Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Tuesday, July twenty eighth, and through nobody's surprise, a judge has officially ruled that singer David does have to go to trial for murder. But there were still some surprises in day five of his preliminary hearing, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. With surprises came when the defense started introducing some text messages from Celeste Robes that were pretty strong language in terms of real violent physical threats against David. I wasn't expecting to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was definitely a surprise. Obviously, we knew there was a lot and we're talking thousands of text messages that investigators and the defense had access to, but we until this hearing had not really seen much of it. But my goodness, it was surprising to see the own the texts that were taking place in the twenty four hours leading up to her death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tone, I guess is a good way to put it. Again, we have talked about how this looked alike and a lot of what we have seen in this preliminary hearing. They were behaving and discussing things you would expect the much older older of age, adults in a very serious relationship to be talking about. We're talking about a thirteen year old girl, so a lot of this is shocking. So to get you caught up here is day five of the preliminary hearing. It was to present evidence to make sure there was enough to go to trial. We were fully expecting. I guess that's the first headline that.
Speaker 2: Was established in the first fifteen minutes of day one in the preliminary hearing.
Speaker 3: I think we can all agree yet.
Speaker 1: We went through the process, so yes, it's no surprise the judge officially make the ruling, but still rose. We had one detective who finished up the testimony yesterday who was on the stand and rose. We started to get some glimpses of what the defense might want to do. Since she had two stab wounds. Did she do it to herself or was it possibly self defense? Robes, is this have they revealed now the direction they're going to go? Because they've now presented these text messages in which she sounds threatening, we're going to share them. But Robes, are they establishing a direction now?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I think it was very clear in day five that I was almost said to four oh my goodness, David's defense team was clearly setting or establishing the fact that it was Celeste revs Hernandez who was making threats, making death threats, making threats of mutilating certain body parts, and threatening to ruin his life, his career. Get her dad involved all of the things you might imagine a young girl who was desperate to try and stay in a relationship that she saw slipping through her fingers. I mean, you see this in attack. You you can feel her anxiety almost in the text, but clearly her threats. And then they made it very clear that David didn't want her to come over, that she was the one who was pushing to come over, that she was the one who wanted to see him. So, yes, they are clearly establishing or we're starting to see them establish a defense.
Speaker 1: So this was Detective Corey Farrell, and we told you about him yesterday, but he was on the stand for over two days. But he was the one who had the phone and went through a lot of their text messages. So a couple of things that they did focus on the prosecution at least when he was on the stand. An important timeline between April twenty second and April twenty fifth. That's the stretch of time when they got into a fight. He lured her over, they say he killed her. He had an album release and got it aud d da, dada da. So let's start with Robes. How they say this all kind of kicked off and why she was so pissed on April twenty second, back and forth this again, She's it's thirteen, but this feels like a silly thirteen year old almost or a young person's argument. I'm mad at you because I saw some other girl post something on Instagram from your house.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was the heh, and that's it. But that's all it took.
Speaker 2: And yes, she was upset about some other girl and that is what set her off.
Speaker 3: That is what upset her.
Speaker 2: And yes it was something posted on social media. I mean, this is very typical. But her level of I guess of anger rose to a pretty high degree. She was making some very specific threats.
Speaker 1: So this is on April twenty second, they say, the fight happens. Now, this was important as well. Robes, this timeline of the last night of her life. They do believe now to set this up first of all, Robes, April twenty third, when they say he lured her over, you just mentioned and it needs to be mentioned here. I guess they showed text messages at least the defenstive for a couple of days she was begging to come over. He kept saying, no, I'm busy, Robes. That establishes a pretty good It takes almost that part off the table of luring somebody. They're making the point he actually didn't want to see her, So how is he planning to kill her?
Speaker 2: And that's really important for the defense because part of the prosecution's justification for potentially bringing a death sentence or a life in prison without the possibility of parole are those aggravated circumstances. And part of the aggravated circumstances is that he lured her over for financial gain and her murder was going to give him money. So you've seen them throughout this preliminary hearing try to already establish this idea that so much money was at stake, millions and millions of dollars, his bursioning career was all at stake, and that yes, he lured her own over to kill her for his own financial gain. If they can debunk that in terms of his role in bringing her over. That is going to go a long way in his if he were to be found guilty in terms of his sentencing, obviously they could eliminate the special circumstances.
Speaker 1: It throws. This is why you get lawyers, and you get good lawyers.
Speaker 3: Robes.
Speaker 1: They might have just saved his life. The way to look at that, this is why and we look at all this evidence and go, my goodness, he's guilty, and how he's going to overcome it? Robes. Just by getting that detail possibly off the table, gets the death penalty possibly off the table, and saved his life. Ro That's I guess good lawyering. That's why they get paid the pig bucks exactly. So, yes, they pointed all of that out, that he wasn't the one trying to get her over. But he finally does say okay, they agree that she's gonna come over on the twenty third. Now they have a timeline that says at eight thirty nine to forvid ordered and Uber for her and then around ten ten pm this was the final text she ever sent. Robes quote almost there open your door if you're home. And they do have evidence now Robes that at ten ten as well, the uber arrived and at ten ten he wrote back gate opened door unlocked. Now Robes ten ten to ten thirty one is a very crucial time period of twenty one minutes. What the hell happened?
Speaker 2: And that is when prosecutors say David murdered Celest Revus Hernandez in those twenty minutes, because the reason why we know what happened in those twenty one minutes at ten thirty one. Between ten thirty one and ten thirty six, he starts sending Celeste texts where are you at hello, bro Celeste, So it looks as though he is trying to yes, cover up or act as though if anyone were to get her phone or to check text messages, that he was acknowledging she had never arrived, that despite the uber showing her being dropped off gate open door unlocked. The next text from him or where are you at hello, ro sess Celeste.
Speaker 1: So yes, he was a bunch of all the list of a few, but it was a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Those trying to make it seem as though he was concerned about where she was that she had never shown up at his house.
Speaker 1: So that means Robes, by the time she pulls up at ten ten. In their theory, they say he attacked her immediately. Yes, I don't know how they know that. I think there's because of the text messages.
Speaker 3: I guess I get.
Speaker 1: But he had twenty minutes, twenty one minutes. What the hell happened in that twenty one minutes and whatever happened in that twenty one minutes robed is key to everything in this case. It's fascinating that they had narrowed it down to a few minutes of time in his whole case, so they do have evidence. After that, at eleven ten, he starts driving north at Tesla up towards Santa Barbara, and this is where along the way her what her passport was dumped.
Speaker 2: Her passport ID and so yes, they found some items that they actually traced back by using his GPS and a cell phone data. I believe that is, I know someone found it, but they were able to actually place his car almost in the exact area where her items were found.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as damaging and damning as all that was while the detective was up there, ropes, when the defense got up there, this was as effective as they have been throughout Robes I was shocked by the revelation about her family what this way knew.
Speaker 2: I was always confused by this and maybe more will come out because for her, first of all, Babe, she's been reported missing since April of twenty twenty four. Didn't understand how where was she for him to send an uber to take her from wherever she was staying and it took more than an hour, so that's about where she lived. Where she came from, it was about an hour's drive from his place. So if so, how was she still missing If she was coming from the place where she lived with her family, maybe she was with other family members, but how would her parents not have known where she was? It just that was always confusing to me, how she was still missing if she had to or if David had to send an uber to go get her to bring her.
Speaker 3: To his home.
Speaker 1: They showed some text messages where she sent just a zip code I believe was something to where all she did was a zip code in numbers, and he understood which place he was supposed to send the uber to pick her up. But it was a home in a town. They know where it is. Who was there? You're right, it's as if she had a residence, as she had a full time home somewhere, so how was she missing.
Speaker 2: There were reports that she had stayed with other family members, But okay, that still means you're not missing. I mean, even if you're not living with maybe your mother or your father, you're with an aunt, you're with a cousin, you're with somebody. It sounded like that's where she had bounced around, So I guess it's just a little fuzzy to me that she was still technically missing from from her whereabouts wasn't known by her parents, or at least that's what it was implied.
Speaker 1: Well, it was implied, but Robes it was flat out stated in court yesterday that her parents knew about this relationship, her adult sister knew about it, her cousins knew, her friends knew. Not only that Robes, they had given their blessing to this relationship. I am not clear on what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Yes, And they even went so far as to say that her parents signed a permission slip allowing her to travel with him to London, and that her sister came too. So and you think about that, even David trying to say he doesn't know or he didn't realize how old she was. Obviously she had a passport. Obviously you can see her date of birth. And yes, when you travel overseas with a minor, you have to have some sort of documentation from a parent that they were all to leave the country. So all away with her sister on this one, her adult sister.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance that he wasn't involved? Is can he make any argument that even then he still didn't know she was thirteen years I think.
Speaker 2: That would be really hard for anyone to believe. But initially maybe that she lied about her age. Fine, kids do that. Young young kids do that, wanting to be older and cooler. So maybe initially I would buy that he might not have known how old she was but when she was eleven, But maybe she said she was fourteen when she was eleven, who knows. And he was seventeen, so he didn't think it was that crazy. But eventually, obviously he had to have known.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you say, hey, you want to drive tonight and she had no license.
Speaker 3: Or hey you want to go to the club tonight, or you want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all kinds of stuff, Okay, But the stuff about the family knowing and blessing the relationship is confusing to me. The detail that they he even went to church with the family ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we had heard before that she traveled with him to Texas to meet his family. So it seemed as though, or it's starting to seem as though both families were aware of this relationship as illegal as it was.
Speaker 1: Bro This is going to get fleshed out in a trial at some point. The dynamics in the background on this are mind blowing to me. So he's committing a crime and everybody around is welcome him into the church. They know how old she is. He's not lying about his age.
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't think so. I mean, how couldy?
Speaker 2: He looks as like he looks like an eighteen, nineteen twenty year old old who's.
Speaker 1: Going along with the relationship. You all know she's thirteen ropes. I'm what am I missing?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Different families, different different different beliefs. I mean, look, some cultures will marry off their daughters very young, so different folks have different beliefs about what the right age is. Even though we have laws in this country saying exactly when the right age is. Who knows what different families, different folks, how they operate well.
Speaker 1: And this is where again he wrapped up this this detective we're talking about ro if they shared some text messages. Again, this was the other bombshell part of the surprising part. The defense gets up there and yeah, they just listen to the prosecution go through all these text messages that are so damning to David. Then they put off these robes that are kind of damning. Might not be the right word, but they.
Speaker 3: Paint threatens a certain picture.
Speaker 1: Robes. Was she serious? She was only thirteen or fourteen? Robes. This is some some pretty heavy stuff that the defense can use to suggest he might have been fearful or she might have been unstable.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the threat the texts that they put up or they discussed in court. Celeste sends this to David. I swear to God, I will kill you. I will strangle you to death. I will tell my dad so many lies about you. I will end your career and your life. I will straight up mutilate your penis.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to make of that, babe. So fourteen year old kid, thirteen, fourteen year old kid sending that stuff? What in God's good Heaven.
Speaker 2: That is the first we have heard or seen any texts even like, not even in that tone or in that like.
Speaker 3: This was shocking to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, is that just how you kind of talk? And obviously it's not supposed to be taking taken seriously when she says, I swear to God, I will kill you, I will strangle you to.
Speaker 3: Death, I will mutilate your penis.
Speaker 1: Roums, What is is there any and they shared up from him and his response to her, he didn't. I mean, there might be others somewhere they can dig up in the prosecution. At least the defense showed some responses that were measured in how he was responding and trying to deal with her robes. I don't know if the defense is going to be able to take this and make it a defense he was. She had already threatened to literally kill him, came over that night a ratic out of control. She did this, she picked up that, and what can you say? But who can tell that story? He's the only one man, He is the only one. So you can't enter that even into evidence. You can't enter that scenario.
Speaker 3: Unless he's willing to testify.
Speaker 1: Or unless they have some forensic somebody who can put together the scene. No, you can't robes he's it? Am I missing something?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 1: Who else can tell that story? But stay here, folks, The defense was not done. They may a couple of other significant points that again lead to a counter narrative that is developing.
Speaker 2: And welcome back everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ. We are talking about day five, and it was a doozy. It was the final day of the David Anthony Burke preliminary hearing where a judge, yes, ultimately decided no surprise to anyone that this is going to trial. But what was surprising was the window into what we are about to see from David's defense team, what his defense will likely be a trial, and they are already painting a picture of a erratic, maybe even vengeful, angry Celestrivas Hernandez who was making threats in the hours leading up to her own death. In addition to some of these texts that we saw come out in court yesterday, we also yes learned that she was begging him, begging David to come to his home, not the other way around, Not that luring thing that prosecutors have been painting a picture of and so she insisted on going to his house that night, and David was They were texting back and forth.
Speaker 1: Robes, she he's planning. They said he had to get her over that night to kill her. He'd been telling her not to come for days, said he was busy, apparently had an album coming out in a couple of days. Right, Robes. That is a very good point that they were able to make Robes and show that she was pestering to a certain degree. Have to see you this week. I can't go another week without da da da da. Can I come with the night? We need to talk about this face to face Robes. Look, we've been waiting. On the defense, we were waiting. They usually always come up with something the other thing they show in the text from that night, Robes, they had a good line that always saw he wasn't planning a murder. He was planning dinner. He was actually texting her as she was on the way in the uber about possibly getting in and out burger.
Speaker 2: That is so strange, like could he have been doing it to have her guard be down and think, Okay, we're going to have a lovely, fun takeout dinner and We're gonna have makeup sex and everything's going to be fine. Or was is that true? Was he really he didn't have murder on his mind. He had a burger on his mind, and he was not expecting things to unravel the way they did so quickly.
Speaker 1: And this bro, what do you make of it? He can prove now that at least she told him she was older. They have text messages from two different years, and one of them she says she was sixteen, another she says she was eighteen. Does he know that he believe that? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a thirteen year old girl would lie about her age. I think that plenty of girls have done that to try and get the attention of an older guy. I don't think that's unreasonable to think. But I do believe after a three year relationship, at some point, meeting the family, et cetera, I feel like it's unreasonable to believe that he wouldn't have actually known her real age. I think maybe initially and maybe for a little while. I've been duped by someone's age before, so it can happen. But as an adult with another adult, let me just please put that into context.
Speaker 3: But yes, so I.
Speaker 1: Need to give further details.
Speaker 2: No, completely different situation, but that's not unreasonable to me. But still I guess that would just only speak to the sexual crimes he's facing and Rome.
Speaker 1: The other part of that is she was threatening him. What was she threatening him with revealing the relationship? Yes, so I would in a legal relationship.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. He wouldn't have had his career wouldn't be on the line if she was of age. It just would have been a messy breakup and some girls saying he did me wrong, but.
Speaker 3: That'd be it. He had to deal with all that on and pretty.
Speaker 2: Much every singer songwriter in the world has actually made millions of dollars off of those scenarios with their lyrics. So yes, it would not have been an issue had he had he not known.
Speaker 1: Well, they're supposed to be in court next month? Is it August thirty first? Yes, I remember that correctly, they're supposed to be in there. That's kind of a scheduling hearing, if you will, they're going to go over when trial is going to be and what are the next things to do? In robes? Did you see this as well? Some law. Is it law, they're supposed to possibly get a trial within ninety days. I saw that as Well's every thing I'd seen before said next year.
Speaker 2: Look as much as we see delays and just how long these things take, just for both sides to get their ducks in a row, and just for the legal process, the courtroom availability, et cetera. It takes a while to schedule these things. So to hear that could be beginning by the end of this year is fairly shocking. But we shall see, because I guess maybe in the interest of a swift trial, and if I usually it's the defense that holds things up because they're looking to try and get more evidence, et cetera. So if they're good to go, it's possible we could have a trial here in a matter of months.
Speaker 1: Goodness all right, folks, we got our eyes on it. But yes, the preliminary hearing is over. Deforvid is officially going to be going to trial for the murder of Celeste revs. Hernandez. We always appreciate you going along with us, Signed T. J. Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy Robot will talk to you as soon