Speaker 1: A a A good a mate. That's the terrible Australian accent. Neverline.
Speaker 2: You know what's so crazy. When I got there, I was like, so, where you guys accents and everybody was like, yeah, no, one really talks like that quite. It's definitely has like you know, you hear like a little undertone of that, but the typical Australian doesn't. For as far as what folks told me, their accent is not quite that thick and heavy. That's just extra exaggerated or there's certain I guess it's like more less cosmopolitan that accent.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, that's really disappointing, though they don't all sound like Steve irwin.
Speaker 2: Ke's Crocodile Dundee. I was waiting put some striper on the bobby.
Speaker 1: They were like, no, don't embarrass myself.
Speaker 2: I know, I had an awesome time. I mean, so I went to Australia because I had awesome opportunity. Drina who is my awesome publicist but also my bff. Her client. His name is Patrice Colors and Patrice is one of the co founders. There's three women that founded Black Lives Matter. Woman named Operal, a woman named Malitia and Patrice and so the Sydney Peace Prize, which is super prestigious, I mean people, amazing people have won that Peace Prize. They decided to honor the Black Lives Matter Network and like that's what you know. So one of the founders was able to make it, and so she came to accept the Peace Prize on behalf of Black Lives Matter. So that was just really awesome to kind of see that and kind of see, you know, what that movement looks like from behind the scenes. And it was really really interesting to meet, you know, a co founder. I mean, well one Patresea is just so chilling, down to earth it's and fun, but actually see her doing the work. Like we'd go to her hotel and we'd be hanging out, but then a crisis would happen and you would see her and to like organizer mode, this is what we need to do, you know. So it was just really honestly, the work that she and the whole network are doing is nothing short of amazing on behalf of all brown people. So that's what yeh. Yeah, it was huge, Honestly, it was. It was such a pleasure because it was like I got to see like touristy Sydney. But then I also got to see this other side, like they want to go visit like different Aboriginal camps and like, you know, like, so, what's happening here with your brown people? How can we how can we you know, be of service to that? You know, what do you want us to share with our brown folks of what's happening here. I didn't realize that less than three percent of Australia's population is brown, And it wasn't untill like I didn't really notice as much because I grew up in like an all white town. But it wasn't until like Drina kept saying, She's like, we're like literally the only black people in the airport. I was like, no, yes, we are. That happened every single place we went, literally not one brown faith. I was actually pretty surprised, you know, because Sydney it's it's like clean New York, so it's pretty cosmopolitan, very little diversity by way of brownness. So there were definitely a lot of Asians, so there was a lot of Chinese thie, but as far as like Aboriginal or black folks or whatever, it was next to nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, the country did a really good job of like exterminating. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, we we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Yeah, that's what that was. That was a hard conversation to hear about over and over again, like because we would go to these different events where they were honoring her and then kind of like sharing their story of what's happen happening to them there, and it sounds honestly, it's the same treatment here that brown folks get, and you're just like, wow, what is that that? You know, what what is that that? I don't know, what is it that it causes folks to treat brown folks in a way, And here like the police brutality stories, dying in custody stories, a young driver killed three Aboriginal kids and they blamed the kids that were killed, like, oh, they shouldn't have been in a way. I mean it's yeah. Honestly, at the end, I told Patries, I don't even know how. It was too much. There were times when I was like I'm not going to go to that event because it was too much Emotionally. I don't know how she carries all of that with her. I don't know how, honestly, Like it's it's heartbreaking, it's soul breaking. And I told her that she and her team are uniquely qualified to do the work because I couldn't. I do the work, but not in that way. I could not take on all of that. It's too much.
Speaker 1: I think it takes a really special human, like the same the same types of humans who do social work or or any anywhere. We're just like inundated with these horrific situations. Were children and people who were like, uh, marginalized and don't have rights, and their human rights are being taken away from them like all the time. Those it takes a real special person. I'm glad for those types of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part was cool.
Speaker 1: So about the kangaroos, yes, oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, so I told myself because it was like because I what I tried to do was like because I did a lot of stuff. You know, Drina was off working with Patrice and her team, and so I had a lot of like alone time, which I totally did love because you know, I don't know, I love solo travel. And so I was like, ooh, so every day I try to choose like something really fun and different and epic to do, and so I had not Drina would not allow me to go to the zoo without her. She said, I everything else she could do without me, but if you go to that zoo and I'm not with you, and I see social media and I was like, start it. So it was literally the day before we're gonna leave, and it started to rain. I said, Drina, we're going to the freaking so she was like, oh, it's raining. No, We're going to the zoo. So we went to the zoo and it was everything and more. The kangaroos were they allow you to get really close, like people were like petting them. I was like, yeah, I'm not about that, like, but to see them happy, yes, you could get like they were. I don't know, like this was honestly one of the best dudes I'd ever seen. It wasn't huge, but the animals were like in like basically like open spaces, and those animals that were kind of like, you know, not anti human, you were kind of allowed to like mix and mingle with them. It was very like weird, but very cool. So the kangaroos were just hopping in front of you. People were putting their hands out and they nuzzle your hand like no food get away from me, and I was like, ah, I want to catch one, but I was scared. But they were magnificent and to see them hopping. There was one in particular that was like, oh, he's just showing off and I was like, oh my gosh. And then the koalas. They didn't let you get too close to koalas because I heard they said like the koalas could be like not today, not tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: I've seen some really scary videos of koalas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we were kind of like away, like, oh hey, koala in the tree looking cute, but I'm not getting close. So but drafts, like the chimpanzees were like while and they were introducing some new timpanzees to them, so they were like we don't even know you, why are you here? So they were screaming and help hoooping and hollering, which was awesome. The gorillas, Honestly, it was an awesome, awesome zoo because it wasn't huge, but it was really well curated, so it was and even though it was good, she was like, honestly, the zoo personnel person that was like kind of touring us was like rainy day because it wasn't super rainy. It was more like less than less than rain, it was more than drizzling. She was like, this, these are days are the best days because it tends to get really hot in Australia and the animals don't want to come out. The animals always have a choice of coming going into their kind of like whatever kind of shelter that they have on their their piece of the zoo. And so when she think when it's really hot, they won't come out, they'll just hang out in their shelter. She sees that they like these overcast, drizzly days. So all of the animals were out like hey boo. So it was awesome.
Speaker 1: What did you do any like? Uh, what was like splurs that you made while in Australia.
Speaker 2: Honestly, everything's a freaking splurge. Judy is expensive, it's all hell. I was like, oh, New York, is this you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: An egg sandwich was like fifteen dollars and I'm like, what the heck? Everything the food that was our biggest splurge, like, and it wasn't even that we ate fancy, it was just there there are no cheap eats in central Sydney where we were, so that was the zoo wasn't cheap, so that was kind of a splurish. Everything else honestly, like the tour stuff that we did wasn't super like I always do the big red bus. I love doing that the first day so you can kind of see all the sites that's not cheap cheap, but that wasn't super expensive. I would say even the Opera house was. Actually it was free for the most part, and then we took a tour which was like, I don't know, twenty bucks, which was worth it, but definitely.
Speaker 1: Everything you expected.
Speaker 2: The opera house inside. Yes, the outside, like I said, I was kind of like, yeah, it's not like like we got a close. I was like, this is tanish, but it's.
Speaker 1: What is it the lights they shine on it?
Speaker 2: No, it's the tile, the special made tile for the opera house on the outside that when when the sun hits it, the tire reflex white. But up close the tire was more of like an off white, so it's not this glimmering, super crisp white thing that you would think. But it looks like that from Afar, so it's like really beautiful when we take pictures from Afar, but up closed it's kind of like, oh, this is cute off white tile, you know, off white is kind of like it doesn't have that kind of uh I feel. But in pictures, like I said, it looks amazing, but the opera house on the inside is absolutely amazing. We took a tour about how it was built. It was a great I'm kind of like a when I go to a country or a city, I kind of like to know learn more about the history of how and why and stuff like that. So that was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: My life adventure. Like it was everything and more. I'm glad to be home, Like I was so glad to lay in my bed, like, hey Bet, I miss you.
Speaker 3: Hey Superman, I missed you too.
Speaker 1: I had an exciting time. I mean, you know, life went on while you were on the other side of the world. Lots of stuff happened. Well, we were just in Savannah. I went back to Savannah. They just I just can't quit it this time. I got tricked into going back. I got back well on One of our girlfriends asked if I knew I wanted to do another half marathon. I had done one a couple of years ago and had a really great experience, and I did really well, and I always wanted to do another one. And this girlfriend, you know, back in May or June, was like, yeah, let's do the Savannah Marathon. This is awesome, and like when I say I'm going to do something, I really I'm like, and the tickets are bought, the hotel reservations made a hope you don't take hope, it's no take back seats on this whole plan, and I like, I really commit anyway, so she has anyway, So for various reasons, she had a back out on the half marathon, which was a bummer. So I ended up running it by my lonesome, which is fine, It wasn't that, but but the thing is, like I was kind of it's just been so crazy that I didn't train as as well as I did for my first half marathon. Like I went down there having only run so half marathon is thirteen point one miles and I only run six miles. That's my longest race or my longest run before going down. So I was really I wasn't like nervous, but I was telling myself, like, yeah, I'm just gonna stop at six miles and go get brunch and this is silly, yeah, and this is gonna be a half half marathon and ha ha ha whatever. But then of course, like when I get there and like there's just like when you if you've ever done like a race, like I've done a triathlon and half marathons, like these are just the happiest frickin' people because it's like all the endorphins and they're all hopped up on energy, sports strings and stuff, and like everything is just so infectious. And I was like, I can do this. And I ended up running the entire thing and finishing and I have no idea where I pulled it out of but graduation, thank you.
Speaker 2: So no I saw the pick, So I didn't like that was the Vanna I love Savannah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I went back and we just said for a couple of days, but it was it was painful. I've been like recovering because I mean I finished, but I I like my legs. I was like the one hobbling through the airport on the way back. I could like hardly get up and down, but just makes you want to do another one. And then I came back early early Sunday because I wanted to watch the New York City Marathon like the real marathon because one of my our cousin, I just I just claimed the cousins as my cousins. Now my beloved cousin is Sarah did the New York City Marathon and it was it was amazing. So I always love to like spectate because that is I don't know that something about the New York City Marathon. It just feels like an eight hour parade in New York City. It's so much fun.
Speaker 2: I've heard. I saw like some videos of people posting and Elaine what worth or something like that. She's a exec u h wait, I mustn't say he had grown charge, not that had h you know, h h h.
Speaker 1: Anyway, head bitch in churche.
Speaker 2: No, but she's literally like and I I don't want to refer to Elaine, but she's the editor thing. Yeah, I see, But I almost said, h whatever I see which is the head negro in charge? But I meant to say, I see the editor and editor. I'm sorry, god, I literally am opted up on It's eleven o'clock in Australia. So anyway, I saw I think I made it worse, but I saw her videos and it were like she was there and it was just amazing, like the energy people were playing, like there was jazz being played, live music, kids dancing, people hugging like it just I didn't realize that. It's it's one of those times that the city really gets together, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think it because it is less than a week after that the terrorist attack last week, that it really it felt like it felt more important than ever to go out there and and show that New York spirit. Were you talking about Elaine Wentworth from teen Vogue? Yes, okay, gotcha. Sorry, Yes, she's amazing.
Speaker 2: She is amazing. I feel like she would think that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: I'm like, ah.
Speaker 2: Chow, oh my gosh. Okay, So any other news. I mean, there's much going on. I'm like, what we.
Speaker 1: Have to talk about? Have to do we have to Okay, I'll do it. I'll do the talking if you want.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Because I know, well, tax reform, Yeah, because the Republicans finally put out their tax reform bill and there's a lot of stuff in there that could impact people and your money. They're coming for your money, and so I think, yeah, I think it's important to talk about it. So this is a tax reform plan that is just has just been put out. They haven't actually voted to pass it yet. I think it with the Senate right now, or sorry, the House and then it goes to the Senate. But they're hoping to pass it by Christmas. But there's a lot of stuff in here that could impact people, like they are changing, like the income tax brackets, and I won't take too much time like going in to explain them. Of course, of course, as we do, there's a we have a great graphic I can share for magnifying money that shows you exactly what's changing with the tax brackets. But you can see they've gone from seven tax brackets to just four. And for some people that means they're going to be paying more in taxes, and for some people it means paying less. But some people are losing and some people are winning. And then they're they're they're getting rid of some tax deductions. So of course, when you cut taxes, you have to make up for the lost revenue somehow, and that generally means on the flip side, they're going to remove some tax breaks that people get, especially in the middle class, so things like mortgage interest tax deduction, is going to be out of off the table deductor mortgage interest or see no, that's not eliminated, it's altered. So for newly purchased home the home mortgage intratroduction is lowered to five hundred thousand dollars right now, it's up to one million dollar home values you're going to They're going to reduce the amount you can deduct for medical expenses. So like right now, if you have medical bills that are over like ten percent of your income, you can deduct those expenses. But that's being reduced, reduced or eliminated. Student loan interest rate deduction is being eliminated under tax reform. So wow, right, and.
Speaker 2: The student loans are not a headache enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's a twenty five hundred dollars tax break that's going to be eliminated if this goes into effect. What else In a lot of states, like you know, you pay your state and local income taxes. Republic the Republican tax plan would end the deduction for state and local income taxes. So in states like New York and California where we pay really high state and local income taxes, this plan would no longer allow you to make to claim those as deductions on your taxes. So just some little just some little niggets. Do I have any good news to share from there? It's not all bad. I don't want to be biased. So one of the things, the positive side of things, is that they're not messing with our four to one K contribution limits, like I think we talked about that. There were the rumors that they were going to reduce it from eighteenzy to twenty five hundred or something, but they're not touching it, so that's still going to be there. And the child tax credit has been expanded, so you can now, yeah, the child the child tax credit is up to sixteen hundred dollars per dependent for parents. It's also going to add a three hundred dollars tax credit if you care for a dependent parent like someone like a grandfather or a dependent relative who's not a child, which I think you know is good, especially for families who are who don't just have children who depend on them. Let's see, and I guess that's good news. I mean, you can take a look at this graph. I mean, so right now, if you're in the like, I'll just give an example. So right now, the twenty eight percent and twenty five percent tax brackets have been combined into one single twenty five percent tax bracket. So if you are on the higher end of that, in the twenty eight percent tax bracket, your taxes may be lowered, and then if you're in the twenty five then they won't be changed at all. That's just one example, okay, and that is your tax brief. But it's important. So if you hate this and you want to tell your elected officials, you should absolutely do that because Trumpeto is pushing them to give us a Christmas tax reform bill, so and actually pass this sucker. So speak now or forever hold your piece.
Speaker 2: I see, like I see when I see as far as they have a business side to this tax reform, Like I'm just like looking partently permanently lower the top corporate tax rate to twenty percent from its current thirty five percent. How convenient. I'm not surprised by that. I was wondering, I'm like, well, how does this affect like corporate or because like why why should corporations pay less tax? That doesn't make any sense to that, you know, to me.
Speaker 1: I mean that's like the Republican Republicans have been asking for this for so long. Yeah, I didn't even talk about the corporate side of things, but definitely. I mean that's for that's the GOP platform. Like they want to lower taxes for businesses, and they say that when businesses pay less taxes, they will have more they'll have more room to hire more people, and it will help employment. It's a whole trickle down economic.
Speaker 2: I was going to play that that that President Reagan proved its bull because it did not happen.
Speaker 1: They it just but doesn't it sound good. It sounds just great. And of course the estate tax, so you may have heard of that, but that's basically it's it's a rich people's tax because it's basically an a tax on a giant inheritance. So it's people who are leaving large sums of money to their heirs. And with the tax reform bill, they're going to be doubling this estate tax exemption to nearly eleven million dollars and eventually getting rid of it all together. So that's one more perk for the the super rich, is that they won't have to pay taxes on their giant bequeathments. If that's a word.
Speaker 2: I mean some of it for businesses. I mean, like I own a business, so I'm like, definitely, like I can appreciate some things, but at the same time, I don't mind paying what I should pay so other people can be better. Like one thing, like, well, one thing I see that I do kind of like is that allowing businesses to immediately write off the cost of new equipment rather than depreciating the value. Because that so, for example, I bought a car, like that car that I bought like a couple months ago, and so I bought it under my business name. But it's not like I get to write off the full twenty two thousand dollars like instead, you have to like write it a little bit off a year or something to that effect. On my account was telling me that it's not like woo, you know, like it's slowly but surely you have to appreciate the value of the item. And I'm like, oh, it would be nice to make it simple, like, hey, you bought this thing, it's written off. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if he's able to pass some sort of legislation. So yeah, guess we'll see.
Speaker 1: You're yeah, I mean, it sounds like there's some good stuff I mean, like with any this is a this is a huge deal because they have not there hasn't been a tax hasn't been tax reform for like what three decades now, So it's a it's a huge deal and it's not. I mean, I feel like some people may win, some are definitely going to lose. I don't know. Sure, this feels like whereas they've really failed to repeal Obamacare, this feels like the kind of thing where they might actually succeed. Yeah, a change is Yeah. What else? Oh, it's open enrollment season if you have Obamacare or any health plan. It's open enrollment season for I have to get on my I have I'm not going to miss the window this time, you know, miss the window? Yes, get on that good government insurance for my husband's insurance. Yeah. So anyway, if they only I don't know if I feel like the windows get shorter every year, Like our company only gave us what ten business days I think to pick a plan and get everything settled. And the Obamacare enrollment period also is a lot shorter this year. You only have until December fifteenth, and they're not doing the extended windows like they did before, where you could I think they used to be able to pick a plan as late as like the end of February, maybe March first even, But so if you have Obamacare, you need to sign up December fifteenth.
Speaker 2: There's some great tools you can use, Like there's a tool it's free called policy Genius. I remember, like I used that the last time that I signed up. What I liked about it is that because I'm not gonna lie the whole like the website for healthcare dot gov or whatever was confusing, and so policy genius they don't sell health insurance. It was just it made it easy because I just kind of put in what I needed and they're like, okay, girl, this is the three policies you should look into. And when you clicked on it, it took me to where that was on the website, you see what I mean. So I liked it because it was just an easy tool to kind of help me navigate when I was feeling confused. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great tool. Yeah, I remember sending up for my dad.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: On that sad and bright side, a lot of health insurance. Health insurance have been exiting the markets in some states, so some people may not even have that many options to choose choose from which, on the one hand, makes things easier, but on the other hand, may make may make it that your plans are more expensive because when there's less competition, plans premiums tend to be more expensive. So yeah, pros and cons. But another thing is that the Trump administration has really slashed the budget for those healthcare navigators, like the people that you could call and they would help you, like they were trained to help you pick the right plan, like for Obamacare. Yes, a lot of states, like in some states, they don't have any at all because they keep slashing the budget. Of course, you know, they don't care about Obamacare. They want it to fail, so they're doing everything they can to not help people have a successful time, like including not advertising like as heavily as they used to do for Obamacare to like raise awareness.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen hardly any at all.
Speaker 1: Remember they there was like supposed to be a Super Bowl ad and they pulled it wow last year, So it's all that much harder. But I'm gonna send me that link to that policy Genius tool and I'll put it in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that'll be good because, like I said, I liked it because it was super you know what, I should email it to the It just like reminded me because I send like, you know, weekly emails when I remember to the Dreamcatchers, and around the same year, I sent it to them as here's a free, awesome resource because so many of us were confused about how to sign up. And I tried it, and actually I had my sister sign up and I said, wasn't easy because I was like trying to test it out, baby Lisa. She was like, yeah, so easy. So yeah, I'll definitely send you a link to use to use it.
Speaker 1: And this is your first year. You don't have you're not on Obamacare anymore, right for.
Speaker 2: The yeah, for the first time, I'm like, because the first I was like, oh yeah, loo wait, I have built in insurance. I told my husband he can never quit his job, never ever, all right, So so this is kind of random. So for those women who are I had to make a decision. So you know, I've been telling you guys about my fibroids and whatever. So I'm moving down the path toward surgery. Probably were happening around February and so I don't know, I mean, I don't know if you had to make choices like this between your business and your career and like you know you're personal, Well obviously we all have to make those choices. But I got this amazing opportunity to speak at this like four day women's conference in Americash, Morocco, and it's all inclusive. You know, they're paying and then they're paying like flight, hotel, like food, everything. And I was like, oh my god, I would have done. And it's in February, which is when I'm supposed to have my five word surgery, and so I felt like I was being tested and I was like today, of course, my natural knew jerk reaction was like I'm going to Morocco.
Speaker 3: But I was just like ugh.
Speaker 2: But then like I'm thirty eight, and I'm just like when when do you make time and space? You know? And so I just wonder if our if our readers tweet me or tweet Brown Ambition or Facebook like about like, you know, what decisions have you made? It's hard now when it's not just you making decisions like separating like your career and your business or you know, and then making decison like because this would be an amazing opportunity, but at the same time, at what cost to my personal like life and goals and so it's just been not easy. I'm not gonna lie still vacillating, even though eighty percent of me is like, girl, you're gonna stay. You're behind home because I already told Superman. He was like, oh, sounds cute, but you'll be here. And usually he's like really like open, but he was like, babe, like you've been to Morocca before me, while I've been to Morocco. It's not gonna haven't been. I was like, I know, but it's just like a different.
Speaker 1: Kind of sounds like people deciding whether or not to do drugs, Like how does this play into my overall plan for my life?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but then at what cost? Because it's like if I keep pushing it back and pushing it back, because you know, because it's not just having one because from what I understand, like I've been talking to my doctor, get your surgery, but it's about six weeks that you're kind of like out of commission, you know, and so well at least six weeks that you're not able to leave the house, or at least the first two weeks and then another four weeks of like kind of like recovery. So that part I'm not too worried about because I don't leave the house anyway except for like to travel for business. But it's like, well tivity. And then after that there's actually like you know, like trying to have the baby, and so it's just it's just a lot of shifting that's that's gonna have to happen. And I'm like, I'm wondering, like how women who are like really like okay, like go hard for their career or their business, but I also want to have a family. How do you like navigate those things? Because I'm not gonna lie. I'm worried about like, ah, so let's just say all good news, surgery goes well, I get pregnant next year. Wait, I have two businesses working on the third. How does that all work? So I'm not gonna lie more than a little bit nervous. So I'd be curious for our listeners to kind of give their two sents of what they have done too. Like I watch Adrina and she actually has done such an incredible job, but she it's hard for her. She has a two year old and she runs her own company, She travels a lot, she travels more than I do, and so it's hard, you know, her navigating that. So I just wonder, like, what does that look like? What do you do? What are some things that could put in place now, you know for those of you women who are like, you know, super career focused and business focused. So, yeah, what's our twitter.
Speaker 1: Again at the BA podcast?
Speaker 2: At the BA podcast, so you can tweet me at the Budgeti's still or send us a Facebook message, you know, because we're sometimes the other part of the BA podcast we're you know, aside from personal finance, is like career and business. And so I know some of you guys, most of us, I'm sure if most of y'all are working. And so what does that look like if you're already a mom or your mom to be, or you're planning to be a mom, Like, what are some things that you have planned in order to work or somethings you've done that's been successful helping you make the transition?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no I can't help you there.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: All I will say is that there, I don't know, just have the baby and figure it out, Like fine, you'll be.
Speaker 2: Fine, right, I would like baddy. Wait, the baby's crying in the background. Hold on, girl trying to pay off podcast.
Speaker 1: My really good friends just had a baby. Congrats Kristen. She's a little Hallerween baby.
Speaker 2: A cute name Rayah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And I don't know, man, she she had to do it. She only gets very limited like maternity leave because she's a nurse, and I think it's like ten weeks because she hasn't been there a full year yet, so it's just the bare minimum of whatever the Federal Uh Leave Act like requires. And I don't know, I don't show. Thank god. Her husband works for Etsy, which is like this, you know, you know what Etsy is. But they have like a really liberal like six month family leave policy like for mothers and fathers. So that's so it's like an interesting like flip. Usually it's the mom taking off the most time, but it looks like her husband might have to take off more time, and they're just kind of like figuring it out as they go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's I guess that's parenthood, figuring it out, figuring it out as you go, you know, And it forces you to really prioritize because from what I can see, like of like the new moms that I know, they're like, girl, I don't have time for what that like, you know, like really prioritizing your time and your energy and your space. So yes, ooh good news about the house though, are supposed to be closing on the twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: This has been a long process.
Speaker 2: What I feel like I have been the poster child of how in the hell is this along to buy a house? So yeah, because you know, it's been so crazy, I mean just in general, not just even this particular house, like just the house buying search and process, and so apparently when you buy a foreclosure, it's very common to have little glitches and hiccups along the way. The city of Newark is is becoming more and more digital, so as a result, some of the processes are were fully fleshed out. So we have to get a CO which is a certificate of occupacy, which basically says this house is safe, you can sell it. And so they had it online that only the seller could apply and pick up the sea. But the seller is a bank in the Midwest, so that doesn't even make sense. And so we kept pushing the city of Newark, like you know, you're making your it's impossible. So literally, anyone who has a foreclosed property and the it's not a person is not going to be able to sell their house. So it's a few weeks of confusion. So they finally the City of Newarker realized, oops, so now if you go online, now you have to get the CEO one they're allowing the buyer to apply for it. Or if you are a seller, that's that's you know, like a bank or it's a foreclosed property, you could go about it a different way. So that was that was literally the only thing holding us up is we have to get this piece of paper that you get once you apparently with the CEO you have people from the city come like you have to fire people, some other cold people to say this house is not there's no risk in living in this house. Yet the house can change hands. So that's what we've been waiting on for weeks and weeks and weeks, and so finally we applied and the next couple of weeks will have the fire people and the other inspection people come out to certify the house is indeed safe, and then we closed on the twenty eighth of November, right after Thanksgiving, which I think is very appropriate. So I'm super duper excited. Quiet as it's kept though we halfway moved in because we got the keys.
Speaker 1: You're already moving in.
Speaker 2: No, But it's funny because like we like, well like Superman has gotten we have like all this like stuff, Like we're like, so he's gone there, already cleaned out some things, moved it because it's still like people stuff in there, so like like put some of our things in there. I'm like, we haven't even bought the house. She he was like, the vek is in the Midwest, what are they gonna do? And so yeah, we've been very very very disrespectful with their time and been like whatever, this is our house. So I'm just excited that it's finally like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel because I really was, like, I just want to give a shout out to my uh my girl Amina, who has been the most amazing realtor. She is a fighter. I mean she they literally changed the policy because of how much she fought, and so like the City of Newark, like this doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. So she has been going so hard. There's very few people that I meet in business and in life that go above and beyond. And when you meet someone like that, it's like, you know, meeting a unicorn. Amina is like five unicorns. She is like five four and like eighty pounds silking web. And Amina, meanwhile, has five kids, all over the age of seven. And this woman is a powerhouse. And if she's a young woman, she's in her thirties, like, you know.
Speaker 1: The age of seven. Hold on a second, yes, five kids.
Speaker 2: To ask her for advice, I got guys should and they're so like I've been to her house and those kids, they're so beautiful. She's got such a beautiful family. But typically you would think there's no way, how is she going to be able to manage all of these cause I'm not obviously her only client, but she does, and she is amazing, amazing people ask me, okay share, the answer is now no. I always asking me that. She's like, She's like, I don't take all too many clients, obviously because her kids come first. But when you find the right person to help you with your such like, she's made magic happen. So yeah, I just want to give her a little shout a Mina, and thank you for just making this this impossible process possible. She said, Oh no, we got to get you a house.
Speaker 1: So awesome. All right, thanksgiving miracle.
Speaker 3: Yes, so brown boosts, brown break. What you're gonna do? Boost or break?
Speaker 2: Am I gonna come for you? Are you gonna have boost? Are you gonna break?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take a boost opportunity to have an opportunity to boost. I don't think I've boosted ally Bank in a long time, but I needs to give them a shout out. I'm very I feel like, weirdly loyal to ally Bank for my savings. What is it about them? Is it like the purple color? Is it those delicious Is it the cookies that they put out at conferences that just taste so good? Like?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: But I it brought it came to mind because my little brother, I've been helping him with his like oh and he listens to the podcast. Now it's now I gotta wash my mouth. But anyway, he had asked me for help finding an online savings accountant and he's like, okay, Well, based on the top five online rates right now, Ally isn't number one. And I'm like, yeah, but it's like number three, and I've been with it for so long, and I just feel this inexplicable tie to it. And I don't mind the fact that it's like zero point one percent, like less than some other online savings options out there. I think. I think it's still a great bank. And one thing I'll say is like for the last six months, there's been this like as rates have been rising incrementally over all over the board, like these online savings banks have or sorry, online banks have been really competing, and I feel like every other month there's been an email saying we've raised our rate. We raised our rate like a little bit at a time, and Ally has constantly been has been there ratcheting up its rate a little bit at a time as the competitors have been raising their rates. So I feel good about like hanging out. But it's just if you're stuck with like a crappy brick and mortar bank like Bank of whatever, and you're making like point zero zero zero zero negative money on your savings, like there's no excuse anymore. Like online banks have proven that they are reliable, that they're not going anywhere your money is insured, you should take the time and transfer your money to your savings. You know, your savings, especially to a high yield savings account. There's just no reason not to. And I like ally, but there's Charles Schwab, there's Gold and Sachs. I think my brother went with Synchrony, has an online bank account. There's a lot of other options now, like way more than there used to be, like when I first opened Mind several years ago. So that's my shout out. I mean, my brain, my bo.
Speaker 2: When I got that email, I was like my Monday definitely, that was awesome. I wanted to take a break from American Airlines. Yes, I said it. Thank you for making uh the most stressful trip home. It just was crazy, Like I will say this, so I'll do a break in a boost. American Airlines. You're a trash because there's nothing more heartbreaking than depoorting a plane twice. You get on the plane, you're like, yes, I've got to go home, last leg of this long journey. You're deboard because of whatever technical issues and you're like, okay, no big geting there, Like it's gonna be a two hour weaight, but then they cut it down to an hour and you're like weo, we back on, and then you get on the plane ready to go, and then they deboard you and say, oh, by the way, we're canceled. I wanted to like run through the plane screaming, but so it broke because I was like, it was literally my last it was my third and final flight of the evening. So I understly, I'm not gonna lie. I started crying. I was so tired and frustrated. I was like, wait, I left Australia yesterday, I'm still traveling in these clothes. I probably like I just I have not taken a shower in like fourteen hours, and I want to go.
Speaker 1: And so you shouldst TOAACP.
Speaker 2: I know, right, But honestly, I booked this trip before all that. But yeah, so yes, American Airlines, you're trash. You get a brown break, But who does get a boosted? I called because so here's a little tip. If you ever have your flight canceled, do not wait in that long customer service line, because by the time you get there, whatever flights that they're gonna rebook you and have already been probably filled by the people before you. So instead just call them. So I called the American Airlines and the first woman and she was really helpful, but she was like, oh, we could fly you into Newark tomorrow. I'm like, oh, because I'm gonna sleep on the airplane floor now. Then I called back and then the second woman was like, you know what, there's a flight into La Guardia and it lands at like you know, it leads in an hour. So she was so helpful and she's like, what your email addressed? And I told her the budget needs to edd email, which is like my personal email dress, do not email me. And she was like budget is. She was a DreamCatcher. Her name was Shakira, and Shakira was so nice and friendly and accommodating, and I said, we ended up having a good key key and she was like, girl'll get your emails. You help me get my life together. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And honestly, I said, Shakira, because but by then I was still like still wobbly in the vorce. I said, I was about to light American Airlines on fire on social media, but because of you, girl, I'm gona wait till tomorrow. And she was rolling and I said no, but honestly, I was really going to go to Twitter and like you know, really like assault American Airlines in a nice nasty way, like you know, like going through my time in my day with what how what American Airlines put me through? But because of Shakira, it piut me in such a good space because she was, like I said, it was so nice so accommodating was like you know what, it took her a good ten minutes to kind of like look through. She looked through every possible scenario and found me this one seat I had to fly in some local party of books such as Life and if she even said, like you know your Uber ride, here's the website that you go to to send like proof and like you know, explain what happened and to see if you can get your money back for the uber ride. So Shakira, here's to you. You are Brown Ambition personified. And if I would have known, I wouldn't have thought about it, but I would have told her, girl, what's your email? I just I will send you like some swag or book or something, because she just was really excellent. So Brown boost to you, Shakira. But the company you work for is a break today.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That was almost I'm gonna I'm gonna transition that to a boost actually, because actually.
Speaker 2: I'm up here. That's true. We're gonna upgrade. We're let me uprage. We gotta Shakira.
Speaker 1: I got recognized by an airline attendant on the phone. That's like awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really awesome. I was like, Sakia girl.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm gonna use your email address next time I need to get change to yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, that was that was definitely different. Oh my god, I'm sure we have some awesome questions from listeners.
Speaker 1: Yes, per usual. Yeah, we have a couple of questions. I'll pull up right now from the reader in box, and if you have questions, you can email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com or go to Brand Ambition podcast dot com. Okay, come on, thank you.
Speaker 2: Sorry I forgot I was like wait, wait it's time.
Speaker 1: Your dot com is on Australian time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So first question comes from so. One is a credit question, and then we have which I think is a good credit question that people may not think to ask, but I thought that was good. And then another one on savings. So first question from listener Kai. She says, I've recently obtained my first credit card, and I'm hoping you can help me understand how the timing of credit card payments plays into my credit card utilization rate and credit score. So here's my specific question. My credit card has a three hundred dollars limit, and as of today, my balance is two ninety seven point one eight. My payment du date is also today. But when I go to make a payment online, I'm given these options. Either pay the minimum payment of twenty dollars, pay the last statement total, the last statement balance of one hundred ninety three dollars, or pay the entire current current balance, which is two hundred ninety seven dollars. If my payment due date is today, should I pay the last statement balance or the total current balance? That is her question, And how will this impact That's the first part of her questions. So I just want to stop there because I do think people may wonder, like, what's the difference, you know, statement balance, current balance, minimum balance or minimum due for me? Like for me, I would I would say definitely the statement balance is what it's most important. So that is what gets reported on your credit report.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 1: The reason your total balance is more than that is because your statement balance has a cut off date whenever your statement ends the fifteenth of the month, the fourteenth or whatever. And at that point they say, okay, here's where the clock stops on your current bill for this for this statement period, and we're going to bill you for that amount. If you keep racking up charges, that'll add to your total balance, but that officially, that money that you're racking up now officially won't become due until your next statement ends, exactly. So that's why it's really important to at least pay the statement balance off.
Speaker 2: If you have the money too, like if you.
Speaker 1: Have the money too, which can be a good thing, like if you don't, if you don't have necessarily enough money to cover your current balance, but your statement balance is enough and you can cover that all in one fell swoop, and that's great.
Speaker 2: That that full balance, though it is like heartwrench because you're like, oh I, oh wait a minute. Yeah, when you see the pending payment, you're like, oh man, those darn ubers, right. You also want to throw in that one of the reasons why I don't particularly like paying on the credit card website because of those kind of like limited choices. So I do bill pay. So you put in like your Every major bank and even some non major banks have automatic bill pay or just bill pay, so you go in, they ask you all these questions. And now, because bill pay is not a new thing, they're linked to different companies. So if you have you know, let's just say you have well Fargo or whatever, and your credit card is chased, they talk to each other and so well Fargo will actually know what your balance is, and so you can actually choose from the bill pay side how much you want to pay. So you might say, you know what, I don't want to pay the minimum of twenty, but I don't want to pay the full amount of one ninety seven. Instead, I want to pay seventy five dollars. Then if it's not giving you that choice on the credit card side, you can make that choice on the bill pay side from your bank. So typically I pay my credit card bill on my personal bank side, so I can decide how much I want to send versus kind of like being stuck to only pay whatever choices that the credit card company is giving me.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that any credit I didn't know there is some credit cards didn't allow you to put your own Yeah, rather different amount. Interesting, Okay, yeah, definitely, that's a good way to get around that. I didn't know that was a thing. So her next question is should I pay the amount on or before the payment due date? And how does the timing and amount paid affect my credit card utilization and or a credit score.
Speaker 2: I think the rule of thumb, it's not so much the due date, it's more so of the statement date, meaning like when the bill is issued. Pay. So for example, I used to do this and it was a mistake. I wanted to show, hey, look I'm making payments, so I would buy something and then literally go online and make the payment right then and there. That was not going to register with the credit bureaus. That I had to learn they had to wait. If I want, if the purpose for me was to register like my movements, my credit movements with the credit bureaus, I had to wait until I was actually issued the bill, you know, like, oh, here's your statement. It's due, and so it's not so much to do date. So it's like, oh, bill's been sent, now you can pay. And so that's how you know that, like one, they're going to register this is what you owed to. It's going to register, this is what you paid, and so that's kind of like the rule of thumb is wait until the bill is actually like either se TVA mail or just online, like, hey, this is this is the due date for statement balance a statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my concern is that So right now her statement balance is two hundred and ninety seven dollars on a three hundred dollars limit. So right now, if you don't have any other credit cards, she doesn't specify, But if this is your only credit card, you're at one hundred percent almost of utilization, and that will hurt your score. Ideally you want to be below thirty percent. One way to do that so you only have you very you have a very small limit, and you may max it out a lot. But the trick is to make payments before your statements do to eat away that balance to keep it at thirty percent of three hundred would be what ninety bucks. So if you charge one hundred and fifty dollars on the card, go ahead and pay off fifty dollars or sixty dollars today and leave the ninety dollars on there. Let that, let that be added to your statement balance, and then pay that bill off. That's one way to keep your to be able to spend more than over spend above that thirty percent utilization rate limit, but not actually have it hurt your score. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It does, and that's good advice.
Speaker 1: I would do that before because when I got my first credit card, this might be like a student credit card or something. When I got my first Bank of America student card, it was like three hundred bucks, and I would later I would maximine out all the time. Of course I didn't know any better, but later I learned that trick where you make small payments throughout the month and keep your keep it below thirty percent of your balance, and then let that balance be reflecting on your statement m hm. And then that'll reflect that'll get reported to the bureaus and they'll see, okay, oh you know, Kai's only got a thirty percent utilization rate. That's great, and we won't ding her for that.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's really all about reporting, like figuring out when are my financial credit choices reported. Once you kind of figure throughout that, then it makes it easier to make decisions that are going to be in alignment with getting a better score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like bending over backwards to get around these weird credit reporting rules, but I know it is crazy. It's crazy, but yeah, So if you have two ninety seven for this month just paid off in full, I hope you can pay off your statement balance and full hope you can, and then next month pay off whatever you need to pay off to keep it a look, keep it at least no greater than ninety dollars on your next statement, and you should be in good shape. Okay, So that was from Kai. Thanks Kai, And the next question is from listener v V sizes. Hey V says, I'm a part time graduate student and I only work part time job. I make enough money to pay my expenses and have three hundred dollars left over after every leftover every month after I pay my monthly living expenses according to my budget, I've managed to save one thousand dollars and a separate savings account, and I don't know what my next savings goal should be. What should I do with the extra three hundred dollars a month that I have. I don't want to waste it on food, Jordan's and hair weave. Ye maybe those are the options. Food, Jordan's, hair weief. Can you please help me plan my next new savings goal.
Speaker 2: The so my assumption is that the does she say that she's that she has a retirement plan in place?
Speaker 1: She does not. She's part time graduate student. She's got a thousand bucks in savings. This is what we know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you don't have retirement plan in place, now you do, girl, I would put that money toward that because that comes first.
Speaker 1: Tiffany happy be a part time graduate student save for retirement. If it's only working a part time job and I'm guessing doesn't have a four to one k.
Speaker 2: Well, if you don't have a traditional four and one k because you're part time, you can go to your local bank and say, hey, bo, I would like to sign up for an eye on an IRA, an individual retirement account or a rock eye. Well it would be a ROTH, right because ROTH is after taxes, right.
Speaker 1: Either or yeah, yeah, you would want to it would be yeah, it could be it'd be an IRA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so which is called an individual retirement account? Right, so you would sign up for an IRA. You can actually do it online like I know, like for example, Ally has IRA's. But you know, if you're not fully comfortable during that, if you're a millennial, you're like, we will do it online. If you're not, if you're an ex you know, millennial or whatever they call us down, then you're probably gonna want to go into your bank and just say, hey, i'd like to contribute. Start to contribute regularly to a retirement account. That is paramount, especially if you are a grad student. If you start now, you're going to be in such great shape when you get a little bit older. So that's what I would do with the extra money, is start to really think about my future, you know, beyond like where you are right now, and putting the money toward that and sitting down with someone and if not, even if not sitting down with someone, you know, you could pick now. They've got all these great tools where you might say, like, for example, I'm pretty sure that Ally has a tool where it's a roth Ira and basically they ask you all these questions about yourself personally, and they help you to pick what your retirement money should do and where it should go. So you could do that and just have it automatically transferred there every month. But I would definitely focus on retirement if you're not already, and I suspect if you're young you likely are not.
Speaker 1: And that's science. I mean, while you're in grad school, maybe your student loans aren't doe yet, and you can put that money to work for retirement, and then when you're ready to pay your student loans back, you know that you have no problem coming up with three hundred dollars to put toward those student loans and maybe diverting that money to student loans until they're paid off, right, because that's going to be the issue. I think when she graduates, it's going to be like, well, what do I do now? Retirement or student loans? And I say, that's a tricky question. It depends on like how much I know I'm giving her additional question she didn't ask, but I'm looking into your future and I'm saying that it may make more sense to be putting as much money as you can toward that debt, depending on what your interest rates are, or like doing half, like putting half towards your student loan bill and then continuing to put half toward your retirement.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Do you think I mean, she doesn't tell us you know where she lives or how much her life costs, But do you think a thousand bucks is enough to have a savings account and be like, and I'm done and I'm good for life because it seems low to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, I mean, And so the thing is too maybe let's a lot, And I think that I like your idea, not thinking of the three hundred dollars as this lump sum that cannot be separated. So you might say to yourself, Okay, of this three hundred, I'm gonna put one hundred toward retirement, one hundred towards this day, and one hundred toward growing that savings account. You know what I mean. So I think that ask yourself your overall financial goals and how you can Obviously you're not going to separate the three hundred to three hundred pots, but there you might have that three hundred going to two or three or maybe even four different pots that serve your greater goals, because a thousand does seem a little low. But I mean, I don't know where you live, but you know you're wanting to have. Ideally, they say you want to have anywhere from like on the super low end, three months worth of your life expenses, and on the higher and up to twenty four months, two years, depending on what type of life you live, so typically around six months to a year of emergency money. So you know, it's one thousand dollars like at least three months. I don't know, it might be, but maybe contributing to that so that way you have a little bit more of a stash and you might be like, you know, I don't need to do a whole bunch. Maybe it's just fifty bucks of the three hundred. But I think that those three things that Manny and I mentioned, retirement, debt and savings, that that three hundred can address those three things that three hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, Hell cravyvy, thanks for your question. And if you guys again, if you have questions Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com or brand Ambition podcast dot com. You got it get too fast.
Speaker 2: I try to flip it in there. Oh yeah, go to podcast dot com right and click no click to ask us anything? Is that what it's what it says? Right?
Speaker 1: Ask us anything? Yep.
Speaker 2: So all I do is win, win, win, no matter what what you gotta win for. So do you have any wins?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make you go first this time.
Speaker 2: I have when that is slightly uncomfortable, but not uncomfortable. So so ben Kind happened, No, definitely nothing more comfortable. Oh, I will say that I think I lost my full twenty pounds. I'm good now. I'm not like the weight that I want to be. I'm like, ooh, I'm here, but the vegan isn't. I'm actually not gonna give it up. I think I'm gonna stay because I'm like, hmmm, from what I've heard, the hormones and the meat are not five boards friends, so they're like people have been telling me, and my doctor can tell me it's actually good that I'm vegan. So anyway, my win, I didn't attend fen Kind and you didn't go this year either, right, Mandy, I did not, and so I heard it was awesome. So I was nominated for Plutus Award. And Plutus is like the Emmys for financial like bloggers and writers and stuff like that, and so honestly, I was nominated for award that I didn't think I should have been nominated for, like one award. I was like, ooh, that's totally me, which was online community, which y'all dream catchers know, we got that on lock. I didn't win that one, but that's okay because who did win was very deserving. But I was also nominated for best Blog for Women, and I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I don't blog.
Speaker 2: That mean I have a blog, but I was like.
Speaker 1: You best blog what? Maybe blog exactly?
Speaker 2: And I'm not gonna lie. I feel some kind of way of like, why did you guys give you this award?
Speaker 1: Like now, what are they doing? What?
Speaker 2: Because I like, honestly, I can honestly say and this is not even the humility of like, oh no, because honestly, I wanted to win a community work because I feel like I have a dope on my community. I felt like I was dropped but whatever, So this is not false humility at all. But I'm like, when the people are timty one, I was like, yeah, the community of what they're like, no, best financial block for Women, I'm like, what categories? I didn't even know I was in that category? Why did I win that? So? I mean it's a win, which is nice, but I'm not gonna lie. I feel like there are so many amazing financial blocks for women that are awesome blogs, and it feels like, honestly, it's not an award that I can take with pride because I blog. But like literally what I'm like, it's a blue moon. I think I should write something. I'm I'm you know, so it's yeah, but from what I understand, because the true wind is that when you're a pollutics award, you get great swag. And so apparently there's an Amazon Echo dot on my way to the house, and I'm on my way to my house, So that's the true wind. Whoop whoop, free Amazon Echo that. So that's my win that I got an award that I did not deserve, but I did get some amazing sweag to go along with you.
Speaker 1: Not gonna You've had the Amazon dot the election, where like since last Christians, I got inenrik one And it's so pathetic. It's so pathetic, how like we have no idea what to do with it. We're just like, tell me the weather and tell me a joke.
Speaker 2: Well, Superman is super like into tech stuff, so I'm really curious to see how it's going to work in our house because I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forgot husband got the iPhone ten.
Speaker 2: It's his making that same error that I error, or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. But I have seen that. I've been getting messages from some people anyone. I think it's not just that it's not the new iPhones, it's like the new iOS update okay, right, or I don't know. I don't know about it, but I saw Yeah, I got some weird texts from some people were like, if you write the letter I, it turns into like an A yeah, yeah, like a question mark box thingy. Yeah, I will say I want to give a boost to Sorry, this is gonna be no, my win is gonna be for employees who raise their hand and ask for a one on one UH one on one feedback session with their managers. Because one of my UH direct reports recently did that to me, and I thought, I was like, they tell you to, they tell you to do this, but I don't feel like people really ever do it. And I thought that it was really really smart of her to do that because I've been so overwhelm lately. I really haven't had time to sit down and do the one on one feedback session with people. And if she had waited and gotten bitter about not ever getting feedback and not ever hearing how she's doing that, it just would have made her it just it would have made her feel bad and would have made her like feel bitter about working here possibly, But the fact that she like raised her hands and even asked for a review, I thought was really great. And that's something that I used to do, uh with sometimes success, sometimes not success at my prior jobs. And I just think that's a great tip for anyone who is like, it's the end of the year, you're feeling like, you know, you may be up for a raise or you want that promotion, but like your boss hasn't swept into the office and rolled out the red carpet and invited you for a sit down chat. Like, it's completely within your power to ask your boss to have a chat of your own and to take that time to tell them what you want and like what you're what you're feeling like you deserve and what you want more from the job and all that, and this is the time to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Look at her. Is she young?
Speaker 1: She's yeah, she's uh, mid well on her age. I don't know her age, mid twenties, semi semi not super rookie, but I don't know. And I and like, while I'm talking about the office, so you know, we've we've really expanded. Like a year ago when I joined Magnified Money and it was like what three people, two people, and now there's like a full office and I've never I've never been this this, you know, this close to the beginning of something, to see it grow, this list quickly and well not quickly, but to see it grow, and it's just been really it's been really awesome to have new people coming on board, and our office is really diverse. It's literally like half women, half men, and there's people from different countries and different backgrounds and different ages, and it's just it's exactly the kind of place that I like to like, this type of people I like to be around, and I'm just really I'm really happy with where we're going.
Speaker 2: Oh look a Magnified Baby, Magnified Money. I remember, I think I met Nick on the on the night like you and I were at like a panel. I think it was an American Express or whatever, and that night at that panel is when I met Nick. Did you meet him that day.
Speaker 1: Too, I don't remember, ben Con Yeah, I think maybe in person for the first time.
Speaker 2: No, no, not Finkinn. Remember you came to Newark like for this American Express panel.
Speaker 1: Oh whoa, yeah, yes he was there. He was there.
Speaker 2: Remember he was there in the crowd and he asked a really great question or something like that, and I remember like I connected with him there. I was like I like him. I remember thinking he was so different from any of the personal finance people. Well, I mean to be all the way transparent, like from any of like the white guys in personal finance, because like the brown people are were typically community focused. But like, I didn't really meet white guys who were in personal finance that were like, I'm here for the people. So it struck me. I remember being like, what, you're here for the people? Who are you, sir? And then like really, you know, like exploring magnifying money and being like this is amazing and he has never disappointed me aside from the back of you know, y'all still only money but whatever needs to hear about that. But yeah, well other than that, like, yeah, Nick is amazing the company that he's built with this amazing team. You guys are all like, I really love magnified money. It is probably like when I look at my my U underutilized blog and I look at my my what are those things called analytics. Magnify Money is the number one site that people leave my my blog for because that's how much I got. Yeah, Like, I was just like because it's just such an awesome resource and tool, and people thank me all the time, like, thank you so much for magnified money. It's easy to navigate, it's trustworthy, and you know, I don't know, you guys are just awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks, we try.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Oh.
Speaker 1: I just got a big fat check from Ebates. Speaking of which, before I before we say goodbye, my mother was like, what did tip you start doing Ebaates commercials? She finally sought one of your eBay dogs.
Speaker 2: I love your mom. When your mom and sister were dancing, I was like, oh, I want to get it in. I want to dance at your wedding.
Speaker 1: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, that commercial is doing really well. I'm not gonna lie. I kind of be some kind of way that I didn't ask for money because I was just so excited to be in a commercial and I kind of asked for an OLF handedly. I was like, if y'all ever do a commercial, I'd love to be in it. When I was talking with my partner there are Ebates and when they were like, we'll fly you out, you know, but it's not likely that you'll be you'll make it, but as far as like you've being a great partner, it is kind of like our hey girl, hey, thanks so much. So I was excited craft food and I was able to bring Drina and they were like, you know, it's likely not going to make it on air, and I said, okay, if it is, it's going to be a group commercial. And then I don't know, they decided to do a fifteen second spot and now it's like their number one converting commercial and I'm like, where's my check?
Speaker 1: You know you may thank off those affiliate links.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah I do, but still I was like, wow, I need to Yeah, so now I know better. So now I'm like, ebaits you want my face back on that commercial? You want to love commercial? Ebates, it's going to cost no. Honestly, I love Ebaths. It's another it's like a magnified money that it's one of the few brands and businesses that it's a win win I've shared and I've never had a moment's pause of like is this a good business? EBAs is awesome. I mean you.
Speaker 1: Lose, like they just wave you money for shopping, like, yeah, I just made thirty bucks and I didn't do a damn thing like exactly.
Speaker 2: It's EBAs is Honestly, if you're not using ebays, I don't know what you're doing, like it's this is not they're not paying me to say, oh we should get them to be a sponsor.
Speaker 1: Let me reach out to but anyway, yeah, I ad the I always add the extension to my browsers, so it doesn't even matter where I am, it just pops up. Yeah, let me let me withhold my my plug before they start paying for advertising. Don't go, don't go click yet, don't click at
Speaker 2: Let's get us a link