Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on the stock movers report the company's making moves at the close of US trading, with Carol Masser, Tim Stenoveck, Romain Bostik, and Katie Greifel.
Speaker 3: All Right, guys, let's go do some individual gainers, if we may marvel that is your number one gainer in the Nasdaq one hundred, a gain of about eighteen percent for the Friday trade, chip maker, saying it's year over year revenue growth rate we'll accelerate each quarter throughout fiscal twenty twenty seven, so definitely seen as a bullish sign, but also a bush target that shows soaring demand from data center related application, So some enthusiasm on that and what has been some nervousness certainly with the AI spend trade. Hey, let's go on over to Costco. This was a top performer a little bit earlier in the Nasdaq one hundred, but still finishing the day with a game of a one point six percent. Quarterly profit rose more than expected membership fees something that was being watched closely, totaling one point thirty six billion during the quarter, beating expectations and The company says it's gained market share as it's bulk sizes and unique selection of goods draw in shoppers looking for value. I also heard something about selling cakes or something that apparently that is something of interest.
Speaker 1: So anyways, cakes sold cakes.
Speaker 3: I guess it's a strategy going forward.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, who doesn't love a cake. Let's go on over to Boeing up about four percent. Number two gainer, I know, no segue there, Number two gainer in the S and P five hundred. Boeing closing in on a five hundred.
Speaker 5: Grede delivery Carol.
Speaker 3: That's the cake delivery on a plane on a Boeing. Wow, no moss grown over there? Well done, well said, He's always.
Speaker 4: Here for me.
Speaker 3: Boeing closing in on a five hundred aircraft order for seven thirty seven Max Decks to be unveiled when President Trump travels to Beijing for his first state visit to China SITS twenty seventeen. Two sides are said to be in talks for a wide body sale that includes about one hundred and Boeing seven eighty seven Dreamliners and Triple seven ex Jets, which would likely be announced at a later great date. If this materializes, keep in mind this is not a confirmation. It would capy years of negotiations between Boeing and China's airlines and a lengthy and a lengthy order drought from the world's second biggest aviation market. This is big news. If this ultimately happens, it's a huge order and it's a huge market for Boeing. And as we know, China is also working on developing its own jet market.
Speaker 5: Yeah the Comac Yeah, okay, this guy loves me to compete with the seven thirty seven. Let's talk about some alternative asset managers, including Blackrock, that took a hit today, down seven point seven percent. This after a series of negative private credit eventstered fresh concerns over the health of the industry. For Blackrocks, specifically, it was about the company, the asset manager, curbing withdrawals from its twenty six billion dollar HPS corporate Lending fund after client requests for redemption spiked at CAPRI purchases at five percent. It just adds to the worries that have been plaguing the private credit industry, and we saw other alternative asset managers fall today as well, taking a look at airlines because they have been under serious pressure in recent days over the war in Iran. We saw travel stocks take a hit online travel agencies are sliding to oil pricing prices higher. That's a bad thing for all of these companies. Also add on that jobs report that we got earlier today, and that could mean a consumer that is less willing to spend on stuff like this. The airlines industry and actually airline stocks down a little more than twenty percent from the highs just about a month ago. This is the S and P fived S ANDP fifteen hundred Airlines index. That's down twenty two percent from February six, so that's officially in a bear market. We also did get a note from an analyst over at Deutsche Bank that said that the price of jet fuel and oil the spread between those during the war, poses an existential threat to US airlines. So keep an eye on airlines as we do enter a bear market for that industry. And finally, Chairs of Gap taking a hit today, falling more than fourteen percent, this after the company reported fourth quarter sales and profit that came in slightly below expectations. Old Navy and Athleta missed comp sales estimates gap and been at a Republic did beat the company though, forecasting a better profit than expected for their current year and sales within estimates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just how honorable mention too. I just want to just point out the chip stocks here. We did see the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index close down about four percent, and of course a big drag lower here because of a lot of those issues with apparently whether that AI spend is continuing a great scoop earlier today, that Oracle and Open Ai apparently dialing back their plans for that Stargate, that big Stargate data center down there in Texas. Meanwhile, we take a look at the yield space, and it was quite an interesting week. In fact, the biggest weekly sell off that we've seen in benchmark treasury yields since at least all last April amid all of the Liberation Day ructions. Those are the numbers on a daily basis, and the reason why they're basically flat is because there was really the push pull because between the concerns about what's going on in the Middle East and concerns about of course what's going on with that Job's report. Of course, the job support that would actually suggest the potential for a cutting rates, But of course the inflationary pressures and what's going on in Iran actually maybe potentially making the case to actually hike rates overall or higher on a weekly basis on your two year by about eighteen points on your tenure by about twenty points from where we were just last Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're at this interesting moment in time, and I think everybody says I was reading a Bloomberg column. You know, we have to get an idea of how long this war's going to last, because that's going to certainly determine the impact. I mean, we're looking at what WTI crewed up almost forty percent this week alone. So you know, you think about the jobs report this morning that was weaker than forecast. You've got inflationary pressures that are still out there, you know, dare we say stagflation, and you just think about the predicament this presents not only for the US economy, but the global economy and for central bankers around the world.
Speaker 5: We spoke to ellen Wald of Transversal earlier. She wrote the book on Saudi Arabia and at Ramco Bailey and She said, if this crisis, at least from an oil perspective, from an energy perspective, doesn't get solved next week, we're already on the cusp of a crisis, and we could see a full blown crisis, she said, We could see hundred and twenty dollars a barrel oil in a very short period of time if this doesn't get figured out.
Speaker 4: And I have to imagine the knock on effect, Like we've been talking, what does that ultimately mean for inflation? What does that mean for consumers? And certainly when you see a VIX that's getting back towards thirty and you see investors selling down companies exposed to the AI bubble, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: But also on the energy front too. I mean, we talk about that ninety eight dollars a barrel ninety one, Carol Masser. We were at eighty one yesterday and we were like, what at like sixty just a little while ago. But it's already fed through. I mean, if you look at on your Bloomberg terminal triple A gas prices on a weekly basis, they're up by about ten to eleven percent. Here that's the price that you see at the pump the average price, we should point out, but it's actually now up six straight sessions that had already been rising prior to that. In fact, it had actually been up for about four straight weeks prior to this week here, and that starts to become the real impact, you know, the potential economic drag that I think a lot of us were hoping we would avoid. That's why you had folks like Muhammadalarian talking about stagflationary winds blowing. And I don't know if you saw all the FED speakers that Mike had on today. I mean, look, it's front and center, and when's that meeting. That's like a week and a half. But they got to meet and start talking about this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly right, And so what do they do? So, you know, with inflationary pressure still above the Fed's target, it continues to be that way, you've got to kind of assume that the FED is going to be very careful and certainly not do anything. Certainly not a cut, but certainly you know, have to be on their inflation watch, right Cole exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What has kel? She said? Are they going to pay out if I win?
Speaker 5: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: This stock mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street, and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.