Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: In today's special episode of How Rude Tanneritos, we will be discussing eating disorders and diet culture as portrayed in the Shape Up episode. If these topics are triggering in any sort of way, please feel the freedom to skip this episode and we'll catch you next week. We invited a holistic nutritionist and coach, Melanie Samuels, to join us for this important discussion, and she has a really eye opening approach to nutrition that helps people improve their relationship with food. If you, or anyone you know is struggling with disordered eating, we encourage you to visit the website National Eatingdisorders dot org or call the National Alliances for Eating Disorders helpline at one eight six six six six two one two three five. Please be well and take care of yourselves. We love you. Hello, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: What's up? Hey?
Speaker 1: I'm feeling great? What I'm feeling great?
Speaker 2: You are?
Speaker 1: How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Hired?
Speaker 4: Like? I?
Speaker 3: Well, it's been it's been a it's been a busy week and it's been one of those weeks where you're like, I didn't like I did things, but I feel like seventy percent of what took up my time was driving to the things. Oh yeah, you know, yeah, especially it was like I had to go the West Side over to the valley, to Pasadena.
Speaker 2: To yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: But I did get to volunteer some more this week with the Baby List and nice helping support some of the LA fire victims, which was really great, great, a huge line, lots of people, got all kinds of stuff that they really needed.
Speaker 2: So it was it was, uh, it was a really great day. Two days. Actually it was great two days.
Speaker 3: But my back is definitely thinking otherwise because I you know me, I'm like I jump in and I'm like, you know what I should do? I should organize unloading the trucks. So I was wondering slipping things.
Speaker 2: On giant dollies from one floor to another. You have a muscle, baby.
Speaker 1: Let you go and you lift everything.
Speaker 3: But well it was like me and then like you know, a bunch of like heavy guys and I'm like, I got it? What am I? Why?
Speaker 2: Why do I need to do that? But it was very glad. I just like I like.
Speaker 3: Jumping in and helping and like whatever. The thing that looks the most sort of arduous and difficult, I'm like I'll help tackle that.
Speaker 1: Good for you. That's a good quality. Yeah, that's a good I mean your back. They might not think so, but I think yeah. Back.
Speaker 3: I definitely was like, oh, high forty three, how's it going, I'll go.
Speaker 2: Lower back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, just tired a lot of stuff. I went worked out hard today every day.
Speaker 2: This one good for you. Pus the days that I've I know, back hurts.
Speaker 1: That's what happens you work out every day.
Speaker 2: I know I've been working out every day. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'll take the streak where I can get it, because then it'll be I'll just be like, ah, okay.
Speaker 1: Well And as we're recording this, it's January thirtieth. Why is January so long? Like I feel like it's the seventy fifth day of January.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it does. It feels like, how are we still in January? But I feel like once February starts, it's going to be November real quick, you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, It does go quick, especially once you go quick. But in the holidays, you know, Mother's.
Speaker 3: Day and Father's Okay, no, no, no, no, no, no, I can't even I can't even.
Speaker 1: I'm sure target is already selling like Fourth of July decoration, Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've stocked up on my Halloween.
Speaker 3: I'm putting it up right afterbr right after Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: So you know that's probably appropriate.
Speaker 2: Forgive us the start on things, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just really yeah, back to school Halloween style, you know, so I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Wear a costume on the first day of school. I think there's a niche, you know.
Speaker 3: I think I think more people should wear costumes in their daily life.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we should just.
Speaker 3: Start showing up cosplaying whatever.
Speaker 2: Just whatever you're into.
Speaker 1: This would be a great Like ice Breaker is, if you wear a costume representing whatever it is you're currently into, whether you're binge watching Breaking Bad, or you're into a certain podcast how tan Rito's. You could wear your merch, I don't know, whatever it is. You can just wear something that represents your current obsession.
Speaker 3: You could wear a shirt with a turtle yes, on a skateboard from from our from our merch. You could do that if you want to do that is a great idea. But I it's a great idea for like those of us that like doing ridiculous stuff.
Speaker 2: I if you did this like at work.
Speaker 3: And I just imagine someone like my husband being told like, hey, you have to he'd be like.
Speaker 1: I quit, Oh, he would never he'd wear like a Dodger shirt that you know that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wears something, Uh, snarky and sarcastic. Which more credit. Yeah, but yeah, I think maybe we should just make everyone on our on our zoom do that when we record next week.
Speaker 2: Everyone dress up, dress up. No, I mean you can if you want to.
Speaker 1: Hey, don't challenge me, don't threaten me with a good time.
Speaker 3: Give us a platform for a stupid idea, because we will take it.
Speaker 1: We'll take it, we will run with it. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which And speaking of I think, uh, do we talk about this last week that people were enjoying our unhinged minisode where we played every character.
Speaker 2: I don't know have we talked about that since it aired.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have.
Speaker 1: People apparently, I think they liked it. I think we.
Speaker 3: Were getting a lot of comments that they liked it, that it was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I love it. Uh that we they don't know why we don't have that.
Speaker 3: We're not egot winners at this point, given the quality of performance.
Speaker 2: Sure, but you know, well we're working on it, guys, we're working on it.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, it was I think people enjoyed our craziness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I just hope that it wasn't confusing. I did see some comments people were like, I could picture the episode in my mind as you and I were reading through it. I think the voiceover the voiceovers are what kind of threw me for a loop. Was because you're reading Rusty's letter in Stephanie's voice or you know, so right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it was. It was, it was layered, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it was we I think like they picked the most challenging episode, like not only are you playing another character, but you're playing another character reading another character's note as though that, Yeah, it's it.
Speaker 1: Was a lot. I'm confused just listening to you. Yeah, it's it was a lot. But it was fun. Well.
Speaker 3: Luckily the fan of Ritos know the shows, yes, so than we do way better than we yes, yes. And speaking of shows that they know, we just recently did the the gym episode, the shape Up episode was it shape Up? Yeah, shape up episode where we wanted to bring on our friend an incredible guest and nutritionist and just all around wonderful person who you guys have heard us mentioned before. Mel Samuels, who worked on Fuller House of the famous the Kim and Mel duo that you guys hear us mentioned so often. Yep, yep, and we love her and she is a certified holistic nutritionist and coach. So I'm really excited to get her take on that episode, and especially you know she watched it growing up, Like, what was it? How did that you know, affect our audience? Yeah, people that watched her thought today, I'm really.
Speaker 1: Glad to have it and die in the nineties versus how we think about it. Wow, Like this is going to be a rich conversation. I'm ready for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yea, for sure. All right, Well let's let's Mel, Let's do it. Let her in. It's so good to.
Speaker 1: See your face.
Speaker 3: It's been so yes, I know it's been since our what our our PTT uh Health Water Reunion.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well you have to explain almost every word of that sentence because.
Speaker 4: When we almost got kicked out of arrest.
Speaker 2: So pt T.
Speaker 1: Is our little group with our port. We call it Porch Talk Time. It's Jody, Me, Melanie, and Kim. The aforementioned Kim Moffatt, who we talk about frequently on this show and.
Speaker 2: Who has co hosted this show. Oh yeah, she did.
Speaker 1: She co hosted an episode where I couldn't be there. So she's been on the pod. Now you're on the pod.
Speaker 2: This is a great little mini.
Speaker 1: Reunion for us. Excited. I'm excited for this topic. I'm excited to talk about this episode. I'm really really, really curious about your thoughts. And thank you so much for joining us too, Like, this is great of you to take time out of your day.
Speaker 5: Oh well, thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited to be here. And just a heads up, I have a sick kiddo at home today, so if there are any potential interruptions, I apologize.
Speaker 2: I was just about it. I was just about to ask.
Speaker 4: How's the He's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's almost three and a half, which is so wild. Time really does fly. But these preschool germs are no jokes.
Speaker 1: It's when they're that little. Never just know.
Speaker 4: It's like every you know, fair game, so making it, making it.
Speaker 1: If you need a time or you need to put yourself in time out, you need to Yeah, just just let us know it's no problem.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So tell us, Okay, we gave a little brief intro, but tell us what your job is, your title, tell us a little bit about the company you founded with Melissa Kolia, tell us everything.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I am a certified nutritional therapy practitioner, which is just kind of a fancy way of saying holistic nutritionist. And I have my own private practice, but right now I have been focusing mostly on Live Well, Lead Well, which is the company that Melissa Coulier, Dave's wife. I'm sure people can make that connection she and I founded, and it is a holistic wellness company that helps female leaders prioritize their health. So whether that looks like a government official or a C suite woman or even someone who's the leader of their household, leadership can take on so many different roles, and so we help implement nutrition, functional movement, and mindfulness through breathwork and journaling and things like that into your day so that you can handle stressors better. Because stressors aren't going anywhere, but the way in which we react to them is the variable here. And when you have your health. You can do anything with more confidence and more clarity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just want to Mel, you've you and I have worked together, which I mean I still to this day, I'm like, I just hear your voice in my head of like, Okay, if you're gonna, you know, have a little treat, you have a treat and then you.
Speaker 2: Know, have a vegetable like just you know, like it's now, it's not stress, you know.
Speaker 3: But I also have to see you have been working with my mom who has diabetes and is really trying to control it with you know, health and diet and exercise, and also you just made such a huge difference for her.
Speaker 2: You really, I can't.
Speaker 3: Tell you how many times she's been like, oh my gosh, I just love Mel. I didn't expect, you know, the holistic part of looking at what food does for you. What is the you know, the stressor the thing you know, what do I turn to food for whatever?
Speaker 2: But you've just you helped so many people.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to have you a part of this conversation because it is super important.
Speaker 4: Thank you. And oh my gosh, I love your mom so much.
Speaker 2: She was one of our first guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's interesting because you know, everyone has a food story, and even just between yourself and your mom, your food stories are totally different. And I think it's something that isn't talked about a lot, and sometimes the thoughts that you have in your head about food and about your body, there's a very different conversation when you're having it with yourself than when you're saying it out loud to someone else, because you can learn so much more about why you think the way you do about health or food when you really figure.
Speaker 4: Out the roots of that story.
Speaker 5: And I think this episode is such an interesting sort of snippet on that for DJ, which was so relatable I.
Speaker 4: Think for so many girls, including myself, watching that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would just the shock of like what the diet culture sort of was of that era.
Speaker 2: And I mean I remember it well.
Speaker 3: You know, everything was sugar free, fat free, you know, it was all about how to lose weight and how to stay skinny and how to you know, and I'm look, we haven't gotten completely away from that, but it was just such an interesting, interesting kind of juxtaposition between today's conversations and nineteen ninety conversations.
Speaker 4: You know, even in the way that and it's a pendulum, yeah.
Speaker 3: And even in the way that the adults handled it with DJ, like you know some of the things they said, Andrey and I were like, no, what do you oh you oh, don't say that.
Speaker 2: Don't that's no.
Speaker 1: But in one of the early scenes, Becky walks into the kitchen and finds DJ taping pictures of supermodels onto the fridge as her inspiration, so she won't eat when she sees these pictures as she's going to the refrigerator. And I was like, Becky, that's a red flag, Like come on, she would and she gives some good advice about healthy eating, but it's just like, did no one see any of these red flags coming? DJ was screaming it was like yeah, across her forehead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the ice pops right like she's having a conversation with everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, no, I'm just sucking on an ice cube while everyone's eating cake, totally normal, and all the adults are like, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of those little miss signals, and that was one of my biggest notes. And the other interesting thing about Andrew you had said what Becky said was I think you know, this is what makes it such a delicate subject because because I think that people have a tendency to want to solve other people's problems, and it's sort of a form of a love language, right, and I'm guilty of that as a parent and a friend. Right, I want to solve your problem right then and there and provide a solution for you. But the problem is is when Becky says, you know, well you just have to eat like this and here's the standard meal plan, that already makes DJ feel like she has failed because she's like, well, what if she's already doing that and it's not working for her body, or what if she doesn't know how to do that and enjoy it. So it's sort of you know, it's a very common thing for people to just say, well, just do this and this is the result that you will get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it sort of categorizes food into good food or bad food, where there's that there's a balance. You know, DJ's so all or nothing. She's like, no, I can't eat I have to have ice pops instead, and it's like, well, no, there's a there's a healthy balance between eating good foods and then indulging occasionally but not going so overboard, which she does in this episode right well.
Speaker 3: And I think too, like it's such an important part of it is also talking about like the development at that age. It's so you know, your body is like you're still not through puberty really completely and through you know, you're like still stretching and growing and doing all of these things, and so you know, it's it was so hard to see, and it was so hard to see.
Speaker 2: Like DJ, who is not at all a large girl, to be discussing it and no one's saying like.
Speaker 3: You're healthy, You're fine, you know, like everyone was like, oh, I can see why, and you're like wait, no, wait, wait, we're just jumping on this board or on this bandwagon.
Speaker 5: Except it was interesting Steph's character, and I thought this was so perfect because it reminded me of you personally, Jodi, because you say it how it is and you call it out. And she was like, I mean, I'll keep the secret, but I don't love this. That is just so something that you would say, very true, like you know, I don't want this, but I'm a good friend and like I'll keep this out on the down low.
Speaker 3: Right, So that was sort of a side segument becomes a problem. I'm sorry, I'm letting you We're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I did. I love stuff and her reaction to this and her like, I don't think this is a good idea, and like, I'm not, and the.
Speaker 3: Importance of also that idea that you know, we we can keep each other's secrets as long as it's not about safety or health or putting anyone in danger, and those aren't the secrets that we keep, you know, exactly.
Speaker 5: And you know, she was comparing herself like you had said, you know, she's not somebody you would look at and say, yeah, no, they need to work on their health. But the problem was she started with the episode started with those magazines and the nineteen nineties that was the time that it really took off with tabloids and paparazzi and then the ultra thinness in your fashion models, which also even kind of dictated how the fashion industry was, like remember the super low rise genes.
Speaker 3: And the baby teas, yeah, the heroine chic yeah, you know, yeah, it was already creating this this expectation for how your body types should even look like.
Speaker 5: And so I think I think it was just she was falling as a victim to the messaging that she was being exposed.
Speaker 4: To, right as we all work.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean the advent of you know, photoshop and all of that in the.
Speaker 2: Late eighties early nineties.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, it was like you could tweak and gloss over and make, you know, into perfection anything you want. And now it's even more. You can do it on your phone, you do. You don't need Adobe Photoshop Pro to do.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like you can make yourself look completely different and look like how you think you should look.
Speaker 2: Rather than how you actually look, you know.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that makes me question who's like who's buying who was buying these magazines in the nineties, Like who's this for? Because women don't want to feel less?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 1: So is this all like how you mentioned like this was the look of the models the baby tees, Like is this all for the male gaze? Like these are editors putting these models on the covers because that's what men want to see. Because I don't know if women want to see that.
Speaker 3: I'd say that I don't think women want to see it, but it's almost that that is like almost a subconscious thought because that kind of goes underneath, like you don't really think about how much you don't want to see that until you like go through all of the nonsense of fighting that battle, you know what I mean. I feel like your teens and twenties are like you don't even think about like not engaging in that comparison, you know, right, Well.
Speaker 5: I think it's also just a side effect of diet culture, and it it got to that point because of the trajectory of how diet culture started. Right, So if if you want at a history lesson.
Speaker 3: You know me, let's go, hold on, I'm getting oes. Yeah, yeah, And we're also just going to blame the patriarchy.
Speaker 2: So there we go the blanket.
Speaker 5: And so in diet culture actually started in ancient Greece, and it wasn't necessarily like a top thing. It's just that in ancient Greece, you know, dictated by religion and culture and food availability, they there was a big emphasis on physical movement, as you can see from what we you know, the pieces of history that we see from that time, and also just about the food combinations. Again, so many different areas of food groups were available in that part of the world. So that's where sort of diet culture started. But then it wasn't until the nineteenth century where there was an actual desire to change your body type based on what you eat.
Speaker 4: Did that have to do with.
Speaker 3: The the sort of advertising total alog we had newspapers and things that were we were advertising more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we actually had more things to compare ourselves to and to sort of aspire to be. And so there was this need and desire for the change of your body. So people were trying to find solutions, and solutions aren't popular unless they can say that they're quick. So we had methods like calorie counting come out, which you know, calorie counting doesn't tell you anything about the value of the food or what you're actually eating, right, So I could make the most ideal plate for you, filled with you know, healthy fats and protein and healthy carbohydrates and all the things, and I could make that the same amount of calories as something that's not very good for you. So again it just doesn't it doesn't tell you what value you're getting from the food. And then you actually started to see diet pills, which were all sorts of you know, dangers associated with those Back in the day and still to this day.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean the fifties and sixties that was you know, dexadrine was keeping everyone going exactly and so then and.
Speaker 1: Is it like was it were those like laxatives or was it like the dream was speak basically yeah, ye speed okay, so people yeah, okay, but.
Speaker 2: They were marketed as great a diet appetite.
Speaker 3: You're like, well, yeah, that's that's the point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, so there we are. They're a wide variety of those.
Speaker 5: And then and then weight Watchers, you know, jumping to the sixties. So weight Watchers was founded inteen nineteen sixty three, and it was the first diet to actually provide before and after photos. And so I think this is a key piece in like where we got you know, how did we get there in the eighties and nineties, because we weren't really given the idea of here's what you look like now, and here's what you could look like after you do this thing, right, and so we began romanticizing that after photo, and people kind of took that to the next level because you don't know what that after photo is going to look like. So what do you picture? You picture this standard that we are being fed. And I think that was a really key part in diet culture because it did. To start, you started to see this desire for thinness and this sort of one size fits all.
Speaker 4: Sort of prototype of that.
Speaker 5: So then of course big food kind of capitalized on that and you started seeing South Beached diet and slim Fast and all of these.
Speaker 2: You know, remember Mom Susan Powder and her white hair. Stop the insanity.
Speaker 3: I mean that was, like, you know, it was everywhere for Oprah was constantly like losing weight and gaining it, and everyone would criticized, and then she'd lose it and then she I mean it was we were just well.
Speaker 1: Do you remember was it on her show she wheeled out in on like a wagon the amount of weight she lost, which I don't know if it was sixty pounds eighty pounds of animal fat, like she rolled that out onto the stage as the visual of just how much weight she had lost. And that's just that image just stays and stays in your head. Yeah, crazy, So anyway, sorry, it didn't men, she didn't at all.
Speaker 5: This is all relevant, So it's yeah, that was that's basically like the cliff notes of of I think the trajectory that got DJ to actually opening that magazine. It's like when in Devil Wars Prada when Meryl Streep explains the evolution of her blue sweater. You know, so it's it is important to kind of think about like how did we get here? And yeah, so that's what she was being fad what and it's so no, go go.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, it's so it's so relatable even to Jody and I as we were watching that episode. I mean, we're in our forties and we still feel like when DJ says I don't like the way I look like, that is so for so many women, so many and it doesn't just women, anybody of any age. It's just it's so relatable to want to make your body look a different way. And in DJ's case, it was to fit in because she was going to a pool party where her friends were going to be and she's like, I don't want to wear a bikini in front of people unless I lose however much weight she wanted to lose, and it's it's relatable and sad, but that's why this is such an important episode for for people to watch.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that, you know, Kimmy was pretty oblivious in this situation. We love Kimmy, but sometimes she's a little unaware. She was very she was not helpful. She was like this, I got the smallest bikini possible, right, But like, how could Kimmy or a friend at that age maybe be a little more aware or ask the right questions or you know, because I know, you know, my kids have had friends and you know, struggled with struggling with food stuff, and it's always they don't quite know what to say.
Speaker 2: Or how to support or how to be helpful.
Speaker 3: And it is it's such a time of like different body types, you know.
Speaker 5: It is, it is, And I think that's an advantage of this generation, right, I mean, something that I see is like this, you know, And I don't want to say assume that it's confidence, right because confidence can be can sort of be a facade when we see it on social media or whatever. But even just comparing like our home videos to like our choreographed spice girl dances to like the tiktoks I see, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, this is the next level confone.
Speaker 3: The play is my cousins and I used to put on making up our own stupid songs and now I'm like, these kids are putting on like full on music videos.
Speaker 5: Yes, and so I think, you know, there is this celebration of individuality now, which is great. But I think, you know, as far as how Kimmy reacted and said like, oh, I just need a donut, and you know, whatever you had said was was very funny. And I think it's also because that your food story wasn't a big part of your life. It was you know, it was not something that you maybe consumed your thoughts like it did DJ. And so I think now, you know, as a teenager to teenager, I think it's important to just maybe ask more questions, you know, why do you feel like that? And maybe yeah, point out those red flags, but not in a way that's accusatory, because that can also be you know, someone I personally had an eating disorder, and you never want to feel like someone is accusing you of something, even if you're still doing it right of.
Speaker 3: Course, because you're just like no, no, how dare you?
Speaker 4: And then exactly and then try not to provide a solution.
Speaker 5: And I do think that that's important again kind of back to the Becky's comments about a meal plan Jesse's comments about, well, you just have to exercise.
Speaker 4: And maybe just provide them a safe.
Speaker 5: Space to express express their their needs. But if you see like serious signs, then you know somebody does need professional help.
Speaker 1: Yes, Stephanie's the only one that saw the signs and spoke up about it. You know, that was It's almost as important an episode for Stephanie as it is for dj.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a great sister episode about that. Sometimes when you really love somebody, you have to tell on them in order to keep them safe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And then you know you saw the overconditioning at the gym, and I think that was another another really interesting thing about like the extremes is a big sign, right, the extremes of what you're seeing. You see the whole group going to the gym, and everybody's sort of like having fun with it, and that's what that's what health should be, is fun.
Speaker 3: If you can't wear suspender and you're to the gym, I don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: That's say.
Speaker 5: The audios are like a whole other podcast episode.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, it was so wild.
Speaker 1: Jody and her suspenders at the gym.
Speaker 3: Good, Well, you know, if I get a little crazy, you know, on my my lead hard and falling down.
Speaker 2: You got to hold those things up.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: And then also like the outfits that they got Michelle to wear a side note, like having a toddler, I'm like, how on earth did those girls just.
Speaker 4: Roll with it?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, the commentary that we have about Michelle is basically on her own all the time and manages to get herself dressed in these outfits and everyone she walks into her room and everyone's like, oh my gosh, I Michelle, Oh look at you ready, But you're like, this kid has leg warmers, tights, a leotard.
Speaker 2: You know, she has like.
Speaker 4: A whole team working for her.
Speaker 3: They and well when she's taking time off of her you know, important therapy sessions that she's giving to every adult in the house because Michelle really solves all the problems.
Speaker 5: So oh my gosh. And when she went in on that cake, that was also like everyone's reaction. I could tell everyone was trying so hard not to laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, trying hard not to laugh.
Speaker 3: Also at the absurdity of it, Like we're just standing here and letting the toddler cawl on table the cake.
Speaker 4: Okay, so good, joke's got to work anyways.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the no, the and I was going to.
Speaker 3: Say, like the the overconditioning and the overtraining.
Speaker 2: I mean that's something that.
Speaker 3: We I've seen in people my age and adults, you know, who are like, oh, I've got to you know, I have to lose this weight in this amount of time, So I'm gonna absolutely push myself and kill myself to do it. And you know, the body doesn't work that way, like you might lose some water weight. But you know, maybe we can talk a little bit about like how why that doesn't work and why if you, you know, want to keep.
Speaker 2: Your body healthy, like doing stuff like these.
Speaker 3: Crash diets and this overtraining and all of this really actually doesn't help your body function at its best.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, I think the first thing to kind of explain is the concept of bio individuality, which I think everybody needs to know what it is, because it takes so much pressure off of you to think like, oh, because if you've spent your whole life sayingle I've just you know, every diet has failed me, nothing works for me. Why because does this person do something and look like that, and I've tried it and it didn't work. So bioindividuality is the concept that every single body is biologically different and therefore requires different foods and different types of movements in.
Speaker 4: Order to thrive.
Speaker 5: And it really makes a whole lot of sense because think about even just the three of us in this zoom room, you know, think about where we came from. They were all different places. So everybody has different genetics, different ancestry, different environmental factors. Some people are living closer to you know, certain things that could be sparking histamine reactions. There's also lifestyle factors, you know, do you how active are you? What is your stress level? Like all of those things. It's not just food and exercise. All of those things factor into how your body processes, processes everything. And so once you understand that you are uniquely you and different and therefore require different things, you can kind of take yourself out of this, like check all of these boxes in order to be healthy. So I think it's about finding what works for you, and a lot of that requires you to listen to your body and to respond to the cues that it's giving you. So so much of diet culture tells you to ignore the signs that your body is giving you, whether that be hunger you know, oh I'm not supposed to be hungry, or I'm going.
Speaker 3: To dread a lot until this time, right, yeah, exactly, or even fads like intermittent fasting.
Speaker 5: You are following these rules and ignoring maybe hunger at nine am, you know.
Speaker 4: And so I think.
Speaker 5: It's again just important to understand what your body is telling you and do that eating when you're hungry. And sometimes it's the simplest things that I will tell people and they're like, oh, yeah, I guess I should be eating when I'm hungry and not waiting until.
Speaker 3: Well, I know, when I wait, I make really poor food decisions, Like if I'm a little bit hungry, I'm like, oh, I could have something good for me. The hungrier I get, the more I'm like, I don't care what it is, fried, whatever, just shove it in my face.
Speaker 2: I'll eat it, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's like keeping your body to sort of that regular like routine.
Speaker 2: And I mean yesterday I was like, I don't think I've eaten in eight hours.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like not a good Dame day, I know, but it was like going all over.
Speaker 3: Sorry I had to tell myself, but it was like one of those days and I was like, oh, yeah, this, you know, I this is not how I like to routinely treat my body.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's that's just a result of low blood sugar and when we when we wait too long to eat, our blood sugar dips and we become shaky and irritable.
Speaker 4: And that's where that hungry term comes from.
Speaker 5: And our body just craves quick car quick carbohydrates and usually the form of exactly French fries. So not that French fries can't exist in a in you know, a healthy week, but yeah, so it's it's about finding what works for your body and like I said, listening to your cues and eating a wide variety of things, you know, lots of different colors on your plate, and always making sure you know you have a source of protein and it doesn't have to look like a like a chicken breast with steamed broccoli.
Speaker 4: You know, we're not going for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Beggy's suggestion was like, no, just some boiled chicken and some white rice, and I was like, no, no, thank you. Steam right, I might as well have an ice pop with all that flavor. You know, it's just not I mean, don't don't. I'm not suggesting that, but I but like, you know, there are That was the one thing that I really learned when you and I were working together was like, healthy food can still taste great, and you can still get the little cravings that you want if you're willing to kind of swap out this for this, or make a substitution, or make it dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, well you know whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: Like, Yeah, I learned so much of that from you. And colorful food, yeah, and that food.
Speaker 5: There are some good beige foods, but exactly what you said, figuring out, you know, what do you enjoy to eat and how can we make that a little healthier. And then when you do want to have, like when you want to go to the restaurant and have like the real deal, the best form of it, you do that with intention and you enjoy it, and you're not in your head the whole time, and you don't allow your decisions tomorrow to be dictated by that meal. You know, just just be in the moment and enjoy it and surround yourself with people that you love.
Speaker 4: When you eat.
Speaker 5: You know, that's another thing I think, you know, back to your question about like what friends can do, what family can do, is just make make eating a happy thing, and whether that means cooking more together in the kitchen or just trying to have more family meals or friend meals where you're having meaningful conversation, and that's associating a positivity with that meal, because if you ate that meal by yourself after a really hard day and you are just in your head the whole time, your body is going to process that meal very differently than if you were relaxed and you were.
Speaker 4: You know, in the moment and really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I find too, I tend to stuff my face less and eat past the point of being stated when I eat like alone, or when I wait too long to eat, like you know, I have a much healthier like Oh no, I think I'm actually like listen like you said, listening to those body signals where you're like, oh no, I actually I'm done. I only ate like half of this and I'm full. But sometimes left to my own devices, I'm like, no, my taste.
Speaker 2: Buds are bored. They need more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like how you mentioned intentional eating, because I think we tend to get into habits of like, oh, it's late at night. You know, dinner was a few hours ago, but I'm going to sit on the couch and watch a show and eat my comfort food, whatever that is, if it's chips or ice cream or whatever. What's your advice for like breaking that pattern? Or I don't know what's the solution to that. Like if someone says, well, you know, I Automi crave ice cream at nine o'clock every night, what, like, what's your advice for that?
Speaker 5: I think it's about really thinking about why you're making that choice a lot of times and I hear that same thing, ice cream at nine right, and listen, when we're watching Netflix, we want something to eat, Like that's it's it's a nice ritual, and I can I can fully admit that, but I think it's important to realize, Okay, why am I doing that every night?
Speaker 4: Is it because it's what I do? Is it because I've been restricting myself during the day in order to do that at night?
Speaker 5: Is it because I'm stressed and that's my time to feel okay? And once you identify the root of a habit like that, it can be easier to I don't want to say break the habit because breaking the habit has such a negative connotation and negativity about like.
Speaker 4: Well, that makes ice cream bad and it doesn't.
Speaker 5: It's taking the idea of it and why you're doing it and maybe making that a little different. So if it's simply a restriction thing, that could be affecting your blood sugar and therefore you actually are really hungry and craving that, so can you eat more during the day and maybe eat more balanced during the day so that after dinner you feel more satisfied and maybe you physically won't crave that at nine, or maybe it's something you do like on the weekends, because that becomes a more of a special tradition. So in asking yourself, am I even enjoying this? And I know that was something that Jody and I worked on a lot, is just to stop and pause, like do I even want this?
Speaker 4: Or am I just doing this? Because this is what I do.
Speaker 3: I constantly go to the pantry and I'm like, am I hungry?
Speaker 2: Or am I bored? And a lot of times the answer is I'm just bored.
Speaker 3: Like I literally am like just kind of in the house and I'm like, I guess I'll go eat a cookie, you know, like it's and it's never like, oh, I think I'll go have a cucumber, you know.
Speaker 2: Now it's like I'm bored.
Speaker 3: Therefore I want sugar fat some sort of you know, something to entertain my brain and taste buds. And so many times when I just pause and ask that question, like you actually don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not really hungry for you know, a bowl of Swedish fish, yeah, and maybe three or four balance yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it puts you in the driver's seat.
Speaker 5: I think people feel out of control, and it seemed that DJ was feeling out of control in this whole episode.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like I like, I don't make these decisions. These decisions are made for me.
Speaker 5: And that when you when you feel like you're in control and you feel like you are are intentionally and mindfully making choices, you might make choices differently.
Speaker 4: And I think that's just something to to sort of keep in mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to think of other shows around that time that did any you know, I feel like that was probably Facts of Life or so, you know, at some point the shows did uh, other ones, But I'm trying to think of any others that really dealt with like a young teenager kind of going through this, because.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really like it was.
Speaker 3: It was a difficult subject to sort of talk about, you know, and to do it in the right way. And I you know, of course, thirty plus years later, we're like, well, this should have been the way you handle it. But where do you think we've gone as far as like going from the diet culture of the nineties to now the we were kind of in the like everybody's great whatever, and then we found ozempic and then everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh wait, finally the magic thing.
Speaker 3: Do you see us and you know, of course mentioning social media, but do you see us kind of going backwards a little bit?
Speaker 2: Or are are we having more.
Speaker 3: Realistic conversations about it, like in your line of work?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's a really great question, and it's I feel like a very complicated answer because it's nuanced. But I do think.
Speaker 4: We're sort of experiencing both.
Speaker 5: I like I had mentioned the pendulum, I think the ozempic craze has definitely swung the pendulum in the other direction. Obviously this drug is used for people who have underlying conditions and there is a need for that.
Speaker 4: I think the problem.
Speaker 5: Becomes when it becomes a solution for then for so many people, and now again we're kind of back to the quick fix and not figuring out what our body needs to thrive and something that we can maintain.
Speaker 4: For years and years.
Speaker 5: But on the other hand, if we weren't, if we weren't looking for quick fixes, the diet industry would implode, and there's so much money there, so it's so complicated. But I do see so much more body positivity language in TV now. You see many more different body types being cast, which is great, and you also just see a little bit more conversation about eating disorders and just kind of putting it out there and even us having this conversation today.
Speaker 4: It definitely isn't tiptoed around.
Speaker 5: Maybe like it was when that episode was made, when the Full House episode was made. But I think social media has also taken us backwards with that because of the way in which we're able to curate things and edit things so much. Like obviously tabloids and fashion magazines were edited in their own way, but now we scroll and for a young mind, they're not going to say, well, I think that's edited, right.
Speaker 4: You know, my kids never thought.
Speaker 2: They were like no, but they look so good. I was like, that is not real.
Speaker 3: Look at that's not even look at the way that the picture goes.
Speaker 2: In the background. That's not a real human you know.
Speaker 3: But you can't you can't tell them that because they're like, no, everything is real, right.
Speaker 4: And the filters too.
Speaker 5: I mean again, looking at our photos from teenage years, I'm like, we did not have filters.
Speaker 3: No, no, so so I yeah, it's I hope that we continue to go in.
Speaker 5: I mean, I hope that a path to more of a balanced way of looking at it and more of a celebrating everybody's uniqueness is out there. But I think it's it's just going to take a long time. And it goes back to everybody's individual story around food and what you're going to do with that, how you're going to identify that, and how you're going to work on that in your own way that works for you.
Speaker 3: Got it? Yeah, I mean food is one of the hardest things to sort of regulate and keep balanced because you know, there's emotional eating, there's you know, all sorts of things that we use food for that have nothing to do with running our bodies. And it's one of those really complicated things. It's not like you cannot eat right, you have to eat. So it's a constant thought that you want to make, not a constant thought. And you know, like there's so much, like you said, nuance and sort of balance to it, and different people struggle in different ways and with different severity of it, you know. I know, for me, it can be easy to be like, oh, just you know, I'll have a cheeseburger and some fries and then like you know, go work out or whatever, and like for some people that works, and for some people it doesn't. And it's all about being like, well, okay, how do we support each other in our food journeys?
Speaker 5: Totally, And I think we have also a unique challenge in this country with the fact that our culture is so fast paced and so hustle first, that we have created all of these convenient options that people sometimes feel like they have no other choice but to indulge in because the availability. But you go to other countries and you don't see that people are eating more locally, they are taking more breaks to actually sit down and eat.
Speaker 4: It's why you see cafe or.
Speaker 3: They have a three hour meal and it'll you know, and they're like no, no, no, sit relax right We're like, are we done?
Speaker 2: We go get the jacky righty.
Speaker 5: It's just a different way, it's a different culture, it's a different way of a different set of priorities, and here, unfortunately, food is not a priority for a lot of people, and that sort of perpetuates this struggle of how am I going to how do I know what's a healthy meal when I have all of these options, in all of these ads being thrown at me that I could just eat this and be thin. So it's complicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you could rewrite the Shape Up episode and air it today, what changes would you make in that episode? Not to put you on the spot, but I have an answer to this too, So.
Speaker 2: That's a really just like hold on, let me get my script that I wrote. Now. I've been waiting for this moment for years now.
Speaker 5: I mean, gosh, I did have a notebook out when I was watching it, and I did cry at the end.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie, but the crying was like, oh, for a.
Speaker 5: Lot of reasons, but still I was just like, man, this really got me. First of all, I wouldn't rewrite Steph's part because again I was like, very proud of her and just for like, you know, speaking up and just being concerned. I would, certainly, I think the most the most part, and this is just because I'm a parent now, is to rewrite the adult script, you know, maybe having more of a check on how they talk about their own bodies, right, because the transfer of stress from adults who child is real, and especially when it comes to food, and so I think I would.
Speaker 4: I would rewrite how they explained.
Speaker 5: What healthy is and how and how to obtain that, and to also celebrate her for who she is before any changes more.
Speaker 4: So, that's that's the main thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm trying to think of specific he told me, I would have come with a full stress.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I kidding. I wish they had made Kimmy well, not so oblivious, but I wish they had at the end or maybe throughout. Okay, I haven't really thought through this yet, but I wish they had at the end revealed that Kimmy also feels self conscious about her body too. Yeah, I understand the point of Kimmy. It was to be held up as, oh, Kimmy's skinny. Kimmy has the perfect body, and DJ wants to look like that. But I felt so uncomfortable being that thin as a fourteen year old girl. For as much as you know, Candae was self conscious about her chipmunk cheeks, I was self conscious about how skinny I was on my chicken legs because that didn't feel right either. And so you know, Kimmy's confident and she's oblivious. But I wish they had kind of revealed at the end that, you know what, Kimmy is just as insecure as DJ too. It's just that Thinness was held up as the prototype to you know, the dream to achieve, and it's like, no, it's not. You know, everybody feels self conscious about something, even though you look different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would have been a really great moment to see because I think it would have kind of leveled the playing field and reminded DJ and the audience that, like, nobody escapes from this sort of you know of self consciousness, and you know, whether you're skinny, or whether you think you're not the right body type or whatever, Like we all stand in the mirror.
Speaker 2: And go, oh, I wish this was different, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's hard, but yeah, that would have been a great addition if Kimmy was like you think, I like, yeah, I don't. This is weird for me too, like I don't look like you know, these other super model types like you know, and that's everybody's experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that too, and it's so true.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think teenagers also they compare themselves to what's closest to them and sometimes that that is your closest circle of friends, and I can relate. And my best friend and hig school was like very similar body type to Kimmy, like very very skinny, and I remember I was like, she has that all.
Speaker 2: But there were.
Speaker 5: Conversations looking back that I remember where she she had other insecurities And it doesn't have to be weight, right, it's like whatever. Like for DJ, the weight was was the was the front and center of her insecurity.
Speaker 4: But like you said, it was something completely different for you.
Speaker 5: And we are our own worst critic, and well, boy, everybody has something going on, right.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, the worst Roger and Ebert in my head, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Terrible reviews.
Speaker 1: Well, I also think about the the teenagers or the young girls that were watching this episode back in nineteen ninety and just thinking, you know, anytime Candice watches some old episode and she's like, oh, I can't watch that episode because I just, you know, I look I hated the way I looked, and I'm like, but so many girl looked up to you, you know, and thought that DJ is who I want to be, you know, And there was nothing wrong with her. She was not overweight, she wielling, she had nothing to change. But by doing this episode and DJ revealing you know, my chipmunk cheeks or you know, whatever the words were that she used, and thought, what message is that sending to the girls at home that want to look like DJ? Right, it just breaks my heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: I have a question for you too. Do you remember conversations like did anybody think like, wow, this this episode is making me think about myself? Or what were the conversations like as a kid on set during that time.
Speaker 3: I know, because I also was kind of like Andrea.
Speaker 2: I was like little twig person for a lot of my youth.
Speaker 3: I think that was also a dynamic between probably the three of us, between you and me. You know, it was like that was something I think that also probably affected Candice and that I you know, and I definitely felt where I was like, oh, this is just you know again like kind of who I you know, you're just sort of that's just the body I got. But I don't remember having like specific conversations, but I definitely, you know, you feel sort of the like, oh, well, you know, it's you're a you know, chicken legs or you're the you know, and and as a kid, you don't necessarily pick up on it, but you do sort of feel like, oh, I there's something here that I don't yeah that like maybe we're comparing each other or whatever.
Speaker 1: I never spoke up about it. I didn't speak up about how uncomfortable I felt in some of the costumes that were form fitting, or my uncomfortability with my thinness and in this in this case of this episode, it's because I had a role to play, and it was Kimmy being the thin one that DJ aspired to be, and so I'm not going to be like, wait, what about me? You know, I'm not comfortable with this. I didn't speak up because I wanted to be, you know, a team player and this happened like like a seasons later, there's an episode where Jesse has a dream sequence where he's balding and he's got a pot belly and he's in a he's like a mechanic in a shop, right, and he's married to Kimmi Gibbler, who now looks like Peg Bundy with that little you know that little The outfit the cinched wasst still, the high heels and the leopard skin top, and it was so form fitting. I remember doing I came out. The producers wanted to do like a fit check, like they wanted to see what I looked like with this outfit on so they could make changes if necessary. And so I remember walking out into the living room set in front of all of these writers and producers and then looking at me and feeling so self conscious about it because people asked my mom after that, they said, is there a problem? Does Andrew have a problem with anorexia? And I felt so bad about myself because I'm like, great, I can't control weight, I can't eat more like, I don't want to look this way, but I do, and now people think there's something wrong with me, and asking out of genuine concern you know is is andre Anarexik. I think there was even a rumor on the internet at one point that I died of anorexia, and I'm like, no, I was just a gangly teenager. I was just a little you know, I was just a little rail thin squirt. But yeah, I felt really uncomfortable and I never spoke up about it. I never spoke up about it because I felt that I also felt that because thin equaled good and not thin equaled bad, I'm like, well, what, I can't speak up because I am what people are aspiring to be. I don't know. It was just a weird, a weird mind, to be honest, and really it really was. With all the mixed messages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't you know, we've talked about too like I don't think any of the producers, I think everyone really did try to have these conversations as delicately that they're never easy, and it's not easy when it's amongst your family, you know what I mean, let alone, You're like, I'm a teenager and I'm gonna go out and stand there and have people comment on it.
Speaker 2: Does this look right? Is this too tight? Is this that you know? And it still happens.
Speaker 3: I've done many a movie where you know, I've come out and they're like, we need to I don't know is the sweater or too tight and you're literally standing.
Speaker 2: There like.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're just gonna have like a conversation like I'm not here about how I look like.
Speaker 2: It's a weird. It's a weird business to be.
Speaker 3: In at any age to feel sort of picked apart, but to do it as young teenagers when you feel like you don't there's no winning.
Speaker 5: You know, it's true, and I don't think people are equipped to approach the subject. It has become such a taboo thing. But that reminds me of I think what also can perpetuate this problem is, you know, everyone has that relative where you go to a to a holiday and they the first thing that they say is something about your weight, whether you've lost weight, you've you've gained weight, you know, And sometimes it's it's a cultural thing. Sometimes it's just that that's an insecurity that they have. But those comments start to add up for people. And even just hearing you ladies talk about what it's like in a fitting. You sometimes can brush it off, but those can those can sort of stick too, worse sponges and the words that people speak to us matter. And if someone says, if a relative says that to you one year, the next year, you're going to be waiting to hear, well, did they say anything?
Speaker 4: Does that mean the opposite? It's it's just.
Speaker 3: An our friend in high school who really struggled with an eating disorder, and it started because her grandmother. It was a very cultural thing, but her grandmother would try and put her hands around her waist and if she would, you know, and she'd be like, oh, getting too you know, and and.
Speaker 2: That was just sort of common.
Speaker 3: And she really really suffered through as she had to take the last year off of high school and stuff.
Speaker 2: It was really sad.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it you know, that's it starts as a little comment here or a little thing, and you just start building, you know, sort of this perpetuating idea inside.
Speaker 5: That's how mine started as well, was was comments made, and it's yeah, it's just I think a reminder for people to just not comment about someone's weight. And maybe we'll have to give producers a little masterclass.
Speaker 4: To describe a costume other way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And I mean it is you know, there's sort of again this is this business is like we you have to have these conversations because it's sort of relevant to your job.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you're like, this is such a weird thing to be relevant to my job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, human being, my sweater or the yeah, like you know, the do I look too skinny as a teenager?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 3: It is, like it is, it's hard, And I think watching this episode for me, I think the hardest part of it was knowing how much Candace really did struggle with feeling that she didn't like herself and didn't like the way she looked, and uh, it just it was so And I said this when we did our recap, I said, it was so hard to watch because it felt.
Speaker 2: So personal in a way, like it felt like.
Speaker 3: Those of us that knew her, like it felt like, I don't know, almost invasive, like it felt like, oh God, this is something that I know she's.
Speaker 2: Really struggling with.
Speaker 3: And it was almost weird to like put it out there, but also important.
Speaker 2: So but that was I think for me. I like, I watched that and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: Candace is a client of mine as well, and watching it.
Speaker 4: I hadn't watched that episode since.
Speaker 5: Working with her in that capacity, and I definitely had a different set of of viewing glasses on, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Man, this is part This is a part of her story. You know, it's an important.
Speaker 2: Part well for all of our listeners out there.
Speaker 3: I'm just so glad that we got to have like an important, real conversation about this, and obviously that it was with you because we love you, you guys. But you know, if you guys, if someone is listening out there who's like, oh, I just wish I was this, it won't change your life.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make everything better.
Speaker 3: New things come up no matter what you look like, no matter what the outside presentation is. And you know, I try to remind my girls all the time, like you get one, You get one body in this like you you come in with your little peanutshell and that's what you got. So learn to make peace with it and enjoy it and support it as much as you can because it's not going anywhere, and that self battle is miserable.
Speaker 1: That's such good advice, it really is. Mel Where can people find you online or offline? How can people get a hold of you or learn more? About you and live well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so my personal instagram is at Choose Well with Mel, and the business that Melissa and I have is called Live Well, Lead Well, and both of those are on Instagram, and our.
Speaker 4: Website is.
Speaker 5: Live Well, Lead Well dot us and there you can find we offer retreats and seminars. We're going to be doing a live seminar in Michigan next month or this maybe this month, depending on the when this episode comes up with February nineteen, if anyone is in the Metro Detroit area and wants to come see us in person, We're going to be doing a seminar at Imagine Theaters. And we also do webinars and all sorts of stuff, including a newsletter every month that has you know, recipes and lifestyle tips and just some updates about what we've been up to.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's that's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: Well, fan Urrito's go check out mel Samuels and Live Well, Lead Book because they really are just amazing with what they've done and how they how they talk about food and health and all of the stuff that is super important that maybe we don't have the words for.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, Yeah, you're doing such important work it's so important. Yeah, and you're you're changing lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, you've had an impact directly on my life. My mom's Candice is like so many people around you, So thank you.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I love you both so much, and we love you so great.
Speaker 2: This was so great.
Speaker 3: Go attend to sick baby, and we'll have to we'll plan another porch talk time here pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, yes, we'll shut down another restaurant, right, Yeah, we're so good, we really are.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's it's it's a talent.
Speaker 3: So all right, mel Well, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 5: We love you, we love thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Bye, absolutely by, thanks bye, love.
Speaker 2: I do too. She's so.
Speaker 3: Eloquent in the way that she is able to speak about health and food and all of that. I just it's yeah, I just really respect her for what she does.
Speaker 1: She's whip smart and she's so empathetic, and that is a great combination, yeah, for a nutritionist and a coach. And I'm so glad she joined us. This was such an important episode and I just wanted to dig a little bit deeper and continue that conversation. And Melanie was the perfect person.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely well, thank you fan ritos for joining us for another fun episode. Well, I don't know about fun, but an important episode, very special episode brought to you by how Rude Tanrito's. Uh. If you want to find us on Instagram, make sure you're following the podcast at how Rude Podcasts, or you can send us an email at how Rude Tannerto's at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Did it? I did it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And uh, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Can send us emails let us know how you guys like in the episode's thoughts, comments, whatevers, and also like and subscribe to the podcast wherever you're listening to it, so you can of.
Speaker 2: Course get the newest episodes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, give us some ratings, love, give us some stars. You know, doesn't hurt doesn't hurt you, doesn't hurt us.
Speaker 1: We love stars.
Speaker 2: We love stars. And you know what else, we love merch, So make sure we have merch.
Speaker 3: So make sure you're also checking out how rudemerch dot com where we've got some fun T shirts and sweatshirts and all kinds of stuff on there. And if you have, you know, ideas or suggestions for any new merch.
Speaker 2: We are welcome to.
Speaker 1: Those two oh yes, so yeah.
Speaker 3: We will see you next time for another episode of how rude Tannerto's And remember the world is small, but the house is perfectly sized in comparison to itself. It doesn't really matter. The world can be small, the world can be big. It's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well the small and that's okay. The house might be full and that's okay too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I love it. Perfect Chef's kiss Fu