Speaker 1: Hymn this tuesdays.
Speaker 2: I'd see thozlerd alert.
Speaker 3: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Every time I think about Tuesday, I go, oh, yeah, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Mmmm?
Speaker 2: That's right? And never get old. It's alway, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Good morning sweel then, welcome to the No Dunks Podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Tuesday, May twenty one, twenty twenty four. I'm Jake here in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always tas Mellis.
Speaker 2: I swear that person has fixed my car down here. But on the Tuesday he fixed my card. He said. It's Tuesday, different every different.
Speaker 1: Next to him, it's the bearded woman, Touchha, hot boy, Trey Kirby, hey Jo, and last but not least making the magic happen, super producer JD.
Speaker 2: Hello, there he is here.
Speaker 1: We are shout out to the stream team. Joining us live right now on YouTube. Hit the like button, subscribe podcast listeners, five stars, ratings and reviews. We got a fun one here because we will get into the rookie teams. Trey Kirby's got tweeted the night. But we are doing our conference finals previews here for our two series that get underway tonight in the Eastern Conference. Let's begin there. The Pacers qualified for their first East Finals since twenty fourteen. They began the playoffs as the number six seed. They beat Milwaukee with no Jannis, they beat the banged up Knicks, and now they face the conference's top contender here in the Celtics, who entered their sixth East Finals appearance in the past eight seasons. If you care, the Celtics won the season series with Indiana three to two. They played five times thanks to that in season tournament only. The last game saw Pascal Siakam in a Pacers jersey, So you know what, check it out, throw it out, none of it matters.
Speaker 2: Horor Pascalley played the Celtics a lot of time, including the Raptors, right, That's right, they lost a lot.
Speaker 1: He's got some experience against them. So yeah, the number one seeded Celtics versus the number six seeded Pacers, let's break it down. We'll get to our predictions. But what's one thing you're watching for in this series?
Speaker 2: Test pace. I know we always talk about the pace with the Pacers. That is their name, though, we got to talk about it. They are the fastest team in the playoffs. The Celtics are the slowest team in the playoffs. Will the Celtics make shots enough to slow the Pacers down a little bit, because we know the Pacers like to speed up their versatile they are randomized. They do everything in their offense. They're gonna go through absolutely everyone. But but, but the Celtics are the best defense that the Pacers have played so far in the postseason. They've got that length and listen, sometimes they calm down. We may see a shootout Celtics, Pacers just let's just shoot it out and have a great fun game for the rest of us. And also, the Pacers are not faced as good as an offense as the Celtics team has been. They have been stacked. I know you you excluded Giannis from their their opponents this year's this playoffs and you said, hey, the Knicks are banged up. This is all true. The Celtics are just healthy and ready to go.
Speaker 1: And we Christis is not going to play the first two games.
Speaker 2: This is one hundred.
Speaker 1: Probably still have enough firepower them, but.
Speaker 2: They have many many fower firepowers. And I will well, I do want to see Tyres Haliburton, uh and who he's going to guard on on most likely Drew Holiday matchup because you can't hide him anywhere. The Celtics are just so versatile. They do have all these weapons well, whether Christops Porzingis is playing or not. So just just the fun pace of it all.
Speaker 3: Love a pace, love the pace, Love the the Pacers made it this far because you get to see the n season tournament mentioned in every single preview, right, you know, these are the two healthiest teams in the Eastern Conference. No surprise, they actually made it this far. And I think you're onto something. I think Halliburton should absolutely guard Drew Holliday because I think that could maybe trick the Celtics into going to Drew Holliday. If you're the Pacers, you're living with a bunch of Drew Holiday post ups on Tyrese Halliburton. That takes the Celtics out of their drive and kick game. We know they like to get three pointers up. That's a huge thing for them. So the Pacers have been pretty good in this playoffs and during the season taking away three pointers. You can score inside on them, though, but we know the Celtics want to get three pointers up. That's how they have become the second best offense in the playoffs their first and three point rate. I wonder how the Pacers are able to keep oh pace with them from the three point line. A lot of that comes down to Tyreese Halliburton, I do believe, because he's gonna need to score in this series. He's the best offensive player on the perimeter for the Pacers. But the Celtics have a lot of guys they can throw at him. It's like Drew Holliday and Derek White, you can take two. We could go with Jason Tatum if we're feeling crazy. We need some size on him. Jalen Brown I think will be kind of like the third option. There as a kind of in between size and speed there. It'll be interesting to see how Haliburton attacks those guys. They're gonna try and send them left. They're gonna do everything they can to make anybody else beat them besides Halliburton. So getting three point attempts, getting into the lane, getting the driving kick game going, that's gonna be huge for Halliburton, but they need him to score efficiently as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he needs to have the series of his life for this to be competitive, or to even pull off the upset. Halliburton's production dipped in the four games he played against Boston. It makes sense. They're playing a lot of defensive minded guys, all defensive candidates, and Drew and Derek White just sixteen points per game. I'm even rounding up there a little bit forty one percent shooting for Halliburton. But he's got to be aggressive. You're gonna be happy if the three's fallen for him, but he needs to touch paint and probably get that floater going. They're gonna do drop coverage, you know, if it's al If Porzingis comes back in the series. That's how they've played them before. There's gonna be room there in the middle if you can get by those elite defensive guys on the wings. Got to hit that little floater. I think he's got to shoot it with some confidence and probably shoot it often because they don't need to. I'm gonna be throwing doubles at him. They're happy with guys playing one on one because they have so many elite defenders. But yeah, can they just stop them? Is the other point you said in your Boston is like incredible, that's going to the ball. They scored one hundred and twenty six points per one hundred possessions against Indiana the season. I was a little inflated because of that one hundred and fifty five point game I guess they had early in the year, but still some other high octane games. So just can they slow them down, because we even saw the Pacers against the Knicks there in some of those games it was high scoring affairs and we're stopping them for a majority of it. And Boston's even better offensively, so can they get enough stops?
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are the top two offenses in the playoffs. The Celtics can do it. As Trey brought up, the time that the Celtics find a problem with their offense is when they're trying to do one particular thing, and that's it could be in this case, Dale trying to give it to tyres Sealiburn because they excel like the Pacers do when they give it to everybody. Yeh, when they make it all happen when they move it, when all five guys are getting into it. So it's really if the Celtics just kind of go back to their old ways and have a bad stretch. But they have been resting and ready for this series. They are absolutely fresh. They just give game twos away. That's what they do. They gave game two away in each of their first two series. So it's highly likely the Celtics will win game one. It's that game two mystery that if the Pacers can go into Boston and steal one.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the Celtics will play drop, especially with Porzingis out. Al Horford's a better switch defender than Porzingis is, and I think he's a little bit more comfortable there. You also saw in that Game five against the Cavaliers, the Celtics were saying, you're not taking three pointers, live in the lane if you want to. That's how Evan Mobley had a huge game, took twenty four shots in that one. So I think that's probably what the Celtics will do. They're gonna switch everything. Makes it even tougher for the Pacers to get three pointers up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And on the other side, does Al let a few rip from three point line because Miles Turner will want to be in the lane to help out on defense. And these numbers sometimes don't mean anything, but he did shoot six of eleven from three against the Boston or the Indian Pacers, excuse me from three, so they will try and get Miles as far away from the rim as possible because he is there to turn.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're not concerned? You said really at all that Porzenkis is not going to start this series in all likelihoods, maybe misses game one and two, and then we move forward there and maybe we see him Indiana, but Al Horford starts, Luke Cornette backup minutes. Do we see Tillman, do we see even Oshae Brissett? Does he get a chance here in a more athletic type of series and you're not going to be punished, but the size of Indiana probably What do you.
Speaker 2: Think I don't think so. No, To be quite honest, I think they want Christopsportzings back in this series to get him ready for the NBA Finals potentially right, and Game three would give him twenty five days off for the injury. Kelly Dwyer loves a good calendar, and I got that date from him, twenty five days off to help the bum CAF get ready for the NBA Finals. I don't think it's a problem. Does anybody else really think it's a problem that al Horford, who has been primed for these playoff minutes because he didn't play a ton. He did be played in the regular season, obviously, but they didn't have to go to him a lot. Plus they are arresting in the fact that they had two shorter series. Yeah, so I don't think it's problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely don't think it's a problem. I don't really think Tillman or Persette is going to factor into this series at all. I think Tilman's played like twenty five minutest hasn't touched the floor yet in the playoffs. But the Pacers did a pretty good job against the Knicks on the offensive glass, so you're gonna want a big out there at the very least. Though, I imagine the Celtics, if the Pacers are really really running, they could try five out play Tatum at the five if they really wanted to, and then who knows who comes in as the guard, probably Pritchard or something like that. But I don't think that Porzingis is necessary for the Celtics to win this series, right.
Speaker 1: And Missoula has been pretty hesitant to want to go to him as sort of a small ball center five. He likes the size there, so that's why we see Luke and stuff like that. And obviously Al Horford who has played great as the series went on. Against the Cavs. He was not hitting anything to start that series, but then sort of caught fire and you know, sort of found his rhythm, so he could be instrumental. Here. Is there anything else to watch for in this one? And you want to pivot to straight up X factors? We could do both teams if.
Speaker 2: You want, Yeah, let's do the five. Let's pivot.
Speaker 1: What do you got for an X factor?
Speaker 2: The two pests TJ McConnell versus Peyton Pritchard. I think that will be interesting because TJ McConnell was monstrous last series. He was so key against the New York Knicks and according to the stats he was eighteen of thirty three from the floor against these Boston Celtics. But Peyton Pritchard will have fun against him, so that matchup is going to be important. I think if there's anything that the Pacers do benefit from, it is their depth, and at times TJ McConnell was what was really huge. I mean he created turnovers in the backcourt in both of these series, so that's really important, and Payne Pritchard I think will be up for the challenge when he looks into the mirror and he sees TJ mcconalll. I know they play a little differently, but they're going to be in that same role. So just that matchup is interesting. Pritchard really has to be up in TJ McConnell because TJ mcconnald can cause it a big problem. So that matchup will be fun for me and it is key, I think for Indiana to win that thing to win this series.
Speaker 1: Indiana's bench was phenomenal against the Knicks really throughout the postseason, he said McConnell. I mean, he's been one of the biggest stories from the postseason. Eleven points per game in the playoffs. He had forty two assists to just ten turnovers in that Knick series. Obie Toppins averaged eleven points per game in the playoffs. He hit a decent number of threes against the Knicks, seven to sixteen, so not a huge volume, but knocked him down. Ben Sheppard been rebounding really well for a shooting guard when his opportunity. He's shooting forty seven percent from deep in the playoffs. And then Isaiah Jackson, who's played the less of those guys, the fewestmount of winnets. Excuse me, but a hustle guy maybe gives you ten minutes per game. Maybe we see him a little bit more about block shots. He's been a positive in almost all his games against the Knicks. So like, yeah, the X factor for the Pacers to make this interesting. Halliburton's got to be a star. But these guys got to continue to play at this elite level because it might be might be one one tiny advantage when you do the old columns between the two teams, but can they keep it up against a much better Celtics team.
Speaker 3: That was my X factor as well. Who's going to be the best white guy in this series? McConnell or Pritchard. That's kind of what it comes down to, because the Pacers, their bench was a major advantage against the Knicks. Of course, the Knicks bench didn't get a whole lot of run there, and you know, was depleted by the end. But I still think that the Pacers can probably run against this Boston Celtics bench, though you know they'll be blended lineups that kind of stuff. So a little further down on the X factor list, I think is going to be Drew Holliday's offense because it would be smart of the Pacers to make him beat you. Because there are good games from Drew Holliday. We've seen a lot of good games. We've also seen a lot of games where he's forcing it a lot of turnovers, can't really get into his offense efficiently. I think he's going to be getting a large part of the Halliburton Assignment defense lay, so he's probably putting a lot of effort there. If the Pacers can trick the Celtics into a one on one game, that definitely favors them because a mishot there going the other way. That's how the Pacers want to play.
Speaker 2: Speaking of white guys who can help, Sam Houser can help the Boston Celtics because Indiana hasn't really faced a guy like this off the bench in their two series here against the Knicks and Milwaukee. Sam Hauser would be the best shooter out of all between both those teams coming off this bench, and he can let it rip, so that is something they have to guard. He can literally fill it so that there is that you're right about the advantage for the Indiana Pacers has to be their bench. It really has to be. So they have to watch Sam Hauser for those open threes.
Speaker 1: Are you excited to watch Nie Smith do his best to slow down A Tatum. I assume that will be majority of his assignment, maybe some Jail and Brown. But you know, Tatum and Brown had great numbers against the Pacers in the regular season in terms of scoring the ball, and you know, we barely even talked about them here. It's just like we're sort of just put them in Pennett feels like for their numbers exactly. You know, the only thing bad thing is Tatum can't hit a three to save his life. Right now, if you're a Pacers fan, you're hoping that continues. But speak to that matchup there and Nie Smith. You know the revenge series here, it's a team that's sort of a cut him and let him go and all that.
Speaker 3: I think Aaron Nesmith is the Patrick Beverly of the wing. He's tricking, y'all. He just tries really really hard. Yeah, and he's guarding on the ball. He gets lost on backdoor cuts. He's not really an offensive player unless he's hitting threes, which is up and down for him. So I think he needs to be effective offensively for the Pacers and then hopefully slow down one of either Tatum or Brown, which is a tough spot for him because guess what, there's another guy who could go off. You know, like we barely even get to Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown until we're at the end of the X Factor series. These guys are averaging basically thirty a game, yeah, throughout the playoffs, so they could use a second Niemith honestly, Yeah, there's so many Yakam. I guess has got to be a good defender as well. We haven't mentioned him yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean, yeah, they're obviously they have guys. They have size, at least in theory on pay to slow them down. But like Jalen Brown's completely overlooked throughout the entire postseason. We barely talked about the Celtics, for being honest, because they've taken care of business outside of these weird games they have in Game two and they're suddenly like, oh my god, we got a one one series and then they dominate from there on out. I'm interested to watch and this is by way of Schumann. You know, the Celtics have played basically no clutch time in this postseason. I think it's seventy nine seconds where the score was within five points in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. So nine of their ten games, including both of their losses, they're double digits. Like, they're not close games. Now, I'm not like worry some or worried that if they get in that like, oh, they'll just panic and don't know what to do. I mean, you have great star players, but they just haven't had to play. Any of the Pacers have played I think four clutch games already and I think they split those. Just so I hope we get close games. I just don't know if we will continue with the Boston Celtics here in just these blowout varieties.
Speaker 2: I think one thing we do overlook when we look at the Pacers versus Celtics in the regular season or just the Pacers overall, is that their defense has gotten better as the season has gone along and in this postseason. And so yeah, Tatum and Brown are good against them, but they do have four really good defenders besides Halliburton, the other four guys that they play in Nie Smith and them Hart and Turner and Siakam are good defenders to start, and then there's more off the bench. Yeah, and so for sure, absolutely they changed defensive team. Yeah, and they put they put Ni Smith and them Hart into the starting lineup to be pests. So there's that. But the Celtics are just damn talented and they fire away from three. They've average averaged thirty eight threes per game here in the first two rounds. And you just think that they are more talented offensively than the Inana Pacers, which is odd to say because the Pacers are so damn good offensively, But then the Celtics do have the good defense as well. So yeah, it's a very well rounded team. There's no doubt, do you think.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talked about the Pacers obviously getting a little injury luck here against the teams they play, and there's no doubt with the Giannis and then obviously Nicks. But do you think the Pacers are better than the two thousand twenty one Hawks comparable much worse like these teams that make sort of surprise runs to the conference finals. Where do you like have this Pacers team and sort of the hierarchy there equal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't I don't think that. I think the Knicks would have beat him if they're healthy, and I think Buck would have beat him they're healthy, right right, right, So I mean that kind of falls along the same lines as the Hawks, where it's like Ben Simmons had a mountdown Joelle and beiid couldn't hang onto the ball in Game six and seven. They went to the conference finals. But that's kind of how it goes in the playoffs. A lot the healthiest teams get there. The Celtics haven't played a healthy team yet either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good to play point prediction time. Where are you going? How many game?
Speaker 2: There's gonna be some weird stuff because the Pacers haven't lost a home game in months, It's been a long time March eighteenth. But the Celtics haven't lost a game on the road this postseason, so something is going to change. But the Celtics have lost both game twos. As I said earlier, I do think the Celtics will get on a roll just because they have had a lot of rest to win Game one and the Game two is a question. This one. I think they'll just feel better, and this is the biggest stage for the Pacers and since the since the is a what a stage that was in Las Vegas, Well, I wish I was there to see that stage. I have Celtics in five. I do think that they'll They'll take care of home in the first two games for the first time this postseason, so I think that's a big factor in this.
Speaker 1: You see Indiana winning one of their home.
Speaker 2: Games, Yes, for sure, I hope, so, I hope.
Speaker 1: So Celtics in five seems like a very common pick here. You know, maybe you go sweet, maybe you think it's longer. What's tray curb?
Speaker 2: You think?
Speaker 3: I think the Pacers are going to win game one? Okay? Yeah, the best most whole team that Boston has faced yet in the playoffs as some major change in style from the way they've been playing. They played against Cleveland. They played against Miami teams that wanted to generally slow it down, though Cleveland started chucking at the end of the series when Donovan Mitchell was out. They also haven't played for a week. The Celtics have played ten games in thirty seven days. It's unbelievable, Like you have to remember, Oh yeah, the Celtics are in the playoffs, the team that was the best record for the entire season. Yeah, they're still going. So I think I will go for the Celtics in six.
Speaker 1: Okay, they will.
Speaker 3: It'll be two too after four games, just because the three point variants. There will be a game when the Pacers out shoot the Celtics. It happens every series, right.
Speaker 1: I'll go with task. I'm going Celtics in five. I don't think though, I'd love it for the narrative of the series. If Indiana pulls off this game one victory tonight, but just too much talent, you know, there's obviously the experience factor we just said, this team has been to so many conference finals. They also be and again, like this is set up so perfectly for the Celtics. They could not be set up better for them to obviously go to the championship and to maybe win the whole thing. Now that Denver, the only team that sort of had their number during the regular season, is completely removed as well, So I will go Celtics in five. There will be a game, of course where Indiana, probably at home, gets helped from their bench. Maybe Helliburton has a star performance and that'll be enough. But I'm going with the common pick here. It feels like that's the most most common pick up seat Celtics in five. We have the poll going up there on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Forty eight percent say Celtics in four or five, thirty four percent say Celtics in six or seven, sixteen percent say Pacers in six or seven, and zero percent going for Pacers in four or five. Okay, which I think is fair. That's fair.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Okay. Well, let's move over to the Western Conference Final Game one. It's gonna mark just the second postseason series between the Wolves and Mavericks. The last playoff matchup between these two came in the opening round of the two thousand and two playoffs, when we saw a fifty seven win Dallas squad defeat Many three to zero before they lost in the next round. But more recently, Minnesota finished three and one against Dallas during the regular season. Luca missed two of those games, Kyrie set out three, and all of them occurred before Dallas brought in Daniel Gafford and PJ Washington at the trade deadline. I want you to throw those games up, Okay, they mean nothing. So number three Wolves versus the number five MAVs. Very excited here matchups. Yeah, you got your Andrew Wiggins Minnesota tim Midlals jersey.
Speaker 2: On my time. It's time wow to pull out of Minnesota. I just love the blue more so than anything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: If there's an Andrew Wiggins autograph on the back of this, I totally had forgotten about that, but it's it's autograph. The number two. They also sent a shoe.
Speaker 3: Right they did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the old Wigans shoe. Just one this to the starters. Oh yeah, interest, I took it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are you watching for in Wolves MAVs.
Speaker 2: Also the first time probably that Dallas is hosting both a conference finals and a conference final in hockey, the conference final, don't call me finals. The Dallas Stars hosting as well. What exciting Stars Oilers, Stars Oilers. Oilers took care of business against fan City yesterday.
Speaker 3: Ryan Nugent Hopkins scoring. He was raised in Barnaby, vc BC, only eight miles from the arena. He was so excited to be playing a game seven.
Speaker 2: There, right, yeah, absolutely, what a nugent of information there, What a name nugent?
Speaker 1: Right man?
Speaker 3: No basketball on last night? You can watch whatever you want It was the sympathizer and Game seven of Boilers Canucks for me, that was the sympathizer. That's pretty good. Oh okay, so far we're three episodes in and Robert Downey Junr Is playing four roles. Oh Jesus, that's crazy. It's like naughty professor mode. Check it out.
Speaker 2: That was the TNT show for a second. The sympathizer. Anthony Edwards. He hooked me in when he said post the series against the Nuggets, he said, I'm guarding Kyrier Ving next series. He got mem Yeah, and Kyrie as good as he was defensively against Jalen Williams against Okay, see, in round two, he didn't have to do that much offensively. They weren't running plays for him. Kyrierving, the talented Kierving averaged only fifteen point seven points per game in round two. Very weird stuff. So you know, he will have I think a little bit of ease on the other end. Defense. Will probably have to guard some Conley and some mcdanielson. Maybe he'll have to guard Edwards because that's where Dallas suffers a little bit. I mean, who's gonna guard Anthony Edwards Probably Luca, but anyway, just the fact that Anthony Edwards said I'm guarding Kyrie is going to be interesting to me. And if Kyrie can turn it up a little bit, because he is going to be needed very much to be a better offensive player, if they're going to be able to beat the Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to be a fun matchup. We have the league's highest scoring duo against one of the best pairs of perimeter defenders in McDaniels and Edwards. Everybody's bringing up that clip from a regular season game. I know they don't mean anything, but that one where they did a good job. McDaniels and Edwards did of sort of shutting down Kyrie and Luke at the end of there, and they're like, who' shooting it? Who's shooting it? Who's shooting it? And they were doing a good job on them. So that is going to be a fun fun watch. What are you watching for in this.
Speaker 3: Best player wins this series? Okay, who's the best player? That's the question for me. Is it going to be and Edwards or is it to be Luka Doncic Luca more established, He's been to a conference finals, all the All nbas in the world basically since his rookie season, and Edwards though, feels like he's got a lot of momentum behind him and not great matchups. I don't think for him on the Dallas side, like Derek Jones junior, He's probably getting the majority of that assignment on Edwards, I would imagine, but Kyrie will guard him a little bit. I think maybe Dante Exam gets a little turn. I think Josh Green will guard as well. So the MAVs are gonna have to be really schemey with things, which we saw quite a bit in their Thunder series. They were at boxes and elbows on Shay the entire time. They would double him, they would double Jalen Williams. They're gonna pack the paint, so the three point shooters from Minnesota are gonna have to hit for Luca. It all comes down to controlling his emotions. It really really does. Because Jaden McDaniels is a guy who likes to get under your skin. He's gonna have to be up on Luca because I don't think he has the bulk that like Alu Doort does to be able to be physical with him. I'm also a little worried about will he be poised enough, because that's a guy who can go just a little bit over the edge, I think as well. But it's gonna have to be an efficient scoring uh series from Luka Doncic, which we haven't really seen yet in this playoffs. He's been getting his numbers like I don't even think we mentioned the guy was like a thirty point triple double in their last game to close out the Thunder. But he still hasn't shot the ball really well, hasn't shot it very well from three. So I'm interested to see if Luca keeps the crown between these two guys or if Aunt supersedes him. And I really really hope we get these two talking trash to each other. These are like two of the biggest trash talkers in the game, and they'll do it NonStop.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely love all that stuff. I'm also watching the offensive glass. These are the two best offensive rebounding teams left in the playoffs, both the Wolves and the Mavericks. The Mavericks they got at least fourteen offensive rebounds in four games so far in the playoffs. But Minnesota, man, they got the size, like these guys are jumbo. We got Rudy kat nasried. They're gonna try their best to limit those second chance opportunities. So that's something to watch. Like some of these teams, Both of these teams, I should say, like a little sloppy with the ball at times, and so you know they can they both have to be really good on the offensive glass when you're talking about possessions. So who can do a better job at getting those second chance opportunities which more times than not, you know, you get the rebound, they'll lead out to a or they get kicked out to a three point shooter who usually knocked it down in rhythm. So fun fun stuff. X factor either team, where are you going this is?
Speaker 2: This is a deep one. It's a deep cup. But I think, just like what the Minnesota Timberwolves did against the Denver Nuggets, where Rudy Gobert was basically sort of along the baseline at times guarding Aaron Gordon, he was allowed to stay near the rim and that helped them a lot. I think them haves really really really need Maxi Kleba back, and it'd be huge just to get Rudy Colbert the heck away from the rim as much as possible. He would play the five and there would be no choice, but Rudy Gobert would have to go out to take him outside, because we've.
Speaker 1: Seen that before. Yeah, twenty twenty two, get in the matchup between the Mavericks and then go Beart when he was with the Jazz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Luca was able to abuse Rudy Gobert in that matchup, they'd get the switch and he would be really good on him. Now, Rudy Gobert has improved even since then, so I don't doubt Rudy Gobert's defense. It will be interesting to see how many bodies as you went through. Luca had to be guarded by Dort last series. Now it's McDaniel's a different body type, but a long, long, really good defender. There's going to be multiple guys who are thrown at him, I'm sure, and Luca could hunt a Conley or an Edwards or a Gobert or a Cat because they're just going to try and get the switches. But Gobert is so good against those lobs, like when he will be guarding Gafford or Lively, He's just he's really good at it. So I think they just want to stretch him as much as possible. That is the benefit, the benefit they could could could have. Maximilian Kliba is not scheduled to come back until multiple games. I mean he's been working out, yes, but it's doesn't look all that good and he is key, I think, to helping this Dallas offense because this one, it just has so many freaking guys offensively. It is going to be interesting to see Luca Versus Anthony Edwards Paquett in this series. Should should go off. He's gonna be guarded by PJ Washington most likely. He should have a good series, and he looked good obviously in the last round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maxi Kleiba right shoulder injury and he's begun basic basketball activity. He's scheduled to be reevaluated later this week, so we may not even see him at all. But yeah, yeah, he was on fire in that series in twenty twenty two because yeah, go Behar couldn't get out to him and he was knocking the threes. But some of these other Maverick guys have obviously done a great job of hitting three pointers. The corners are gonna be there and those guys can't miss. Right now, PJ Washington, Jerk Jones Junior. A lot of them are just money right now in the corners. They got to continue that. Who's your X factor?
Speaker 3: TK Dallas Bags is huge, I think, and then Kat factors in as an X factor because the guy's like a super mismatch right now. I also wonder if Kyle Anderson will guard Luka Doncetz a little bit, he'll get torn up. I do believe if that happens, but they can at least try it for a little bit. As for another X factor, I think it's JD and d Jaden McDaniels and Derek Jones Junior. They're in the exact same spot, and this one they've got a huge defensive responsibility. They got to take care of. Jane's gonna be gardening Luca a lot, Derek Jones Junior is gonna be garden at a lot. And then on offense, that's where anybody is hiding. Jane McDaniels, you're getting open three pointers. Derek Jones Junior, you're getting open three pointers. Who makes more of them? That might be the entire series right there.
Speaker 1: Right Derek Jones Junior obviously turned it on in that last series as it went on. Jaden McDaniels shot seventy five percent over the last two games against Denver, average twenty two points in those Game six and Game seven victories. That's a that's a huge one. That's who I wrote down is exactly what I wrote down to TK was Jayden McDaniels and Derek Jones Junior. Which one can keep playing at that sort of incredible level offensively. You know they're gonna bring it defensively. You're always watching foul trouble like well Ant you know, sort of bait Derek Jones Junior into one or two, you know, crappy fouls. Same with the Luca on Jana McDaniels. But they're gonna be sound there. It's just can they contribute offensively because someone's got to be left open and it will be those guys. Yeah, but they've made a lot of these teams pay and the reason why they're into the conference finals.
Speaker 2: Right. We didn't even mention Nikhil. Alexander Walker is a guy who could potentially be thrown on Luca or thrown on Kyrie just to get under their skin a little bit. Not that they're going to play fourth quarter. He's going to play fourth quarters. But we saw him do a great job against Devin Booker in round one just to get under his skin when they played the Phoenix Suns, and around two wasn't needed as much because of the Timberwolves were just so good because Anthony Edwards is a good defensive player. But there's just a huge list of defensive players on the Minnesota Timberwolves. They're very, very good at that. So I want to see how Dallas their strength is their back coward. They're two guys, and so they are going to have a lot of guys thrown at them, many guys thrown at them.
Speaker 1: I think prediction time, TK, Let's start with you, because I'm going with whoever you pick. You've been on fire in the Western Conference Finals when it comes to predictions. This is obviously a great matchup, feels like it's going to go long. Wolves are maps how many games.
Speaker 3: It's because I keep picking the MAVs that I keep coming to you can win this series. If Luca and Kyrie are the best two players in the series. Luca has to be the number one best player. Kyrie probably slots in at number three. But if they're two of the top three, I think the MAVs can absolutely win this series. Their defense is pretty good, like we're kind of obviously. The Timberwolves are a legendary defense. People are talking about him as the best defense in the past twenty years. But the MAVs are pretty good as well. And I think there might be more players on the Timberwolves who could be taken out of this series, like Kyle Anderson wasn't a factor against the Nuggets. Eventually Nikhil Alexander Walker, they were leaving him open against the Nuggets or the Nuggets were as well. So I worry about having like all three of Alexander Walker, SloMo and Rudy Gobert on the court. That's three non shooters for a team in Minnesota that doesn't always score super well. Though they have been awesome, It's so such a weird story with the Timberwolves. Karl Anthony Towns goes out at the end of the season. You're like they're gonna be bad, and then they got great on offense and it has continued into the postseason as well. Very very oppressive. Man, I don't know picking against Anthony Edwards right now. I don't love it. MAVs in seven.
Speaker 1: Wow, MAVs in seven. He's gonna stick with the Dallas train working for him. Here, where are you going?
Speaker 2: I hear you, well, I wore this jersey for the reason that I'm taking on Minnesota Timberwolves. Yeah. I wasn't smart enough to take Dallas last series, that's for sure. And they were doing a good job of guarding Shay with multiple bodies, even though she was awesome, But they were showing him multiple bodies, which I assume they're going to do the same with Anthony Edwards. Here's our guys, what are you gonna do? Anthony Edwards? And it is miraculous that they lose Karl Anthony Towns for six weeks and they become better in the postseason. Their offense is actually better, and I think part of it is Anthony Edwards has gotten better at reading defenses, reading, Oh, there's two bodies close to me, even though they're not doubling me. To keep moving that thing. He's become a quicker decision maker. He's become a postseason decision maker. And I just believe in the Wolves offensively, and I think that the fact that they lost both games to start the series against the Denver Nuggets excuse me not to start the series, but those two key games at home in Games three in Games four will help them a little bit going forward because that was just abysmal for them. I'm taking them. I do think home court helps them out in this series because I don't see them losing two games in a row like that. Again, it's gonna be a fun one. The Dallas Mavericks. What is Jason Kidds stat that he's like one on eleven in his last twelve game ones or something ridiculous that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lucas even yeah, of course game one record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, Luca got better as that series went on. Game six and game seven, he was good. So I don't know how you take against bet against Dallas, but this kind of feels like Dallas of twenty eleven when everybody was picking against Dallas in that postseason. Kind of feels like the timber Wolves are in that position. So I think they get to the finals. I'm taking the Wolves. I'll give them. I'll give a lot of respect to Dallas. Seven games for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going Wolves in seven. You got Mavericks in seven. I told you I'm going wherever Drey Kirby's going, so I'm going Mavericks and seven. It's a coin flip. I think this is going to be a seven game series. It's gonna go along. What's really fun is by the end of June, we are gonna have either Anthony Edwards winning a championship at twenty two years old. We're gonna have Luca doing it at what twenty five his first Tatum twenty six or Halliburton at twenty four. A young star in this league is going to get their first championship. Is going to be one of those teams. And look, some people say, if we get Wolves and Celtics, then that means Al Horford and Mike Conley winning too. Do you have a dream finals matchup that you just like as a fan, just want to see the most. Is it Wolve Celtics, Is it Mavericks Celtics? Do you want the Pacers in there to feel good story? Where are you going? Or do you care?
Speaker 2: When I dream? I don't usually dream about the finals, but today today it's kind of hard to dream for the Celtics when they had the opportunity to go to so many and they've been there already to one. I mean I don't know. No, I'm dreamless. I gotta be got to question the finals.
Speaker 3: This is a dream.
Speaker 2: You you asked for a dream.
Speaker 3: Okay, who do you want.
Speaker 1: To see the finals?
Speaker 3: I want to see balls Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: Okay, who do you? A realist?
Speaker 2: Very good? Who are you dreaming?
Speaker 1: I want to see.
Speaker 3: Edwards in the Okay, I'm looking for otherwise, I don't really care.
Speaker 1: It's just a preference.
Speaker 3: And if if the Timberwolves make it, I'll do Timberwolves of Minnesota again because the old lyrics have Dangelo Russell.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, yeah, I was a banger for sure. All Right, well, let's hear from everybody. You want to say, I want to see Wolve Celtics. Yeah, I want to see Anthony Edwards in the finals, but.
Speaker 2: Luca deserves to get there.
Speaker 1: Sure, I just went through it. You won't be upset with any of those, Well, I mean there will people. People will be upset with the Celtics winning because people just like to shoot on the Celtics. But a young star winning their first ring, that's fantastic. So all four of those is awesome. But I just want to see Aunt because he's the most charismatic guy in the league. Guess did him in the finals? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The tatums is he doesn't feel young because he's this is year seven and has gone through so many playoffs and have been through so many conference finals. He is the oldest of all of them, and they've got so many old guys, so it just it's a it's a perfect recipe for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It would also be hilarious for Karl Anthony Towns to win a championship ring before Jimmy Butler. That would just be very funny as well.
Speaker 3: Wigan's got one.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right. He did there, he did, So let's hear from everybody out there. Predictions for both of those conference finals series. They start tonight in the East and then it's West on Wednesday night, and I guess it's just every other night until they're done.
Speaker 3: Every other night.
Speaker 1: There's no big gaps, which is good. We're getting one basketball game a night. You can really focus and we'll be breaking it down here on the show the next morning stream team.
Speaker 3: They think it's a coin flip as well. Fifty two percent are taking the Timberwolves in six or seven games. Thirty four percent are taking the Mavericks in six or seven games. Then you got nine percent Timberwolves in four or five, three percent MAVs in four or five. Sorry, there's only four choices available.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, right, Yeah, we can't give you seven options or what.
Speaker 3: Can't do it? All? Right?
Speaker 1: Let's get to some news from yesterday. Victor Wemenyama chet Holmgren have been unanimously selected to the twenty twenty three twenty four All Rookie First Team. Both players received first team votes on all ninety nine ballots from a global panel of sports writers and broadcasters. Why is chet in at okac Jersey No one knows? Joining Wemby, chet Aka, Wett, and Chembi on the All Rookie First Team are Hornets wing Brandon Miller, heat forward Jim Hawks Junior and Warriors guard Brandon Pojimski the NBA All Rookie Second Team, Maverick center Derek Lively the second, Rockets guard Slash forward on Men Thompson, Jazz guard Kiante George, OKC guard Case and Wallace.
Speaker 3: Also in a.
Speaker 1: Summary League Jerseys and Grizzlies forward Gigi Jackson the second. Jackson the only member of either All Rookie team not drafted in the first round. He went forty fifth overall. Any issues with these selection here on the all Rookie teams, any snubs? What do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's weird that there's only ninety nine votes. Once again, there was ninety nine votes for the Rookie of the Year award. One voter didn't turn in their awards. I'll also say it's weird that Brandon Miller wasn't a unanimous first teamer. He only got ninety eight votes total. Yeah, so somebody left him off the one and two teams. Does not make sense to me. It doesn't make sense at all. I think it's interesting to see Brandon Pajemski as the fifth slot in the on the first team ahead of Derek Lively. Derek Liveley has also obviously had an awesome postseason, Pods was probably better in the regular season. I feel like we all came down on choosing him as our fifth guy because it was between those two for the end of the first team. I think the biggest snub is probably Trace Jackson Davis, but I like Gg Jackson getting a little love as well. He had a really good season for the Grizzly, so I'm too upset about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trace Jackson Davis nearly made that All Rookie second team. You're in one point less than GG Jackson. Maybe there was a mistake in terms of Jackson or Jackson Davis when people were doing the voting. Who knows, but Jackson, the Grizzlies forward, made four fewer ballots but received five first team votes. Well, tjd was on the second team on all forty two ballots. He appeared, and that's why GG Jackson just got in there.
Speaker 2: GG Jackson nineteen year old who was basically elevated almost midway through the season. He's only played in forty eight games this season, but he was elevated when they had all those injuries with John Morant and Smart Smart. Everybody was injured, so he comes in and fills in. I think if there's anyone that you can ridicule for making a bad vote and ridicule him for a specific award, it's probably this one because every other award they seem to get it right, but in this one you can poke some holes in their second team. I think the first team is absolutely correct, but there's guys that should get some some nods trace Jack and Davis. Sure, I'm sorry Thompson. I know he he had a bad ending to the year, but he was really good to start the year, and he played a ton of games and he did get injured, so he's not even not even sniffing the second team here, which is odd. I mean, he was good. I know the Piston's stunk, but anyway, it's nice to get all these rookies just mentioned again one more time, just mentioned them.
Speaker 1: Of the top fourteen picks so the lottery in the twenty three draft, only five got All Rookie honors, the Wemby Miller, Aman, Thompson, Wallace who did play all eighty two games, and then Lively. So you know, some notable names that didn't make it. Scoot Henderson, you know, not being on one of these squads as rough. He shot thirty eight percent from the field on a very bad team. He averaged fourteen to five and three. You know, he found it for weeks at times, but really overall shot poorly. And then a bunch of other names like Coolibali, people were upset maybe didn't sniff an all rookie second team. You know, a bunch of other guys didn't play as much like Walker and Hendricks and stuff like that. But yeah, the SR Thompson, the TJD and probably you know, the Scoot and maybe Bulow cool of BALI I can't get too upset about All Rookie second Team, So I gotta be honest. I just I'm like, okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 3: I would for me, It's more like I would be disappointed if I'm a Portland fan. Y See, the guy that you tanked basically two seasons for you got a number three pick in Scoot and he didn't even make the second team. The guy's just got to become the biggest Deer and Fox fan in the world. He didn't even make an All Rookie team. Yeah either, look at him now he's an All star.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, before we go, Tweet of the Night.
Speaker 2: Tweet O the Night wowwet.
Speaker 3: Oh tweeted the night he gets brought to you by Anthony Edwards. Basically he's doing a whole bunch of Minnesota tourism. Yeah, increasingness. So our first tweet from Tweet of the Night comes to us from Steve Russian, who mentions, bring you ass dot Com takes you to the Minnesota tourism website the Star of the North. Explore Minnesota dot com apparently comedian and Wolves fan John Savat perched it, purchased bring You Ass dot Com and then redirected it to Explore Minnesota's website. And I saw even Explore Minnesota has been telling people to bring their ass all right to Minnesota. It's gotten all over the place.
Speaker 2: D D. F.
Speaker 3: Baker did up there Welcome to Minnesota sign with a little bring you Ass down at the bottom. And then our friends over Breaking Tea they dropped a new Minnesota theme, bring you Ass Tea that you can get by going over to Breaking Tea dot com. You guys, ever been to Minnesota? Ever been to Minneapolis?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 3: I would, I would. I would like to go to you. I assume I did. I wanted to for a wedding once upon a time. Within five minutes of landing, walking through the airport, I saw Michael Beasley. Oh yeah, he was a wolf at one point in time. I think we went to the Minnesota State Fair. They've got like a legendary state fair. Really it was awesome, but just like.
Speaker 1: In sure size of it or yeah, and.
Speaker 3: The treats they will offer you. I remember we had. The best thing we had was bucket of cookies pretty self explained, just a straight up like I don't know, ten inches by diameter wise ten inches, it was a circle. You're just walking around with a whole pail of cookies for the whole day. It's great and last year until you get to the deep fried tent where you can get a deep fried anything. We had deep fried oreos. I know what you're thinking, chocolate chip cookies into oreos. Yeah, I did it. I'm crazy. That's what it's like at Minnesota. I don't know what other stuff they got going on. I think we set foot in the Mall of America for a second. They've got like an amusement park there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just about to ask you there. It looks like it's in Bloomington.
Speaker 3: I don't know how close Bloomington, but.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's pretty goody Okay, you like to go? Fly you there? With all this branding you got going.
Speaker 2: On right here, I'd love to go to Little Canada for sure. Yes, I've heard some great Minnesota accents. Not from Minnesota, but people who journey out down here to the South it feels like I'm talking to a Canadian at times, So yeah, I'd love to go. It seems beautiful.
Speaker 1: My favorite part about the whole bring You Ass comment from Anthony Edwards to Charles Barkley, who said he'd basically never been to Minneapolis, was people then pointing out, hold on, Chuck, weren't you just there for the Final four like five years ago in twenty nineteen. I believe the Final Four was in Minneapolis, and I think he was covering it with you know, TBS and all that Auburn his team was like in the Final four. So oh yeah, I guess he just forgot he was there.
Speaker 2: I see a photo of him here, Yes, April six, Banks Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretty sure that's Chuck and Minnison. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he just last than twenty years.
Speaker 1: He just forgets he was there. Thanks jesss Myers, and you brought up that fantastic break Bring Your Ass shirt that's available at Breaking Tea. We also because the people wanted it. They wanted some No Dunks, Wolves and Mavericks gear because we've got a lot of our No Dunks logos sort of remixes for a bunch of the other teams. We have the Pacers, we already have the Celtics. We now have a Wolve shirt and a Maverick shirt. No Dunks. That's gonna be going up basically right this second. I'm getting emails from Jamie Matrum saying feel free to tease on air. It's coming right up, he says. So by the time you're listening to this, maybe even watching it later on YouTube, go to Breaking Tea dot com and search for those. You can go to No Dunks dot com. They'll take you right to our page there on Breakingtea dot Com. So Breaking Team, man, they move fast. The people wanted it and we got it. They're nice looking shirts too. Yeah, I know, all right. We'll call it there. Conference Finals previews again, let's hear from everybody out there. I want to see your picks in the comments below, your reasoning, what you're watching for, your X factors, obviously, who's winning it and how many games? And also, please somebody tell me your dream Finals matchup. Let me know in the comments. We'll be back tomorrow breaking down Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals and all the NBA news. I think we have all defensive teams being named later this afternoon, we'll talk a little defense Deff. That's tomorrow until Dan Clipper Brose.
Speaker 3: You heard it here first. Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys, awesome, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And remember I know people out there don't like the banging of tables during our podcast, but it has been reduced. It has been reduced greatly this season. I would say, somebody do the stats. How many bangs there have been months to months to month. It's reduced.
Speaker 1: It definitely got better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's reduced.
Speaker 1: Brace the day, people,