Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, Season five, Episode twenty two, House is Not a Home, brought to you by one of them productions, iHeart Radio, joined by my intrapid crew, Amy Sugarman, the Queen Bee two.
Speaker 4: You just said, he said, Episode twenty.
Speaker 1: I diad it's the fiend. Now it's fiend.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Danielle Romo Tarras sued, Hello ladies. Uh I. For me, this episode was an absolute earthquake. I mean it was fissures, fissures, there was, there was sinkholes, there was. It was like wow, wow wow.
Speaker 3: It was equal parts amazing and upsetting.
Speaker 1: Hyeh mm hmm. Not a perfect episode, but I would say pretty much a perfect episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Entertaining it all get out as they.
Speaker 3: Say, and a cliffhanger of cliffhangers for a season finales at.
Speaker 1: That moment at the end between mother and daughter watching you.
Speaker 4: Run brutal at the moment for me ripped my heart out.
Speaker 1: That was the biggest beat in uh story, beat in Gilmour thus far.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Man didn't need any dialogue.
Speaker 3: Oh but I love we'll get to it, but we'll get to it, but I love the final scene.
Speaker 5: It's just been so hard for people to wait like four months to keep watching.
Speaker 3: Isn't that the Yes, it's so different now because like we binge things right like we're doing so we get to watch it right away.
Speaker 4: But I was thinking about this too.
Speaker 3: They only had to wait four months think about like sex and the city and just like that just ended.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be like a year like euphoria. People have like two years. Well did you see Euphoria?
Speaker 5: They said twenty twenty five, and that was before the strike.
Speaker 4: It's like, that's.
Speaker 3: What's crazy, Like four months isn't actually year three?
Speaker 1: Actually three, not four. We had nine months of shooting and then three months off was like going to high school.
Speaker 3: So it ended in May, June, July, August, and it came back in September, right, so three months, you're right, thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you, thank you. So I mean, Danielle, let's rock and roll, let's synopsize, let's just get let's just let's just jump on the horse and get going.
Speaker 6: Okay, So this is season five, episode twenty two. A house is not a home air date May seventeenth, two thousand and five, and Lorelai comes to the rescue after an out of character decision, lands Rory in jail. Luke bears that Lorlai may sell the Dragonfly. Rory, still reeling from the blow that Mitcham delivered, completely rethinks her future At Yale, Lane's band gets an unlikely booster and bikers descend on stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a heck of a great way to start an episode. And I love that tank And I'm sorry, but I don't know who that other fella is.
Speaker 4: No, it's who is Oh my god, we have to have to Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We're terrific. And it was.
Speaker 4: All parts was his name, calling it Finn. Sorry it's Finn. Yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: It's but.
Speaker 1: Just terrific. And they provide, you know, when it got heavy, there was always something to lighten it up. You know, there was a Colin and Finn. There's a tailor, there's a Sean gun. They know how to sprinkle in the yes, the fun.
Speaker 4: I thought Colin and Finn were so.
Speaker 3: Like needed in that scene because it was so like, oh man, and it was so sad and heavy, and then they're just hilarious, and it's one of the most iconic lines because people love to do My.
Speaker 4: God, those are good.
Speaker 3: When they're like, realize, that's the moment.
Speaker 4: And then they bowed down to her and she smiled.
Speaker 1: She liked it.
Speaker 4: I thought that was such a great that you noticed that too.
Speaker 3: It's like she's like stop it and smiling at the same time, so you sort of realize, like, she's not totally devastated by this m.
Speaker 1: But yet again, she is maybe not by the fun she had, because there's nothing more fun than stealing it out and getting busted doing a little bit of time and a cell, knowing that it was darn worth it, that you just extended yourself in the right way as a youth or as a ute.
Speaker 4: And it's it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I can't wait till we dig into it in this conversation because Rory could have gone a different way as a result of this than she does, and I sort of wish she maybe would have gone that way.
Speaker 4: But well, we'll talk. Well, I love that she's in the Is she in the system? Is she in the system? Now?
Speaker 1: What's it mean in the SYSTEMA?
Speaker 4: I know we'll talk about it in pop culture.
Speaker 3: But Sipowitz is from NYPD blue or anyone doesn't know.
Speaker 4: So she's fully taking TV references.
Speaker 3: Like, man, is she in the stuff? Oh, s'll up here, She's got a pta.
Speaker 4: Oh she'll up here.
Speaker 1: She I promise she might even be there before you get there. Well, I'm not going to be there.
Speaker 3: And I love that the boys were like maxim Our, Maxwell Smart has found his ninety nine.
Speaker 4: It's just like my boyhood crushed.
Speaker 1: Barbara Feldon, Oh it just was crazy about her. Yeah, you know good five or six or whatever.
Speaker 2: I must.
Speaker 4: Rory comes out with her like envelope with her stuff in it.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh my god, I just really went to the slammer and Laura lies like is there anyone else in there?
Speaker 5: It's say, yeah, it was a slow night.
Speaker 4: And the boys were like it's vintage, and like Laura La you can tell just wants to like.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, it's like Colin and Finn, I'm in down down here to get grab logan like once a month.
Speaker 6: Like that's how they acted.
Speaker 1: Like it was how much trouble did you guys get into in high school? Did it get to like the police station hero None that's a lie.
Speaker 4: I'll admit something. I'll admit it.
Speaker 3: Admitt One time I had this big SUV and it knocked over someone's scooter and the.
Speaker 4: Guy I had in the car said, it's fine. I picked it up, it's fine.
Speaker 3: So I was just like, okay, it's fine, like I'm not going to worry about it.
Speaker 4: Drove away.
Speaker 3: Well, the scooter wasn't fine, so I got called down to the Loafiette Police station and then luckily I was.
Speaker 4: I had never been in trouble, and I was just like I trusted this guy.
Speaker 3: He said it was fine, like, you know, I'll pay for this whatever. Luckily I had parents that would pay for the scooter. But yeah, I did make a trip down to the Lafayette Police station.
Speaker 4: But it was fine. Wait, I'm thinking of like a tiny scooter. What kind of scooter was It was like.
Speaker 3: A tiny scooter, not not like a razor, like.
Speaker 1: A scooter that on and has a motor, like a motor.
Speaker 5: Electric, like an electric one.
Speaker 4: Like a semi Vespa type thing. Got it And I just totally didn't know.
Speaker 3: I mean I maybe kind of knew, but I was like, oh, it seems okay. I didn't get out and look it.
Speaker 1: Was By the time when I was thirteen fourteen, I'd been to court and I'd been to jail. Were you bad? I was good? I was very very good. I was very good.
Speaker 4: Not bad doesn't sound like it. What did you do? Did you Was it okay? Here's the ones I always say. Was it petty theft?
Speaker 1: Did you feel like?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: When I was twelve, my friends and I on a Friday night went out and it was a busy in our town. In our small town, they had police cone set up in the middle of the street divert traffic.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We were running in and we were slaloming the cones. We were arrested. We were taken into the Haddenfield Police station. We were put in a cell. It was myself and my friend Tommy Poetrous, and I believe there was one other guy with us who I won't mention his name. The police officer and we were saying, please don't call our parents. We'll just stay here. We'll stay here for a couple hours, then you'll let us go home, but don't call our parents. Please don't do it, so the officer. So, after about a half an hour, some officer walks in with a golf club. The approaches, he opens it. He's got a like a seven iron, right, And my idiot friend Tommy says, because he wasn't scared. And I was like, oh man, we're going to get leathered by this cop. And there were trying to scare us. Mind you know, they didn't want good kids to go bad, so they were just trying to scare us. And uh and Tommy said, he looked at me, he goes, oh, good golf lessons, And I said, you eat, They're gonna beat the crap out of us. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they obviously called your parents.
Speaker 1: They obviously called the parents the next The next night, I was supposed to go see a band called Crystal Mansion, and my dad took the tickets away from me. As he did because I was honestly, I told him. I told him about the incident, not knowing that the cops had already told me that.
Speaker 4: They had called.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: That was good, though, Yeah, set me straight, you spent.
Speaker 5: Nope, I was a little good in high school.
Speaker 4: I was too.
Speaker 7: The closest I got to is I had a bake id and I tried you, I tried using it, and they were like, and I was like trying to convince them that it was real, and they're like, okay, ma'am, if this is real, you would have no problems getting this from the police station later today.
Speaker 4: And I was like, no, thank you about.
Speaker 6: The closest I got.
Speaker 3: I'm like the most hardened criminal ear with my like I hit the scooter and didn't leave the note. I still feel bad about that, but it all worked. I should let it go. We should let it go. Let it go that you slalomed the cones.
Speaker 1: I can't get over.
Speaker 4: Neither of us are in the system life.
Speaker 1: It was. It was like I got hunts burgered or something, you know, I just gave up.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So there you go anyway?
Speaker 3: Or Rory, she's she's got a real that's like a that potentially is a felony.
Speaker 4: They stole a young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like lawyers are all over it. Richard's getting his.
Speaker 4: Lawyer all over yeah.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 4: But Grand theft yacht?
Speaker 1: You know, do you think they'd ever steal Jeff Bezos's yat Grand Grand. That would be great, that would be Grand theft yacht.
Speaker 3: Right, that's Grand theft Princess cruises, right, doesn't his.
Speaker 1: Do you think the the thieves would hold the the wooden the naked wooden depiction of his love hostage.
Speaker 3: Wait, I have a question those sidebar, who's been on a yacht here?
Speaker 1: I have? I have? I have.
Speaker 3: Like the horn blower or like someone who's.
Speaker 5: I've been on one that someone like rented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cabin cruiser.
Speaker 4: I've been on.
Speaker 3: A famous person's yacht which I can name Griffin's, and it was amazing. I'm not gonna lie. It was so rab, one of the most awesome things I've ever done. But I've never been on a cruise. I've never been on like a carnival cruise or a.
Speaker 4: And then I have once you hadn't.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't consider a cruise a yacht though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I've been on a yacht. And we had a sailboat growing up my grandparent.
Speaker 4: You could sleep on it. You could sleep on it.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't what I call it so great.
Speaker 5: Wait, Amy was the boat? Was the yacht?
Speaker 1: Doctor?
Speaker 4: Did it?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Go out?
Speaker 3: We did it so, Brian and I, Ryan Seacrest and I went on it for a week. We had to go to do a game show in Seattle with merv Griffin, and I think we went to a party on the yacht, a dinner on the yacht, and.
Speaker 4: Then we took the yacht.
Speaker 3: I love saying yacht from like Seattle to this island from would you like.
Speaker 1: To say my yacht? Our our yachts or our yachts are more all over the Mediterranean.
Speaker 3: M I don't think I would buy a yacht because I actually think I get seasick. I think at the time I didn't, but I think now from my older age, well.
Speaker 5: Isn't it also like so expensive to maintain and like where you dock it, and like there's all.
Speaker 3: They say for the gas, a lot of this, Like it's crazy. Here's what I will say though, for everyone listening, I don't know what. I have a boat that's over twenty some odd years old. It's a little ski boat, but it works as well today.
Speaker 4: Knock on the over we got it so like you can keep them from you.
Speaker 1: Will invite us up there, you having a whole shin dig up there. You got yachts and you've got ski boats, everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't have a yacht or a sailboat anymore. I don't have a sailboat. But I do have a tiny ski boat.
Speaker 5: How many fit on it?
Speaker 1: You know it's like five or six people?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could probably fit seven.
Speaker 3: You can't sleep on it, just a little ski boat, but you can, like seven people can go on it.
Speaker 1: Man, that's fantastic, and I enition. I am all in skiboat competitions.
Speaker 4: If I named the boat I am, that would be so rare. It totally works.
Speaker 3: Before we start digging in, shout out to anybody who's totally listening. Did anybody read the comments this week that they want to start a drinking game?
Speaker 4: For how many times?
Speaker 5: I say totally? Yeah, we're at like three right now.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 4: And I am here for it.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, sorry, I say totally, but I do so.
Speaker 1: I just got back from Indiana. Wait, how was that fan fantastic? Do you know how much people love this podcast? They love it. They love it.
Speaker 4: I think they love Gilmore.
Speaker 1: No, but they love they love the ball club here, they love the crew, they love the conversations, they love that show. They love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they tolerate us. They love you, and they love Gilmore girls. So they're like, I'll tolerate them because I get good.
Speaker 1: Indianapolis is a is a an incredibly great place. Wonderful airport are wonderful steak places. Oh really, the airport is top notch, international, brand new, massive, organized.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 5: It matters these days.
Speaker 4: Were you the only Gilmore girls?
Speaker 1: Now Sean Gunn was there in the next booth, and then Michael Rooker from Guardian's Fame and.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you got You and Michael Rooker are always at the well together.
Speaker 1: You know that Rooker and I. It's it's like, it's it's it's it's it's explosive when Rooker and I are together.
Speaker 3: He's from Walking Dead, That's what I mean. He's from a million, the.
Speaker 1: Most awesome guy.
Speaker 4: What other celebrities were the.
Speaker 1: Gosh who was there?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: There was some Power Rangers, Yeah, there was some Power Rangers. There was a couple. There was a Walking Dead dude, I forget his name. Uh he was alive and.
Speaker 4: Uh Norman, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: No, Danielle, he is way too like working on some new Walking Dead killing people's show. I can't wait at launches like in a week or.
Speaker 4: I forget a week or two.
Speaker 1: Oh, there was a there was a girl named Mika a La Hoover. Uh. Guardians. She she had a little role in Guardians and she she's done some other things and she was fantastic. We went to this fantastic steak place called Harry and Izzy's. And there's also a fantastic steak place called Saint Elmo's, which is like this lead right there, and it's on the same it's on the same block. Those two steakhouses are legendary in the Midwest, and you have to go to them. These these places are unbelievable.
Speaker 4: The little things in life. As Tara said, it's like when you have to travel, you're like.
Speaker 1: Oh the so no no, no, no, no, no no no. I got the I got the a ounce file at with the mashed potatoes and the green beans. Hello with a salad and the brownies and the ice cream in the whole thing. The filet was like butta, it was like butta, it was unreal.
Speaker 4: Well, look from a diner owner, Oh we trust you. I'm working on the cookbook.
Speaker 3: By the way, If people are listening, and I know we're getting sidetracked, that's okay.
Speaker 4: It's a season finale.
Speaker 3: If people listening would be interested in the Luke's Diner Cookbook. Can you message us, because we actually potentially might be able to get it done.
Speaker 4: If people say they.
Speaker 1: I've already got like five ten recipes that I do for my family. Great, great I have, I'm like running running a kitchen in here.
Speaker 4: That's perfect, that'd be great. All right, So we digress.
Speaker 3: But now we were in the jeep and the jeep has pulled up in front of Dosi's and we realize there's something going on, speaking of codes.
Speaker 4: Way way to bring it.
Speaker 1: Back with right, But wasn't it really very smile inducing when you see Taylor running behind her and he can't really keep up with her, and she's just she's not walking very fast.
Speaker 4: That's later? Is that right?
Speaker 1: That? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, that is?
Speaker 1: She was alone.
Speaker 4: You're right, that's what she gets out of the car. Yeah, right, you're right.
Speaker 3: So first they're in the jeep and we realize that there's she's got the fingerprints and you know, Rory's got the fingerprints, and uh, they sort of start to talk and Logan calls and Laura lies like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Don't take the call, and that's where she says it wasn't his fault.
Speaker 2: This was me.
Speaker 4: So it's like, okay, you're right. Doc's like you behind your own back here.
Speaker 1: She just makes you smile. That guy just makes me smile.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but he goes you girls just won't pay any attention if it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have a marketing Yeah what does he say? Adult label or mar.
Speaker 5: She was like so of the time too. Also, I like how it's like she couldn't move it in five minutes. She needs to move it before the five minutes.
Speaker 3: And Kirk Kirk's whole part in it, I'm common for you was that Kirk.
Speaker 1: I thought it was another guy and then Kirk somehow got out of the car. I didn't, I didn't, I didn't. I didn't identify that guy as Kirk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's in that vehicle kind of driving by.
Speaker 3: So then Laura La quickly tells Luke like, Rory, Rory stole a yacht and uh, it's been quite a night, like and he's like, what are you meaning? Rory stole a yacht and you don't care for that logan, just like you were kind of peeved by a dean.
Speaker 1: I think at one point are you talking to me me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Luke?
Speaker 4: You Luke.
Speaker 3: He's like, was she with that logan kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just. I was just I didn't like how I reacted to her coming in the diner the first time. I didn't like it. Yeah, I threw a flag on the acting. Happened on my acting because it was too because what did you do? And I turned around too quick and I kind of went over to the table too quickly and sat down too quickly, you know, I don't know. I don't know why. Maybe they told me, like I have to speed it up because the camera move and you gotta, you know, get over there quicker scott or something like that.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so this is interesting.
Speaker 1: I didn't like the choices I made in that scene, did not.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's because you knew, Like I think one of the hardest things about being an actor, right is that you know what you have to get to, so you might like, I know she's coming in, so you turn around too fast, like.
Speaker 1: Turned and I was wiping the counter. Yeah, I just it seemed like I was anticipating what she was going to say, and I just I did not care for that.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I like the scene. I think she was great, you know.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love the.
Speaker 3: Scene, but it makes me think of did you ever watch the movie? And again, I'm sorry for the I digress the Tom Hanks Sully Sullenberger movie. You know where he takes the boat in the plane, the plane in the Hudson. So one of the whole things, and I think this, yeah, exactly, because so one of the whole things of that movie that you realize is when they put the people in the simulator to see if they would have made the same choice Sully made. And what happens is the bird strike happens. A look at Danielle, I think she's even nodding. Maybe she's seen this. So the bird strike happens, and then the pilots immediately go to Teterborough, right, and they make it whatever, And they were saying Sully made the wrong call. But what happens is Sully says, but you knew, you have the knowledge that the bird strike's coming, and then you immediately make this decision. You have to be a human about it. I didn't know the first I have to realize it's a bird strike. And then the engines are down blah blah blah, and that thirty seconds makes it too far to go to Teeterborough. So I think that's exactly what you're saying, is like Danielle's giving me the nods.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I saw that. I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Yea.
Speaker 3: To me, that's the analogy to what Scott is saying, is that he knows Laura lies coming in, so he's wiping the counter and in real life you wouldn't turn so fast because you wouldn't know she's coming in.
Speaker 4: But the problem is, you.
Speaker 1: Know, did you ever wonder why they don't install anti bird screens on the front of those question? Is it that difficult? Does it? I mean it's.
Speaker 4: Birds, right, like like a mesh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least a bird bounces off it. You kill the birds, poor birds, right.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure the engine killed the birds anyway.
Speaker 1: Sure, But I mean it's like, why kill all the people. It's like put some antique birds, you know. I think I'm gonna work on that.
Speaker 9: I love that.
Speaker 3: I'm giving Scott like the biggest analogy I could come up with for acting.
Speaker 1: I'm just a little bit in shock that he went to another production as opposed to Sex and the City.
Speaker 3: But thank you, thank you, but really going in the real life, and then I do think it's hard anyway.
Speaker 4: People are bored. But totally everybody drinks.
Speaker 6: Okay, we should add like to the list too.
Speaker 3: Totally, and like I did think it was funny when she's kind of going on her rant with Lougan, says, you know, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not prepared for this. She grounded herself from the library.
Speaker 3: Book because she was taking the illiot away from other people. Right, is this going to go on our permanent record? She can't vote, but she loves to vote. She has to be able to vote.
Speaker 1: We're still in the police station. We're in the car.
Speaker 5: Okay, sorry, everybody, Yeah, we're totally out of the Okay, we're in the West.
Speaker 1: I just got off an airplane, Okay, so give me a break. I have a call and I have to get back on an airplane at seven o'clock tomorrow morning and go to Canada. So I'm a little emotional right now because I'm four going to be gone four months. I'm miss my family. They're gonna come visit though.
Speaker 4: We're with you.
Speaker 3: We're lucky for you will be here with you during this.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 3: Of course, Scott, he doesn't have his wife or his kids, the thing he actually loves, but he's got it.
Speaker 1: I love you? What do you mean? I love you? Guys?
Speaker 2: Kind of.
Speaker 3: So okay, So then we realize I think she says, oh, this is where she says that Mitcham criticized her.
Speaker 4: I think she tells.
Speaker 3: Laurla I and I'm glad that she told everybody that she's not hiding it. I would have been frustrated if she didn't tell them.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the moment has to come right. The moment I'm anticipating is the confrontation with Mitcham. I suppose that happens next season. I hope, I hope it's a humdinger.
Speaker 6: I want to see Richard and.
Speaker 4: Give it to me.
Speaker 3: The one thing I think, and I know we sort of started to dabble in this last week, is like, would Rory really have been taken down by Mitchell's comment to the point where she's quitting school?
Speaker 1: Does feel a little extreme? It's quite or maybe it's just something we we we didn't realize. She is a very tender, frail little leaf, isn't she.
Speaker 5: I think I think for me, I took it as she seems a little lost in at Yale, and I think she took this and ran with her.
Speaker 1: She seemed a little lost at Yale. She's doing well, she's involved in the newspaper. She's got a couple of whacky she got a roommate, but she's used to that. It's comfort food for her.
Speaker 4: I got a boyfriend, whole boyfriend.
Speaker 1: She's set up.
Speaker 5: But I mean career wise, like I feel like she think everything.
Speaker 1: Else in the social Okay, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but she said to Yale Daily News, Right, that's what this is one of the prestige uh the papers in the country, in one of the top college newspapers, and it's going to lead to good things for her. So what is the problem? I don't get.
Speaker 9: Yeah, maybe Amy, I agree with you guys, But I also think it's one of those things that like when you're younger, like your scope of the bigger picture is not always there, and like I don't know, like I just think about it, like growing up playing in sports, like you have one bad game and.
Speaker 6: You're like I'm quitting, you know or whatever.
Speaker 4: Right, it's one of those things that's.
Speaker 6: Like this is all she's built up for her entire life, and for her to find out she's bad at it. She's having a kind of a little like not quarter her life crisis because she's not there yet, but like a college crisis ish.
Speaker 3: Okay, So why does she give so much more weight to Mitcham who's known her for a minute and has barely even really experienced her than the Yale's.
Speaker 1: Top the guy in the business in the world.
Speaker 5: But yeah, because that's just the school paper. Like Mitcham's like real deal, real loreal.
Speaker 3: Lies argument to me that she's like this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and like who cares about his opinion? I kind of agree, like she's putting so much like why not.
Speaker 4: Prove him wrong? I think it's instead of just.
Speaker 3: Like giving up her entire life for this guy that doesn't even.
Speaker 4: Know her what.
Speaker 5: I also think she's just so like a head over heels for Logan that she's just gonna be like, okay, like this is Mitcham's a successful guy there, you know, own all this whole company, and I'm in love with his son, so I guess that he's I don't I don't know if I'm making sense.
Speaker 9: Your father in law to like you, and you also want the head of the newspaper to like you too.
Speaker 5: So she's gonna Yeah, so she's going to take a break.
Speaker 1: And well, not everybody that has talent has has the the thickness in the skin to deal with rejection. You know, there's a there's a there's a lot of a lot of unrealized potential out there, people who just weren't didn't let it bounce off.
Speaker 3: But she tends to double down instead of quitting, like we saw it Children, right, I think in the beginning of Children, remember she got kind of overwhelmed and had a bad grade. I think it was from Max maybe, but I can't exactly remember. But and instead of letting it take her sideway, she remember she got all the books and she was studying all the time, and she overcame.
Speaker 4: And then even at Yale, remember she.
Speaker 3: Gets that bad grade at first from somebody, and she doesn't quit. She maybe she quit that class or something, but like she doesn't just went out. So for me, it's just a little weird that she's literally giving up Yale to live in the pool house.
Speaker 1: Maybe we just don't know Rory the way we thought we did.
Speaker 4: And there you go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I also think Rory has never been told that she's not good enough, and like in the last two episodes, she has like from Logan's team, from Logan's parents and family, and also from her job, so it's like kind of a double whammie. And like, I also think she knows larele I because we all can see she still wants to be with Logan. So I think she realizes Laura is not going to be there to help her cope, not not cope that's the wrong word, but like support her still wanting to be with Logan. And we saw that with like the phone call too.
Speaker 3: Right, She's like, are you seriously going to pick that up?
Speaker 9: And she's like, yes, I'm going to. Like, I think Rory's acknowledging, like, my mom isn't right for this moment.
Speaker 6: Maybe Grandma and Grandpa.
Speaker 1: Do you know what if she quits? It is a really irresponsible thing for somebody that powerful to say to an aspiring journalist. I think that was the crime of the century. I think that is such a devastating blow for such a revered, powerful figure and respected figure who's got real influence, right, and he says something like that to you, Yeah, I can I understand why she's folding her tent. That's a that's a big body. That's a knockout punch from Ali. You know, that's that's a heavyweight just nailing you.
Speaker 3: You know, I want everyone listening because it's so important. When Scott said, maybe we don't know Rory as well as we thought we did, so just everybody take note of that.
Speaker 4: And I want to talk about that more.
Speaker 5: But Tara, you go, oh, I was going to say, Scott, you said it earlier, but like some people just.
Speaker 4: Can't take that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But who could take now that I think about a little more, and I've you know, I've been in positions where I have aspirations and people tell me I'm not good enough and this kind of thing, and you know, depending on where it came from, it can have devastating consequences. Now, I was the type who just I didn't let anybody get in my way. I was just like, I don't believe you screw you well as an actor.
Speaker 4: I don't think you could. You're gonna get knows way more than you get.
Speaker 1: Because I was trying to cut her some slack, saying, well, you know, if she quits over this, then he was right. But right, but she's such a you know, she's such a lamb at this point. She's so young and she's so impressionable, and it's like to not for somebody that, to not give somebody in Rory's position encouragement, I just think, is it just, I mean, what a shitty thing to do to anybody, you know, I mean just the guy is not a way. I mean really he goes around and he treats people like this because he.
Speaker 3: But okay, but when you were that age, when did you start acting?
Speaker 4: When did baseball end in acting?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: Mid twenties, okay, so a little older than Rory, right, so you start there must have been a bunch of people that told you, no, you didn't get the part, all these things, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I had a thick skin coming out of baseball because they were saying no all the time too, So I was used to right.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, But that's a good point. I think that's important.
Speaker 3: Imagine if you would have quit, right, you never would have say that you were Rory. And I know I'm being a little bit like whatever making it so literal, but like you never would have gotten Gilmour girl if you just quit because five people told you weren't.
Speaker 1: No, I left baseball because I put seven years into it, and I was spinning my wheels and I thought, I'm not going to waste my twenties on this.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying, acting, you obviously went out for jobs you didn't get and if you would have taken, say, some big director told you no, I don't know they did.
Speaker 1: They did know a lot. Brett Rodger told me he doesn't believe me as a cop, So I said, so, well, you hired Angelinia and Joelie to be in New York City detective. Are you crazy? She looks like a super much right.
Speaker 3: So Brett Bratner is a big, right big director who told you no, and if you would have listened to him, you never would have gotten Gilmer Girls.
Speaker 4: So that's my same point to Rory. She's just taking the no from Mitcham and being a little bit of a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's I'm sorry, she's a kid out of the suburbs, out of a small town. She's she's not coming from the school of hard knocks. She's she hasn't been knocked down, you know, she's this is this is a first experiences, you know, getting some resistance, but it's it's a heavy blow from a big guy and you know that's tough.
Speaker 5: Well that's that's what Danielle said earlier that just like she's always heard yes or like you know that she's great and she's doing a good job. I don't think she's ever been like criticized. Maybe like she got like an a right, like on a test, Like she's never like failed a test.
Speaker 3: The couple times she's been knocked down and she climbed back up again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I don't know where that Rory is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just I don't. I don't know how you look at a person like Rory who's at Yale, who's at the Yale Daily News, is somebody is not encouraging her. I mean, how does somebody like that not encourage somebody in her position? I mean, you've got to be a real jackass, like Logan, he's a jackass.
Speaker 4: Correct an ass.
Speaker 3: Is it Mitcham's fault or is it Rory's fault? And I think it's Mitch's fault, right, and in my opinion it's Rory's. It's like Rory needs to buck up, just like Lorelei is saying, Larelei's got grit, right, So she's like ignore this ass who cares, don't quit like a Laureli to me, if I have to pick a side in all this, which we'll get to, because I know we're not quite there yet, I'm team Laurelai again.
Speaker 1: So now we get to see how good Rory's support system is. Can they get her out of this death spiral? Can they right the ship? Can they get her back on course? And that's really what a good support system does. So we'll see, we shall sing.
Speaker 4: Well, right, that's the whole point, because this is a.
Speaker 1: Big storm that hit her in the middle of the ocean, and she's going down and and but you know, look at it another way. Maybe a year away from school and she's traveling and she learning new things, maybe it's exactly what she needs. A lot of people have done that.
Speaker 4: I took a year after I maybe I quit.
Speaker 1: I left baseball, and I had to figure it out, you know, a little different situation.
Speaker 3: But you know my problem is, and again this is not a spoiler for everybody that wants to yell.
Speaker 4: Oh for gods, no, No, you don't even need to.
Speaker 2: You don't even need to.
Speaker 4: I promise Daniel doesn't either.
Speaker 3: If you know the movies, the reason I want to acknowledge the movies is because there is some significance to this point. And yes, not fully, but there is some significance at this point to where we find Rory in the movies, and so there I do think it's like sliding doors.
Speaker 4: And I would have loved.
Speaker 3: To see if Rory stood up to Mitcham didn't care where that same Rory would have been when we get to the movies, which we'll talk about. That's why I just keep saying, remember this moment when we about the movies, because I do think there's some important stuff here, and I think she should have been a little tougher on this, like.
Speaker 4: Laura l I.
Speaker 3: I think she should have taken Laurrelai's advice and done what Laurai said, rather than just let Richard and Emily take care.
Speaker 1: She was still she was still wagg she was still wobbly on her feet after the knockout blow. You have to give her a chance to recover. I think Richard was right, Emily was right.
Speaker 4: She's to recover.
Speaker 1: She got knocked out. She got When you get knocked out, you don't want to go back in the ring anymore. It takes a lot of courage to get back in the ring. She got knocked out.
Speaker 4: You don't know about falling off the horse, get back.
Speaker 1: Up the air. That's one way to we all.
Speaker 3: I guess it's like upbringing, right, because when I would like fail at things, literally fail, and I'd be like, oh well for me, and my dad would be like, you lost too bad, You lost too bad.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't like he was being mean. He was just saying, you lost too bad. This is life. Go again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so somebody need to say to Rory, you lost too bad. This one guy doesn't like you pick yourself up and you don't go stealing yacht.
Speaker 1: It's not just one guy, it's the guy.
Speaker 3: So I'm there's a lot of the guys, right, this is one of the guy's opinions.
Speaker 5: I think, like she her feelings are valid, Like she's allowed to be upset. Like I would say, let her be upset for the summer. I don't agree with not taking a year off, but like, yeah, let her be upset all summer, let her go do whatever she you know what I mean, like and then jump back into it.
Speaker 6: Yes, but Amy, you were saying somebody needs to tell her that.
Speaker 4: I think that's what Laura I did do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm saying Lurla did tell her, and she's being a big baby about it. It's like and even Tara, not that I don't love you, Tara, but you're like, she can be sad about it all summer. No, she should be sad about it for like the weekend and after the week and it's like, no one died, no one's sick. She didn't get flunk out Mitchem said she was going to be an assistant. Well, okay, nephew mitcham and then like come back.
Speaker 1: So I think this is this is Richard and Emily. I think from their point of view, how they see this is that, oh God, our daughter did not build a very strong granddaughter, and oh God, let's take her in. Let's let her recover and let's rebuild her somehow. Let's rebuild her fragile psyche. Let's let Richard and his wisdom work on her, talk with her, love her, support her, and guide her back onto the path that she was on. And if and if anybody can, because I don't think that they trust Laurla I at all, because which is mean.
Speaker 4: Because Laura I the one who's right.
Speaker 1: But it's not about Okay, but it's not about at this point, she's in college, she's not living at home anymore. It's not about right or wrong. It's about it's about listening to someone and seeing how they feel, where their heart is and where where their soul is, and aiding them in the right way. And they definitely agree. And it's like to go back home to Laurel I, you know, Rory, not even Rory wants that. She doesn't want to do that.
Speaker 3: I agree with what you're saying in that, like, you're right, But what I think is they're coddling her a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: I thought the plan if you're presented with somebody who's acting in this seemingly irrational way, how else do you deal with it? You don't. You don't do it by force. Not everybody responds to that, you know, not everybody that gets challenged and rises to the challenge. You got to take a different tact with somebody that is this obviously sensitive.
Speaker 4: Right, But here's what happened.
Speaker 1: Here's what happens being sensitive. It's an asset.
Speaker 3: No, Larelai maybe could have been a bit more sensitive, I'll give you that, but I do think she was, and Rory wasn't in trouble for stealing the yacht because Laura I was being sensitive to the situation but also saying like.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna quit Yale.
Speaker 3: Lorelai was so right in so many ways.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Grandparents aren't parents because grandparents are so obsessed and love their grandchildren so much that Richard and Emily were on board with the plan until Rory came in crying and hugging Richard and he couldn't take it. He loves her so much as a grandfather that he's like, whatever you need, your grandmother, and I will help you.
Speaker 4: Whatever you need. You can stay here. It's fine, it's fine, it's fine, don't cry, don't cry.
Speaker 3: Whereas Laurel I's like, you can cry, but I'm not gonna coddle you. We're gonna figure this out in the right way, just like Luke. We'll get to that. Luke has a whole plan of how he's going to fix this.
Speaker 8: All right, that's gonna do it. Everybody, listen, We're gonna do a two parter. So this is gonna end Part one. Thanks for downloading, best fans on the planet. We will see you next time for Part two, and remember we and I I'm all in, Stay safe.
Speaker 2: Everyone, everybody adult again.
Speaker 8: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com