes over the course of the game. I think here's the really good news for Kansas City. Last year. It's often discussed right ad nauseum that receiving corse bad Rashi Rice was young. He felt like maybe a two. He felt like a one tonight. You know, now, is he a great one? Is he a top five to one? Is he see the lamb? Is he Devonte Adams? No, but he felt like a real go to, high volume, thirteen targets nine catch guy for them they have now, Noah, great, they've got a second tight end. Watson's around, Juju Smith, Schuster and again Xavi are worthy. You know, I joked when they drafted him, I'm like, he's a track guy. He's one hundred and sixty five pounds. You know, I don't think that he's going to lead them to the super Bowl, but he adds a dimension to an offense that since Tyreek Hill left, they don't have a downfield threat. So you know, for the longest time of the game, he just had that one, you know, reverse touchdown, but blown coverage later he gets a second touchdown and you have to account for him. You know, that's the bottom line. Last year, you didn't have to account for anybody. Nobody scared you down the field. Well, now they have a one in Rashie Rice. They have a downfield threat. They have multiple Watson, Noah Gray, Travis Kelcey. They've solved their weapons issue. For the record, how the hell did Isaiah Pichecko? What did he drop to the seventh round? How did they get him in the seventh round? That guy's insane. It's just it's amazing to me. You get to the fourteenth player in the NBA Draft, you're out of players. Rock Purty's the last gun I taken, and Isaiah Pichecko. I think he was a seventh round guy. God, how did all these gms watch film and just keep passing on him? He's impossible to bring down run so hard he can catch it out of the backfield. What a weapon he is. So Kansas City's weapons shortage, They're going to be fine there. And this is you're just looking at two great organizations. I love watching these two play. And there's a reason Kansas City keeps winning. Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes. You know, they led twenty to ten at one point. I kind of felt first half, I thought Baltimore was just kind of trying to find its footing. They weren't throwing the ball down the field. Second half, Kansas City, in that screen game, pulls away. I thought, you know, if you watch that game, you could say Kansas City controlled big chunks of it. And here comes Lamar just putting the team on his back, taking too many shots, running down the field, making big plays. The guy's just an al timer, just an absolute al teimer. But you know, sports is like this. You know, if you take Tiger Woods out, think how many tour events Mickelson wins. I mean, Philip, he had to have over like forty five tour wins. Didn't he take out one guy? Take out Barkley, and it changes take out MJ. It changes Barkley's career with titles take out John Elway's career, Joe Montana Brady. There's so many great athletes who we spend so much time criticizing because they can't beat the ledge. And I talked about that on FS one today. God Lamar is just so unique and so gifted, but he took a beating tonight, and you just can't play that way. A day with Baltimore and Kansas City each to night, all the weapons, all the talented players on the perimeter and running backs, I kept thinking, does Buffalo match up with these guys now that Stefan Diggs is out? Like I'm watching all these weapons for Kansas City and Baltimore, including their quarterbacks. You know who matches up in the AFC Houston. Houston's got these kind of weapons, adding Joe Mixonstefon Diggs, Tank Dell Nicocollins, c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 1: Like I'm both these teams tonight. I mean it's tight ends, it's wide receivers, it's slot guys, it's running backs, it's all time quarterbacks. You know Buffalo is I like cook a couple good tight ends, a rookie receiver. You know, Buffalo maybe what Kansas City was last year, and they may be weapons short. And that's why a lot of people, myself included, kind of like Houston. I mean, at some point last year may have been the year to beat Kansas City. That may have been the year. You know, they weren't going to have home field, They couldn't beat you in a track meet. They had the gate, keep the games pretty close and low scoring. Now this team's back to I mean again, this is Worthy's first game. What's xavierer Worthy going to do when week eight through thirteen we ten through seventeen. So last year may have been the year to get Kansas City. What a night. I chewed two pieces of my neuro gum to stay up tonight. I'm not messing around now. I may be staring at the ceiling at one in the morning. That was a beauty. Sometimes I feel so lucky to do what I do for a living. I'm sitting there tonight, I ordered door Dash, eating some Mexican food, and I'm sitting there watching that and I'm like, I mean, this is how good is this? Arrowhead Holmes read Harball Lamar Jackson, and I'll just say it again. Baltimore didn't play particularly well and it was this close, so you can sell all your Ravens stock. I'm buying it. I didn't think they played that well. I didn't think Lamar played that well. And he's driving him down against that incredible defense, you know, because of Reid and Mahomes, that Kansas City defense. It'll just never get the love. It is so fast, so twitchy, consistent pass rush, Chris Jones, edge rush, linebackers that move well. That's it where Baltimore probably goes for two and has a chance to win. When you don't play particularly well on the road and narrowhead and almost beat the Chiefs, I'd be worried these two will meet again. That's what it feels like to me. NFL Week one is here in a new season, means new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NFL. So fans have spoken they want to bet on touchdowns. Draft Kings hurt us. They're delivered DraftKings sports Books, the number one place the bet touchdowns. Ready to place your first bet, Try betting on something simple like picking a player to score a touchdown. Ready to do a touchdown dance of your own new Draft Kings customers bet just five bucks to get two hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly plus one month of NFL plus Premium on US. Download the DraftKings sports book at real easy ninety seconds. Use the code colin and the new code colin for new customers will get you two hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets betting just five and one month of NFL plus premium on US. Offer in September nineteenth only on DraftKings. The Crown is Yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, void in New Hampshire, Oregon. In Ontario, bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue and for additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG, dot CO slash ft Ball NFL Plus Premium offer available only to new and former NFL Plus subscribers. Additional NFL Plus premium terms at NFL dot com slash terms.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's time for another season of Sharp or Square. After quite a sabbatical, I am now working again on almost a full time basis. Chad Milman, C COO of the Action Network. The favorites, by the way, I have one thousand dollars pick them contests free to play. We'll get to that later.
Speaker 2: All the one hundred thousand, one hundred thousand, man, we're giving away one hundred thousand dollars. Wow, thousand, one hundred thous We don't do one thousand on the Volume podcast network. We're big time.
Speaker 1: All of our odds provided by DraftKings. I spent a lot of time this summer in uh, you know, in a place out east, very close to where you live. I played a lot of golf and during that time a lot of time to think about odds, and I almost did not do a first week of this. And my take has been the world's changed. All these sharps pick at these line one odds. They have all summer to pick at these puppies. Once they're available. This is a terrible week to bet. And then I look at the numbers this week and I'm like, they may not be the best, but I got a couple I like, and I'm gonna start with one of them that I'm being warned about. Arizona plus six and a half at Buffalo. I thought the Cardinals were a tough out at the end of last year. I think the last couple of drafts they've hit on some playmakers. I like Kyler Murray. I think he's hard to duplicate preparing for He's like nobody else in the league. He's like to me, he's a better version of Russell Wilson in his prime, and Russell was pretty good. I think Arizona plus six and a half is not only the play I think they could win Sharper square.
Speaker 2: Ish like of all the games they just I'm with you, brother, Like, I actually think there's a lot of opportunity in Week one. Arizona is a team. I'm not gonna lie to you. Wise guys love they think that in the NFC West. They love Seattle, they love Mike McDonald as a coach. They are really bullish on Arizona. This number actually clicked down got down to six. It was much higher even during the offseason. It's ticked a little bit back up. I think there was some over exuberance on the Cardinals. And don't forget, this is the kind of game that the Bills historically not just cover but dominate, right, And so there are so many unknowns in this game. Professional betters. They are going to lean towards underdogs in Week one, and that's going to be a theme for everything we're talking about. And I've got a lot of numbers to back it up for folks, but this one is trickier. I think it's six and a half. Yes, if it goes back down to six, probably, No, don't forget. Six has become a lot more of a key number with extra point sort of inaccuracy and inconsistency. So I can't give you a definitive. I can say if I got to play aside, I'm playing Arizona, but I don't. I don't think it's blazon by any means.
Speaker 1: Okay, that wasn't my best pick. I'm just throwing shit out.
Speaker 2: Good good, let's warm up. Let's just warm up.
Speaker 1: The one I really like is Carolina plus three and a half of the Saints. I think New Orleans is poorly quarterbacked and poorly coached. I think they'll be the first team to jettison their head coach. I think Carolina massive coach upgrade. If you look at the wide receiver nit last year worse than the league next to New England, They've actually upgraded, so starters are now backups and it's like, oh, mingo can be a three or four, not a one or a two. I look at Carolina, I'd go money line. I think they win this game straight out.
Speaker 2: Sharper square, dude, you are insu knife sharp right now. That is you have gone from kind of med mid as the kids like to say, to full on super sharp. Caroline has been a team that at the Action Network we have been hammering all off season. We have been hammering their season win total over that jumped up from four and a half to five and a half. We've been hammering their odds to win the division. Everything about this team last year, and you and I talked a lot about this in previous seasons. We do this thing called luck rankings. It's basically takes all of the randomness of football and puts it into a formula and then applies it throughout the season. Last year, the Panthers were one of the most unlucky teams in the NFL that is always bound to regress. In sort of very analytic terms, they won about a game and a half less than they should have based on the stats and the randomness of games. So now, all of a sudden, they've improved their offensive line, right, They've got a couple of new guards, They've improved at receiver, They've improved their coaching. Let's be very clear, Dave Canalis the new head coach, he was the head coach. He was the coordinator in Seattle when Gino Smith went from journeyman to pro bowler. He was the coordinator for Tampa Bay when Baker Mayfield went from journeyman to leading the team to the playoffs. Now, all of a sudden, he's got Bryce Young, who there's a lot of negativity about. That's why this line is so inflated. This line was at four and a half. It's gone down to four because wise guys are betting it. And you cited about the Saints. There was a survey before the seat, before we got the preseason, which fan base had the least optimist them about their team. It was the New Orleans Saints who has the shortest odds to be fired first Dennis Allen, who is hearing footsteps from Spencer Rattler right now Derek Carr. Dennis Allen and Derek Carr, in their respective positions as head coach and quarterback, are two of the worst against the spread of any grouping for the past twenty years. They are terrible as favorites, also just generally bad. Dennis Allen is historically bad as a head coach with the minimum seventy games, which is what he has. So you are spot on one stat for you NFL Division underdogs in Week one since twenty fourteen. So the Panthers as underdogs to the Saints seventy one percent against the spread, not only that they cover the spread by an average five points per game, which largely says I agree with you. You could take a little bit of a taste and I never mind this like a quarter unit on the underdog to win outright, all.
Speaker 1: Right, concern could be a monsoon. But Commander's plus three and a half at the Bucks. I think Tampa has to guess what Washington's doing. They have to go watch Arizona footage, LSU footage. Washington knows exactly what they are. Cliff Kingsbury banged the table for Jaden Daniels. Dan Quinn was a very good coach when he had the right coordinator. I think this coordinator. I talked to a GM that hired him, Steve Kayin. He said, Cliff is great. He said, I don't know if he's an NFL head coach, the discipline is an issue, but as an NFL coordinator or a college coach, he said, I would back him forever. This is a great role for Kingsbury. I think Washington's personnel's fine. Tampa's guessing. I think they pull back as a team this year. Tampa. I'm gonna take Commanders plus three and a half Sharper square.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sharp. I mean it's not the favorite. Like if I had eight bets I had to make this weekend. This is probably seventh or eighth, right, I will be playing the Commanders. But this team right now. I just talked about the luck rankings the Buccaneers, and you noted there's going to be some regression. The Buccaneers were amongst the luckiest teams in the NFL last year and the Commanders were one of the ten most unlucky. So just the gap between these two teams is reflected, I think in a higher than it should be points spread because of perception. Right the Commanders number two, number three overall. Pick the Buccaneers. They made the playoffs, they had a good run. They have lost important aspects of that team, specifically Dave Canalis Baker fourteen and twenty six in his career as a favorite. Everything about this game says take the Commanders, So the wise guys are with you.
Speaker 1: An interesting game. I don't like big favorites in the opening week, and I think bo Nix and Sean Payton are going to be excellent together compared to what the market predicts. I think there were a seven win team, not a four win team. Do not like him rookies starting Week one on the road against a very sharp maybe the next Demko Ryan's defensive coach Seattle. I like Pete Carroll last two years they underwhelmed. They have better talent. I mean offensively, it's Noah's Ark. Two receivers, two tight ends, two running backs, two tackles. I like everything. I think Seattle minus six is to play. This is a rough spot, and I like bo Nicks. This is a rough opening week. I take Seattle minus six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, that's the exact right spot. Historically, rookie quarterbacks on the road are just terrible. Rookie first round picks on the road average eighteen points per game the past ten years. It is not a good spot. There is a lot of professional better love for Mike McDonald. They loved the game plans he put together when he was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore. They are expecting a much better defense in Seattle. I think that's what you're seeing here is just a little bit of a difference in talent on the roster historically. Wise guys, they don't like to bet against Sean Payton that they like. Sean Payton is their favorite coach right along with Mike Tomlin. But Mike McDonald's in the spot like they look at him not as a rookie head coach in a lot of ways, the way that people looked at Tamiko Ryes last year. They got a lot of faith in what he can do. So Whise guys, you're with you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take Jets plus four and a half against the Niners. It's a noisy game the Baggage Bowl, but Trent Williams can't be in great shape. I do worry about Hassan Reddick not in camp because they lost Huff to the Eagles, but I don't worry too much about pass rush. I don't like the Niners offensive line, especially when Trent just gets back into camp. That feels like it's just too rich. I don't know if they win, but god, I don't get the line at all. I would take the Jets plus four and a half, sharp, square.
Speaker 2: Totally sharp. It's what's really interesting about this, Colin is since Trent Williams signed, the line has moved a full point from three and a half to four and a half. That's how much bookmakers and then the public betters believe Trent Williams was worth. They have steamed this line up, and wise guys are happy to take to four and a half. You mentioned the offensive line for to the forty nine ers. That's the weakness of their team, right And even with Trump Williams, who is probably the best left tackle in the NFL, they are able to mask that weakness because Kyle Shanahan's scheme is so good in the way he can move the ball around that they're able to get away with having an offensive line that is a little bit mediocre. The Jets have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL, and I agree with you about Hassan Raddick. The guy hasn't played for the Jets at all, so they don't really know what they're missing. And obviously Bryce hoff being gone is an impact, but they have a doubt defensive line. They will find a way to get to the quarterback against this offensive line. The wise guys love love the Jets in this spot.
Speaker 1: All right, another game. I never trust the Browns, ever, I love their coach, and I have real questions about the depth of Dallas's offensive talent. I worry about blocking Miles Garrett, But god, I know what I get from Dak and Mike McCarthy. I don't know what the hell I get with Deshaun Watson. I get Dallas plus two and a half. I'm gonna take them. I'm gonna take I'm gonna take the Cowboys. Sharper square.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sharp, but not a lot of conviction. Like it's not you know, I just said, there's probably eight best.
Speaker 1: My voice told you I didn't have a lot of conviction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have a lot of conviction. I'm actually surprised you chose it. I don't know if you feel like you got to talk about the Cowboys is like the lowest common denominator as a member of the meeting. But it's not a game that I'm excited about, like as a better for all the reasons you just said. I think the Cowboys are are the Houston Rockets circa twenty twelve of the NFL, right, a lot of talent. They're great in the regular season, fall apart when it matters. I'm not a buyer on McCarthy. I just don't think he's a very good coach. I think what you said about the lack of depth on offense is a real issue, and that's continued to be an issue for the past couple of years. Listen the Browns defense last year at home historic Miles Garrett. We just talked about Trent Williams being a line changer when it comes to moving the point spread. Miles Garrett is like that. Miles Garrett is the kind of defensive force from a betting perspective and from a line making perspective that JJ Watt was about twelve years ago. Book makers have to account for his presence with a point half a point in terms of the spread. But we don't know anything about Deshaun Watson. And also, I will tell you one other thing that I think is sticking out in people's minds. From a professional betting point of view. Bill Callahan is an offensive line coach genius, and he is one of the reasons why that Brown's team. They could lose Nick Chubb, they could lose any running back, get someone back in there, and anybody who's going to make that team produce. I love Kevin Stefanski too. He left. He went to the Titans to work with his son, who's now the head coach at the Titans. So I do think the wise guys are on the Cowboys, but no one's banging the drum, being like rushing the counter. I gotta get on the Cowboys right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one's painful for me to make because.
Speaker 2: I am really beast kind.
Speaker 1: I know, I really want to see the Bears flourish, and I think they will. But God, if the line goes to plus four for the Titans, rookie quarterback Titans plus the points you're shaking your head Sharper square.
Speaker 2: It's totally sharp. And look, it pains me as Chicago in as someone who loves this team so much and was weepy eyed watching all of the hard knocks stuff, seeing the team walk in and out of Hollis Hall, practicing in Lake Forest, the introductions, making it feel like this is the premier franchise in the NFL because of its history, even though we've only won one Super Bowl. Dude, this hype is just too much. I mean, it's still a team that has not breached five hundred and god knows how long. It's still a team with a rookie quarterback. It's now a team where if you want to bet on the Bear season win total, you got to bet that they're going to be over five hundred. A rookie quarterback in a division that has the Packers, who a lot of people think could go to the super Bowl, the Lions, who a lot of people think should be the number one seed in the NFC this year. Like, this is a lot And I know Caleb Williams says I don't get nervous before games, he should get nervous because this Tennessee team has improved at every single place they need to improve. They've gotten much better in the defensive backfield with Lugerious Snead. They've gotten better at receiver. They have improved their offensive line, not just in scheme and talent, but with coaching. I worry about the Bears in this spot, way way too much hype and enthusiasm. All right.
Speaker 1: We always end with a game that I missed, but also a game that I don't have the courage to bet, but I just want your opinion. Sam Darnold minus points on the road scares me, but god, the Giants are bad. Minnesota minus two. I think I'd swallow the two with Minnesota. Talk me in or out of that game.
Speaker 2: No, you don't want to swallow the two of Minnesota. You want to take the Giants and look, this one is divided. I'm not going to lie to you. Simon Hunter and I do the Favorites podcast on the Volume Podcast Networks. We will always do a segment called Sharp Calls where professional betters who listen to our show on Tuesday will call us on Wednesday and tell us everything they agree with, then everything they disagree with. It is the greatest peanut gallery in the world. When we did our Thursday show and we did the sharp Call segment, this was the biggest division was half the group was on the Vikings. Half the group is on the Giants. I feel like Simon and I are in a bit of a foxhole with this game. I like the Giants. I actually have bet the Vikings fifteen to one for the worst record in the NFL this year. Their schedule after they play the Giant Goal Niners, Texans, Packers, Jets, this team, if they don't win against the Giants, they could be winless when we get to the end of October. So I like the Giants. Here. There's some really important trends that we actually haven't gotten to yet that I think are really important. Underdogs between one and five and a half points in Week one since twenty eighteen covered a sixty four percent clip. It's a pretty big sample size for more than one hundred and fifty games, so and favorites of one to three and a half points cover only forty three percent at the time in September, So we've got pretty good trends when we talk about bettings weeks one, especially as you were discussing when we open the segment that show you why you can take advantage and why you want to bet underdogs. This is also a really interesting coach matchup to me right two years ago. These guys are the Bell of the Ball and day Ball wins Coach of the Year. Both of these teams are winning games that are less than one score games and they're winning them consistently. They play each other in the playoffs, day Ball and Daniel Jones going to Minnesota. They beat Kirk Cousins and Kevin O'Donnell, Kevin O'Connell, and so there's a lot of sentiment that Brian Dayball is a really good coach, and then last year everything falls apart for both of them. So I do think there's a little bit too much hate on the Giants right now and a little bit too much credit on the Vikings. Sam Darnold should not be a road favorite ever, He shouldn't be a road favorite in any scenario. He just shouldn't. So you got to take the Giants.
Speaker 1: Okay, finally a game I missed. I am betting you it's Colts plus the points. I know it's the Colt plus. The point is it of.
Speaker 2: Course it is. I knew, Yeah, it's one hundred percent the Colts plus I think you can get them plus three some places plus three and a half. Now this line was two and a half forty eight hours ago. The public is steaming in on the Texans and the wise guys are buying on the Colts, and look, it's a little tricky. Anthony Richardson has basically played like seventeen games a quarterback I know, since high school. I know, right, And then you got the Texans who look like they are all world. But I do want to give some context here. The Texans do not win the AFC South if Trevor Lawrence doesn't get injured. The Colts almost made the playoffs with Gardner Minshew playing the majority of the games last season. I think Shane steiken is a genius as a coach, and what he did with Minshew and what he was starting to do with Anthony Richardson is brilliant. And I think the level of play that the Eagles had last year on offense and what you saw from the Colts is a direct correlation between Shane Steikeen being an Indie and not being with Philly anymore. I think there's a huge advantage there also to repeat division underdogs thirty seven to fifteen and one against spread in week one since twenty fourteen. That's seventy one percent. This is a really good spot for the Colts against a overvalued Texans team.
Speaker 1: I want you to just give my audience something here, just entertain me and make my audience smarter. So I think the Rams the last two years, last year and this year are undervalued. But their old line is a bit of a musical chair situation. Sean McVeagh and Stafford getting three and a half against an average defense feels like stealing money. But I'm really reticent in this spot. I don't like their old line Hutchison had according to you know, all the Lion news. They're like, he's now the best defensive rush end of the league. He's just tearing it up. I look at this line, I think McVeigh Stafford plus three and a half. But there's something that tells me, stay away, educate me.
Speaker 2: Your instincts are spot on, and this was the hardest game. The other bet that we do on the podcast, it's called our Big Balls Bet of the Week, and it's the bet we know it's hard to make, but you one hundred percent have to have the courage to make it. This week it is the Detroit Lions minus three and a half over the Los Angeles Rams. And who likes to bet a favorite in any scenario, especially when I've given you all these trends. But here's the thing about these trends. Fifty eight percent, sixty one percent, What that really means is that, yeah, you're going to have an edge if you bet at long term. What I'm trying to do here is thread the needle and catch a falling knife, where the other forty percent of the time right, it doesn't work right right? And so look, I love the Rams and we have made so much money on the Rams the past couple of years because I do think Matthew Stafford is probably the most, if it's possible, the most underrated quarterback. He never gets into the conversation of top three, top four, and he should. You If there was a great video this fall this offseason, a C. J. Shaud talking about quarterbacks he likes to watch, it was Matthew Stafford. NFL players loving Matthew Stafford. He is a gamer. And what he did last year when Cooper Cup was out and turned Puka Nakua into an all world receiver. He is brilliant and I really want to bet the Rams, but here's the problem, and I want to fade the life because the variance is so high when you're betting on a Dan Campbell team, because of the way he goes forward on fourth down, which can always bite you, as it did in the NFC title game. And when the Niners came back, they are so foundationally good. And when I bet, and when a lot of professionals bet, they bet from inside out. They look at the offensive line, they look at the defensive line. That's where they start. They don't start on the edges, they don't start with the quarterbacks. They start foundationally. The lines are one of a few teams with top five offensive line, top five defensive line. Pinasuel on one side. Then you mentioned Aden Hutchinson. I bet Ada Hutchinson fourteen to one to lead the league in sacks. Everything coming out of camp was how this guy has gotten better and better. And last year he was dominant no matter what the situation was, no matter how often he was being double teams, he consistently got pressure on quarterbacks, even if it wasn't always a sack. So if you look at those things, I'm like, wait a second. Aaron Donald retired offensive line for the Rams in trouble. Jared Goff undefeated against the spread to start the season in his career, Jared Goff twenty five to nine against spread in doors. Jared Goff the most profitable quarterback against the spread the past five years. Dan Campbell the most profitable coach against the spread the past five years. I know, like it's hard to bet on a more than a field goal favorite in a game that ended as a very short win for the Lions last year in the playoffs, I think the Lions have gotten better. I think the Rams have stagnated or a little bit less, a little bit worse because their talent isn't as good. So it hurts, But I'm on the lines.
Speaker 1: Sharper Square, all odds provided by DraftKings. The favorites have a one hundred thousand dollars pick them contest, and it's free to play, which is sounds like a bad business move by you. You should charge people.
Speaker 2: Colin Listen, we're on the Volume podcast network. We want to engage as many people as possible and if it's going to cost us money. We don't care if we look good. You look good. That's what we care about. Anybody can play. And here's what's fun. Me and Simon, we will make our five picks. We enter the contest. We talk about the picks we're going to enter on our show. People love to compete against us. So you enter five picks every week you can win be part of the one hundred thousand dollars prize pool. Favorites Dot Actionnetwork dot Com is the sign up and by the way, we give away one thousand a week to the person with the best record. So we're giving money away all season long in our effort to make the Volume podcast Network the biggest podcast network in the world. Go sign up, win one hundred brand favorites Dot Action Network dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Favorites is the absolute best sports gambling pod in the country. We love having you guys back and God, I'm gonna go buy a jet ski on that Panthers pick.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: That's my pick of the week.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem. Here's the problem. It might not go our way. And that's okay. It's okay because in the long run, we got to play the fundamentals and like it might not work this weekend, over the long run, it's gonna work out. But man, I am like so invested in this Panthers team. I am so nervous about this game. I'm nervous about the Lions game. I'm nervous about the Jets game. I'm nervous about the Colts game, and the Giants game. I'm sick to my stomach. Brother, all right, buddy, seasons back.
Speaker 1: It is one of the more interesting games this weekend is Colorado and Deon Sanders and all he brings to the table at Nebraska. Now, Travis Hunter and Shador Sanders for the Buffaloes are the two best players in the game, and they alone may be able to carry Colorado to the win. But I like Nebraska for a lot of reasons. Number one is, if you go to last year, nobody lost more close games down the stretch than Nebraska. They were close. They needed a couple of transfers, They needed to get a little older on the defensive side. It didn't matter if it was Iowa, it was Maryland, it was Michigan State. They lost by a field goal. It felt like every week, and they were shooting themselves in the foot with a lot of ugly turnovers. This defense now is different. Six seniors, five junior start and that matters a lot of starts against the Colorado offense and offensive line that I haven't for the last couple of years. Again, Colorado's got the two best players in this game, maybe the three or four. Best depth experience. I like Nebraska. The other thing is that Colorado has by and large last three matchups as at one. Nebraska's not overlooking anybody. Also, I tend to look at programs. I think there's baby steps. I think when you take over a program, first of all, the first sign you're doing it right is you're closing the gap. Nebraska last year close losses. Generally those kind of teams the following year start turning those into close wins, and then the following year, if you have the right coach and the right players, you have decisive wins. I don't think Nebraska is in a decisive win territory yet against the better teams on their schedule, but I don't think Colorado is one of the better teams on their schedule. I like Nebraska by ten points. I think their defense, though it won't be a perfect game, a Shadure Sanders. He moves well. I really like him. I mean, I almost feel like if Shaudure Sanders, if you're gonna judge him just on football, he can be the number one pick in the draft. His ability to place the ball, moving pocket, moving left, moving right, moving forward. He has tremendous ball placement, and he's kind of what everybody's looking for. He can win in the pocket, he can win off script. So I think Colorado is going to score some points to be a handful. But I think Matt Ruhle situationally, is a better coach than Dion. Dion's a bigger present. Dion may be a better recruiter, But I mean Nebraska was I looked it up this morning. Top thirty and tackles for loss last season, and now this defense six seniors, five juniors, is even older. They got that new quarterback, Dylan Reyola. They like him. They are more than capable at quarterback. He's not Shoudour Sanders, but he's fine Nebraska at home, more experienced defense, Matt rule losing close to now winning close. I'm gonna take him by about eight to ten points here litll thirty three twenty four kind of feels like that to me. I like the Huskers. All right, the game of the day, it's on Fox. Is Texas their first ever meeting in the Big House against Michigan. It's remarkable to think about two brands that big that have never faced in the big house. Listen, I was a Michigan believer all last year. I mean, Harbaugh on the sidelines are not They were hammering people. But Michigan lost eight of eleven offensive starters, a star quarterback, a star receiver, a star back, top offensive lineman, and those were also in many instances leaders. So not only do you lose Jim Harbaugh, which I think the cultural vibe of the toughest physicality will remain even if this coach isn't the right coach. My feeling is, I mean Mark Helfrich wasn't the perfect fit for Chip Kelly, but for a year you couldn't tell the difference. I think there's a lot of momentum program momentum for Michigan, but they just lost too many leaders and too much firepower on offense, and I think they're a team that will be able to win a certain way. I think Texas can win anyway, shootout close. They're better at quarterback. Now. They lost three receivers to the NFL, but it's Texas, it's Sark. I don't worry about the offense. I talked to Sark this week. He said it's hard for him to differentiate in some instances starters from backups with Texas, and we tend to rush to a judgment with these high profile coaches A Kiffin, A Sark, A Lincoln Riley, a Harbaugh, you can't. This stuff takes two and three years, even with big brands to get up to speed. So you're in the Ohio state class, you're in the Georgia and Alabama class. This is the first time I look at Texas and think, yeah, they can go toe to toe with anybody. I didn't like him on the back end last year. Washington exposed that. Michael Pennix exposed that. I think Texas has a chance to play for the national championship. I think they bring back more experience that offensive line for Texas. Now that's some first and second round talent. That's a lot of starts. They may have some new receivers, a new back. That's a lot of starts. And Quinn Ewers from diet to his play on the field is a little bit more structured to me last year than what I saw initially. Was not a big fan, initially, just played to loose to J Cutler. To me, I like Texas here now again. I think it's a pretty low scoring game. I think Michigan has some top defenders are at home. Even good college teams can struggle away from home. I looked at this morning. It opened at Texas minus four, it's now Texas minus seven. I think the Longhorns win. I think it's probably pretty close. But I think you'll watch that game and from a more dynamic offense to the better quarterback, I think you're going to feel like Texas. They may stumble a little early, intimidating big house. I think they pull away late a little bit like how Michigan beat Ohio State last couple of years, physicality leaned on them late third quarter on. You're going to feel like the better team, the better roster, the better chance in the National Championship is Texas. I like the Horns here by about six the volume. Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review