Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten.
Speaker 1: And welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the a fi's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time? Mate, Rest in Peace. The very slightly less racist tenth anniversary edition, Oh my God?
Speaker 2: Are you sick? Surprise? How did that?
Speaker 1: How was that hidden from me until the second m.
Speaker 2: And are now watching.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, and are now watching films of our own and listeners choosing this podcast is a safe.
Speaker 2: Steam train for people who don't know anything about movies. Today, we're watching Paddington II.
Speaker 3: Whoa, Oh, it's all right, mister Brown. This is my friend Knuckles, go ahead, and this is Fibbs good a spoon, Gimmy the Snitch, al right, t boone, watch the Professor, Squeaky Pete, Double Bass bother or Farmer Jack, mad Dog, Johnny cashboyn catching So, Jeffrey Wilcos, I hope I can rely on your vote and Charlie.
Speaker 2: Rumble because the world needs a little more kindness and politeness right now. Warning there will be spoilers about this whimsical film.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am very glad. This is the movie we had to watch.
Speaker 2: Did you say verry glad?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I said very I should have said Arry Barry yay.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I wouldn't. Is it from stress?
Speaker 2: What would that? Is it from society? We can't know, I guess Sienna. Could I please hear your prediction? It's really depressing. I'm really sorry. Well, you know, so as being alive.
Speaker 5: Okay, Hi Leanna, Hey, I'm.
Speaker 6: About to watch Paddington I yes, I'm wearing my retainers.
Speaker 2: Oh plural boy.
Speaker 6: I remember this movie being so delightful, and you know it's so crazy is that Donald Trump was elected. It's the next president of the United States of America. Anyway, I remember it was like a cute scene in jail ironic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't remember the first one really, but I love this movie the one time I saw it, Marmalade, cutie bear.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited.
Speaker 6: To watch it. I think it's good timing. Yeah, everything is surreal.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, what is it all?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: I love you?
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Welcome back to SIENA process that was me processing.
Speaker 1: In real time, and I'm sorry for all of you who are on the podcast to escape there will be plenty of that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but we can't escape life, can we Beana? I'd love to hear your prediction. You're much short of prediction for period in too ready paddingdal Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Paddington too. Oh my gosh. Oh sorry, I've seen this before. I predict a little bear and doing marmalade and in prison with the Gleason. Yeah there, yep, and then Hugh Grant does a wonderful musical number at the end, which is nice. Yep. But I do have to be honest. This bear stresses me out, really, so I predict I might also be stressed in the watching Love You Bye Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: What stresses you out about Padington That he's always making mistakes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, don't read into this.
Speaker 1: That he's doing his best and worst cute coats and has always making mistakes.
Speaker 2: I don't read into this at all. No, He's an agent of chaos and mainly I forgot like watching it this time. I was like, oh, but it's all very like lighthearted, It's okay. I remembered being just like my god man, and like just stay on your feet.
Speaker 1: You remember it as a much darker experience, Yeah, much more dark.
Speaker 2: Stressed by him, but I think there's so much else to be stressed by. Uh huh now that this, in comparison was small potatoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Well, Leanna, should we do a little hay girl?
Speaker 2: I you know, should we Let's just do a quick one? Hey girl?
Speaker 1: You are a girl and last time we heard from you, you needed to mount a one woman show.
Speaker 2: Updates on that front. There's updates on that front. The twenty first of November. I am mounting a one woman show. I need two reviewers for it. I currently have zero reviewers for it. I've emailed forty reviewers for it. I currently have zero reviewers for it. Okay, if anyone knows London reviewers, this will come out two days before the show is happening. So you called me, you call me right up? Well, you call them first and use all them. That comes to the Museum of Comedy at eight thirty pm on the twenty first of November to watch me do something.
Speaker 1: One thing we gotta say about Leanna, she really gets her done. Ah when something is necessary.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I seem to put myself in spaces or life positions in which there's no other choice, but it must get done.
Speaker 1: She's very efficient because she somehow ends up in situations where there's.
Speaker 2: No other choice. There's no other choice and there's no other time. Yeah, there's almost arguably some many would say no time at all. Yeah, some would say don't do this, and I'd say fair enough. Unfortunately I have to Hey girl, I mean, do you Is that enough? I don't know. It was a terrible week, you know. It was the week of the election. I didn't go into work. I could not be around people who are not in different per se but not American. It's different. It felt insane being in a different country. It felt insane being on a work call. Wow. The day the election was called, everything was horrible and continues to be. Yeah, that's crazy and I'm ale yep, I you know. Yeah, but I had an amazing trace. Letcha's cake today?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't even know they had that there.
Speaker 2: Me neither good has tastes still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, similar vibe. Sorry to all this trying to escape again. There will be plenty of time for that, but we have to process at this time, which is that Donald Trump was elected to be our forty seventh president. It was up between him and an incredible woman of color, and it's incredibly disappointing.
Speaker 2: For many many reasons. Feels people a different last time. People are fully gonna die because of this. This is the the like sadness across the board of all of my everyone. I know, Yeah, because I.
Speaker 1: Feel like, I mean, yeah, we can't. I won't get into the whole thing, but like last time, it was really a like, Wow, the Libs didn't expect this, and.
Speaker 2: Now it's just like shut up. Everybody was just hoping that.
Speaker 1: We were all like I think that a lot of people weren't even processing that the election was about to happen. Like we all just like voted and we're like okay, okay, okay, okay, we can't think beyond that. Yeah, because we all had hope because there's four crucial years for the environment like these it's four years to easily overturn everything that the US has worked for. M It's one of those things where it feels dramatic because I mean, it doesn't even feel dramatic enough, because I think we're all just aware of, like there's some really ugly forces that are about to get to have their time in the sun, and it's it's very upsetting.
Speaker 2: And so anyway, we just went to we went to the library.
Speaker 1: I checked out so many books, the searching for answers. Yeah, I'm gonna get the ones you recommended to. This sounds amazing and I'm just going to enter my reading era.
Speaker 2: Yes, mama, let's research, but mama, let's research. But fun.
Speaker 1: And then we went to a park and we ate a sandwich and we just like sat and let it just be m hm shitty.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. My flatmate and I went and got day drunk.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that. I took a day and a half of compassionate leave off of work. I love. And we used the voucher that the office gave me from the office move and we spent one hundred and twenty that so much. I love that so much. Yes, we all have agency in this life. I don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I can have hope that a lot of horrible things don't happen. But I'm ready to act and support whoever needs my support in the.
Speaker 2: Next four years. Community.
Speaker 1: I lucky to be in places where there's a lot of interested minds and a lot of community and we'll just all band together and see what happens. Anyway, so we're all actively processing. I know a lot of other generations listen to the podcast, so maybe you'll be interested to hear all of how we're all feeling.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. I saw okay, I saw two tiktoks that made me go like yeah. One was a TikTok of like being a millennial the day after the election and you're on like a zoom work meeting call, and it was like Millennials are like, oh, got to get through this, and boomers are like, oh, tough day, and then like Jen whatever is above, Boomers were like, oh yeah called early. You got to go straight to sleep, and gen Z is not even on the call. I was like hello. And then the other TikTok that I saw was do you know how boring you have to be to be a demographic that's not going to be impacted by this?
Speaker 1: So funny, Yes, we're gonna become an escaping and podcast once again.
Speaker 2: Yes, here we go speaking of demographics, and by demographics I mean geographic locations such as London and Peru Siena. Could you please give us a synopsis of Paddington.
Speaker 1: I absolutely I didn't talk about either of those places in this. Okay, Paddington too, Oh yeah, Paddington all added. In Paddington, a little bear living in London who is from Peru, yes, wants to get a pop up book for his aunt's birthday.
Speaker 2: His aunt is still living in Peru, but he.
Speaker 1: Gets framed for its kidnapping, for its thievery, for the stealing.
Speaker 2: Of this of this theft, for its theft, for the stealing of this.
Speaker 1: Pop up book, when cunning actor and master of disguise, You Grant seals it instead. Paddington is put in prison, where he experiences gags and eventually befriends the inmates, all while his family tries to clear his name from the outside and prove that Hugh Grant is the villain. Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Picture marmalade recipes, Uh pink uh pink dyed prison outfits.
Speaker 2: Uh and uh eccentric neighborhood characters. That's the vibe. Yeah, it is very charming m hm. And he eventually is unframed.
Speaker 1: Yay, yay, my god, this was a delight.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we watched this one. What a little bear?
Speaker 1: What a little little Oh he's so when he is too light to wash the windows, I was to realize that he was just so incredibly light.
Speaker 2: As a feather. He's just a little guy. And then he picks up a potted plant and it's enough to counterbalance the bucket. But then he puts it down and he gets taken back up.
Speaker 1: He works so hard, Leanna, you've said I cannot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, let's get into our phone notes. Oh she's in there. Okay, Oh my god, we're in our phone notes. Hello. Everyone, Welcome to phone Notes, the section of the podcast where we read the notes that the others took the other puss. So the other puss took.
Speaker 1: That's what we're gonna have to start talking about each other, my fellow puss.
Speaker 2: Hey puss the other person took on their phone while watching the film.
Speaker 1: Leona, your first notice, I cannot deal with animals in distress. Okay, is Paddington one of them? Yes?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I don't know what I do you mean by that question and that tone?
Speaker 1: I don't know what I meant after I asked any what hmmm? Because the other animal I'm imagining is the dog who I can't think was ever in distress.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you know, the dog's okay. Thank you, thank you for seeing that there was a dog.
Speaker 1: I was proud of myself and I thought you'd be happy because there are a few times I saw that and I said.
Speaker 2: That dog is good. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I think dogs don't like a wolf pound. I do like a wolf pound. And also, you know how people will like get a soft spot for like babies as they get older. I think that's well, people do it. People do it, lots of people. I think that's me and dogs specifically. I'm starting to really understand why it's so great that they're always in such a good mood. Oh yeah, you proved it. You pointed that out to me one time, and now I'm like, they are in a good mood.
Speaker 2: It could be another time to repost that video of you just not understand that a corgize who was smiling at you. Corgies. I still don't get they're barely a dog, But you shut up right, we've lost all the ground that we had gained.
Speaker 1: If you'll excuse me, I accidentally just shaved the back of a judge's head and I need to find a way to stick the hair back on.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking marmalade. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, your first question and note is do you like marmalade?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where do you fall? I am? I am hesitant to say this, but no, Wow, I always find it very too bitter. There's something about it that I don't like. The mouth peel.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you're a texture person. It has it has weird bite. There's just something there's a bite to it. I love a raspberry jam or preserve, like a bone mamal jar.
Speaker 2: Bone, Mama lemo. But they like orange marmalade. No, you know they have a jam out with the jam. This podcast is brought to you by I do know that. But no, I don't like marmalade. Do you I do?
Speaker 1: And I didn't discover this till a couple of years ago. A couple of years ago, I was helping with stage uh dressing with like dressing uh for with the set?
Speaker 2: Yeah, set dressing on in a play? A stage play? And is that not a term? No, it's just so funny how how many words it took.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know how to say it outside of the film world, Like what is it called on a in a.
Speaker 2: Play like set design scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just I was helping to actually just be one of the assists on build the set. Yeah, setting the set, I don't know what to say. Goodness, set dressing and one of the things we had to put out toast and marmalade, and then I would get to like get the leftovers. Oh h Like I got to take the extra jars of marmalade at the end of the run, and I really enjoyed it. I had never had it before, and I went, oh, my gosh, I see what Pattinson's talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. A little bit of peel.
Speaker 1: It's not too tart, it's not too sweet, it's not it's perfect.
Speaker 2: I love it anyway. I'm a stand.
Speaker 1: It was nice because last time I watched this movie, I was like, what are they talking about? And this time I was like, yeah, huh, you better work.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. And I get it, Like, even though I don't like marmalade, I really understand what they're trying to communicate in this film because if you do like marm like if those sandwiches were filled with raspberry preserves a la, yeah, I would be all over that totally. Leanna, you've said, omg, the steam Fair.
Speaker 1: My parents and I learned about this in York.
Speaker 2: What, Oh my gosh, so that my parents and I. I went to York with your parents. That's nice. Yeah you do, Yes.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 2: We went to dinner with a little time. It was wonderful. They loved it. They were they really ate that up. Oh my gosh. They speak about it often. Well I love that, shouts out. I'll see them in a few weeks. I'll let them know. They're probably listening. I'm sure they are. I So we went to York and we went to the railway, the rail Museum because my dad really wanted to. And there was this steam train that every sign in the museum was talking about called like the Flying Dutchman. It wasn't called that because I think that's Blackbeard's ship from piracy, but some the Flying Scotsman that's what it was. And we were like, where is this train? And we asked somebody at the museum, like, hey, is this train on display because everything is talking about it, but I don't think we've actually seen it, and they were like, no, it's on tour and no one knows where it is at any given time. Because when it came out, it did a world tour and people got so excited that there were riots in the town, like people would set things on fire. So it has to be honest, trample others to go see the train, so it'll like pop up in your town. Sorry, it'll appear like the dragoon in Kirby Air Ride or like a random pillar in Kirby Air Ride.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, that is amazing and incredible and magic is still alive in our world of knowledge, of too much knowledge. And second of all, what year was this that people were lighting fires over a train?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: I think it came out in the early nineteen hundreds, that makes sense then, but it kept touring and it was like recent decades, people were like clamoring, like people throw ass so hard for this one train. What makes it so great as a train? I don't know. We could not really figure that out. It's I love it that. I think it was the first train to go one hundred miles per hour, which is like, okay, sleigh, But the thing is like every train can do that now, So I personally would not set fire to see that. I love that. What do you think is something you would set fire in order to see.
Speaker 1: It's not people.
Speaker 2: That's like an like, you would commit Arsony Arson to see this thing? Yeah, I think so that.
Speaker 1: I would set things on fire. The thing is you can see almost everything on your phone now.
Speaker 2: But in you you see it in person. It can be something that like moves or has some sort of like special capacity. This is a great question. Like Gonzo the Muppet, you would destroy property. It's okay. You know.
Speaker 1: The reason I'm even thinking of Gonzo is because I'm thinking of I wanted I could only think of people, and I'm like, what's the person that's an object?
Speaker 2: About it? Maybe some like.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound that interesting to go look at an object. I'm not that enticed by that.
Speaker 2: I know, I get that, I think and this is kind of a workaround, but I think I would commit Arson to go to puppy yoga. Oh okay, well that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you knew you can only go to puppy yoga by committing Arson. Yeah, now that's interesting.
Speaker 2: And nobody would get harmed, right, only like minor. But you'd be like, da, I'm gonna do it. I gotta do it. I would absolutely set something on fire in order to go to puppy yoga.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, if we're talking experiences, there's a lot more. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't think of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I would not see that set fire to see Gonzo. I'll be honest, I can see it on TV.
Speaker 2: I would set fire too, Gonzo, and I know you would, and you would.
Speaker 6: Sanna.
Speaker 2: Okay, kind of speaking of you've written what Paddington is doing to this man's head is exactly how I felt trying to get T shirts made.
Speaker 1: I didn't even go into this because so much happened this last week, but I had to get T shirts made for a festival.
Speaker 2: We work with this theater a lot.
Speaker 1: I already designed the logo for the festival, so I'm like, yeah, we can make them into T shirts. But it became a horrible situation where like they decided they didn't want the T shirts because they probably won't sell, and then they decided to get it again, and suddenly it was a super rushed situation. So I was like, oh my god, I had to find somebody to do it, and it just became a situation that kept getting worse and worse. Similar to Paddington shaving this man's head and being like, h I'll put marmalade on it. Yeah, I'm at I'm working on this set. And then I get a text being like, hey, can we see if those T shirts will be done soon? And I go and I took the person who's supposed to get him, and I'm like, can you please get him done? And he's like I can't get him done that fast, and I'm like, well, bring you the T shirts. And I get somebody to bring him T shirts. One of my friends did it, like thank god, and I have to send him the logo. But the logo isn't good enough. They need to be like thicker, and so I have to go make it thicker. And I'm like and it's this whole thing, and I change the colors and people don't like the colors, and the colors aren't gonna work on the T shirt, so I changed the colors again and I end up changing them to light purple and yellow and it looks cute and I send it off and it's all good, and we get them back two days ago, and this person didn't alert me that they didn't have the right color purple, so they just used a dark grape purple, and it just looks like brown. It looks horrible, horrible, and I was just staring at it the way that Paddington was staring at this man's bald head. And I was just like, all of this that I did and somehow it looks like this.
Speaker 2: And anyway, it's been like I didn't even talk about it.
Speaker 1: In Hay Girl, but it's been like my last four days has been this little thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we all have situations like that that just keep getting worse and worse and worse, and you look at them and you go, well, I've made an enemy. I now have several enemies who are eyeing me the way that this.
Speaker 2: Judge was, Well, I've made an enemy.
Speaker 1: I loved this judge by the way. He was so funny, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Later he was the perfect grumpy old British man. He's so grumpy.
Speaker 1: He ends up being the judge in his case when he gets convicted, and later he sees he sees Paddington on the train. I loved when the guy offered this judge and his wife some champagne and the judge.
Speaker 2: Goes yes, very civilized, okay. I love before that where he jumps when the server comes out and looks like disgruntled and uh yeah, like who the server has like made his day worse just by I'm going to offer you champagne. Yes, they're one.
Speaker 1: Are people like that, like grumpy old British people? Absolutely stiff up her lip?
Speaker 2: Oh please? Yes? Mm hmmm, Leanna. Okay, some notes from Leanna. You've said his little ears, which is true. He was so cute. You've seen the embodiment of if not friend, why friend shaped when it comes to bears.
Speaker 1: He's so cute, you said, og the shard? Is that the building shard?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the big sky scrape see twice. And I love the shard so much. I point to it every time I see it.
Speaker 1: Is it like which skyscraper?
Speaker 2: Is it the one he's cleaning or is it like the iron Okay, it's the one he's cleaning. And then later when they're escaping from prison in their hot air balloon they fly past it.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, is there a picture of you with it on your Instagram somewhere?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah, okay, I've seen it. Then there's probably multiple. I love the shard, Leonna.
Speaker 1: I love the sentence from you. You've said, this is such accurate swan behavior.
Speaker 2: And what when he's pursuing Hugh Grant on the wolfhound and then he gets kind of like flung over the river and he catches on to the feet of a swan and the swan looks down at him and harasses him and pecks him until he leaves. Do you counter a lot of swans? Why is this so close to there's a lot of swans in parks? Also fun and stupid fact, every swan in England is owned by the king. You can't do anything to a swan because it's the king's property. And I'm not saying I would kick a swan if they weren't owned by the king. I'm not not saying that. So funny. Swans are turds. They're evil, They're such a holes. Yeah, every single swan. God, that country is insane, so goofy.
Speaker 1: How can they take themselves seriously? I guess they don't. I guess that's why they have a lot good comedy, because they're like true.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, yeah, I know, we don't know.
Speaker 1: You guys have problems, but at least you have silly whimsical stuff.
Speaker 2: We do have silly whimsical Did you know have we talked about the neighborhood called Tooting? I think so, yeah. I bring it up often. There's also a tube stop called Googe Street. Uh huh, I can't get over there Googe Street, go going to Goode.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said, shouldn't Paddington have been tried as a minor?
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: He's so young, he's what age is this guy? I don't know because his bear aunt is one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I imagine she was like ninety when she plucked him out of that river. I don't know if that's true at all. They say he's a very small cub, but then he's still a small bear yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He talks about being a cub like in the past, and so it's like, what are you true? Sometimes this movie is not It's like there are a lot of plot holes. Leanna, you've said, Hugh Grant in a robe and a wig cap is healing my soul. O. Hugh Grant was so funny in this movie.
Speaker 2: I adore him in this movie. He's having so much fun and it makes him so handsome and so fun is really really really fun funny.
Speaker 1: It's fun sometimes when British actors pull out the fact that they are like very, very trained actors, so like even when he has to play all these goofy characters, like he can really do it. Yeah, and especially since he's like a movie star Hollywood type. It's fun when you're like, oh right, they were trained, they're actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, octor.
Speaker 1: I loved when the guy from Ghosts is talking about how he was such an attractive nun.
Speaker 2: Yes, a very attractive nun.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the more attractive women.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen, an unusually attractive nun. Oh Ci, I know you wrote the greatest one man show the West End has ever seen. At Leanna, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I just keep thinking about your one woman show and when you think about yourself that or were you completely not thinking about your fate.
Speaker 2: I was trying not to think about my fate in that moment that he's like, I'm going, I know what I'll do.
Speaker 1: I'll mount the greatest one man show that the West End has ever seen. Like, this is literally what it's like to be in England. This is what I'm seeing my friend do. She's doing that right now. This is everyone's experience in England. Everyone has to mount the greatest one man show the way you're looking for money to fund that one woman show, then all you have to do is steal a pop up book from a bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ah, Siena, you wrote tb ah, of course you did, you said, tbh. The gruel looks kind of good.
Speaker 1: The groul looked kind of good.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't. There was a feather in it. He pulled a feather out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: I didn't see the feather. I just saw the oats. It looked like barley or something like. It was like it was like nutritious.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just gross. Oh my god. But I do love gruel a little bit, you do, Leona. I also learn many forms. I wondered. I'm eating vegemite toast right now.
Speaker 1: Oh, Leonna, you've said a radical new future for prisoner rehabilitation.
Speaker 2: So true, so true. That was I think my flatmate definitely said that, and it is accurate. I mean, what a reimagining of the prison system. Yeah, if not this when they put flower boxes out on all the railings and bunting, and they changed the mess hall from picnic tables and benches to little like cabaret seating, so cute. Did you see that they put up a sign that said Aunt Lucy's Tea Room in the mess hall. They renamed it to Aunt Lucy's Tea Room.
Speaker 1: So cute. They don't even know aunt Lucy, I know.
Speaker 2: I said to my flatmate while watching this, I was like, what is it about this movie that it can make me cry at literally any moment? How is it? What is it about it?
Speaker 1: It has the sincerity of a dog. This movie's kind of like a dog, I said it. Yeah, a lot like a dog, I guess.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I think it is like stands dogs. It's cute and sincere. Every dog is very sincere, I see what you mean. And Paddington is a very small and cute, like fuzzy guy, like fuzzy little being. And if ever he's upset, you're upset. And he just loves his aunt so much. Yeah, I don't know that. There's something about it though, where I'm always like on the brink of just a second away from welling up.
Speaker 1: It seems effortless in its style and everything, but it really strikes a really specifically a specific tone which is both quirky and almost a little bit of edge in its quirkiness. But that makes you not get kind of because I can get really grossed out by stuff that's too sweet, you know. Yeah, but it's it's extremely extremely sweet and sincere. But it's still interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's marmalade.
Speaker 1: What it's got a little bite, but it's sweet as can be. Uh, there's a little something extra in there. It makes it a little different than the other sweet jams.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's got some more texture. Yeah, it is super sweet though it is so charming. It's not afraid of being charming. It says, we're gonna charm your little pants off.
Speaker 2: What if every part of the world was delightful and you say, you know what, yes, what if are you deciding between dressing up as a soldier, a nun macbeth, a bald guy with side yeah, or you grant guess what you can be all of those things. Yes, you've got three minutes. We'll see you becoming irate. When Paddington is crying, and there.
Speaker 1: Are two moments that are absolutely disgusting. Function up, when he cries in his cell and then when they think when he.
Speaker 2: Almost dies, when he's drowning, look the eyes and they're like, let it go, well goodbye. I was I was so angry. I was appalled. I was. It was abhorrent.
Speaker 1: Leanna, You've said, don't shush me, Gertrude. I have just been spilled upon by chilled liquid. I love this little He's so funny.
Speaker 2: Very shoot me, Gertrude just been spilled upon by chilled liquid. So silly. I want you to shush Leanna.
Speaker 1: Your last two notes are the very last note is Hugh Grant is excellent in this, which is so so true. And then you also just before that said we are crying so much.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. By which rings? When the bell rings and it's Aunt Lucy. Yeah, they brought her to London. Oh my god, I will say. I mean, you were talking about plot holes. Why can't she just be in London? I don't know.
Speaker 1: She really had to go get her from Peru, a really specific little bear spot also Home for Bears.
Speaker 2: Did the uncle pass away? I think that happens in the first movie, and I think I've blocked it out. Yeah, I don't remember the first movie at all. I think there's some sort of reason why he comes to London and she stays in Peru at the Home for Retired Bears or whatever the title of it is. And I think it's because the uncle has passed, and she's like, I don't want you to have to spend your whole life looking after me. My god, but I could be wrong, but I think that's right. Yeah. Well you haven't bolded this, but one of your final notes is and this is just so true.
Speaker 1: Ah, so cute. Yeah, well you gonna show you move on to badges and trages talk a little more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have so many badges. Oh my gosh, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, uh, next, we're going to move on to badges and trages where we give badges for bears and trages.
Speaker 2: For trained actors who deceive. You can't trust an actor, No, you can't for a living. That was so funny and true, Leanna, you go ahead. Oh, a badge for such creative animation, the sequence where he's imagining him and Aunt Lucy in London but going through the pop up book. Yeah, so cute. I loved that, so cute. We're not getting animation like that, not really.
Speaker 1: My first badge is for his bedroom, so cute. I love a little upstairs, lofty bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, such a dream. A badge for this fair It looked so fun to go to, so fun.
Speaker 1: Badge for Hugh Grant as this villain actur. He continued to be like Macbeth, shut up, Macbeth, don't say that, and like he's a master of disguise.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: I loved him so much.
Speaker 1: Oh and I see that this villain has beautiful blue eyes. Yeah, he was really good Percy. I'm glad he's at the point of his career where he just gets to be funny villains.
Speaker 2: He's just having fun, so talented, So good. Badge for the newspaper that Brendan Gleeston is reading while Paddington prepares the marmalade. It's called The Hard Times and then all of it's punny headline, So fun.
Speaker 1: Badge for a little nook by a window when he's sat. He crawls up to a little nook by the window and looks out the window in his little cell and he can fit there.
Speaker 2: Whenever we saw his round little butt, I got really emotional. He's just so small. Round badge for crocs. Brendan Gleason aka Knuckles McGinty, the chef is wearing crocs. He was very funny in this. I love him in this. He's so good. Everybody does such a great job yeah. Yeah, I don't do nothing for no one for nothing.
Speaker 1: Those actors over there across the pond, they give it there all. They are clearly trained in school to leave it all.
Speaker 2: On the floor. Oh yeah, leave it all on the court.
Speaker 1: It's the floor, the right thing. I don't think it is, Okay, well, I.
Speaker 2: Think actually the stage.
Speaker 1: On the stage, okay, yeah, not on the floor. Sorry, I'm from America. Uh badge for the dessert sequence. After first of all, there's the marmalade, and then they're all like, oh, we can all make our desserts.
Speaker 2: I remember my my dessert recipe, and they all make desserts and they're stunning. It was a dream. It was a dream. It genuinely is so dreamy. Yep.
Speaker 1: My partner Kelsey, has started to realize that most movies or pieces of entertainment that I enjoy are ones that feature food in them.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also am starting to realize that I do. I love food. I love seeing it on TV. Is rat a two wee on our list? I don't know. We should watch rat a twee next week? We should? Okay, let's do it. We're following our id. I was gonna propose that from now until forever we only watch movies directed by women. But I think also we should watch Ratity directed by What a Woman Wants directed by a rat.
Speaker 1: I love Ratitude because it's an important film directed by a rat representation man.
Speaker 2: Oh A badge for Paddington's chef's hat is also pink pink uniforms, so cute.
Speaker 1: A badge for the scene where the inmates introduce themselves and they all pop out of the sides, specifically when the guy was like mad dog.
Speaker 2: I love the politician character who's like, yeah, I hope I can count on that vote, and later he's like, I couldn't possibly, I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Possibly call it.
Speaker 2: That's just funny. Whatever happened to just being funny?
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: A badge for Simon Farnabee's character he's a guard at St. Paul's Cathedral when he sees none Hugh Grant across the rotunda. The way that he says OI is like, Oi, it's so good. I want to go rewatch that. After this, I rewound to see it again when it happened. He's just funny, you know what.
Speaker 1: This movie has some examples of of of men doing the correct thing, which is making me laugh.
Speaker 2: And the humor in it is so silly, like it's just fun and it's so lighthearted. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or when Paddington turns around and he's like, mister Gruber, please be serious, be serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's wearing it. When the dad does the splits between the two training.
Speaker 1: I that badge for that. You know what I'm gonna make this badge for when he does the splits and he remembers his his training training whatever I forget his special yoga class was called. Yeah, he remembers his training and he he locks in and he does the splits.
Speaker 2: He does he goes full Jean Claude Vendam, so silly, it's beautiful. That was my badge, so you're next. My badge is basically that it's for mister Brown is so funny in this. I think that actor is so great and so fun and all of his little micro expressions are so fun to watch, like the double take he does when Paddington is cleaning his office window. Great a badge for the moments in the credits of Puns again, like the little scrap book of their day in London. They go to see a play and it's mcbear's and then Knuckles opens the sandwich shop and it's called Knuckles Sandwiches a on. So cute, so funny. I love Macbeth mcbearth.
Speaker 1: Badge for the judge actor was really making me laugh by the end.
Speaker 2: My final badge is Hugh Grant's line during the musical number where he's like, it turns out I didn't need a West End stage at all, just a captive audience. What am I like? Guards? Lock me up? Oh you already did my My final badges for the post credits scene of of Hugh Grant's big musical scene.
Speaker 1: It was so funny, so charming. I love that they knew that wouldn't go in the movie. They knew that would go post credits, and I love that they decided to do the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh and everyone's enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Everyone's so happy that he's bringing his Also that what was that from what they were singing?
Speaker 2: Bit bit bet? I thought it was an original, Maybe it is.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Oh hear the rain going? I could watch that forever so good. Oh oh, I'm sorry. I have one more badge that I forgot, which is the neighborhood panic level.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Chart there's that one anxious name, doctor us Peter Capaldi.
Speaker 1: I have I have now set the neighborhood panic level to I forget what it was too, something like whatever whatever the maxims, which was incredibly funny.
Speaker 2: But I love that. It's not like that. It's the panic level chart. How much should neighborhood be panicking? It's not like fire danger high today, it's like panic level of maximum. That's just true trages, trages.
Speaker 1: I only have two tragis me too. My first trage is for sad Paddington.
Speaker 2: Why are you going to That's one of my trages is a trage for oh my god, it gets really real sometimes, which is like Paddington getting sentenced to ten years in prison. Yeah, Paddington confronting mortality and he almost drowns and they both seedless. So I looked away. I said, I've seen this once before. I'm not watching that again too much. But when he cries specifically, I said, so sad, that is not acceptable. And when he's a little cub who's about to die going a little waterfall at the beginning, uh, too much. I don't need to think about that.
Speaker 1: My final traged is for I want to live in this world where everyone is friends and they're all cute, and there's Paddington's life, and right now I.
Speaker 2: Could really use that. My other tradge is a white person with dreadlocks. Oh my god, where was that. It's like the great granddaughter at the fair who tells the mom the lore behind the flip book, you know, the pop up book. Yeah, well the honor.
Speaker 1: Should we move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film? This is for You are at the steam event what is it.
Speaker 2: Called the steam Fair? The steam Fair?
Speaker 1: You are at the Steam Fair which has rolled into town surprisingly, and you go.
Speaker 2: Oh, huh, overnight the Flying Scotsman has appeared.
Speaker 1: Flying Scotsman has appeared and you go to see it, and uh, what's who Grant's name in this?
Speaker 2: Oh it's like Phoenix pickle, Yes, what I knew. It started with a p.
Speaker 1: Phoenix has lit something on fire to see the train, and you go, you didn't need to commit arsony, it's here already.
Speaker 2: All that very civilizers. And he puts on a fake mustache and glasses and he goes, you did he speaking to you? More and more disguises come to come on to him with each line, which we'll discover over the course of this segment, and he says, Wow, putting on a disguise and seeing a steam train really makes me puts me in character, much like my favorite man in film. Of course, Phoenix. What's his ass Hugh Grant in Paddington I I bet you haven't seen it, and I bet you don't know how delightful it is. And I will definitely fill you in and not take away from that delight with this spiel, which I'm going to begin in three two.
Speaker 1: And in order to stop Phoenix from monologuing at you about about Paddington too, or about this film, we will give you a few things that you can say to pretend you've seen the film Paddington two mm.
Speaker 2: Phoenix draws on a beauty mole as I'm saying this to him to add to his disguise, and I say, oh my god, Phoenix, of course I've seen Paddington two. All there is to say from you is, I mean, really, you're stealing my joy at this steamfair right now? Stop thief, thief.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's some trivia about the film. Yes, uh, Phoenix, I have seen the film Paddington two. Fun fact Hugh Grant's favorite costume in this movie was the nun outfit.
Speaker 2: Yes, m a. As I'm speaking to him, Phoenix is putting on a a pretty slay bob wig. Actually, I say, oh my gosh, that's actually a great look, Phoenix. Yes, I've seen Paddington two. And if you don't keep speaking to me, I'm gonna kill you. And one of the guards that the steam fair goes forget the medic better send a priest. I loved that.
Speaker 1: That was so funny, so fun Yes, as I'm talking to Phoenix, he puts on a pair of cat ears and I go, well, we all know that you're not that, but it's still very slay. Goes well with a bob And then I say to Phoenix, I say, yes, Phoenix, I have seen the film Paddington too.
Speaker 2: Fun fact.
Speaker 1: This film did even better than the first film. It's known for being one of the better sequels, earning seven point nine stars versus the first one, which got seven point two. I think it deserves ten. Also fun fact, Nicole Kidman wanted to be in this film, to which I say, girl, take a break. She was in the first one.
Speaker 2: She does so much. Oh, she was, Yeah, she's get in the first one wig.
Speaker 1: She she is too many places. I'm sorry, I see her too much in every day she is working and everything she's booked. Phoenix adds a really slay cloak, almost like he's in like the Phantom of the Opera or something, and he puts the hood on, and I say, well, this is kind of really you're looking great, Phoenix, but stop speaking to me about film. Of course, I've seen Paddington too. I'm not gonna keep speaking with you about it. Why I don't do nothing for no one for nothing?
Speaker 2: Oh? I love watching you learn. It's so cute. Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Phoenix puts on a ghost costume and I go, whoa, yes Phoenix, And I say, yes, Phoenix, I have seen the film Paddington too. Some more fun facts about this film. Sally Hawkins, who was in Shape of Water, flew one day after filming The Shape of Water.
Speaker 2: She flew in honestly it shows it was one day.
Speaker 1: After her underwater scenes in the Shape of Water.
Speaker 2: She pops, right, what do you mean? There's just an energy to her in every movie that's like you fucked a fish. Yes, there is actually mm hmm. I mean in this one, she wants to swim the channel and he gets why. I just really got to see that channel. No reason I would find it really satisfying to swim the channel.
Speaker 1: And then also, fun fact, this is Hugh Grant's favorite movie he made, which makes sense. This was probably so fun for him to be and he got to just pop off. Yeah, like as an atler, he gets you all these things. They make you a heart throb for your life whatever, you're like, a celebrity whatnot. And then you finally just get to be a goofy villain guy who's.
Speaker 2: Like a scamming and eating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really slayed. He slaid ass. He slaid ass.
Speaker 2: And with that, Phoenix takes out a little thing in his hands and he throws it on the ground and he disappears in a puff of smoke. Thank god. And we bored the steam train into our next segment should you watch this or in which we tell you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your sentence with you, I just remember that his great great relative was the magician who killed yeah, his grandfather. Mm hmmm, I guess that was relevant. Well, the hoto. What do you think? Oh my gosh, yes, yes, you should watch Paddington too. Oh great, I don't Yeah, I love that. I would say, yes, you should watch Paddington too. Yeah, it was a delightful time. It was not too much of anything.
Speaker 1: It was just really really nice and everything is crazy right now, and it was actually.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful. It's diverting need needfully. It's soothing necessarily. Yeah, it was nice. It was nice. They did a good job Paddington too. I would give Paddington to five marmalade sandwiches, but preferably with Bonam Raspberry preserve out of five. I love it. It's got pretty much every it's got a dog, it's got a musical number, it's got whimsical silly humor. It's got sparkles. Yep, I love it. How about you, Sienna Me?
Speaker 1: I would give this film uh five neighborhood morning traditions out of five. It's a light would recommend. They did a really good job. It's just very funny and very cute and I.
Speaker 2: Can watch it a million times. The actors are really really good. Can I give a meta badge to society for having acknowledged that this is pretty much a perfect feling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt that way too.
Speaker 1: It's like everyone was into this, and I see why.
Speaker 2: I love that. So many people are like, my favorite movie is Paddington Too. They just nailed it, and you're like, yeah, well, Leanna, we've watched Paddington too and it was wonderful and.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go watch that part where he says oil.
Speaker 2: Oid.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. We are Toss Popcorn. You can find us at Toss Popcorn on Instagram. We posted delightful memes, et cetera, and you can follow us on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn if you want to support us.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it so much.
Speaker 1: It really helps. Thank you for everybody who's already supporting. And you can join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 2: I mean, do we want to just do ratitudey and then films by women.
Speaker 1: We're doing what we want and we're gonna watch ratatue because we like a little guy and food right.
Speaker 2: Now, a little guy see what the world needs. Thank you, We love you.
Speaker 1: We can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I shocked you so much with that. I was like, what's she gonna say? I could see you were you were gearing up for something. Is it gonna be like bear? What is it? Bone? Mam