Speaker 1: Welcome to Desperately Devoted.
Speaker 2: Think of us as your favorite neighbors as we chat about life and relationships, all.
Speaker 3: While we revisit the iconic show Desperate Housewives together.
Speaker 2: I'm Terry Hatcher, I'm Andrea Bowen, and I'm Emerson Tenny. Well, welcome back, everybody. Welcome back to Desperately Devoted. Today, we are desperately devoted to another person that we're so excited is here on the show today. We have another incredible cast member who I think, more than anyone this season, has deeply surprised us in their character. As we've been rewatching, I think, like many of the other husbands, there's your first first hint on the show. He added so much depth and weight and quality to the storytelling that I, for one, feel like when the show was actually on in its first run, I feel like, in hindsight, the husbands did not get the attention that they deserved, and this person definitely falls into that category. I feel personally so fortunate that I've been able to keep in touch with him. He's an incredible actor, an incredible person, and well, without further ado, please welcome Ricardo Shevira.
Speaker 1: Yay, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: We're so happy.
Speaker 5: It's great to see you guys, and thanks for having me. I'm I'm happy to do it very much.
Speaker 2: So we just have to jump off and just say that, like Carlos more than anyone, I mean, all the husbands really helped tell the story of the journey of all the wives, like you couldn't do it without the handholding of both of the people in the couples. Now, our jumping off point has to be how did you get involved and how were you cast? And do you have stories about that? I mean, we would love to hear.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I was only out of graduate school.
Speaker 5: Let's say I'd finished my graduate training program two thousand, So I was only out graduate school like three three and a half years, and I had booked several really good jobs, but nothing of this magnitude. And so I was actually up in Seattle working at Seattle Rep.
Speaker 4: Doing a play that was a the was a co pro. So it was.
Speaker 5: December January doing the play up in Seattle, and then like May June July doing it over in Kansas City. So when I got home to Los Angeles after finishing it in Seattle, you know, I was kind of settling back in and pilot season was in full swing and a buddy of mine was very much a character actor plays like a lot of like criminal types and things like that. He shows up to my apartment because he'd been watching it, and he shows up in a suit, and I just started.
Speaker 4: Laughing and I was like, what job did you not get?
Speaker 5: And and he's like, man, whatever, you know, and he's like, actually, you should read for it. He goes, I think it's right for you. And it was the Carlos character for Househouse. So I get it and I read it and I'm like, he's right, okay. So I call my and they're like, oh my god, yes, we've we have chased this up and down. Scott Jenkincher was kind of handling the casting at the time, along with the Oh god, who was it Jenny Lewry Johnson's office.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 5: And so they're like, we've pitched this to Scott and you know, Scott loves you. He gave you your SAG card, which he tapped hard lead me, like when I first got to La. So he was like, you know, he just doesn't think you can be suave enough.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, realting he doesn't think you can be.
Speaker 5: So and I no, no, no, it's Scott and I go back and forth on this all the time.
Speaker 2: But it's really interesting, like how I mean, that's just I know, we're not like dishing on him or anything, but it is interesting how people get it in their head about something that you are, and how it often falls back in our court that you have to go prove somebody different, I think.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I think what it was is a lot of the things that he had me on auditioning for up until that point where a lot of like blue collar civil servant type for you know, like policemen, detectives, things like that, and this was a character that was, you know, a very high fluten character, a money kind of guy, you know, the white collar crime, business sector, all that stuff. Yeah, and so I think his thought was like, this is not what Ricardo does. And so when my reps told me that, I was like, get me the audition, and they were like, oh, I said, no, no, no, do it.
Speaker 4: I have a point to prove.
Speaker 5: So they got me an audition and it was on a Saturday morning, which Terry, I mean, you know, a Saturday morning audition is the kiss Nobody's showing up.
Speaker 1: My audition was also on a Saturday. I wonder if we auditioned on.
Speaker 4: Because it was then.
Speaker 2: I had an audition once on a Saturday. My Saturday audition was the first movie I ever did, was called The Big Picture and it was with Kevin Bacon and Christopher Guest was directing it. And on Friday they had fired the girl playing my part. They were already shooting, and so on Saturday they read like five actresses with Heaven Bacon on a Saturday, and then on Monday they picked somebody to go to work, and then I went to work and started filming, and that's how I got that movie, and that was my first movie. But it was a Saturday. I never remember anything Ricardo, so I don't know why that's.
Speaker 4: Well for me.
Speaker 5: My experience up to that point had been like the couple Saturday auditions I had gone to, Like there was one I went to and nobody even showed up, so it was just like, okay, you know, so I got a Saturday audition, great, and I'm not swabbing enough, so this is going really well for me already. And then I get there and it's Juny I think it was Junie Larry Johnson.
Speaker 4: It was JUNI was there in the room, Scott was in the room.
Speaker 5: And Mark Cherry was in the room, and so I was like, oh, our main person is here on a Saturday. And so I was like, oh okay, and you know, I said, okay, well let me present the material. And I presented the material and Mark's over there looking at a very old headshot of mine, which I was like, I just got no headshots.
Speaker 4: Why did they have an old head shot? I don't understand this. And all of a.
Speaker 5: Sudden, he just so many things and then he just kind of looks up and he does this little look and he's like Ricardo and I just, all of a sudden, I was like, oh, I just got this.
Speaker 4: I know, I just booked this role. Yeah, I knew it right there, Like.
Speaker 2: So sad I was, by the way, that was a really good impression of him. I could see him sounding exactly like, you did it really well.
Speaker 5: So so and and then they had the next time I met with them, and it was a work session with the director Charles McDougal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But here's something that a lot of people don't know, which is when I went through this when I want to hear this process. I actually did the entire audition and I also taped the entire pilot with the Spanish accent.
Speaker 3: Wow, and at what point did that change?
Speaker 5: So we shot the whole thing and they were they were getting ready to we were getting ready to go into shooting the season, and they made a decision and Michael Edelstein was part of this. I think he was the primary on it. They wanted me to come in and reloop via Adr in all those.
Speaker 4: Scenes, and we recorded all the lines.
Speaker 5: Without the accent, and Edelstein gave me a call and he was like, look, it's not that we don't like it. It's not that we don't think that you can do it. He's like, but seriously, do you want to do that for five, six, eight seasons? Should this thing go that far? He goes, I just don't think that that's a good idea. He goes, I really think that we should use her natural voice.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: So it was more like, you think it was more about the longevity of having to stay in that voice, or do you think.
Speaker 4: It was I think it was a little bit of that.
Speaker 6: I think it was also like, you know, I think they were just questioning me in general at that point, like maybe they weren't sure about her. So And it's kind of funny because I think I remember somebody telling me that, like it's like you don't really realize how, you know, like on the.
Speaker 7: Cutting forward you or like on the on the on the fence, we were about you like maybe possibly recasting if I couldn't do this in a natural voice that they felt suitable for.
Speaker 4: The character, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: So, and then on top of it, they set aside, I think a whole day, eight or ten hours to do the ad R. And this is like, I mean, there's significant scenes in the pilot, you know, between you know, the the Gabby character and my character and my mixing in with everybody else went in and did it all of it.
Speaker 2: Wow, what do you I think? I consider myself a very good looper. Also, what do you attribute that time?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: When I was in graduate school, my speech teacher she always said that I had a really good ear for being able to like, you know, catch intonations and and and mimic and do that kind of stuff. And then it was just simply a matter of like, Okay, we're using that ear and then watching the screen and watching the mouth, you know, watching watching the mouth movements on the screen, and then.
Speaker 4: Just time me, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I feel I feel like mine came from my dance background, which just allowed me to have such a deep cellular understanding of rhythm and the musicality of something. And I feel like it just made me be able to listen to a line and then like understand exactly how I was of it was.
Speaker 4: Ry is time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So it's there's a timing aspect that's going on there, and for some reason, it just it's never been an issue for me. I can use it, get in and out of adr sessions really fast.
Speaker 2: So they changed the accent, you did the looping, And then I'm wondering this question I'm going to have, which I know the girls have because I think our takeaway of the first season and I'm not I'm sure you probably haven't watched it in a in a while, but we've just seen every single episode. I did not remember Carlos being as violent and abusive. I mean, I was going to say, yeah, when when did you know that Carlos was such a bad guy in this first season.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're such a lovely guy. Carlos is really rough and problematic.
Speaker 4: And that.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean, so there's a lot of things that I can kind of talk.
Speaker 4: Let's see, how do I ward this? You know.
Speaker 5: The thing is is I don't I don't necessarily know that they were really sure what they wanted to do with the character in the beginning, and so it's very easy.
Speaker 4: It's nothing, It's very easy. It's just you can.
Speaker 5: Writing in black or white, which is then a two dimensional character is a is a simpler way to go than trying to write the gray strands between the black and the white. That actually flushes out a character and gives a character their three dimensionality. So I and I think that that's kind of where they were with this character.
Speaker 4: They didn't know, they.
Speaker 5: Didn't know what to do with him, because I think they didn't know what to do with me as an actor, you know, I mean, I was kind of that that unknown variable in the cast.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I didn't have a lot of credits, you know, I'd just gotten out of graduate school, and they didn't know a lot about me. I think they were trying to suss me out in the same way that I was trying to suss them out. And then and then add to that, you know, there was a certain a certain male actor who I will not name, who liked to go around season one saying, well, you know, any of us guys can get killed at any time. And so, you know, for a young actor right out, you know, only a few years out of graduate school, I'm walking around going like, oh my god, I'm lose my job, so you know, and then and then on top of it, you know, and I'm just gonna be very frank here. It's like to be sitting across a dining room table in that first big dining room table scene that we did in season one, you know, opposite a Terry Hatcher and opposite of Marsha Cross, and it's like, I'm sitting here going like what the fuck am I doing here? Excuse my French, but it's like it's like.
Speaker 4: How did I am? Is this imposter syndrome? Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: I think it's really charming that you've felt that way, because I have to say, I am completely with you on every job I've ever had, I am waiting to be fired, including this one. Like I mean, so I was living in the same insecure headspace that you were. I have that too, I really do.
Speaker 3: Every time my manager calls, I'm like.
Speaker 2: So wow, that's by the way, are you talking about the scene when B says Rex cries when he ejaculate. Yes, Yes, what an amazing, amazing scene.
Speaker 5: That one and that whole first season. The writing was just off the chart, so good.
Speaker 1: You know, have you rewatched any of it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: And if I'm being really really transparent, I've watched I've watched none of my scenes ever.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I've never I can't watch myself.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 5: That just goes back to like theater, so like because like you know, when I'm doing a play, I don't get to see the performance, right of course, you know, so I cannot watch myself at all. It's it's even distracting to see my little corner here on my screen that has me in it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, let us just tell you you're so good. I mean, you're you know what I was saying in the intro That really came up for us as we've been reflecting, because you know, you heard a lot about the Housewives and the show was a big success, and then there was lots of like pr craziness. But what you didn't hear about is, you know, people talking about how great the husbands were. I mean, they did, but they didn't really in the way that they should have. And the show would have been nowhere without you, guys, and it it you you were, you were so good in it. So I mean, we're just happy to tell you you look and act great on screen if you've never seen well.
Speaker 5: So what I would do is when I was home, because you know, i'd be playing back at home to San Antonio, Texas, where my son was very little at the time, and I was trying to get back there to be with him and his mother. And so what I would do is we would have a screaming of the show on Sunday night, and I would sit in there and watch everyone else's scenes, and then, you know, knowing the script, when I knew that my scene was about to come up, I would go into the other room and I would listen to it, but I wouldn't watch it. Well yeah, and then and then I'd get critiques from from his mother or her friends or sisters that were you know, there watching it, and they'd let me know whether I did a good job or not a good job, and I would go with that and you know, figure out how to approach the next episode.
Speaker 2: So do you remember struggling with the level of intensity, Like there was a scene that I'm recalling where you grabbed her wrist and you were trying to get her to sign like a post not a postp not posting up a piece of paper, and then you like were yelling in her ear like but then there was also you know, a scene where you're in the bathtub with bubbles, like being silly, Like do you remember for having like a particular moment where you would say to Mark, like, I think we've gone too far, like I can't be this violent?
Speaker 4: Did that?
Speaker 5: Or Latino character for Latino actor or Latino male actor. These are tropes and stereotypes that were used to that's how those characters are written or had been written. So but also I think the industry has gotten away from that. When you're dealing with comedy. That's the easiest way to go, I think in terms of writing, because it's so definitive, so and it's and it's and it's something that everybody can access. You know, we all know that Latino guy that is like hot headed or whatever, or the guy that's very passionate, very dunhuanish. So those are and those are stereotypes that have been around for centuries.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's so interesting because we've talked about the ways in which the show has aged and the ones in which it's aged well or its relevance is still really felt for us, and then we've talked about certain things that have come up that we think, oh, that's clearly dated. It feels marked of that certain time. So it's interesting to hear you add that perspective about it.
Speaker 5: If you guys are going to keep which which I hope you do first off, because I think this is great. But if you're going to continue going down in season two, three, four, I mean, there's going to be some humor that you're going to see that it's like.
Speaker 4: Now completely dated, and.
Speaker 5: There are some things that back then I even voiced my concerns about when like I but I mean again, Terry, like, it's not season one, no way, I would have never done it.
Speaker 2: But in the whole in the whole series, do you have I mean, both for good and bad. Do you have like favorite moments, like the most fun something that you had an experience with a fellow castmate or the particular time of writing for Carlos, Like, even in any of the seasons, is there something that stands out that you think super fans would enjoy hearing about it?
Speaker 5: It's like, I what I loved was and like there were you know, the ladies always had their poker knite, right, there was one time one season where we did a guy's poker knite and I was like, I wish we would have done more of that. Yeah, and then I think that was a season that was a season that.
Speaker 4: Do Gray Scott was with us.
Speaker 5: Okay, so and then the one of the other things was when my character had to become roommates with James Denton's character. Who I mean, James and I still keep in contact. I absolutely love him to death, and.
Speaker 2: I just went, we just got to go to dinner the other night. So the next time you're in LA that's a it's a it's a it's a it's gonna be Edelstein. These two girls meet you and James that I would love it.
Speaker 5: I would love it, you know, but but he they put us together like I was staying at his house and there was just like like I had a girl over or something and there was just this real awkward moment between both of us, and we just loved working together. I mean, he and I have kicked around like so many times like we should do some sort of theatrical show together, like a new version of The Odd Couple or something. I just I think the world of him and I'd love to work with him on anything.
Speaker 4: He's just a jet.
Speaker 1: I had a memory come up for me when we were at dinner, and I'm wondering if you remember this first season when we were promoting the show they had they had some event kind of like an upfront for ABC in Toronto, and they sent you and me, do you talk about an Odd Couple?
Speaker 4: Do you remember that? I absolutely remember that. I was going to bring it up to you. I so remember that because I was like, this is weird, Like she you little, and I'm like, you know, and I was like I know.
Speaker 1: We were like, we're here to talk about this show, Desperate Housewives. Neither one of us are housewives obviously, but it's great and these are our roles and you should watch the show. And I have really fond memories of that with you.
Speaker 5: That was for what that was for CTV or something like that in Toronto and Canada.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something something like that.
Speaker 1: But we went, we were tourists in Toronto together, and I remember that very fondly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you're and you and your parents were there too.
Speaker 4: Right, My mom was with us. Yeah, that's right, I remember that. Ye. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well along those lines like experiences like that, did you feel like in high like, how did Desperate Housewives change your life? Change your career for the good or the bad or whatever? Like, how how has it resonated in the last fifteen years?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: My god, I mean it was absolutely life changing for me, you know, you know, I was I was a struggling Oh and that maybe not that struggling. I mean, at that point I was working pretty consistently, but you know, recurring roles and guest stars and some you know, some small roles in films. But this was like a huge turning point for me, you know, in terms of my career, in terms of money and all that stuff. I mean, it just it really kind of put me on the map, I guess, you know, for for casting. But then it's like, you know, I was also on the show for eight years, you know, and and what that did in terms of the family that was created. I e our crew, you know which you know I still keep in touch with so many of our crew members from Housewives.
Speaker 4: I mean it was you and I both.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're a lot with the crew, like I was really good for I mean, DDA went camp with me and I know you've done that. What's that amazing walk you do in Spain?
Speaker 5: We did and I did the Camino Santiago together three years ago and a half years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I've always wanted to my friend just walk to the Camino and she's writing a movie called Camino that's like a period piece set on the Camino, and I as I've always wanted to say, so Emerson.
Speaker 4: So I did it.
Speaker 5: I did it with d Da Coscas, who is our key grip, one of our key grips on the house. So I was like three three you were.
Speaker 2: Camping with Emerson and I don't know you were you don't know.
Speaker 5: And then and then since then, my son and I have been talking about doing it together, but every time every summer that it comes up, I ended up booking a job.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I got to work. Sorry, I got to go to work. Sorry, I got to go to work again even this summer.
Speaker 5: But I think when I finished said job that I have coming up uh he and I will finally go and do it. So we may not get to do the main one, the Camino Francis, which takes about about thirty thirty one days to complete at thirty three if you go all the way to the ocean. But there's another one called to coming to put a Medieval, which is the shortest one, but it's also the hardest one because you go through the history amountains.
Speaker 1: So yeah, wow, well you mentioned your upcoming job. Can you tell us what you're working on and what's what's exciting you and your work?
Speaker 5: You're picking up on things O whether you're so smart.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've been doing a lot of theater lately.
Speaker 5: This coming twenty twenty six, I will be making my Broadway DEBUTU were congratulations.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: You can buy tickets. I would I would love for you guys to try and find a way.
Speaker 2: To mon I'm totally going to come to over weekend.
Speaker 1: I'm I'll have a little baby, but I will make my way there.
Speaker 2: You can't curdy out of myay.
Speaker 4: It is it is It is the new David Lindsay Bear play. It's called The Ballusters. He wrote to Good People, and he also wrote rabbit Hole, which was turned into a movie with Nicole.
Speaker 3: Actually, my dad's wife produced rabbit Hole.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm very familiar with his writing.
Speaker 4: He's a brilliant writer. That is so exciting, so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is really exciting. But not to but not we can't. We've got to remind people to go. Also see what I saw and loved doing. Is it ballad? Is how you pronounce it ballad?
Speaker 4: Which is it's on Amazon Prime?
Speaker 2: And then before that, I loved seeing you in Truth Be Told and Selena. You were so great in Selena. Like you've done a lot of work since Housewives. You're always well, thank you.
Speaker 4: It doesn't feel that way.
Speaker 1: It seems like it that's the actor's played. It never feels that way.
Speaker 5: I'm when I'm sitting around for like three weeks, you know, everybody in my family's like, there's nothing worse than unemployed actor just walking around, you know, any space that we reside in.
Speaker 4: But to speak to something, you know, Cherry, I still I thank you before and I'm going to thank you again. Right now, because you wrote me just one.
Speaker 5: Of the absolutely more beautiful, airing and complimentary emails when you watch all of that first season of Selena. It was just so kind of you to do that and to compliment me like but to say things like you know, like you know just how much growth you'd seen in me from where I was working on the Housewives to this and it was just a very very beautiful and kind email.
Speaker 4: So I just again I always want to say thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that you got the opportunity to dig into something so beautiful and deep and haunting. I mean, what an incredible story that was. But and you know, playing a real life character too, that's that's that's a lot to take on too. And you did it excellent. You were you were just excellent. It was it was beautiful. So but but going back to the show, the other thing, so and in the first season, and by the way, if more stories come up that you think our audience will want to know about funny things that might have happened to you on the set, we're all about that. But we were surprised by how violent and sort of abusive Carlos was and we were also was surprised that Gabby got away with having it with basically being a pedophile. I mean, we were just like, what is happening? I mean, if you had reversed it and Carlos had been sleeping with a fifteen year old oh h or a sixteen year old girl, I mean, that would have shut the show down. And somehow Gabby was able to be sleeping with a sixteen year old boy who, by the way, liked his cheerleaders, took baths with a rubber ducky Like we we pulled out all these lines of like, you know, where he was so clearly a child. Did you do you remember having thoughts about that in the moment or as you reflect.
Speaker 5: No, I mean because I mean it was kind of so sexualized, number one, you know, I mean obviously, but also you know, Jesse didn't even though he was a child, he didn't look the part of a child, you know what I mean, like, and I think that was part of what that.
Speaker 1: Was recast, right right, We've spoken about that, is that the original actor looked a lot younger, he looked a lot more like a teenager.
Speaker 5: That's it, that's it, And I think that's where they could not get away with exactly.
Speaker 2: So okay, so you just it sounds like you spent a lot of that first season being like, I'm a fairly new actor. I'm gonna I'm I hope I don't get fired. I'm going to do the best with whatever they give me. And that's all I'm doing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Okay, So our crew, you know, our camera crew, so Rory and Paul and all.
Speaker 4: Those guys, and Lowell Peterson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they secretly that first season would take me aside and like basically teach me or instruct me on how to go about working in front of camera and the jargon, the vernacular, everything, because it was just I'd done some work in front of camera, but not a consistent level of work, you know, where it's like you know, daily, weekly, whatever, and so I just didn't I didn't have it, you know. But the one thing that I did have was I had my my theater background.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: There was It's a story that got back to me. It was an episode that Larry Shaw was directing and it was in the Soli's house that was on Wisteria Lane, and it was in that front living room, which was a practical living room, so it wasn't on a set, so it was really hard to kind of manipulate the space. And Larry was having this really hard time with the with the scene for whatever reason, and he was like, I just don't know how to block is on a block.
Speaker 4: And I wasn't hearing this.
Speaker 5: I was just there right working the scene, to which Lowell leaned into him and said, let Ricardo block it. And Larry's like, what he goes, let Ricardo block. He will block it for you, just let him do it.
Speaker 4: And so and so.
Speaker 5: I give a lot of credit to Lowell for that, but I think it's just because of my theater background, I understand how to work.
Speaker 4: In space, you know.
Speaker 5: And so it was little things like that that I knew that I brought to the table that that would work for me. But I still had to kind of get get an education. I mean, The Housewives really was my education for on camera work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's such a difference obviously in theater you have so much more time in a space, you have tech, you have all the time to be on your feet and in your body, and then of course on a set it's really quick. And we've talked about this with Terry and and and her approach, and Jamie had had said that she always showed up completely off book and ready to go because she wanted to really maximize that limited time we had to rehearse, and and that was super impactful for me as well. Did you and Eva take Did you feel like you guys had an approach to having, you know, some extra time to rehearse or did you feel like you just were kind of shown up and just getting right into it.
Speaker 4: It depended from day to day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and who was trying to catch a flight after a sat so or who was trying to get home? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I hear you were you were you in Eva both not based in LA.
Speaker 4: Or that I was not based in LA.
Speaker 5: I mean I was based in LA but my we had a house in San Antonio and that's where my wife was, that's where our son was, that's where her family was, and my family was. But I also kept an apartment in Los Angeles. But I would fly back and forth and I pretty much did that. It's actually funny. The first season, this is another thing that probably a lot of people don't know about. Actually the first two seasons, I was CouchSurfing for the first two seasons, living on friends' couches, trying to save money. Yeah, because because here's this young actor who didn't have a ton of money, and then all of a sudden was like, Okay, oh my god, I'm getting this great paycheck. I didn't want to let go of said money. I'd like to put it into like college funds for my children and all this stuff. And I was like, Okay, how do I do that?
Speaker 4: Hey, will you let me stay on your couch? So that's that's what I did for my first time.
Speaker 2: I do think, like, I mean, I had a similar you know, I just think you can't take away like where where your roots are. And I wasn't raised with, you know, a ton of money, and so I've always been pretty frugal with the money that I've made because I somehow always feel like someone's going to take it away from me or you know. I mean, it is weird to sort of make up these paranoid stories, but you do hear that they happen to people. So I was I totally get that, and I also get it's like you'll hear authors say this, Like an author will write a fiction novel that ends up on the New York Times bestseller list, but then they'll tell you I don't have another book. And I think actors can feel the same way, you know, like, you know, A, am I going to get fired while I'm doing the job that I've been hired for? And then b will I ever get hired again?
Speaker 1: You know, it's not a stable None of these jobs are necessarily built around the idea of stability. They're creative and they're free flowing, and it does feel like so much is not in our control. It's such a mind game in that way.
Speaker 5: The one thing that I always expressed to people when I'm talking about, you know, this this industry, this business acting, I said, the only the one certainty that I know is the uncertainty that is this business. That's the absolute uncertainty that I have. And when I when I hear an actor or somebody in this industry that says, oh no, no, everything's gonna be fine, you know, I'm gonna be like, it's great that you have that faith.
Speaker 4: It's awesome, but careful, you know, because who is it? Don don Chield.
Speaker 5: I was listening to an interview Don Cheadle one time, and he was like, you know, it's not like Hollywood tells you the phone it's going to stop bringing me.
Speaker 2: It just does, right, it just stops. I'm I'm a little bit in that space, I'll admit, and it's you know, it's uh, but you can't. All you can do is like try to reinvent yourself. Oh, by the way, did I tell you that I'm also going to be doing a play.
Speaker 4: Did we talk about it when.
Speaker 2: I did? And so I do have the date? So yeah, Jason Alexander is directing a brand new play and it's going to be like mid March to the end of May. So I know that's sort of when your play starts to open. But I'm hoping that it'll at least be able to get there for a night.
Speaker 4: If there's a way that I can get to you is I'll absolutely do it for sure.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, I'm going to have a lot of theater in my spring. I'm going to be flying all over the United States to see people that I love in amazing plays. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: But I'm so excited to have the opportunity. And I will say what I was going to say is you can't. I mean, there's just no sense in being angry or resentful or whatever. Like, you just have to keep reinventing yourself and and just try to keep yourself open to the universe and keep working on whatever you're in control of and until that part comes to you. But but I'm so happy that you've been doing so much. It's so fun. Like when when when I don't know that you're in a series and then I watch something, you know, at night by myself in my house and I turned something on and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 7: There's Cardo.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yay, here's a here's a question for you. I'm just curious, and I think people would love to know we were We got to be on the show for so many seasons. So much life was lived on Westeria Lane. Did you keep anything? Do you have any mementos from set or from the show that you still have? I have I have a couple of things that still matter to me a lot. I have the thermis that the Desperate Housewives that Desperate house Guys gave us season one. You all gave us a Christmas gift of the Desperate Housewives thermos. And I have my warming jacket that says my name and things like that.
Speaker 5: Do you have anything let's see there is a thing of poker chips, housewives.
Speaker 4: What else?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's a blank get two that I think like some sort of knitted type blanket that I have, mm hmm what else?
Speaker 4: And then I actually.
Speaker 5: I have one of the entire suits and shirts and ties.
Speaker 2: From clothes. Do you remember either in regards to wardrobe or any or hair and makeup or or anything of like how it seemed like shoe string They just didn't have what they might have needed to get the show shot.
Speaker 4: He didn't seem to mind spending money on my.
Speaker 2: Well, why because because Carlos had a lot of expensive suits that all went.
Speaker 5: To Carlos's suits.
Speaker 4: I had these, I had these suits, like I mean just like really smith Zenya.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they they wanted to do me up, you know, really successful. Money you go, which is which is yeah, there you go, right, Which is also funny because it's like you never really knew what.
Speaker 4: My character did.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't he just like steal other people's money, like like shuffle shuffle money around and make money on other people's I don't know.
Speaker 4: The term is called the term is called borrow.
Speaker 2: Terry borrow Okay, okay, he borrowed other people's money, yep, and then made interest off of that, and then.
Speaker 4: Yes, Ponik.
Speaker 2: White collar crime.
Speaker 4: A Latino made off there. You go.
Speaker 1: So well, we obviously, you know, part of this podcast experience, we've gotten to share with people how close Terry and I have remained in Emerson and I have gotten to be over the years of the show. And what a beautiful perk that is that the show provided us this deep, beautiful relationship of all these many years. And you've mentioned you've been tight with Jamie over the years. Is there anyone else from the and of course are wonderful crew. Is there anyone else from the show that you've kept in touch with, you know.
Speaker 5: Every every now and then, And it was more so it's it's kind of fallen off a little bit. But David Grossman and I had kept in touch for a long time. Doug Savant, you know, we've we've kept in touch all the I mean all the guys, Mark Moses, Doug Savant, myself, James Denton, we have all kept in pretty good touch.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to say, I'm so touched by just how amazing it you all are. And this, this podcast in itself has been fun for me because you know, people think of all of us having gotten to work together because it was this big ensemble, but the truth is you really only got to work within your character storyline, and so like you and I never worked together that much, Like I would love to work with you, like you're so put out out I am, I'm putting it out there. I would love to work with.
Speaker 4: You, And She's absolutely right. We didn't.
Speaker 5: We had that one moment where I think we did that little small arc between our two characters for I think three or four episodes it was like season six or season seven or something like that. Yeah, and I just it was so refreshing, you know, and I was just completely like, Wow, she's like an absolute professional, like just knew knew what, like came in ready to go. But it was also so giving and so just like mutual, Like it was just it was wonderful. I was like this, this is really great, and I wish I could have had more of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, just a consummate professional.
Speaker 3: I'm so grateful that you're here with us and that you were able to give us so much insight into your experience on the show and your experience now and may I ask.
Speaker 5: Everson, how is it for you, like, because you're watching this for the first time.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: I'm watching it for the first time, and it's been amazing. I was saying, it's been amazing to get to watch my mom's body of work and to also get to really sperience a show that felt so cultural, culturally relevant when it aired and continues to, you know, in this stylized world that lays right on top of reality, feel so potent even today. And it's incredible. I mean, I know you don't watch yourself, but I have to say, as a child of an actor, it's incredible to have a testament, a physical testament to your parents' accomplishments and passion. And it's been really moving and beautiful to get to witness that. And I mean, I'm excited for season two.
Speaker 4: It's nice to hear your insight, you know, it really is.
Speaker 2: Thank you, she's a smart cookie.
Speaker 4: Do.
Speaker 2: I think that's another great thing. We all learn from each other every every episode, which is so nice to have friends and family in your life that you are continued to be inspired by and learn from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Emerson Unlock's perspectives on the show that just I don't know that I would have access to without her being here a part of it with us, and it's so cool.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's a big love fest over here and I'm so glad to have you here.
Speaker 2: So, Ricardo, our show is called Desperately Devoted. So we would love to ask you if there's anything in your life as we are getting ready to wrap this up that you are desperately devoted to that might be good to share with an audience and could be like your mental outlook, your exercise routine, what you eat, like, what makes you happy? Do you feel desperately devoted to anything?
Speaker 5: I'm desperately, absolutely desperately devoted to my two children for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then aside from them, I'm desperately devoted to my two furry children.
Speaker 4: That are my two kiddies.
Speaker 5: One is he's a big ginger boy and his name Ginger Tabby and his name is Sonny. And then the other one is just the most gorgeous little calico you've ever seen, and her name is cher. So I have Sonny and share around my house. Yeah, And aside from that, an occasional you know, sip of whiskey and a nice I p a and and all my theater works, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing. Okay, Can I just say for our audience the idea that really violent, abusive Carlos is desperately devoted to his two kiddies. I'm just I'm just putting those together, and I just think everyone is gonna love that. Everyone is gonna love that Carlos loves his kiddies.
Speaker 5: My hope for you guys is that you go through this, you know, hopefully through the gamut, you know, through all the seasons, if you're going to do this, because I think you're going to see an immense change on this character.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're excited to tell Ryan, well, we're desperately devoted to you. Thank you so much for being here. We're so great to see. We know our audience is just going to love hearing everything you had to say because we are desperately devoted to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, I likewise, and anytime you guys need be back for anything, I'm happy to doing.
Speaker 1: We will have more questions for you, So we would love to have you back.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks honey.
Speaker 6: By Yeah h
Speaker 1: M hm