Speaker 1: Two teas in a pod which Teddy Mellencamp and Cameridge Edge.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, welcome to another episode of the twat Seat. A very special guest today who never likes to do anything publicly. It is my very own little sister, Justice Mellencamp, who I like to call bird Face in the Hole. The reason she's been bf ITH since we were little is because you guys may take notice here. How granted I get to say this because she's the cuter, tinier all of the ones, but like, look how her entire face would fit into that. It's like a little bird poking its head out of the hole and it's trying to eat. That's her.
Speaker 3: Thanks, what do you call me? Oh? I don't know nicknames for you?
Speaker 2: So many nicknicknames. But Justice and I are four years apart. We are full siblings.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: You know. The last couple of days have been no wig days. But of course I had to put a wig on today because one of our favorite songs to sing. You may have heard of it. It's from Mary Kate Nashley Olsen. I am the cute one.
Speaker 3: She's just my sister.
Speaker 2: And we go back and forth on this and I knew if it was a bald day for me, then I wouldn't be able to take either parts, which had been difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think so. No, I think you can totally rock the shaved head.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Bird. Bird's being very very nice to me because we've been going through all the stuff. She's been helping taking care of my kids. She's been here to help me because some days I am you know, I'm pretty good until about two o'clock. Wouldn't we say that's when I have the switch off.
Speaker 3: Well, it's tiring. It's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: It's tiring.
Speaker 3: It is you've got way too much going on.
Speaker 2: But she is my best friend. I love her to death. But we You may notice that our voices sound very similar. I know.
Speaker 3: Remember when we would call Dad, like before caller ID existed and cell phones and all the things, and be like which.
Speaker 2: Kid is this? We just go, hey, hey, Dad.
Speaker 3: Which kid is this?
Speaker 2: Which one? Which one is this? He had no idea, and we most most of the time wouldn't tell him, and then he immediately would start talking shit about whatever one he thought we weren't. Yeah, but most of the time he got well, let's start with don't tell your sister like it's a good thing. He doesn't know what daughter this is because we're about to get a lot of information, and that's his favorite thing to do is to call one of us at We should try to call him.
Speaker 3: Is he on the plane? Y, he's flying already. Yeah, his last text went green, so I know he's a zero service.
Speaker 2: Well, if it was green for any other than being on a jet, it would really be disturbing, Like, green texts really upset me.
Speaker 3: Well, then I get all nervous that I'm like, what happened? What happened to the person? Why is it green?
Speaker 2: If it's because you don't have any friends that are green? No, I have no Android friends.
Speaker 3: Well only our brother spec.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know that's upsetting too. Hud had it for a while. But then Hud is the one that taught me about the the privacy screen. Privacy screen. Hud got himself off fancy and got himself an iPhone in a privacy screen, and now he thinks he's big time and he was on a television show.
Speaker 3: I know. Well, Hud made fun of me because I also have a privacy screen. But then I text, I'd voice text and let my Siri type everything out, and he was like, you've got to be kidding me. You think you're private, but I can hear everything you just said on your text.
Speaker 2: No, this is my favorite thing about Justice. So recently it was really hard for me to see text messages. So I told anybody, anybody who wants to talk to me, voice note me. So the first voice note I get from Justice, I can already imagine her like this. She's like, Hi, Teddy, Comma, it's your sister Justice. Period just wanted to tell you I love you. Exclamation point. I'm like, are you.
Speaker 3: This isn't that's because I normally have Serie type stuff out. The auto notes were very new to me until this.
Speaker 2: But now that I've told everybody this, now no one can stop. Everybody wants to send audio notes so to the best, and if you don't do it, ruin your friend's lives by adding it, because you know what, nothing anybody wants to hear more than one minute and fifty five seconds of an auto No. It's for them to have to take no listen, especially if you work with them.
Speaker 3: It's not fun. Half the time, I just click it so I can just see it. Typed out.
Speaker 2: I don't even listen, but I have typos that way, it doesn't understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's okay, I can get it.
Speaker 2: No you can't. Sometimes I see it and it doesn't even know my name between and not even knowing my name and face app not even working anymore when I don't have a wig on and giving me the option of adding a beard or hood that you hud, what are you doing? So we use some listener questions. What were you like as kids growing up together?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I was obsessed with you. I wanted to do everything with you, but you were way too cool to hang out. And yeah, I don't know. I think.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. She likes to say that I was like maybe not the nicest to her, but she would do crazy ass shit like I would my room. I had a room that was looked like a horse stall.
Speaker 3: Do we have to tell this story?
Speaker 2: Yes, we do, because it's my favorite. This is like the this is the type of psychosis. So when she when she lives in her mind of I was always the bad.
Speaker 3: Way, can we preface it with that? You would have friends over and you'd be like, you can sit in my room, but you cannot talk and you have to sit in the floor over there, and I would do it. I was so desperate just to like be a part of whatever you were doing. I would do it.
Speaker 2: So that was well. Anyway, then I got overdoing that, so I just because then she started telling people what I was doing in this room. But anyways, my room was a stall door, so it was like had planks, and so I tell Justice, I'm like, bird, I think maybe I had my boyfriend over at the time. His name was Jamie, do you remember, yes, So I had Jamie over and so the rule was like I could keep the bottom thing locked, but I have to leave one of the parts undone. But I'm like, don't come in because you know he's here and we're probably gonna want to make out or whatever it may be. I give her enough warning, but what do I get. She starts banging on the door. She's this big, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, this I may be five years old by the way right now, or six, like she.
Speaker 2: Her feet aren't even touching the ground in the podcast room because she's she says she's five foot but she's one million percent four eleven? Am I lying?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We could get a tape. Measure out, figure it out when we're done.
Speaker 2: You could be the judge of this. When you see us stand next to each other. Cruise is as tall as a bird face right now. But anyways, I'm just trying to mind my own business, make out with Jamie, and I see these little beady eyes poking through and I'm like, Justice, no, And so then I locked the top. I locked the entire door, and I use this as my excuse on why everything could be locked. Justice gets my fault, totally my fault. Justice goes and gets a what is it called a crowbar? A crow bar and starts breaking it down my door like she thinks she's gonna be able.
Speaker 3: To Well, there was a lot leading into it. A lot of not nice words were being spoken through the cracks of the door from you to me. You like triggered me. I went nuts.
Speaker 2: She went nuts. So she broke through the door. Me and Jamie have yes, you do so then me and Jamie have to jump off my little falcony go running, and she keeps running after me.
Speaker 3: This is this is exaggerated.
Speaker 2: Never's not exaggerate. This is the fact.
Speaker 3: I never got through the door.
Speaker 2: You well, you got through figuring out a way. You crawled over the outside where the stairs were and got into the somehow she got to move on.
Speaker 3: Let's move on from the story. We don't need to go any further.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what other things would you like to talk about us growing up? If you're going to talk about me leaving you as an unaccompanied minor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I can do that. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when we'd have to travel every other weekend to Indiana, our parents got divorced when we were I was four. I don't know how old I was. I was eight, obviously four years older. So at some point they thought they'd trust us to fly with a flight attendant, get a greeter, I guess you'd call them, and because my mom would have to do the trip with us, and that got old for her. So finally we got to the age where they're like, you guys could just go on your own. It's fine, we'll get a.
Speaker 2: Great it seems right.
Speaker 3: No, I think we're a little older at this point, but it was every other weekend. We were so over it.
Speaker 2: We didn't want to go because at this point, I mean.
Speaker 3: Well, we didn't want to go because we like had friends and things going on on the weekends, and.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Dad would come to hilton Head so we'd get really excited so we could.
Speaker 3: Just hang at our own house. Well, we would always do hilton Head to Charlotte, Charlotte to Indianapolis, and Teddy would be less than nice on the travel days and I would have to just like hold it together, no crying in public, until the one time she left me in the bathroom at the Charlotte airport and walked to the gate, and the flight attendant who was like supposed to be greeting us, was talked out of greeting us because at this point, Teddy, you were probably like fourteen, like you were, well, like you were old enough to know better to do this to your ten year old sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I probably didn't, she'd probably piss me off.
Speaker 3: Well, luckily it was the same gate every single time, flying back and forth, so I knew exactly where to go. But after that, the flight attendants were back on full schedule. We had one every single weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I may have left her, But if you have a kid that's looking to play a fun game, this is our favorite game. Okay, put your handshair.
Speaker 3: Well we'd have to share the arm rest.
Speaker 2: We'd have to share the armrest, but it'd be We played a game and it's called Don't Touch Me.
Speaker 3: Well, Teddy played the game. I just was living my life.
Speaker 2: So what you do is you share an arm rest and that if one person touches you, then you get to punch them. So she would never touch her, but I would get dangerously close and then touch her and then and then she'd cry. So you know what this is. This is a tip to most. If you live in a different state than your significant other, your spouse, you may want to think about living in the same state because traveling.
Speaker 3: Together, or just make sure you always have a greeter, don't don't send your k A lot have already been there.
Speaker 2: We were in our Oh that's true. We're in our own seats now playing Don't Touch Me.
Speaker 3: We weren't playing, you were playing. It's all just because I wanted to be your best friend.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're my best friend now and we're about to get so we'll get back into the questions that you guys asked. But since we were younger, we always wanted this little knife tattoo and justice. How mad were you when I went and got it by myself.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that was kind of messed up. We've been talking about it for three years, or you've been talking about it for three years?
Speaker 2: Can you sing the song as I've pad it? So?
Speaker 3: No, I want you to sing it. It makes more sense. But for like three or four family get togethers, Teddy has tried desperately to get a tattoo artist to come, and no one will come to the house. Like these people are like, no, you're insane, Like we're.
Speaker 2: Because also, you guys said it had to be.
Speaker 3: A thin Oh I wanted a single needle tattoo, correct, but yeah, we haven't been successful. And then what is what does she do? She goes and gets it just by.
Speaker 2: Her and so it's I think, I like this little knife, and it's really so like I've already done it to Justice and she hasn't even realized it. But like it's when somebody's pissing me off, I just tap it, tap it, like this is your little before we play don't touch me cut off. But we're gonna go get one after this pod today. But Justice says she doesn't want to get it in that spot. Where else are you going to be able to tap it that people are going to see if you try to get this on your leg or something, you're gonna not like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was kind of just thinking, like here this little knife right here.
Speaker 2: Just a little knife. How would you describe your relationship back then compared to now?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, obviously, now we're adults, we have so much more in common. I mean, the four year age difference when you're a child is huge, right, Like you were able to drive and do all these things, and you know, I was like still playing with barbies. So I feel like now we you know, we're both moms, we're both working. We have a lot more in common and a lot more that we can talk about as far as like getting advice from each other. Right Like when we were kids, that wasn't really.
Speaker 2: And I mean we can say this as much as we weren't close, Like I still slept Injustice's room every night, yeah, I mean, and like we had this one rule.
Speaker 3: She faked not to like me.
Speaker 2: I just didn't like her in front of other people. But we had this one rule. We were allowed to watch TV going to bed, which guys, don't judge. This was the eighties.
Speaker 3: Well it was the nineties.
Speaker 2: But yeah, remember old school TVs where you'd see the little things line up. Yeah, it would go to like the end of the volume.
Speaker 3: The word volume was on the screen and then there was little dashes underneath, like how loud it can be.
Speaker 2: So our rule was at night time it could not be above the e. And we lived downstairs and my mom lived upstairs, and so I would go and stay in Jay's room. She had two beds, you know, I had a horse room. She had a room that had all of gymnastics equipment, so there was like a trail plane and what are those things you walked off balance, a balance beam. It was all these different colors. But either way, we'd like go to bed at whatever nine o'clock, and then we'd hear our mom go, it's above me.
Speaker 3: She always knew, like how she know? I have no idea because it was sometimes above the even sometimes it wasn't, and she'd still yell and we're like what in the world.
Speaker 2: But we watched this, and also our VHS machine was broken, so we watched the same movie for years.
Speaker 3: Well that was later when the TV when it got stuck. Yes, that we watched the same movie for probably three years in a row again, still sleeping in my bed. Well that was when we were teenagers. Yeah, You've Got Mail. Actually, I mean, but we typically would watch it through the credits in the first scene and then both be sound asleep. But we knew every word.
Speaker 2: But we'd also have to wait until it got to the very end so it would rewind itself, so we could watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you woke up in the middle of the night and turn the TV off, you were screwed.
Speaker 2: You could watch it, and then you were just stuck because then you just had to live on repeat. You've Got Mail still to this day. If we don't watch it this afternoon, I'm going to be upset about it. Yeah, okay. Were we ever jealous of each other or our brothers?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We like to all claim that we're the favorite, but I mean it's clear I am.
Speaker 3: Well now, I mean, you had to go and do all this crazy shit keep favorite. But it was me for a really long time.
Speaker 2: Well you know what, It's always been me. But we'll we'll let you have it. Sometimes we think it's one of our brothers and then we get all revved up. But if we say one thing about our brothers, we get a lashing sea.
Speaker 3: We're not allowed to talk about them, but we.
Speaker 2: Are allowed to talk about each other, which may mean we are not the favorites.
Speaker 3: No, I mean we're clearly the favorites. Just you're in the lead right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well it's because I got some things going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well just wait till you beat it.
Speaker 2: How do you think we're different different as moms.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll let you start because I would love to hear your opinion on this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a little bit different because my I'm very like type A and particular so's Jay. But she's one of the worst kind where she pretends she's not but she is. But like my kids are pretty like on it, you know, where justice is more of like a free loving like sure you want to do cookies, we'll do it right here, last minute. And so she's like so kind and so but like chaos could be accruing and she doesn't even realize it. Like think about like Thanksgiving dinner with Woods.
Speaker 3: Listen, Woods, Woods is chaos. That's different. I think also because I had trend when I was twenty, and I think I just kind of let more things go. I was so uptight. I'm trying to keep him this like perfect child and reprimanding him for everything. Well, there's no such thing as perfect, and every kid's different, and I think with each kid you kind of have to parent differently. And Woods is kind of a nightmare. He's the cutest nightmare I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, mile's a ponytail guys, He's three man bun man fun.
Speaker 3: He calls everybody's hair a man bun. Two, why are you wearing your men bun? I'm like, well, because I've wanted it up today. Okay, he is. So he's the cutest thing.
Speaker 2: But he like, after three days of him, You're like, you deserve a special metal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've done definitely something.
Speaker 2: But the next question is what's the best advice we've given each other. I would say we're different in certain ways, Like when I'm upset, I just shut down and kind of disappear, And when Justice is upset, she wants to do it the right way and like talk it through.
Speaker 3: Well, I definitely don't let anything not get talked about. Like if it's bothering me, I kind of just say it and get it off my chest. And if it's, you know, not the nicest thing. I try to word it better, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it.
Speaker 2: But what we have learned is if there's certain topics that we know we don't agree on, we're like, we're not going to talk about these things. Yeah, no, this is not good for us. This doesn't you know it does. We'd rather enjoy the fun that we do have, which we laugh a lot, we can get emotional a lot, but like, it's kind of better for us to know our topics that we stay away from.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the one time that I kind of like, was I guess a little mean to you. I was not feeling well. I had no idea you cried for like a year. She secretly went off and forgot.
Speaker 2: What was I mad at you about?
Speaker 3: Well, it is so crazy, but made you told the Crowbar story. I mean, so we were at Thanksgiving at our grandfather's who at the time was like ninety two. I'm so sick. It's like COVID already happened. You'd think that they'd be like, no, justice, don't come, like you need to stay home you're sick. Nope, Dad forced us to go. I'm literally coughing on everybody.
Speaker 2: There's so many two mellencamps there, there's definitely not enough food for all of us to eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I shouldn't have gone. I was really sick. Anyway, we were there and Teddy could tell I wasn't feeling well, and she's trying to be helpful. But Teddy also likes to kind of, you know, take charge, even if you don't ask her to, which is fine. Yeah, sometimes we need it. But I am like sitting on the couch, so ready to go, but I'm not going to ruin anyone's good time. And she goes and tells one of our brothers, like, let Justice take your car and try home. Well, driving home was like an hour and a half. I did not want to do that.
Speaker 2: But she also has a husband there that could have driven her. Yeah, but there was a good There was a good rationale because the brothers were already saying, no, we're gonna stay later and we're gonna do whatever. And I said, well, then give one of the cars to Justice so her and Michael and the kids can drive home. She's clearly very ill.
Speaker 3: So she's saying all this and I'm like, no, no, Like the kids are having fun with their cousins they never see, like, we'll stay and she's like, Justice, just take the car and go, and I was like, can you please stop bossing me around? And she clammed up, and I thought, okay, well, conversation's over, and we all stayed till the very end. And little did I know, like two years later, she admits that she went off to the bathroom and cried and I'm like, it was.
Speaker 2: So mean because I was trying to be helpful. I've gotten it all organized in front of everyone. She's like, could I try to control everything? And I was like, but then, don't worry. I didn't speak for the rest of Christmas. So I made a Christmas miracle was that I was silent.
Speaker 3: What was Thanksgiving? But I was so sick. I didn't even notice you weren't speaking. And it took two years for you to finally tell me.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I didn't tell you. Dad told you.
Speaker 3: No, you did because we were on the phone.
Speaker 2: No, I told Dad, and Dad goes, you either tell her, I'm gonna tell.
Speaker 3: Her, well that I don't know about all that, but you told me first, and then I told Dad and he was like, what you made her cry. I'm like, yeah, I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: It was like, that's why I didn't stay up late that last night we were there. I was pissed.
Speaker 3: Well, you should have just said something like I do when I'm pissed, and then you just get over it.
Speaker 2: I was just going to hold a grudge until you realized how you wronged me. Okay, this next one is Teddy's diagnosis. Oh gosh, this should be good for us. What went through your head when I mean, I don't even know who told you? It says when Teddy told you about her diagnosis, I was not in a position to be telling anybody.
Speaker 3: You didn't tell me so well, I mean obviously for two years prior you had the surgeries and you're you know, we're battling it for a while.
Speaker 2: But this is when the melanoma was on my back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it was just on your back, So I mean that was obviously scary, and you know, we tried our best to never think it would go to where it did and kind of just pushed it to the back, you know, like, just Okay, she's going every three months, like she's taking care of herself. This is great. We had a couple of trips in between that we had so much fun together. You felt good. I was like, Okay, she's beat this, this is done. But I mean when I found out that it had metastasized, I was well leaving Nightmare Babies swim lesson and he had finally turned a corner and listened to his swim and instructors.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yes, this is why he.
Speaker 3: Did well for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yes, I knew you needed a little bit of happiness well before.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we're walking out and Dad calls, and typically if you don't answer Dad's call, he keeps calling.
Speaker 2: And then he writes call me.
Speaker 3: So that happened like three times because I'm trying to get the kids in the car and the call me right now. I called. I'm like Dad, I'm sorry, I'm trying to like get the kids in the car. What's up? And he's like drop everything, and I'm like, oh god, he's so dramatic with everything. Well, he had a reason this time, obviously, and he told me so. Of course, what I normally do is try to do best case scenario. I'm like, no, no, there's no way, like it's got to be this. It's she you know, maybe she fell and just maybe it's a concussion. She's had a lot of concussions when she was writing when she was younger, like, maybe this is what it is. And unfortunately it was none of that. And yeah, I mean it was tough. We all got on a plane the next day while you were in surgery. Unfortunately my flight got canceled because flying to Hilton Head is always questionable. So I came a day after that and just kind of came to be by your side. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were all there. Unfortunately I don't remember any of them being there. I'm glad you don't. But I can say this is going to sound so morbid, but like some of the most fun and hilarious conversations we've all been, including my friends, my family, everybody that we've been able to have post this diagnosis and my surgeries, has been some of the behavior in the ospital.
Speaker 3: Teddy was just being her true authentic self that she doesn't let anyone normally see because there's just all out there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what medication was it that made me stay well?
Speaker 3: You were on steroids, well.
Speaker 2: Steroids, but there was another one that they give you that's a pain killer. There's zero memory.
Speaker 3: Well, thank god it nice little.
Speaker 2: Things that would happen, would be when Justice told me she was leaving.
Speaker 3: Well, no, no, I so right after your surgery, you know you were sleeping when when we were in the rich in.
Speaker 2: My mind, I didn't sleep any of the sixteen days I was up twenty four.
Speaker 3: Oh you were sleeping, which you know, you were so peaceful. And we were talking about how beautiful you looked, and she did, I mean you did. You looked beautiful. I mean your skin color was perfect, everything, And I'm like, how does she look this great? After brain surgery, shaved head, Like I look like literally been dragged through the mud. They're traveling nineteen hours to get here with all my delays and canceled flights. But anyway, I'm like, she looks amazing, and so I'm talking about her. Whoever else was in the room, it's.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tamra, Jen Jen Marcella, like all my best friends out here.
Speaker 3: So we're all raving about how great she looks, and she like opens her eyes and I'm like, hi, Hi, Like it's the first time she's seen me. I'm like, how are you? I love you so much? Can you see me? And she goes unfortunately, and I'm like, well, there she is, and like you could tell everybody in the room was like, yeah, there she is.
Speaker 2: Pretty much went downhill from there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know. It added some comic relief in a really really shitty situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I as much as things are really hard, like seeing my family come to that hell every day really meant a lot to me. Yeah, but it's we had some highs and lows, Like there's definite moments that I'm so grateful that, like some of my friends caught on video and we get to watch like we still talk about it. The next question is did it make you feel differently about your own health hearing about the stuff with me? Well, for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean everyone just kind of goes through life living and doing their own thing, and you end up putting a lot on the back burner, your health being one of them. But certainly after your diagnosis with the melanoma on your back, I started going every year for my checks and have had two biopsies. Thank god they've been clear. But I never in a million years would have thought that was something I needed to start doing or even think about. But I mean we were beach baby.
Speaker 2: Cat scan, so I just put scan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, it just it brings a lot, You've brought a lot awareness also, so many people, including you know, my husband for instance, We were just talking about it before I flew out here, like that melanoma is not just skin cancer that it can spread. It you need to be on top of on top of it.
Speaker 2: It's very surprising to me that I never had gotten a pet scan after having sixteen.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 2: It's insane, and I had a lot of anger towards that. But how do you think that this has changed our relationship.
Speaker 3: I think you have let yourself be a little more like vulnerable about things, you know. You know, you've always tried to be the strong sister who, like we said earlier, like if I was mad, you knew I was mad, you know. Like it's I think you have let yourself kind of express a little bit more with me at least.
Speaker 2: And I think it's you know, I'm not if you're not in my face, then I'm not the world's best communicator. Like I've really worked harder on it with like my kids and my family, and like when I say family, I mean the people that live in this home, but the people that aren't as geographically close, Yeah, I keep everybody at a little bit of a distance because I don't want to trouble them.
Speaker 3: Well, it's you're not troubling people.
Speaker 2: I know, But now it's kind of I've realized, like I don't care. I'm like, if I'm having a hard moment, yeah, I'm gonna call my sister and cry to her, because you know what, Like even yesterday I told her something and I wasn't expecting like the sister reaction. I was expecting like just like, oh, that's all right, and her face she was like I'm gonna have that conversation with this person, you know, like she was pissed, like.
Speaker 3: To stick up for you. Yeah, I mean I've always been that way, but you maybe not have shared your feelings about something happening with me to the point where I would be like, well let me try to handle this situation.
Speaker 2: Well, now we get to change this sad topic and go to an even more depressing topic, which is Teddy on Housewives. What did you honestly think when you found out I was going to be.
Speaker 3: Well, first you called and asked for everyone's advice. That we knew you weren't going to listen to I mean that was a dead giveaway, like she's calling for this advice that she's already made up her mind. Well, I have to say, I've watched Beverly Hills like forever. It was kind of my mindless fun turn it on. I don't know these women like this is something I can watch and it's entertaining and I like it. And then you went on it and I was like, that girl's a bitch. I hate her, Like I was fully investing.
Speaker 2: You thought I was a bitch from the beginning.
Speaker 3: Not you. I'm talking about when someone would be mean to you like these women as no, Nope, not gonna do that. But like watching the show prior to you being on it, I didn't care if they were mean to each other. That's what made the show. And then you go on it and ruin it because now I'm like fully invested.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a question. Yesterday you met both Tamra and Erica. Yes, did you feel like they were different than when you saw them on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I met Tamara in the hospital. I think Tamra's very well, no, I don't know. I think they're both very nice. I thought that. I, well, let's be honest, you and Erica did not get along your first season, right, and I kind of disliked y'all's relationship then, But she was so lovely yesterday, so nice. You guys have such a great relationship now. But also like, because of you being on the show, I learned it is a show no one wants to see. You guys all like getting along and like having tea together, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: I hated having to. I hated it, But yeah, I mean and Tam was pretty effortless, like she doesn't care. Like we all sat on the floor of this carpet eating pizza, eating pizzas. I can still see the two grease stains, which I'm trying to get over.
Speaker 3: But you did drop a little bit of your pizza. That was you too.
Speaker 2: I know it dripped because I squeezed it in half. That pizza was huge, it was delicious, It was good. What was your favorite part of me being.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously in Provence when you were like, just I'm sorry, very very overserved at the winery and it was hilarious.
Speaker 2: When Kyle's not letting me eat your chips, eat my chip, and.
Speaker 3: Then you wouldn't go to bed. You would not go to bed. I mean I was like howling, dying, laughing, and I kind of knew it was coming because I don't know if you remember you called me that morning. Oh yeah, I called everyone because I was like so anxious. I may have ruined our lives. I don't know what I said you. I was driving to work because of the time difference. I was like, you know, starting my day, and maybe it wasn't morning for you, maybe it was night. I don't even know, but you were panicked. You're like, I really hope I didn't do anything to embarrass the family. I'm like, well, I hope you did, because I've been waiting for this since you started the show, and but no, I think I really loved like seeing the family on there and your kids, and you know, I I think it was good that you obviously went on this show. But by the time you were, you were leaving. I think all leaving, you're exiting whatever you want to call them of your exit, that you were invited to exit when you weren't invited back. I think we all as a family knew it was time we had seen you go through some tough stuff. You know personally that wasn't actually being shown and and I just thought it was it was good like you you were on the show. You you did your your best when you pregnant, which was I know, not fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, now they want to know about your private life, my private life. I love that she checks the notes to see if I'm making it up for people who don't know. Why did you choose not to be in the public eye like me and Hudson?
Speaker 3: Because I'm very private in a sense where like I'll be open and share my opinion and if you know, you get to know me, you know all about me. But I have had the same group of girlfriends literally since I was a child. I married a guy that I've known since I was four.
Speaker 2: I've been boyfriend girlfriend since kindergarten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I just I keep my circle very tight and very close. Like any big group situations, I'm like, nah, I'm good. I think I'm going to pass on that. It's just I when you wanted me to do that one interview, zoom interview and then I bailed last minute. Oh yeah, there was a show that they wanted the sisters or something. Yeah, there was like a sister show they wanted us to do, and I really wanted I always call her Slight by the way, so if you see me pausing, and because I don't know why, they remind me of each other. But I called Burn and I'm like, would you want to do it? And she's like, yep, sure, yeah, I'll do it. And then well no, I said no, I don't want to be on the show, but I will do this for you.
Speaker 2: And then the day of she's like, I'm canceling and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, bitch, yeah, well, I mean I had some stuff going at home, but I felt like I was gonna throw up the whole day. I was like, there is no way.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you were going to throw up before doing this pod? Or you knew I'm just such an effortlessener.
Speaker 3: Well it helped.
Speaker 2: Watch.
Speaker 3: It helps watching and you guys do it yesterday and seeing kind of like how it would go down. But when you initially asked me, Michael could see my face when you asked, and he's like what, and she was like, she wants me to do the pod. He's like, well, did you say no? And I was like, I can't say no. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I see you give Michael a little shout out my husband. Yeah, yeah, But also, can we talk about what the things are that Michael's obsessed with really quick, just so they can get a shout out?
Speaker 3: No, we cannot.
Speaker 2: Hold on? What are they called? Please tell me what cryptocur? Crypto?
Speaker 3: We can't because it's actually not allowed to be spoken in my house. Like I'm like, we are not talking about hold on, but what is.
Speaker 2: The little thing? What? He has his own name?
Speaker 3: Oh no, he got rid of it. Oh no, don't even he.
Speaker 2: Had his own Instagram, guys, So if you're into cryptocurrencies, he got.
Speaker 3: Rid of it.
Speaker 2: Hold on, but what was the name?
Speaker 3: I don't even know. I never thought. I don't know. I never followed it.
Speaker 2: I cannot, guys, find Michael Moore. Oh no, he can't find cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Guys, it's gone. Don't even waste your time. Even if you were like entertaining the idea of trying to find it, you will.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what it is. But some days we would sit there and I'd be like an hour and a half in and finally I was like, I got to give up on this, buddy.
Speaker 3: No, I I gave up on it pretty early. But yeah, so he knew by my face that I was like, oh God, like, okay, go talk about myself.
Speaker 2: Well do you feel so a lot of people and Erica even said something yesterday about how we had a different life growing up because of our dad, and nobody ever believed me when I'm like, we really realize it. We really didn't. Really, I didn't realize it until I moved to La. Well.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not that we didn't realize it. I think our mom did a really good job on just making sure we had the upbringing we would have if we didn't have a famous dad, you know, like she gave us a great you know life at the beach and did all the things that she could do as a single mom. And I mean we definitely had some really cool experiences, me more than you. I feel like, because you were riding all the time. I didn't have a sport that I was like, so listen, I just got beaten horse with Cruise yesterday. I am not an athlete, but when she's talking about horse the basketball, yeah, I mean I was. I was done for like it was awful, but you were gone a lot where I was kind of like you're you're with dad this week, You're going to go ahead and travel with him. So, I mean we definitely got some really cool experiences. Yeah, I went on tour with Dad for a whole summer. Like there was things that were very different than your quote traditional upbringing. But I think mom for the most part, because we were in hilton Head and Dad lived in Indiana, Like there was no like glamorous stuff like people would assume.
Speaker 2: I would say the most truly is like when somebody's grandparents would come to one of our like games or something, and they'd be like, oh, is that Johnny Couger.
Speaker 3: No, I mean yeah, I mean there was just hilton Head was like a very.
Speaker 2: Very girls girls were into the old the older girls were into Dad.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but I think people like respected the privacy of it all too, Like they weren't going to.
Speaker 2: People because like we graduated from a class of how many.
Speaker 3: Well I had thirty two in my class. In years it is probably even smaller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like there we weren't filled around tons of new people, like it was always the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and also there was no social media. There was no you know, in my Dad's so private that it wasn't like he was like broadcasting that we were his kids anywhere. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's not like now where everything's in the press. I mean, sorry, dad, Oh, do you feel like you have ownership over your dad's song Justice and Independence?
Speaker 3: I mean I should, but no I don't. But I the story behind that is the whole time they thought I was a boy and they had a name which was Hud, which is our brother. But they had no idea that I was a girl until I was born, and so no girl name. And I guess they're sitting in the hospital and they were getting ready to go home, and they're like, you gotta name this kid, Like you can't just take it home. You have to name your child. And so dad and mom decided because he had written that song that year, which is an awful song.
Speaker 2: Guys like it is, no, that's gonna be everywhere now it is not. Okay, So you just screwed yourself. Thank you so much for stepping into my world. And People magazine you better be clocking that one as well, right next to my Mazu league.
Speaker 3: He would admit the best thing that came out of that song was my name. Let's say that.
Speaker 2: Well, also showing more that Justice is the favorite. The Big Daddy cover was supposed to be Justice, but she was throwing such a major fit that that's why I am on the cover holding my dad in like a dirty white T shirt.
Speaker 3: You were not Pictureretti. I, on the other hand, was not having it that day.
Speaker 2: Ummmm, Okay, if there's one thing you and Teddy could do together, sort of like a bucket list, what is it? Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would say, we've never this is the first time since we've had kids where we've had any kind of like alone time. I'd love to go on a trip with Justice. Yeah, without our seven thousand kids and husbands, and yeah, that would be fun brothers and dad. And because we're always having to take care of everybody, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it would be fun to take a trip just you and I somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh, what's it like having to live in Teddy's shadow? Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't know I was in your shadow, but.
Speaker 2: Well I'm in dad's. Well you're smaller.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm in everyone's shadow. When you're five feet you're four eleven, whatever, I'm always in the shadow. I didn't know I was, though.
Speaker 2: But I didn't. I don't think so either, because we watched You've Got Mails so much. How did we feel when Dad started dating may Ryan? I mean obviously we were at sick. We're like, what how we had never been when I walked in.
Speaker 3: Well, she was the nicest I mean right off the bat, you know.
Speaker 2: She not nicest. Ever, there's a new night, there's a new nicy, so we don't want to share the old.
Speaker 3: Well, I just meant compared to some other people Dad dated.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was one that was.
Speaker 3: Her pretty relieved that he you know, but I think I told her right away. I was like, just so you know Teddy and I know every line, so you've got mail. And she was so embarrassed that I said that.
Speaker 2: It's like I was like, no, play it cool, don't be all uncool. And then I was like, we do you want to see us.
Speaker 1: The whole thing.
Speaker 2: You've got Mayo?
Speaker 3: I mean it was it was a great movie.
Speaker 2: Let's just you know what sometimes what's the little shop in the corner, shop around the corner shop, around the corner. It was one of the greats. No, we love her, and no they they you know, things happened, but things happened. But We were ecstatic and we still are, like, she's such a good person in all of our lives. So yeah, we we appreciate Meg always, and yeah a lot. I love that you had to call out the other chick. Do you think people are going to figure out who the other chick is?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She was a famous one and she licked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was tough.
Speaker 2: That was tough.
Speaker 3: When she showed me away to order room service once, I was like, we are and I was pregnant, so my hormones were not in a good stitch. I was like, yeah, no more.
Speaker 2: When she got her when we were at Craigs for dinner and we were about to walk out and like we were still going through the back, but she opened up her those called cosmetic mirror, her cosmetic mirror to touch up her lips. I was like, I am actually done. Yeah it was a lot, but you know what, I guess a lot of people do the touch ups. But totally She's not Dad's type.
Speaker 3: And we knew it.
Speaker 2: We knew it. I was like, Dad is wearing overalls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're name ones from yesterday.
Speaker 2: But thank you guys for tuning in to another episode of too cheese and a pod. She is private, so it's gonna be hard to find much on Justice, but you could follow her at Justice Smelling and if she likes your jewelry or whatever it is that you're slanging, she may follow you back. If not, we'll let you know in a couple of years when she comes back on the pod, or I'll just video the crap out of her at Christmas or whatever holiday. She's already trying to plan out Fourth of July. I'm like, Jay, I'm trying to get through this week. Calm your tits. But anyways, thanks for tuning in. Thank you. Her Instagram name is Justice Smellingcamp. She left the bird out, which I thought was rude. Love you, Love you,