Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. Listener mail. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick, and it's Monday, the day of each week that we read back messages from the Stuff to Blow your Mind mail bag. If you have never gotten in touch and you would like to, why not give it a shot. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Whatever you want to send is fine. Obviously a lot of people send in feedback to recent episodes. Maybe they have something interesting they want to add to something we talked about, or a question about the subject matter. Corrections are welcome as well. Any of that. Just send it on in. Or if you just want to say hello, tell us how you listen to the show, where you're from, and so forth, that's all fair game too. Send it on in contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Let's see, Rob, do you mind if I kick things off with this message for Steve about our series on the on Horse Hooves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have it, Steve.
Speaker 3: Says, Hi again, Robert and Joe in Your Hooves Part two, Episode Robert briefly mentioned the discovery that five fingers become one in horse embryos during one of the phases of their growth. I have to stop you right there, Steve. That was me that said that, not Robert. But you know, people mix us up sometimes It's okay, it happens. Yeah, we're not wearing name tags. Steve goes on. Though quite interesting, this revelation did not surprise me because it seems like I've read about similar discoveries regarding the development of embryos and all kinds of different animals, not specifically about fingers, but a general pattern of growth that seems to repeat known evolutionary developments, beginning from the very simple and progressing to more complex forms, almost like a reenacted history of a given animals deep evolutionary past up to its present physical paradigm or morphological configuration. This possibility is fascinating, but I don't know if there's a biological term for it, or if it is something that has even been rigorously examined as a legitimate part of the gestation slash growth process of embryonic science. I'm not a biologist or a scientist, but I have been a student of human anatomy and how it affects external form. Having professional experience as both a biomedical designer of three D printed titanium surgical guides and as a figurative sculptor. From this perspective, I can imagine how there might be structural slash shock absorbing advantages to merging five fingers together from one in your example of a horse hoof, if some traces of the other four remain integrated with the whole. This is a crude analogy, but if you try to break five sticks in a half, it can be more difficult than breaking one, because there is potentially more flexibility in the separate thin sticks than one thick one. At the risk of betraying my profe ignorance, I also wonder if there is some kind of potential energy conservation in the storage of DNA derived information used by nature to control embryonic development from simple to more complex states inherent in the DNA simply stacking revised versions of itself on top of older versions. Thank you as always for the fantastic content, and congrats again to Joe on being a new dad. Happy Father's Day, Steve. Oh, thank you Steve well. Regarding your question about animal embryos sort of repeating their evolutionary history as they develop. We could come back one day and do a deeper dive on this, but I'll try to do the very short and simple version. There is actually an obsolete hypothesis in the history of evolutionary theory, no longer held to today, associated most with the German naturalist Ernst Heckel, that proposes that as an animal embryo develops, it essentially goes through all of its ancestral forms from quote lowest to highest. So a developing horse embryo would at some point to sort of become a fish and then become a primitive tetrapod, et cetera. This idea was summarized in the slogan that quote ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny ontogeny meaning the development of an individual organism, phylogeny meaning its evolutionary history. We note today that as a blanket statement, this hypothesis was not correct. In fact, it seems that while Ernest Teckel was a great illustrator, he probably fudged some of his drawings of animal embryos to make them better fit with his hypothesis. But a few general comments about this idea. First of all, in evolution, there is not actually a higher or lower. You can order your ancestors or the ancestors of a species chronologically, but that progression is not actually like climbing a mountain of sophistication or refinement to quote high higher forms. At each stage, the organism is simply adapting to its environment and whatever pressure has happen to weigh upon it at that point in time. But even more importantly, scientists have discovered that ontogeny, the growth of an individual organism, is something that itself evolves like, so how an organism grows is something that can be selected for, and different organisms go through different kinds of developmental stages that are selected for the needs of the species. But it is true that organisms in development often do manifest particular features that look like the embryonic forms of distant ancestors, even if those forms are not found in adults of the embryo's own species. Hence, you get horse embryos with five distinct toes before they vanish and then become more like the horse hoof that it will have when it's after it's born, or you get things like a rob You mentioned this example, when it came up in the episode Untold Nostrils and Dolphins. Dolphin embryos will first have a more frontally positioned nostril that gradually moves to become a top facing blowhole as the embryo develops. But this kind of thing is contingent. These are isolated examples of where that happens, and as a general rule, an organism does not have to go through all of the past stages of its evolutionary history during growth. Sometimes it shows some of them, and so the interesting question becomes in the cases when it does. Why is that? I don't know enough to comment on your idea about like the efficiency of information storage in DNA, whether it's more efficient to just like stack the new plan on top of the older I couldn't say, but it could be interesting to come back and look at that someday.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right. The next message comes to us from Jamie concerning our episodes on Dreams and if memory serves this, I think this came out after the first episode, but before the second. Yeah, Jamie writes, Dear Robert and Joe, I'm enjoying the pod as always, and especially your recent episode on Dreams. It reminded me that, as Frank Herbert tells us, dreams our messages from the deep. I wonder if Herbert was drawing in this as in so much of the Doom series on Islamic tradition, in which there is a long history of the interpretation of dreams. In fact, there is a hattoth Or tradition in which the prophet Muhammad is said to have said a good vision is from Allah and a bad dream is from Satan, with various later scholars developing methods for distinguishing good from bad dreams. If this sounds very similar to Homer's Gates of Horn and Ivory, I think that's probably because, rather than being some kind of opponent or negation of classical antiquity, much of early Islamic thought and civilization was actually a continuation of it. Looking forward to the next installment, best wishes, Jamie, Well, thanks for Jamie where of course, we're always up for any questions or comments concerning Dune And now this particular quote. Joe and I were just talking about this off mic before we came in here, but this quote is from the recent Part one movie adaptation, but does not occur in the actual Frank Herbert novel.
Speaker 3: Or at least we couldn't find evidence of it. I think it is not in the novel. I saw some website in my quick googling here saying it was just unique to the film, but it is how the Dnievil New movie begins.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now that's not to say dreams are not important within the novel Dune, and then ultimately within the larger series of Dune novels that Frank Herbert wrote, dreams do play an important role there, and of course he does draw tremendously on Islamic culture and Islamic ideas, including I think, the importance of dreams. At the same time, he also ends up drawing heavily on like Jungian ideas of concerning like dreams. So I think likely with this quote that they put together for the film, they are you know, they're hinting at both of those.
Speaker 3: Now, Jamie, As for your quote from the Hadith, I was interested in this, so I went and looked it up in a couple of online databases for the hadith, which are collections of the sayings and sometimes the deeds of the prophet Muhammad, organized by like which teacher or companion of the prophet recorded or narrated them. So when I dug this up on an English language resource called the Prophetic Hadith Encyclopedia, it records two very similar sayings next to each other. One of them is passed on by Abu Qatada, which says a good vision is from Allah and a bad dream is from the devil. If any one of you sees something which he dislikes, he should spit on his left three times and seek refuge with Allah from the devil, then it will not harm him. And then there's a second recorded similar to the second half of that. This one is attributed to the version told by Jabir that says, if any one of you sees a dream which he dislikes, then let him spit three times on his left side, seek refuge with Allah from the devil three times, and then change his sleeping position. And the interpretive material with it says that this last piece of advice probably means if you're sleeping on one side, roll over to the other side. And it struck me as interesting because the advice attributed to the prophet here for repelling a nightmare, which may well be from Satan, is a mix of the sacred and the mundane, like it says to take refuge with Allah to be protected from the devil, but also to roll over onto your other side. Oh yeah, and also to spit three times on the left side. So yeah, scholars of the Hadith or Islamic history, if you're listening, you've got any contexts on this kind of advice, I'd be curious if there's anything more to know about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because we in the second episode in our dream series, we get into some Islamic dream traditions, but they are keyed into a very particular time and place within the Islamic world. So there's so much that we did not research or cover for that part of the episode. All right, so we skip ahead to some Weird House Cinema messages.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, So to kick things off on Weird House Cinema, I'm going to mention that we heard back from Michelle who wrote in and we read her message on a previous Listener mail episode where she described a movie that she had seen about a woman who left her human boyfriend in favor of a relationship with a robot. Gave us some plot details and so forth, and we were trying to figure out what the movie was. We failed. We also tried to see if AI could help us with the task. AI also failed. But then we read the message out and it turns out that one of the listeners who got in touch with the potential answer was on the money. Michelle says, thanks guys, and Chris. Chris was the listener who wrote in about this. The Creation of the Humanoids is the movie I was thinking of. This was the one from the nineteen sixties, was not in black and white as she originally said. I think this one is in color. But Rob you said this one looked like it was worth a look.
Speaker 2: I believe Michael Weldon's write up of it said it was fun and hey, it has Dudley man Love in it, with that cinematic charisma like that in the cast. You can't dismiss it. You've got to go in for a closer look.
Speaker 3: Don't you sometimes wish it had been Dudley man Love in the role in two thousand and one, Like he's the one going through the stargate, He's there in the baroque French room and all that.
Speaker 2: Man, If only, if only it could have been your stupid mind. This the next one comes to us from Kelsey. Kelsey says, Hello Robin Joe. While I love the regular feed of science efacts and tellings, I normally only half listened to the Weird House Cinema episodes, as I have never had the attention to watch movies, and especially ones with strange plots, weird storylines, etc. However, when I saw Blade come across this week, I knew I had to listen see. I am a young millennial whose mother had a strange fascination with Wesley Snipes. So when these movies came out, and when we subscribe to mail order Netflix in the following years, my mom insisted that her children watch them with her. Now, my sister and I are neither quite thirty years old yet, so this places us in the under ten category when these movies were released. This may not seem strange except for the fact that I was raised in a very Christian conservative household where Harry Potter and the Da Vinci Code were banned. I was shocked when you describe the amount of cursing in the movie, as in our household, even euphemisms for such as darn or frick were off limits. Anyways, I guess it goes to show you how much influence Wesley Snipes has in the world. Ps. I also had a garage TV growing up with that my dad would often watch while working on cars, tractors, et cetera. I believe it was the style that they built in VCR.
Speaker 3: Sincerely, Kelsey, is this because I mentioned that I watched Blade on a garage TV?
Speaker 2: I think you did. Yeah, that was as an episode from last year that we reran recently.
Speaker 3: Well, I love this email. So yeah, Harry Potter, the Da Vinci Code demonic, absolute hard. No, but Blade the R rated non stop swearfest with like beheadings and people like melting into piles of blood. That's good.
Speaker 2: Well, you know where Blade stands, you know where he stands, and it is just it's a captivating performance. It's just as we discussed at length in that episode. I mean, Wesley Snipes just absolutely brings it.
Speaker 3: Who could disagree? But wait, Kelsey says she she says these movies so not just Blade. It sounds like she's talking about the Blade franchise. Like, Kelsey, if you if you want to reply to us again, do you mean that your mom also Netflix ordered Blade two and Blade three and so forth. I don't know if there ever was a Blade four, Like did you see them all?
Speaker 2: No, there was no four. There was there was Blade one, terrific, Blade two, incredible, Blade three almost entirely disappointing outside of like one or two lines from Blade. Then there was a TV series which I haven't seen, that does not have Wesley Snipes in it. And then I think there may have been some animated stuff as well, and so forth here and there. But you know, we're on the we're on the cusp of getting a new Blade film. His fingers crossed that they can they can make it work. It sounds like it's off to they keep changing who's involved in it, and there have been some shakeups with it, but I mean, at hard it sounds like they're going back to some of the core material concerning this character. And yeah, I'm fingers crossed that it's great.
Speaker 3: I actually saw Blade two since we recorded that episode. A friend of mine was like, well, you've got to see it, and he brought it over for us to watch. It was fantastic fun. But that movie is so two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I haven't watched it in many years at this point, but I mean, it's got that Del Toro charm to it. Like Del Toro's monsters definitely occupy the film monsters that you're supposed to be a sympathetic for on some level, but they also are entirely monstrous. Yeah, there's a lot to love in there, but there are some aspects of it there maybe a little rougher around the edges. I know that del Toro was never completely satisfied with some of the CGI elements and so forth.
Speaker 3: Everything CGI heavy from the early two thousands will, I think, always have that issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you need to see Blade Trinity and complete the journey.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking of dated visual effects, do Rob do you mind if I finish up with this message from Jeff go for it. A quick note, this was a very long email, so it's edited a bit for length. Sorry about that. Jeff just took a few things out and tightened it up. Jeff says, greetings regarding the series on three D movies, your description of the mask this is the one from the sixties, not the Jim Carrey reminded me of the best implementation of three D I've ever seen. The Magic Journeys three D movie at Epcot in the early nineteen eighties, Epcot was still a place of wonder and cutting edge tech. I was fascinated by the touchscreen GUI interface. I guess that's gooey gooey interface on the world key park information Kiosks, which did Google Maps tricks years before the first Macintosh, was a thing, offered a search engine, played video, and operated like a modern website. You could also make restaurant reservations via video phone parentheses. Pretty Much every conversation began with the Epcot representative explaining that yes, I am a real human, and yes I can see you just like you can see me. While Blade Runner and other films were telling us that the future would be nothing but boundless misery, Epcot attractions matter of factly explained that in the twenty first century, you'll go to school at the bottom of the ocean, call your friends terraforming the desert via three D phone, visit your relatives on holidays in suburban space stations, etc. Everyone would be living the dream, a fulfilling life with plentiful resources. Integrated into all the fantasy was real life, impressive tech that actually worked. Magic journeys was featured in the Journey into Imagination pavilion in the now corrupted and renamed Future World section of the park. Isn't that the name of the sequel to Westworld?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is Future World, but a different attraction.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay. Jeff goes on where the other attractions focused on specific elements of future living. The imagination Pavilion explained that those innovations would be impossible without human creativity and abstract thinking. Your description of the mask reminded me of a sequence of eerie floating masks from the film, which begins as a dreamy, trippy flight of wonder and at the halfway point turns decidedly creepy and weird. House. One scene in particular featured a witch shooting lightning bolts from her fingers directly at the audience, and to my eyes, the bolts seem to end just inches in front of my nose. Usually at least one small child would start crying loudly at that point. I've never before or since seen an effect that seemed to jump so far out of the screen. And then Jeff provides some links to like a podcast I think about this three D film in a video showing samples from it. Jeff goes on the eight millimeter film to YouTube conversion leaves a lot to be desired, but I assure you the visuals were stunning. The deliberate slow pace created the feel of altered consciousness, although this does not translate at all in a crappy two D resolution, and you might be tempted to hit the two X speed button. However, the music is worth experiencing properly. It was similarly bizarre, featuring rich eighty synth and freaky lyrics about quote splashing in the stream of an unremembered dream end quote, the atoms that repose in the heartbeat of a Rose. Disney would never make anything so meditative and aggressively weird these days, and then an unrelated Jeff also recommends an Amazon Prime video series called Jean Claude Van Johnson, which is about Jean Claude Van dam quote. The premise is that JCVD, the actor, was also a secret agent in real life. It's an action comedy that is both a parody and a celebration of the actor in his movies VANDAM is hilarious in multiple roles and a surprisingly effective actor and good sport. You can easily binge the whole series in a weekend, and then he goes on to say some things. Apparently it also ends in a cliffhanger. But to wrap it up, Jeff says finally, in regards to attempts to conceptualize distance between the planets discussed in the Urinus episodes, on the Washington Mall in DC, beginning near the Air and Space Museum, there is a one to ten billion scale model of our solar system. The Sun is about the size of a grapefruit, and following the trail along the sidewalk, you quickly run into the inner planets, with information stations and size comparisons at each one. By the time you get to Neptune, it's easy to forget why you were walking in that direction in the first place, especially with all the exciting distractions in DC. Thanks for continuing to present us with diverse information pour into our brains while stuck in traffic and doing otherwise tedious chores. You are appreciated, Jeff. Well, thank you. Jeff. I had never seen this movie. I think I went to Epcot as a young child, but if I saw this, I don't remember it. So I looked up like a YouTube rip of this film. Obviously, as you say, you can't really get the feeling of what it would be like with three D. But the Witch was extremely funny. She's kind of like the you know, she's like the Wizard of Oz Witch, like green makeup and the long fingernails and stuff. Beyond that, I did get to the part you were talking about with the masks flying out of the screen. There's like an onny mask asteroid that blasts at you. Later, there is also a clown segment that has strong resemblance to when Trumpy does magic things in Pod People, but with clowns running out of the screen and screaming at you. And also, I don't know if this is like a sign of a neurological disorder on my part, but when I watched this movie, I could literally smell cigarettes. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I'm always impressed anytime I learned something new about the like the history of Epcot and so forth. And I got to go to Epcot in the last year for the first time, and you know, I know, they are aspects of Epcot that folks like to rag on here and there, but I really enjoyed it. I also admire this kind of like this retro now retro optimistic vision for the future, you know, in which technology, like you say, is going to make everything brighter. I also thought about it a lot when we were discussing the black Hole. Like I say, I guess it's the imagineer's fingerprints on that one, but I feel like it has strong epcot energy, even if it's ultimately telling a darker story away from Earth. They don't really talk about Earth much in that. They're just like, oh, you know, things are the same, it's going great. But what what what they mean by boring is like amazing. You have no idea. It's just it's only boring to them because they're used to all the flying cars and so forth.
Speaker 3: And telepathic clowns screaming in your face. Yes, but I don't know. Sometimes I think on weird house cinema, it might be fun to feature more like non narrative films, things like this that on some like special episodes. I don't know, that could be a fun different kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing to do, like an amusement park films like the like.
Speaker 3: What were service industry training films or anything? Anything sufficiently weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's sufficiently weird. Then it's you know, we're already halfway there, right, all right. Well, on that note, we're going to go and close it out for today, but hey, write in. We'd love to hear from you any questions or comments about past president or future episodes of Stuff to Blow your Mind, Weird House, Cinema, Artifact, Monster Fact, other episodes of listener Mail. It's all fair game, so sent them in and you'll find these episodes on Mondays in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feet.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.