Speaker 1: The sun was out, the temperatures were high, and so was the connection from Drake May to AJ Brown. We'll break it all down right now. Welcome into the Patriots Camp cast presented by New Balance. Paul Perolo and Evan Lazarre with you today. And I thought, Evan, this was the most impressive day we've seen yet for the offense. Just the second day in pads, but they absolutely controlled. I thought all of the action, especially in the passing game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drake May was on fire today. I didn't see the ball touch the ground. We were just talking about that and I walk into the studio. Did we see an incomplete pass from Drake May. I believe you're into the stats eleven of eleven for Drake May today in eleven on eleven, that's swelling a lot of elevens. But Drake made finding Aj Brown down the field. Hunter Henry pop Douglas caught a great one little backpedal corner route to end practice. This looked like the guy during the regular season last year that was putting up insane numbers from Drake May. So all that talk Paul about maybe a slower start, especially for AJ Brown early on in camp, I feel like the last two days, we've seen that connection.
Speaker 3: Find it's footing a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to a lesser extent with Dobbs as well. You know, he's starting to become a little bit more involved every day. But I can't help Evan, but notice just how comfortable Drake may looks, you know, the teammateer talking about it. He's more vocal, he seems more confident, and it shows. I mean, I think that he's coming out and he's telling you after practice that he's not going to shy away from taking these shots. He's especially not going to shy away from taking shots to aj Brown, right, So he's not one of these young quarterbacks that's sort of I don't want to say intimidated, but deferring to the veteran star receiver, I don't think that he looks at it that way. I think that's a great sign for the offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he's really throwing the ball a lot more consistently too, now that he's getting a little bit of a rhythm. I think early on in camp probably be thrown live bullets in a while, And so now we're getting to the point where you see that rhythm and like I said, the ball hasn't hit the ground very much over the last couple of days. I think we got to talk a little bit about AJ Brown though, and just the I think every day he's just kind of getting better and better and a better connection. And one of the things that I thought early on you kind of have to figure out as a quarterback, is this a time to give him a chance? You know, I think he has that rapport with Kaishan Boudi already where he knows if it's a fifty to fifty ball, it's kind of my guy's eighty twenty ball, right and getting that field throwing the ball down the field for AJ Brown today, Gonzo with a little stutter and go and got right behind him on a double move against the blitz that I think Gonzales thought the ball was going to come out quickly because of the blitz and Brown got behind him and that was to me, I don't know about you, but probably the best downfield connection we've seen from the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because as much as and I totally agree, we talked Mike and I talked, you know, after the Thursday practice about how it was baby steps for AJ Brown, but I the one caveat that I would have is a lot of the catches that he had on Thursday were really dialed up specifically for aj Brown. Quick slants, you know, three step drop balls out bang, that's the intended receiver. That wasn't the case today. Some of the stuff was later developing much better, much more impressive. The double move that you talk about would be exhibit A. Yeah, and you also provide some some good context with Gonzales and his mindset probably on that play. I think Kevin Byard might have been providing some pressure on that play, So it's certainly Gonzo. It's probably expecting the ball to come out a little quicker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, third down, you're playing the sticks on third down, especially with the blitz, you think the ball is going to come out quickly. And these are always those bang bang plays a training camp. Kevin Byard's obviously not going to lay out the quarterback in a training camp practice. So would he have gotten there? Would he not have gotten there? I'm going to give this one to the offense. But it was close. You know, Byard was in his face in the backfield. You know, the crossing route in the red zone that he hit on on was a really nice throw. Kind of reminded me of the Kyle Williams throw in Tampa last year. We bent the bullet around the offensive line and led AJ Brown into the end zone for another touchdown.
Speaker 3: So you're starting to see that connection really catch some fire.
Speaker 1: So I mean offensively, you know, the layman like me of you know, we're watching all these passes getting completed, you know, to Mario Douglas and AJ Brown and Romeo Dobbs, and I'm excited about that. The ball knowers like you spent some time before they got into the team periods. There was a lot of one on one action down at the far end with the offensive lineman and the defensive lineman going one on one. What did you see?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so one caveat off the top. No Christian Barmore today, right, No gay back is still no Harold Landry. So those are three players for the defense and these drills that you expect to be able to win some one on ones and beat some blocks. So the defense a little bit shorthanded. But I thought offensively, starting with the offensive line, I had Campbell three to zero and one on ones. I think he's looked really, really good in those A little bit more aggressive, which I think is what we all wanted to see. His technique looks really sharp. He's kind of had Draymont Jones' number and one on ones to start camp. Not as good for Caleb Blomo in this one. I thought he was better yesterday today. Had some struggles with Ponder and a lot in Swinson. Braiden Swinson on a few reps. So Brandon Swinson though, I thought that was the first time that I saw some flash from him, good spin move. He also had a good rush over the guard. They had him run rush inside a little bit and we won over the guard too.
Speaker 3: So you know, a couple of those.
Speaker 2: Depth guys Jeremiah Farms and one guy that I keeps popping up in these one on one drolls, Paula Isaiah, who was a guy that was on this team last year.
Speaker 1: He had maybe the most dominant rep of that whole period down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's looked really impressive throughout the first couple of days in pads. I thought he had a decent camp last year, and he got hurt towards the end of training camp, if I'm remembering correctly, and had to spend the season on injured reserve. So if you're looking for you know, they're gonna have bar More and Williams and Dirden, But who are the guys that are going to be the fourth, fifth, sixth defensive tackles.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit of a push there for MIAI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, Elijah Ponder has gotten a lot of you know talk early on in camp, and that was one of the ones that Lomu had, I think the very first rep for Lomu. Yeah, he looked like he just wasn't ready. I mean, he got around him, barely got a hand on him. So in Loman's defense, I thought, you know, as the drill progressed, I thought his play progressed as well. He was better on Thursday than today, certainly. But found one thing interesting Evan in talking you know, after practice, Rominder Stevenson talking about how much he likes the way the offensive line is moving people around. Yeah, and he threw the tight ends into that too. And our guy Tanner Arkin, yes, drawing some praise from Stevenson.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought Tanner Arkin kind of liked Lomu maybe better, a little bit better yesterday than didn't notice him as much today. But I thought that he's been throwing his weight around and I kind of liked what I saw. I rared him too as a blocker. Today line he kicked out Brandon Swinson. They were doing a little five on five like inside six run drill early on in practice, and he opened a hole for the running back. My guy jam Miller keeps making me write his name down to running the football. But Brandon Swinson was on the edge and Reardon got him, kicked him out, opened the hole. So some good blocking from those two rookies, which I think that's the big question, especially for Raredan, excuse me, is can he block in line especially and maybe you know, get on the field a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Right, those two guys ark and rear it In. You don't want to get into a position where you know, Okay, Arkan's out there, so it's going to be a running play. Raredin's out there, so it's going to be a pass. You want to make sure that they can do a little bit of both. And you know you talked about rared In today showing at least some capacity to be able to block. They continue to try to throw some of those you know, those little play action boots into the flat to the tight end. I think those are great first down plays. Take the seven yards. Arkin caught one of those today, sideline, be interesting to see if Drake May continues to throw it to him. Take the check down. Yeah, you know on a first and ten Arkins out there, they're going to be loaded up for the run, right, So take the seven yard completion, take the easy, easy cash, and stay ahead of the chains that I think that would be a really big key for those two tight ends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you nailed it.
Speaker 2: With the predictability, that's my biggest fear is I don't want them to be super run pass predictable, where if it's a formation all of a sudden, you're putting Arkin and Gilliam and Hollins in the game, it's going to tell the defense seventy percent of the time this is a run, right, And so one of those tight ends either needs to flash Arkin as a receiver or Rearden as a blocker to be a little bit less predictable.
Speaker 3: As my allergies just kick my butt over here.
Speaker 1: All right. So with your allergies kicking your butt, we'll wrap this up. Just a couple of really quick bookkeeping notes. Carlton Davis also missed his second straight practice dealing with an apparent leg injury. Christian Barmore, as Evan mentioned early on, was not seen today. Don't know if that's a maintenance thing. We'll keep an eye on that. None of the players on lists have returned, so same five guys there. Brandon Crosley, who was not at practice on Thursday, was back. Some reports indicated that he may have welcomed his first child into the world. So in one final thing, Otis Reese, third year linebacker, was released by the Patriots before practice started this morning, so they will be back at it, presumably in pads again tomorrow, although I will say this was a pretty intense practice today, a lot of reps, lot of eleven on eleven works, so we'll see. But Saturday's practice ten fifteen am. Here in Foxbow has always Checkpatriots dot com for the latest updates with the schedule