Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes people are ship Sometimes that's also the case.
Speaker 2: Sometimes More Better, more Better, More.
Speaker 3: Better, More.
Speaker 4: Welcome to More Better, a podcast where we stop pretending to have it all together and embrace the journey of becoming a little more better every day.
Speaker 3: I mean we're trying to.
Speaker 1: That's Stephanie Beatrice. That's most of a marrow, and this is more Better.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm on my second cup of coffee and I haven't had any water. Don't be like me, kids, but wow, I'm telling you as somebody that hasn't had alcohol for a while.
Speaker 3: Whoo whoo wow. Rolling in the deep baby, Yeah, she's cranking. How are you? I'm good. I'm just like baseline basic level good. Okay, I like that. Baseline's pretty good base.
Speaker 1: I mean, depending on where your baseline is, that's pretty good. It's a good baseline. It's a pretty good baseline.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. Have you done anything lately that's a little more better? I have my more better. Yes. I bought new suitcases. That's I sprang for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I've been using the same suitcases for going on I think almost ten years, and they were good.
Speaker 3: They I feel like suitcases are an investment. Ten years is a good run.
Speaker 1: Ten years was a good run. It was a good run, you know. I was I was thinking to myself, I don't deserve this. I shouldn't get these. They're expensive, you know, Like I don't want to, you know, I don't want to, Like why am I doing this? My other ones work just fine, and like they do, they actually do work fine. So we're going to keep them for ras great as her suitcases because like she doesn't care, you know, But this way, I have stuff that, like when I'm traveling by myself that I can like lug around the airport and feel like put together and like the handle isn't kind of come off my suitcase whenever.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm traveling. So yeah, I did that for myself. I love that. Thanks. What about you? What have you done lately? That's more better? Nothing? Not a thing putting everyone ahead of me as for usual? Yeah, a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, I got nothing, I got nothing. Yeah, Well, you took care of yourself.
Speaker 2: The other night.
Speaker 1: I invited you to an in bed and you were like, Okay, I'm gonna go, And then you were like, I have a headache, I'm gonna stay home.
Speaker 3: You took care of yourself.
Speaker 4: I really like I, Oh, I went back and forth so much because you know, I took I took the advil, and you know when you take advil, you got a really bad headache and it like dulls the pain, but you still have like the pressure. Kind of that's what I had. And I was like trying to talk myself into like.
Speaker 3: Just just like put on an outfit and just.
Speaker 4: Like get there, and I bet when you get there, you'll feel better. You'll get like your little you know, boost from seeing your people and like your friend, and you'll have fun. I really wanted to see you because you're leaving soon. And then I just like I was like no, you know, I just I had to listen to myself that like little voice.
Speaker 3: In my head that was like, no, big this is gonna past episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this could really backfire on you and put you over the end and be bad. And then I said no, And then I ended up being right because yeah, I kind of it came back around and I went better early.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was just you wouldn't have done that. Maybe five years ago you had been like I have to go to this event. So that's that's true of yourself. That's true, thank you. So, yes, that was my more better this week. Yes, you're right, I listen to myself, but I did miss a night out with you.
Speaker 3: Good more Better.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about today, Steph? This was your idea, so if the mL you introduce it.
Speaker 3: I don't know why this is, that's my idea.
Speaker 4: But we are talking about some kind of spicy not no spicy hot way and a spicy spicy Uh, I don't know the word that I'm looking for way.
Speaker 3: Drama. We're bringing the drama this week, you guys. We're talking about dealing with enemies. Mm hmmm. I think we all have enemies and we've all had them.
Speaker 1: Uh, we've had them. We have them, we have to live in proximity with them. Sometimes we have to work with them, and we're.
Speaker 3: Going to list them.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Ready, get out your pen and paper, because we're going to listen to me. No, we're not doing that. We're just kidding. We're not doing that, or no, we're not maying.
Speaker 1: That, but it is I mean, like enemies for enemies. That's sort of more where I'm going to talk about. But like it is, Ah, not everybody's your people.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Like, not everybody is your You're not everybody's cup of tea. Yep.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some people are fucking gnarly motherfuckers, and how do we deal with them?
Speaker 3: You know? Like what is that?
Speaker 1: I guess like a good uh starting point is like what does it mean to be? What does it mean to like have an enemy or like think of someone as your enemy, like I guess is a good way to sort of start.
Speaker 4: I think for me, the first one is someone who has wronged me in a big way.
Speaker 3: They are ye in that they are on the list.
Speaker 4: They are an enemy shitless, they are on my shitless if I feel like I've been wronged or betrayed by them, not even betrayed, because I feel like betrayed sometimes, uh I would put betrayed yeah yeah yeah yeah, but like wronged you know in some way?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah. I mean also people like I just don't fucking like we all have them. Okay, So there's plenty of people that don't like me, you do, It's real, It's real, It's just real. I like mostly everyone.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I like mostly everyone too, But once in a blue fucking mother mugg by moon, there's somebody that I'm like, I don't. I don't I smell it on you at all. Yeah, I don't like what you exactly. And I think it can also be like I think sometimes this one, this one makes me I have complicated feelings about this. I think sometimes it can be someone you feel like competitive with in some way and you feel that energy from them too, and it's giving like an enemy vibe, But like, are they really your enemy or you just like both feeling like you're pitted against each other, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I think in that scenario, I have felt more like.
Speaker 4: I think this person thinks I'm their enemy because we're always like pitted against each other, and I get it energy that they strongly dislike me, and so then they become my enemy because I assume.
Speaker 1: That I am their enemy first, right, right? I mean, I think that happens sometimes for both of us. Study in theater, and I think that can happen a lot of times in like close confines like yes, you know, a theater department, or let's say, like a work environment where you're with all the same people and maybe you're striving for like you're both striving.
Speaker 3: For the same position.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I find that healthy because, like I mean, at least in my professional career, what I do think about is when I find myself feeling jealous of someone and being like they have all.
Speaker 3: The things that I want, It's like, Okay, that's good. That's motivation for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like if they have those things, I'm I want to get those things too.
Speaker 3: I agree that can be like a strong motivator.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, like to me, sometimes that is the best motivator because you know, Judgie McGee over here.
Speaker 3: Me sometimes I'm like, oh, they're not even that good. You know. There's this I love this movie called Shag.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anyone's ever seen it, but there's this great part where Bridget Fonda's character she's looking through a magazine and she's talking about all these like movie stars and she's like, I'm just as pretty as any of those girls in Hollywood, and like, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, let's be real, she's fucking Bridget Vondo. She's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: But like I remember thinking as a kid, like oh yeah, like it's just regular people, Like it's all it's all people.
Speaker 3: That are doing this thing that I want to.
Speaker 1: Do, So like maybe there's room for me too, you know, yeah, And I think about that a lot, because, like I'll be honest, some of these people that are doing this thing that we're doing, they and all that good girl.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, and sometimes I'm like I think, I'm I'm, I'm, I'm I'm pretty good too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just as good. So I'm going to try to do the thing. You know, I'm this is pretty any of those girls in Halloween yas.
Speaker 4: But I have also, you know, I spent more so when I lived in New York. There were a couple actresses that we would just kind of always be up for the same things that I would literally walk into an audition room and I would see if I saw one of them, and it was like they would almost like roll like the look on their face that I had gotten there, and I was like, am I an enemy?
Speaker 3: It was like you know, and like oh my god.
Speaker 4: And then it created such a weird vibe and then you're like being fake nice and you know that they're like pissed that you're there and that you're also auditioning for this role, and it's fucking awkward.
Speaker 3: It's so awkward. I don't talk to anybody. I don't talk to you.
Speaker 1: Well, that's also why I loved like when all the Latinas started getting together, because those are people that, yeah, we used to go to.
Speaker 4: Now we don't go to auditions anymore. Everything's on tape, but not really not the same way we used to go to auditions. I remember the first time seeing Francia an audition after like one of those first get togethers, and it was so nice to be like, oh my god, hot, like just to be friendly and not feel competitive and anyway, so sometimes not me biting my nails as we're talking about this, the anxiety sometimes, yeah, you think someone is your enemy and like they're not actually, like it's just whatever the situation that's making you feel pitted against each other and you know, and you just have to break the ice and like and find out if they're coo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes people are shit. Sometimes sometimes that's also the case sometimes. I I remember this was like right after we'd gotten Brooklyn nine nine, like we shot the pilot and the show had been picked up for like a couple episodes, what was it like thirteen or something.
Speaker 3: In the very very beginning, I think, yeah, we were yeah, because we got a bank nine yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, like we just had started shooting this season, like we just had started shooting it, and like people in the industry knew, like, oh, there's going to be this new show, right they had Highlight's been picked up.
Speaker 3: And I went to a party.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this woman very well, but she was friends with my ex at the time, and I went to her birthday event and it was like, you know, just like a dinner Margarita's whatever. And I sat on the table and I'm kind of nervous, and you know, I don't really know anyone in La yet because I had just moved here and I'd only been here for a year or whatever. And I started talking to a couple of the women at the table and we're just talking and someone asks me or says to me, oh, you're on that new Mike Sure and Dan Core show. And I said, yeah, yeah, it's Club Brooklyn nine nine. And this girl, this girl that you know, she's had a career in comedy, like, she was sitting at the table also and she was like, oh, you got that, and I was like, yeah, yeah, I did. I'm really excited about it. You know, it's like the second thing I've ever done here, and she was like, oh, yeah, you know, I auditioned for that, but I heard they were going ethnic.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 4: I heard they were going ethnic, which listeners, by the way, is something I have also heard many a time in my life.
Speaker 3: A disgusting thing is.
Speaker 1: So it's like, it's it's what people say when they can't admit to themselves that they're not talented enough to book things. So sorry for you, sorry about it. But I think the main thing is like, why would you ever say something like.
Speaker 3: That to a person? You know, Like, why would you say Why would you say that? Because you're jealous and shitty?
Speaker 4: I guess fine and be like, oh, I auditioned for that too, it's such a great role. Congrats like that.
Speaker 3: You know, how are you liking the cast? Whatever?
Speaker 1: No, that's something you say to somebody when you want to cut them down and make them feel like they didn't deserve to get the job that you wanted that you think you should have gotten. It's like she was like, oh, I should have gotten that job, but they had to cast somebody like you because they had a filo quota, which is like ew no. And I'll never forget her. And I've seen her at events since and I've never talked to her again, and she is absolutely on my shit list.
Speaker 3: Dig don't fuck with her. I don't, I don't, I did, don't better better, you know, I think when people, sorry, my dog's barking, can you hear him? I can't hear him? Crazy. His enemy is everyone outside of everyone outside of the house. Is has a very long enemy list.
Speaker 1: It's everyone that's not us. Honestly, it's us sometimes too. If we come through a door too quick.
Speaker 3: He's like, what are you?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Like he doesn't, he doesn't care. He's indiscriminate. Who was your enemy?
Speaker 1: Like did you have a someone that was like you're in like I had an enemy or like middle school, Yes, I had an enemy growing up.
Speaker 4: I won't say her name, even though it's like a super common name. If I said it, I'm pretty sure there's like one hundred thousand people with the same name.
Speaker 3: You know, it's Jill Biden. It's Jill Biden. Just tell us Jill Biden. She was a little bit of a the pope fucking Dali Lama. She was a little bit of a bully, a little bit of a mean girl.
Speaker 4: And you know, I feel like the movies we grew up with, like the early nineties movies like bullies were a big thing, and all those every kid movie had a bully. I mean, I think that's still kind of true, but I feel like just every single movie had some kind of bully in it, So I feel like it was very like in our face. So anyway, she was a little bit of a mean girl. And I think it was third or fourth grade. Uh, this was the first of.
Speaker 3: Many instances, but it's the one that I remember the most clearly. Oh my gosh, she a recurring character. She repulled.
Speaker 4: She pulls me aside in like Jim class Pe and says, oh, I do this really funny joke with Elena.
Speaker 3: Elena was my childhood best friend still my best friend. Were like sisters. I do this really funny joke with Elena where I, uh tell her I'm not her friend, and then like she gets scared for a second, and then I tell her joking and then she like laughed, like she convinced me that it was like a funny thing she did with Elena.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: She was like, we should do it to get saboteur. We should do it together today because.
Speaker 4: It'll be so funny, and I was like, okay, you know, and I was like, a jokes are kind of kids, So I totally bought into it. I was like, all right, cool, you got you got a cool prank that you pull that works, like I'm in And then we did it, and Elena immediately started bawling, crying, and I.
Speaker 3: Felt, oh my god, immediate shame of like, oh my god, I just was tricked.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I just did something so mean. I just hurt my friends. Feeling so badly and you know, rash, I was like, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry. She told me there was a thing that you guys do and it was a joke and we didn't mean it, and you know, and I remember it so clearly because I was so upset.
Speaker 3: And then I was so, oh my god, mad that this person did that to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then a few years later, we were at a sleepover a bunch of girls, like a big birthday sleepover, and she was in the other room and I said to the birthday girl, like, why did you invite her? Like, you know, and she heard me, and that was when I had my first fight.
Speaker 3: Oh snap, was it a fistfight.
Speaker 1: It was a.
Speaker 3: It was a it was an everything fight.
Speaker 4: It was a yeah, it was a pushing, pulling, punches, thrown on the bed, kicks, and I don't remember how.
Speaker 3: We got out of it, but in my mind I won that fight.
Speaker 1: But my god, yeah, I wish you all could see my face because my eyes are huge and my mouth was like a gape.
Speaker 4: And then I think that she ended up being like an okay person, like a decent adult.
Speaker 3: But I just didn't fuck with her, like like all through high school.
Speaker 1: And like I just sometimes, you know, it was a small town and like my school wasn't big, so it was hard to avoid, like really really avoid people. So there were plenty of times where we were at the same party or the same group of friends or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I just I just didn't. I didn't fuck with her. I was just like, don't walk with her.
Speaker 1: No with you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, dude, this fight. I wonder if the mom came downstairs was like girls, girls, break it up. I don't remember. I don't remember. Yeah, I don't. Yeah, I don't remember. She deserved it, you guys, she deserved it.
Speaker 4: What if her version of the story was like and then I beat her ass and started crying, and that's I thought.
Speaker 1: A version of the story, whatever version of the story, is like yeah, and then I heard my bully from the other room is my best friend?
Speaker 3: Why did you invite her? And then I started crying and then she beat the shit out of me, and I had to go, oh, oh my god. We never know. You never know. You never know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you're somebody's bully. Sometimes you're somebody's enemy. Sometimes maybe maybe I was. I don't know, but no, yeah, no you weren't. Your heart is telling you what it really was, which is that.
Speaker 3: Girl was mean, Oh yeah, how about you?
Speaker 1: Because I do wonder like, well, you know, I mean, I have it, Harry. I've always been the kind of person that has a big.
Speaker 3: Heart.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I'm not saying like I'm a I'm necessarily a great person, but I mean I have my flaws.
Speaker 3: We all do. But you're a great person. You're very empathetic. Thanks. So we were in I think we were in seventh grade. I'm pretty sure it was seventh grade.
Speaker 1: And you know, seventh grade is a very awkward time because some people have blossomed, some people have not blossomed. I mean, like, yeah, some of y'all got your boobies. You know, some of y'all got your good looks. Yeah, some of us were waiting on our braces.
Speaker 3: Guess who I was.
Speaker 1: Some of us are still looking like children, yes, you know. So, Uh, seventh grade is a tough time. And I remember being in seventh grade and there was a girl that was at my school. And she will remain nameless, but let's for purposes of this, let's call her Plummara. Plumaria, okay, and Plumbaria had blossomed early. She was very pretty and she used that her advantage, you know, and she was popular. So like if she paid attention to you and you were not one of the pretty people, like you felt like like the sun.
Speaker 3: Was shining on you, you know.
Speaker 1: And I remember we were in in like some kind of class that was like an advanced class to my own horn here, but like I did take some advanced classes in school, and like we were in an advanced class. And what a lot of times our teachers would do would be like you can discuss the subject as a group and like kind of try to see what your peers think about whatever you're learning or reading, and like see if you can get any more information from talking to your peers, So like what would inevitably happen was that would turn into like goss obsessions or whatever we'd like socialize.
Speaker 3: Looking back on it now, probably the teacher was just like, you know what, talk amongst yourself. I'm tired.
Speaker 1: But so we're doing that, and like those of us that are kind of like a little more nerdy and smart, we're trying to like stick on on, We're trying to stay on topic.
Speaker 3: And Plemeria comes over and starts talking to the girl in front of me.
Speaker 1: And the girl in front of me was this really really sweet girl. She had a really interesting name because her family was South Asian and she wasn't a particularly popular girl, but she was really sweet and I would talk to her a lot in class. And Plamaria came over and straight up she was standing at her at this girl's desk and like looking back toward my desk because I was sitting behind her, and she.
Speaker 3: Straight up just like asked her for the answers. I heard her.
Speaker 1: She's like, can you just like give me the answers to this? And the girl was like, yeah, yeah, sure, and she took the paper from Plamaria's hand put it on her desk and like bent her head, you know, to start writing the answers for her, and Blamaria saw that I was staring at them because I was like, I know this is wrong.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna tell, but I know this is wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I looked at her and she looked at me and then she made this face like she looked at the girl, and then she looked at me and she made this face like ew right, and then she went back and like after.
Speaker 3: The girl had finish writing her the answer, she was like, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're the best, you know, Like it was just so disgusting. It was so disgusting that I felt like really sad about it.
Speaker 3: Like she was like a Regina George. See her make that face. She was like like, oh my god, You're school's so cute. Actually, where is it from. That's the ugliest epping skirt that I've ever seen. Yeah. It was mean.
Speaker 1: It was straight up mean. And she kept being mean like that all of middle school. She was mean all of high school, but like she was never nobody ever caught her being mean. She was just mean, sneaky mean and sneaky mean. Yeah, And anyway, I saw her at our twenty year reunion, and she was not excited that I was on a very good TV show.
Speaker 3: She was not pumped about it.
Speaker 1: She ignored me the entire time, and then at the very end, after she had had multiple drinks, she was like, aren't you on TV now? And I was like, I am, And then I you on TV now TV now. It's like, I don't need to explain myself to you, babe.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my first enemy. Also, she I think to the eighth grade dance. She was asked to the eighth grade dance by the boy that I had a Oh, that really cemented it for me. It's hard to be awkward in junior high. You know, it's tough.
Speaker 3: It's a tough it's a tough one. It's tough, it's scarring.
Speaker 4: You'd like to say it builds character, but a character probably would have been without it.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe he wasn't. That's true. How do you like deal with people that you find I'm cereal in real life?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Like, how do you deal with it? Now?
Speaker 1: There are a couple of people that I have to deal with on somewhat regular basis that I do not enjoy. And then you know, occasionally at work it happens.
Speaker 4: I feel like at work there is uh a uber professional mode you can go into.
Speaker 3: And like I kill them with kindness kind of thing, you know, totally. Yeah, I don't have that.
Speaker 4: I save that energy for work because to me, that's a more important setting that I don't want to you know, disparage anyone or create anything like in a workplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like I can get through it pretty easily, especially with like what with what we do.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like in the downtime in between, you can always like not sit at your chair, like go somewhere else, Like there's plenty of places on set to hang out and or you can just like be in a book or be on your phone so that you don't have to like engage in conversation. For non Hollywood people, when things are when they're setting up lights and stuff, and we have a bit of downtime a lot of times if you get along with the people that you're working with, there's like hang out time, you know, at your past chair time to check time. But yeah, and then in real life I have less energy for real life people I don't like, So I still, you know, I stick with my killing with kindness. That's what I try to teach my kids too, when they have to deal with people they don't like, I say, you can't be mean, like you just you have to be nice and you just you know, give yourself space. And so I feel like I give myself the same advice of like space, I do not that's good.
Speaker 3: Get trapped in any conversation. I try not to get trapped in any conversations.
Speaker 4: If there's a group hang, I just try to find my people in the group, paying and stick with those people.
Speaker 3: Keep keep it moving, keep it cute. But yeah, how do you deal with with thine enemies?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, in in situations like what you're talking about, like in a work environment, or like in a social environment where I'm confronted with someone that I know I'm not particularly a fan of, I often I'll keep it moving.
Speaker 3: I will often try to use like humor to kind of diffuse the situation.
Speaker 1: So, like, you know, if somebody says something that's straight up rude to me, a lot of times I'll just like bust out laughing, yeah, and say, like you know, one of my favorite things to do is bust out laughing and be like, I can't.
Speaker 3: Believe you said that out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so good, you know, because that's it's really disarming to people to be like, oh my god, I've just been kind of caught, and then they go like they either try to cover or they just stand there, and either way, you've let them know that, like I got your number, buddy, Like I see what you're doing, and I'm not gonna let it bother me because this is not about me, it's about you.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I'm able to do that sometimes, but I wish I could do it more. It's like I often do that thing where you know, I freeze, and then later that night I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh I could have said this. I should have said I think.
Speaker 4: Good comebacks, all the good burns, and I'm like, damn it, where was my comedy brain at that moment.
Speaker 3: But I love the idea of just That's why I don't try to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, because like then you know that, like you've got to I've got a canned response for it.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 1: So if you're ever at a party three and I just bust up laughing and say, I can't believe you just said that I.
Speaker 3: Got your number. But like, that'sn' easy for me. It's like a canned response to your absolute bullshit.
Speaker 1: And then I try to walk away after that because I know, like this is a waste of my time being here with this person or whatever. You know, Like like if I could go back in time to that dinner where that girl said that, I would laugh in her face and be like, I can't believe you just said that out loud. That's wild that you felt like you could say that to me and that's all and then say that because I think most of the time when people say that a lot of her own bullshit, they don't expect you to confront it. They're like they know it's going to put you down, they know it's gonna like give them some sense of like power power, and they don't ever expect to be called out about it. No, no, because like most of the time people are just so shocked that somebody said something that fucked up anyway. Yeah, have you do you remember the in the I think it's in the Bridget Jones movies where she goes, oh, I was just jellyfish.
Speaker 3: She jellyfished me.
Speaker 1: Jellyfishing is essentially when you know you don't know that you're being sung by a jellyfish until it's already happened.
Speaker 3: Where you're like, fuck, my leg hurts.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like you feel something kind of like slide past you and then like oh shit, right, god, yeah that that is those slidy snide comments that are like those you know, aggressions your hair like that, you know, it's so yucky, it's so yucky, and like, yeah, those are the ones that I hate because you try to be on the line that like they say it like they're confused, like, but I didn't know you were that funny.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that you were you were that funny. Oh my gosh, you really like you really shine up when like you get a dress and makeup on. You're a monster. I wish I could straight up to say that, oh you're a monster. Oh I didn't know. I should try that sometimes.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good thing. That's got to be for someone that you're not afraid of though, Yeah, that's it. That's the other thing is like sometimes enemies have power, so you gotta be real careful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're intimidating, Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: In the movies, you can just say whatever you want, right, but like in real life, sometimes the enemy has like a powerful position at your job or like can control some kind of like aspect of something that's gonna have an effect on your life and you can't maybe like say all the things that you wish you could say, so you just have to kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, keep it moving, I guess.
Speaker 1: Like also sometimes I think about the other thing I think about a lot is like they that's about them, that's not about you, right, Like that's helped me more than once like not burst into tears because sometimes it really is like that is something about them that has nothing to do with you.
Speaker 3: You just have to like that.
Speaker 1: You got to just let that one go, Like let it go. That's not about you, that's about them, that's not about you, that's about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 1: Hard to do that, but it's so much of the time when somebody is being mean, it's because of they're projecting something that they're dealing with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's real. That is so real and such a good reminder totally. There was a little stupid independent movie I did that ended up being terrible and the director was basically a con man and he was awful, and I.
Speaker 3: Worked with a slightly older actress.
Speaker 4: I'm not even going to make it that hard for people to figure out if they want to figure it out, who has worked a ton. And I was really excited to work with her, and I ended up learning so much from her about how to deal with someone like that because she held so many boundaries and she would get in his face, but never in a disrespectful manner. She would just be like, what is your plan? Just admit that you don't know what you're doing, and let us black the scene and let us can you just what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: What are you even saying? That doesn't make any sense? Like she just called him out and attempted to keep him honest, which was impossible because I think this person was like a sociopath. I don't know, but I just kind of read.
Speaker 4: I feel like I got so much power from that experience because I was like watching in real time, like, oh, it's okay to speak up. It's okay to speak up and defend yourself and have boundaries and be like this this is what should be worth my time, and this is like a certain level I expect and should all expect while we're here in this professional setting but she also didn't take any of this fucking shit either.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And it was awesome and it was so badass.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say who it was, because it was Bonnie Badelia and she's amazing and incredible and I love her dearly, and she was just so bad ass in that experience, and it was awful.
Speaker 3: It was awful, awful, awful.
Speaker 1: I was so angry with this man and I hated him so much, but I did get that out of it, and I feel like since then, I've been less shaken by terrible people, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and able to be like I have like a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have like a way of being to kind of like fall back on, I guess And I love your ideas saw me do it because I saw her do it. And I love your idea of having like a canned response that I'm totally going to think of something for myself because I love that. Yeah, because I will freeze in moments where someone says some shit to me that's like wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I also just think watching someone be so in their power like that is just I don't know it, it's something about it minimized, Like I just felt less intimidated by shitty people after that. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: It was just like oh, some totally it just see and I yes, and I don't have to let it like affect me so deeply.
Speaker 1: I can just be like, oh, like you were saying, you're not my people, and I think you're kind of shitty, and so yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's hard dealing with people that you don't like. It's really hard.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: But I think that there's a way to do it gracefully. Yeah, I hope me like just step away and don't engage. I mean, there's a difference between enemies and bullying, you know, like if we're not talking about bullies, Like bullies is a different subject, right, but like enemies people that like you know, that don't have your best interest at her, and like just try to give space to it because I mean, I think, oh, I'm so excited to think of my canned response. It's gonna be very close to yours. Maybe something like.
Speaker 3: Wow, you are so confident to say something like that, I really admire your confidence. Ah, I admire your confidence.
Speaker 1: Or like another one I think I read this in a magazine once was like make them repeat it, be like, could you say that again?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, yeah, say insult me, insult me, really do an insult? Oh? Wow, I haven't been insulted in so long. Can you do it again? That was that was crazy? That was so wild. Yes, that's good.
Speaker 1: You repeat it, or like uh, or even just like making her say it again, right, like what did you say? I said, I went in for that job, but I heard they went ethnic.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I couldn't gill you one more time. And then when they say it again, be like, yeah, I thought that's what you said.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's interesting, more better. How do you feel about this today? How do you feel about talking about this? Made me mad? It did make me mad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt myself getting a little like hmm, riled up talking about yeah, all these unfortunate people we've had to deal with and encounter.
Speaker 1: I don't you know, I don't like when people are mean. I like when people are mean books. I don't like when people are rude. I don't like when people are mean, says the woman who played Rosa Diaz. Free excuse me. I don't think Rosa was mean. I think Rosa she does mean.
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes she was mean.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say she was really confident and a little aggressive, which is different, Yeah, different energy. She never told a lie, she never lied in her meanness. Yeah, but I do feel empowered with this canned response thing and.
Speaker 3: Some of these good some of these. Yeah that's your takeaway. Yeah, that's my takeaway. How about you?
Speaker 5: I think my takeaway is like, there's always gonna be ship Like, there's always gonna be ship people, you know, like.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we're gonna encounter that again and again in our lives.
Speaker 1: Like there's gonna be people like in the nursing home that are ships. Like there's just no in the nursing home. That one bitch in the nursing home that's up in up in your ship, like fucking with your man, you know, like fucking with your lunch, like stealing your apple sauce.
Speaker 3: But like, what can you do that?
Speaker 1: There's not a lot, There's there's not a lot you can do other than like make it boring for them to be so involved in your life, just like be bored by them and move on.
Speaker 3: I guess you you bor me. Do you feel more better? I think I do feel more better. How do you feel?
Speaker 1: Do you feel more better I feel I don't. I don't feel more better about it. I feel like I know what it is, Yeah, but I don't. Yeah, I don't like thinking about these people.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing.
Speaker 1: I don't really think about these people very much because and we just thought about them. My life is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Same, Yeah, as a Southerners say, which I love. Bless them, Bless their heart, Bless their heart, Bless their hearts. Anyway, we'll see you next week when we talk more shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see you next week.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, more Bet Doude, you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want us to talk about in a future episode.
Speaker 4: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 1: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at More Better pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh, More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from w V Sound and iHeartMedia's Mikultura podcast network, hosted by Me, Stephanie Viatriz, and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by Isis Madrid, Leo Clem and Sophie Spencer.
Speaker 3: Zebos.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Wilmer Valderrama and Leo Clem at w V Sound. This episode was edited by Isis Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Davenport and Hey Loo Boy. Our cover art is by vincent Remy's and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Sugas Bye,