Speaker 1: I mean, if the Braves come even close to the number of injuries they had last year, I don't know what they need to do in that clubhouse because that would be all time bad luck and back to back years.
Speaker 2: Hammer Territory host Scott Coleman joining us right now on Foul Territory. Big crowd in the Atlanta area, really in Braves country, all in the Southeast that's watching right now. So we're excited to have be on. Scott is the most downloaded Braves podcast, So go check it out and we're going to get right to biz because we got a lot to cover with the Braves. So let's hit the storylines. Don't rush me. Ronald Acunya back again from a major lower body injury. We'll see how he does with the knee. Chris Sales encore, We'll see how he does. How often do they maybe rest him to make sure that he is ready for a postseason run. But you also got to get in Spencer Strike coming back soon. And is there a shortstop void with this team? Should they have gone after somebody to handle the infield and move Orlando Arcia to more of a bentrol All right, let's start at the top. Ronald Cunya Junior super important part of this team. They didn't have him for a good chunk of last season. What do you think of what they've said so far and what Ronald has said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Braves probably learned a lesson a couple of years ago when Acuna tore his ACL the first time, and while he was still good by at least maybe the league standards, Ronald Acunya Junior was not the superstar level player that we all have come to see when he returned in twenty twenty two after he tore his ACL the first time, he just it never looked like Ronald felt comfortable. And because of that, I think the Braves are showing extra caution, and not only just this spring, but even in the offseason. Alex and Thoppolos said, I think the winter meetings that Ronald was not going to be on the opening day roster, and that's a significant statement when you're still four months away from opening day at that point. So I think the Braves are going to be overly cautious with their superstar outfielder. And if it means that if you have a Kunya closer to one hundred percent whenever he does make it back to the field, maybe in late April or even at some point in May. I think the Braves are probably playing the long game here and just banking on Acunya being more of himself because we know how high his ceiling is when everything is clicking and when he is feeling good.
Speaker 3: Speaking of guys feeling good last year, Chris sale my boy, or as my bay, as Kratz likes to call him, because you know, I caught his I caught his debut and I've known him for a long time. So Cratz and Jels, then nobody likes him that much. Okay, here we go, but can he do it again? He's thirty six, He had an unbelievable year, you know, Cy Young, the whole, the whole Enchilada kind of tweaked his back at the end, had a full healthy offseason. Can he do this again and be a Chris so because they're going to need him to be that Chris silly was last year, especially with some of the guys they've lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I know Chris has been on the show a couple of times, this time a year ago. Of course, he's going to have confidence in himself as a competitor and someone who's been doing it at a high level for a long time. But I don't even know if Chris Sale would have told you that he had eighteen and three with a two point four ERA and leading Baseball and war still in him. But Sale was so impressive last season, and I think the Braves handled him perfectly. A year ago, I was looking at this earlier. Chris Sale made twenty nine starts last season. He had at least one extra day of rest in twenty two of those twenty nine starts, and I don't think it's a coincidence that up until that very final week of the season when the backspasms popped up, that Sale was just so dominant basically every single time he went out there. So I would imagine the Braves are going to have a very similar plan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And you're absolutely right, I think protecting Sale and keeping him healthy and hopefully ready for the playoffs should that time come, is going to be the priority. And if that means that they have to call up somebody from TRIPAA to make a spot start or to give Sale an extra day of rest, I think you do it because we know just how good this guy is whenever he's been healthy, I mean not even just last year with the Braves, but basically his entire career. When Chris Sale has been healthy, he's been awesome, and the Braves are really going to need him in that rotation, especially with guys like Max Freed and Charlie Morton moving on.
Speaker 3: Sales stayed healthy all the way till the very end, but other key members of that core of that team did not stay healthy. Is this going to be a trend moving forward here going into twenty twenty five or have they figured out how to hopefully curtail that from happening again.
Speaker 1: It's a big question, and I just have to think that after just an all time unlucky season for the Braves with injuries last year, that they're gonna they're do some good fortune from the baseball gods. I mean, just a quick rundown for folks, if maybe they aren't Braves fans. This is like an abridged version of what this team lost last year. Spencer Strider missed basically the entire year, Acuna tore his acl in May, Austin Riley broke his hand and missed the final two months of the season. Ozzy Alby's broke his toe and then broke his wrist. Sean Murphy, their all star catcher from a year ago, had a nasty oblique injury on opening Day, missed two months and basically wasn't himself all year. Michael Harris, their five tools center fielder, missed two months with a hamstring. Aj Minter, who's been one of the better lefty setup men in the game for the past couple of years, had a hip injury and ultimately underwent surgery. And honestly, I mean, the microcosm of the season, guys, was friend of the show. Wit Merrifield joined the Braves as an injury replacement for Ozzy, always at second base in Mirfield. On his very first day in Atlanta, has a nasty finger injury in pregame warm ups and ends up missing time. And it's been one of the more tougher iron men in the game for his whole career. And what happens when he shows up and he's in Atlanta for one day and then he needs to miss time with a finger injury. He also hurt his foot too, So I mean, by the end of the year, the Braves were starting three waiver claims basically every night because of all the injuries they suffered. And I mean, it's a credit to them for still winning eighty nine games and getting into the playoffs at the very end, but man alive. I mean, if the Braves come even close to the number of injuries they had last year, I don't know what they need to do in that clubhouse because that would be all time bad luck and back to.
Speaker 3: Back years and all of that, all of those injuries and their all star shortstop from twenty to twenty three, Orlando Garcia had a one of my really good friends, had an abysmal year, and somehow they still made the playoffs. So if you think the Braves are, you know, they're out, down and out. Don't like you just forget exactly how good this team is. But that shortstop position, are they gonna just roll with? Oh? Are they going to then say, Okay, we're just gonna keep an eye on it the whole time because it's tough to find big league shortstops. Could it be a trade part way through the season, or is there a prospect in the pipeline that might be able to be that next answer at shortstop.
Speaker 1: For them, it sure seems like they're gonna roll with Orlando Arcia again in shortstop. I'd be fascinated to know behind the scenes what work the front office did to try to improve that position. And the story the Braves will tell you publicly is they feel that if everybody is healthy or at least mostly healthy in that lineup, if Orlando Arcia is batting ninth and playing good defense and just giving you a little bit of offense in that ninth hole at shortstop, they're going to be fine offensively. That being said, that was their plan a year ago, and then half of the team got hurt and there was a stretch where Arcia was batting fifth because he had had a couple of good games in a row, and it's like, who else is going to hit here? Why not have him bat fifth? For Arcia, he just wasn't very good last season offensively. He was really really bad with runners in scoring position, and it felt like by the end of the year it was almost a mental block for Arcia where he would come up with two runners on base and just the bat and the approach was all off, and it was in his head at that point so I think the Braves they're just hoping and banking that Arcia is more of the player he was in twenty twenty three, when funny enough, he had a great first half and was actually an All Star, and then just hope that it's more of twenty twenty three than the player who struggled quite a bit last season.
Speaker 2: Scott, great insight. Of course, you hear all of this plus the ft hat that he's wearing on Hammer Territory many episodes every single week when there is breaking news, they're out there instantly with an emergency episode. You can see Scott and Brad there to others as well. It's a four team crew to make sure that they've got you covered for Braves coverage all year long, many many episodes right after games to kind of serving as your postgame show. So Scott, great to see you, Thanks for the insight, and we'll see you on Hammer.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ell, it's great to talk with you all and happy to have baseball back.