Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Jameel Hill and welcome to politics and I heard podcast and unbothered production.
Speaker 1: Time to get spolitical. Amid all the NBA.
Speaker 2: Free agency news, it was easy for the gambling scandal involving Malie Beasley to get swallowed up in the news cycle. So let me tell you why you need to be paying attention to this. The Pistons guard was a great addition this season for my Pistons. I mean, he finished second in the sixth Man of the Year voting and his three hundred and nineteen threes were the most enfranchised history and second in the league overall. But now Beasley is under investigation in a federal gambling probe, which is centered around suspicious gambling activity from the twenty twenty three to twenty four season when Beasley was with the Milwaukee Bucks. Now, according to an ESPN report, at least one prominent US sportsbook detected unusually heavy betting on Beasley statistics beginning around January twenty twenty four. More specifically, in the ESPN report, a gambling industry source pointed to a game between the Bucks and the Trailblazers on January thirty, first twenty twenty four, when the odds on Beasley recording fewer than two and a half rebounds moved significantly at sports books before the game due to a surge of action on the under. However, in that game, Beasley finished with six rebounds and the bets that raised an eyebrow lost. But the story has a lot more complicated layers than this. Multiple reports have surfaced showing that Beasley is facing significant financial issues. There's a track record that shows Beasley borrowing money upfront and not making good on it later. Court records obtained by the Detroit News showed that Beasley owes a lot of people money. He was sued by a sports management group for failing to repay a six hundred and fifty thousand dollars advance against future marketing revenue from.
Speaker 1: His name, image, and likeness.
Speaker 2: Beasley also was in deep with companies that specialized in loaning money to professional athletes. A company won a five point eight million dollar judgment against him when he played for Minnesota, and last year, Beasley signed a deal with the Florida company that supplies bridge loans for pro athletes, with Beasley using his current and future NBA.
Speaker 1: Contracts as collateral.
Speaker 2: Beasley is also being sued for back rent for a luxury high rise apartment he rented in Detroit.
Speaker 1: He had to pay a.
Speaker 2: Twenty six thousand dollars judgment to a celebrity barber. A barber I mean where they dipping the clippers in gold? Was his even blessed by the Pope? I mean for twenty six g's it should have come with a guarantee that Beasley was going to drop forty after every new haircut. He also owed another thirty five grand to his dentist, who started garnishing his check earlier this year. Them dan Veneers better have been warned by Jesus.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're wondering.
Speaker 2: How a player who has earned sixty million in his nine year NBA career can be out here moving like Russell Red from JKI promoters as Matt bars what's explained, you'd be surprised how many players end up in financial distress.
Speaker 3: So my deals were three hundred, four hundred and five hundred thousands, and to be honest with you, at the end of every summer, I was broke. Because financial literacy is something that's talked about often now, but you think late nineties early two thousands, wasn't talked about. We talked about houses, cars, jewelry, women, everything, but how to save what we're all working for. So I came from food stamps and drugs, So I didn't really have any kind of representation that showed me, you know, Okay, we'll put this away and save this and do this and that's this.
Speaker 1: Well, Beasley hasn't been charged with anything.
Speaker 2: Beasley situation should be especially concerning because this is what sports leagues fear. A player experiencing financial issues who possibly sees gambling as a quick side hustle or becomes a target for those who want to use his circumstances to get inside information, or in the worst case scenario, be pressured to throw games. But in some ways, sports leagues have only themselves to blame. When the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of nineteen ninety two, which was the federal statute that it restricted legal betting to primarily Nevada for twenty six years, a dangerous Pandora's box was opened. There are thirty eight states plus Washington, DC where some form of sports betting is legal. That includes thirty states where you can gamble online. In twenty twenty four, the sports betting industry posted a record thirteen point seven billion in revenue, a two billion dollar increase from twenty twenty three. Since the Supreme Court decision, the amount of money wagered on sports has jumped from five billion to a staggering one hundred and twenty one billion, with ninety four percent of the wages placed online. Complicating matters even more is how every major sports league has gotten into bed with sports gambling.
Speaker 1: Websites such as FanDuel.
Speaker 2: ESPN, who for a long time shunned any association with gambling, created ESPN Bet. Now ESPN person at leads promote the app non stop, do gambling segments on their shows, and regularly discussed their own wages. The widespread acceptance of gambling has made it far less taboo, especially among professional athletes. While sports certainly had high profile gambling scandals prior to the twenty eighteen Supreme Court ruling, the nineteen ninety Chicago White Sox and pee rose come to minds. Since gambling has gone mainstream, we have seen a steady stream of athletes getting busted from gambling on their own sport. Last year, the NBA banned the Toronto Raptors John Tate Porter from the league after an investigation found that he disclosed financial information to betters, limited his participation in at least one game while in Toronto, and bet on NBA games while playing in the G League. In March, the NCAA began investigating two Fresno State basketball players for participating in daily fantasy contests based on their own performances. One player, Jalen Weaver, to ESPN he was dismissed from the team because he bet fifty dollars he would score more than eleven points against New Mexico last December.
Speaker 1: We were scored thirteen. Will Alisi Tothio.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame had to suspend its swimming team for a year because the players set up their own sports book where they could bet on themselves or on their teammates performance at meats. They also bet among themselves on the Super Bowl and March Madness. And if you think this sounds relatively harmless, realize that NCAA athletes aren't allowed to gamble on any sports. The scary part is, despite what happened at Notre Dame, Fresno State and a number of other schools. The NCAA is currently considering a proposal that would allow college players to bet on professional sports now be fully transparent. I have and do bet on sports, not often, as I live in a state where sports gambling isn't allowed, and even if it were, I seriously doubt that it would be something that I would regularly do. I'm also not a professional athlete with a lot to gain for insider information or betting on oneself. But there's a lot of denial going on with sports gambling. Sports leagues are serving two masters, capitalism and greed. If gambling is powerful enough to ensnare professional athletes who make millions of dollars, the lore for civilians is even more powerful. More people bet on sports than invest in stocks, and based on what the statistics tell us, sports gambling is poised to be the tobacco of this generation.
Speaker 1: Bet on it. I'm Jameel Hill, and I approved this message.
Speaker 2: The idea of sports being inclusive shouldn't be a controversial message. But when my guest today announced that his football camp was also open to LGBTQ plus youth, it created a firestorm. But he stood on what he said, and those that criticized him didn't understand why a heterosexual NFL defensive tackle who plays for the New Orleans Saints would make sure that the queer community knew they.
Speaker 1: Were welcome at his camp.
Speaker 2: On this episode, we'll unpack that in so much more coming up next on Spolitics Colin Saunders.
Speaker 1: All right, Colin on to thank you for joining me.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start this episode as I start every episode, by asking each guest that appears on Spolotics to name an athlete or a moment that made you love sports.
Speaker 4: Oh that is that is a question, okay, because wow, I mean football. I'm thinking of basketball, football, everything, all right, So I'll say I'll go in my earliest memory because I was like only four or five, but I do vaguely remember the RAM Super Bowl, and I don't really remember watching it all of that, but I remember specifically I was at my Auntie's house and all the men in the house was just.
Speaker 5: Like running into each other and high five and you know, estatic from the wind. So that was kind of I was like, what is causing all of this?
Speaker 4: Like that's how early on I enjoyed it, because then you know, going into middle school and you know, when I actually got to start playing the sport.
Speaker 5: Just I think that I can.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll revert this to being my favorite player Mike Vick because that that that was, that was the first time I was I locked into a schedule. I was like, when do they play and what times I need to watch this dude?
Speaker 1: When he was at Virginia Tech.
Speaker 5: No, I'm talking later, yeah, later on, later on, yeah, right right, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know what I was watching Tech, but no, when he was in the league, that's when I was like, you know, I've always loved watching and playing sports, but that was that was the first person to make me be like really, like, okay, I need to I have to watch this dude play football.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's been so much conversation about whether or not football is a healthy sport, like whether that's something that we should be encouraging young people to play. And certainly, I know you you're no stranger to the conversations around head injuries and all that. But nevertheless, what do you feel like, particularly as a young person, what do you feel like football gave you?
Speaker 4: Football is almost a person like when you take all the values and you know, all the lessons that you learn throughout the years of playing football, Like I've always sit back and think to myself, like why I've been playing football for about twenty years now, and football saw me almost as much as my parents as like you know, and I think that's why my parents got me into football, is to teach me those lessons. But you know, as far as just accountability, I mean scheduling, scheduling being the most important one because you know, I'm lucky to play professional football where my schedule is pretty much all football.
Speaker 5: But back when it's your.
Speaker 4: Student athlete, that's one of the you know, that's I feel like every student athlete can tell you, like that's what put me above, you know, my classmates because I have to wake up at four thirty.
Speaker 5: In the morning and still go do everything that they have to do.
Speaker 4: So that, you know, football just taught me so much about just life in general and how to navigate through it and the connections you'll make and you know how to maintain those connections. So it's yeah, football is almost when you personified as an actual person.
Speaker 5: It's like a character within itself.
Speaker 2: Of course, with you playing for the Saints, I would be remiss if I didn't ask you about Derek Carr, who made the decision a very surprising decision to retire. When you heard that Derek Carr was retiring, what were your kind of initial thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually crazy. My nephew texted me that he was like, your unk your quarterback return. I'm like, for real, Oh, but yeah, you know I was. I was obviously shocked. I knew he had the I think shoulder challenges. Uh, but you know, everybody has challenges and usually getting worked on in the off season, and so you know, at first, I was just kind of like, oh, I was shocked as far as the timing of it and what caused it. But you know, after that, I was kind of like, wow, you know, that's here's guy who loves football man is ultimate teammate, Like Derek is one of the best teammates I've ever had, you know, regardless of any of the ups and downs of any of the teams struggles and stuff like that, he's the same guy. You know, had to go through a lot of people, you know, talking about him crazy and stuff like that, and he's still greeting them and met him with love and you know, a great Christian guy and I respect him thoroughly for what he chose, because it's not hard. I mean, it's hard to walk away from the game. And like he said in an interview recently, like he could have took the money and you know, said forget him, but he didn't do that.
Speaker 5: And that's just type of person Derek is.
Speaker 2: And genuinely, yeah, because I think the way that his contract was structured is that he could have had the shoulder surgery, could have collected the thirty million now he was due to him this season and maybe not play this entire season, and just took that thirty mel What does this say about who he is that he chose to basically leave thirty million dollars on the table.
Speaker 4: I mean, man like Derek is one of the most wholesome humans I've ever met. You know, he is the most selfless person like he he you know, as a quarterback, you are the lead of the show quote unquote, and he made it, you know, his point to make sure that everybody knew that he wasn't the leader of the show. And I feel like what he did just now, you know, leaving that money on the table is the perfect personification of what I'm saying, Like he is all about the team. And if that doesn't show that he's all about the team, then I don't know what else does. I mean, he's great guy. You know, he he's showing up the same every day to work and you know, with a smile on his face, stuff like that.
Speaker 5: And you know, I'm happy that I got to meet him.
Speaker 4: I played him a lot of years and when he was in the Raiders and I was in Kansas City, and we've had a lot of battles, but that was the first thing we talked about when we got to the Saints together. It was like, you know, let's try and go out here and win some games. And and he's a he's a great guy, and you know, I'm happy before him. I'm happy for his retirement, and you know, I hope that he gets to relax and just enjoy all the work he's put in because he's a he's a legend in this league and you know, rightfully so, so hope he enjoys it now.
Speaker 2: As somebody who has Super Bowl super Bowls on their resume, this is probably a little bit bit of a different experience with you being with the New Orleans Saints, who seem to be going through a period of transition. Yeah, so, how as somebody who has been accustomed to winning and winning early in your career, how have you as a player handled some of the ups and downs that have come in New Orleans.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, well, I felt personally that that's why they brought me there, you know, because, like you said, there we're going through a kind of a shift a couple of different coaches in the last couple of years. And I think that they brought me there because they wanted me to cultivate the energy of togetherness and you know, just through not just because hey, here's a guy who's been to championships, nothing like that, but because of I feel like, you know, a lot of when you get when you talk to the teams that I've been on, the first thing they'll say is, man, he's a great teammate and a great locker room guy. So I feel like the Saints wanted to pull from that through this time of transitioning and trying, like you know, have it to where I can help be the glue guy, be you know, be keep the locker room in a good headspace. And that's that's kind of what I've been trying to do. No matter what, because at the end of the day, we have great players. We have really talented Like if I go through the depth chart and I name like our top two guys that he spot, You'll be like, wow, that is a good team. I mean, it's legends, it's Hall of famers on our team. And and so we just we're putting the pieces together. And I think that the Saints brought me in, uh, you know, to be a locker room guy and a glue guy through that and trying you know, I'm kind of transitioning to a new role because so he used to being a young guy, but now I'm yeah, right right, like saying stuff like all right, let being old to go through. I'm like, damn, I'm old enough, but I am. So I've embraced them, you know. I've been just trying to teach the young guys as much as I can, as much as I know, help them with their careers.
Speaker 2: You a moment ago were speaking about what you felt like football gave you as a young person, and now you're trying to do the same, and you have been doing the same. It's not like this is the first year you've done it. With your football camp. That is coming up in July, you made a very intentional decision to tell people that you wanted this camp to also be inclusive of LGBTQ youth as well, and because it seemed like people missed the part where you're like, I'm saying it's inclusive of media, not to the exclusion of who are not. It's just saying, hey, me making it known that you are also welcome to this camp. Why did you feel like you needed to intentionally plant that message.
Speaker 4: Well, I felt the need for that message. There was a strong need for it, especially in today's climate, you know, of of just what we.
Speaker 5: Consider being different in today's society. Uh I.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously, my brother Cameron, who is openly gay, has been gay my entire life. Uh you know that was kind of my driving factor behind intentionally putting that tag on there, because my brother has been to every event that I've ever been at, like whether that be Little League, whether that be the super Bowl in Arizona, you know, in all all games in between. And you know, I've always uh I love my brother to death. You know, I will always support him in anything that he does, and he supports me as well, and so you know, when it starts. I feel like in college was my first time experiencing, you know, him not being comfortable in the crowd of one of my games because we're actually about to play a openly gay player on the other team, and we're in in my hometown of my college, and and they were saying that they were going to do a display or a demonstration against LGBTQ right with my brother in the crowd though, you see. So then now it becomes okay, you know, I get defensive obviously, because I'm like, first of all, this ain't even their home field. They coming to my home field and disrespecting my brother in the crowd, you know what I mean. So then that's when it started. The ball started to roll. And then as the years went on, you know, my brother coming to my Kanasite Chiefs games and making him feel comfortable there, And that's when I started thinking about, like, you know that there should be no uh, you shouldn't have to do work beforehand to make somebody feel comfortable in a place, like you should just be able to come and be who you are and be comfortable where you are in your skin. So that's why I kind of put that tag on it to let people know that, you know, it is okay to be who you are and enjoy things that is not quote unquote for you. You know what I mean, Because my whole thing with this campus is just you know, promote a message of empathy and you know, accepting people for who they are and to treat people as you want to be treated. I feel like that's the number one rule in humanity that we're kind of forgetting as a society. I mean, my whole thing is, I don't care if I see you on the street, I don't care if I see you at some high end designer story anything like that. I just treat you how I will want you to treat me. And I feel like the quicker that society can grasp that message as a whole, the better will be as a society.
Speaker 2: How much when you having that empathy, it seemed to be developed a lot by watching your brother. Yeah, so, as you said, like he's been gay your whole life. So what did you witness in his process of you know, embracing and showing people who he really was.
Speaker 1: What did you learn from watching him? What did you see?
Speaker 5: I learned so much.
Speaker 4: You know, my brother has even even the things that he don't know that taught me lessons like he has. He's been There's been so many moments in my life where I am, like, you know, considered the quote unquote stereotypical male, heterosexual blah blah blah uh. And I watched his life from the outside lens, and I'm just like wow, Like I didn't have to go through none of that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like I didn't experience none of that. I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it feels to be that in this, you know what I mean. So for example, like if I really love dancing and like this, that's what he does, but I'm a straight male, you know what I mean. So I really love dancing and I want to go dance, but it's like everybody who dances is considered to be gay. Like I don't want to be known as you know, I don't want to be known I'm not gay, but I love dancing. I didn't have to experience that, but he experienced that, like he you know, I love to watch football because my brother plays in it.
Speaker 5: But you're gay. You can't do that. You don't You're not supposed to be doing that.
Speaker 4: And so like just from everyday life from him, and kind of that's why they call it being in a closet because it felt like he was living in a closet, like he couldn't, you know, be himself. And so I've learned just you know, so much about life and being a good person in general to anybody you meet because you don't know what their circumstances are. I mean this this is about lgbt Q plus and the you know, the core community because I made it to be about that because I have a connection to that with my brother. But in general and in the broaden sense, this is a message of accepting everybody for what they are, no matter sexual orientation, no matter sexual identity, no matter skin tone, color, race, or anything like that. I just feel like maybe it's because of the way I was raising. You know, I lived in a very predominantly black neighborhoods and cities, and I got the opportunity to go to predominantly like white and Jewish schools and stuff like that. So I've been around all walks of life my whole life, and I feel like being in those melting pots of formed me to be the person I am today that can relate to anybody. You know, I literally feel like there's not one person on this earth that you know, I would just look at them and be like, I don't think I'm gonna like you for what reason?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So that's just kind of, you know, that's my stance and how I've always lived my life, and I feel like it's a positive way.
Speaker 5: To live it.
Speaker 2: So now you had to know that when you made the intention publicly known that this is going to be welcome to, you know, this group of marginalized people, that it was going to create a reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what has the reaction been?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so obviously, you know, I always talk about social media and the powers and powers of it, but also the negatives of it. And so when you you understand that, you kind of just bypass it because there's always going to be a lot of positive and a lot of support, and then there's always gonna be a lot of negativity.
Speaker 5: And because that's what social media is.
Speaker 4: It's literally a platform for people to say they like something or don't like something. That's because that's what the picture is posted for, to say how I like this or oh why was she posted?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean? So I knew early.
Speaker 4: I knew from very early on that there was gonna be you know, the people who try and spend it the ways that they spent it, and you know, oh, he's forcing this on to the children and stuff like that, and then they are gonna be people who you know, know me personally. I've played I've been playing in the league for seven years, so I'm pretty sure there's at least probably one person on each team that I've played with, and I know that they got my back because that type of person I am. I've never had an enemy on any of my teams anything like that, and so you know, when this comes up in the news, it's like, oh, man, what's he doing and stuff like that. I know I can rely on that person in those other locker rooms to be like, oh, yes, my dog, big man. You know his brother is gay and he is, you know, trying to just create an environment of acceptance and positivity. So you know, when I realized that, I really didn't. And then on top of that, like I've said before, my father is Ken Saunders, and that man don't care about nothing, and I get that thoroughly from him. Like, at the end of the day, if all of this goes over anybody's head.
Speaker 5: Just at the end of the day, the messages I don't care, I don't care. I'm like, what do you what if this?
Speaker 4: If you don't enjoy or if you don't like me promoting being nice to other people, go be mean somewhere else, Like go ahead, It's this world is huge, bro, Like, you don't got to focus on anything I'm doing if you don't like it or support it, just like I don't if I don't like someone support it. I just I don't bring negative negativity to it. I just leave it alone.
Speaker 5: I leave it be.
Speaker 4: So that's my whole. You know, my goal is just to spare positivity. And if you don't want to spare positivity, then go ahead. No, do what you want to do.
Speaker 1: With your brother. When did you know or realize that he was gay?
Speaker 4: Since I realized my brother was gay, since I can start remembering, honestly, like from very early on, like when I was about five six. You know, I'm playing all the sports and he's not like he's simple as simple as that, Like you know, me and my brothers, I mean be and my cousins and all of us. We're playing basketball at the YMCA and he's like, you know, in the cheerroom or or doing dance and stuff like that. And that's not necessarily say like you got to be gay to do that type of stuff. But it's like, you know, from if from early on we're as kids, we're so impressionable that we're gonna do what everybody else does because we don't know what we're supposed to do, right, So you know, if you know that you want to be doing something different, or you feel like, all right, this is I have no interest in that, and this is what my interest is. We didn't necessarily say, Okay, Kevin is gay because he likes to dance and stuff like that. We just notice, Okay, he doesn't like to do what the stereotypical boy is doing, so we lay him to be continue to develop and be himself. And then well I'm saying that like I'm older than or something he did whatever I was indapers probably so I ain't like I know, but I do know, like when I start like having my memories for him and stuff, I've always just remembered him, you know, being who he was, you know who he is now and he's a professional and all that now. But I still see the same, you know what I'm saying, chubby cheek big brother that I've always known, and now, like I said, he's just professional with it. So we've known who he was, and we've known now, we've known that I was gonna be the sports Jacques playing all the sports, getting hurt and jumping off of bunk beers and stuff.
Speaker 5: And then we know him as the five six seven eight.
Speaker 4: That's all he do it Like he walked around the house saying five six seven eight and making choreography and you know, when a new song comes out, like he's the first one to make a dance to it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So stuff like.
Speaker 4: That we've always known, and it's just the orientation came second, you know what I mean. So you know, if he was straight doing all this stuff, it would be no different. It's just that's who he was, and he was who he was unapologetically, and you know he came out to the family. It's just like, okay, nice, now tomorrow is tomorrow still right whatever, let's keep going forward.
Speaker 2: So well, especially you know a little older than you and I remember during when I was growing up, is that very much so that kids that were considered to be different, as you said, especially if you're a boy and you were in the things that were considered to be classically feminine or things that you know, girls quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Tended to like that.
Speaker 2: You got made fun of and bullying, you know quite a bit, and the language around that and the community feeling around that was not very positive. So how were you all able to maybe protect your brother and that in that way or was that even his reality where maybe outside of your home, facing a different level of circumstances, maybe some bullying, that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, you said it perfectly.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what my family and I you know, try to do is protect him. You know, it's it's you know, as a mom, especially specifically my mom. You know, it's already hard enough to have a black boy in this world, you know, due to a number of circumstances, but then you add gay to that, and it's even more circumstances to that. So, you know, we my family household was built on love. And I know that's a very generic thing to say, but what the type of love that we were built on was very unconditional, Like it's very it's very much if we don't have anybody, We have to have each other because at the end of the day, anybody can choose to not be in our life. But yeah, I mean even family can choose to not me in your life. But this is the only person who I have like made with off top, like, no matter what, this is my brother, this is my mom, dad, this is my grandmother, you know what I mean. So we were a very tight knit family unit, and because of that, it led to us protecting Cameron, you know, from as much as we could, and to me, you know, me being a rough and tough boy, I always used to want to meet it with for us and fight for him and stuff like that. But then I learned, like, you know, you can't beat people with hatred on their heart, you know, so all I can do is meet them with love and hopefully change their outlook. And that's when I started to learn to get away from the physical and get into the more emotional and mental side of supporting allyship. And that's what's led me to today.
Speaker 2: What did your brother think about you making you know, sort of this intention known about how you wanted this camp to be inclusive.
Speaker 1: What did he think?
Speaker 5: He was happy? He was very happy. I mean, he cried.
Speaker 4: Obviously he's softy, but yeah, he's you know, very happy. He's proud, and I tell him all the time. One thing though, he was he was scared obviously because of like you said, the backlash, a get and all of that. And I told him, I said, Cameron, like, we were born for this because just as early as he just as early as I knew I had a crush on Kelly Rowland and beyond saying them, he knew he didn't you know what I'm saying. And so I was like, I told him that because I said, I have to remind him sometimes, like you know, it's this can get overwhelming because you know, I'm on the talk show with you and I'm doing Today's show and all this stuff now, But in reality, like this is what we I said, I was born into allyship because you've known who you were since then and I was gonna love you regardless.
Speaker 5: So you know, my it was destiny.
Speaker 4: It was it was just and the other part of destiny was that we just both quote unquote famous now you know what I mean, and that kind of you know, that's why it's making the headlines that it is, because if it was just you know, a guy that work at Whole Foods and and then his brother that you know whatever, work at a little office.
Speaker 5: Nobody would have cared.
Speaker 4: But it's it's the Saunders brothers, and so I feel like that's why, you know, it is on the level it is. But I mean, at the end of the day, this is what this is what I was born to do.
Speaker 5: Literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, negative reaction expected on the other side of it. How have people in the community, in the lgd LGBT plus community, how have they reacted to.
Speaker 4: This, People in the queer community. Uh, they have embraced me, you know, tenfold. I mean obviously even before this, just the love that I show for my brother, uh, because before it is, you know, he was already starting to get traction in. And then we didn't like the Gillette. We had a little Gillette like you know, sponsorship and demo type of thing, and uh, even with that, we started to see like how much support that people were getting this. And I started getting messages from random people I've never met, and they're just like, you know, what you're doing in the community is so powerful and impactful and stuff like that. And I didn't even look at it as anything that I was trying to make an impact with. It was just more so of a oh, yeah, this is like let me make sure they know that they're included. Not not necessarily like you said, an exclusive to you know, straight people or anything like that, but it was like, more so, let me know that they're included. And then it became all of this, and so, you know, I think that I've always just tried to have people feel welcome and included and it's turned into this. But you know that was wasn't my intention at first. It was just you know, show show support.
Speaker 2: Now, football, as you know, is one of the most masculine, you know, especially NFL locker rooms. Have I don't know, have you heard from your teammates or other people you play with, or even just generally people around the league about what you're doing and whatever they said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, obviously my teammates we talked about in the locker room, just you know, in passing and stuff. And you know, obviously everybody, like I said, the people that know me and the relationships that I form within a team, they know where my heart is because they know what the same way that I would do anything for them, I would do anything for you know, all my friends and all my brothers and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So I feel like the second people.
Speaker 4: Meet me, they understand where my heart is and they understand what I'm trying to accomplish with this more so in being a vestige of acceptance and empathy and love as opposed to you know, persuasion, you know what I mean. And so you know, I feel like within my own locker room, that conversation has started and to where it's UH is making some progress. And then across UH the league and and and across other areas, UH in sports as well. You know, we're starting to see UH more openly gay people be in different sports obviously, like track is one of the ones I've noticed a lot of openly gay people have been in and UH. And then it's also in basketball, not the NBA, but the w n B A Like that's they're very you know, opening that regard as well. And so it's not like it's something that's not going on, you know, it's just not in football. And I feel like what I've said before and I will stick by is is let the athlete be the athlete. Like if you have metrics that say, if you have metrics and stats that say, hey, I'm good at this, then you're good at it. Like there should be no no, you know, are you good at it? But you're gay, so you're not good at it? No, that makes no sense. Like I bring up Michael Sam all the time, because that's a person like like, this is a man who is the SEC Player of the Year, Like the SEC is the best conference in college football and arguably and he was the best defender in that conference, and yet somehow his NFL career just magically didn't pan out. You know, stuff like that it makes you question people's motives and and and agendas and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think that we're we're in a.
Speaker 4: Climate of a society right now where it needs to be talked about and and and it can only move forward. You know, it's hard to go backwards from where we're at right now, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean there's an openly game player in the NFL right now who plays for the Raiders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, caring this, he reached out, He reaches out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, me and me and him have been ever since this came out, Me and Carl Nassim and Trey McBride, who is his he has two mothers. We have all three of us have been in contact like thoroughly, and you know they're like Carls more so of man, thank you for you know, supporting all of that. And then Trey McBride is more so of you know, a message of he's just preaching the same message because he has his two mothers. So yeah, you know, I think that I've been getting again some support and uh, like I said, Carlo is the only one that is openly gay. But you know, I just hope that my message is, you know, to help anybody who feels like they're in the closet or you know, can't be themselves.
Speaker 5: It's just be yourself, you know.
Speaker 4: Be be who you want to be, and be who you are because it's too hard to be anybody else.
Speaker 5: Not.
Speaker 2: I know, NFL players are not naive. They do realize that they there's a very high percentage chance that they have played with someone who is gay and they just didn't know it right, right, So it's like, you know, so to some degree of just like you do realize that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to be right.
Speaker 4: It's like just look at the numbers, like you know, yeah, if you know, unless just one in fifty one and every fifty three men are gay, then you know, you played with.
Speaker 5: Somebody that's gay. So uh yeah, that's you know.
Speaker 4: I think that once people kind of just take a step back from what they what they feel about the topic and just really look at it as you know, because one another thing I would say is that everybody has something that they, I guess feel like a different about as far as you know, they have something that they are trying to quote unquote hide because it's not the norm of society, right, Like whether that be I smoke cigarettes, or whether that be I drink too much or something like that. Like, everybody has something that they're you know, not that happy about, but being gay is the only one that like everybody makes this big deal about, you know what I mean. So I think that once, you know, once we realize that, you know, know what they say, like, no sin is greater than the others. So everybody has things that they're not proud about or that's quote unquote different from the norm. But once we can accept everybody for who they are, that's when we truly will achieve a society of bliss, like a society of just people minding their business and living their life and enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Seeing where the NFL was when Michael Sam was drafted. Actually, you know what, I'll wait. I'll ask you this on the other side of the break, the real quick because I have a ton more to ask you, including about you have some very strong opinions about whether or not football players can play basketball.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wait to ask you about that. But before I get to that question, I want to ask you. We'll take a quick break and we'll be back with more with Colin Saunders. So what I was going to ask you before we took a break. You see, where the league was when Michael Sam was drafted. It was a huge story. You know, there was a lot of different conversations happening publicly privately across the league.
Speaker 1: But looking where the league is.
Speaker 2: Now, and you know, we were talking about Karl who plays I think the Raiders right with the Raiders, much different climate for him. So does it feel like the NFL as a league isn't a much better place of acceptance.
Speaker 1: Than they were before when it comes to openly gay players.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean just from even you know, seeing the fact that the NFL is in a rainbow, like they have the logo of the NFL with rainbow codes on it. That alone is and you know that's very simple, but that's very as progressive as well, you know, because like you know, that's like seeing a lot of logos and things mean very strongly for people, you know, And so seeing the NFL shield and like I said, with the real white and blue and all of that, and then it's now a rainbow and you know, in supportive of especially whether it be in June, in Pride months and stuff like that, you know that that speaks volumes for the people who feel represented because there are you know, coaches and stuff as well, like a lot of the women coaches in the league that are that are gay. You know, that helps them like they feel seen, and so, uh, you know, I think we're definitely making a little more progress just the simple fact that Carl has been in the league and able to get opportunities, especially on different teams. I feel like he's been on at least two teams, and so just that fact alone is showing that it's a little bit more progressive. And and then as far as just allyship uh you know, like I said this from the start.
Speaker 5: This is not a.
Speaker 4: Push to persuade anybody to do anything or to be a certain way. It's just a push to accept people how they are, you know what I mean. So I don't think that I think that you know, we're we're making progress and we're making strides towards accepting people for who they are.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, push is always an interesting word when it comes to talking about the queer community because and I've had this conversation at Nausen with other hetero sexuals who are who sometimes will express that same you're pushing it on and this and that, And I was like, existence and pushing are two different things, and they don't seem to be able to separate the two. Is that you know, they should be allowed to exist much in the same way we exist as hetero sexuals, right, Like they should be able to do these same things. And so really a lot of times is that some people would just prefer them not to exist. And that is a different, you know, sort of conversation. And I was so glad that earlier that you brought up the fact that you know, as a young boy, you knew your crushes. I mean, people do it all the time, little boys ask them like who you got a crush on?
Speaker 5: Or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, so this.
Speaker 2: Idea that children are not aware of sexuality is frankly not true. It is not and so I find that that sometimes can be, you know, a bit of a roadblock. You brought up how the NFL has embraced Pride Month, and I saw the ad that they had that the opening title card.
Speaker 1: Was the NFL is Gay, And as soon as I saw that, I.
Speaker 5: Was like that.
Speaker 2: Already you have, like former player Des Brian, some other players who have not felt very positively towards that message.
Speaker 1: What was your take on the campaign?
Speaker 4: Man? It's just like, I don't know how people can't dissociate like their feeling is about something just to see stuff for facts in black and white, you know, because.
Speaker 5: That obviously the message is not.
Speaker 4: Like what what makes you think that whoever made this video was saying everybody in the NFL is gay?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: And that's why it's like some of this stuff is just laughable because it's almost like explaining it to a child.
Speaker 5: I have four children now, and.
Speaker 4: These are the type of things that I would have to explain to them, like, no, baby, they're not saying that Daddy not gay is because it's like, you know, clearly they're saying that this there is that within the space. They're not saying that everybody within this space is that.
Speaker 5: So it's like it's.
Speaker 4: Almost like I said, it's almost laughable because people take what they want to take, and they take the messages how they want to because like you said, right when you seeing that and you knew how it was gonna because just like when I announced this camp, I immediately knew, Like I was talking about my marketing agent and I said, I already know that there's gonna be at least half of the app that says, oh wow, either A he is gay himself or B he's trying to make our children gay.
Speaker 5: I already knew that.
Speaker 4: But it's like, when you know what you really are trying to accomplish, you can see past all of that. And I feel like, you know, you know, and I does bright a great player and all of that in that regard, but you know, if you can't just look past that, you know, initial feeling of he's calling me gay or something like that, you know you can't you'll never understand what that what's truly trying to be accomplished, and is that you never know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I ain't gonna wish on.
Speaker 4: Dens or anybody, but like, if you have a son who eventually identifies as a gay person, how are you going to accept that?
Speaker 5: How are you going to treat that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Are you going to a run away from it and disown your kid and stuff like that, which that's very prevalent and especially in a black community, Or are you going to be a good person and parents or child?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, As.
Speaker 4: Simple as that sounds, it shouldn't take much more thought than this came for me, and I need to nurture it. But you know, some people need more convincing to be a parent, so which is unfortunate. But you know, hey, I feel like, you know, we're getting to that time where we just got to sit down as a society and really understand what messages are being construed and what we're taken from these messages, because people take what they want to take. Like you hear a message, we can hear the same message and interpreted two different ways. And I feel like there's there a lot of times are very clearly one way that a message should have been.
Speaker 2: Taken so there, and I think you understand this even more innately as a as a black man when it comes to allyship, we know who our allies are, and we know who they are, and we know what that looks like from what you've been able to learn as an ally, what would you say as people try to figure out ways that they can be a better ally, be it to the queer community, be it to the black community, whatever marginalized group, what would you say are some things that people who want to be allies should do in order to you know, prove like, hey, I'm in this for something real.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: The first, very first thing that I can say for a person to do is to treat people how you want to be treated.
Speaker 5: Right. So that's very generic.
Speaker 4: All of our grandmamas has told us that, but we really take a step back and look at the root of the phrase and like, just the real meaning of the phrase is that, you know, obviously and broken down in the simplest terms, you know, explaining to a child, you'll be like, Okay, if you know you don't want somebody to punch you in your eye, don't punch them in their eye, right, So that's how you break it down in terms of a child. But then you you know, get into the more into the intricacies of life and growing up as an adult, and then you see, okay, it's not just physical. Okay, maybe I don't you know, I've been having this whatever day type of day I've been having, and I don't want to go to somewhere I feel that I'm you know, going there to be comforting, like Starbucks or something.
Speaker 5: I'm like, Okay, this has.
Speaker 4: Been a bad day, but at least I get to give me a cheese danish and whatever. And then I go in there and here's somebody say, look at this faggot, Like you know what I'm saying, Like, I feel like it's common it's very common sense to not do that. But I feel like, also, you know, as much as racism and other forms of hate, there learned and pass through generations, so you know, we've learned that being gay is wrong from prior generations and that's been passed down. And then you'll get to a and to a guy who was born in two thousand and four and you be like, you know, why do you hey gay people?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: He really don't even know he's just because his dad didn't like it. I mean, his granddad didn't like it, and his great granddad didn't like it. So, you know, I feel like we're trying to break that way of thinking of just generational thinking, and you know, trying to make it a better society going forward in general for everybody.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Also, a component of allyship is risk. And I had a conversation with a former NFL punter, Chris Coleoi. He was a guest on the podcast, and when he played for the Vikings, he aligned himself with queer causes, you know, because I think I think gay marriage may have been a debater on the table, and so he showed up for that community and it was not received well by the organization, you know, not not necessarily about the cause, but mostly about the level of how polarizing the issue can be. And you know, it's the number one word that they hate in the NFL distraction. So were you ever concerned about or how much were you concerned that putting yourself out there in this way as an ally to this community that maybe from an organizational standpoint, it might be frowned upon, or maybe it could cost you opportunities.
Speaker 1: Like, how concern were you about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that's obviously a huge concern. But at the end of the day, you know, I'm not gonna be playing in the NFL for that long. I'm not gonna be not for that long, but I'm not going to be you know, this is a this is a short lived career. I'm blessed of make it to seven years. But you know, there's no guarantee that you play for forever. But I'm gonna be an ally to my brother for forever, you know what I mean. That's gonna be my brother forever. I'm not going to be an NFL player forever, but that's gonna be my brother forever. And you know, I think that there's a way of doing things as well. You know that that I try my best to not offend anybody with anything that I do, which is why I'm not like saying, hey, if you don't come to this camp, you're wrong and stuff like that, Like, no, it's not like that. Like I said, if you don't support when i'm the message that I'm purtruing, then I'm not. You know, I have no problem with that at all, you know, and you can go your separate way, and then I'll just try and like I said, cultivate environment of learning and empathy as opposed to you know, a negativity and just following what the next person does.
Speaker 5: And so you know, I think that you.
Speaker 4: Know, my my biggest go or my biggest attribute, and as far as not being distracted in the NFL is just genuineus, Like this is.
Speaker 5: Genuinely who I am.
Speaker 4: And my team knows that, my team has met my brother plenty of times. And just like you know, when when they want to ask questions about my allyship and stuff like that, like if you can ask questions about it, then it can't be a distraction for me because they're asking the same you know what I mean, Like I'm getting reporters asking questions about my brother and him dancing and being on tour and all that stuff like that. So if it's not a distraction, then it's not a distraction when I want to bring it up conveniently for myself as well.
Speaker 1: With your brother, So who knows more about which do you know more about Taylor Swift or does he know more about football?
Speaker 5: Yeah? He definitely.
Speaker 1: He's on tour with Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: I think it's over with. Yeah, it's over with now.
Speaker 4: But yeah he was, Yeah he was, but no, he definitely know more about football. Yeah, because I realized he's been playing. I've been playing football since I was eight, like he been on tour with her for two years. So I will I will say admittedly I did learn a lot more of her songs and I didn't. I knew more songs that I then I thought I knew too. But that being said, no, he definitely knows more about football. Like I've been doing this since I was seven, eight years old, he's been and he been almost every game.
Speaker 1: So did you go to a Taylor Swift show to see Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah I've been. I've been about three of them, so yeah, I've seen them.
Speaker 1: For sure, So I guess it was. It would have been interesting because you left the Chiefs in.
Speaker 5: Two years ago. Two years ago, so I'm going on my third year with the.
Speaker 2: Facts, right, So this preceded Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Now imagine if you would.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doesn't everybody.
Speaker 1: Say your brother to it?
Speaker 5: That would have been Yeah, that's everybody's been asked.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, we ain't have they Just that happened and then all these questions started a rising.
Speaker 5: I'm like, did we do something like what? But no, you know that was just it was.
Speaker 4: It's just a series of events that just just went like that. But you know it was crazy though when I got end up getting traded and then you know, all of that happened. But I love I love Trav. You know, that's my guy, one of my favorite teammates. So I'm happy that he's happy.
Speaker 1: Have you been able to meet Taylor Swift through your brother?
Speaker 4: Actually no, I've you know, I've been to a lot of her shows and stuff like that, but I you know, I come for Cam, you know what I mean, like and you know, Taylor Swift is the cool probably the coolest boss you can ever have. But you know, I come and I and I support and I'm just trying to, you know, give give that love, support that he's always given me and whenever he comes to my game.
Speaker 2: So all right, well, Colin, I I conclude every podcast by asking what I call a messy question, a question design to trick you into making a headline. So you had not too long ago, some very strong opinions about whether or not football players. And this was based off I guess to get the fullbacks. Jason Tatum had ridicule football players who tried to play basketball, right and saying that that's one of the funniest things he's ever seen. Is like when football players try to play basketball. You have taken exception to this, all right, So which sport has better athletes? Basketball or football?
Speaker 4: Football better athletes? That's like, like you don't even that's not even a question.
Speaker 5: Have you ever seen Tyreek Gill do anything?
Speaker 4: Yes, Like this man is like five foot one and can do an East Bay windmill? Like come on now, Like that's you just don't see that in other sports. So yeah, football got the best athletes for sure.
Speaker 2: Now, when it comes to playing basketball, if do you think you could assemble a team of a team of football players who could give some basketball players and run.
Speaker 1: The idea of.
Speaker 2: Say, let's say flag football, of putting together a team of basketball players that can get you all run in some flag.
Speaker 1: So say tackle because that's.
Speaker 4: The point, because that's the thing, right we played, This sport is tackle football, Like because when you're getting the flag, now you're talking about like the Olympic, Dude, that's saying he better than Tyreka that is he we don't know. What we play is tackle football, right, So do I think you can form a team of NBA players play?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, not like I will torch anybody in a one on one in the entire NBA in a pass words one on one, I promise you. But by the same token, yes, if we game up with a five and then win against you know, all these NBA players, but they win absolutely.
Speaker 5: But you think like you.
Speaker 2: Feel like your skill level as a basketball player is much closer to theirs than theirs their skill level as a football You do because.
Speaker 4: Because think about it, some guys the NBA hat Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 5: Like I'm not saying he bad or nothing, but like what is his job?
Speaker 4: It's rebounds and stuff like like exactly, Like, so you got you got guys who are specifically there for one reason. You tell me we can't find the best shooter in the NFL. Send him in the corner and have somebody that's tall enough to drive and kick it to him every.
Speaker 5: Time at the end the day is a shot that is fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: That's what I always live by. So if he gonna make that shot, he gonna make it. If he don't, he don't. Now with the NBA players, probably be able to shoot a little better, yes, but that's not act like we don't train footwork every every single day. Like it's easy to slide. It's easier to slide with people that you think like and then we big bodies.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just I take exceptions to that because I can hoop, I plat out, I can hoop.
Speaker 5: I've played with some of the professionals.
Speaker 4: I played with Obie Topping and PG and uh Kobe White and proactive, and you can ask them I can do this for real. Now, my endurance, that's where they win it. That's where they win because up and down court, I get it. Y'all might have a sorry, but you give me a team of like you know what I'm saying. I mean because DK ain't even that tall, but DK metcalf. It's like you got to measure the height and the strength, Like, yeah, he's only sixty four, but are you backing him down?
Speaker 5: No, you're not.
Speaker 4: You can shoot over him, but he's he can jump too, so he's gonna contest the shot. It's not like you're just playing against you know, somebody who don't know how to be athletic.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's what kills me about the whole thing, because you got guys who literally do one thing on the court and make a living off of it, and apparently you don't think that we can go. If I went and specialized in shooting one shot my entire career and that was all I did was sit in the corner, I can I would make that shot more times than I miss it. As opposed to of them, We've seen dramnd trying to play football like I'm not just making this up, bro, Like they you can't if not seven on seven different whereas the contact is limited and that's different. But if I'm putting my hands on any of them people in the NBA, I don't care. I will honestly confidently say I don't think one person in the NBA can stop me from getting to a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Now. Do I think I can score on somebody the NBA? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, There's something I would love a made for TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pros Versus Jones. I remember on Spike TV pros Verse Joe that.
Speaker 5: Was my favorite.
Speaker 4: I want to bring that back so bad because well that's outside of the NBA versus NFL.
Speaker 5: That was more so the Twitter trolls, and I would love I would love that as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, at yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that if you know, if Lebron James is protecting Patrick Mahomes, you're gonna get past.
Speaker 5: Them thousand percent one percent. I love like Bron and that's fine.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 5: That's fine, so so is Tyren Smith.
Speaker 4: But guess what, Tyler Smith six eight with three fifteen though, like you think Bron, come on, I love Bron, Bron my goat, but Ron gonna feel his long arm and stab club rip and that.
Speaker 5: Boy gonna be like, wow, I am not good at this. Just what it is.
Speaker 4: I'm in doing this b Like, I'm sorry you whoever y'all, biggest, baddest, you know what I'm saying, Big baby Davis, whoever they want to break, it's not gonna work.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 5: You ain't trained when I trained, like you can't.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen the video of Kevin Durant trying to pass rush on a like a not even in the NFL, oh tackle and get him up like that's that's what this will be like real, for real, And I'm very confident in that because until you feel that, like until you feel what it feels like to get picked on a game or a three hundred pounds man come hit all of this and you like this like till you feel that, you don't know how that like you and the felt little elbow and the ribs on the jump shot. But you ain't felt, Uh what's you ain't felt? What's doing on the Eagles? Jalen Carter? You know what I'm saying, coming full speed in the side of your head, like straight helmet right here.
Speaker 5: You ain't felt there before, and you can't that.
Speaker 4: It's a different kind of pain like we're going through real car crashes every play. Yeah, and that's why I said I'm not gonna argue the flag football because that's it's not the same No, no, see that's not That's not the same sport football. The contact makes a huge difference problem.
Speaker 1: What you heard her first?
Speaker 2: You call NBA players off, It's okay.
Speaker 5: Whatever they want to say.
Speaker 4: I just know if you tell me, if all right, out of ten possessions and I got to score a bucket and then ten possessions, I got to get a pass rush.
Speaker 1: You going ten for ten.
Speaker 4: I'm going ten for ten pass rush, and then I might go like three of ten. But the fact that I can go three of ten and you can't go zero of you will go zero of ten on me like trying to protect me from getting the pass that to let you know who's better, it was sport.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to ask a basketball player this question. This is gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, Colin, thank you so much for joining me for this episode of politics. Your camp is July fifth, fifth already, just real quick? Have you do you anticipate that there will be some LGBTQ plus youth that will be at the camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know, I know, I don't know about the specifics of who will be there as far as the youth, but I've been getting so much support and just outreach from you know, social media influencers and people that you know, maybe not the youth, but like I just did some work with It's a page on Instagram called Rainbow Dads and they they are two dads that are married, they have a son who is you know, the youth. So situations like that where the parents are actually in the community and they just wanted to have their kids come and learn.
Speaker 5: About the community a little more.
Speaker 4: That I've been getting a lot of that as well, So even all the way from that to people want to volunteer and just help the calls and you know, help it be a great day.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I've been getting I've been getting a lot of outreach.
Speaker 2: Okay, well July fifth and it's taking places and St. Louis all right, So make sure everybody make sure you check that out. If you want more information, make sure that you go to original element dot org. Good luck with everything, Good luck with this season. I really appreciate you joining me absolutely. One more segment to go coming up next, the Final Spin. All right, Tom out for the Final Spin. The headline, WNBA players vote Kaitlyn Clark ninth the mong guards in All Star voting. The spin, WNBA players are jealous of Kaitlyn Clark.
Speaker 1: The truth.
Speaker 2: I hated that dig Bytell, who I have a lot of respect for, used his social media platform to spread such a terrible narrative. I respect you, Dicky B, but you were missing some key context.
Speaker 1: Let me learn you.
Speaker 2: WNBA all Stars are determined based on three components.
Speaker 1: The fan vote, a media vote, and a player vote.
Speaker 2: The fan vote accounts for fifty percent, the media vote and the player vote account for the other fifty twenty five percent each. Kaitlyn Clark finished first in the fan voting by a significant margin because she got the most fan votes. She finished third in the media vote and ninth in the players. But here's the thing, the players didn't actually vote her ninth.
Speaker 1: They couldn't.
Speaker 2: The players can vote on four guards and six front court players. Caitlin Clark did not make it in the top four of enough player ballots. Therefore, it dropped her cumulative score to ninth, best among guards.
Speaker 1: So again, the players did not vote her ninth.
Speaker 2: But it's really not that controversial that a lot of players didn't have her in their top four. Here's why. Caitlyn Clark has missed half of the Indiana Fevers games due to injury. As of the recording of this podcast, she is averaging six turnovers a game, which is highest in the league. She is also shooting twenty nine percent from three and thirty nine percent overall, and while she is averaging eighteen and a half points per game by any objective measure, she has not had a great season and those are not All Star numbers, so based on that, isn't really that controversial that the players.
Speaker 1: Didn't rank her in the top four.
Speaker 2: Also, my suspicion is that the players knew she was a lot for the All Star Game anyway, and they may have purposely used their ballots to get other players who probably weren't going to get strong fans support.
Speaker 1: Or maybe even media support some recognition.
Speaker 2: Caitlyn is the most popular player in the WNBA, and the All Star Game is in Indianapolis. The odds of her not making the All Star team were less than zero. Caitlyn was named a captain for the All Star Game, so all this whining about the player vote is truly inconsequential. I'm just tired of this narrative that the players are all jealous of her, and I am convinced this narrative wouldn't be nearly as persistent if the WNBA wasn't seventy percent black. The racial pornography of positioning black women as villains of the darling white girl is just too irresistible for some people. Even though Sabrina i and Escu and Paige Beckers, both of whom are white, finished second and fourth among the players respectively. Hell, if anyone should have been pissed, it should be Kelsey Blum, who is averaging more points, shooting better from the field and from three point range than Kaitlyn Clark, and the composite voting dropped her to sixteenth among the players.
Speaker 1: There are not fifteen.
Speaker 2: Better point guards than Kelsey Plum, nor are there eight point guards better than Kaitlyn Clark. But don't blame the players, blame the composite numbers. This concludes another episode of Politics. Make sure you get at me on social media or email. I'm at Jamail Hill across all social media platforms Twitter, Instagram, fan based, Blue Sky, and threads. Please use the hashtags politics. You also have the option of emailing me as Politics twenty twenty four at gmail dot com. You can also video me a question, but please make sure it's thirty seconds or less. Don't forget to follow and subscribe to Politics on iHeart and followspolitics pod on Instagram and TikTok. Politics is spelled s po l I tics. A new episode is Politics drops every Thursday on iHeart podcast or wherever you get your podcasts. This is politics where sports and politics don't just mix.
Speaker 1: They Matter.
Speaker 2: Politics is the production of iHeart Podcasts and the Unbothered Network. I'm Your host Jamel Hill. Executive producer is Taylor Schakogin. Lucas Hyman is Head of Audio and executive producer. Original music FROs Politics provided by Kyle VISs from wiz FX