Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great weekend. Everybody, gang's all here, ready to go. The Minister of humor, Todd Fritz, also Dylan O'Grady in the back row. You guys on your best behavior, smiling and perhaps up to no good front row always Marvin and Paulie the back row guys as well, backroom guys as well. Eight seven seven to three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show, as we always do every Monday, best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Dylan will have the poll question. Today, we'll hear from Tim Kirchin, the great baseball insider, historian, reporter from the Mothership. He'll join us in about twenty minutes from now. We'll talk about to No one's surprised the Dodgers get Trek Skouble. I think the surprise might have been, are you giving up big time talent to get him? And I think the general consensus was could other teams have done this? Probably? But here's the problem with that. Trek Scugble had the leverage by saying he wanted to go to the Dodgers wanted to go to the West Coast. Therefore, you took away a lot of the leverage that maybe the Tigers would have had of what they got in return. The key will be moving forward, the kind of contract Trek Scouble is going to want, And of course looming large is is there going to be a lockout at some point? Do we lose a baseball season? Do we look back on Trek's scuoble and go That's when we finally decided we had to do something. Get a salary cap. I'm okay. If you want to do a salary cap, if you're going to have a floor that's raised as well, I think you got to be fair to the amount of money that the owners are making. The players Association is going to be. If you're having a salary cap, you've got to at least raise the floor so we know that you're going to have salaries that are at least commensurate to other teams in the league. Now, you can spend money stupidly like the Mets did, It's not the Dodgers know how to do this. Organizationally, that's what separates them. You can have a really good minor league system. You can also go out and spend for free agents, you you know, trades. They've done everything, and you've got a brilliant front office who found a way to circumvent the salary cap and the rest of the baseball hierarchy here. So I applaud them for what they did. If I'm a Dodger fan, that's what I want my ownership to do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Am I worried about the rest of baseball? I guess if you said, hey, you know what, because of this, the way your team is, this is what's going to happen in the meantime. Hey, I'm riding the merry go round. This is great. I wonder if Shoheo Tani's injuries may have led to the Dodgers saying we have to have Trek Skoubel. It's not a situation of hey, this would be luxury item. It might be something that they truly need. And keep this in mind, for all the spending the Dodgers had, how close did the Blue Jays come to winning the World Series last year? When you are in a seven game series and all it takes is one pitcher or two pitchers to get hot, or one bat or two bats to get hot, and all of a sudden things change. So yes, the Dodgers prohibitive favorites even before the trade deadline. By the way, later today is the trade deadline. But if you're looking at World Series odds, yes, the Dodgers are prohibitive favorites at plus one fifty, the Yankees at plus six hundred. That's really it. Then it goes down to the Brewers at plus one thousand, the Braves plus one thousand, the Rays plus fourteen hundred. So yes, is it top heavy with the Yankees and the Dodgers, Yes, it is. But I thought the Brewer is going to try to jump in. And if you put Trek Skouble with miss Rowski, look out, because then you can take on anybody if you have two hammers like that. I always go back to Randy Johnson and Kirk Shilling when the Diamondbacks had them. They had hammers and you had to deal with them. But back then, pictures were going seven to eight, maybe even nine innings. Obviously the game has changed and the Dodgers, the Dodgers did what I thought they were going to do. I'm wondering if they're done at the trade deadline, but we'll talk to Tim Kirchin. He'll join us. Coming up. All right, Dylan. Poll question for the first hour is going to be, what, well.
Speaker 4: If you had to bet on the World Series winner today, are you taking the Dodgers or the field.
Speaker 2: I'll take the field. I'll take the field. I'm not fully committed to that, but for content purposes only, I would take the field. I just I've been around this too long where you just see something in you go. I didn't think that was going to happen. Now. Do I expect the Dodgers to win, Yes, but can you see where something happens?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, PAULI the fact that you.
Speaker 5: Had to pause before picking the field, It's like the field should be the pick. But the Dodgers of that threatening there, they're removing any possibility for an injury that messes them up. They could afford them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's really the key that if Shoheutani can't pitch again, or they're not going to pitch him, Okay, problem solved. I bring in Trek Scouble. They already got the line up there. They're outscoring the opposition by what's the number now, Pauli.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers have outscored their opponents by one hundred and fifty runs this year. There's only two teams that are over one hundred and five of They're always one of them.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. You got a big project coming up? Chat gpt has a new agent for larger projects, Chat gpt work you give it a goal. Helped turn scattered material into finished work. Get started at chatgpt dot com selecting work mode available on plus and pro plans. What else do you have there? Dylan Possible pull questions for Hour one.
Speaker 4: A simple one. Are you in favor of a salary cap in baseball?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 4: And does this change the Scooble to the Dodgers thing influence you in that way?
Speaker 2: I would think that everybody is going to be in favor unless you're a Dodger fan. For the salary cap. The Players Association wouldn't be in favor of it. But I think as a sports fan, if you look at the NBA and you've had eight different winners the last eight years, if that's what you want, instead of when I was growing up, you always had that team. You had to beat that team. There was always the dynasty, whether it was the UCLA Bruins or you know, I grew up with a big red machine. You know, there was the Steel Curtain. You had that team you set your sights on and say we got to be better than them. You might be kind of parody. Everybody has a chance. The NFL gives you that every single year. So I would say most people outside of the player Association and Dodger fans would be in favor of a salary cap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, you know, like you said that, the salary floor has got to be more important because if you're a Pirates fan, I just looked at the Pirate's history. They made the postseason three times in the past thirty three years. That's that's less than ten percent. You got to get a chance to have a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers, they are now paying one hundred and eighty million dollars in luxury text that's more than twelve total team's entire payroll. So there is a problem with that.
Speaker 3: It sounded like a stat of the day.
Speaker 6: Maybe you were just letting it breathe Is that what you were doing the anticipation there. I don't know if you were still going or not, but I was ready.
Speaker 2: Okay, I made eye contact with you. I was, you know, like laser focused those blue eyes. Yeah, well yeah, oh yeah, all right, so we'll come up with the pole question. Phone calls is always with best and worst of the weekend. I do have updated odds. By the way, Dylan will be betting on the Hall of Fame game on the next gambling podcast, right, yes, sir, okay, the Panthers are favored by one and a half over the Cardinals and the over unders thirty six and a half.
Speaker 3: Just let you know.
Speaker 2: And yes, I used to bet on preseason football. I used to bet on the Hall of Fame game.
Speaker 3: Oh I was. That was sad. That's very sad.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marmon, how low did you have to go preseason football?
Speaker 2: I know, but you're so you're only energize for football, you're waiting for it, and you're like, all right, preseason football, And you know, I've got depth charts. I'm thinking who's playing, how long they're playing, starters aren't playing, how good's their second string? You know, quarterback, running back, all of that stuff. No, Sad really said, Yes, Daling, you.
Speaker 4: Could argue that that's the sharp play. Like the best run I ever went on betting was I had a time where I was all over the preseason hockey point totals said.
Speaker 3: They weren't.
Speaker 2: Man all of a sudden, Brendan Sorosby doesn't look.
Speaker 5: That bad, you know, yes, Bowen, which is worse betting on the Hall of Fame game or being cited that your team wins the Hall of Fame game like a fan base was like, if I'm a Cardinal fan, you know we.
Speaker 3: Won that game fourteen thirteen.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm just saying, if I'm a Cardinal fan, I'll take any victory like a scrimmage. Hey, you know what, we beat the Commanders.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Mark, No, don't do that because the Lions won all four of their preseason games and then win oh to sixteen. So I'm not sure if they want to do that.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of football, Sean McVay at his press conference was talking about the possibility of Aaron Donald returning.
Speaker 8: Hey, here's what I would tell you. There won't be any news on that front until we get back to Woodland.
Speaker 2: Hills.
Speaker 8: You know, we have some different things, which you know, I know, I totally understand. What I don't want to do is put there's some conversations that we've had, We've loosely had some different timelines that are kind of temporary. I want to keep those between us, just you know, if something unforeseen happens, out of respect for him in the situation. But I know this, you know, the things are going in the right direction, and if there's an arrow, it's trending upwards.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm even surprised that he's talking that much about this because it feels like, now, do I think something's going to happen, Yes, I do. I think that Aaron Donald will play Because he's saying it's trending upward. I think you have an idea, a sense of this. If I'm Aaron Donald, I don't want to go to camp any sooner than I have to. But if I'm Sean McVay, I would probably take the approach of, hey, I want to talk about the players who were here instead of the hypothetical, because then people will you know, you're going to write down his words, record his words, and then play the words back to him and what happened. So I think staying off the topic, even though he's excited about the possibility, I would probably remove myself from the hypothetical of Aaron Donald just say, you know, I got to set a deadline at some point. I think when they go back from training camp, then he's going to have something to say, and I think that it probably will be that Aaron Donald is going to come back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, PAULI, the deadline for Aaron Donald should be during the national anthem in week one. If he walks on the field shirtless, I'd put him in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's gonna play. It feels like there's I haven't heard any setbacks. I haven't heard anything of you know what, there's a chance that maybe he's not coming back. But I do think that when you can hear it in his voice, you can hear it in his voice that he's having some fun with this. He's excited about this, and rightfully. So all right, we'll take a break. We'll talk to Tim Kirkchin about the situation, not only with the Dodgers, and any other moves that were made or weren't made, and why or why not. We're back after this. Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: And in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel four, The Show.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 10: You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 9: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube. Again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We have our play of the day coming up. We'll settle on our poll question. Your phone calls always welcome, best and worst to the weekend. Here's Dodger manager Dave Roberts on criticism regarding the trade for Terry Skooble.
Speaker 11: There's it just seems like there's always blowback with us. People are passionate. We feel good about it. There's nothing that we did that no one else couldn't have done. You know, I just lot our front office or you know, we have to have the players to be able to pull something like this off, and you know we still got you know, partly one of the top two or three or one or two or three farm systems in baseball, you know, a day later. So it's a credit to a lot of people in this organization.
Speaker 2: He's right about that with the farms to have the pieces that you can trade away to get treks Scuuble. Tim Kirkchin, Tim Kirkchin, ESPN Baseball Trade Deadline, they have a special on the Mothership from four to six Eastern. Tim will be there with Jeff Pass Andbuster only at Wardo Perez and Kevin Conners the trade deadline six pm Eastern. All right, Timmy, where do you stand on what the Dodgers pulled off here with trek Scuble?
Speaker 12: How a problem with this? I mean, is it healthy Dan, that the payroll disparities is what it is in the major leagues right now? No, it's not healthy. But that's not the Dodgers fault. A lot of other teams are spending a lot of money. And people don't like to hear this, but the Dodgers are an exceptionally run organization. They draft and develop better than most teams, They teach better than most teams, so they were in a position to do this and a lot and Dave Roberts is right, a lot of other teams could have gone out and gotten trek skouble with the understanding of course they have the resources and the money that other teams don't have. But when it comes to the resources, they've built that organization so well, that's how they have a really, really good farm system them are able to make a deal like this.
Speaker 2: Does getting schooball now give the Dodgers a luxury of not having to pitch Otani at any time over the next month or so.
Speaker 12: Yes, I think it does, and I think they want him. I know they want him to pitch in October. But when you get Blake Snell back, and you have Snell and Yamamoto and Scooble, and when they get Tyler glass Now back and they have Rokisuzaki, it's it's one hundred miles an hour with a great split. That's already five guys right there without Otani. Now they want Otani to pitch. I think Otani will pitch before the end of the season, But this indeed gives them the opportunity to say we need him as a great offensive player, and if pitching is in any way going to get in the way of that, we don't have to pitch him because we just acquired the best pitcher in the American League.
Speaker 3: How do the Dodgers not win the World Series?
Speaker 12: Well, Dan, you played both sports, and you recognize that anything can happen in baseball. And you have the best players on a basketball team and they work really well together, and Michael and Larry touch it on every possession. That's different than in baseball because Show is only in about four or five times a game, and they might not pitch to him. But I think the Dodgers are the clear favorites to win the World Series again, in part because their roster is just so ridiculously deep, and now they're pitching staff is equally deep.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the expensive elephant in the room about what this is going to mean for baseball as we move forward and the CBA and Players Association and all that mess that we know is looming here. Tim.
Speaker 12: Yeah, mess is a good word for it, Dan, and I am worried like everyone else that there will be a lockout, there will be games lost next year, we might lose the whole season let's hope none of that is true. But this, this is where we are right now. The two sides are really far apart. Wasn't that long ago Someone who would know told me never seen the side this far apart with a deadline looming this close. So let's just hope that everyone recognizes there is so much money to be lost in this game if we don't play by the players, hand by the owners, and maybe somehow someone will find a way to put this together. But if the owners think they're going to get a salary cap from the players, I just don't think that's going to happen. And that's why I think we're going to have a work stoppage at this point.
Speaker 2: But if you look at seventy percent of teams reinvest less than fifty percent of their revenue back into their own teams. The recent study had that. So is it a salary floor that we need more than we need a salary cap.
Speaker 12: I'm not even sure a floor fixes fixes the situation either day. Let's just say you have a ninety million dollar payroll and you're not very good and you're going to lose. You know, you're going to win sixty eight games and then they make you spend one hundred and fifty million, and then you win seventy two games, and you only finish four games higher, and you still don't make the playoffs. Just because you have a floor doesn't mean you're going to solve the problem. Is it worth a try? Yes, it's worth to try. Am I in favor of it, Yes, I am. But it's it's not going to solve all the problems. The problems are too big to be solved just by a salary floor.
Speaker 2: I thought about this. I saw this the anniversary nineteen sixty and I thought of you. The Tigers traded their manager, Jimmy Dike's to the Indians for their manager, Joe Gordon. I figured you would have a story or something to add to this. Knowing you, I'm.
Speaker 12: Not sure I have a manager for manager story. I was only three years old at the time, Dan, But it just goes to show you how beautiful this game is that just when you think you've seen everything, something else happened. It's just it's just the craziest, stupidest, best game her And it's going to be proven again today because something's gonna happen at the trade deadline. It's just going to make our us slap our foreheads like we do all the time. But that's why baseball is so great, is it's so unpredictable and I never know what's going to be around the corner. This year, I've been wrong Dan so many times about so many things, so many teams, and I'm not apologizing to anybody for it, because it just proves dead. The game is so beautiful, it's too good to be predicted. And Dan, it troubles me a little bit that we're trying to predict what a player is going to look like five years from now, or a team is going to look like five years from now, and we don't even know what's going to look like five minutes from now. That's just how the game operates.
Speaker 2: Are you surprised like I am that the mic cackage Fritz Peterson swapping wives they were teammates hasn't been made into a movie yet.
Speaker 12: And they swapped the show You're too Dad, imagine doing that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just yes, they were to be named children be named later.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 13: For a fifth.
Speaker 12: Grader to be named later. No, I'm shocked that more wasn't made out of that at the time. Magine, Dan, if something like that were to happen today with Twitter ex whatever it's called, the Internet, all that stuff, it would be total bedlam. Yes, I think at some point someone needs to make a movie about that, because it actually happened between major League baseball players.
Speaker 2: Thanks for squeezing us in. I know you're busy, safe travels, Thank you, Timmy all right, Dan, see it. That's Tim Kirkchin of the Mothership. They got their trade deadline special from four to six eastern tonight, Jeff Passen, Buster Olney at Wardo Perez, Kevin Connors in the studio and the trade deadline at sixth Eastern. I know that we've had Matt Damon on and he and Ben Affleck. I think we're looking circling that project of the two Yankee pitchers who basically traded families. Amazing. I think that was nineteen seventy one, Fritz Peterson and Mike Keckage, and I think one of the two stayed married the other one's marriage broke up, but they traded kids too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paully, you can look up this story and you can see, like the New York Times page a sports page the next day, it's a real headline and it's out there. It happened in nineteen seventy three, after the trade deadline Dan by the way, which seems to be a violation. But yeah, about ten years ago, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck talk to some of the people involved about making a movie. It's stalled a little bit, but this has to happen.
Speaker 2: It just feels like if you said to somebody, hey, I'm thinking about two teammates and they traded their families, and you'd go, well, nobody's going to buy into that. Well, it happened in nineteen seventy three. A couple of phone calls here lead us off. Gust In la I guess you got to be feeling good today.
Speaker 14: Good morning, mister Patrick. Hope you and the boys had a great weekend. Will Aside from I had the worst of the weekend before the best of the weekend Saturday afternoon, I unfortunately had a break. Heel break held radialis tear you ever.
Speaker 12: Heard of that?
Speaker 3: I tore It sounds painful.
Speaker 14: I tore the tendon in my forearm that pretty much goes down to the wrist, not allowing me to properly grip anything or rotate my wrist without excruciating pain. So I'm dealing with that. And then Saturday night, that's when the real fun kicked in. When I saw that the Dodgers acquired arguably the best picture in baseball for apparently three people that the Brewery than the Braves could not find in their farm system. That is when I saw how soft Major League baseball fans have become. I'm sorry, when did it become that it was our fault that the Boston Red Sox called up the Dodgers and said, Hey, can we have mookie bets in exchange for two in and out burgers? Hey, Atlanta, you know they didn't care about Freddie Freeman, they let him walk. Is it the Dodgers' fault that showhil Tony went back to the Angels and said, Hey, the Dodgers are offer me this, can you guys match it? Please? No enjoy the drive up to five. When did it become we were the villains in all of this? When baseball owners around the league make almost as much as the other owners do, but all of a sudden, it's our fault that we're the ones that are taking advantage of the opportunities that we have it's not our fault. You guys need to turn back, look at your owners and say, hey, why can't we do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you guys. Sorry about the injury, but hopefully you're healing. With Trek Scubel on the mound. You start to look at this and you go find the Brewers or the Rays. Okay, maybe I can't keep Trek's scouble But how important is this season? How good is your team that you might have a chance. And I think that's the key. Just get to the World Series. Like if you're an American League team, just get there. Yes, you'll probably meet up against the Dodgers. But if you can take schoobl away from the Dodgers, maybe I have a chance when you get there. And I think that's the important part with this. I'm looking at the guys the Dodgers gave up. I think two of the prospects are top forty prospects.
Speaker 3: But there are other.
Speaker 2: Teams that had some players that maybe you could trade if it's important.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: For the Dodgers, every year is important, and yes, do they have the resources. I know that, but they treat every year as a lost opportunity. If we don't win the World Series other teams. The Yankees used to be that way lost opportunity. Now they're just hoping to get back. Thank you Gus Chris and Syracuse. Hi Chris, what do you have for me?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 15: Thanks Dany, I had a couple of bass and worse for you. Best of Fernando Mendoz's comments about Kirk Cousins being the number one quarterback going into training camp. His self awareness and humility is awesome and I hope the Raiders don't completely hand over the reins till to Mendoz until they shore up that offensive line. And another best to Jay Davian Clowney signing with the Texans yesterday. How many more contracts is that guy going to get? It seems like he's been around forever and it looks like he manned up ending his career where it started twelve thirteen years ago. And the worse bicker Mayfield this weekend talking about a Netflix in Omaha Productions, which I think is Peyton manning. This an upcoming series which supposedly is a behind the scenes look at some NFL quarterbacks this year, and Mayfield said that the quarterbacks have beatle power over any part of the content they don't want to air. So that's the case, how can it be a behind the scenes look and fans now knowing the content is edited, I think it will hurt viewership. And lastly, Friday night, the Big Ten and SEC both jumping on board with the idea of passing the Senate built to regulate college football, and Dan Hurley also this weekend saying in a colorful way, college sports needs to be saved, but I hope not by the federal government.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris. Yeah, Friday was fascinating. From what I'm told by a source that President Trump got directly involved on Friday, notifying the SEC and Big Ten that if they didn't fall in line supporting this bill, he would make it clear to the American people how all of college sports's ills were their problems. He said he would hit them hard and repeatedly. So you got the SEC and the Big Ten that they are playing nice. I think all the conferences want this to happen. And once again they didn't mind their own business. They needed help, and that's why they're going to Congress because it got out of hand. It got out of hand quickly, and there was nothing they could do. Now they're hoping Congress is going to be able to help them help college athletics. Solomon in La, Hi Solomon, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. Yeah, you know, doctor fan here. You know the slings and arrows are coming today. So I got three things to say. Number One, in the last twenty years, two of the top payroll teams of Wonder World Series two. Okay, three under the top ten Wonder World Series number two. Oh, the Dodgers they got the money. Yeah, Steve Cohen has a multi billionaire Howard the Met's doing. And number three, it's not just the money, it's how you spend it and give me if you spend a lot of money. The Boston the Red Sox just came in and swept the Dodgers, So there you go. They may not be sitting always on top of the mountain, and you can always get knocked off. So I'm happy the Dodgers got him. Moving forward, it looks good and let's see what happens. You play the game on the field.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Solomon, you have I mean Andrew Friedman pulled this off when he was with Tampa. He made great moves and didn't have money. You have to have smart baseball people. It's not just Steve Cohen's like, I'm gonna buy a winner and then what's that look like? Now now you're selling off parts. I think you have to have some kind of game plan here. Yes you do have money. Yes you have to be smart and say to show Autani, hey would you defer this money? And he's willing to do that, you know, getting Freddy Freeman getting Mookie bets. The Braves aren't going to resign anymore. The Red Sox are willing to trade Mookie. You know, they've taken advantage of a lot of different teams, but I think they've done it in a smart way. It's not just we're gonna come in and bulldoze you. Yes, Marvin, You.
Speaker 6: Even look back at the nineties Yankees when they were winning championships, those four World Series titles, they had homegrown talent Posada Jeter, Mariann Rivera, Bernie Williams. Even when they had all those big name Giambi a Rod even to share a Cci. They won one World Series when he really started spending a boatload of cash. So it doesn't guarantee you anything. Really like a good pharmacism and having a good, well run organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: And people talk about the Yankees, they had homegrown talent. The difference was they were able to keep the homegrown talent. Most like the Pirates have homegrown talent, they can't keep them. The Yankees were able to spend that money on Jeter and Posada Marianna. That's the difference. We can grow them, but can we keep them? And most teams can't keep their talent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, I agree that other teams, lesser spending teams do have a chance to make the playoffs and win the World Series. But I think what really bums people out. If you're a sports fan of like again to bring into Pirates, you know, Paul Skins will not finish his career with your team. There's just a zero chance of it. He won't finish his twenties with your team. Two years from now or less, Paul Skins will be a Dodger or elsewhere unless he is just the anomaly that passes on millions. He has to do a Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't think of any other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dodgers just made a smart move, that's all. And we saw it coming. But in granted, did they have leverage because Derek Schouobi wanted to go there. Yes, but team, you know, players are going to want to go to that team. They're going to want to play because you're playing for championships. And that's a testament to what they've done, what they've grown. But they came with it in an eyelash of not winning the World Series. I don't think it's a four gune conclusion, but I thought some of these teams. Now I'm looking at the payrolls. So the Dodgers right now the best odds. They have the number two payroll. The Yankees they have the third payroll. Then it's the Brewers third best odds by the way, to win the World Series. They have the nineteenth payroll, Braves the sixth, followed by the Rays the twenty third highest payroll, then the Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Astros, and the Marlins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, poem, But if we want a salary cap and baseball, should we root for the Dodgers to win this year or root for, like if you don't a dog in the fight, the Brewers because they're lovable and they don't spend it time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's hard to root for the Dodgers if you're saying, I'm going to root for the Dodgers just so they win the World Series and then we can tell everybody, the owners that we need salary cap right, I guess. But it's not like you know, you don't know. The Dodgers aren't the evil Empire like they have great personalities there. You can't help but love Dave Roberts. It's not one of those where like George Steinbrenner with the Yankees, hard to like, but he was brilliant at what he did, and you took your money and reinvested it in your team. That's what I want any other fan base, if you could trade your team for the Dodgers and their philosophy, their front office, you'd be like, yep, I'd do it.
Speaker 1: Play the Day next. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 16: Oh my God, of the day of the day, check this.
Speaker 1: Out, saying a line right right field. Here comes first out out a store lock up.
Speaker 2: Winner for the seventy day a roll Mariners winning seven to six ok the.
Speaker 1: Twins this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Courtesy of the Mariners Radio Network. The Mariners have nineteen walk off wins since the start of last season. That is the most in Meter League Baseball. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by Rectech r ec teq dot com. More heat, more consistent temperature control, more stainless steel, rectech wood fired grills, built like a tank, built to last. R e c t eq dot com. Nothing compares to cooking on a rectech. More of your phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Hall of Famer and waiting Larry Fitzgerald will join us. Coming up at the top of the hour. I was looking at the twenty twenty four class of wide receivers. Remember this was the load with wide receivers class Marvin Harrison Junior, the third, Malik Neighbors, Roma Doonza, Brian Thomas Junior, Xavier Worthy, Ricky Pearsaw, Xavier leget Keon Coleman, Lad McConkie. Okay, how many out of that group hit Malik Neighbors coming back from an injury. Marvin Harrison Junior, he's not great. I think we expected him to be great. Fourth pick overall, Brian Thomas was a surprise and kind of a mixed bag. Now a doonsay with injuries, Xavier Worthy, Ricky Pearsaw's out for the year, Keon Coleman, Xavier leget Lad McConkie. So you do have some names there and still a chance to kind of resurface, as you know, the player of the talent we thought you were going to be. But that's the twenty twenty four loaded wide receiver class. That not exactly impressing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, PAULI, I went back and look at Marvin Harrison Junior's draft profile, and you know they always put weaknesses. The person analyzing said, we're really nitpicking here because there aren't any. This is one of our complete receivers ever to come out of college football. It was the sure thing of wide receivers like Trevor Lawrence was to quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Jadevian Clowney is back with the Texans and that defense is already the best in football with Daniel Hunter and Stingley and Will Anderson. But Clowney quietly had eight and a half sacks for the Cowboys last season. Now it comes down to c J. Stroud because David Montgomery, Nico Collins, Jayden Higgins, Tank Dell you got everything there. This could be a super Bowl caliber team. It's just you know, CJ. Stroud can't lose games for you. Last year and the loss to the Patriots, he completed forty two percent of his passes, four interceptions, finish the postseason, two touchdowns, seven turnovers.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Probably simplify it and just say you got to have a quality year. You know, I'm not asking for thirty five touchdowns, but if you can give me, I want to know the touchdown to interception and fumble ratio because if I can get good numbers there, I can't have my defense be putting us in a position to win. You're putting us in a position to lose. Yeapaul.
Speaker 12: CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud is a rookie. Fifteen starts, forty one hundred yards, twenty three touchdowns. He was eighth for MVP as a rookie and cleaned up for Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: And you'll take those numbers if you play clean games. That's what you're asking for. You don't have to win them, just don't lose them. But I think the Texans Texan's going to be in that conversation for best team in the AFC.
Speaker 3: Really feel it.
Speaker 2: Buddha in San Francisco, Hi, Buddha, what do you have for me?
Speaker 10: Happy Monday? Boys, Let's go Dodger Nation. Baby, wasn't me Dan, or did Solomon in LA sound like Dave Roberts?
Speaker 3: That was wild?
Speaker 13: But my phone Dan on Saturday was blowing up.
Speaker 10: And when we when I saw that we acquired Terrek School, I just chuckled.
Speaker 13: It's like like us getting.
Speaker 10: Schoobls, like Warren Buffen finding one hundred dollars bill in the sidewalk man, and like to everyone who's upset about this, like he wanted to.
Speaker 13: Come and he picked us.
Speaker 10: You know, I mean, we still have to go out and play the games and win them.
Speaker 13: Nothing is promised, and it's not like we're.
Speaker 10: Out here banging on trash cans. Fritzy and best of the weekend, Dan, Los Angeles Avengers getting stronger and bolstering up their bullpen with tarre Scoobel and shout out to Dodger front house front the front office man in the farm system it's always been the class of the major leagues and worst of the weekend. Then w I mean, it's just been a bad summer for them. It's starting to feel like reality TV when some basketball games sprinkled in between.
Speaker 13: The drama that's going on all the time.
Speaker 3: It's just not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Buddhah Edgar and Anaheim Hi Edgar, what do you have for me?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 17: Dan, just want to let people you know, being a Dodger n it has no been glory. You know, I grew up in the nineties watching a horrible Dodger team year after year after your last place, last place.
Speaker 18: So this this nowadays, you know, everybody thinks it's easy, and that's not easy. Remember, we lost a bunch of World Series. We choked a lot. We were getting clown out every time by a bunch of fans all over baseball. So now that we're actually winning, we're getting a lot of hate that we're buying championship. We're not like this guy that they traded for goog Ball. We got him from Chicago Cubs. That was your hope. It wasn't even our draft pick. So it's management doing the job too. It's not all money money's not everything.
Speaker 13: Look at the Mets.
Speaker 18: The Mets, they're freaking horrible.
Speaker 2: Yes they are, Yes, the number one payroll in baseball, and I don't know if it's gonna get any better anytime soon. There, Adam and Michigan. Hi, Adam, what do you have for me?
Speaker 19: Hey? So, Gus and Buddha are not wrong about the Dodgers. The rest of the league just as malpractice. They are just phenomenally run and they're doing it like everybody should just like take notes. But going back to your conversation with Tim Kirchin, I had never heard about managers being traded like that, and that's mind blowing. Is there an NFL trade of two head coaches that we could love to see?
Speaker 14: Like you got to punter in on that.
Speaker 2: Who would be the number one coach or manager traded? Like, if you were going to trade a coach, Sean McVay would probably be high on that list. Mike McDonald, you just won a Super Bowl, yes, Marvin Andy Reid, Andy Reid, Yeah, Andy Reid n No. Too old as far as how long he meaning, I don't know how much time he's going to be coaching, right, I mean, he's too old. I mean you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 2: He's coaching Old Todd. You're in the confessional. Start us off on this Monday best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like. We'll talk to Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals. He'll join us next Dan Patrick Show.