Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Friday, August seventh, and the crime was bizarre enough hearing that a man was murdered by someone in a clown costume. Now a teenager is the one who's been charged in this crime, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Rodesen. The other element is there's video to go along with this, which made the story you've been creepier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because honestly, all the details of this particular crime resemble a horror movie. It doesn't actually feel like this is real, and yet it happened. And when you start to hear what happened in the hours leading up to the actual murder.
Speaker 3: This is as scary as it gets.
Speaker 2: This is right out of it or strangers or like, name the horror movie that involves a clown, or someone peering into a door cam, or someone who is stalking you around your windows while you're at home at night. Literally, this crime has all of those elements, and unfortunately it's real.
Speaker 1: Fair to say, generally speaking, most people are creeped out by clowns or people like clowns.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I've never been a fan, and I always felt like I was the outlier like, I have never been well back.
Speaker 3: In the day when circuses were actually acceptable.
Speaker 2: Now they're not politically correct, But I've never been to the circus. I've never genuinely put myself in the presence of a clown, because, yeah, when I watched and read the book it and watched the movie that point forward, I was not a fan of clowns.
Speaker 1: Even before, Even if you're not watching it in a horror setting, generally speaking, clowns have always just creeped me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have an adult man. Usually I don't know too many female clowns. But so fine, let's just go with an adult man who is around children, who is painted disguised, has exaggerated features his nose, his hair, his feet, and you don't know what he actually looks like. He doesn't speak, he just giggles and laughs. I mean, he has balloons. The whole thing is just, I think, on a certain level, frightening because you don't know the identity and you don't know the motivation.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know we were going to be able to set it up that much. But robes the point there being the idea of anybody wherever you live, in your neighborhood anywhere in this country, of someone in a clown costume lurking throughout the neighborhood for a while, and then you find out the person who's been peering through windows, who's been captured on ring cam, actually stabbed and killed somebody in your neighborhood. Robes, this is just Look, the murder itself is awful, but there's just elements to it that make it horror esque.
Speaker 2: Yes, and look, I actually want to apologize to anyone out there who is a clown, who loves a clown, who appreciates the art of being a clown.
Speaker 3: I understand all of that.
Speaker 2: It has wonderful history in vaudeville, et cetera, entertaining it's been hijacked. Okay, the art of being a clown has been hijacked in a lot of ways by horror movies. And maybe let's all blame Stephen King to begin with with Pennywise, but maybe John Wayne Gacy could also take some blame for that as well, using a clown costume to murder children, So he is probably one of the scariest real life serial killers.
Speaker 3: So add that with.
Speaker 2: Penny Wise and just this whole anonymous idea that someone could be anonymous around your children, entertaining them. The whole thing, at least in present day, given all that I just mentioned, it's just a scary thing. Now, take a clown out of the circus or out of a children's party, yes, or out of an environment where you would expect a clown to be.
Speaker 1: Grocery store, your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: What clown anywhere side of a circus or a children's party, and you're going to maybe be a little scared.
Speaker 3: What is okay?
Speaker 1: Imagine a clown just driving a Toyota camera on the highway.
Speaker 3: It's inherently scary.
Speaker 2: Imagine a clown on the side of the road when you're driving. Imagine a clown coming up to your doorstep unannounced for no reason.
Speaker 3: He would be freaked out.
Speaker 2: So we say all of this to actually set up a real story. So this happened this week, and as you pointed out at the beginning of this episode, Babe, a fifteen year old child has now been arrested and charged with first degree murder. And police say, yes, that teen dressed as a clown stabbed a seventy eight year old man to death at a bus stop, But yes, as we were alluding to, hours before, several doorbell cams ring cams captured video of this teen dressed as a clown, going door to door and saying and whispering some scary stuff. That is it doesn't actually feel real. And to think that it actually happened in East Saint Louis, Illinois, and the arrest just took place late yesterday, but this all happened on Monday night.
Speaker 1: The I don't know robes what happens to a fifteen year old? This is a very up close and personal stabbing that they believe is a random attack where there was no why why? Yes, I would like to know why he's in a clown suit?
Speaker 3: Did you instill fear?
Speaker 1: I would imagine, Okay, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Robe.
Speaker 1: Then he he got dressed and had a mission to go out and do something. First, I don't know he worked at Chuck E Cheese. No sorr, I shouldn't throw Chuck E Cheese and what I'm saying, but you get if he worked somewhere where this was his work costume?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: What is he doing? And wrote? I didn't see it? But did they really a picture? Did you see one of the murder weapons, the knife.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't see the murder weapon.
Speaker 1: It's described as some yes, Michael Myers type stuff.
Speaker 2: It is right out of Halloween. And so look, this is beyond scary. So this elderly man is waiting at.
Speaker 3: A bus stop. He's stabbed by a teen.
Speaker 2: They get a report that there is a body in the middle of the roadway at ten pm on a Monday night in East Saint Louis. And yes, the coroner's office confirmed. And did we mention, sadly, the victim's name. That's a really big part of this seventy eight year old John w Allen. But he died of multiple stab wounds.
Speaker 1: A seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Year old, multiple stab this guy waiting for a bus And we'll get into history and just a bit.
Speaker 3: This is unbelievably tragic.
Speaker 2: And so yes, the prosecutor in this case wants to try this fifteen year old as an adult. We don't have his name, they haven't released it yet because yes, technically, well actually.
Speaker 3: He is a juvenile.
Speaker 2: If they do charge him as an adult, we will get more information about who this kid is, what his name is. But I think so you get up on the scene and then police start putting it all together, and they realize there have been videos circulating online that seemed like a hoax. One neighbor shared a video showing a clip of yes, this clown approaching her mother's door, and in that video, the clown whispers, I've been looking for you. She said, thank god, her mom didn't answer, and the clown walks away. This is about an hour before Alan's body was discovered three blocks.
Speaker 3: Away from the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine that was your mom and thankfully she didn't answer. But you see this video and you think, holy hell. Hours later he found a victim, but he was, it seems, looking for someone to open the door.
Speaker 1: But well, he's just wandering around. He's looking for somebody to kill. What's going on with a fifteen year old.
Speaker 3: That's beyond scary.
Speaker 2: And there was another doorbell camera in the area and it looks like the exact same clown where someone goes into the doorbell cam and says, I have a gift for you. I mean, it seems like if this is the same person who ultimately ended up killing this man, he was on a mission and he was just waiting for someone to open the door. It reminds me of the Purge. It literally has all the hallmarks of a horror movie.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just love to get answers that they don't have at this point. Robes, they haven't identified a motive, they have no reason. They have why as a fifteen year old? What possesses a fifteen year old? You have to think something's wrong with this kid, like seriously, like certifiably wrong with this kid. That's a different type of violence. It's not reactionary. It's it seems Robes.
Speaker 2: To attention seeking, and to that, well, it's evil, it's evil, for sure, but it's attention seeking as well.
Speaker 1: The part of me is stabbing and there's up close to seventy an old man, a seventy year old guy who's waiting on the bus.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make any sense. And yes, the random nature of this is what is so puzzling. And that's the scary part of it. Look you look, it's never obviously okay, murder is rarely justifiable. But when you hear about a random act of violence, that's when our head starts spinning. That's when people start wondering why what possesses somebody? And look, neighbors said, they told, they said they saw a person going door to door with that large knife, peering through windows.
Speaker 3: In some cases, yes.
Speaker 2: He was caught on a ring cam a couple of times, but a lot of other folks reported just with their own naked eyes seeing him peering into their windows in a clown costume with a knife. I cannot imagine. So police are now actually asking anyone who's living in that area please to give them all all the video they may have, because they want to know how many doors we know.
Speaker 3: They're saying he went door to door, He.
Speaker 2: Was going from house to house and ultimately landed on this man who was waiting at a bus stop. And look, this is a crazy official police statement. I was just thinking, like the idea, this is real. But to hear the police department just talk about that he was stabbed in a random attack by a suspect wearing a clown outfit, you almost would feel like that wasn't a real police statement. And yet that is what they're dealing with in eas Saint Louis, Illinois right now.
Speaker 1: They didn't have all the images I saw the mask was on, fully, was there?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 1: Any time you ever saw a partial there.
Speaker 2: You can kind of see a little bit of his face. Yes, he has a mask on the lower part, and they actually said because of the ringcam videos, he was identified quickly. The reason why there was a little bit of a lag between when the murder took place and when he was arrested is just them finding him. But they found him, but they knew who he was almost immediately, So whatever disguise he had, it was apparently not effective because they were able to determine who he was pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Now when we come back, look, we talk about this crime.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the headline and the scary part of it is the fact that this fifteen year old was dressed in a clown costume. But I wanted, and I think this is important, we want to come back after the break and talk about who the victim was in this awful, horrific murder. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. We're talking about this scary clown murder that doesn't actually seem like a real life crime, seems like a horror movie. But yes, we have a fifteen year old suspect charged with first degree murder for the murder of seventy eight year old John w Allen.
Speaker 3: This is a guy who is at a bus stop. He is an elderly man.
Speaker 2: He's a Navy veteran, babe, and a retired bus driver. He drove a school bus for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Navy veteran.
Speaker 1: That just pisses you off.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: Since the guy has been serving for his entire life, He's been doing hard work, difficult work, trying work. But bro, that's man. That sucks.
Speaker 2: I know we can all get caught up in this sallaciousness of this murder, But when I started reading about this man, I have chills from head to toe. His sister, and I love that his sister honored him and spoke about him and wanted people to know who her brother was. She said he was the best brother ever. That someone took away. I'm gonna miss him.
Speaker 3: She said. He was living in a senior living.
Speaker 2: Complex and he had just gone to the VA Hospital for a check up on Monday. Here he is taking care of his health, making sure he's all good. Goes to a CHP on Monday, and then was planning to visit his sister, who lives near the bus stop where he was attacked. So he was going to visit her, and yeah, she's pissed, she's angry, and she wants folks to remember her brother. Just hearing these types of details, she said he they called him baby boy because he was the youngest of six siblings.
Speaker 3: She said he was a.
Speaker 2: Loyal church goer, spent his life serving others. As you just pointed out, not just a navy veteran, but a bus driver, a church goer, and a veteran.
Speaker 3: That just sucks.
Speaker 1: Seventy eight year old is not supposed to die violently. It's certainly not in a random act of violence. That's some man in life is something. This is one of those times where you could just go why why is this? Why do things happen?
Speaker 3: Wrong? Plays?
Speaker 1: Wrong time, wrong guy, wrong night? I mean, some kid lurking.
Speaker 2: Thinking it's funny, thinking he's scared, people thinking he's powerful.
Speaker 1: Here, I really really need to hear what was going on with this kid too.
Speaker 2: And look, I think we will if the prosecutor follows through with what he wants to do. And I would imagine in this case, given to details, given who the victim was, given the randomness of this, and wanting to send a message to anyone who thinks it's cute or funny, who knows if it's gang related or if it's some sort of teen initiation where he's proven something to somebody, but they need to make this actually be something of a lesson to others, and so yes, if he's charged with first degree murder and charged as an adult, we will get his name, we will get his details, and look, the why is always elusive.
Speaker 3: Everyone always wants to understand.
Speaker 2: And maybe we'll understand it, maybe we won't, but let's hope for the family of John w Allen that they get some justice because this is a awful, horrific, scary as hell crime. But it seems like a beautiful man was lost in the process, and we just don't want anyone to forget that, because yes, the headlines will say clown killer, but there was a beautiful man who lost his life because of just some who knows fifteen year old's fascination with the abomination. But anyway, I wanted to get this on your radar. Will continue to follow this story for you out of Saint Louis, but we always appreciate you listening to us.
Speaker 3: Everyone. I made Robach alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk soon.