Speaker 1: This is the game for the thirty five six seconds left. Browns up five to theen this and beat the Steelers. Russell Wilson to throw back to throw has time. Here's the Thros ball up into the air towards the end zone. Knock it down, chuck ball, complate broke plea.
Speaker 2: And they're making snow Angels. Twenty four nineteen.
Speaker 3: Oh what a.
Speaker 2: Call by our friend Andrew Ceciliano on w k r K. What a game. I usually wait till the end of the show to say this, but when it's snowing and the Browns are winning an AFC North game at the very end with help from Jamis Winsday, you know football is back. I am so fired up tonight to be joined by my friend bo Wolf of p h L Y and he thought I was assigning him to a stinker. And that's why you got to watch bow Wolf. You never know when you're gonna get one of the most memorable games of the season. I don't think it's hyperbole to say this upset by the Browns in the snow globe was one of those games.
Speaker 4: And to be here with you for what might be the definitive Jameis Winston game. I mean, what a treat for me.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is true, Jamis Winston. True believers, supporters, this is your night, This is for you. Our guy got it toute. I think the definitive game is definitely the game where he threw his thirtieth touchdown and his thirtieth interception in the final week because everyone is just rooting for it, rooting for it, and then it happened. But yes, this is one of the best moments. I'd have to go back. He did have bet more good moments for Tampa than people remember, but what a moment for him. I thought he had his moment early in the fourth quarter when they took the lead to go up eighteen to six. After some total heroics, they blow the lead, giving up two touchdowns, including a sequence where it was a strip sack of Jamis Winston. That the Steelers then took a lead nineteen to eighteen. Steelers had the ball at one point with the lead, and you didn't think it was gonna happen? Didja? When the Browns got the ball back with a little over three minutes left, bo Wolf and then they go on a touchdown drive that I can't imagine many Browns fans expected that considering the way this season has gone.
Speaker 4: Or as even as as Kirk Kurbstreet said on the call, like maybe they thought they scored too early.
Speaker 5: They're like, oh this is this is too good. That's it.
Speaker 4: But I mean there were there were so many, I know, we'll got to all of them. So many Jamis moments in this game. I mean you had the like the powerful downfield tackle on a fumble, just laying Wood down there. You had the touchdown that you talked about, the two point conversion where the battery is like dangling in front of his helmet. You have the like the drive when they're trying to score after he fumbles it. He makes that beautiful throw on the run to Jerry Judy and then throws the interception, which you're like, okay, that was probably at some point, and then he leads the game winning touchdown drive it is it was.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is very jamous. It was very cool.
Speaker 4: It's like, if you had asked me before this game what was going to happen, I would have probably flippantly said, like, oh, the Browns will probably blow it late, the Steelers will win a close game. There's gonna be a lot of jamous moments, and that's almost what happened. But even if that had happened, you would have missed so much of the wonder of the game. And we haven't even gotten to the snow of it. I know.
Speaker 2: That's why you can't look at the box score, because in the end he has one interception, no touchdowns on this game two hundred and nineteen yards, which through the snow was crazy. And we hadn't mentioned that. The game starts with some light precipitation, sometimes nothing, sometimes like a little just flakes out there, but the field's clean. It's windy for the most a little bit, but it's fine. And then by the end of the game, this is full you know, Fox Burroughs last game with the tuck rule and Adam Vintteri in the snow. It is an absolute blizzard out there, and both he and Russell Wilson are making really good passes for the most part. I guess we should have known. You put late career Russell Wilson, really any stage career Russell Wilson against Jamis Winstone. You're right, in the primetime game, it's gonna get really stupid. I want to start actually with the last drive and yeah, we can kind of go backwards from there. But on the last drive of the game, Jamis gets it back after the Steelers don't do a good job with it. They get it with four twenty two left and they go three and out. They bring in Justin Fields on I think it was second and third down.
Speaker 6: Is that right? Bo?
Speaker 5: I don't know if he was gonna say, I think that's right. I think that's okay.
Speaker 2: It was definite a third down where he throws the ball down the field one on one coverage, just kind of a hope ball to Pickens, and it was part of a night where Fields is coming in and out of the lineup. It felt like he was on the field more than he really was. He only ended up throwing one pass and that was it, and he ran three times, including a failed fourth down. But the Steelers didn't quite know what to do with Russell Wilson because he was just up and down and the red zone offense has been so bad and they were bad on fourth down.
Speaker 4: The Fields thing was interesting because we joked earlier in the week that like the Browns defense gave up this huge game to Taysom Hill, Like maybe the Steelers are going to lean into Justin Fields, and Fields is on the field on the first third down of the game, and then they get a penalty they take him off. So it was as if this was a big plan for them coming into the game. I think he only played one other snap in the first half, but then he was on the field to lead that one touchdown drive on the nice you know, the thirty yard keeper. He's in for three plays before they bring Russell in, but then Wilson comes in and leads the go ahead touchdown drive. So it was weird when you knew that they needed to get a first down and probably throw there, that they let Justin Fields throw that pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be a really interesting ten days in Pittsburgh, I think talking about this and a really interesting rest of the season. One thing that's really stuck with me throughout this whole Russell Wilson period of him starting is Mike Tomlin saying that I think it was a report that he just he wanted to see what he had in Russell Wilson, like he he had all off season with Russell Wilson, and he wanted to take a test drive and see what the difference was between the two quarterbacks and what he had, and I expect he's gonna stick with Russell Wilson in general. But when you don't score a touchdown for almost eight straight quarters, which is what happened here. We almost got to one hundred and twenty minutes straight without a touchdown, and you have a guy who's clearly better in the red zone, I think Tomlin is thinking, hmm, maybe maybe I'll use fields a little more. Who knows even and this game, I don't know if which way it's going to convince him, because it was kind of the full Russell Wilson experience, where a lot of beautiful passes but a lot of mind numbing mental mistakes.
Speaker 4: You do think that like the reason that there is never there has never really been like a true sort of like quarterback rotation in game is because of the egos involved like that that seems like a total recipe for disaster within the locker room and with the two quarterbacks in question. But I do think that if any coach is able to manage those egos well, and I mean, we can talk about some of the mistakes that Tomlin made in this game managing and they lose this game, so there's going to be heat on him. But in terms of like managing personalities, that is like that's his superpower, right like the you know, everybody's patting him on the back rightfully. So I for we're going to Russell Wilson mid season in the first place, I feel like if any if anybody could do that and sort of mix in both guys depending on the situation, it would be Tomlin.
Speaker 2: I do too, And yet coming into this year, I would have said Russell Wilson would have been about the last quarterback that I think could have handled this. But he's been by all accounts, and you can see it. I think a very good teammate with Justin Fields has handled everything well, handled it well when he was a backup, and maybe he's down with it. It's he's at a fit portion of his career. And we'll see, because I know Drew Brees did not love it when they were pulling him out for Taysom Hill. But that's a little different situation where one guy is a clearly established future Hall of Famer and the others a gadget guy. We'll get to that in a second. I want to go back to that last drive and all these last drives because they were fascinating. On the last drive in the snow, fourth and three, Jerry Judy catches an out route, and that's kind of what I want to point out about Jamis twenty seven passes tonight for two hundred and nineteen yards. If you go back and watch that Saints game a week ago, I even dare anyone who doesn't have a family and frankly doesn't like themselves to go back and watch that Chargers game where everyone said Jamis stunk because he had a bunch of interceptions. He still had like like seven or eight gorgeous throws. He's been spinning the ball very well and I think fits and Kevin Stefanski's offense. Obviously, that first game he had back was fantastic, and I think you saw it tonight, like he was pushing the ball down the field in the snow. There were a lot of high level throws. Yeah, he had the interception. I mean that the fumble was not on him, but it does say a lot fourth down in a big spot, and really throughout the entire second half, they were trusting Jamis. They kind of thought, I don't know if this is gonna work with Nick Chubb and our offensive line on the ground. That's not going to work. Like, let's just trust Jamis in his arm and have some fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 4: The like the book on Ken Dorsey in Cleveland's like this guy leans on the pass a little bit too much, like he doesn't run it enough. And it was almost as if they came out in this game and it was like he had been chastised to try to run the ball first. And the first two drives are three and out like they're trying to go run first and it just doesn't work. They look terrible, and so then that third drive they finally open it up. You know, they get they bring in Michael Dunn for the heavy sixth offensive line package. All of a sudden, they go down score a touchdown because they're they're throwing the ball and they are trusting Jamis. That was a beautiful throw to Jerry Judy, But what did you make of the sequence right before it? So there's the what could have been the intentional grounding, which is also of very Jamis play. They called the illegal touching, And then there's the very long back and forth with Mike Tomlin about whether they wanted to be third and seven or third and eight or fourth and two, fourth and three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't understand that. And that was actually after so the Judy fourth down comes first. I mean, this game was so insane. It's easy to forget that the Browns had the ball in Pittsburgh territory because their punter punted at fifteen yards and there was a couple punts like that tonight was just ghastly. I think one was by the Browns when one was by.
Speaker 4: The Actually there was a great Al Michaels Like what is that on the first one in the first quarter. I thought, by the way, I thought, this game totally rejuvenated Al. I thought Al was yes, like this was like, oh, finally a game that I can enjoy.
Speaker 2: I've been very hard on Al. He's still Al Michaels, and when he's kind of like this game was how when you watch a great Aaron Rodgers throw or Kirk Cousin's throw this year, there's still great throws or like they have great drives and maybe it's not consistent like you want it, but this game was like a gorgeous throw by Al Michaels. I'm totally with you he was up for it. Kirk was mostly up for it. Kirk was Kirk. But yeah, they get the ball at the forty five, they get it to the fourth and six, they get Judy and I was really impressed by that through I wanted to point it out because Nate Herbert, who's had a great game, hits Winston as he's throwing out, so game's basically over if Winston doesn't deliver from the podka. That's why he got drafted first overall was because, you know, people that weren't that smart were like, there's a little Peyton Manning in him. He reads the field so well and he's just so good from the pocket. Like that was the type of play people got excited about as a prospect. That decision that Tomlin made and then unmade, and then made and then unmade. It was on a third and two. I'm not going to kill him either way. The only thing that was confusing to me is like, why is he allowed to change his mind five times? And why did the game stop for five minutes? He was basically choosing between a third and two, I mean a fourth and two or a third and seven with the game on the line, so you could have made one play to end the game on fourth and two, or do you back them up and make the third and seven. I probably would have leaned forth in two, but I actually don't I don't have a hot take on that. I just don't understand. Why is why are they allowed to change their mind and go back and forth.
Speaker 4: It looked to me like he declined it, and then when the Browns sent their offense on the field like they were going to go for it, then he decided to accept it. Like he didn't want them, he wanted he wanted them to kick a field goal. He didn't think they could make the field goal. But once they said they were going for it, and it's like, okay, no, no, no, then I actually want to accept it. But that doesn't seem fair.
Speaker 2: That doesn't seem fair at all. And I actually think you're right, you you you got smarted me and maybe the rest of the audience. This is why we got bo Wolf. But Wolf. By the way, check out his PHO Y Eagles podcast with the Man Zach Berman, the best comedy duo with Zak as the straight man that is Zach mainly in an NFL podcast. So that decision wasn't crazy to me. But then Jamis hits an absolutely gorgeous throw there to Judy again again while he's getting hit by Ogan Jobi. There's a penalty on the Steelers after the play for delaying the game. Roger Sherman on Twitter believes that was intentional to put them inside the ten and try to shorten the game. And I think they let them. I think they let Nick Chubb score. I went back and watched those plays, and I know Nick Chubb got tackled, but I don't think they were really trying to tackle him. On the first play, they were just trying to knock the ball out, and then on the second play, I think they let him in to try to get the ball back. Do you think it's better to be down five in that scenario and try to score in the snow or see if you can get a block on the field goal or a FuMB bok. I actually think I might take my chances and just try to stop.
Speaker 4: Him, well, knowing it's the Browns and anything could happen, I might be in that way. I don't I don't know if I buy that they did that penalty from the fourteen on purpose, because it wasn't. It was a free snap. It's not like the coaches were calling it in. That's usually when you would see that happen. It would have taken unbelievable awareness for a rookie to do that, knowing that the ball was down on the fourteen right after it happened. I'm not sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to go there, but I do think I'm with you. Especially on the touchdown run. It seemed like they were they were like, okay, kid.
Speaker 2: It, yes, let's actually listen to that touchdown run. What a moment Nick Chubb. I know he hasn't been running great this year, but for him to be out there in the snow against the team who he was facing when he suffered that career changing injury and to have the game winning touchdown is awesome. Let's listen to Andrew.
Speaker 1: Shotgun from the two chump to back jamis the staff hit the chump, chump running chump touchdown.
Speaker 2: Nick Chubb did it.
Speaker 1: He stayed on his stat the Brown ticul the lya fifty seven seconds to go, have the Brown lead the Steelers twenty four to nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's Andrew getting it done. I love it, and we'll actually have Andrew on this TNF recap program the next time the Browns are in prime time. Because the Browns are always in prime time. They're just living in primetime the next four weeks. Bo and I was complaining about it on our very last show, and now I embrace it. Let's just get more Jamis. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about, you know, just the Browns fans and even you know, given the connection, like like the Browns family members, Like you're going to this game. This is a hopeless season. They're two and eight. You're sitting in this terrible weather and like what are we doing here? Why is this the way that I'm spending my life? And then you get this unbelievable game and then it looks like they've blown it and you're like, oh my god, likeugh, but then like they come back, they win this game, and just the beauty of that as a two and eight fan, like this is what it's all about. They got the one thing, the one positive memory they will probably have of this season.
Speaker 2: I think they are the best. I think they are the best fans. It's hard to just to just pick one. I think the Bills are in the mix, and I think the Lions are in the mix. I kind of lean on the old school teams who have been through a lot of heartache but haven't lost any of the passion and I and I think the Browns are the tops of those because it's ridiculous that that place was packed out. And I know there were some Steelers fans there, but it was mostly Browns and they were going crazy having the time of their lives. One of those fans there bo was our very own Nick Shook. We actually have a picture if you're watching on YouTube of that Nick took during the game. He has great seats right near the field, I think he I mean, and it's just a beautiful shot with the snow coming down. And that's what you know, That's what being a sports fan is all about. Who cares that the season was so bad? Tonight was magical regardless. Let's let's go back and talk about that drive where Jameis Winston finished it off with with the crazy play. Let's let's actually listen to Andrews call that We're just good. We're just gonna lean on Andrews' eleono this show thrashing the game to the right.
Speaker 1: Now Ford moshoes to the left, Winchton to throw fourth out, Winchin under pressure, trembling puck.
Speaker 2: Pink, He's gonna run. He jumps, touchdown.
Speaker 1: Jameis Witchton hot fourth.
Speaker 5: Downe bucks sixteen to six.
Speaker 1: They're gonna go for two in this snow here Jamus shotgun two point conversion, looking left, throwing Hi Nu Joku dot you come down with it, Yes, sir, he didn't.
Speaker 2: Drop this one.
Speaker 1: David Nijoku two point conversion. Brown's lead by twelve, eighteen to six.
Speaker 2: What a sequence there, So it's to set it up. Twelve minutes left in the game. They're up ten to six. Going into that, Nadjoku drops a great play call, wide open touchdown on third down, and he decides to go for it instead of going for the field goal. There, Kevin Stefanski's showing some stones, sewing some faith, and that play looked like it had nothing going on. And uh with Ryan Fitzpatrick, you know in the stadium for Amazon, that was a very Ryan Fitzpatrick jumping at the goal line helicopter touchdown, just like absolutely insane, going over the top to get the touchdown, and then in Djoku making a crazy catch that was magical and like the game was just warming up at.
Speaker 4: That point and just to guess up, Ceciliana, what a great call there to get the excitement while also slipping in the subtle dig and just for the drop like that's that's just high level stuff.
Speaker 2: It really was, and that's that's not Jamis's forte creating when things aren't going well necessary.
Speaker 4: You see him sort of like take a pause at the top of his drop there, he like he takes a little bit of a half look like, am.
Speaker 5: I about to get sacked?
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess I can sort of move and then and then he gets out of the pocket and he sees that he has that little alley.
Speaker 5: It's it was very fun.
Speaker 4: And that's what knocked out the little the little battery, which was very cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, on the two point conversion, they show after the play that the battery on his helmet kind of got knocked out while he got hit and then it's just it's just dangling in front of his eyes like a clock while he's making that play. It was fantastic. That's actually a good time to mention, like where's TJ Watt on any of these plays? You totally shut down Lamar Jackson. You don't let him out of the pocket. I went and looked twenty seven pass rushes tonight. One pressure was not a quick pressure. And all night they're like, oh, they're double teaming them like crazy, They're chipping them like crazy. I mean, don't I can't vouch for the next gen stats data being in one hundred percent accurate. They said he was double team three times. So Miles Garrett apparently went into this game annoyed about the TJ. Watt Miles Garrett comparisons. Miles Garrett had eight pressures, three sacks. Wat Right, TJ. Watt, Who's been a little quiet this year except for game changing plays, which is a big except for but like his pressure numbers haven't nearly been there. Quiet night, bad night for his candidacy a defensive player of the year, Bad night for Tomlin's coach of the year candidacy.
Speaker 5: That's true, and they did.
Speaker 4: On the third sack for Garrett, one of his teammates came in and did put the crown on his head. So I think, you know, means it's very fair to assume that there is uh like that that is a personal rivalry, that that that the teammates take on between those two guys, who's better. I'm giving you, I'm giving you a different thing for the dangle on Jameis Winston's Yes, I'm going anglerfish. This is this is a remnant of my you know, my son's former interest in in ocean animals.
Speaker 5: I'm going anglerfish there.
Speaker 2: I love that this is Bo is like Bo's a host. Actually doing the show with you both is making me feel my my shortcomings as a host because you would be peppering your people with questions. I just like say a strong, like an opinion, and then I just stopped talking and just wait for the.
Speaker 5: Next But I think it's fun. That's that's part of the conversation.
Speaker 2: It is fun, Like maybe we should have seen this game coming. Tomlin, there's this there was this crazy stat floating around that he hasn't won on the road on Thursday nights. Do you make anything of that? In terms of AFC North Thursday Night football, he was winless. I think he was zero to five or something like that. AFC North teams at home on Thursday Night Football are seventeen and two. So for whatever reason, it's very hard for this division. It's it's not a long trip, but there's something to it.
Speaker 4: I do think that there is something to and this Steelers team is different because they have won some games like handily right that they have not just been all one score games. But the notion that this is just a team that knows how to win these these tight games and that's their superpower, Like, I think it lays that to waste a little bit, that this team is better than that, they're not just reliant on winning one score games.
Speaker 5: But it's also tough.
Speaker 4: It's a tough loss for them in the sense that like this was the kind of game they like to play. It was sort of played on their terms, and they won the turnover battle three to one, and they still lost the game. Before before we went on, I was I was looking it up. In Tomlin's career, this is the first time in eighteen seasons in which he has lost two games in the season when the team won the turnover battle by by at least two.
Speaker 2: Every Tomlin stat is crazy though, too, because they've also won two games this year where they haven't scored a touchdown and they're actually the first team I was surprised by this. They're the first team to do that since the two bucks. It's hard to win games without scoring a touchdown, so it's a win. Two and one season is very hard. And there was a segment of this game where I thought they at least had a chance because they were down ten to six going into the fourth quarter they still hadn't scored a touchdown. I'm like, they're gonna do it again. They're gonna bang two more field goals in this game and wind up winning, and it didn't happen. Defense ultimately wasn't good enough, even though in the fourth quarter they they did force two turnovers. Or in the second half, they get the force fumble on Jamis and they get the interception on Jamis, but they give up the two drives. Okay, I thought after that Jamis sequence, like this is too perfect. Just end the game right now with the dangling battery, cause it's it's bound to go bad. And it did. They have that quick drive where Fields had the run. Like you mentioned, Fields ends up three for twenty six, but that was a thirty yard run. He had the fourth down fail earlier in the game, and that was a big difference in the game. The Browns went four for four on fourth down and the Steelers went one for three.
Speaker 4: Yes, two yeah, and they also missed a field goal, so that was they were batting short yardage in this game.
Speaker 2: That mattered for sure, right, and Russell Wilson made some mental mistakes, Like the first half was very Russell Wilson. We'll get into this retreated.
Speaker 5: It was very Russell go ahead.
Speaker 2: Right, and in the fourth quarter, so they get that drive where Jalen Warren gets the touchdown, they get the strip sack herbig has been awesome by the way, six pressures. He's great. And then immediately Russell Wilson gets back on the field and on the third play of that drive, you know they're in Browns territory. He comes up with a great throw to take the lead.
Speaker 5: Fall to twenty three yard line.
Speaker 1: Wilson gets the snap, Browns bringing five men, throws over the middle of the field, Calvin Austin touchdown, Pittsburgh Steelerskelvin Austin, you're a giant.
Speaker 2: Man, and what a giant rus Yes, please, well, I.
Speaker 4: Was struck by in the first half. All of all of Russell's big plays were coming on third and long and having covered Jim Schwartz in Philadelphia, you know I'm accustomed to, like the sticks defense that he used to do, which was like, we might get beat in front of us, but we're not going to get beat deep. And so as this game goes on, it played out. Russell Wilson in this game had five completions of twenty yards or more on third and long, so we're defining that third and six. That is the most of any quarterback in a game this season. And number two is Justin Herbert, who had four also against this Browns defense.
Speaker 2: Wow, that at shocking. And he does do that sticks thing still sometimes, but you're right, it must not be very often. I thought the whole.
Speaker 5: Cauld be getting beat deep in that situation.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, and I thought, like the whole key against russ just play deep safeties, like stay on the outside, stay in the corner, take away the middle. But that was a beautiful throat in the middle of the field. He had another chance to get one to Pickens earlier and they weren't on the same page. But actually the numbers according to next Gen he went ten for fourteen against split safety coverage for one hundred and sixty five yards and a touchdown. I think that was probably the touchdown there. And so Russell Wilson is so hard to figure because you look at the numbers.
Speaker 5: In some of those plants.
Speaker 4: He throws those slants so beautifully, like he stuck a couple in in really tight windows in this game. When he was throwing the ball for the most part, it looked good. But yes, it's the decision making that for a guy who is as experienced as he is, really makes you scratch your head.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a better version of what he was last year in Denver, where if you just looked at the stats, it was one thing, but if you watch the games and watch Sean Payton like losing his mind, it was another. Like Russell finishes twenty one for twenty eight for two hundred and seventy yards and a touchdo, which is great. In the first half he was he hit his first eleven passes for one hundred and forty seven yards and so that seems like you're having an awesome half. But he took three sacks. One killed the drive to make Boswell have to go for a fifty seven yarder, which was which rules another one. I was listening to the radio on the way back then I try to catch up on YouTube, and Mike Golick Senior did a nice job of pointing out on the third down on another sack where they did hit the field goal, he missed Calvin Austin wide open in the middle of the field. On the broadcast, I think, like, that's that's Wilson's mo o and Seattle. That's what drove everyone crazy, everything crazy. He never sees the middle of the field. And I went back and looked just to confirm it, and it was that. But he also had dimes tonight, like he threw the ball well down the field to pickens a couple times. He had a great throw on fourth and one the fourth down that they did pick up. Like he does enough good things that you forgive the sacks that he takes. He's just like a little maddening and never has really learned to be a game manager like that is like to manage different situations is not really his thing.
Speaker 4: And as we talked about it was it's so interesting that after he throws that beautiful touchdown pass to Calvin Austin to give them the lead the next drive, when they have a chance to salt away the game, that's when they pull him for Justin fields. It's so like I I'd love to love to get the truth here and with with Mike Tomlin about that.
Speaker 2: It is fascinating. A few more little things before we go. The play that might have really turned the game around was the penalty on Grant Delpit after he did one of my favorite unnecessary roughness or whatever that call was. Yeah, he instead of snatching someone's chain bow, he snatched the mouthpiece out. Is that new? I don't know if I've ever seen this mouthpiece snatch.
Speaker 5: And it's it's a little bit disturbing how easily it comes out.
Speaker 2: It really is. That really did change the game because he went from.
Speaker 4: Second and goal at the eight to first and goal at the three or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, at least at the eight, and that was after a faate. Like I just felt like they're not going to score once they get to the ten. If you've watched the Steelers this year, they never score once a get inside of ten. They can only score from the twenty out. I think they're thirtieth or thirty first in red zone offense. I think their last actually since Russell Wilson took over, and they just can never figure things out. Arthur Smith just it's not happening for them in the red zone and they went backwards on a Quarterrell Patterson run there, and I'm thinking, they're never going to get this done. And then George Pickens, who is maybe the number one instigator in the NFL now he makes everyone mad and he always gets in these wrestling matches. I love him. He is amazing.
Speaker 5: Did we see what happened at the end of the game. No they didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, and he almost was like he.
Speaker 4: Took he gone back with the fans that after the Hail Mary at the end of the game. By the way, we didn't talk about Russell Wilson just getting absolutely lit up on that hail.
Speaker 5: Mary by Jordan Hicks.
Speaker 4: I mean, he gets he just gets Planted's tough to watch.
Speaker 2: It was. He took a lot of tough hits. I mean, Russell Wilson is one of the toughest quarterbacks I've ever seen in my life. I always am amaze how he takes brutal hits and he never seems worse for wear. He never does the thing where like Jamis when he hit that Judy throw, he barely got touched, but he started crawling afterwards, and I'm like, oh, no, it's James hurt. But it's like, no, Javis is just having some fun trying to get a penalty. Like Russell Wilson's the opposite. He'll get blasted and he never shows it, Like that man is thick. That man, he's a tough man. Not that I need to tell him that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fair. Do you think what do you think moving forward?
Speaker 4: Do you think they're gonna do a little like dance with the two of them.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be more of this. I think it'll be mostly Russell Wilson, but I think they will use justin fields when they think appropriate, in the red zone or in short yards. The problem was it didn't really work tonight. The first play call that Fields was going to run, they had a penalty because the tight end moved. And then the second one had no chance. It wasn't Fields's fault, but it had no chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now on the other side, what do we think of the Kevin Stefanski of it all? Like all the talk coming in is like all the six of the last seven Browns head coaches have been fired after losses to the Steelers. Now they're three and eight, how do you feel about the Stefanski future.
Speaker 2: I love that year taking over here. You actually sent me some notes before the Cases was a game that you might want to talk. One of them was Stefanski trade. Tell me more about that. But obviously Kevin Stefanski being the first Browns coach to win back to back games against the Steelers since two thousand and one, they have not won back to back game. That's got to help. I think Jimmy Haslam, their owner, who used to be a part owner of the Steelers, and I believe used to be a Steelers fan. This means a little more to him, and I think beating the Steelers on national TV and seeing that they're a much better team. Frankly with Jamis Winston, they're not a good team, but they're a much better team with Jamis Winston. I think it's got to help Stefanski not mention the back to back, you know, not back to back but two time Coach of the Year winner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously we're not even talking about the Deshaun Watson of it all. That's the real the undercurrent here, that's that's their whole season. But this, this idea occurred to me because I was listening to Zach Jackson's podcast from The Athletic for you know, getting getting prepped for this game, and he was talking about they're probably not It wouldn't make sense to fire Stefanski mid season if that it was something they wanted to do, because there probably would be interest league wide in the trade. You know, we don't see a lot of trades, but we saw the Sean Payton trade. I think we saw the Bruce arians trade was the most recent one before that. I don't know if they would do that. I feel like you lose all your leverage if it's a guy you're just going to fire. But I think I think Stefanski would be a coach who would be like a relatively hot commodity giving the given the amount of openings there could be, and I was trying to think of what team might be willing to trade for him. The only one that that sort of made sense to me is Jacksonville, because that's an owner that is just trying desperately to figure it out somehow. They have like they've tried all of these different avenues, and I think you could maybe talk yourself into this as a guy who can who can help Trevor Lawrence, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Schefter threw it out there this week there could be up to nine head coaching hirings firings, and I was like, I thought that was a crazy number, and then I started writing down and we might do a segment on this soon. There are a lot it's very early. We have seven games left for a lot of these teams, and I think it's gonna be over five. I don't know. I think the beard alone that Stefanski has is worth a conditional seventh.
Speaker 4: I agree with that the beard is fantastic as as someone who's rocking a salt and pepper Now myself.
Speaker 2: I know we're both with fledged. I would say maybe fledgling beards mine. I think I'm actually gonna bring mine back. It's only been a couple of weeks here and I'm gonnaink. I'm gonna go back to this doubles soon. But that if I had a beard like that, I would I would walk around just with incredible confidence, the confidence of a Kevin Sefanski. He's always carried himself like a two time Coach of the Year winner.
Speaker 4: Lay not to not to reference an old trope on the show. But I do think it's a very nice zatty.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I I don't disagree. He's a handsome man. And I don't know if you would really have that much interest in the trademark. You don't think, I think no, I think for a coach to really have trade value.
Speaker 4: He's like for a seventh so like it could be something at that level, but it's such a weird thing to trade for a coach.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 2: I also thought they tried to make it somewhat illegal, but then the Sean Payton thing happened, and who knows. You also wrote down Jermaine Affetti you wanted to talk about Jermaine going to get here, who almost was.
Speaker 5: A real goat in this game.
Speaker 6: Give up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gave up the sack. That jamis Winston. It was not Winston's fault. By the way, I had someone respond to me on Blue Sky that like, like, oh, now Winston's being Winston. I'm like, they got that guy got there in a second and a half on the blind side that is not on the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you'd like to see him hold onto the ball, but the.
Speaker 2: Service but that was I mean not really in a second and a half.
Speaker 5: I mean they left the they let the guy go free, like yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna kill him for that, and Fetti had a big penalty earlier. That was that was the one that that Winston made up. Wait, what is your Affetti?
Speaker 4: I mean it's a very silly thing, but but he holds a special place in the Birds with Friends a verse is what I will call it, which is which dates back to when Sheil Capatia was the Seahawks reporter for ESPN and they did the pre draft like NFL Nation mock draft. It's very funny, like the prediction of who the pick is going to be, and Siel says like, I think that the Seahawks are gonna draft JERMAINEA. Fetti for whatever reason, whatever reason, and then they flashed to the panel and Bill Pullion comes on and just crushes it, crushes Shiel everything he stands for, crushes are Fatti.
Speaker 5: There's no way this is going to be the pick. And then he becomes the pick.
Speaker 4: So that makes that he's the entry to why why Bill Pollion has been a future player for us for many years?
Speaker 2: That is hilarious Bill Pollian, Like, uh, don't you have a team to consult with to give them a totally terrible head coaching higher It's like, when will we stop letting Bill Polly and consult on coaching hires of guys that were good like fifteen years ago. It never works. So that not that I'm annoyed still about Bill Pollion changing the defensive holding.
Speaker 5: You're on the right side of history here, Yeah, I really am.
Speaker 2: I I love the garbage cans being banged that at like the snow and al and the garbage cans. Y. This was one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: That was totally fine. That gave that gave some color to the game. That was totally fine with that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was. It was the best performance by a fan group in the entire season. Like the the big Men. There's large men.
Speaker 5: Big men.
Speaker 2: You were gonna say, Christy, Yeah I was, and then I decided to not say it, but you said it for me. Yeah. My son Walker, we were watching the game together and he's just like, why is everyone so fat in Cleveland. It's like, yeah, well that's a that's a kid just being honest.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a that's a very la opinion.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were big, they were big guys.
Speaker 4: I do like I will say, I prefer I like the overalls, nothing underneath look for those guys as opposed to the guys who just went straight no shirt.
Speaker 2: I agree with you that that's a better look. And look, it's easier to survive out there in in sub freezing snow conditions if you've got you know, if you've got a big belly.
Speaker 5: Got it's like a body walrus.
Speaker 2: They Yeah, before we wrap up, let's let's go back just quickly to before the game. And it's one of it's one of the reasons we love Jamis. It's it's not just the game, it's the it's the just the full Jamis of it all. This was him talking before the game. Weather conditions tonight.
Speaker 3: We're expecting wins up to fifteen miles per hour in a wintery mix.
Speaker 2: How will that impact your ability to throw the ball.
Speaker 7: I'm so happy and grateful that the Lord has asked me to play in some snow, to be in true football weather in Cleveland, Ohio at Huntington bank Field today to get him the glory.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful day.
Speaker 5: I have seen that there right.
Speaker 2: I love that. I had not seen that, and it was perfect because it was barely snowing at that point, and by the end he got the snow game of his dreams, the first time he said he ever played in the snow in his entire life.
Speaker 4: Also, I mean, what a what a company man to make sure that he says Huntington Bank and gets the official name of the stadium in there. I could not have told you that was the name of the stadium.
Speaker 2: I honestly, that is the first time I've ever heard that that's hunting.
Speaker 4: It would be very funny if it wasn't, right, is it? Like, do we know that Jamis just made that up? That'd be great.
Speaker 2: It could be a fictional bank and I wouldn't be surprised before I let you go bo just quickly. I wanted to give the Steelers schedule this this was a big loss. Uh, They're they're at eight and three now. Their upcoming schedule at Cincinnati home for the Browns, at your Eagles, at the Ravens home for the Chiefs, and then home for the Bengals. That is that's a tough road. Let's say you split with the Bengals. You know it's a good team. Let's just say we you split. Let's say you beat the Browns. You don't get swept by the Browns. Okay, that's that's two and one, So.
Speaker 5: You get one of the next those three.
Speaker 2: But if you get one of the other three, I would say that's fine. At Philly, at Baltimore, Casey, that's three and three. And this this loss really looms large and kind of opens the door for the Ravens to come win this division.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although I you know, I'm not necessarily sure that I'm I'm counting the Mike Tomon of it all out. Maybe they could steal they could steal two of those three. But yeah, I think I think, you know, the numbers would tell us, the eye test would tell us that on over a seventeen game span that the Ravens are probably a better team. So they have certainly opened the door for them to come in.
Speaker 2: Not a great Tomlin game. Some game management stuff at the end of the first half, similar at the end of the second half. But I'll forgive it just for those clumps of snow.
Speaker 4: The Tomin experience is not about the the the micro of the in game decision making, right. It's about getting guys to play as hard as they can.
Speaker 2: It's about the vibes and so are you. Like I said, check out Bo Wolf give you. I'm just gonna say it, the best team team podcasts out there, phl Y Eagles. And you're holding up the Michael Dunn jersey. Explain why that was because you had a great stat when he was on the field in the first half.
Speaker 4: Three snaps, they hadn't had a first down the entire game. Three snaps, two first downs and a touchdown.
Speaker 2: And he's connected because he is he's married to your former or current producer.
Speaker 4: Who's still at the athletic does fantastic work. She's a complete badass. And following the Michael Dunn story for the past however many years, has been has been a real pleasure.
Speaker 2: Uh bo wol If you are complete badass too, and that this isn't even the whole podcast. If I was a better host, I just got over zealous and over excited. But if you read the Team of the Year before listening to this, you would know that we also have an interview as part of this podcast. I've been talking about it earlier in the week. We're gonna hear from Anthony Weaver, the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins, Jordan rod Rieg joins me for this conversation. It was a really good talk with an up and coming coordinator, probably a future NFL head coach. He's got a tough matchup this week against Drake May, but I didn't hold that against him.
Speaker 4: For the real, for the real Jordan Rodrigue heads. We had her on our show today talking about the Rams Eagles game and the Eagles front office.
Speaker 5: If you really need more Jordan than your life, you have an.
Speaker 2: Extra we all do. Look at look at that pro getting the plug in at the very last second. So we'll take a quick break and we'll listen to Anthony Weaver on the other end. All right, I'm very excited for our guests this week, a little different on NFL Daily here with Jordan Rodrigue of course, and welcoming in Anthony Weaver, the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins with a very cool looking logo backdrop. There, you did it upright on your zoom, Anthony, Thanks, Yeah, I did it all myself.
Speaker 3: He drew the dolphin, you know, he programmed everything, installed the LED lighting. You know, I wouldn't be surprised based on the job you're doing over there. Covering every no stone is unturned over there. It seems like with your group this year, Anthony, Oh, you guys are.
Speaker 8: Too kind, having incredible players who are going on giving maximum effort.
Speaker 6: Man, which is it all gives you a chance?
Speaker 2: Okay, so now we're going to really really hard with like the hard hitting and no no. I was thinking about you because I remember you as a player you happen to be and I think it was about the second or third year of your career when I started my career covering the league. I remember you for those Ravens teams and the Texans, and I was thinking, I've seen that you've gotten a game ball as a coach as a defensive coordinator, Like, tell me about the different satisfaction level maybe, which is different better whatever, between getting a game ball as a player and now you're you're doing it as a coordinator.
Speaker 8: I think getting the game ball as a player exactly much easier than trying as a cover, right, because ultimately, as a player, like you're just responsible for the for the one person yourself, Yeah, and you do everything you can to try to perfectly the week and prepare yourself to go out there and make plays when they present themselves well as a coach now, like you go through all those same processes and now you're doing it for third something on people. Oh, when those guys go out there and obviously play the way they did, it's rewarding to get a game ball, but it's more it's more satisfying just to see those guys have the success because of some of the work, just some of the work.
Speaker 3: That you've put for And you know, I think I want to go a little deeper on that too, Anthony, because you're managing so many different types of people. You're reaching so many personalities. Like I covered Jalen Ramsey for example in Los Angeles, and he just absolutely is a rising tide that can lift all boats and such a unique individual. But you're also you know, you've got Kalas Campbell thirty eight years old and still doing the dang thing, and you've got just a bunch of players who are trying to show up and make plays for you, and a lot of moving parts. So how have you been your first year in this role? How have you reached such a dynamic range of personalities and what communication levels and layers differentiate when you're trying to for example, install something with a very experienced players such as those two I mentioned, but then also install something maybe complex with younger players, rookies, guys who are really trying to show up on the tape for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, to answer the first part of your question, I think my ability to kind of communicate and talk with a bunch of different type of people, I think it's truly a product of just the way I grew up.
Speaker 6: I'm a very proud arm bred.
Speaker 8: My dad was in the Army for twenty one twenty two years, and my mother actually surved for two as well, so we moved like every four years, and that kind of forced you to learn how to talk to people and kind of had you couldn't be shy, and I think naturally, by nature I was a shy kid, but I knew that I couldn't be that way otherwise I really was gonna have many friends. So that moving around and kind of learning to kind of be personal and how to talk to people and develop relationships is absolutely benefited me in my coaching career in terms of just installing and trying to talk to just the different players, you know, at whatever stage of the career that a're in. I think the one thing you never want to do as a coach is assume and take anything for granted, because I would tell the guys all the time either either growing or you're dying. So you try to make sure you hit the elementary things absolutely, and you just want to make sure you hit every detail with the guys constantly, because there might be one day where if it may sit there like, oh, I've heard this a million times and there's something you said differently, and now now it clicks different and that's the difference between making a play or just missing a play. So constantly talking to guys like you can't assume anything right, cross every t, dot every eye, and let's make sure we leave no stone in turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I heard one of your players, Anthony Walker, describe the defense as complicated for them talking about the opponent and simple for us, which I loved as a writer, like that is concise, Like that is one of those frames is you could put up on the walls in Miami or whatever you always see had hard knocks with the motivational phrases that that's good. Complicated for them, simple for us. What does that mean to you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the goal, that's ultimately the goal. Right.
Speaker 8: I actually learned it from Rex Ryan. His philosophy was the kill philosophy. Right, people just have kiss which keep it simple. Stupid, Well, we don't. We don't think anybody is stupid. So we apply to kill flock.
Speaker 6: Which.
Speaker 8: People just learn a variety of different ways. Right, You just gotta just gotta figure it.
Speaker 2: Out every once in a while. Though there's kind of a dummy. Though it's human nature.
Speaker 6: You won't hear that from me.
Speaker 8: So k I L L.
Speaker 3: What does it mean and how do you apply it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it means keep it likable and learnable. So the one thing first and foremost when when guys walk into that meeting room made I want them to want to be there. I don't want them to dread coming to meetings. We've all had those jobs, we've all been in those those classes.
Speaker 6: Go back to college where you had to go into the.
Speaker 8: Class and we're like, oh God, I gotta I listen to his teacher again. That's that's the first thing I want to get rid of. I want guys to be excited walking into building. And then we try to do anything possible to make sure the information that we give him is very digestible. So we try to be bold, brilliant and brief, right because because the attention spans for some of these guys nowadays, particularly in the iPhone age, like you just you can't sit up there and lecture. Oh, try very hard to make create an environment that guys want to be in. And then when we do present the information, we find a number of ways to try to give it to them so it retains and it hits them in the right way.
Speaker 3: But how do you do that? You know, I spoke with I know he won't mind me sharing this. When I spoke with Mike McDaniel right after he hired you, he said a he wanted somebody who could make the complex simple for players and communicate effectively and as a teacher and a teaching mindset, someone who could reach players who players wouldn't feel on guard or that could really be open with you. But also somebody who is going to be installing and evolving what's coming next in defense in this league. And you have to walk that line in your role because you're always trying to look around the corner and evolve into what's next while teaching something from the ground up. So what does that look like for you personally, and how do you keep pushing this system, the scheme, this philosophy forward while game planning week to week and also making sure no player is left behind with what the baseline of the information is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I think that starts way back prior to training campany each spring, when we install, we try to install concepts. Right, So once you learn a curl flat drop, we try to teach everybody a curl flat drop, and vice versa for a number of different things. We don't just say, hey, this is cover three, this is what it is, and then we just kind of mix and match the people around, you know, manipulate coverages by half field and play with where you can and they and the beauty and we have we have some guys with some pretty high football intelligence and football IQ, so we can kind of move people around seamlessly. And it goes back to what Walk said, where we can we can do things that look complexity the offense but are very simple for us.
Speaker 6: The other thing is just schematically.
Speaker 8: In terms of like coverages and blitzes and coverage variation and things.
Speaker 6: Of that nature. We do a lot. Okay, we do.
Speaker 8: Now we found a way in teaching and teaching that where again it's simple for our guys because we teach so so much part to hold right and then just in terms of trying to stay ahead of the trends because of that, like we go on to the game plan with a very concise menu.
Speaker 6: But because we've put.
Speaker 8: So much on tape, when you're an offense and you're studying us, you're like, oh, what are we going to see? Like they do this, they do that, We're not doing that every week, right, we try to pare it down obviously by the opponent.
Speaker 3: By the opponent, and because you're understanding why offenses will try to attack certain parts of the field and try to manipulate space. But you're teach players why they're doing the things that they're doing and why you're uploading this concept before you start to build pieces around. Do you find players to be empowered by that? I think a lot of players want to know why in this age of belief.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's the old you know, the build Belichickianism. Right, you can you can teach a player how, but but it truly becomes powerful and they know the why behind it.
Speaker 6: And we're we're always trying to preach that because.
Speaker 8: Obviously, like as coaches, you can see things one way, but they're the ones out there who are playing the game. So I think as long as they understand big pictures schematically what everybody around them is doing, that's going to enable them to decide when they can and can't take chances.
Speaker 6: Right, they can take some some educated guesses.
Speaker 2: I'm taking notes here, bold, brilliant, and brief, Like that's gonna go up better. I was like, we're trying for the bold and the brilliant brief. I think both.
Speaker 3: I I struggle with the brief.
Speaker 2: We could both work on a little bit.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 2: I always been fascinated by, you know, players that made it to the NFL that want to be coaches because you know how a coaching lifestyle is in the in the NFL, And I guess maybe it's your background moving around it as as a kid too, like that gets you somewhat prepared, but knowing what coaches put into it, it feels like that's a special level of football sicco that wants to go from a good playing career to a coaching cared Did you know you wanted to do that while you were playing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I gotta be honest, I absolutely did not right.
Speaker 8: Right again, I grew up with with Rex Ryan, with my position coach when I first got in the league, and I would just hear nightmare stories about him sleeping in office Monday and Tuesday.
Speaker 6: I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 8: I'm like Rex, like, it's just a I'm going to get a reach block and down block a double team, Like you were in the office that long for that.
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 8: But along the way, as I started age, I was in Houston and I was with some young players, right young Mario Williams, Amobia Koy who was a heck of a player, but it was like fifty came out playing in the league. So I kind of found myself in that coaching mentor role towards the end of my career, and I think that's when the light started to come on a little bit where he's like, you know what, maybe maybe I can do this and just has some coaches along the way who I mean going back to my high school coach with Blazerana, who were just tremendous influences and thought I could serve and help players in that manner to a game that's been incredibly.
Speaker 6: Good to me.
Speaker 3: It seems like. I mean, we could see it on your face as you talked to us. How important that last part in particular is knowing what worked not just for you, but all the guys you know you're going to battle with every week, and knowing what was important to them, what mattered to them, some of those principles. You must self talk a lot, reminding yourself those types of things what worked for you as a player, and carrying them forward into how you run your ecosystem today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 8: I was cairly fortunate where I was around a bunch of coaches who I felt were in it for the right reasons right there.
Speaker 6: There was no selfish intent.
Speaker 8: They all worked in service and they were just ultimately trying trying to get us better so that we can maximize our God given ability in it. And I try very much to do the same thing right selfishly, I'd love to win a Super Bowl, but everything else, man, I'm just trying to pour into these guys so that they can realize every one of their dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the players that was in the league for a long was in the league when you were in it. Is that possible?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. It was Kalais Campbell, who you're now coaching, who's actually not that much younger than you. What, I'm always shocked just from the outside that he sits out there in free agency every year and then he just gets a one year contract Inlook, he's compensated very well, but compared to other players, younger players that are out there every year, he's one of the best. Like bargains out there. He comes into a team and he he he change that team and he's still playing at a ridiculously high level. Seeing him and Zack Seeler out there together, to me, is part of your secret Sauce certainly was a big part of that that rams win that you had. I just I don't know, tell me something about coaching Kalais Cambellon what that's been like.
Speaker 6: Oh man, what an absolute joy?
Speaker 8: Right that guy you talk about, the guy who's the same guy every day, a consummate professional, just just your He's a force multiplier. There isn't a person he interacts with who isn't better as a result of that interaction. So one of those things when when I got the job, you know, you try, you try to talk about the type of player you want by position and we're talking about the big end spot and I'm like, I'm telling Chris and Mike and I'm like, listen, Las Campbell's out there, and like, oh, they're like, coach, He's he's.
Speaker 6: Thirty eight years old. Thirty eight years.
Speaker 8: Old, he's you know, I'm like, I get it, I understand that, but just just watch the tape.
Speaker 6: He's certainly bill play at a high level.
Speaker 8: And what you can't get people to understand that haven't been around him is just how he makes everyone in the building.
Speaker 6: Better, not just on defense but on offense with the.
Speaker 8: Coaching staff, Like he is just positively reinforcing everything you're trying to get done as a coach because he has exact he has the same goals at this point of career, Like there's nothing he has in accomplished. He's Man of the Year, Pro Bowls, right, all Pros, all of those things, and he's chasing one thing and that's winning in Super Bowl. So he's doing everything within his power to try to make that happen. And obviously he makes life incredibly easy for me as a ball coach too.
Speaker 3: I love that My first job I was running, I was interning for the Arizona Cardinals running quotes, and he always took me aside in the locker room. We would never remember this now and say do you need anything? Are you okay? And now to see him, he's just the exact same with and that was. You know, I don't want to age myself with the I'm definitely younger than both of you and kalays just to throw that out there. One thing. I know we're being so you know, greedy with your time. I know we got to go, but I did want to ask you because you know, this league is so driven by quarterbacks, and as a defensive coordinator, you have to have this innate understanding of quarterbacks and how to attack them on your side, especially as that position evolves and changes and you see a new wave of really young guys and then you see Matthew Stafford and you have to figure out how to confuse the heck out of him with some of the coverage and sims that you were running in that game. How do you walk that line between you know, strategizing toward the next wave and then that all out preparation of a game plan against a guy who's seen it all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you love it, right, you love it, You love the challenges week to week, just just based on who that guy is. I mean a guy like Matthew Stafford will face Aaron Rodgers here in a few weeks. There isn't there isn't a pressure disguise that they haven't seen. So you're constantly just trying to put some in decision in their heads, and a majority of the time that's going to be with your rush right and trying to get people at their feet because they are a little bit up there in age, these young younger guys, I tell you what they run around.
Speaker 6: It's the play after the play.
Speaker 8: Most of the time when somebody these younger guys, you try to do everything you can take away their first, hopefully their second read. But when that breaks down, you don't know what's going to happen after that, and then you just hold your breath and hope somebody on defense makes a phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got an interest you one this week. Drake may like, what are you seeing? What are you seeing there on tape?
Speaker 8: I think you see just that you see a young player who's certainly developing confidence in his ability. He's certainly still trying to figure out the coverage just variation of the league. But he has all the talent in the world, and at any point in time, he can pull the ball down and chew you up for rushing yards for about twenty five thirty yards.
Speaker 6: So we always got to be cognist of that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to own my biases. I grew up in Massachusetts, and so you know.
Speaker 3: He tells me before the show, he was like, I have to ask him to.
Speaker 2: See it could be an It's always been a fun rivalry Dolphins Patriots. You're you're now part of it, at least for a couple of games this year. I know you had had coaching interview last year, so who knows how long you'll be in Miami, but obviously doing a great job with the Dolphins. And we appreciate your time, Anthony. Thanks for it.
Speaker 6: Thanks guys, I appreciate you having me all all right.
Speaker 2: That was Anthony Weaver. That was awesome, Jordan.
Speaker 3: I love talking to him. He's great, what a what a great personality, great football mind. You had to get your Drake made question, which I loved.
Speaker 2: I know I wanted it almost to be a little more pointed, like heh what you worried it's kind of like an older secondary you got there, No.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We you need to put his slogan up back clean this young buck in the open field, you think so, Jalen Ramsey would be very much up up for that.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's probably just got a picture of him in his locker upcoming for that game.
Speaker 2: Just you know that would be outstanding. Yes, and if yeah, if you get a chance to see it on YouTube, just the smile, like the vibe, you can't you can get a little bit of a vibe from someone in only fifteen minutes. Why they do those combined interviews with all the draft prospects so you can see him as the type of person. And he's already now had head coaching interviews. He had one with the Falcons last year in DC interviews that I'll be just kind of watching where it goes. You could see him impressing an owner in that setting. And we're seeing kind of a trend. Not to get too off topic here, but if you look at who's leading the divisions right now, the coaches, it's a lot of not an offense guy. It's a lot of running the culture sort of guy, or a defensive guy, you know, making the culture versus just like offensive play callers. So yeah, a lot of different ways to get it.
Speaker 3: Guys who played, Guys who can kind of get it inside the head of the player and sort of maximize potential. Certainly a shift from what was the sort of the dynamic there last year. Although it's working out in Philly for everyone, so it's kind of a win win win.
Speaker 2: People are going to look at the lines and like, oh, so, how did they do it? And that that was a coach. I think it was more about building the culture and studying the tone, be able to reach play. Yeah, not just like calling plays. That was and they weaver that was a great week. You've obviously time traveled from Tuesday into this show. Appreciate everyone listening. We will be back on Friday with our PIC show. Cynthia Freelan, I don't know if you've heard people talking about this, Jordan, The PIC show is hot right now. I like, so, I hear the picks are hot, the analysis are hot. Both Cynthia and I are on fire for right now. And yes, when we're talking to a member of the two thousand and six Kubiak Texans, you know football is back.