Speaker 1: Hi, this is Kyles forber and welcome to the Philly Show.
Speaker 2: A rubin tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury, Todd's a lucky It's the Philly Show. It's Monday, January fifth, twenty twenty six. Have you guys recover? I know you guys hit it hard on New Year's Eve, hard hard, so hard.
Speaker 3: I hit the mattress hard at nine p fifteen, two o'clock fireworks.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Good for you, six.
Speaker 4: Pm, just like the kids do.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I hope everybody's doing well. It is Monday, Like I said January fifth, everybody's you know, winter break is over, the holiday break is over. We're getting back into Phillies baseball. We did do a few shows before the break or during the break. We had back to back episodes with Jimmy Rollins uh and then the other day on New Year's Day, we answer a lot of your questions about the twenty twenty six season. Well, today we're going to look ahead and do some predictions, some thoughts, and let's get going right away. Let's go with the top. What is your top storyline?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 2: On January fifth, twenty twenty six, on the Philadelphia Phillies. I don't know if anybody wants to jump, I could start. What do you want to do? I'll start.
Speaker 5: Jo does not resign with the Phillies, and the Phillies go with Marshawn, Krantini and Stubbs.
Speaker 4: Wow. Wow, what's your top storyline? That is?
Speaker 2: That is a big storyline. That is a big story There's only.
Speaker 3: One storyline, guys, there's only one storyline. What's this with this roster and the pedigrees on this roster, the age of the roster, the mammoth payroll, the expectation, the disappointment in the last three October. There's only one storyline. Can they win the World Series? Do they win the World Series? How will October shakeout? That's the only storyline?
Speaker 1: Like it? I like it, Jim, you know what you know?
Speaker 4: It's funny. I went back.
Speaker 2: I went back and I watched last year's twenty twenty five predictions, and Jim, you went macro you said the same thing last year. You said, there's only one storyline. Will the Phillies win the World Series? That's all this is about.
Speaker 1: Rubin is not consistent.
Speaker 3: But I also I also love I love storylines and story there are a million storylines under that, but that's the one that matters my friends.
Speaker 2: Right right. So my storyline is is actually should be resolved probably the next six seven weeks or so before as camp opens, and that is is this it? Are they done?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Where does it go? For me? That kind of dovetails off of what Rubin said, which is, is j T riam Muto back or not? We said a couple of weeks ago they were at a stalemate, Jim, you said it was a game of as JT is. JT is looking for something. I don't want to say at what he was getting aa V the last five years, but I think he doesn't want to take too massive of a pay cut obviously, which is take the haircut, yeah cut, but the old buzz cut, which is why he still remains unsigned. So if JT re signs, what does that mean for the rest of the roster in the offseason? If JT does not re sign, what does that mean for the roster and the rest of the off season. Now, Our buddy John Hayman on Saturday sent out a tweet saying the Phillies are one of the big market teams interested in Boba Schett. What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 3: Though, haven't we been Haven't we been talking about boba Chev for two and a half months.
Speaker 1: It's not new news.
Speaker 5: People are throwing it out there on x and Twitter and all these other things. Yeah, we've been chatting about this for about fourteen months.
Speaker 4: I would love it. I would love it. What a fit.
Speaker 3: But you'd have to subtract something in the infield, and you'd have to clear money in the infield, and you have to clear money. It means JT probably wouldn't come back because you'd have to clear some salary.
Speaker 4: But I would love it if it would happen. And I think they're.
Speaker 3: Serious interested bystanders in that drama that market, and have been for a while. But there has to be other companion moves to free spot and salary.
Speaker 5: And there's some people opining about the fact that they might consider Bobbashett to play second and move Stot the third.
Speaker 1: I've seen some of that out there on social work.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that that's the move.
Speaker 5: I think that that, I mean, it could be, but I feel much more comfortable with Stott at second base because he's such a good defender, and Bobashett is a very good offensive player, He's not a great defensive short stop.
Speaker 1: He's not gonna play short. Turner's playing short.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel a little bit more comfortable with him on third base than second base.
Speaker 4: But who knows what might happen.
Speaker 5: Bobby Dickerson is one of the best in field of coaches in the game. If they do make that move, I think that they'd be comfortable with moving guys around. But my personal feeling is that I think Bobashett would stay on the left side of the field, but that might be.
Speaker 3: I don't know that he's ever played third I don't know if he has His arm is not, you know, a standout arm, and I saw Stop play third base early in twenty twenty two. Yeah, I mean, Dickerson loves stopt in the infield.
Speaker 6: Remember we had him on in the summertime. He called him like a Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh, because he's he's really instinctive.
Speaker 1: He can probably play any of those positions.
Speaker 3: And I think he could go over there and you'd get a lot out of Bushett at But I mean to do a Brishette, there are other moves. You know, you're gonna have to clear a spot in the endfield moving balm, and that third base market hasn't shaken out yet.
Speaker 6: And you're probably you're probably saying goodbye to JT.
Speaker 4: Because they're you know.
Speaker 3: This week they have a fifty six fifty seven million dollar tax bill due, I mean, and they're gonna be.
Speaker 4: Over the fourth spot again. They're pinched so.
Speaker 2: And and you know, obviously things can change. Maybe John Milton had to change her heart over the holidays. He said, you know what, Dave, go get JT and get me Bobaschett and we'll figure it out. Maybe maybe that's happened. But again, going back to last month when the Phillies re signed Kyle Schwarber, my understanding was they were out out on Bellinger, Bashett Redman, especially if they got JT. So to Jim's point, the only path that I see again, unless John Middleton has changed his mind and he said, go for it, Dave, the hell with it. I'll pay a ninety million dollar penalty tax next year, is you let JT go, You go cheap on the catching spot and then you trade Bam who's gonna make around ten million plus in salary. A lot of moving parts.
Speaker 5: There though a lot of movie why not just get Ranger Swarms as well?
Speaker 1: For that one year pillow contract.
Speaker 4: Let's go out. I mean, if we're gonna go, let's go.
Speaker 1: It's not my money, my.
Speaker 2: Glue, exact, you're gonna go go, exactly right. So I would I understand the excitement that that popped up in Philly on Saturday when I was like, oh my god, the Phillies are interested in Boba Shet. But guess what, they're all so interested in Alex Pragman. They would love Alex Pragman. Oh, Rubin, You're right, they would love to have Ranger Suarez back. They're still interested.
Speaker 5: There is things we all want, a lot of things.
Speaker 4: I want eight billion dollars exactly right.
Speaker 2: But I would lower expect I would. I would personally lower expectations. That would be I would be very surprised if we saw Bobachett in the Phillies lineup on opening day.
Speaker 5: I'd be surprised and shocked, and I would probably pretty be pretty pleased.
Speaker 4: But I don't think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be a lot of fun to have Bobachett in the lineup. We all love him for a lot of different reasons. Just an absolutely super talented player. All right, So those are our top storylines going into twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Fill in the blank.
Speaker 6: Filling the blank, guys, I'm sorry, j t Real Mudo is dot dom Well.
Speaker 2: Ruben already said he is not is Uh you said your your bold prediction. Yeah, yeah, you did say. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he's coming I think he just go giant. I think he's coming back a three year deal. I'm gonna I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: That, Jimmy, Jim.
Speaker 3: You said that last week, So you, Jim, I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm saying he's not gonna get resigned.
Speaker 2: Okay, Toddy, I think he's coming back. I think Jat's gonna come back. I think the Phillies won and back. I don't think he wants to go anywhere else, and I don't think he's gonna get the money that he wants from anybody else unless somebody just goes again. Screw it. We need a catcher. We haven't done much this offseason. Let's just overpay it for him, and you know we'll have a stud in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: And you know, a.
Speaker 2: Guy that the pitching staff loves so hear me wrong.
Speaker 1: I want him back, right right right?
Speaker 2: No, we know, we know I want.
Speaker 1: The man back.
Speaker 5: I just don't know that he's going to sign back. I'm gonna gold bold and say no.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, so here we go.
Speaker 4: Let's real quick.
Speaker 2: If you're watching us on YouTube, don't forget to hit the subscribe button. We appreciate your sport for the show, and you can always pick up any gear for the show at the Phillies show Shop dot com. All right, what are you guys most curious to see in twenty twenty six? I want to go back it is. It was kind of fun to go back and watch. I watched last year's episode. Rubin, you said you were most curious to see if Alec Bom can bounce back from the NLDS benching all the trade talks. Jim, you said you were most curious to see Aiden Miller's development in twenty twenty five. And I was most curious to see if Max Kepler could bounce back from a bunch of injury plague seasons and and you know, down production from Minnesota Twins. So that's what we said last year.
Speaker 1: And basically nothing, none of those happened.
Speaker 4: None he bom did Okay? Aiden Miller finished well?
Speaker 1: And what was yours?
Speaker 2: Todd again that Max Kepler didn't really do a whole lot that that I was curious though, I was curious to see you.
Speaker 4: We're curious, we were curious to see it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, guys, who's who wants to jump in here with most curious? What are you most curious to see?
Speaker 1: James?
Speaker 3: Well, I actually have several of them, and one of them is how close is Aidan Miller at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: I'm consistent on that. I love it. Hey, we're all them? Okay, Okay, then you know what?
Speaker 3: Then I'm most curious to see how Bryce Harper bounces back and what he's wearing under his UNI Is he wearing an elite shirt and not elite shirt?
Speaker 4: Nice? What about you? Todd?
Speaker 2: I actually I did write this down. I wrote down what's Bryce Harper's mindset, what's his attitude, what's his what does he look like coming into spring training? And of course how he performs this season. There's a lot of eyeballs on him. He put even more eyeballs on him by acknowledging the elite comment not elite comment from Dave Debrowski and tell you what, if Bryce Harper's motivated and he's healthy, Oh, it could be a fun, fun year for that Phillies lineup.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got great points about about Bryce, no question about it.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about that as well.
Speaker 5: I have to say that I'm super curious about pitching, and I'm curious about Andrew Andrew Painter.
Speaker 1: What kind of.
Speaker 5: Production does he have when he pitches in the big leagues at some point this year?
Speaker 1: What kind of major league pitcher.
Speaker 5: Is he going to be in twenty twenty six, and how productive can he be?
Speaker 6: Great?
Speaker 4: Good, one's great one, A lot of honorable men.
Speaker 3: To Orion, I want to see what they get out of a dollars Carcie. I want to see kind of like how he can figures that lineup, because if he puts Schwarber behind Harper because they need some protection beyond Harper, who's going to protect Schwarber a little bit?
Speaker 4: So there's so much that I'm very, very eager to see.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 6: Then the big one I'm going to see is can they win in October?
Speaker 1: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 2: It all comes back to that Fellas. Absolutely, you gotta win the world. You gotta win the big one, gotta win the big Okay, biggest fear last year, last January. My biggest fear, it's kind of an easy one. Zach Wheeler gets hurt, Aaron Nola gets hurt, stumbles, and actually both of those things ended up coming true, and Noah had the worst year of his career. Zach Wheeler got hurt. Jim said, big picture, even bigger picture, health. Biggest fear is health. His biggest fear was health. And then Ruben, you had a kind of touch done it in your last answer used to your biggest fear was do the Phillies panic at some point and speed up Andrew Painter's timeline and rush them to the big leagues earlier? And it is ready. It turns out they were like, they didn't rush him at all.
Speaker 1: They didn't they didn't rush him at all.
Speaker 2: They didn't they did not rush him at all. So he was not ready. He didn't really let.
Speaker 1: Him earn and he did not earn his promotion.
Speaker 2: Correct. Correct, So biggest fear for you guys, does anybody want to get rolling on that one?
Speaker 4: I'll start it and I'll start with the pitching again.
Speaker 5: My biggest fear is Zach Wheeler not being able to bounce back. And even if he's I'd be happy if he's eighty five.
Speaker 1: Percent of what Zach Wheeler is. I'll take that.
Speaker 5: But my biggest fear is he's only fifty percent of what Zach Wheeler is and or less, and I do fear that greatly.
Speaker 1: I don't know that that's necessarily the case. I'm hopeful that he bounces back.
Speaker 5: I love everything about the pictures, one of the best, I think, one of the best pictures starting pitchers they've ever had.
Speaker 1: And I really believe that, you know that he can.
Speaker 5: I'm hopeful that he can, but I'm really scared if he can't.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, I mean I put that down as well. My biggest fear is that Wheeler does not bounce back as expected, and Aaron Nola kind of continues that slide of you know he had any array of what was at over six last season. I mean, God, can you imagine if that's he can't bounce back, that that would just be terrible. Now, the one reason I'm optimistic about Wheeler is that he had a similar surgery to Merrill Kelly, who bounced back and had some pretty nice years with the Diamondbacks and Brad Keller, who they just signed from the Royals. He had thoracic outlets in him surgery, the vascular kind, and he said when he talked to us a couple of weeks ago on Zoom, he said he started he felt like about one hundred percent by about the All Star break. So you know, I don't know when they win, Zach might rejoin the rotation. But tell you what, if he kind of feels his way around the first half and then by the All Star break, he's Zach Wheeler of old, that would be that would be huge. I don't think anybody would complain about that. If Zach is thrown like Zach mid July through the end of the season and hopefully the Phillies hope until deep October.
Speaker 3: I'm in lockstep with you, guys. I mean health up and down the roster. It's an it's an older team, it's an aging team. We've seen it before. Older players more susceptible to injury. The older core of this team is very, very important. You lose one or two members, you're a much different team. And then you know zeroing in, you know, within that concern in the middle of the rotation, the iron of the rotation wheeler Nola, guys who've carried, you know, very very heavy loads for years.
Speaker 6: One coming back off surgery. One showed honestly serious signs of decline last year. So where are those guys is going to be?
Speaker 3: That's my big fear that we would see a downturn in the rotation, serious injuries somewhere that's going to affect the.
Speaker 4: Team as a whole.
Speaker 5: Hey, Todd, I wanted to circle back a little bit on one of my curiosities also is how Justin Crawford will react to being an everyday player in center field.
Speaker 1: I think that's a.
Speaker 5: Big one too, because I'm not as concerned really about the offensive piece.
Speaker 1: I'm sort of concerned that he can really.
Speaker 5: Solidify the defensive side because he has to at least do that to contribute to the team. And he can't do that, then you might as well just go ahead and throw Johann Rojas out there in center field and let him roam around. If you're feeling like he can't do it defensively, then my concern is then you better shore up that defense with somebody who can really play center. Field, and Johan Rojas can do that. I know, we haven't talked about him much at all over the course of the last few months, but it's so important for Justin Crawford at the very least to be able to perform at the defensive side of the ball, even though we all have some concerns about the offensive collective from the outfield.
Speaker 2: Great point, yeah, I mean, you know, pitching defense. Everybody's really concerned about the offense of this team. I guess because Garcia has been down the past couple of years. And I get it. You know, we don't know Crawford. You know, guys at ESPN the other day said this might be the worst outfield of Major League Baseball. So I get all that. But they can hang in there. If they can get some good starting pitching and play some good defense. They you guys know it. They can hang in there and they can win a bunch of games with just with a really good starting pitching staff and some good defense.
Speaker 4: So okay.
Speaker 2: Bold prediction, bold prediction, bold prediction for me. You guys can define it however you want it. For bold prediction. May is it's a bold prediction, it's not. Bryce Harper is going to win finish top three for n L MVP. That to me is not a bold prediction. That's a very a that's a safe, not gutsy opinion. And we are We're going to be bold. It's Gabe be bold, because Gabe Kapler said, be bold, be bold value at the margins, be bold value at the margins. Okay, last year bold prediction. Rubin and I again we were on the same at the same wavelength working uh. Rubin said he thinks that Bryson Scott will challenge for a NL batting title. I said Bryson Scott would make the NL All Star team. We both felish fourth fell short there, but he had a real nice second.
Speaker 5: Half, unbelievable second half, and people don't remember.
Speaker 2: That unbelievable second half. So maybe this is maybe we're late, a year late, Ruben.
Speaker 1: I hope so, I hope so for him and for the Phillies.
Speaker 2: That would be Truman. That would be absolutely tremendous. That would go a long way. And Jim, your bold prediction, very bold. You said a Ryan Kirkering would get twenty to twenty two saves.
Speaker 6: And totally nailed that one.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 4: Bold, It was bold.
Speaker 2: I remember I mentioned on the show last year that in twenty nineteen for MLB dot Com we do bold predictions. I said Nick Povetta would make the NL All Star Team. Didn't happen, but he turned into making a having a very nice little career.
Speaker 3: But then we we we we did our predictions around Opening Day and I had a better fate on that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, you did. You said Christopher Sanchez would be top three and l ciung.
Speaker 6: So that was after I saw him in spring training. Looked like he was ready.
Speaker 4: To come to the world.
Speaker 2: It looked like the freaking terminator coming into camp.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so bold predictions, who wants to get to start? Do you want me to go? Yeah, I'll go. This is a bold, very bold prediction. But Justin Crawford is a finalist for NL Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: I love it bold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was bold. That is old.
Speaker 2: A lot of people kind of dumping on Justin Crawford right now because of the whatever, what is it? A sixty one percent ground ball rate and you know, nobody in baseball hits the ball on the ground that much. So I'm just gonna go and questions about we just talked about it. Can you play a solid defense in center field? You know what kind of contributions can he make there? But I'm going to say that this guy who has produced at every level, moving up the ladder of the minor leagues, has a very nice season and he finishes in the top three for nl Rookie of the Year. I put myself on a limb there. But you know what, no one will remember in October.
Speaker 4: Oh we got we got Jim. I gotta okay, So I'm going to say what am I going to say?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say that Boyd buoyed Boyd bye. They've always had pretty good team chemistry. It's even going to be better in twenty twenty six. They're gonna win the World Series.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, O.
Speaker 3: Ryan kirk Wring is going to have the same in the NLCS be carried off the field. They're gonna go on to win the World Series. Bryce Harper is gonna have a great postseason, and Dave Dombroski is gonna lift the trophy and hand it to John Middleton and retire and say I am not dealing with a lockout.
Speaker 4: I'm not dealing with any more of this I'm.
Speaker 6: Going back to Nashville elite non elite drama.
Speaker 3: I'm going home with my as a three time World Series champion, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: So that's my, uh my bold prediction.
Speaker 5: Be a sea of red come November two. There could be a sea of red strolling down the broad Street.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 4: I mean, is that is that too bold? Or is that.
Speaker 5: Why are you really questioning it?
Speaker 1: White question?
Speaker 2: I mean it's bold, it's bold, but I don't think it's you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's I don't think it's not realistic, and I think it's bold.
Speaker 4: Here's what I got.
Speaker 1: Sus Bozardo is gonna win the Cy Young Award. I love cy Jesus.
Speaker 2: Jesus working his magic absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh man, what do you love the way he finished the season?
Speaker 5: He got all the bs straightened out, His stuff's electric, he's confident, he's pitching for a contract.
Speaker 4: He going to go.
Speaker 6: Nuts salary drive. I could see that. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That is a great one.
Speaker 3: And on top of my prediction about you know, my bold prediction about winning the World Series and Ryan Kirkland getting to save in the NLCS Don Mattingly is going to get his first World Series.
Speaker 4: As the bench coach.
Speaker 6: As the bench coach.
Speaker 2: That's right. I would think that that announcement again, very very soon, I would think, I think that's got to be coming real soon.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think Lozardo he I think that's a great storyline. I think he could kick ass and take names.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope he does.
Speaker 5: Great kid, wonderful kid, really underrated trade that.
Speaker 1: Dobrawski made last year.
Speaker 5: Nebraska doesn't get a lot of praise for some of the moves he's made, but that was a really good one.
Speaker 1: Uh. Clearly they go nowhere without.
Speaker 5: Him, especially with the way, and they'd be in trouble right now without him, especially with the way, what's happened.
Speaker 1: With Wheeler and what's happened, what happened with Nola last year. Boy did they need his ass.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you take out those two starts he had where he gave up twenty ernies, twenty ernies five and two thirds innings, if you take those and he's still finished sub four era. If you take out those two starts, he finishes with a three point oh three ERA and like thirty starts pretty good season?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Pretty good? Really? How about I stop five side young?
Speaker 3: For me, it was just this aberration, you know where he was tipping, he was he was just and he should have been out of that one game a lot earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they left him in there too long.
Speaker 2: So the Phillies as of recently have not talked to Jesus WIZARDA about a contract extension. But if you are Dave Dombrowski, do you start those conversations in spring training? You know? Is that a is that a like a A no doubt or you one hundred percent start those conversations in spring training. Again, they have not as of a couple of weeks ago, had any conversation. They have a lot of other stuff going on. It's not like they're not interested.
Speaker 5: But the question was I would say yes, unless they feel that at some.
Speaker 1: Point they're going to have to break this team down.
Speaker 5: Unless they feel like they're breaking it down after twenty twenty six and they're concerned about the age and what's going to happen, I would say yes, they would start the conversations, but I would say no if they feel like they may be breaking it down and retooling or rebuilding.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they definitely have at least an icebreaking conversation of some sort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Hey, I think you got at least at least bring it up. Let him know that, Hey, we love you, we love you, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Athlete. It's going to start with a three.
Speaker 5: The thirty million dollar mark is going to be uh, you know, the AAV is going to be a thirty, and you're gonna have to figure out whether you feel comfortable enough going you know, four or five six years.
Speaker 1: He's not a young he's not an old.
Speaker 2: Man, right right. He's gonna get paid.
Speaker 5: He's going to command, you know, a five six, seven year deal in this day, in this marketplace, I think, especially especially if he pitches makes thirty to thirty two starts.
Speaker 2: He really showed me something. I mean just in the postseason. He pitched great coming out of the Bullpenny pitched great in Game four, right, I mean, he was just super competitive, super competitive.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 4: I love everything about the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun to watch pitch. So all right, guys, there we go a few storylines, fears, curiosities, and bold predictions for twenty twenty six. We'll be back with another show later this.
Speaker 1: Week, Smell Helena Boys, Smelly Jimmy.
Speaker 2: The Philly Show is brought to you by the Foul Territory Network. Subscribe to The Philly Show on YouTube and wherever you get your podcasts.