Speaker 1: Why was it she eating pussy at this episode? The bosses? Anything? But why did we have to go through that or hook up with one of those girls and then get sued ver sexual flossment?
Speaker 2: Like that's a great PLOTLINEU.
Speaker 1: She's sheen ami no ma ma yo?
Speaker 3: What is your child trauma?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Your's going down the floor like.
Speaker 4: Round.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Like a Virgin, the show where we give yesterday's pop culture today's takes.
Speaker 2: I'm Rose DomU and I'm Fran Toronto.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do we feel about the eight and of it all? Because I you know, I wasn't sure if the show was trying to make it look like they were moving too fast or trying to romanticize how fast they were moving, But either way, I thought they had really good chemistry and it bred is like believable to me of two people picking up a relationship for the third time and really just speed running it.
Speaker 2: It's one hundred percent real, right. The realism of the show, I think is sometimes strong suit and more often than not the thing that makes it really boring, you know, like Aiden coming into the fold right now and Carrie calling them immediately a wei so to speak. As Sema said, She's like, look, you're a we now, which I think was a really effective line, like this is a real quarrel that real friends go through. And I was like, everything about this feels earned. My issue with aid In and other plot loin plot points like him PLoP plot loins. Let's say that everything about Aiden and what happened, I'm so fried. Can you even hear? You can kind of hear in my voice that I I lost it a little throat, Yeah, I lost it during all invasion, I kind of lout giving.
Speaker 1: I actually think.
Speaker 2: It's even better, Like I think I sound a little swaffed, like a little you know what I mean, like just swuffed.
Speaker 4: Well you sound clock here, Oh wow wow now we okay, okay, But much like what you said, like what you said was extremely unpredictable, and I just I wish the show were unpredictable.
Speaker 2: Everything about Aiden in the show can be predicted. I could write now how he's going to be written off, what's going to happen between him and Carry, what the core tensions are going to be. I can figure out, like based on what Miranda is doing at the HRC, I can predict what's going to happen there. I feel like Charlotte getting a job back in gallery. Stuff that's extremely that we could have predicted that Slash probably did predict that. Like all of these things are things that we we know enough about the characters to actually really lay out the plotline. Same thing with Jada is like we knew how they were gonna go.
Speaker 3: You predicted the animal rescue shelter.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Well that I could never have predicted.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing, is like this is your unpredictable Yeah, at least this week, it only existed in service of Carrie's plot line, Like there were no solo scenes of cha except for that one where they were wandering around Carrie's apartment, which I did kind of enjoy that because and I almost wanted more of it of Chae being.
Speaker 1: Like who the fuck is this woman? Yeah that I'm weird randomly friends with why at her apartment.
Speaker 2: And like Carriere correcting people's like for their pronoun usage, and I'm like, oh my god, Like again, it's like a good ally for dummies, like a ward.
Speaker 1: But like I don't I don't understand why that you have such a problem with that though, because like it's good that she corrected.
Speaker 2: It is good. It's just why is this in the scene. So, like, if it's in the scene, if the writers have put the intent to put this in the scene, that means they are trying to say something about pronoun courtesy and how to address people properly in a workplace. And that doesn't matter. And this show, why would anybody care? As a Sex and the City viewer, it has nothing to do with the Sex and the City.
Speaker 3: Scene about pronouns, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think I think that line actually like mostly existed for the joke of Aiden lying into the neighbor and saying they them, which I think actually was a funny payoff for that moment.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it was that funny. But if it was just for that joke, like, that's fine. I I I'm rounding up to a point here about just predictability, And for me, it's like predictability and also the kind of tea the pedantic nature that I'm talking about, Like like in the original Sex and the City, the show can be very teaserly, right, Like, the show can be very like these things are good and these these things are bad, and this is what the show believes like the show had core tenants that it kind of ran by and believed in. And I think that it's okay for a show to believe in something or to be a kind of how to blah blah blah for dummies. But in the previous iteration of the show, the things it was teaching about were sex, intimacy, misogyny, like how to make it in a certain kind of workplace as a woman, how to be messy while also like sticking the landing. Like those are things that I think made the show really exciting. And the unpredictable elements were the sex, right, I feel like we just don't have the unpredictable sexual rockecy grompy kind of elements of in just like that. Like when Sima was in bed with that guy and he pulled out a penis pump, I was like, this is the show, Like I never could have predicted that this guy would have pulled out a penis pump, right.
Speaker 1: Even though that's a plotline from like nineteen ninety YXT.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it's fine, but it's but it still could not have been predicted. And that is the show to me, That's what the show I should be doing.
Speaker 1: I get what you mean. And I do think the moment where this episode succeeded the most and where it felt the most like the show I wanted it to be, was also the moment that I could have predicted the least, which was Carrie asking Miranda that question was big, a big mistake? Like that was something I didn't see coming and like, should essentially be like the central question of this season, Carrie is entire relationship with Aiden and should fan outwards to impact the other character, you know, like of It is really exciting to have a storyline in which this woman whose husband died like gets back together with an old love and then thinks like, oh, was my whole life a mistake? Should I just have been with this guy all along? Like that is a worthwhile question for this show to ponder, and I do wish it was more interested in that and less interested in, you know, Miranda trying to be a good ally or whatever the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't care about big so I care less about that question, but I agree it would be way more interesting than whatever it is they are spending time on. I just think that it's too it's still too self helpy, like the self helpy quality to the large majority of the plotlines in every episode really bums me out. I do still feel like it's very predictable. And Carrie reconciling her relationship with Aiden now, the rekindling with Now looks like in the context of Big is still trodden territory.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: It's like in the first scene when she's laying in bed with Aiden and she like propped up, she like puts her feet on his chest, which is so hot. I like wanted to be like I just wanted to be like I wanted to Yes, I wanted to be like Aaron, put your whole put her whole Fern, Aaron, whatever the fuck his name is, Aiden, Aiden, put her whole foot in your mouth, in your mouth. I was like, if he if he like put his head down, put his entire mouth over her foot, but you feet listen.
Speaker 1: Sucked.
Speaker 2: Sucked, sucked. And then the rest of the episode is Carrie being like, I can't believe Big suck my toes. That is an episode of TV. I would be on the edge of my seat f I.
Speaker 1: But that's just not the show that I don't care. I don't care. And also, you know, you know, her feet are gnarly from wearing all those heels as yeah, honey, I her toes are jacked if you want to hear all of our thoughts. But men just like that go to patroon dot com, slash like a virgin and become a patron