Speaker 1: Welcome in, all you Faithfuls and Traders for another episode of By Order of the Faithfuls. Wells Adams alongside Dolores Catanya today, and we're about to be joined by someone who's been on TV for a very long time. Born and raised in Orange County, California, Stephen Cleddy was just eighteen years old when he was cast on Laguna Beach, The Real Orange County back in two thousand and four. Then in two thousand and seven, he did something that's very very hard to do, go from reality TV descripted television. He was on One Tree Hill on the CW for a bunch of seasons, and of course now he is starring in season four of The Traders this year, and he is faithful. All right, Welcome to the show, Steven. Right off the bat, we have to congratulate you on you and your wife's first pregnancy. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Thank you man. We're super thrilled.
Speaker 3: That's so the genetics that child. I cannot wait to see what this comes out like.
Speaker 2: Too kind, too kind?
Speaker 4: Was it a Trader's baby?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know what I think coming out of the castle, you know, after being locked up for so long, Yeah, we were pretty hyped up. We were excited to see our.
Speaker 4: See each other. Yeah, I bet so. You know, magic happens after you get home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, this is a hard grow fonder, of course, and it sure did there.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: Do you know what you're having yet?
Speaker 2: I do. I do. We're not sharing it, but I do know. And yeah, we're pretty excited.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do a gender reveal.
Speaker 2: We're not going to do a gender reveal. We're just kind of we're keeping it close for now, and it's always been, you know, we just want to make sure, you know, Alex is doing well and the baby's doing well. Of course, going to focus on the health and it's our first go so make sure we're you know, hitting the benchmarks that we need to and and being responsible parents and getting ready for this and so, as you know, we were happy to share the news and and get it out there, but as far as having a big party or gender review or anything like that, we're we're a little more low key, so we're not gonna do anything like that.
Speaker 4: You know. The truth is people are doing less and less of.
Speaker 1: That, you know.
Speaker 2: We we also had a very low key ceremony for our marriage, and that was kind of the plan all along. It was. It was the first instinct was like, let's have you know, should we just go get hitched, like all right, we've got to have some family there, and it kind of grew into something bigger and then we brought it back to what it originally was, was like, you know what, like we want to do, which is just like is going to make this special for her and I and I have to feel like we're running around the whole time, you know, having to engage with everybody at the plant. We want to be able to have our fun and so yeah, we really toned it down and it was. It was. It was an amazing day. It was. It was a beautiful day. We just had our immediate family. We just said civil ceremony. We went and got pizza afterwards, and it was perfect.
Speaker 4: I love that. So no wedding at all, there was no big Sarah like, no.
Speaker 2: Big ceremony, no we when we we we jetted off to uh to France the next day and we celebrated there. So yeah, it was it was perfect. It all worked out.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I wish I had done that.
Speaker 3: We spent so much freaking money getting ideas. You know what, Well, this is because I'm recently engaged, and thank you. So you know, being in the public eye, as you know, nothing's really private, and I'm more of a private person, and I get silly, like wells could tell you, I get silly about being like affectionate in front of people or even the thought of it. So I want to kind of have it close to home too. So that just gave me a little inspo. So thank you on that.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Of course, if if your kid grows up and wants to be on TV, what will be your advice to them?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wow, great question. I would just want to make sure that it was something that they really wanted to do, something that they were very passion about, and how to plan, like what's your five year plan, what's your ten year plan, what's your plan B, what's your plan C? Because you know, I think that, look, if you want to go out and just for one experience, go on a show like Traders and and just that's going to be it, and that's your plan, that that's great, But you know, it's it's tough out there, and I think that if if you're going into it like, oh, I don't know, Like I just kind of want to, like, you know, I'm going to be in entertainment and We'll see where it goes and not really have a game plan like it's too cut thrown out there, you guys know, like this is it's you know, the business doesn't have time for that, and you got to be a hustler. You got to be ready to get after it, and you've got to have a good plan and stick to your guns cause you're going to get in the washing machine that is Hollywood, and you know it'll spit you out when it wants to, not when you choose to or how you choose to. So I would just want to make sure that there's a plan there and there's a passion behind it so that there's a real drive. And then other than that, like hey, if there's a one off where it's like I really data, just like I'm gonna go be a lawyer, but first I to go do traders. What can I say there? You know it's like, well I get it, So I get it. You're you're you're going for it.
Speaker 4: This child's going to be so normal. I can't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: When my son asked to become an actor. He came home from football practice. He wasn't built at the time like the rest of the kids, and I was like, go do your don't get the out of my That's what I said to him. However, a month later, we were filming a movie that nothing ever came out of in la because I did let him see for himself.
Speaker 2: Sure, so the old you know, filming a movie that nothing comes from it, no one ever necessarily sees it, or the idea of what you read in a script, and then eventually what made the screen and if it ever even made it to anybody's screen. Oh, it's a fun it's a fun world.
Speaker 4: It was a m Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You live in a very unique world. Very few people have been able to be reality stars. And then on the unscripted stars, unscripted and scripted, do you like one better than the other?
Speaker 2: I liked the scripted, you know. I even going on Traders was a big move for me. But I always wanted to work in entertainment. I liked creative writing, I liked performing. I wasn't going to tell anybody that in high school, middle school because that would be in my eyes at the time, social suicide and I was like, I want to have fun and and and you know, go to parties and mingle with friends, and so I wasn't gonna, you know, do musical theater during that time. But the interesting thing is when MTV came around with Laguna Beach, it was that moment where you're in, you know, your second semester of high school. You're you're done with it right, You're ready to move on. And I didn't want to conform to the trends or or I wasn't. I wasn't necessarily as worried what everyone was thinking in my high school at that point. So while in freshman, if it was freshman year, I would have never done it. But senior year it was time to move on, and so I took the leap, knowing that all my guy friends are gonna be like, what are you doing, dude, that's so lame. I was like, no, you understand, like.
Speaker 1: They do that.
Speaker 4: Did they say that to you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I remember. I remind my buddy this all the time. One of my first scenes sitting outside of a cafe with Lauren here in the Gunda Beach and one of my buddies, A couple buddies drive by and they just roll down the windows and they're just yelling stuff that I can't repeat. And I was so already so nervous that I was taking that. I was like, oh my gosh, here we go. But at the end of the day, again, you know, I had a plan. There was things I wanted to do, and and you know, I thought, honestly, it would be more on the sports side. I thought, you know, I grew up watching Sports Center when you had Dan Patrick and Keith Oberman, and they would the way that they would talk about the highlights and and you know, they would make it such an entertaining show. You know, something like that appealed to me, and that's why I transitioned right into hosting with MTV. But I took some acting classes as well as well, and I'd done a little bit of that in middle school, and when I started to take it seriously, I just kind of caught the bug and I was like, all right, there's some things I want to do here. So thankfully, it's it's been a good run so far. It's been good to me. It's up and ups and downs, for sure. You know. Early on, I had a lot given to me because I was on Laguna Beach. You know that was not deserved. You know, we were plucked from complete obscurity and thrown on the show into MTV when MTV was near its peak. And you know, I'm proud to say that all these years later, it's you know, I've been around the business and ridden all sorts of highs and lows and grinded through it, you know. And to sit here now and I have a second season of an independent show that my partner James Lafey, and I shot together and we got it on Hulu. To you know, be able to even be relevant in a way where someone would consider me to be on Traders, I think is super special. I feel really grateful for that. And Traders was the show I had to come back. And do you know, there's been a lot of them that have been offered over the years, and this one was was the one.
Speaker 3: Is there any other ones that you would do? Like I was looking at Special Forces. I think you could do it. You're a very fit and athletic and I'm just like, but there are people that are fit in athletic on it and.
Speaker 4: They didn't not do well. And I mean.
Speaker 3: There's just a few other shows. Is there any other ones in your site?
Speaker 2: You know, after after doing Traders, you would think that I was I probably thought I signed up for special Forces based on my just like mission aggressiveness, like okay, here to tackle these missions. This is where I'm gonna get into this game. But yeah, you know I always said that look the the MTV kind of personal life and sensationalizing it with everything that was again we were kids. That was going on in my life at that time. It really scared me away for for a long time. And I probably you know, you psychologically could probably look back and be like, all right, maybe there's some moves here of why he's he's dipping in a scripted and hiding behind some characters rather than continuing to be you know yourself. And I you know, I just I wasn't gonna do anything that was gonna be around my personal life because I saw the way mt BE twisted it and why there was plenty of truth that they had their story based in truth, but the way that they could twist it and uh that it just scarred me for a while. So I think when the focus is on something like a competition and not who you're who you are personally necessarily, which is the other thing that that drew me to the show. That's where I could see myself, you know, doing another show. I'm a competitive person, athletic and as you see, you know, trying to tackle these missions. So if there's something it's like an amazing race, you know, special Forces. Uh, that's definitely something I would consider that.
Speaker 3: I'm I want to do more. I love Traders so much. I want to do Traders again. I'm hoping I miss it. It's hard to watch because I miss it so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hope they run it back with with a bunch of people or maybe there's yeah, there's I mean, it's it's interesting going out there. You know, obviously the build up to the first day and and and you know you're kind of locked away for a few days. You got everything taken away from me. You know, I'm an active person, so I was getting a little stir crazy. Oh yeah, once the game got going and the momentum picked up, It's not a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Being in that room, is right, it is. It is rough.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious because you come from such a kind of a different thing than the housewives. What did you think when you met the housewives, what were they like to They're a little crazy, They're they're wild, They're pretty intense, and I know you're like so nice, so I'm curious what you think of everyone.
Speaker 2: Or fully intimidating? Are you kidding me? I was like, man, I'm out of my league here. These these are reality TV vets, these are big personalities. I'm just this kid from Laguna Beach that was on a reality show twenty years ago popping in here. And so I was, yeah, I went in there very intimidated and also impressed. I knew that there were gonna be some big personal I'm not familiar with the housewives going in. I know a little bit and my my wife coached me up. But once I got in there and met them, I was like, damn, Like they came to play and they play their roles very very well. So I have I already had respect for what they do. And I know, I mean that's the other thing. It's like people when I was getting started in reality people were looking down on it like crazy, right.
Speaker 4: They did, especially trained actors.
Speaker 3: They were like like, how are you getting more camera tiet? Like how are you getting these you know, to be on TV, then we're not. And I'm a trained actor. I went to school for it.
Speaker 4: I'm from here, I'm from there, and I've been doing this all my life. But yeah, you're on TV. They hated us for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get. I mean it was like people would say, like, this is the deathbed of the art, you know, and trying. I remember that stepping into acting classes when I was, you know, coming off of this reality show. It was it was a bit of a leap back then. But I to me, you know, yeah, look, at the end of the day, even those jobs I've you know, I've read about the schedules for the Housewives. It's it's it's crazy. It's a full time job and and for anybody to look down on it is ridiculous. So again I had respect already going in, but then meeting them and just seeing the way that they handle their roles and play there, you know, played the version of themselves that they play is impressive, and so I really enjoyed them and getting to know that. I mean, look look at our our traders. You know, you've got Lisa, You've got Candace. I mean, what great personalities to put up in the turret and and Candace is as she says, she's main character energy and Lisa is just an icon. So and the jet position between them and Rob right, it's just it's it's very well done.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the show. You know, if I was on this season, you would would be spiking my spidy sense a little bit because you have been on reality TV before. But then also you are an amazing actor who can pretend to be something else. In my mind out of like, you'd be perfect to be a trader. Did you want to be a trader or did you always want to be a faithful?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, I there was. It was tough because I wanted to be a faithful. I wanted to play the game as a faithful. I did not want to go and try to lie the whole time and have to carry I guess the weight. I wasn't sure exactly how I'd handle the weight of being a trader, as I was already feeling again. I talked a little bit about being intimidated stepping onto that set with all the reality vets and not having done reality in a while. So I really wanted to play the games of faithful. And it's funny looking back, there was always a little bit. I was like, you know what, being a trader would be really fun. Definitely saw that side of it. But I was like, you know what, I think I'm best served being a faithful and I felt like that's how I can make it the furthest So that's what I went with. I did say early on, I was like, look, I want to make this clear, like I can handle being a trader. If someone's going to recruit me to be a trader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me ask you this, what was your strategy going into the show, because if you were like, Okay, I'm going to be a faithful. Was it to lay low, was it to create alliances? Was it to be you know, boisterous. What was your strategy coming in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, obviously, once you sign up to do the show, you're trying to consume you know, past players experiences and just learn as much about the game. You know. I really kind of dove into it and was like, all right, how can I make it as far as possible? You know, I want to make it to the end. I want to win. You know, I didn't. I didn't go there to be a loud voice in the room, to try to fight for camera time or anything that I went there, you know, basically to challenge myself and see see how I can handle the situation. And so I wanted to go in and know that I can excel in missions. So I felt like, if there's one thing that the Traders and Faithfuls can agree on, obviously, it's getting that price fund as high as possible. And they're going to like the people that are good at the missions. So to me, even though that's not necessarily everyone's part of like a favorite part of the game, I saw that as a spot where I can excel and play to my strength. And so we're going to speak up there be a loud voice outside which is during the missions, so that it's memorable. And then the Traders when they're thinking about who they need to act, hopefully they're going to have that thought, well, he's really good at handling the mission, so we should probably keep him around, which did pay off, which I was so happy to see. At the end of episode four, Rob's putting my name up and then Lisa and Candics were like, he's a mission guy, we should keep him around.
Speaker 4: So and then I think you're too stop.
Speaker 3: They wanted you there for a few reasons, I'd say, and you were very nice.
Speaker 2: But I also yeah, I also was not. I wanted to sit back and and and just try to learn who everybody was. I wanted to just have a moment with everybody. Wasn't you know, gonna jump to any conclusions on anybody and doing that it was going to be more observing than trying to rally the troops. You know, I was engaging in conversations with everybody. It's interesting, you know, of course, how much is shot all your different conversations and even moments that are you know that people I'm sure would like to know happened that aren't in the show. You know, it would be interesting to see like a reel of some of the scenes. Right, It's like they they they have all sorts of stuff. So I just wanted to sit back and observe more people. I knew that there was going to be a big personality, so it's gonna let them do their thing. And you know what, it seemed like early on in the game, everyone's looking for just something to pin on somebody that's not themselves. There is the all right, united, the faithful Front, right, we're finding the traders, but there's also self preservation and so in that, you know, sitting back and letting the louder voices in the room kind of, you know, bury themselves. In some cases, that was that was the part of my strategy.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about the loudest voice in the room and them burying themselves in Michael rapampor you.
Speaker 3: Know what, was the best looking, more of the smartest, the dopest, faith dopest ever. So I spoke to Michael before he left, because you know, you do, you call someone and that had been there before and and I said, Mike, just be quiet, like try you're very smart.
Speaker 4: He's smart.
Speaker 3: He clocked a few of the traders right out of the box, right, and he couldn't. He just couldn't do it. And he played himself, which is fine to do. I mean, you did too, right, You went in there playing yourself and uh.
Speaker 4: It, I knew it. It was gonna hurt him. It was good.
Speaker 3: It's not, but that was good for you and it was good for the game. And actually it was good TV.
Speaker 4: We loved watching Michael unravel at the table.
Speaker 2: Incredibly entertaining. And he's not at the table if he's at the dinner table. Just the way he's eating his food is fascinating to people, as you can see.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to talk about that talk. Is it always like that? Is he always shoveling food down his gullet?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. I mean I think it's in at least two episodes. Oh I know, but yeah, it was so funny. I remember a couple of times. You know, you're in the breakfast room there, even if you're coming back from a mission and you're gathering lunch, uh and he's just, you know, shoveling stuff on a plate, and he's just like he's talking to some of the camera guys. He's like, all right, which one you which one? He is gonna follow me and watch me eat. It's like they didn't think going to film school, this is what you're gonna be doing, you know, ten years later it's filming some schmut from uhh, shove the food in his mouth. So I think he knew what he was doing. And look, I think he also that is what he does, right, it's and I think he was he was happy to show that, knowing that.
Speaker 3: He's unapologetic about who he is and we love him for it. So but did you think that when he said that to Culton, that he was doing it in a malicious way.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it like that.
Speaker 2: No, you know, it took me a second to to truly pick up because there was there's so much going back and forth, right, and I remember when he when he said that, it felt like a low blow, but I knew he didn't just come out of nowhere was saying it, right. He obviously wanted to call him out for keeping a secret, so he's you know, I think he's he was able to say whatever he felt like he wanted to say in that moment. I think he knew that he was maybe pushing a button a little bit with him as they were getting pretty heated. But yeah, look, I think it got very very emotional in there, and a lot of people were speaking back to Michael as as he was just talking and talking and talking. And that was the the tough thing about that round table. I mean, he he we would try to you know, there's a lot of heat on rawn. You know, we're obviously Tippany had already left, but we were trying to work through different people's you know, facts and pieces of evidence, and then Michael would just kind of take it and be like, you know what. I know we're all talking about this, but we should be looking at this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Jam Jam and Michael. They had a lot of back and forth as well. I feel like, look, Michael knows what he's doing as your Sandy's a smart He's a smart guy.
Speaker 4: He's smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought he was ready to get out of the game, to be honest with you, because he had such a he was being so loud and and and and and taking over a lot of conversations and being and being you know, Michael, even though when he was talking about his wife was like, hey, just just make sure you just try to stay quiet, you know this, and he just he wasn't going to do that. He was going to be true to himself and and I think that's what he did. But I remember he talked about, you know, Game seven of the NBA Championship was about to go about to happen right right around that day, and he's like, he's like, see, we're gonna we gotta watch the game. How are we gonna watch the game? And I felt like at that roundtable, the way he just started just unloading and and and was not holding anything back and was happy to push buttons with everybody. He was already pushing everyone's buttons. Now he was like, all right, I don't feel like I really like, I'm gonna just take it to the next step. And he did that, and I was like, all right, it's almost like he wants out of this game at this point. Maybe he wanted to go watch Game seven.
Speaker 3: So I don't think anyone even thought he was a trader. They just wanted him out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I think that he was so voisterous at a point where this he can't be a trader because he would just be the worst trader. By leaning so hard and being so loud, you're drawing so much attention to yourself where you are in fact annoying people, and people want you out for that reason alone. So yeah, a lot of people, they weren't necessarily thinking he was a trader. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you guys have the faithfuls at least have taken a little bit of criticism of knowing that someone's really not a trader and still voting them out just because they were unpopular or annoying. I mean, it happened in our season, Sandoval was doing the exact same thing. He was very he was very loud, he was he was trying to get glorious. He was also trying to get Krishelle out a lot, and he was just kind of distracting everybody. And so obviously traders love that because that's distracting everyone away from what everyone's doing. You're keeping the eye, your eye off the ball. But the truth of the matter is is that you guys all voted him out knowing that you weren't a step closer to getting a trader.
Speaker 2: Now frustrating part. I mean, I stuck with my vote for Ron, you know, because we had the most evidence on Ron, and and it's and it was going Ron's way. It was just like the first round table. We should have had a trader on the first round table. I don't know if you guys know this, but we were all the that the votes were swinging for Donna as you saw in the second round table and went heavily against her. Yeah, it should have gone that way the first round table. But here comes Ron out of who was pretty quiet, all of a sudden, he he he speaks up, and he's he's got some hard facts and to his credit, they're legit. I mean obviously, as we said, yeah, seeing that play out and seeing what he saw, I feel really bad for Ron, and I mean, he saw evidence and he went with it. So it was tough that he brought it up there at the roundtable and not beforehand so we could talk about it because he knew everyone was going and he's he was spending some time against is kind of what hurt Donna. She started to get a little more quiet in a corner a bit and not overly engaging even if somebody engages you, because it's one thing obviously to be sitting quiet in a corner, but when you know, you start engaging a conversation. And so Ron and her we're kind of hanging out. So the fact that we all were on Donna and then Ron was with her, it it put on Ron's back. But yeah, yeah, I think going into that one, we we knew we had to kind of clear the table of Ron and Michael was not going to let that happens. Camera right back to Michael and be like, hey, guys, I'm here, I may or may not want to go watch Game seven, So yeah, let's go down.
Speaker 1: But you know, you know, Ron. He I feel like, changed a lot of minds in this most recent round table, and he employed a really good tactic of being like, I'm going to go around and tell everyone what I like about them, because this is gonna be the last time I speak to them. And then all of a sudden, everyone changed and was like, I don't think I don't think he is a trader. In that moment, were you still on Ron or were you believing that he was actually faithful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough. It was one of those moments where, if you know, having swung towards Portia in that first round table really affected my strategy rest of the game because and then also kind of towards Tiffany because I was going to go for Ron, but then stuff with Tiffany came up. I had a little something that happened with her where I was like, okay, you know what, she's giving me a little bit suspicion. So I moved off of Ron and and now it's like, okay, poor show. That was a fail, Tiffany fail. I was like, look, just stick to your guns. Don't let other people sway you. Stick with the evidence in your mind that you feel like is the strongest and go from there. So I did, and and and with Ron, there is that time after you've written their name down and as you know, you know, as they're going around and there they're speaking to everybody, or even after you you give your explanation of why you voted for them, that they look you in the eye and they say something. And I felt like that's when I would get a real honest read, so I did. Before he got up there, I was like, oh no, I think I think Ron very well. Is it faithful? And there was suspicion before, but again at that point he had the most heat and we had to clear it to move on to the next thing because this we are doing so many favors for the traders far in this game, they are kicking our ass right. There were just the in fighting and and and I mean, it's yeah, it's it's bad. So I was like, look, I'm just gonna go. I'm going to clear this with Ron. And and then as we as it was great his exit going around and saying a little bit about everybody. And then also I don't know if they the show because I actually haven't seen it yet, but when he when he stands up there and just his speech there was was amazing too. He thanked everybody and the crew in the background and talked about the experience. He's he's a sweetheart. Ron was was awesome and it was it was tough to see him go, but he had to.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, you guys keep talking in that roundtable of like, well, we have to vote out Ron, so we can at least close this chapter and get clarity. What was the clarity that you were going to find out if Ron ended up being faithful?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the evidence Okay, just those that were really pressing on Ron, those that were really gunning for him, we could probably raise some suspicion on them now that that voting record, And then you can also look at the people that were not going to vote for Ron, and we're saying, you, look, I don't I know he's got all the there. There's there's a long list of things that have happened at this point, but like, I really do believe that he's a faithful So I think those folks we can also deduce are probably faithful because if you're a trader, you're most likely happy to see Ron go and continue to to keep you know, having to their faithful, you know, be asked, So, yeah, I think it's it's that voting record ultimately, and that does become a you know a big part of the show, as you guys know.
Speaker 1: Oh for for sure.
Speaker 3: But you know it does weigh heavy on you when you vote out of faithful, right as you're saying, like with Porsche and Tiffany, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: You don't only feel Michael though.
Speaker 4: No, not Michael, I Saiffany.
Speaker 3: But but you don't only feel bad. Especially Tiffany was heartbreaking. But but then you kind of kind of like lose a little confidence in yourself and what the other people that actually really gunned for them. So is there any point where like your emotions took over because mine did many times in the game that where you said, like, I'm done, I just want to go home. I don't I don't want to hurt another person. I don't want to vote out another person. This is killing me.
Speaker 2: You know. The Tiffany vote was emotional for me, and I was surprised how quickly the game got emotional. Part of that was just the way I had conversations with her privately, also the way she was speaking at the roundtable obviously very eloquent and her her personal story. You know that that just pulls at the hard strings. And so that was that was tough. I think what happens is there's just kind of a competitive thing with me. It was like, all right, we need to lock in, like all right, what happened here? Like what was wrong? Where did we go wrong with tiffany? How can we not do that the next time? Who had some some good bits about maybe it's not her and why and maybe we can lean on them a little bit and see what they're thinking, because maybe they're seeing something that we aren't as far as their instincts.
Speaker 3: The Candice really, although she was a trader, really went for her like tried to save her, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know that would throw you off of one hundred percent. And that's the crazy part it is with this game. It is absolute madness. It is such a rollercoaster and as soon as you think you have a thread of a solid strategy or play and maybe you're thinking a couple of steps ahead, that could unravel so fast and.
Speaker 4: It's a monkey wrench.
Speaker 2: It really is. And so you have to stay on your toes constantly, constantly and I learned that, you know, early on in the game through these roundtables, just like okay, I here's my plan, and then just all there's just there's so many different curve balls you have to be ready to in real time to react to them. And yeah, that's a very it's a very fascinating part of the game. There's no single way of like, Okay, this is the strategy that will win you the game, right, it doesn't matter what you do, you have to depending on the personalities are there, depending on what happens day of day, depending on what you say and who you say it to. At certain times. You know, you could play the game, you know, one hundred times and you have you know, a hundred different outcomes.
Speaker 4: There's really no strategy to be high.
Speaker 3: Like, so if somebody's coming into the game the next time it airs, somebody's gonna call you and they're gonna say, what's your best advice for me?
Speaker 1: No one called me.
Speaker 2: I'm here, you're telling me that Michael called you. I'm like, I was so scared by NBC. Not then they didn't scare me per se, but I just was like, I was like, I'm gonna just not talk to anybody, I'm gonna just step into this. And so I didn't speak to anybody going into the game that I was reading all of what you guys all people, and I wish I had more of those contacts. But now, yeah, I recommend anybody who was going to do the show feel free to reach out. I will happily engage it. And don't be too scared of the powers that be. As far as connect, you're not going to tell on them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, But look, I think that you have to be able to early on in the game sit back a little bit and observe and watch exactly who's acting which way, who's being a loud voice in the room, who is rallying the troops and why. I think if you can observe that and then choose very wisely when you want to speak up, and do speak up. You know you don't want to be Don't be the person that sits back and doesn't do anything and is super quiet the whole time. You need to. You need to speak up. Make sure you speak up at the round tables. Make sure you're showing the faithfuls that you are trying to figure out who the traders are.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to talk to you about Colton because there does seem to be a little bit of a double standard between him and Ron. They both did the exact same thing, but everyone went after Ron instead of going after Colton, because you know, yeah, Colton was wrong about Tiffany, very very boisterous about it. He was wrong about Michael Rappaport as well. But somehow all of the kind of like the shame and blame went on to Ron. But in this most recent roundtable, all of a sudden, it turns and you have Ron up, You've got Colton up, and then you've got Lisa, who was not on anyone's radar except for Colton, and then he was able to skew that entire room to get very very close to getting Lisa out, so much so that a fellow trader in Rob votes for Lisa in that moment. Are you thinking that Colton could be a trader or that Lisa could be a trader or is it just like we got to know about Rone.
Speaker 2: I felt pretty confident that Colton was a faithful I think that you can look at the voting record and be suspicious, but it did seem like he was very earnest in how he wanted to play the game. He wanted to figure out who the traders were as soon as I mean, he was the first one. As soon as we got somebody. It was like, all right, who's next right away? And his instincts were lining up with a lot of hours right in mind personally, you know, when he spoke up about Lisa, it was something I was like, yep, there was something that I've had there. And so I think when you've got even though he's swinging and missing, just like Ron did, there's there's big swings and it's a big miss the end of the day. At least Colton is he's kind of got his track record of really trying, you know, earnestly to actually figure it out. And Ron kind of came out of left field and just started presenting this evidence at the roundtable. And meanwhile, somebody else was clearly in the hot seat, and so it was like, all right, is he distracting us? So I think that there's the difference there. It's kind of what I talked about earlier about a little bit of the strategy. It's like, you don't want to sit back too much, right everyone says he has to sit back and and just goes through the first few episodes, don't speak up because you never know what can happen. But you do want to speak up a little bit. You want to you want to show that you're trying to figure out who the Traders are and you're presenting some evidence that you have. So yeah, I think at that point I wasn't on the Colton. I was on to Lisa, so I lined with him there, but I still again was like, all right, I got to stick to my guns here. Everything that's happened up to this point, I need to stick with my vote until I get more evidence, and right now we're not ready to go full on Lisa.
Speaker 3: Did you ever happen to notice Trader on Trader in my season? At watching my season? Did you see how they wanted to kill each other? The Traders gave themselves away every time they got in a fight because they it would be so between the two of them going after each other, And.
Speaker 4: There's always that The only way to really know.
Speaker 3: If somebody's one hundred percent of Trader is if you're a Trader.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. I think, yeah, it's interesting, you know this point through five episodes, or six episodes in the game.
Speaker 3: Maybe we didn't see what I'm saying up till now, have you seen have you ever looked at two people and go.
Speaker 2: Mmm, there there were there were times there was a bit of of actually, even Colton and Michael, you know, there's your yeah, ruled up right, And and so I would allow myself to go down the path and thinking, all right, what's the scenario here where this is these are two traders that are just fighting up in the turret and now they're taking it in the round table and saying, all right, who can we get acts first? So you know, that is something that is definitely talked about. I never really had, up to this point a strong inclination that there was any trader on trader fighting happening.
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I didn't see. Well, we haven't seen it so far. I want to see the most wives fight, though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They up to this point they they've had real, real clean synergy I think between the traders and and I. Yeah, they're they're kicking ass up there.
Speaker 4: They really are.
Speaker 3: They're doing a great job, and they're agreeing on things, and I kind of like it. I think that's the job the traders are supposed to do if they want to win.
Speaker 2: Do you guys like, was there somebody else that you wish was up in the turret? Or do you like the Traders that they chose?
Speaker 3: I love the Traders. Well, of course I'm biased, but I love the Traders that they chose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every season, you know, like for for my season, my big complaint was I thought that the Traders are being stupid, and that's like what ended up getting me kicked out. I was like, that was dumb. We're going to get rid of Derinda. And then this this season, I'm like, Oh, the Traders are really really smart and doing a much better job than I think in the in the season past. But listen, you know the thread on the sweater is starting to unravel with Rob voting for Lisa and seeing the writing on the wall. You haven't seen the episode ode, so I don't even know if you know that this happened. But Colton took Lisa aside and effectively tried to create an alliance, saying, I know you're Creator. If you are, I won't say your name if you protect me and we go all the way. Did you know that that had happened?
Speaker 2: Yes, he did. He did tell a couple of us that that happened.
Speaker 4: So I don't think that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: No, that's again I think, uh, Colt's playing a dangerous game. He knew he was playing a dangerous game. But and I was sitting there going like, you know what, better him than me again, because you know, we want to make it to the end and give Colton a lot of credit. He was I think Candace dubbed him varsity early on. He was leading the charge. Uh, And to me, I was like, man, it's it's going to get him out of his game at some point. That's the way I felt. But yeah, he uh, he did mention that. He he told me and it was also it was it was a part of what he put forth to some of us. And as far as evidence of like I called out Lisa, I just said it right to her face. I said, just protect me in the turret and he said that, you know just she had a little bit of a chuckle. I guess you guys have seen it. But that was a validating moment for him. If there wasn't any you know, anything left to doubt that she was a trader, that was a big moment for him. That sealed it.
Speaker 1: It was a bold move, as you know, like a guy who's worked on a reality TV show for a very very long time. I understand the edit and the cut. My question to you is, is there someone that's not getting airtime thus far that you thought would be getting more airtime? Like, I'm surprised that, like Johnny's not on my screen more because I feel like that guy is so fun to watch on TV. But for someone that was there, were you, Like, I'm surprised that they're not a bigger presence in the show thus far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johnny's a great one. Johnny's hilarious. I love Johnny. He has I mean, he's enjoyed to be around. He's got some great some funny lines, and and just brought a lot every single day. Yeah, surprised to see not as much Johnny. There's also there was a lot of jam Jam. I know he's gotten some good camera time, but there was a lot of Michael and jam Jam, and they leaned more on the Michael and Colton, but there was Yeah, there was a heavy back and forth between jam Jam and Michael. So I was surprised to not see all of that in there. But yeah, you know, I think at this point you've got some there's some great personalities in the turn where you know it's funny. I mean Rob early on, you know, I went into the game, I met Ryana. Hey, what's what's up? My name Steve, and he's like, hey, I'm Rob. I'm like, cool, man, where are you from? He's like Alabama. I'm like okay. And then everyone the first he was one of the first that everyone was like, hey, the guy, the snake dude, like he's he's probably a trader because we had nothing to go off of, right, and you're just looking to point a finger at somebody. So everyone was pointing at Rob from that before the traders were even picked. Right after the secret Trader was picked, I was like, man, what's up with his energy? And so it's it's interesting to see now watching the show and seeing him in the turret and seeing how he's talking in his interviews as well. Right, I mean, he's just you know, he's he's a smart dude. So I I you see the personalities that they got up there. You're seeing a lot of the traders, you know, more than that, I guess, but yeah, look at list is a big personality. Candae is a big personality, and and Rob in his own right is a great personality. His whole strategy and the way he's playing the game is is fun to watch right now. So yeah, but yeah, at the end of the day, I think, to answer your question, Johnny's a great one. I would have liked to see Monette stick around. Monete was a great personality, and I thought he was gonna go really far, and so it just sucks again. He just he's not speaking up to a lot of people, but he spoke up to the wrong person.
Speaker 4: And yeah for that, Ah, that's that sucks. I would have liked teen him more too.
Speaker 3: But was it your theory, Wells that you said that they show or maybe it was Paul, it was me, Oh, was you okay? That they show a lot of the people that are going to last longer? They don't show a lot of the people that last in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they give all the screen time to the people.
Speaker 4: That are that are being or murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And so it's a little and I could be totally wrong, but it's a little bit of a tell. Like the Johnny one, Mike, my theory is is that he goes a very far way because he's way too big of a personality to have not been on my screen enough, you know. But like Michael Rappaport was a firecracker. He burned bright and fast and it was out, you know. Like, so I look at the TV show that way, not to get like two insider Baseballly, but you know what, but to get insider Baseballly. There's a lot of stuff that gets left on the cutting moon floor. It's always my favorite stuff on Paradise. I'm always like, I'm so bummed that didn't make it because it was so funny or is so dramatic or whatever. On Yeah, was there anything that happened on Traders that didn't make the cut that you were like, Man, I really wish the audience had seen that.
Speaker 4: Give us something good. I know you got it in you.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Shoot, that is a great question. I want to have a great answer for you. Guys, I tell you so so far. There's there's a few things just personally I'm glad that they didn't use because you're so you're over analyzing, you know, your own actions in the game. And even when I first was speared, uh for the mission and episode is. I think it's episode five where they put a spear and that's the first episode four that I'm gonna be up for murder for the first time, and I think I was. I was walking back and I was just like, oh man, I said to myself, or I said out loud to the people I was with. I was like, you know, how could they spear me? Like don't they know how important I am to the missions? And after that, I was like, why did you say that? As if you're so important to the and everyone's like, no, don't touch Stephen, like it's like, leave him be So.
Speaker 4: I spared you? I forget who was it?
Speaker 2: Wait, what's that? Oh spared you? Leave terror?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, okay?
Speaker 2: And then and it's so and then she said, which God blessed terror. She said that the sweetest things and in her interview about you know, having to spare me and didn't want to and all that, that was really nice. So I was dreading that moment. I was like that spearing they're going to show me like pouting, like hey, why how dare they spare me? Uh? So, yeah, that was that was funny. I'm glad they didn't show that.
Speaker 4: Uh you left out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you just told us you got free, and then.
Speaker 4: You tell the biggest fear.
Speaker 3: That's like I think Michael's biggest fear was that round table fight when he said that, and they showed it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, No. I again, they could have done They could have shown a lot from that that roundtable wing. I'm telling you it was probably two hours stop really back and forth for a very long Michael had it out with Colton, he had it out with Jam Jam, he had it I mean, him and Johnny went back and forth, and him and Kristen went back and forth at some point, and and yeah, it went on and on and on, and then we also had other, you know, other suspects to kind of get through. So there's a lot of back and forth that went. So you could you could play you know, a ten minute scene at least from just you know, Michael and Colton, Michael and Jam Jam from that roundtable. But what else can I trying to tell you here? It's it's really that. It's it's moments at the roundtable of people being called out there. Okay, there is I'll tell you this. There was a moment I think coming into that roundtable where there was so much tension that as soon as Alan gives his you know, plays the floor, we're all coming back, right, And then Michael speaks up right away, of course, and we all just bust out laughing for some of us, not everyone, but it was a lot of people were just waiting for him to just you know, you knew it was gonna be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when he first is like, well I should say something, and then everyone you know, busts out out. So we had to kind of contain that. And and of course, you know, they they do not show that part, but there was a moment there. It was so it was so tense that there was a little bit of a relief for a second, so that that was funny. But that's a.
Speaker 4: Tense moment though. Walking into that roundtables rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it went right back to being tense very very fast.
Speaker 1: So can you give us a ts for what's to come?
Speaker 2: I'll say this, The Traders have had their way with the Faithfuls so far, right, Yeah, I mean they are kicking ass in this game, but you know they can't kick ass forever, so the Faithfuls are coming for him.
Speaker 4: I love that is exciting.
Speaker 1: If you were asked to come back on the show for an all star season. Would you do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think you know, the game was so much fun. I had an absolute blast and you guys know this, Uh it's it's it's so interesting to play it just once and then you're like, you know what, I wonder it'd be fun to go back and see if we ran it back. How would I do? You know, what would I be able to make it as far as I did?
Speaker 4: Or would you do something different? What would you do different?
Speaker 2: Or exactly? And there would I think that there is a bit of like, oh okay, I think you know, maybe early on, here's what I've learned, Like the way that people speak up. These personalities are great in some of these interviews. I mean, whether you know it's it's Maura, who didn't speak up a lot around the castle, but when she spoke up, she's got these great one liners, these tidbits. It's like it's she's really funny, and she's also like commands kind of a you know, command the room. When she speaks up. It's not just the accent, but it's it's the eyes and the fact that she's been beamed down from another galaxy. But you know. I think that too. For me, I want to go back because I was also sick. I was terribly sick.
Speaker 1: The first Yeah, what was the matter? I heard that?
Speaker 2: I felt I not like Johnny. His was much more graceful. I jumped in on purpose at some point to help our boat in that first mission. I got super sick. I got Mark sick at one point, I got some of the crew sick, and and then I'm just, of course in my head about I'm going to get voted out because I'm the sick guy. But I'd be in some of those interviews and you know, trying to speak about the missions in the games just it's not and just gross, and I'm just terribly frustrated. I just want to go home at that point. So I felt like it would be I want to have one more fun in those interviews. I can go back and play the game again. That's something that that I would want to do.
Speaker 1: Well. We want to be respectful of your time. But before we let you go, what do you want to promote? Where can people follow you? Where can people find out more about what's going on?
Speaker 2: Oh? I appreciate that. Yeah, I got an independent show called Everyone is Doing Great. We released the first season on Hulu and we just shot a second season and that's gonna come out later this year, so look out for that. And also we did a little special two hour special with Roku. It's gonna be on the Roku channel. Laguna Beach Reunion. It's the first time in twenty years we got the whole cast together in the same spot and that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it, and I'm going to check your show out too. Yeah, we're friends now, so I have.
Speaker 2: To do that. I like it.
Speaker 1: Steven, Thank you so much for coming on by our So you're awesome man. It's very fun to see you on our TV screens, you know, every week on Peacock And you know what, I'm rooting for you, buddy. I hope you I hope you win this entire.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, guys. It's been a pleasure meeting you, and thanks for having me on.
Speaker 4: All right, take care, have a good day.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Oh he is very handsome.
Speaker 4: He's a great guy. Yeah, gentleman. Nice. I hope he wins.
Speaker 1: I do too, like I genuinely liked that guy, and yeah, I probably would have thought he was a trader though, I'd be like, you're an actor and a reality star.
Speaker 4: You're like the did you have to be a trader to be you know?
Speaker 1: Anyways, this was a lot of fun. I love these. I almost so good at him these interviews more than our recaps because you really get to like dig in and be like, wait, what did you think? And what did we miss? All that stuff? That was a lot of so good.
Speaker 3: No, this is something, this is your niche. I mean, honestly, you're really good. I want to see you have your own show doing this.
Speaker 1: I got plenty of shows good time.
Speaker 3: I know, I know you have too many, but I want to just see you. I would like to see you doing this, but in a huge yeah way.
Speaker 1: Well I appreciate that. I'm very excited. Programming note for all of you traders and faithfuls out there, we are going to have the one, the only, Michael Rappaport coming on very well. I cannot wait to talk to him. It's gonna be great. So one of you guys do not want to miss and make sure you're checking wherever you are following us on podcasts for that Michael Rappaport episode to drop. We'll be back very very soon with more behind the scenes interviews and recaps of Traders season four. If you're not following us on social media, please do at by order of the Faithful's Dolores, it is always a lovely day when I get to see your beautiful face.
Speaker 4: Thank you, lovely day to hang out with you, your breath of fresh air.
Speaker 1: See you, guys, Hi