Speaker 1: Welcome to part two of our interview with David Lipper, also known as DJ's bad boy boyfriend Viper. There's still so many things for us to talk with David about, and we can't wait for you to hear it.
Speaker 2: Here's David.
Speaker 3: Everyone.
Speaker 4: We have a western coming out August twenty third with Heather Graham and Tom Hopper called Place of Bones, and we shot it here in La. Who thinks it rains in La? But it rained like crazy. If you remember a couple years ago around the.
Speaker 3: Seven Wait, yeah, this past year was nuts.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, hey, when you built the barn and the house, how much did you reinforce that roof? They're like, not at all, what roof. I was out there with the tarp and ropes and the rain and mud coming down the hill thinking I'm gonna lose my sets. People are like, what are you doing? You're a producer. I'm like, I am saving the sets, right, or you want to keep complaining and they're like, okay, we'll help you. And so that's a whole other level of like what we do you know, when we're on these lower budget films and chipping in and that was a massive budget compared to what we had, Jody, I mean, oh god, million dollars on this one.
Speaker 5: I mean it was you know, again, like it's the the the the luxuries you get on bigger productions are one like that's sort of you're like, oh, this is kind of nice.
Speaker 3: But there's there's something.
Speaker 5: About the like the weird theater kids just all banding together and and you know, everyone's like, I'll hold.
Speaker 3: You know, a four buy.
Speaker 5: I don't know, like just like everyone's you're just in it and doing it because you all weirdly love it and I and it's such a it's so much fun to work with people like that, and it's it's so much fun to work with you as a producer because you are You're like.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be out on the roof tarping things off.
Speaker 5: And you know, and it creates such a great But it creates such a great set because when you have people you know, and we have that on full and full, or when you have people that are just willing to jump in and like do whatever it takes and work together. Oh that's the joy of this business, you know, is when no one's standing in the way and going like I'm going to make this all about me.
Speaker 3: But when everyone's just like, yeah, let's just do it, make it work.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't that experience of a series when you really become a family, you know, because you're you're week in week out for years like that. You know, eight seasons. That's a long time, you know. Yeah, you're the most marriages.
Speaker 3: And longer than so far all of mine combined.
Speaker 5: Although I did to celebrate my two year anniversary yesterday, so I'm stacking them up, you know what I mean, the universary j.
Speaker 3: Four or fo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to any more of your weddings, Jody.
Speaker 5: I'm just telling you at this point, you throw me off a mountain, you know what I mean, Like, I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: To the way the next time you get married, you're buying me a gift.
Speaker 5: Next time I get married. I'm not doing this again. No, I will happily be a childless dog lady. I will happily be one of those. So yeah, except I'm not childless. I have two kids. But I will be a husbandless dog lady if that's what it takes. So don't worry, Andrew, You're not getting invited to anything else.
Speaker 4: I've never been married somehow and all this time.
Speaker 3: See my my husband never had either. He was fifty one, so you know.
Speaker 2: And we loved the scale too. I know he's not listening to this, but we do love him.
Speaker 3: God no, no, he's like, I hear you enough.
Speaker 5: But what when you you know, talking about like being such a family on a show and stuff. When you came into the full House family, what was it like for you? Do you remember like how it was sort of I mean because again it was eighth season, so we were quite tight knit by that point.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of feelings. There were a lot of feelings I was going through. First off, believe it or not, the first feeling was like and I was not an avid watcher. I didn't know just how big this show was. To be quite honest, I just was They were like, we're putting you on the show, and I'm like, okay, great, And coming off of the pilot that I thought was going to change my life, I was still in this feeling of disappointment of like I had it all, Like I had the starring role on a great show, like ridiculously funny writing, and now I'm the lowest guy in the totem pole in this joining this cast, and it's just it felt that part felt I guess ego wise that just.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, it's understandable. It's a huge disappointment. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: So there's that feeling mixed with this is a family. They're all super tight, and I, you know, where's my place? So like where what can I say? What shouldn't I say? Like you know, how vocal should I be? How quiet should it? So there's this whole feeling out period. But I will say this, two people in particular really welcomed me in and the right people who should have One was funny enough Bob, who always really like my person on the show, except for that first episode where him and I competed for the right I don't remembers guitar dual. So we did start off, you know, working in a in a big scene for me, my intro scene to the show. But also staymos. He spent a lot of time with me. He was super fun, super cool. He brought me out like we even him and Bob and I had gone out several times for drinks and things, and but John like would invite me into his room and like let's talk about this and then he would even do things like, you know what, I make enough royalties on the show. You write the song, and so one of the songs that I sang to DJ, I make more money on that music royalty than I do in the acting royalties on And that was just him going, you take it so like there is some.
Speaker 3: Really that's amazing they Uncle Jay.
Speaker 4: I think they both went out of their way to make me feel welcome. And then, of course, you know, Candice and I had a special relationship, just you know, in terms of the fact that we had a relationship on the show, you know, and then I'd say, you know, I really started to get to know everybody else more afterwards, where I started to get to know you know, now you Jody, you know, it was amazing to have gotten to know you more, so, you know, on our film together. And then Dave Coolier, of all things, we ended up playing hockey together.
Speaker 3: So you guys play hockey together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I ended up on like a celebrity charity game and it was really cool. He's a pretty good hockey player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great hockey yow.
Speaker 4: And me coming from Canada, him coming from Michigan, which is literally over the oh yeah, Canada, and so we you know connected. It was really fun to do his podcast too, and and and catch up, you know, and it's just it's just been an amazing so eventually, like everybody really was super welcoming. And I think that first episode, that first table read, I was like, what's my place here? If you're coming off that experience of mister lipper, what can we get right?
Speaker 3: Being number one on the call sheet?
Speaker 4: You know? And I've had like five shows if you can believe this, where I was number one on the call sheet that didn't make it.
Speaker 3: You know, I absolutely can believe it, because that is this business. So I mean, you know, it's not personal.
Speaker 4: I just read I did a sitcom called Misguided Angels, if you can believe this. We shot twenty six episodes in Canada for Fox Family, and Fox Family had sold to ABC became ABC Family right in that sale. Somehow they didn't take the show and a twenty six episode show never aired that was number one on the call sheet. I'm like, here we go, Oh god man, you know, and it aired foreign, like in Canada and the foreign countries. But the Fox Family, which was the parent net, which was the American Network, which again Steve Family, unfortunately just never aired in America. It's the craziest thing. So you're just like, you know, and I lost two years on that show because you're making it in the your your producer. You'll do another show, right, and then it's just like, you know. Then I'm back to pre reading for casting directors and they're like, what have you been up to? I'm like, well, I started a TV show that nobody.
Speaker 3: Else that you'll never see. Yeah, I might be lying about I don't you know.
Speaker 4: It looks like where have you been for two years? So I was working but nobody saw it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is. It's so, I mean it is.
Speaker 5: People don't really get how you can be really successful in this business and yet not be the household name that people think comes immediately with success.
Speaker 3: And then you're you know that you're.
Speaker 5: Still like, You're like, I've been in this forever, but you still got to go back to the beginning and start, you know, I think I've acted.
Speaker 4: In sixty movies at this point.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: And the crazy thing is I only get recognized for one thing full house.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: That's where people come and hey, did I see you on something like yeah, would you see me on the movie I did last week now Full House in nineteen ninety four?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did that bother you to a certain extent?
Speaker 3: Are you sure? Okay?
Speaker 2: You to be honest with us, because you know somebody don't.
Speaker 4: I am not one of those people at all. I am super grateful for and I want to be clear, I'm super grateful for the opportunity that Full House gave me. And it really was the beginning of everything, because it's it's really discouraging as an actor to shoot these pilots and these shows and nobody sees them, right, and Full House everybody saw. And I didn't even understand the scope of how big the show was until it happened, and then I knew. And what's crazy, what's really crazy is how big the show is today. Like, yeah, how many people tell me their kids watch the show? And like, did you mind sending a video or a clip or something from my kid? I'm like, really, your kid today? I'm like, there's not another kid show that they watch, a family show out there that they're watching a show from nineteen ninety four and behind yeah, I mean, yeah, five was our last season, right, So so you're going back into the late eighties, yeah, or an eighty nine, and it's just like, that's how big this show is, and that whatever the formula, whatever, this perfect confluence of cast and writing and idea coming together, it was just a very special show and still is today. And this staying power of this show I think is a testament to just how good it is, because there were so many good shows back in the nineties, great sitcoms that were huge, that don't have this continuity of what's going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's something I've always said that that that something about our cast.
Speaker 3: There was some.
Speaker 5: Little magical connection amongst us that we fell in love with each other as a family, and and people watched that and fell in love with with that family too, And that doesn't always happen because the people behind the characters aren't always a family and you and it, and I think I just always say that, I think part of what made people love this show was that those relationships were one.
Speaker 4: Somehow. I was there for both finales. I was there for the end of full House and the end of Fuller House.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The emotion, you know, the I you know, the crying and the hugging and all of that was extremely real, and you only get that when you're really truly a family's for a long time. Yeah, I'm just really grateful to be a part of both of those.
Speaker 5: It's been it's been so much fun to I mean, god to span careers, you know, with you, I mean, it's just it's so cool to watch. I mean, you've become such an incredibly successful producer with your with your company, which is Ladigo Films, and just you're killing it.
Speaker 4: Thanks. You know, we we we evolve, and you know, as the business changes, and I'm a little less young and a little less cute, let's just say, and I don't have the hair anymore.
Speaker 3: It's like what can I look?
Speaker 4: You look? You have an age today. So I mean, the two of you, it's like we could be back in nineteen ninety four. Yea. But you know, directing has been a lot of fun. Writings on a bunch of films I wrote that got released. So just the idea that I could do these other things, yeah, and not sit around waiting for the phone to ring, I think was my way of not going crazy. That's really what it was. It's just like I can't sit around. I'm just not that guy. I have to be proactive. I have to be doing something. So it's like, well, well I'm waiting for the phone ring. Let me try some other things and somehow producing maybe I found my best my best asset in that. And and just because I understand all the elements, you know, especially yeah, you know what the actors are going through, what the crew are going through.
Speaker 3: And it's true.
Speaker 5: It makes I always find it makes such a difference when you have, you know, people on the other side of the camera who have been in front of the camera too, because it's you know, they are weirdly sort of two different worlds, and and and a really great director is able to bridge that and kind of understand.
Speaker 3: So let's do another one, Jody, Let's let's do it. I'm in I'm next.
Speaker 1: Next you have to do a movie with an Olsen twin to keep with the you know, the progression of the Tanner sisters.
Speaker 2: And then you'll do one with me.
Speaker 3: That's going to take a.
Speaker 4: I thought. The last thing they said is we don't act.
Speaker 3: Well they don't. Yeah, they don't know, they don't know.
Speaker 4: But told me, said them, if they do the show, what did they say, we don't act, we don't act a billion dollar umpire.
Speaker 5: I mean it, you know, I didn't all have to be the little tap dancing people in the front.
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, Hey, some people make shoes.
Speaker 3: That's true. You know what some people make.
Speaker 5: They think they just released, like a seven hundred dollars flip flop.
Speaker 3: Wow from the row.
Speaker 4: Who's paying seven hundred dollars for a pair of flip.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, diamonds, a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I mean, you know, hey, good for them. I by mine at CBS. No, I don't, No, I'm not quite that bad. I got a Costco, but the the Costco, the little middle at the Costco flip flops.
Speaker 4: I get my sneakers at the Costco.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 2: David tell us about the Place of Bones.
Speaker 1: I watched the trailer of Place of Bones and I was terrified. I don't do horror. I don't do scary stuff. Jody will probably love it. But tell us more about this, and I love this movie.
Speaker 4: I'm in love, in love, in love with this movie. Heather Graham killed it. It's really it's nice to see a female driven story to begin with from a female director. As you know, Jody, we went through that with Just White and Elizabeth. I like seeing female directors direct female stars. I feel like it's just smart to do that. And Audrey Cummings as a Canadian female director, did an amazing job. And Tom Hopper, who doesn't Love the Umbrella Academy as the villain. And we did a huge search for the girl who played Heather Graham's daughter, and we found so funny you shoot a movie in La. The whole point of shooting a movie in LA. You don't have to fly anybody in, you don't have to house them, you don't have to pretty on them. It's your only savings because everywhere else there's huge tax credits. Right, so it's expensive to shoot here except for not flying people in and putting them up. Heather Graham we had to fly and put up from New York. Tom Hopper, we had to fly in from London. That's a very expensive first place. And then so we had to find the girl to play. Couldn't find a girl in La to play her daughter. No, find a girl in Montreal. I hear it to play a daughter. Kory Nemck, who I love, is an old friend of mine. We've done a few movies together. He played Calhoun. He lives in Florida. We fly him and put him up bam and then Cowboy Donald SERRONI I'm a I'm a big MMA fan. And he's one of the winningest that's the word fighters in MMA history. And and he's a real cowboy, like he actually rides the horses and shoots the guns and does all that. So to have an actual cowboy who calls himself cowboy in a Western is really really big. So we got him in and he lives in another place in Santa Fe, New Mexico, is so like literally the only person who lived here was me, you know. Our ur DP. Andre Sekula is one of the most famous dps. He did pulp fiction, Reservoir Dogs, American Psycho. He had to come in from Poland. I can't.
Speaker 5: Know there was there was There was never going to be a place you could shoot with all these people.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, true, maybe.
Speaker 4: From here, so you know, the sound guy came from Montana. I just like it just didn't stop. So anyway, that was where I was hanging the tarps on the We shot in Kistaic, which is right next to America.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Cannot here's the thing. You cannot duplicate a two hundred acre mountainous ranch like we have in California for the Wild West. Like, you're just not going to get that somewhere else. It's just going to be a different movie. So we had to shoot it here. We had to deal with the rain. But I'm in love with this movie, so I hope people watch it. That comes out August twenty third. I have three movies coming out in August. It's a weird thing. August sixteenth, Crescent City, which I produced on the ground with our company. It stars East Sigh Morales, Terrence Howard, and Alec Baldwin, who yea was just I guess they threw the case out of court, so thanks for him. That's a whole other podcast to get into about guns and safety. I don't use bullets in any my I don't use blanks.
Speaker 3: I don't A lot of productions don't now good.
Speaker 4: I just do it and post Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's now that that's not a lot of places.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's how we did this entire Western by the way, so when you watch this, not a single blank was fired. I was all done in visual effects, and then of course the movie I directed that I'm a little partial to murder. Hollow Creed comes out August sixth that stars Mickey Rourke and Jason Patrick. Jack Kessei, who's the new hell Boy has a huge role in this, Jessica Lord, who, funny enough, met Matt Rife on set, who's also in the film. Yeah, very successful comedian right now, who I just covered death Link and put him in five movies including ours, Jody yea in our film. So Matt is now like the biggest thing in stand up which's oh my god.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about what was Matt was.
Speaker 4: Matt was the one of the dates. He was the trainer date.
Speaker 3: That's right, Oh my god. See this.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh my god, right, yeah, that's that guy.
Speaker 4: That's right when you had the dating montage or yeah, the date yep. So he was one of the dates. And I discovered him on death Link and said, this guy is a star. Is everybody stupid? Like, I'm just going to keep putting him in my movies for scale until like someone realizes he's a star and he's like he's like, man, I got to work this comedy club for fifty dollars and I'm like, why are you wasting your time with the stand up. I'm telling you, you're a movie star. Come do movies for me. Keep doing movies. Forget the stand up. It's it's a lost cause. This is why I know nothing. Next thing, you know, he's got a video that goes viral and he's literally the biggest stand up comic on the planet. And I'm like, boy, did I mess that one up? But this guy is a star, super good looking and super charming and talented and nice. And anyway, so he met Jessica Loord on our set and I think they broke up now, so maybe it's not the as good as story as it was when they hadn't broke it up, had we had this podcast a little earlier, want to help my story. But anyway, they they met the first time I saw him go gaga over a girl like this, because women, even back before he was you know, the superstar women tend to flock to him quite frequently.
Speaker 5: And stand a comedians, attractive stand upcadians do.
Speaker 3: They definitely think that there's.
Speaker 5: A there's even the ugly comedians do well, you know, put somebody on a stage and it's shocking.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that that was really cool to watch, and and so we have a huge ensemble cast of very funny people. And the funny thing is it wasn't a comedy when I got the script. It was supposed to be an action thriller. And Mickey work showed up in the way Mickey looks these days, and for him to be a Serbian mobster. And I had Jason and Jeremy London as his henchman, who are buddies of mine that live in Sippy where I shot it. So I put them in and I just said, you know, then I got penelopean Miller, who's extremely funny. And then I called my friend Paul ben Victor, and I said, Paul, you got to come play penelopean Miller's wife is the neurotic Parrots. And I'm just going to improv this stuff. And we won three Best Comedies at three festivals. Oh my god, because I said, all I know is comedy right from our roots. And I'm just like, I'm going to find the comedy here because I can't take any of this.
Speaker 5: Seriously, all right, right, Like this is If I try and play this seriously, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I've got to lean into the comedy.
Speaker 4: Action thriller with you you know, all.
Speaker 5: These it's like it's part of the reason why I like Snatched or you know, a lot of the like Guy Richie movies on them were great. Lockstock one of my favorite movies were because it was weird individual people that were like in this action sort of thing, but they're all sort of strange and you don't really take them seriously, but you do because they're still are, you know, shooting people.
Speaker 3: So but that's the comedy of it is perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just nailed it. That is exactly the vibe. I went for Lockstock and two smoking barrels, some huge, huge Guy Richie fantasm, and it was just it's like, okay, we have some violence, we have the real setup. We have like some real bad criminals, but like you can't really take them all seriously, and they're all crazy trying to get these two guns. In our film, they're trying to get this necklace. Everyone's trying to get the same necklace and it totally messes up everybody's lives. And so that's that's what we did, and we just had a lot of fun with it. Made the movie for like, you know, one and a half million dollars, which is not very much money, as we know. And the shot in twelve days in Mississippi and it comes out comes out August sixth So I have a big month this month.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yes, you have a very big month.
Speaker 2: Congrat a birthday too, Like there's so much going on.
Speaker 4: In August thirteen. I have a birthday.
Speaker 3: August is your month, sir. Own it.
Speaker 5: Today's August first. You better just just work it.
Speaker 4: Back to my first week, second week in LA and that's step by step.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 5: See this is the year that you that it all changes on your birthday. See, I feel it, it's going to happen.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, it's circuitous.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm so proud.
Speaker 2: I am so proud.
Speaker 3: I am honored. There you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome.
Speaker 5: I appreciate well, David, thank you so much for joining us on the show today. It was it's been so great to talk to you and you have done so much and i'd, like I said, you're just such an interesting human being as far as like all of the different things that you just keep trying and succeeding at. I mean, you really are. That's it's it's really cool to watch.
Speaker 4: Well. Thanks Jdy and thank you Andrew. It's really nice to see both of you. And it was so nice to see you both as adults on Fuller House, you know, and seeing the show reimagined from a new perspective from the three women. It was really really cool. And yeah, I'm just glad to have been a part of it. And I'm really happy you guys invited me here.
Speaker 2: You're a part of the family now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're now letting you go.
Speaker 5: You're in once you're in the full Fuller family.
Speaker 3: It's that's we don't let you go.
Speaker 4: So I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're in.
Speaker 5: Well, David, thank you so much. Where can people find you on the internet and stuff? If they want to see all of these amazing films and movies and stuff that you're up to.
Speaker 4: Well you can find me on the Instagram at at David Lipper and on the Facebook the David Lipper and I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, and also at the Costco selling uh right, not on weekends, but is there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And and in the Fresh Meat.
Speaker 5: And Pulled, I say he's coming out with his own burger patties. After saying the horrendous shortage that there was, he's decided to fill in that hole?
Speaker 4: Closer has I stuck up? Now I've learned since the pandemic plates plastic cutlery.
Speaker 3: Very smart.
Speaker 5: There you go, and yep and meet well, I know whose house I'll be heading to if things go down.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, David, thank you.
Speaker 5: So much for joining us that this was such a great conversation and we will hopefully see you very soon.
Speaker 4: I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, will you come back when we get to season eight? That might be yeah, I'm actually on let's yeah, yeah again, great, and then.
Speaker 4: We can play the song that I can get more.
Speaker 3: There, Yes, exactly, Yes, we'll play it.
Speaker 5: Well will It'll be an entire episode just of that song, just playing on a loop on a loop, and will be like that counts for like a lot of replay, so it's at least in there, at least at least yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 3: All right, d well, thank you so much for joining us, and we'll see soon. That's David, We love you.
Speaker 4: Love you too.
Speaker 5: He is so great, Like he really is just super successful as a producer and like director and creator with all of these movies.
Speaker 3: He's really doing a great job.
Speaker 2: And there's no ego too. For as much volume as he's done like you wouldn't know. He's just like the nicest, like everyday guy too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he really is the guy that's like I will I will sleep here, I will stay here, I will lay on the roof holding the tarp down myself.
Speaker 3: Like he just he is that guy and it's.
Speaker 5: It makes it a real pleasure to work with because you know, again that's that's kind of how I work as like, no, you know, let's not have you go about this. Let's just all jump in and do it and have fun. And yeah, it's great to work with. But yeah, he's killing it. He's killing movies in August and a birthday.
Speaker 2: He should go out and buy a lottery ticket every day in August.
Speaker 5: Right, Seriously, Well, what an incredible interview with our friend David Lipper. We absolutely love spending time with him on full and Fuller and this podcast, so being able to catch up with him was just so much fun. A huge thank you to David for joining us today and make sure and check out all of his movies and all of the fun stuff that he has coming up. There is just so much. He's really really super talented, So a huge thank you to all of our fan of Ritos. For listening, and if you want to find us on Instagram, you can check us out at how Read podcast or send us an email at Havard podcast at gmail dot com. Liken subscribe to the podcast where you're listening to it so that you can get all the newest episodes and minisodes as soon as they come out. And remember, everybody, the world is small, but the Costco freezer section is always full except the day before fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Yes, nailed it.