Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: The rut has been rocking and Roland. It is Thanksgiving week and I am very thankful for many things in this world, and I am thankful that this gear are still doing the thing. This is rot Fresh.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Everyone? Welcome to rut Fresh Radio, rock you by First Light Gear. I'm your host k C.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 2: Tyler Jones is here as well, and want to inform you first and foremost that you need to be thankful. You have a lot to be thankful for. I don't care who you are.
Speaker 3: Don't do this to me. Why you know what you're doing?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. It's it's for real, man. I mean, there's there's just the air we breathe, the woods outside, the near running around. You know, the life that we've been gifted is a blessing and I'm thankful for it. If you are the kind of person who thinks that you might want to buy some gifts for some people. First Light is having a Black Friday seal, right, now, you can go in there and get you all kinds of good stuff. You can even have it in time for some winter hunting if you want to.
Speaker 3: Are we going to have a first Light cell at the Element? What do you mean? Sorry? Are we going to have a Black Friday cell at the Element? Maybe? I hope, So, I don't know, I hope. So we were fixing me selling some T shirts and shirts and stuff. So I'm pretty scad about that. Yeah, But I'm most excited this week for hen. Turkey's on my plate? Dude, do you have one to eat? And I mean, I got a turkey. I'm sure my mom's gonna make a turkey for us. I'm sure, but I don't know if it's gonna be a hen. But what do you think they do? You can't make it? God will sound very good with my mouth. What do you think they do with all the hens?
Speaker 2: Because I think that the most of is that what it is, They just all go into production. I think so the majority of turkey that's eating is probably gobs. If there if you're cooking a big guy or a big turkey. It's probably a god right, Yeah, it's gotta be. Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah, I bet it's like cattle man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I beat heifers too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're mostly eating steers and letting them Yeah, halfsp so probably so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Tyler, it's a weird time of year. But I can tell you that just from some of our recent experiences. I'm gonna be honest with you. I had a little bit of the oh no, it's over. I missed my operaortunity. Did you I did? When did you have that? Probably driving home about a week and a half ago. It felt like once we got to the twenties in the dates that it was just like man, no more. Really, I felt I felt better about the second I know you do. I think that it's because you just have a little more experience hunting some of the Midwestern stuff in the later dates than I do. I've just well, one year, I did kill a buck on the twenty third, but outside of that, I've killed a deer fifteenth and earlier pretty much anytime I've hunted the Midwest, and you're so good. No, it's just because I'm willing to shoot smaller deer than you, no whatever do I do think, you know, to just kind of offer that encouragement that we do to try to be pretty encouraging around here. Man, deer doing the thing almost until the new year in most of the country, as weird as that sounds, and especially in the next couple of weeks, right, I mean, and truth be told, even once kind of the rut does seem to be over, you know, bed to food is still a really good way to kill a deer. Yeah, And so like there's just a lot of opportunity out there. I don't know. One of the things I kind of learned throughout this rut is that I might not actually like the rut as much as I thought I did. Really, Yeah, you're a little bit of inpredicted, unpredictable for sure.
Speaker 3: Right now, What if you were a guy who only had five acres, would you like the rut more?
Speaker 4: You think?
Speaker 2: And I only hunted that.
Speaker 3: I guess what I'm saying is like if you didn't have because you got a couple of nice private tracks to hunt, yeah, and so do I. And there that's because we hunt together. I mean, if if you deer in public, if you're in public or something like that. You may like the rut better because you know these people that have not that we have any of this on our private pieces or anything, but like the's people that have these big old summer food plots and all you know, they're leaving corn and all this, and that you might you might only have a chance of that deer on their property during rut.
Speaker 2: I think that limited time would make me like the rut more than limited acreage. I think that if you if you're a kind of guy who hunts only on the weekends or you know, uh, just only has like maybe five days total in the woods, Yeah, the rut is just awesome because you there's gonna be deer running around and you can you can manipulate them. Was calling inside.
Speaker 3: I think also for a guy that wants to kill like a pope and young say, but if you're like, oh, I'm holding out for that one sixty, that's you know, or I'm the guy who's holding out for a target deer right like you. I mean you may not even have one sixties where you're at yet, maybe that your target deer is a one forty one or whatever.
Speaker 2: Limited and limited time both don't like if I could advise someone don't put yourself in that box. If you're if you have limited time, order go out and find a dear that's doing something cool and shooting, you know, like it's uh it's a good way to like sit all year and kind of be miserable and maybe not be one hundred and three.
Speaker 3: Or four years. I'm telling you that I did the target deer thing. I think it was day two of that first hunt when you were like, I'm going to leave that deer and go somewhere else, and I was like, well, I'll go over in hunt him because you told me how easy it was, you know, you just talk.
Speaker 2: The first day.
Speaker 3: After that it was ridiculously hard. Which that was the only days with the dough. So that's that's the thing that made a difference, you know. And so uh he became uh more predictable outside of his rut behavior, but also because of that deer uh and what he is and who like, how how he behaves right, how wise that deer is, and how arrey he is, it made him extremely hard hunt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if you had a deer that was just bed to food, not super wise to hunters or whatever, October could be a pretty good time for you.
Speaker 2: It could be it might be uh in the future for us too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's uh, every deer season is different, and this one has definitely felt a lot different than the ones in the past, and it's how it's always going to feel. And it's really one of the things that keeps us liking to do it for sure, you know, because it's uh, you just there's no like, oh, remember fourth is a day when we kill the deer this year, and it's how it's always going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always different, dude. I'll tell you. There's a there's a thing that we deal with because you know, we do have we have to make plans for where we go in the year, and so like you either have limited you do have limited time sometimes, but it's only in that area or whatever. And so I think what you sometimes what you run into or I feel this a lot, is like, oh, dude, I'm not going to kill on this trip because you know, the ruts winding down this next trip and then from there I got to go do this and that's not going to be that great a hunt. It's just something kind of stuck in there or whatever. And it's like you start looking at things. You're like, obviously, being tired kind of uh can affect your attitude as well, right, And also and you're just like, I'm not going to kill another deer this year, Right've killed one and that's all. That's all we kill this year, you know, which I mean most people would love to kill just one deer year, you know, I mean one big buck, right, But I just I feel that way sometimes And then I come home from a trip like we just had, and I'm like, man, I just need to not I just need to not like worry about that stuff, probably quite as much as I do, and just which I've done better, but I like, just continue to hunt hard, that's the main thing, right, Like, continue to go out there, get up at the right time, go out there, don't sit in the truck too long when you get to the parking spot.
Speaker 2: These are all things that I did and still kill the deer, sofa.
Speaker 3: And you can, right, But like you're also really really good on the ground, so I think that, yeah, but you also have you have the the kind of note don't give up kind of thing too, Like you may not have the get started kind of thing, but you don't you have to don't get up the kind of thing you gotta.
Speaker 2: You gotta be able to judge your situation. And you know, if you're going to glass from a vehicle, there's no reason to be there an hour before the sun gets up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, but if you do, then you get you might bump the deer because you're moving your trucks.
Speaker 2: What do you know about that?
Speaker 3: I know something about it, so Tyler.
Speaker 2: What Tyler is alluding to is that him and I both had some really great blessings of success this past week and those have been posted over on the Element Instagram if you want to check that out, and.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it on our podcast too.
Speaker 2: We're talking about it on our podcast. It's coming out pretty soon as well. But enough about us, y'all are here to hear from hunters around the country. Tyler, who do we have this week?
Speaker 3: Well, we've got one of our good buddies, Patrick pay Singer. He works with that end game calls and somehow being known for their turkey calls. Patrick is just a white tailed deer killer. He is. He finds a way to shoot Mondo's and he's going to be talking to us about Tennessee. We've also got another dead end game called guy who's Jeremy Kritcher out in North Carolina. He killed him a buck out there the other day. And that's that's North Carolina's kind of under the radar kind of place. So I feel like there's some pretty good bucks and there's real cool habitat.
Speaker 2: It might be the prettiest state in the country. I need to go there, Yeah, for sure, for sure you do. Yeah, you should go there sometime and do that. Jake Belinda who had some recent success in another state, but he will be in Pennsylvania and has been there for the next foreseeable future. So he's got a good report from US for US for that state. And we've got our own Chris Christopher Webb who has been hunting Texas and killed just such a nice, just dark headed deer the other day here in North Texas. Awesome, let's get the reports. We are making the rounds with dead end game calls today because we have got Patrick Paysinger in Tennessee. Man, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Patrick?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 2: You seen them deer out there? Yes, I am.
Speaker 6: I actually sat Sunday evening after church about gotten the stand about three pm. It was a good high pressure, clear started cooling off real good towards sunset, and seen a lot of deer, a lot of deer on their feet.
Speaker 2: You know, just as a little background for folks that don't know you actually are probably known for turkey hunting, but you're quite the deer slayer yourself. And even there where you're at in Tennessee, you've killed some of the biggest deer around. And I don't want to make you blush, but it's a podcast, so nobody will know. But you know, Tennessee a state that isn't known for giant bucks. But at the same time, has big Bucks had the world record for a little while. You know, what's what's kind of the thing that gets big bucks killed in Tennessee in your area?
Speaker 6: Yes, over the years, Tennessee has done a really good job at the management and uh, you know, growing up, we were a four bucks state limit and now it's down to two, so that has really helped. And in East Tennessee where I'm at, one of the major things that we've what I've seen is is going back into the nineties, when I grew up, it was all cattle pasture and tobacco fields. Yeah, and once the government did the big tobacco buy out. A lot of these farms has transitioned over to corn and beans agriculture because we're at the foothills of the mountains and it's rolling. So we've got a lot of open fields and bottoms and those are converted to ag.
Speaker 2: And you know how good that is for deer. Yeah, for sure, for sure. So in that area of the country, is there a lot of crops still in or is a lot of stuff harvested?
Speaker 6: Pretty much all of it's harvested. Something I do on my farm. We used to I've got one hundred acres there and it was growing up, it was always pasture and cattle, and now I've converted. I've got a good friend that does ag, so he does soy beans are corn, and what he does on the back two acres, he leaves it standing for me. So I've pretty much got the only crops still standing. And I put a couple of white tail Institute food plots that butt up right against it, and you'll see the deer will transition, come out, hit the clover, hit the greens, and then go into the grains.
Speaker 3: Man, it sounds like you got a good setup. From here on out to the end of the year.
Speaker 6: Yes, my place will get better and better because I leave the pressure off I've got on the Basically, I've got an acre of acre and a half of standing beans, two green food play and then on the other side of the green food plots, I've got an acre of CRP. So they've got everything in this back corner and then hardwoods on the other side of it. And I just don't hunt it much. I can sit back and watch it a little bit from my house and then monitor the trail cameras and then whenever I see a deer move in and everything's right, then I go in.
Speaker 3: So you know, when you say see a deer, I'm assuming you're talking about mostly on trail camera. Now what are your trail camera? What do they look like right now? Are they deer moving around? Are you seeing big bucks show up? Are they not near the food or they near the food? What's the deal?
Speaker 6: So right now, it's smack dab in the middle of just major breeding.
Speaker 2: I'd say right in the middle of it.
Speaker 6: Usually the week leading into Thanksgiving is prime time breeding. And what I'm seeing is is the dose are concentrating hitting the beans. They are pouring out in the bean every evening and I'm seeing those those real small bucks irritate them, and then I'm getting pictures or seeing those big boys cruise in.
Speaker 2: So it's it's definitely peak of the rut.
Speaker 3: Would you say it's, uh, there's a lockdown situation going on right now?
Speaker 2: There is.
Speaker 6: They're there, but they're bouncing off, coming on and off quite a bit. But yeah, it can be that lockdown definitely, because it seems like the big buck that I killed two years ago on my home place, I think it was the eighteenth. I had trail camera pictures the day before I killed him.
Speaker 2: Actually breeding they do.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: So Tennessee is you know, technically the South and if people are listening, they can tell from your accent for sure, just like us, right, but surely not deer. You know, deer in the South are kind of used to warmer tempts, but you know, kind of across the country it's been unseasonably warm for the November. Do you feel like that's suppressed deer movement or are they still pretty daylight active?
Speaker 6: Well, what has suppressed the deer movement where I'm from is acorns. Yeah, we've had a bumper crop of acorns, and until I'd say the past week, it didn't matter what food I had out, I just wasn't getting many deer come out into the food plots or the beans, even when the beans were green and they usually demolished. The end of September, we were having the white oaks fall, and the deer were just staying in the woods.
Speaker 2: So I'm so close to betting that.
Speaker 6: I usually don't see the temperature play a big part of that.
Speaker 2: I think it was mostly the acorns got you.
Speaker 3: So in the next week, do you expect the lockdown situation to be different? You're going to see more buck movement or less buck movement. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I think we're going to see more.
Speaker 6: You know, we're going to get into I traditionally I love that that week of Thanksgiving, in the first week of December, we're right there. As you guys said, that southern transition, if you look at lines Tennessee is like, it's not deep.
Speaker 2: South, it's not north.
Speaker 6: I usually see that that peak of the rut, you know, a week or two later, mostly in our area, and from those dose getting bred the first couple of weeks, you're going to see that you know.
Speaker 2: What is that the drury is called desperately seeking.
Speaker 6: They're not going to be in the complete just food mode, but you're going to have those big boys still want to find that last available though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. So with that being said, do you what would you rink buck moving on a scale of one to ten for the next week in Tennessee, I would say a seven. That's pretty good, man, It's a pretty good time in the woods, that's right.
Speaker 6: The only reason I wouldn't give it higher just because we have been in gun season since Saturday.
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: If gun season, what wouldn't have been going on?
Speaker 6: So that may suppress some dear movement just from you know, pressure, But I think if you're somewhere where that pressure hadn't been affected, you're going to see really good dear man.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. All right, it's a little bit of a bonus question here. Are there better weeks coming or is this the time to be out right now?
Speaker 6: I think if you have a place with low pressure, you've still got to just killer weeks left.
Speaker 3: Awesome?
Speaker 2: Cool, all right, Patrick, appreciate the report, man, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: Talking to one of my old friends, Jeremy Chritcher, here from dead End Game calls Jeremy, how's everything going, dude?
Speaker 7: And too blessed to be the press?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: Hey, I like it, man, I like it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Well, you guys have been blessed, y'all. Yup shot several deer and been out hunting quite a bit, and y'all are about the deadliest turkey people I know. I mean, I'm telling you, if ain't a turkey just out there just shaking in its boots while I'm saying dead end game calls, man, then I don't know what that turkey's doing, because y'all are deadly on the turkeys. But we're talking deer right now. You've been out there in North Carolina and had some success recently. Talk about that a little bit. What was going on when you were able to kill that buck?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 7: So last week we finally where we're out North Carolina. We're kind of at the bottom of the mountain as far as Northwest goes, though, but it's been hot like seventies and it's just not ideal for mid November. Finally had a good col frut push in, but it rained the whole day. But I was watching the wind for this particular buck and the col frut push, and I was like, man, as soon as it's rain stops, he's gonna want to get up. And sure enough, about an hour before it quit, he was on his feet by himself. And but then I got in the stand hoping to hunt that evening, and it just.
Speaker 3: Right there last.
Speaker 7: Light, it come a quick rain. So I kind of got caught in the rain again, and that messed me up because I thought I had everything.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I got as wet as I actually got.
Speaker 7: And a couple of days later, still good, cold, frosty morning got in there and he come right in, just as pretty as he pleases, and just blew the cap on him.
Speaker 2: The powder didn't nignight. Oh. I was like, man, this is not happening.
Speaker 7: But he's still there, And I was like, how did he not spook? And put another cap in? And I'm just like, Lord, please help this shot to go off and just.
Speaker 2: The cap again?
Speaker 3: Oh man, And I'm like he's still there. So where did he? Was he coming into food or what?
Speaker 7: Yes, at this point on camera, a couple of nights he had been with some doze, but this morning in particular, he was coming into cornpile.
Speaker 3: Got you, and oh he well, he was hungry that morning.
Speaker 2: I guess why he wouldn't leave.
Speaker 3: If I was a deer, I'd be killed at food for sure.
Speaker 2: That's my problem.
Speaker 3: We had.
Speaker 7: So so he's still there and I managed to pull the gun off the tripod, unscrew my breech plug dunk the powder loading now round unberknownst to me. I didn't look at it enough. My breech was just caked and wet powder. So when I got this shot off, I guess it just locked. Man, it finally ignited, but it just and he ducked it.
Speaker 2: And uh ran off And I was like, man, that's it.
Speaker 7: And the next that night he actually came right back with a young buck. And then the next morning he was with the dough and she was hot, and he he was more concerned about her, and I was like, well, this evening might be it.
Speaker 3: So hey, real quick on that that morning, when he's with that dough, is he is he coming by the corn? Still? Like is that dough leading him to corn?
Speaker 2: Yes? So what he'll.
Speaker 7: Typically what will happen that I've seen on a hot dough is he might stand in the pile, but he's more concerned about what she's doing. God, he may not even dip his nose down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So so maybe like being at a food source because of the dose is a pretty good reason to be at a food source too, not just because it draws bucks in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think, uh, we have a lot of doze around here, and just and that's what led to his destruction there that evening was because uh he left her.
Speaker 2: I had some does.
Speaker 7: Come in, young bucks come in, grunting the most vocal I've ever heard them on this farm. But the doze just did not want to have it, and so the young bucks would absolutely run them all off. And about five minutes left of legal no camera light.
Speaker 4: But I was like, God, just would you give me one more chance?
Speaker 7: And I've paid that prayer one hundred times, but so sure enough, like fifty yards from me, a deer comes out of the creek, which I have never seen a deer come out this way before, and I'm looking at its butt and again it's dark, I'm in the woods, and I see Antler's moving. I was like, I think that's him. If not, it's that big seven, but I think it's him. And I was like, well, he's probably going to go to the bait pile and he'll turn for me.
Speaker 3: Here in a minute.
Speaker 7: And sure enough, all he did was he he scanned that field and he turned and he went back into the creek to leave. And as soon as he turned back into the creek, I was like, it's now or never, and I shot right then and he wasn't standing at eighty yards and and then he probably didn't go fifty seventy five yards.
Speaker 2: Man smoked him. That's cool, dude, congrats on the big bulls.
Speaker 7: It was fun because I had my little boy and my wife and Mitchell and his son. So I called I called that everybody and was like, hey, I think he's down. And I was like, but there's also a chance, like it's not him. I was like, I think it's him though, But so anyway, having man just having a little tracking party with family like that was just that was what it.
Speaker 2: Was all about. That's a good time. Do you feel like there's still gonna be doze in heat right now? Like, are we still in the dead of the rut there?
Speaker 7: I think some of it's locked down because of just what I've been seeing man. Two weeks ago, two three weeks ago, scrapes were unbelievable. But camera activity wise, I've got a couple different cameras on the farm, and I'll have a dough walking and you know, within between five minutes and an hour a buckle on that same trail. So I think they're still cruising.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, got you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are they going to be pretty daylight active still or is it just too hot?
Speaker 7: So they have been more nighttime. But the good news is within this next week it's supposed to get down into the twenties finally, man, and so we should see. I think they'll definitely be up on their feet more. But I have you know, they really like those cold, frosty mornings as far as what I've been saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure cool.
Speaker 7: So they're just giving far between here man, thirty minutes from here up the mountain, you know, the elevation goes up fifteen hundred feet. I mean they it snowed and my brother was hunting the snow Saturday.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that?
Speaker 3: Hey, would you ever use a like a drag, like a you know, a scent scent drag or whatever?
Speaker 7: I have before? Actually I used one one time in New York. I was hunting on one of our farmers up there, and it I don't know if it makes a difference or not.
Speaker 4: I didn't really know what I was doing back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just thinking because as you know, you said, the Bucks will come through a half hour after a dough comes through. I just wondered if that was That's something I don't like doing. But I have done it before too, and I don't know if I knew enough either at the time. You know, Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I guess it just depends on the.
Speaker 2: Quality of the leriu you're using.
Speaker 7: But yeah, you know, when them bucks when they're when their cruising, they just especially them older bucks, they worked their nose so much there is no telling what can happen for sure.
Speaker 3: Well that's awesome, man, Hey, on a scale and one to what do you think Buck movement is going to be like next week?
Speaker 7: Next week, I think everything's gonna be on their feet. I'd say the problem is it's a little bit late. They might be a little more on lockdown. But I think movement's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be up there. Eight. Oh okay, Yeah, that's awesome man. Well, Jeremy, I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Pel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate the report, Jeremy, and Uh. North Carolina is a state that there's a lot of hunters, but you don't hear a lot of press coming out of there. So we appreciate you giving us a good detailed report on things. Man.
Speaker 2: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yep, y'all have a blessed season. Man, Yes, tell you too. On the phone, I've got Jake Belinda with the void. Jake, you've been hunting up in Pennsylvania. You've been hunting all over actually Pennsylvania recently. How's how's everything going in your neck of the woods.
Speaker 8: Man, It's been going pretty good.
Speaker 5: It uh just wrapped up our our bow season, early bot season.
Speaker 3: So what what you've been seeing during your early bost season is in the last week or so, what's the what's the deer movement like, and what's what are the things that are affecting what those deer are doing.
Speaker 5: So it's the tail end of the rut here in the mountains. I've been seeing a lot of really good early morning movement, some mid a little bit of mid day on the certain weather days, and then you know, evening time the big deer are showing their face where some of the younger class bucks. You know, your two and a half year olds are kind of showing more of a going back to food source pattern.
Speaker 3: Okay, so when you say showing their face, they're they're still doing the thing, the rut thing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, some of the bit.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, this end of the year, this time of year is a really good time to catch some of those big, giant mature bucks on their feet looking for the last estra's dozetcha. Right before you know that, they pretty much go back into hiding.
Speaker 3: So so do you expect to see deer that you haven't ever seen before? Potentially if you're hunting this time of year.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I actually seen a really big dear that I haven't seen. I had pictures of him in August and then he disappeared and then just showed back up. I don't know if I'm you know, he's outside of his core rut range and just kind of hitting those last few known pockets.
Speaker 8: But it's a really good time to catch some big deer on their feet.
Speaker 2: So if they're you got bucks that are out looking for new doughs, what kind of areas are those? Do you find those betting in there in Pennsylvania, Like, what's what's that stuff?
Speaker 5: Looks like it's a lot of mountain hill country, so leeward side, so like it would be like eastern points, ridge points. Dough groups are starting to get pushed back together. I'm starting to see a lot more doze instead of being in singles and doubles, get going back into those groups of four, five and six family groups.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Gotcha?
Speaker 2: So when a buck is going to check those leeward sides, are you is he gonna be? I guess that you're saying leeward on the wind right? So is it gonna be downhill of the end of of those betting areas is kind of where you want to set up?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So, uh I I hunt a lot of you know, big mountaintops, so that bottom third, you know, not quite the very bottom, but the bottom third. They're they're using drainages to basically cut corners as quick as they can to check to see if they can find any hot, hot doughs on those dough betting areas.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So you like kind of the mid mornings then for that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ten o'clock, ten to ten to one on those overcasts. You know, forty degree days seem to be the magic for this late late rut period.
Speaker 3: Gotcha. So in the next week or so, do you expect things to change much much in Pennsylvania as far as do your movement goes, especially buck movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's definitely gonna change, and it's due with a multiple of factors. I mean, we have a very large hunting pressure numbers starting bear season just came in, and then rifle seasons coming up next week. And the older age class of bucks if they're not on a dough basically the young fond does this.
Speaker 8: Uh, I see him going.
Speaker 5: Back to their their places of hide that they've you know, survived four five and six years to get away from the gun hunting pressure.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Gotcha? Okay, so those places, what do those places look like? The hiding places?
Speaker 5: Man, it's very in so everywhere, but uh, steep hillsides, thick terrain, mountain orl thickets where they have isolated food sources for you know, mature dear. Once they're done with the rut here this next week, they like to be isolated and kind of by themselves. You still may catch one or two on some dough dough groups. You know, you have that second cycle coming in about the third of December here, and you might catch a buck on his feet, you know, following some does, but a lot of the majority is going to be isolated by themselves.
Speaker 3: Cool. All right.
Speaker 2: So on a scale of one to ten over the week, what are you gonna rank buck movement in Pennsylvania?
Speaker 8: I think it's gonna be a pretty good I would say seven, because we're getting some We're getting some weather.
Speaker 5: We're supposed to have really cool temperatures, some snow for gun season, So that's gonna get deer on their feet and they'll be seen.
Speaker 3: Awesome, dude. Well, thanks so much for the report, Jake, and I hope you have a good rest of your year.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Man. Thanks The Element's own Christopher Webb. Chris Webb is on the phone. He has been having some success in Texas. Chris, what's happening?
Speaker 8: Dog?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: You know, just got one less tag in my pocket.
Speaker 2: That's nice, man. You still got how many you gotta lift? In?
Speaker 8: Oh? In Texas?
Speaker 2: Well? You know, when they're their bodies are so small, you have to kill quite a few to make up the meat. Yeah. Yeah, that's right, but you killed a really nice buck. Congratulations man, thank you. It's a funny. Tyler tried to claim, you know, something in on it because he had talked to you, But then I had talked to you even more recently than he had, and so we all, you know, if you don't mind, Tyler, and I would like to just also be included tiny bit on the success.
Speaker 3: You can be the one that tags it though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So tell me about what that deer was doing.
Speaker 4: He was, I mean, it was ten minutes after first light. He was just searching, searching for DOZ and so I had the camera I have there showed he was there about an hour earlier, and he was just you know, we're kind of entering that late stage here in North Texas where they're trying to find those last few dos, and so he was that's.
Speaker 7: What he was doing.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, what uh, what's the food source in that area?
Speaker 4: That field has a couple oaks, and then I I run corn there and then I also planted a bunch of oats and stuff.
Speaker 3: So do you think are those oats look good? I mean, like you think that's a big draw for deer right now?
Speaker 4: As they look good? Yes, and as much as I would like to say yes, it really hasn't been the case right now. I think there's still so much food in the woods and they like the corn. But we haven't had a hard freeze yet.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, what's the weather been like? I mean, we've been out of state, but I would assume because I came back and it was like eighty Is that kind of what it's been or is it hot yesterday compared to what it has been the last few days.
Speaker 4: It's been mid days in the sixties and then love's and like the mid to high forties.
Speaker 3: That's not too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad deering weather, but still that cold freeze would make a huge difference on hitting that green food source. Right But you said you had this deer on camera. Are you relying on camera day to quite a bit to make moves right now?
Speaker 8: Right now?
Speaker 4: No, someme of the year is just getting the woods?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, gotcha. So do you feel like most of the dos have kind of gone through cycle? Where you're at or where are we at in the rut in Texas right now?
Speaker 4: I do think most have I hunt a pretty small property that doesn't have a lot of dose. So I think I know for sure that one of them has from some chasing and stuff that I've seen and heard about. So some of the younger ones could come in later.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I feel like the most it's still a good time of year to do some calling right now.
Speaker 4: Where I'm at, I've I've had no success calling, and I have been continuing to experiment, like with deer insight, seeing how they react to different stuff.
Speaker 3: Are use deer calls or something different.
Speaker 4: I rattled out a buck and then he just ran off as fast as.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weirds when a dobin and buck gets after you, Man, that's it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Oh, Chris, Hey, I'm real glad Kse didn't use your nickname in this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get rid of it, man, is he Yeah he did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked like he made a good shot.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was was there a grunt stop involved?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So the deer was eating something, I would assume.
Speaker 4: Uh, he saw a little bit of movement up in the tree when I drew my bow, and it still was kind of dark, and he just really couldn't figure out what I was. And he stopped at about seventeen yards, quartering to a little bit and I just put it a little back of the front shoulder and watched him fall.
Speaker 3: Oh. I thought you were going to say, throat patch, that's the way to go.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, So this deer was in true cruise mode when you first saw him. Yes, And do you expect that to be the case in the next week, that deer still in cruise mode and looking for dose more than they're worried about food.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for Texas for sure. From just historical data and what I saw this weekend, I expect that to continue.
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Can you feel like those pinch points and all are going to be kind of the thing to focus on?
Speaker 3: Are you thinking about.
Speaker 2: More like dough betting or field edges or like what's the what's the go to right now?
Speaker 4: Field edges and dough betting and food are probably the things I would focus on.
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Cool? All right, let's give it a ranking, man, on a scale of one to ten. What do you think buck movement's going to be like over the next week in Texas?
Speaker 4: I think the next week's going to be a nine. It's one of my favorite weeks in Texas.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't think I would disagree. I think it's a really good week in Texas and thankfully you still got tags in your pocket, man, so get out there and get it after.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the repas. Yeah, absolutely anytime.
Speaker 2: I was like, the deer is still doing the thing around the country and it's always a good time to be in the woods as long as you've got an open season. If you want to hear more about Tyler and I's success in the Midwest hunting some big old deer out on the planes, which those two places kind of sounded different, but they touch. They kind of sound different, but they touched, so it's kind of the same place. It's on the Element podcast this week. Go check that out.
Speaker 3: And then also also our very own Mark Kenyon, who has graciously allowed us to bring these reports to you. Mark put out a video on the Media channel a few days back. It's called Hunting and Fishing road Trip with Mark Kenyon. And this is back in the days when he had facial hair. I don't know, does he have that still. I know he shaped it for a while there. I don't know, Yeah, well I think he had.
Speaker 2: He pulled some you know, some ideas from Buck Truck for this, you know what I mean with facial hair, being in a truck and all that kind of.
Speaker 3: He tried to put a buck boat in that thumbnail out there. Anyway, Mark's been out doing some cool stuff and like he usually does, he does some He's one thing Mark does really good is he like takes a dream and makes it come to fruition. You know, like like it's not just like sometimes we're just like a it's just two dudes going and go him dear hunting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes Mark's like, Hey, what's the coolest thing I could possibly do? And I'm gonna go pull this on.
Speaker 2: That's right, I mean Mark. One of Mark's streams is to go do you hunt with us? And he pulled it off one time.
Speaker 3: Dude, isn't that crazy? Note I think he's been downhill since then.
Speaker 2: Go watch that video if you want. You guys, we're gonna link all that stuff in the description below. Remember, I know that we all want to get out and hunt deer right now, and honestly, as a hunter, we get one track minded a lot of times. But it is a good time of year to stake a step back and spend some time with your family, telling me you love him, telling me thankful for him, and uh, get head out the door and go hunting.
Speaker 3: Eagle hunting afterwards.
Speaker 2: Make sure you do Thanksgiving the lunches so you can hunt the afternoon. But no, really, I mean you're gonna have a here, a lot of marketing this week about going to stores and buying stuff and this and that and the other. And you know, it is fun to give gifts, so I'm not saying that, but remember like what this week is actually about. It's about giving thanks for all that we have been given. And remember that this has been rough, fresh keep it fresh.