Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong, and Jetty and He.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Ye Getty Strong.
Speaker 2: This is the Armstrong and Getty Show, featuring our podcast One More Thing, Get It wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 3: Katie or or anybody can answer this question. Do you know who Keith Jarrett is? Mm? Hmm, I know the name, which is where I was about a week ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm Jarrett.
Speaker 3: I like all kinds of music, like there is on a song by song basis. There is no genre I don't like really except for metal. I just have never been able to get in any metal. But other than that, every genre there are songs I like and songs I don't. With songs thought, and so I'm like really into learning to play the piano the last couple of years, and I watch a lot of videos about piano, and some guys I like were doing an all time Greatest Pianist's list the other day. Who are the goats? Are you familiar that people now refer to goats as plural? It's a plural, It's not it's not. No, no, No, that doesn't work at all. Sorry, you're wrong. Apparently I'm wrong too. I've just become aware enough times. Now you name goats, these three are the goats, the greatest of all time? Yeah, I don't get it, but that's the way people refer to it.
Speaker 2: Think what Honestly, although that is silly, you know, grammatically speaking, I much prefer that who's the greatest guitar player? That's an idiotic question. So now you say, if you want to name a bunch of people are on the very top tier. Great, that's what people mean when they say goat. Now anyway, one of the goats was this Keith Jarrett piano player who I had heard of, but like I'd tried to listen to before and couldn't get into. Maybe I just wasn't ready for it yet. Sometimes that is the case with music.
Speaker 3: You're not ready for it yet for a variety of reasons, fairly complex. Is this like is this a new artist or is this no? OK, he's still alive. He doesn't perform anymore because he had some strokes and can't play the piano anymore, but he is considered among jazz musicians like one of the top rick Beato, the music producer, has got a YouTube video that millions of people have watched an interview with Keith Jarrett and calls him one of the great music composers of the last century at least. I mean, he's just an absolute genius, and a genius in the fact that most of his famous albums are completely improvised. That was his thing. He walks into a stadium and the feel of the piano, the crowd, the room, the day, he just makes it up, you know, like four songs, oh he plays. And he even says that like if he has an idea, he discounts it. He doesn't want to have an idea before he goes out there. He just wants to feel at as he goes. And it's just okay, start you to hear some if that were me, So go ahead and start the song, Michael, because I'm going to talk about it over this. And so one of the recommendations I was looking up to some of the best Keith Jarrett stuff, and one of the recommendations was this song. It's from live Bordeaux concert Live. Most of his famous stuff is live, Like I said, all improvised, crank it up enough that we can hear.
Speaker 2: This is part one. Where does the singing start?
Speaker 3: There's no singing against instrumental. This is part three. There's just four parts. Like I said, he's improvising it. So he just does four songs ranging from four to fifteen minutes long, just however long he's feeling it. Crowd goes wild. If the crowd reacts poorly, he yells at them. It's a very touchy artists sort of person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you get off?
Speaker 3: There a drum solo? There's no drum solo, and you good crank it up because this is what's interesting. So I became obsessed with this song on Sundays after the Grammy's. Interestingly enough, I became aware of it and I listened to the whole thing while I was walking the dog, and it hit me in a way like I don't remember the last time a song has hit me like this. And I probably listened to it ten times that night, including in bed with my headphones on while I was falling asleep, maybe ten times the next day in the rain. I send it to some people. It's just it affected me in so much in.
Speaker 2: Such a way.
Speaker 3: Now I'm getting to the punchline that you're gonna find quite hilarious.
Speaker 2: Oh boy on this song affecting me so much.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, this isn't really like even my sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just so.
Speaker 3: And it gets slightly more complex. I mean, it's just very pretty sweet piano music. It's four minutes here, let me read this. So I started doing a little research on famous Keith Jarrett albums, and this album has four and five stars from all your big jazz magazines and top reviewer of all time and that sort of stuff, and particularly this song. Here's one of the reviews for this song from McSweeney's. It's one of the most respected jazz critics of all time. A note for divorced Dads on Keith Jarrett's Bordeaux Concert Part three, And I thought, what what one would have a difficult time finding a musical composition that better suits the emotions of a recently divorced dad than Keith Jarrett's Bordeaux Concert Part three. If I happened upon a divorced dad driving around looking for coffee in his twenty eighteen Ford f one fifty or something, I would stop him and play it for him.
Speaker 2: It gives me.
Speaker 3: Goosebumps actually reading this. This is free key as a guy who drove a twenty fifteen for one fifty. The entirety of the piece is four minutes and four seconds. I cannot think of a reason why a recently divorced dad couldn't find that kind of time. Once the divorce, Dad and I have and understanding we would venture into it. The composition, it begins with the stable rolling chords that gently root the piece, drawing up imagery of a young couple holding hands in a tall grass. They're one entity. Is zeygeite of relationship. And it goes on and on like this through the whole relationship, falling in love, being in love, deciding to have kids, having kids, it becoming difficult, and falling apart, the divorce happening, you trying to raise your kids on your own. At the end of this song, and then he ends actually with now go pick up your kid from karate practice.
Speaker 2: Now this is freaking me out.
Speaker 3: Turn it out just a little bit, Michael, because now I think we're into the You realize you're divorced and you're raising your kids on your own.
Speaker 2: Part. Yes, I don't know, now did Keith Jarrett say any of this or this is just the reviewer figuring quote unquote figuring this out.
Speaker 3: This is one of the weenies. This is one of the most famous jazz reviewers of all time. That's the way he interpreted this music and me as a recently divorced dad laying in bed listening to it ten times in a row because it touched me in a way I can't remember music ever touching me. What the hell is that is weird? Well, it is weird. Holy smuff, I know, isn't that strange?
Speaker 2: Well, hey, you got anything for angsty empty nesters? I like to play golf? Yeah, yeah, Wow, Wow.
Speaker 3: What a trip.
Speaker 2: Isn't that strange? Though? Yeah, I mean that's that's beyond strange. That's uh does he ex well? I guess he kind of sort of explains why, but not no way that I would find terribly compelling if I came across it anywhere else in any other context. I think, well, wait a minute, there are a lot of, you know, trips people go through in their lives that maybe start like super exciting, promising, then get kind of rocky, and then you've just got to make the most of it and move on. I mean, there are a lot of things like that, but here.
Speaker 3: We are, well, they're also a million pieces of music that are kind of sweet but modling. But you know, whatever, the fact that this well known jazz critic picks out one of the most respected jazz pieces in history and assigns this particular meaning to it, and then I, not knowing that it'd be one thing if i'd read that first, but not knowing that at all, get pulled into this song in a way I don't. I don't remember the last time I've been pulled into a song where I listened to it that many times in a row, if ever, in my life.
Speaker 4: It's amazing how different music works. That's how you felt with that, And I felt like I was on hold waiting for a prescription from like CVS.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I agree in any other context, I would have been the same way, and I probably would have listened to like a minute and thought for me and gone to the next song. And it makes me question my understanding of you know, abstract art and stuff like that. When I look at a piece of art in a walm thing, she's my three year old could do that. That doesn't mean anything because that music.
Speaker 2: See, I'm into that.
Speaker 3: Normally that kind of music, well, I agree with Hitler, it's it's a ruse, But that kind of music usually, I think is just kind of meandering, and I understand some people like it, but it's not really my bag. The fact that it had such a specific the fact that he even mentions a yes, okay, So here's here's the deal.
Speaker 2: Obviously we're we're sitting here, you know, rolling around in the wonder of it. We need to know more about this, this guru, this sage, this omniscient McSweeney person. What the hell's going on there? What sort of psychic witchery is is that?
Speaker 3: Does he have that ability with all songs in art? That painting over there, If your cat just got hit by a car, that's the perfect painting.
Speaker 2: As you're sitting there thinking of little Fluffy and admiring the brushstrokes, that's just freaky. Man.
Speaker 4: Man, Well, let me want to go find all of my favorite songs and read the reviews on it, just to see write anything lines up.
Speaker 3: One would have a difficult time finding a musical composition that better suits the emotions of a recently divorced dad. If I happened upon a divorced dad driving around looking for coffee in his twenty eighteen Ford F one to fifteen.
Speaker 2: And you're a coffee addict.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have done that as a I would stopping the year wrong, the hack and he left out going to get McDonald's on the way home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sure. That doesn't know anything.
Speaker 3: It's freaky man, laying in bed listening to it in my headphones in the dark, moved by music in a way maybe I never have been in my life weird.
Speaker 2: Now. I've been trying to think if there's anything that's been anything similar, any song or music similar to that, And all I can come up with is is I discovered an album several years after it was out by the band from Indiana called hound Mouth, and the song is my Cousin Greg, and the opening line is my cousin Greg is a greedy son of a bitch. And I'm just I'm not sure what McSweeney would say about that. I have no cousin Greg who's a greedy son of a bitch, so obviously it's not that close a fit. That's freaky, So I don't know what I'm You gotta look more into this, McSweeney dude because he's a witch.
Speaker 3: Or following me around. Yeah, that'd be my guess. Although he wrote this years ago.
Speaker 2: Well right, that's weird, man, I know.
Speaker 3: That's why I brought it to the podcast. I just thought this is too effing freaky. Next time, I'm gonna show a slow saxophone solo that expresses the feelings of a man is broken TV and no extended warranty.
Speaker 1: Miss Kat's wearing football jerseys. The Armstrong and Getdy Show. Yeah, your show podcasts and our hot lakes.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're Armstrong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast one more thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Turning to a new pole, gen Z doesn't want to go out to the bars and scream at each other over loud music or fifty thousand other people. It seems like sometimes having a conversations, they'd rather sit around at home and have a drink or two with their friends.
Speaker 3: Why did it take until gen Z to figure that out?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I don't want to like over. I don't want to dominate the podcast because I'm a team player. But I have never even when I was young and slightly hip and somewhat popular. I didn't want to go to bars and yell at each other. You'll have crazy.
Speaker 3: You'll have to weigh in on this, Katie, because but my experience is I was out at the bars a lots of times. We're like at a quiet kind of bar and everybody talking to say, even o'clock.
Speaker 2: We got to go over to the where and.
Speaker 3: I think, why, we're having a perfectly good time here. We can hear each other, we're sitting. We're gonna go to some place where we're like shuffled around shoulder to shoulders, screaming at the top of our lungs, are not talking.
Speaker 2: Why go ahead, Katie.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I've I went through the phase of every weekend at the bars and all of that, and I did too for twenty two years.
Speaker 3: So hid for twenty two years.
Speaker 4: But it was it was a solid seven you know, and it got exhausting. Now when I go out to the bars, it's more of that environment where it's just chilling.
Speaker 3: It's very quiet, some music, but there's not a lot of yelling. No, I never never. When I was when I was twenty years old, the drinking age was eighteen. When I went to college, when I was.
Speaker 2: Twenty years old.
Speaker 3: I had no interest in going to the big throbbing club and yelling at the person next to me. Thank God for you.
Speaker 2: Refrain from saying big throbbing club if you can. Yeah, I've just I've never had that in me. This golf club where I play golf mostly opened up a new bar and it's like quiet and classy and set up for like conversation areas where four to six people can sit and chat and have a drink and all in and Judy and I went there and we were like, oh my god, this is perfect. And then we ran into some friends of ours who really aren't great people, but the dude was like, oh my god, did they waste that space?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I couldn't hate it off. Where are the TVs with the play by play going and the energy? We want energy?
Speaker 3: I want no energy, less energy.
Speaker 2: I'd bring no energy and I want none thrust upon me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and same way with restaurants. I hope gen Z kills loud restaurants. You know whenever. It was in the mid nineties that they decided to take all the baffling out of the ceilings and have it be open brick and pipes, so you can get as much sound reverberating as possible. So it's just deafeningly loud, and every clink of every glass and fork and the whole place echoes in your head. Who loves that?
Speaker 4: Or it's just acceptable to be obnoxiously allowed at the table, Like I remember when being in a restaurant, you know, you had manners and you had to be kind of quiet and polite, and then you've got tables next to you just screaming and having a pull blown party and it's normal now.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of being a team player, obviously we're a group of at least somewhat grumpy, somewhat introverted people. But some people obviously are energized by that. They like it. It gives them more energy. As they say about extroverts and introverts. Being around people energizes extroverts and it drains the energy from introverts, and it must be that way with like loud bars and restaurants and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Well, but are you arguing that the percentage of people that are introverts is higher among gen z or do they just wise up to why are we standing in this super loud bar? Interesting question, Good lord, I can't come close to answering it. Here are the stats.
Speaker 2: Let's see bubba A News finds the two and three gen z wine enthusiasts, So this people who'd rather drink wine for what that's worth. Two out of three out for the comfort of their homes when it comes to drinking, specifically home. Poll of two thousand American adults between twenty one and twenty six found those who enjoy wine, only twenty three percent would choose to go to a bar, and only eighteen percent would opt for drinking at some sort of live event. For gen Z wine enthusiasts, having a glass as an opportunity to be social as hanging out with friends tops the list of activities they prefer up partake in while drinking. But they'd really rather do it at home than out anywhere, maybe elause the cost of living so high for young people and they're trying to save money. That was the other thing, because, especially because I was pretty poor when I was young, is I could afford like a beer if we went out, I could have a couple at home. End of discussion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't the right kind of bar. I liked the more like the more like people in boots bars because that's where I could sidle up to a table to girls and they wouldn't notice that I was drinking all their picture beer because I couldn't afford to buy beer. You're that guy, and well, girls oftentimes get pictures of beer. They aren't gonna drink them. They're not really drinkers. They just they needed to have it sitting there. It's kind of a prop. I'll take care of that for you. Wow, this is a rarity.
Speaker 2: The judges reporting a ten on resourcefulness, a ten on creepiness, and a ten on alcoholism.
Speaker 3: It's a rare triple ten, a perfect score.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Show, Fancy Armstrong and Getty Show, featuring our podcast. One more Thing, We do a new one every day. Find it wherever you find your podcasts.
Speaker 2: What the heck happened? An expert weighs in. It's one more thing.
Speaker 3: Before we get to that.
Speaker 2: Two quick things.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: I just looked up at the the Twitter machine and there is something on there about young people in New York talking about how they all got punched in the face because of a recent TikTok challenge in which the thing was to just walk up and punch people in the face, and some of the morons do it. I want a TikTok challenge that is, it's the leave your parents' house, get a job and support yourself challenge, the follow the law, pay your taxes, and raise your kids right challenge. See if that catches on, It'll be waiting forever for that. God. I saw one the other day where there's a whole bunch of iterations of this of like, it's just abusing old people, scaring them basically, and.
Speaker 2: It's just horrific, harsh and draconian penalty act like somebody broke into the house for grandma and then and you know get her reaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she's an old woman who thinks somebody broke into her home. That's why she reacted that way. Why is that funny, you freaking moron. You should be in jail just for this. You know, it's concerning the people who do that and the people who laugh at it. Oh my god, this one was a I guess this was a Jackass thing originally from the Jackass movie. I saw this on TikTok the other day. It was you push a stroller with a baby in it, a fake baby at toy the doll doll is the term fake billy. Yeah, and bother shirt and the like, you know, the stroller you accidentally trip and push it into traffic in a car hits it or something like that, and then you got the reaction of people who are horrified that a baby just got ran over. Why is that funny?
Speaker 4: Or you get the people that run out into traffic trying to stop it. Right, there's another guy that's going he went viral the other day that was going through like walmarts and targets and going up to people that had full carts, families, I mean everything, and just pulling the cart and knocking it over and knocking this stuff everywhere and then running away for no reason at all than to be a dick.
Speaker 3: Right, And then their friends film that and put it on TikTok, and then people watch it and I think that's okay.
Speaker 2: I guess I I well.
Speaker 3: I had them with the algorithm. Is the more attention they get, they get paid. I'm glad you're young and complaining about this, because when Joe and I complain about this, we just sound like you know, old men about modern culture. But this is a change in society.
Speaker 2: Oh yees, yeah, well you're complaining about it. I'm even now sketching out my plan to form a vigilante group that's going to find these Internet scoundrels and hunt them down and give them some real world ass kickings.
Speaker 3: Oh I know what it was. So you take the car carrier thing that you put your baby in, like when you go into the grocery store, and then come back and snap it into the car seat. The person puts it on top of the car, It does some stuff and then drives off with on top of the car, and then you film the reactions of everybody freaking out that you drove off with your baby on top of your car.
Speaker 4: I do love it New York. There is a hashtag I punch back, and there.
Speaker 3: Are a series of videos of people I'll tell you what, you come and knock over my cart full of stuff with my kids there. I'm gonna have to fight myself to not tackle you. And we're rolling.
Speaker 2: Around and find out oh god, damn it. All right, Well this is troubling and disturbing in the world is ugly and full of evil anyway. So it turns out a giant cargo ship took out a bridge in Baltimore on the day that we are recording this podcast. The death toll is yet on unknown but at a terrible disaster and incredibly dramatic video as well. This posted at Armstrong and Giddy dot com Tuesday, March twenty sixth Anyway, got this note.
Speaker 3: From twenty thirty two.
Speaker 2: Very good. I'm speaking to you from the Moon colony while Jack remains on Earth. Trump is in his fifteenth term. Finally, finally, one party rule, as we dreamed of secretly all those years we were talking about the Constitution. So Al the Mariner, we'll just call him Al anonymous. I don't think he'd mind, but does this sort of thing for a living, big ship shipping and has corresponded with us through the years whenever something in his realm comes up. And he's quite knowledgeable and appreciate the note. But I'll read you parts of his email to us. I watched this with my captain and cadet. I don't know what a cadet is. Apparently that's something on a ship, and from what we can tell, it looks like they lost the plant the ship's power and or propulsion and collided with the northern span of the bridge. Yeah, actually twice they lost power. She meaning the boat most definitely had at least a harbor pilot on board, and may even have had a docking pilot on board too. Harbor or bay pilots get the ship from the sea buoy to the port, and docking pilots park the ship. Driving a conning a ship or driving it isn't nearly as simple as most people think it is.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's simple. I mean it's probably really hard.
Speaker 2: Oh. I thought it was hard, and it's harder than I thought. This ship has a bow thruster one, so okay, whoo. I'm trying so hard not to laugh. I don't want to give him the encouragement.
Speaker 3: That was great, Jack, Thank you for that child. God, my child is right, my son who's twelve, and I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: Drop to. That's what she said on me the other day.
Speaker 3: Because it's popular in school, and I don't think they most of them know what they're really talking about.
Speaker 2: But I don't see that gives me hope for the next generation. It really does. Were they discussing China on the playground? Oh, boy. So the ship has a bow thruster just like Jack, one slow speed diesel engine, and one fixed pitch propeller. In order for most of these types of ships to reverse propulsion, the engineers first have to have to unclutch the shaft. I won't, I won't good, shut down the engine, stop the shaft from spinning, restart the engine backwards, and clutch in the shaft. These ships are built to run most of their lives going forward as efficiently as possible, so they are incredibly inefficient trying to make way a stern backing up. In a perfect world, it would take a few minutes to start backing down. Well, this isn't a perfect world.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't know they could start going backwards that fast. I figured it took longer than that, longer than what a few minutes.
Speaker 2: No, in a perfect world, it would take a few minutes to start backing down. But this is not a perfect world. With ships, you can't just put it in reverse first. You are trying to take off tens of thousands of laws long tons of momentum. It's a term I'm completely unfamiliar with. With the added delay of the plant going through its process of getting the stern bell going. So for the most part, mariners have to maneuver their way out of an open moment. If you don't have power, you can't move the hydraulics involved with the rudder to push your stern. Over most cargoes, vessel pivot point is a third of the ship's length from the bow to the so even if we are able to start a turn, the ship may still have hit the bridge on the side of the vessel like a glancing blow. Also, with a fixed pitch prop, you will back up the opposite side your screw pins. Oh back up to the opposite side your screwpins. For example, if your prop spins clockwise going forward, this is called the right handed propeller. Well, you're trying to back up, your stern will get pushed to the left. Then he goes into how the rudder works. But the point is it is a nightmare to maneuver these things, and you've got to be extremely good at it because there's so much energy, that much weight in motion.
Speaker 3: Well, I know you're seafaring people, Katie. Your dad has a boat and everything, But if you've ever driven a boat at all, you know how difficult it can be to you know, go a certain direction or stop from going a certain direction if you miscalculate.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and everything takes extra time. There is no immediate maneuver on anything on the water.
Speaker 3: And then so our Joe and I's friend Dave, who lives on a boat down San Diego. Last time I was with him, I guess it was last Friday, fourth of July. So we're on his boat and we come back and he lost motors. He lost one of his motors, so he lost the motor on one side, so he could only navigate one direction. And man, we ended up having a bad thing happen. But we were all on one side of boat trying to keep us from smashing into all these other boats and smashing his boat up against the poles because once you start drifting, and he got no motors, like that guy was talking about, if you've got no power, you're just going the direction you were going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't know if you guys saw that video where it's sped up where you can see where this ship is heading towards the bridge.
Speaker 3: I mean the power goes out twice.
Speaker 4: So they're clearly having some big issues, let alone trying to maneuver this thing.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'll get to that in just a second, but he points out the description of how the rudder works that and anybody who has a boat knows this. You can't turn a boat that isn't moving right. It's got to be moving to turn, and if you need it to turn quickly, it needs to be going fast.
Speaker 3: If you've driven on snow or ice, you know this phenomenon also, right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so they had that problem, and it takes a long damn time to move a ship like that significantly, especially at the speeds they were going. Then he says, all of that being said, the loss of power adds a massive delay to try to make any corrective action. In the video you can see the lights cut off and back on again. We timed it. It took well over a minute to get power back on. The regulations say that the emergency diesel generators should only take it most forty five seconds to store power to the emergency systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that reminds me of the text we got that said I didn't know Boeing made ships now huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, uh. With this, you'll probably hear why didn't they just drop an anchor? Well, it doesn't work like that in the movie Battleship or Contraband. In order for the flukes of modern anchors to fetch up, you have to be going almost one knot. I had a captain tell me one time, never run aground with two anchors on board. They don't do. But it makes it looks like you tried everything. Oh okay, so that.
Speaker 3: Such just First of all, I didn't think of the anchor thing. If I'd thought of it, I would have said that myself. Why didn't they drop the anchor? But don't run aground without having dropped both anchors, or at least it looks like you tried.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. Things like this can have a number of things go wrong, ranging from misjudgment from the pilot, of miscommunication between the pilot and captain, or a mistake in the engine room that caused a loss of power and or propulsion. Shoot, it could be all three. I highly recoon keeping an eye on the YouTube channel what is going on with shipping. The guy there does a great job at explaining maritime and navy stuff, and he'll break this down as soon as he has info.
Speaker 3: So these great big giant tanker ships that got all those containers on them and railroad cars and stuff like that, or trailers for semis. I mean that gives you the perspective. It's the only way you can get any perspective on these things. As they're sitting out in the ocean with nothing next to them. You look at those things and think, he's one of those is like a train car or a container or whatever it is. Yeah, and you think, oh my god, that's a giant ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But remember so we were at a port in West Sacramento where they ship lots of rice in and out from around the world. Remember that guy telling us stories about those giant ships that come in and there aren't very many people on those ships, and how weird.
Speaker 2: They all were.
Speaker 3: Yes, that story, I do you've ever heard this, Katie before. But they're out there for months, and a lot of people that work on these ships are very strange people. Because you're somebody that wants to be on a ship with northern he human beings and like no entertainment or anything like that for months by yourself down in the dark of a ship's people.
Speaker 2: These guys, uh don't even have visus, so they can't come off the ship. So they'll dock in the US or dock in some port. That sounds interesting. They're not allowed to get off the ship.
Speaker 3: They just stay in their dark ship. Yeah, that special kind of personality for that job.
Speaker 2: Right, I was Frank, Right, wasn't that his name?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was super interesting though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And whenever I see those ships, that's what I think of. Now, got some really strange mole people living on that ship.
Speaker 2: Romanian mole people must not be allowed off.
Speaker 4: It comes out of my mouth every time we go on the boat with my family, because we'll go out of the estuary and we're down on the sea level looking up at those things, and I'm always like, how do those how do they float?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? Yeah, oh yeah, there're you know, some terms are overused. They are quite literally breasttaking to sea from anywhere close to them.
Speaker 3: Well, they displaced more than the weight of the water technically is how they float. But that's hard to imagine that that even happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they what Oh.
Speaker 3: Keep your shaft oiled?
Speaker 2: Ya am right? An right? Wow? And a clip from shaft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was just all sorts of interfer It was a multi media presentation you gave us there The.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty Show, Jack Your Shoe, podcasts and our Hot Lakes.
Speaker 2: It's the Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast One more Thing. Download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 3: A couple of texts before we get to Joe. Why Joe hates Canadians.
Speaker 2: I do not hate Canadians. But that's what you said.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't paying attention. I have to share this, says a texture. I took my six year old granddaughter to San Francisco. While we're walking to lunch, a group of men rode by in their bikes, absolutely naked. My granddaughter said, Nana, who is running this place out of the mouth of babes?
Speaker 2: Yep, oh wow.
Speaker 3: Sort of thing you will see in San Francisco, completely naked men on bicycles, And some people think that's wonderful for some reason, that that's like progress for some reason, I'll ever understand.
Speaker 2: A bunch of twist Tooids.
Speaker 3: Also mentioned at the end of the radio show on the twenty first that it was my birthday and for some reason, I've never cared less about my birthday than now. And I'm not exactly sure if it's wisdom and maturity or depression and I've lost the ability to enjoy life. But we did get this text your birthday. Everyone has one. You're not special.
Speaker 2: Geez, wow, thank you for that. All right, That's that's a person I really pity. Yeah, imagine being that unhappy.
Speaker 3: I just I don't even know. I don't even know. When I see that sort of stuff on social media and you see a lot, it's always like, wow, first of all, Jack, happy birthday. Second of all that pero, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that has nothing to do with you, obviously, I know you know that Jack. No, no, no, no, boy, that's that's entirely about that person.
Speaker 3: When I come across that stuff on social media. Really, honest to God, the thing I think is I need to make sure my kids don't end up like that, to where they're so miserable at the with the lure lives that they have to strike out at anything that might be pleasant or happy for someone to get through the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jesus, it's so awful.
Speaker 4: Or someone that that maybe isn't so miserable that they do that, but does it for joy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know there are those.
Speaker 4: People that that, I mean, you see them all over the Internet that create these accounts just to troll people because they enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I've only known I've only I've only personally known two trolls, but they both had the same attitude. So I'm just assuming that that's kind of common among the troll community. They really get such enjoyment of there's somebody happy. I'm gonna try to take some of that. And it's just think it's so weird. I've never had that feeling. You know, somebody, somebody's a sickness, somebody got somebody got a new car, and I say, I heard they suck or just something like that.
Speaker 2: What what is that like? Why? Well, as I've always said, people who are too dopey or lazy to build things, the only satisfaction they get is from breaking things. And again that's pathetic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the person who vandalizes the playground equipment. I mean, it's the same sort of thing.
Speaker 2: It's just awful. The only effect they will ever have on the world before they are dead is to break things and hurt people, So that's what they do. And and again it's it's just painfully pathetic. What is a birthday dinner for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I'm gonna go eat steak tonight and some sort of ill advised dessert. Be my guess, it's more from my kids than me. I don't know if I would even leave the house tonight if it birthday. Bang bang Oh boy, that sounds like a challenge. Steak five pushups, that's the that's the deal. A bang bang is back to back meals of completely different kinds. So what do I follow steak with pizza? Stop and get a pizza?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, steak is a dense, dense first blow.
Speaker 3: It's gonna leave a mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow. Following up steak something completely different, nice uh Ramen restaurant or something that's a little hipster for you.
Speaker 3: Maybe Italian though in the noodle the noodle realm.
Speaker 2: Well right, let's go Raman adjacent I like the spaghetti and meatballs. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I did an accidental bang bang with my brother when he was in town when I had cancer. We ate a pizza not knowing my wife was making dinner, and then we got home and she had made a big dinner, like a big homemade dinner because my brother was in town, and so you can't, you know, so she colums the word We had stuffed ourselves with pizza, but then brought it hard for that homemade dinner.
Speaker 2: Also, well, wait, a man up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I commend you for that. It's just the polite thing to this
Speaker 2: Armstrong and getty