Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh one, Episode four of I Guys Say, production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into.
Speaker 2: America shared consciousness.
Speaker 1: And it's Friday, August twenty fifth, twenty twenty three. Happy birthday, Eve to.
Speaker 2: My sister Shannon.
Speaker 1: Oh you thought it was my other sister already, Eve, like the singer Oh, happy birthday to Eve as well. I mean, there's a one in three hundred and sixty five chance that Eve, it's Eve's birthday.
Speaker 2: I thought you were afraid of the original woman.
Speaker 1: Also entirely possible. You know, it definitely looks a little muggy in the garden of Eden, a little sunny, so we don't know.
Speaker 2: You know that I'm a fund medalist Christian. I should have.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that we're going to get into it.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, we've completely on your intro and yes.
Speaker 1: This is guys, this is off format. And the thing that people come here for is to hear me say the exact same words for the first minute and a half. They're uncomfortable if they don't hear That has nothing to do with my comfort level than me needing to robotically recite everything before I uh, before I bring anyone else. And anyways, my name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co host who you've already heard from. It's an award winning podcast host, writer, producer, actor. You know from Grand Crew How I Met your father? Uh from guest hosting this podcast frequently it's Jack easneya.
Speaker 4: Ja job, job job jo Keys not tell me what you're going and Dode, I can't come for you what you're going to do. And I'm gonna miss everybody. It's like it's for every about it.
Speaker 3: Oh what up? Negross, we are back. Daddy Jack is bad. I haven't seen you in a minute, Jack.
Speaker 1: Man, It's so wild. I was just singing that song on this show like two days ago. I missed my uncle Charles, y'all, I.
Speaker 3: Do miss my uncle Charles. I got Charles.
Speaker 1: That was probably the most I ever ruined a song like for myself. I just I listened to the single over and over and over and over again for like a month straight.
Speaker 3: And I also that video scared the ship out of me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when that when they when dude's eyes turned black.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, no, angel comes through and just turns your whole eyes black, turned your whole eyes black.
Speaker 5: I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. Gun violence, gang violence. Nothing scared me until I see a dude's eyes turn black in the music video.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm scared now, baby.
Speaker 1: Like a doll's eyes. Yeah. Well, Jacquiese, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by another person you've already heard from, a very funny comedian improviser who's special spiritually filthy dropped earlier this year. It's very funny. It's more burn.
Speaker 2: Dude. Thank you for having me. Guys, i' psyched to be here. We're psyched to have you, ma'am.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about Jesus real quick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our one and only Lord and Savior? You mean, yes, thank you?
Speaker 1: What's good man? Where are you coming from?
Speaker 2: Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all in LA.
Speaker 3: All in LA.
Speaker 5: We all survived the hurriquake. Yeah, I'm absolutely over hyped.
Speaker 3: Hurricane they came through LA. Is that bad to say?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I think that's accurate. I mean, I'm from Missouri, where it's like there's just tornadoes and torrential right, like we're used to clement weather, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say I felt more wind on a normal summer day in Chicago.
Speaker 2: What we got, dude. I lived in Chicago for seven years and my friend likes to remind me of the time that it was colder in Chicago than on the Moon. That was like a real that's a thing that happened, bro.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 5: When I first moved to la in twenty twelve was the year of a polar vortex, and I went back for the winter and it was so cold because you know, Chicago got that wind chield. I know, Jack, know about that windshield. Chicago got that wind shield, and the wind chield made Chicago so cold that at the zoos in Chicago, they had to take the polar bears inside because it was too.
Speaker 3: Cold for them outside.
Speaker 5: I was like this, and then that's when I decided, like why would I ever come back here? Like this is a mental illness to live in this city during the winter. I should have lived a place where I can walk in the house, stick my head in a freezer and warm up.
Speaker 3: Like that's Chicago. Yeah, that's it's insane, but I love it.
Speaker 1: I love that story and that moon story are both such great. It's like they have some really like talented like novelists who's like writing for their local news, who's just like, how do I convey how fucking cold?
Speaker 2: He's acting like it's fine. That's the thing, like everybody's. It's like the domestic violence relationship where you're like, it's actually, there's four days in a fall. Where's he's amazing beautiful?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Right, and it is, oh man, the spring, the summer in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Ye spring, understand why you understand? That's right, you understand.
Speaker 1: I lived in Missouri for like two and a half years, and I remember there being one time when the sky was like the only thing I could describe it as is like go the end of Ghostbusters, when when the sky is like circling over that building. It was just like I don't know if it was a pre the pre comb of a tornado or what it was necessarily, but it was just very like I cut. I couldn't believe what I was looking at.
Speaker 2: That is a meteorological term, pre com pre covid. The sky turns, it looks like the northern lights, but like evil. You know, yeah, like it's the same. It's like mystical. But you know, but where's terrifying? Where's that color?
Speaker 1: Also growing up?
Speaker 5: Because Chicago and they get many tornadoes, but we got some, especially in the suburbs. Uh So, you know, people won't understand the fear, not fear because we got used to it.
Speaker 3: But hearing the tornado horn go off, you.
Speaker 1: Just hear it.
Speaker 3: That shit start going on. You like boys about to get windy up in here all the time.
Speaker 2: It's so insane. It's like it's like there's it's like a World War two bombing alarm, you know what I mean. You're not used to like on alarms. It's like a car alarm. But for the whole city, it's a crazy experience.
Speaker 3: It's very wild. Yeah, very wild.
Speaker 1: All right, Well more, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of things. We're talking about. Two nights ago was Debate night. We discussed it on Yesterday's Trending. But we're just going to check in with you know what, if anybody has seen any of the clips, what what your thoughts are and then you can do a little bit of a deeper dive on Vivek, who seems to be the surprise focus of the first debate. And there's this phrase that you often hear about him, that he is a scientist who has developed a number of medicines, which would be surprising to you if you watched the debate and saw that he thinks climate change is a hoax. And so we're just going to like dig into what his scientific scientist bonafie days are. We're gonna check him with Jorna Jordan Peterson Jorna as I call him for some reason, uh, because he has to go to Twitter school apparently.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna we're gonna look into the subtext of the Mission Impossible movies like what whether there is some scientological subtext running below the surface. All of that plenty more, But first more, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 2: I like to pick the I tried to pick the most boring one.
Speaker 1: Uh. Good good.
Speaker 2: I feel like that makes a good good podcast. And last night I searched how do I cook potatoes?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, my my I love this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My wife made a really good curry. Although she and look this, I love spicy. I actually really do like spicy shit. But like by any measure, it was way too spicy. Uh, just like nose flooding spicy, you know. So I had to go. I was like, we can't waste all this curry she made so much. So I went to the store and got potatoes, corn, and onions, and I was like, I'm going to thicken up this curry. I'm gonna I'm gonna cut the curry with various vegeta stepped on. Yeah, you need this curry to be stepped on exactly bingos. So then and then I just yeah. So then I ended up boiling the potatoes for twenty five minutes and yeap, and it was great, honestly, a little bit of salt and then a little bit of salt in the onions, cooked the onions in a separate pan, and yeah, ended up really making a solid curry.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say this, Listen, as a potato lover, I wouldn't trust anybody's who don't like potatoes.
Speaker 3: You know, everybody can eat them, Vegans can eat them.
Speaker 5: Everybody can eat a potato, right, And there's a in the choose your own adventure with the potato, Like, what is what would you see? What would you say your top three potato is?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, potatoes are French fries. Potatoes are potato chips. Potatoes are know the like a sad little cousin, the baked potato.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doude, I.
Speaker 2: Love a hash brown. I'll do a hash bro any day. I'll do a night hash brown. You know, I don't know why we're for brunch.
Speaker 1: A night A night hash brown.
Speaker 3: Night hash brown is great, so good.
Speaker 2: I'll do scrambled eggs with like veggies on top and hash browns on top.
Speaker 1: It's this whole.
Speaker 2: It's a hash. It's a mixed up hash.
Speaker 5: Are we talking are we talking shredded hash or are we talking hash brown patties?
Speaker 2: Beautiful question, Thank you chichies. I would do. I'm gonna go shredded just because you know what else I love is like the little shoe string potatoes. I like a thin I prefer.
Speaker 1: A thin potato. Do a thing so you can get a lot of the crust on the potato. I feel like hash brown is like that. We we have lots of potato options for dinner and lunch. That are all good. You know, the chip, you ran through a bunch of them, the chip, the French fry, mashed potatoes, I even love.
Speaker 3: I love your mash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, breakfast potatoes, though, I feel like hash browns are so far out in front of the home style potatoes. They do not like home style potatoes either. Keep those in your home.
Speaker 3: You sick coming home?
Speaker 5: You you They they're so easy to fuck up, that's the thing. Yes, Because like the thing about the thing about a breakfast potato in any variety, whether it's paddy hash brown patty or shredded hash around even breakfast, is the seasoning, Like.
Speaker 3: That's what's gonna. That's what's gonna.
Speaker 5: And like the thing about shredded is is shraded so thinly that the seasoning really soaks in really well. And when they're diced or home style, they're just cubes of potatoes. So the season to be following, you gotta make them soft, and if you don't, you make them too hard, then that season and not gonna hit. The home style potato is my my least favorite of the breakfast potato.
Speaker 2: And they're they're leaning so hard on Rosemary. They're acting like rose just found out about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's not that great?
Speaker 2: No, it's like yeah, it's yeah, it's like a it's like a subtle it's like slightly better tasting, like pencil shavings or something, you know what I mean. It's just weird. It stasts weird. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Texture is a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Roseberry is like a suggestion of It's like a whisper of a seasoning.
Speaker 5: It's a garnish almost. Oh the little the little spike things.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it smells great, smells like it's going to be the least Yeah. And then but you shouldn't have to eat it. It's like pine needles weird air. Yeah. By the way, potatoes, O'Brien, my aka is not a good potatoes dish. I don't think I've ever fully come out and said that, but uh, it's like green peppers and red peppers and maybe some tomatoes thrown in and like with some home fries, and it's just not not the thing that I'm looking for from potatoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: It's all about the crisp. It's exactly like you were saying about the hash browns. What you need the surface area to be much larger than the interior area.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, give mee crust.
Speaker 5: Underrated potato, underrated potato, cheesy scalloped underrated. Yeah, you don't get it too often, but every time I do, I'm like, shit hits.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what's interesting.
Speaker 2: Is most so like most cheese dishes are just cheese delivery systems, right like your math cheese is you know what I'm saying. But the cheesy scallops or ero grotten potatoes, those are both potatoes which are amazing, and cheese, which is great, so you can't really go wrong.
Speaker 1: Beautiful real cast roll if if you're if, I'm gonna go cast roll. I don't mind the two predominant ingredients being cheese and potatoes. That's beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: This is now a pretty passable food podcast. We just changed it is.
Speaker 1: It's whatever, it's whatever you want it to be. What what's something more? Do you think is overrated? U?
Speaker 2: Overrated? Waking up early? Mm?
Speaker 1: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: Hell yes, I think we have a society built on a bunch of try hard nerds and uh who are all are all up at six am, can't wait to get their oatmeal and face the day, you know, and uh, I just you know what I mean? And now everybody's got to work the sun from sunrise to sunset because these weirdos woke up early and made it the law while they're still.
Speaker 1: Sleep a bunch of bridges that we have to use. And they're like, well, if you're gonna use our bridges, you gotta play by our rules, that's right.
Speaker 2: And I just feel like, man, all right, this is gonna be controversial. But all the most evil people in history, I'm certain there's no like the people that created the fossil fuel industry. They weren't rolling out of bed at twelve thirty like a bunch of badasses. Yeah no, they were not. You know, from like Stalin to whoever Trump. You know, I'm sure they're all up early.
Speaker 1: I think like to party and sleep in a little bit. They're actually sorry. He was beta means right, and he didn't sleep, Yeah he didn't. He didn't sleep much. But when he did, don't don't wake him up in the morning.
Speaker 5: Getting up early too, is also a form of punishment sometimes, you know, it'd be like get up and go work, or when you in jail, they would be like, all right, you can start working at one and be like nah, get up, wake up, call seven am like, that's what it's punishmentunishment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, dude. The look on somebody's face when they just woke up. If you've ever watched somebody while they're waking up, they look like somebody just punched them and handed them a puzzle to solve. It's like the most confusing face. You know, it's hard, it's hard waking up. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only time, the only time a person should wake up early is when, like you have a child, because you're teaching that child, and that child is just gonna wake up all the time. And but once that child learns to stay your ass asleep, then you you can go back and stay your ass sleep too.
Speaker 3: And we should all wake up collectively.
Speaker 5: At noon, yes, yeah, and then the workday should be four hours and then we can enjoy the rest of our night, go to bed whenever, and wake up and the day should be starting at noon.
Speaker 1: Are we still describing Europe basically?
Speaker 5: Yesus much to figure out, pretty much. But the thing that sucks though I'm not a morning person. I don't like the morning, I don't like waking up, but I still feel the guilt of sleeping in like, and it makes me so upset. Like whenever I if it's past nine thirty, I'm like I've wasted the day and like I haven't. I don't want to get up. I don't want to like be up. I want to stay in my bed. But like the guilt will fucking get me all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it's cultural. That's a cultural reaction to a bunch of dorks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Waking up early was invented by farmers and nerds, and nobody's ever had fun with them. I think fun is like building a barn is fun. That's work, right, that's work. Yeah, yeah, how do we how do we cram some work into this party? Let's build a fucking barn. Yeah. There, there's like a real rise and grind thing that I am am over, like the the thing with Mark Wahlberg and the Rock like being in competition to see who can like wake up earlier, like start their workout earlier, to the point that they're like now just doing it late at night, Like they're like getting up at two am to start their workout. Is seems like a form of like insanity.
Speaker 2: Dude, Like what are you running from? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Where? What is the pain?
Speaker 2: What pain exists? So deep in you that you can't like be There's that quote of like all the trouble in the world is man's based on man's inability to sit in a room alone.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, just with his thoughts.
Speaker 2: We're dealing with people who like, they're soaf They're like, it's the opposite of meditation, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, Like, yeah, exactly, go keep going.
Speaker 2: You're like, why why are we all going?
Speaker 1: Just one moment of silence and then the thought I should probably get on Instagram and stream this brother chow them my uh show my amazing at home portable mobile gym that costs it's basically an actual transformer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, what is uh? What's something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Dogs?
Speaker 1: Dogs? Okay, I've never heard of the I've I've been hearing some things, but I've never actually met one in person. Tell it, What's what's the deal with these things?
Speaker 2: I think that probably twenty five percent of all conversations should be about how great dogs are. I I got I didn't have a dog for a long time, and then I got a dog like a year ago. And this, dude, I know this. I'm not the first one to say this. But he well, the first one to say this. He greets me like women meeting Mick Jagger in the late sixties. Like every time I come home, he cannot believe he's wiggling. It's like if you had a friend who every time you saw them, they were so happy they just started dancing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, Yeah, just can't.
Speaker 2: He runs in circles. He runs in circles. He's so happy to see me, you know what I mean. That's like twice a day where I feel like a full on absolute rock and roll star.
Speaker 1: You know, that's great.
Speaker 2: It's so good. The guy soag. His name's Cody. He's an American Staffe. He's a little he's a genius. It's all he does is cuddle. It's improved my life dramatically.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 5: I have I've only had one dog in my life, and I'm dating someone now who has two dogs.
Speaker 3: But I currently also have two cats.
Speaker 5: And just like the difference, the difference in like energy is astounding and even you know, because dogs also like you have to almost train them to not be as excited. If not, they will maul you. It will just maul you if not, and like and then I'll come home ill, like may not see my cat for like a whole day, or if I go on vacation, I'll come home and then like one of my cats will be sleeping and I'll open the door and they'll just pop their hair and be like, oh it's you, and then like go back.
Speaker 3: I'm like fuck you, fuck you you.
Speaker 5: And it's so but like when cats want to be affectionate and cuddly and stuff, and I know somebody out there is like Mark comes to the fuck you like most cats don't.
Speaker 1: Your head has something wrong with it, then okay, your cat is a dog. I had the dog that was a cat. It would it would curl up in a beam of sunshine, lick its pause and was just very chill. I think it suffered from depression and but it like had the personality like anybody who came over was like that dog is doing the best impersonation of a cat.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also have two cats and one dog, and I love the cats. They definitely do this thing where they like they look at you like they're superior, but like I just watch you ship in a box inside, like how are you acting? You're a super bottle? Brian.
Speaker 3: Brian asked, who cleans.
Speaker 5: That'll be right, we clean up they ship done ready for you, congratulations. But you know, but but but I will say for cats, at least we get to use like a little Scooper and and you know it's it's masked in sand or whatever, you know, litter and.
Speaker 3: Ship but with the dog for the most part, with your hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, wild, totally forget about that.
Speaker 1: When you don't actively have a dog. It's so easy to forget.
Speaker 5: Imagine like your kids shitting jack and like instead of the diaper, you have to like grab it with your fucking hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean just wild this wild.
Speaker 1: It is, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kids shitting is a whole other thing. Now they're five and seven and not in diapers anymore, but they.
Speaker 3: Yet you're still cleaning up there now.
Speaker 1: They just love to like have conversations while it's happening. There's a like their brain enters a new phase where they're just like get real chilled out and like have deep philosophical questions for me, all of a sudden when they're taking a ship's weird contemplative. Yeah, they become real contemplative and ask me like the big questions. I'm like, I don't know, why is this happening?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: You have two sons, right, yeah, two boys?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, well listen, sound like me to just real huh.
Speaker 2: How do my bones move me?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 1: Things like that. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and we are at a point in history, just for people listening to this on Friday, we are at a point where Donald Trump's mugshot has not been released yet. I don't know if where where you people are it has been released. We we do not have any insight into the mugshot, although we have gotten to see like his team's mugshots. Have you guys seen seen those, Rudy Giuliani looking the most like a crooked politician who's been caught doing something, Like.
Speaker 3: I just it's pretty great.
Speaker 1: It's amazing that that is what he went with that, Like I don't I don't know if they were like if he didn't know when the picture was being taken, but he just looks so much like he's just yeah, like a corrupt politician being caught doing something, and like he's in the middle of the phrase like I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't.
Speaker 3: For meddling kids, ye.
Speaker 2: Liberals, like nobody else.
Speaker 1: Out of the group of mugshots, there's there's one guy who's like gone real evil, like there is a darkness inside his soul. The guy in the blue shirt. He looks like the mugshots of famous people, like when they're caught like doing a dui, Like you can see that their life is at the lowest point that it's ever been at like that, which again, it just feels like, I don't know, I assumed everyone go in smiling, right, Like isn't that what you're supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean that guy, the blue shirt guy looks like if you the people that commit the most like atrocious crimes or like, oh that guy had somebody in his basement for twenty that makes sense, That makes sense why he has that look on his face like he's devoid of any soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a woman smiling like. The youngest person in these pictures is a woman who is one of Trump's lawyers who would like go on Fox News and say things I forget her name, but she'd go on Fox News and say things that would make people be like, wait, you're a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Sorry, it says here you're a lawyer, but our researchers must have gotten that wrong, because what you're saying does not make any sense. But yeah, she's smiling. I think she got the she understood the assignment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and her picture looks the best picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she looks wonderful.
Speaker 5: Hair done, you know, got the little side part almost going down.
Speaker 3: I see her.
Speaker 1: I see a little new gingrich guy who's like also smiling and just looks like, you know, he's having a good time, which I think, I think that should always be your goal. In the mugshot is like they don't let the bastards get you down.
Speaker 3: He's also missing the top right of his skull.
Speaker 1: In feature, it's like a blown out Yeah, so white, his hair is so white. And then they've like blown out the lighting so much. He's just so he makes cameras not work anymore. He's just it looks like he's dissolving into light.
Speaker 5: But love that, Like I also love that, Like still to this it has to be purposeful, like with how great cameras are, Like they still use like like a six like megapixel camera for all ske like the iPhone can't get better pictures than these, but they still use the still the worst camera they can possibly use for mugshots.
Speaker 3: Cracks me up so much.
Speaker 2: Is so funny on Julianti is very like German expressionism, Like he looks he looks like nos Faratu, like got forced to go outside in the daytime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really does. Like he looked like they were just like asshole like and he he was like busily like devouring a mouse in the corner. And then they're like.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rudy, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: He's looking Yeah, you seem borrett too, all right, So that is happening. This is there's all sorts of things happening that you know. The timing isn't great on this one, guys. Uh debate was a whole night ago. Have you guys had any chance to like catch any of the clips anything jump out at you.
Speaker 3: I called a couple I'll call I'll call it dude.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna attempt to say his name because I will butcher it. We all know who I'm talking, Yes, Swami, yep, yeah, I I you know, love that my guy, good old VR. But I love that he's trying to poison him. So he even like said the same Obama line like I'm just a skinnercare with a funny last name. I bet you wonder why I'm up here. I'm like, dude, y'all shut your ass up. Yeah he's here.
Speaker 3: I think he wants to.
Speaker 5: It just cracks me up when like, because there's always the fresh faced one of the Republican group, and you know it's usually a person of color and like that bubbly but like, you know, I'm the smart young option. You know, basically is the is the is the Obama want to be of of the field, and he is. I think like in his mind he's like, I'm gonna be the I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Be that for this like field as far as.
Speaker 5: Young personal color, so white people can be like, see, we do support the black and browns, We support him.
Speaker 3: They just need to be a little bit more like him.
Speaker 5: Uh Like that's that's what he is. And he just cracks me up. But it's look, it's working. He's he's rising as from what I've heard and the clips and everybody's talking about him, you know, he's rising as what people are saying could be the second option. Yeah, Santis has kind of fallen off or.
Speaker 1: Had he had that smile, that one moment where he like gave you know what was like a pre canned I don't know exactly what he was like, and I'm your man, and that's why I'll be president and you can count on it, and I will never abandon you, and like hit his final line and then the camera lingered on him for like I guess two seconds longer than he was expecting. Or maybe this was like a smile that he had been practicing. We talked about it Yesterday's trending, but it's it was the worst, like the most fail catastrophically failed attempt at a smile that I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Like watching the Terminator learn to smile or whatever. Yeah, dude, he Doesanteo slet he I've watched a lot of comedy. He had the vibe of this was his third open mic, right, yeah, like he was he looked so nervous, Like he looked like he had forgotten how to swallow and kind of talk, you know, like there was there was a look on his face like he was like, right, I shouldn't be here. Uh is that mistake?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There are different things like that, there's that one viral post where he's like or that, you know, somebody's interviewing him, and like his eyes like go through these like different phases of like responding and like thinking about what his face looks like and thinking about like whether he's smiling, and like you can just see like things are coming apart inside of him, Like he's just like not able to like hold the forces within himself together anymore, and like that that seemed to happen at a few moments in the debate. It's not like he totally just lost his mind on up there, but he was pretty bad.
Speaker 3: He's I mean, we're starting to see. I mean, here's the thing. Here's why. When people was like, man, you know, I'm really worried.
Speaker 5: I'm very worried about the census, I was like, why why he gives off the energy of a woefully lame person who now has power. Yeah, and once he got to the national stage, he was gonna get his ass eight the fuck up. Why And But but the difference, though, is he has shame. He's trying to pretend like he don't, but he has, whereas Trump don't get no shame. You're like hit me up, I'll roast you back like which like unfortunately works as a politician. Desantans has shame, so that's why he's following upart because like he's getting his ass ate up and everybody's starting to see, oh, like you're also terrible, but you're just lame dude. You're a lame white guy. You have nothing else.
Speaker 1: He's just not Yeah, he's not built for it like Trump is. Yeah, Trump has a weird like Trump has the perfect personality disorder, where like he's uncomfortable unless he's like insulting someone or being insulted or like some part of him is like you know at stake, like unless like the like soul, like the hole in the center of his being that like you know, his narcissism is constantly trying to fill in for like and unless that is like propelling him like a jet engine. Like he's uncomfortable, whereas like Desantas is like furious like all the time, but he's like trying to hide it. And then he's just like thin skin and you can't see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like and and like look there's other people like like even Bush like was kind of thing scinned and weird and stuff. But like at his core, Bush was a frat boy cocaine. Like yeah, there was like there's like has a degree of no shame to him, Like there's like a.
Speaker 2: Childlike quality to Bush. I think that was like, Yeah, I like talking about shame as like the arbor of what's going on with these guys. Yeah, he wasn't smart enough to have shame. Yeah, right, I think his has buried a lifetime of shame. So it's like there's a I think there's like an ocean of shame that cannot be touched, like if you get anywhere near it. He's like you said, he's soup. He's a snake, right, Like his heart is a spider. That's what you have to fuck, that's what you have to have going on.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, these dudes.
Speaker 2: I think to really to have him be like fuck yet like that's what they That feels like power to them, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Santas is Catholic, so that that would make sense that he's got the shame, the focus on the shame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's like we should I think we should just run like Jeff Ross or something like you know what I mean, Like these like mid grade like insult comics, you know, right, Yeah, you should just get a professional there, just talk about his bad body and watch him cry, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, as we talked about yesterday, like that's what Trump was doing for for most of the debate, was just talking about how Biden has like a bad beach body. On his Tucker Carlson interview, we dug into that a little bit more. You can go listen to your trending episode from yesterday. But I don't know what they're trying to do with the beach thing. They're not. They look like he looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's insane. It's so funny, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: He loves to make fun of Chris Christy for being overweight, always on the verge of toppling over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's one cheeseburger away from being Chris.
Speaker 3: That's rude.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but he's talking about Yeah, it's just like.
Speaker 3: Brou do you see yourself? Like, what are you? What is you talking about?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: I think he's on oz epic though he's he's looking a little bit thinner. That's my guess is what's going on with both Trump and DeSantis. They both like seem like they're slimming down in a way that's probably not very healthy and.
Speaker 2: Not to like body ship. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being any weight at all. But when you come like everybody, oh that you were is fat, You're like, no, you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like do you see, Like what is you talking about?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but yeah, Vivek was kind of the big focus, you know, hence came for him, like this is such a such a blessing for him to get is like the Pence comes for him. He's like, this is not the time for on the job training, young man. You need to be experienced and know that when you're in battle you just close your eyes really hard and wish you were somewhere else, you know. But he basically called him out, and then Vivec proceeded to you know, go After that, he told Mike Pence the us s R no longer exists, which I thought was kind of a good burn told Christy Uh said that Christy is gunning for an MSNBC contributor position uh and that Nikki Hayley's likely future is on the board of a defense contractor instead of the White House. So he kind of like, yeah, good, solid, solid, burns.
Speaker 3: This is this is fucked up.
Speaker 5: This is so fucked up that like this is entertaining because these are terrible people who are like you know, running to basically lessen the quality of mine and so many others lives. Yeah, Like but like it's also like the nature that that is also the nature of Like I love sports, Jack, you love sports.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you love sports or not more, but like.
Speaker 5: It it makes me upset that Like when Trump was like, yeah, I'm not going to debate, I was like, yeah, why would he because like.
Speaker 3: The sport competitive brain in me is like, yeah, what, Like.
Speaker 1: The saber metrics on that decision were actually really solid.
Speaker 5: Upset. Yeah, but like from a political standpoint, is shit because we as the people, should hear what you have to say about where you want to take our country. Right. But the political game, the election game, has become such a spectacle and a sport that like it, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: So it's about.
Speaker 5: Burns and like all these things that have nothing to do with us essentially as far as like the actual people that you're trying to help is it's a game. It's a Game's popular contest.
Speaker 1: Vivek sells himself as a science guy, even though he claimed he's the only person on stage who claimed that climate change is a hoax. Also, like just based on you know, some people are like he was the focus because he's like serving as Trump's stand in because he's like a far right and experienced outsider outsider, and he is running third in Republican polling, so he has like a lot of interest I'm assuming from like younger people. He seems like he has more of a like younger person vibe. Whoever, the younger conservatives are I guess just like fascists for young fascists. I love him. But so he describes himself as a scientist who has developed a number of medicines, when in reality, he's just like a hedge fund grifter bro who got into the biotech industry and like it, is mostly known in that industry for a colossal failure that you know, because of the way he structured the deal that failed for everyone else, he got incredibly rich off of it. But what he did is he basically looked for patents for drugs that had been abandoned for business reasons, then bought them for cheap, and then invested heavily in developing the drugs, and his big first gamble was on an Alzheimer's drug, and it had like failed four times, but he was like, no, I really have feeling about this one.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Trust me here, I've got my leg businessman's intuition. This is gonna work out. He got the company to like a three billion dollar valuation on this model and on like all of his promises around this Alzheimer's drug, and then this is all before the new clinical trial happened. But you know, he had a good feeling about this one. And then when the drug finally conducted another clinical trial, it failed again like it had multiple times up to that point, and the stock price plunged. And you know, but because of the way the system set up, he's kind of insulated from the failure. And he made like four hundred million dollars off of doing what I just described.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, also, like I do, I'm a firm. I mean, this happens on every side of each eye, especially in politics, but like the notion that you just have to play the game as far as like climate change, for instance, in him saying it's a hoax, like even though he's you know, not a respectable or reputable scientist by you know, the terms of a respectable and reputable scientist. But like, I don't believe in one second he thinks climate change is a hoax. Like if you are around scientists enough and you actually believe in science, then you know the scientific, fucking life proven fact that climate change is not a hoax, right, So, like, but him as a Republican and him, you know, he has to say these It's kind of like when Obama and when he first you know, came onto the scene and he was like, you know, he was saying things like you know, I don't believe in gay marriage, when like I knew that to not be true because Obama went to the same church as my mom, who is a lesbian who got married at that church, and he was there, like you know, so like, you know, but he has to say that on a national stage, right, because that's where we are. And so like it's just sad to me that like some of these things have to be said and they're of detriment solely because it's just what you think most of your party believes. So you have to, like you got to play the game. And like, because I don't I don't believe it for once. I don't believe that for one second. Maybe maybe it's true, maybe he doesn't and he's a moron, but like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, if he's being honest, the reality is like I don't care the climate change exists, right rightists, I'm pocketing enough cash up this thing that I'll totally say that to like wild applause. Like he literally says, like we celebrated, we were taught to to celebrate diversity too much, That's what he said. Yeah, Like, dude, they're not gonna run Like okay, there's no what do you guys think they're gonna run a person of color? Like do you think that would possibly? Because yeah, maybe, Like here's who wouldn't vote for him is the old conservatives and they're like, I don't know, seventy five percent old you know right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know. I think what's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: I think what's gonna happen is all these people are running to possibly become Trump's vice presidential pick.
Speaker 1: Right. I think there's also some hope that like or his campaign falls apart because he's in jail.
Speaker 3: Oh well yes that too, yes that too, So it is needed that.
Speaker 5: But if he doesn't go to jail and he is able to continue with this campaign and he gets the nomination, I could see him picking somebody like VR, you know, solely because he you know, strategically, he thinks it'll give him votes that he would not get.
Speaker 2: Right Otherwise, he does TV well, right, That's the entire thing, now, Like that was the brilliant thing about bringing in Trump is that he is a television star, so he does TV relatively well. I don't even think that well compared to like normal TV people, you know what I mean. He's still like weird and sweaty and like, you know, kind of like like unpleasant to experience, you know, like he's like like his charisma kind of bums me out. But it's definitely there, you know where it's like, and that this kid, he's good at talking. He's good, Like you said, he had a couple of birds. He seemed like he enjoyed being there, like Kent seemed like the whole thing was a goddamn headache, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And always yeah, he always appears like you can just both him and Dessanta's get the sense like deep down they would not want to be doing this. They are tolerating this.
Speaker 2: And it's really condescending, sort of like religious right, like really disappointed in everyone. And that's why he like got booed when he said that thing to that kid. Is he was acting like he was talking to like a kindergartener. Yeah, you know, he's talking to vivic Nobody likes that shit. It's condescending, you know. Yeah, Whereas like there's a there's a huge in what Trump does, whether you think he's funny or not, Like it's it is kind of funny to be an asshole all the time, right, That's sort of that's like a known comedic persona like oh yeah, this guy's a monster dickhead no matter what happens. You know, It's like you could at least trust that there's a there's a confidence to it. I'm safe with this guy because I know he's going to be a jerk no matter what. Where it's like Pence and Disantos, they don't feel safe because you know they DeSanto seems like he might start crying.
Speaker 1: Or like or hit someone, you know. Yeah, yeah, it's he really seems like he's on the verge of like doing something catastrophe, like just really bad for himself for somebody like directly around him, like crying or an act of violence, like a profoundly violent thing, like seems to be like both with him, reachia at any moment.
Speaker 2: And I would, we would They want like somebody who's consistent in seeming powerful, even if that's like this desperate power that comes from like deep insecurity, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But just to kind of closed the loop, because so he's not a man of science, Like he doesn't spend time with scientists. He spends time with other billionaires. He's a fucking hedge fund guy. He's he's just a fucking financial grifter. There's a chance that maybe he believes the climate change thing or that it's a posture, but either way, it doesn't it doesn't really matter. He would he would if he were in power. We would be completely fucked.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just that that investment that made him super rich. The California State Teachers Retirement System lost a shitload of money on that one. Lots of other people lost a shipload of money. And it also like setback research on Alzheimer's drugs, Like it duped people out of money. But it also a expert on like the search for research into Alzheimer's was like that money would have been better applied almost anywhere else in the field. Well that's a direct quote, would have been better applied almost anywhere else in the field. So yeah, it's he's it's he has some sick burns, but like the shit he's doing.
Speaker 2: He's just like these guys the ability to destroy everyone who they come in contact with. I mean, we're looking at all the mugshots of the people who supported Trump, Like that's what he does foundationally, is whoever he gets involved with fucking goes down. When the house burns down, you know, And it's exactly like that's good, Like that's smart capitalism actually is that? You know. That's the thing is these guys, there's a cunning to them that is really intelligent. It's just disastrous for like society.
Speaker 1: For everyone else, and they're running for president to head up the whole society thing.
Speaker 2: You guys should get a fucking like you should get hazard pay for having to watch all this stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about Tom Cruise and we're back. So there are some recent reports in the world of Tom Cruise, speculating that he is stepping away from the religion. The evidence is sort of tenuous. He's just like, hasn't popped by the UK Scientology headquarters despite living there for the past few years. But people are like or it could just be he's like visiting a different scientific Like wait, you guys, evidence is that you're just camped outside of like a single Scientology center in London and haven't seen him.
Speaker 2: Like, but he he.
Speaker 1: Has been like less overtly like Scientology mascot and more like he's adopted the movies as his public facing. Really, He's like like, I'm the movies or are my religion? I'm the movies guy. Yeah, yeah, which I prefer that.
Speaker 3: I prefer that.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's town Cruise is a weird case, like because obviously it's.
Speaker 3: Weird.
Speaker 5: Scientology is scientology. We don't need to get into that. All the things we love, we love it, we love it, we love it, we love it. Oh yes, but all the things that we hate about Scientology and and you know the way we talk about it and the actual church and institution. Uh, we could say the same thing about Christianity as well. You know, it's just been a part of our country for millennia but or cent whatever. I don't know, But like, I get annoyed when people get mad at me for enjoying a Tom Cruise movie.
Speaker 3: The motherfucker I love it.
Speaker 5: I love a Tom Cruise movie like they're great, Like he is a movie star.
Speaker 3: He is a movie star, and I get it, and they're fun movies.
Speaker 5: And if he just wants to be like a movie star and leave the rest behind it, it's just like, all right, man, I would get I.
Speaker 1: Can see I.
Speaker 5: Can see him replacing the addiction of the religion of scientology for the addiction of the religion of Hollywood, like and acting and stunts and all the shit that he does. Like if Tom Cruise, if a news report came out next week saying Tom Cruise tragically fell fifteen thousand feet from an airplane and passed away, I would not be surprised, and I wouldn't even be sad, because I'm like, he died doing what he.
Speaker 2: Loved, falling out of the sky, falling from a space blimp, trying to set a world record for.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but yeah, so our writer JM. Wash went and saw the new Mission Impossible movie. I still haven't caught it.
Speaker 2: But I love it.
Speaker 3: It's great. It's good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he's saying that, like, there are some people who've been reading the entire franchise as a allegorical story about scientology. The best evidence I've read for this is the same year that Tom Cruise married Katie Holmes and roped her into his cult. Mission Impossible three hit theaters and found Ethan Hunt settling down and introducing his wife to IMF like the big you know, impossible mission fund or is that can't be what it is? But and then when ghost Protocol came out, like following his divorce, possibly due to scientology, Ethan and his wife similarly split because the IMF came between them, which like doesn't really make sense that they're like, no, you're too good at missions to be married, Ethan. And then in Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning, the movie villain is like this all powerful AI, but it could easily be seen as a stand in for scientology, like the human antagonist described as a Zelot who unquestioningly follows the AI entity has mysterious ties to Ethan's past, and apparently he joined the IMF right around the same time Cruz publicly declared that he was a scientologist. And also Simon Pegg's character is trying to diffuse a nuclear bomb early in the movie, which he can only do. This is the detail that got me, so I was like kind of like this theory is a little bit weird. But then there's this like scene where Simon Pegg's character is trying to diffuse a nuclear bomb and the entity, which is like this all powerful AI, quizzes him with personal questions that he could potentially use against him at a late date. So like he gets like his E meter reading, Like that's basically what the entity is doing to him. Like everything else is like, oh, well, you know, like movie stars have things happen in their movies that are similar to their careers, and like that's not like having the AI antagonist of your movie basically do the scientology E meter test to somebody. Well yeah, while they're like trying to battle it and diffuse it just feels that feels very weird. And also like the idea of that you use the E meter to get secrets about people and then use that against them, which is you know, kind of the main scientology thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, Jack if that if you if this is true, would that make you like or like more or like less the movie and the and the franchise.
Speaker 1: More definitely more, I'm always interested in Yeah, oh for sure.
Speaker 2: In this conspiracy theory, are we saying that the script writer is like leaking secrets or that Tom Cruise is trying to like it's like his like secret like message in a bottle note to the world that like please pay attention. You know what I'm saying, Like, who's in this theory? Who's responsible for this allegory, Like the script writer, maybe.
Speaker 1: The scriptwriter working with Tom Cruise and is like, for some reason, I just have this weird idea that this might resonate with you, So I've like created this scene. Also, the only way to defeat the entity is with a cruciform key, like a crucifix key, and Tom Cruise is like or it was originally a Catholic before he was a scientologist, so like to defeat scientology with literal crucifix. I'm just putting things out there. I think there's there might be Like Tom Cruise has said that he attended the seminary for a year and like before he became a scientologist, he called himself basically a born again Christian, So.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not like a credited screenwriter.
Speaker 2: On the movie. But did you there's this move? What is this? There's a movie called Room two thirty seven. I think, oh yeah, yeah, it's all about the different conspiracy theories that people shining, and really it's about the depth of the art of Kubrick's the shining that you can sort of like you know, map onto anything, this beautiful piece of art, and I feel like that's what we're doing here, except for this one is correct.
Speaker 1: Except in this case it's absolutely correct and scientifically.
Speaker 2: Actually, Cruise is a priest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you imagine Tom Cruise as a priest? Like how but he does have that like weird, otherworldly like joy that is like makes you suspicious, or at least makes me suspicious of priests.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah yeah, but he also has like the charisma and the ability to talk to anyone as well that like is both off putting and disarming at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank scientology. It saved us from like Tom Cruise as the pope, you know, like he would be the pope right now if he had gone and gone that way.
Speaker 2: He's the kind of priest who would be like, somebody come up here and wrestle me. For god, I don't know I believe anymore, but wow, that was like quite a show.
Speaker 1: Tommy well More, It's been such a pleasure having you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Where Can People Find You? Follow you all that good stuff? Yeah, just at Mort Burke on all the stuff and uh yeah, go watch Spiritually Filthy. It's on YouTube and I'm proud of it. Thanks for having funny Yeah, thanks, man, appreciate it. Great to be really good.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying that you want to send people to.
Speaker 2: Uh, I like the new Bronze video on Thrasher. I'm a big skate fan. Oh okay, yeah, yeah, that's what I've That's what I've enjoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh and I recently saw a vast of Night. Did you guys see that? I don't think so. This great indie like super low budget sci fi thing. I think it's on Amazon. It came out like twenty nineteen that I missed it. It's really great. I would recommend that. All right, go check it out.
Speaker 1: Jaquis. Where can People Find You? Is there a working media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: Ah, you know what, you can always and every time find me in these streets.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 5: Always a pleasure, always a pleasure being on TDZ Love the Zeight Gang. Good to see you Jack at Jackie's Nail on Everything. Also, everybody, Comedian Feud is happening this Sunday. If you live in Los Angeles, come out to it. If you don't live in Los Angeles, we are doing a live stream. It's summertime, so ticket sales are always the hardest in the summertime, and we're in the middle of a two strikes so everybody's broke here in LA. But you know, if you are out in the Zeit Gang you want to see it, I can use your ticket sales.
Speaker 3: This is a fifteen dollars live stream.
Speaker 5: We got your main Fowler from The Blackening from coming to America too, Sorry to bother you. We also have Steph Tolev and Britney Ferland as the team Captain's Jay Washington doing stand up. It's going to be a dope ass time, so buy some tickets. Comedian Feud. And also on the same day this Sunday, August twenty seventh, my episode of Celebrity Family feud comes out, so watch that.
Speaker 3: Wow, it could be a double. It could be a double.
Speaker 5: Few day double features in your house here double feature, so check that out. I would very much appreciate it. There's a workermedia that I'm like, and who's that and it's not there. I want to be very very clear that this is not about anybody. I just found this so funny, and it's a it's a dude slurping like a big ass coffee cup of ice, coffee or drink or whatever, and he's like giving side eye to somebody and he says, when you're staring at your girl and you realize she low key kind of ugly.
Speaker 2: So fun.
Speaker 5: But also like I've also thought like sometimes when people are staring at me, and I was like, they probably think I'm ugly, drinking in, drink.
Speaker 1: It in, yes, yes, give the yeah, smiling, and.
Speaker 3: Then it cuts to and then it cuts to a girl who's like.
Speaker 5: Beautiful, yeah yeah, and like she's like mm hmm and you like me too. I just thought that was so funny.
Speaker 2: That's like I didn't know I needed glasses for a long time because I didn't have health insurance and I want to get my driver's license and they're like, you can't read any of these letters, dude, legally need glasses. So I got glasses and everybody looked different. I was like, oh and even like even unattracted people were interesting because I was like, oh my god, people have like imperfections on their faces. It was.
Speaker 3: Yes, so funny that.
Speaker 1: The marriage has ever fallen apart because someone didn't realize they hated glasses and then.
Speaker 2: Like, oh god, damn that. Oh no, it's a beautiful blur.
Speaker 1: What I've heard about a people who were engaged and then did mushrooms together and then, uh, we're not engaged after they did mushrooms together.
Speaker 3: Because they both they both came to realizations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can'tnot see you with like a hawkhead or.
Speaker 1: Whatever tweet I've been enjoying. Uh So, Elon Musk tweeted, this was big news, I'm sure to everyone. I have overcome the desire to be liked laughing crying emoji for some reason. And Noah Garfugle tweeted, and I have overcome the desire to dunk a basketball.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 1: Put you can find me on Twitter at Jack Undersquore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeikeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes for link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song we think you might enjoy. Super producer Brian, do you have a song that you want to recommend?
Speaker 6: The song for you guys today is perfect b u r FicT by jpeg Mafia and Danny Brown from their their hit album Scaring the Hose Scary. Check it out. It's it's scary as.
Speaker 1: Fuck, oh no, successfully Scaring the Hose and it's just got one of the most incredible beats I've heard this year. So yeah, check out Scaring the Hose Perfect. All right, Well, we'll link off to that in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we'll talk to y'all then Bye.